August 3rd, 2009

'Entourage': Running on E

Let's begin right at the point where Andrew Klein's dignity goes "buh-bye" and he officially reaches the level of "schmuck emeritus."

cole piven

Can we talk about a guy falling face down? Good grief, Charlie Brown. I know the forecasts in this blog have called for "cloudy with NO chance for this meatball," but Andrew Klein has delivered beyond my wildest dreams.  We can talk about a guy being hated in record time, but the interesting thing about this is his personal/professional implosion hasn't even fully blossomed yet.  Last night's stage one was just awful. Stage two? EPIC.

I expect this story line to play itself out until the bitter end with Klein doing something in the neighborhood of spontaneously combusting in the Miller-Gold offices. It's going to get uglier. Stay tuned for the aforementioned stage two.

As for the rest of the show, a few different angles were covered well.  We got to see more Johnny Drama this week with his "love interest testing" and the perfectly chosen music tracks that accompanied each scene. The timing was outstanding and every song was downright euphoric.

Also, we were given a dose of Eric and Ashley's "midday office tryst." I must admit, Ashley's emergence as a character is confusing and "wrinkles my forehead," if you will. It feels like she's likable for a moment, but then I smack myself for such a thought and all is well once again.

Meanwhile, the sad, comical concept of Turtle school shopping can be summed up simply with the sight of him in argyle. Argyle? Really?

And, as usual, EVERY Ari Gold scene was compelling and great to watch. Jeremy Piven's mastery of this character seems to enter another stratosphere each season and this one is no exception.

By the way, I have made a personal note to tell anyone who asks if they can talk to me to "remind me who they are" all day today. I'll let you know how that goes.

Sloan is set to return for next week's show. She's booked the boys to play in a golf tournament with Tom Brady and "Marky Mark" Wahlberg. Now that should be interesting.

Loved, liked or hated this week's show? Let us know!

1. kreview

I hate the casting decision on the asley character, it almost makes me want to turn off the show. The girl looks 12! I literally think E is going out with a middle school girl when I watch. Not to mention she is skeletal and a horrible actress. She must be one of the producers kids. Bad, bad casting decision. And there haven't been many on this show.

August 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kat

Ari – is why I watch the show

Klien – I think I like him in everything he does since office space so I interested to see where his character goes

Ashley – My personal opinion is that she looks like jail bait with a big head and a small body. The producers are making us wonder whether or not she will turn out to be innocently perfect, or some deranged obsessed stalking crazy girlfriend. I see things coming to a head betweeen her and Slan

Turtle – He is a lost puppy. I say he just do what he does best and just be vince sidekick

E – no comment

Drama – love him all the time

They need to show more of Vince publicist.

August 4, 2009 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. Desiree

I think Ashley sucks, but who else are they going to pair E with? He himself is of lilliputian stature, so anyone over 95 lbs and 4 ft tall is going to look ridic next to him. I JUST started watching the show and I love it! Can't wait to see what seasons 1-5 are like...

August 4, 2009 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. mark

Ashley is the best that E can do? She's anorexic and their union seems inconceivable.

August 4, 2009 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  5. David

I agree that Ari's Character is by far the best on the show. I love the dynamic between him and Loyd. So far this season has kind of puttered along. I cant stand E's new gf. She looks like she is 12 years old and her actor makes me cringe. Bad Character, bad actor, bad writing for her. Kill her off please. It doesnt help that I am in love with Sloans character. The girl that played E's first one night stand this season was my old roomate Nikki Griffin. I was stoked that she may get an ongoing role becouse she is HOT and I want her to succeed. Why oh why did that 12 year old look alike get that part? Hey Mark Wahlberg!!!!! Give me a chance at a playing SLOANS new man. I could use the job. My company laid me off and so far Obamas socialism hasnt helped me out.

August 3, 2009 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Anthony Gracab

Sloan and E end up together. Ashely is just there for a little drama / excitement to lead into when it happens. Or maybe they don't get together, I don't know, but I feel like Ashely is there just to create a future interesting conflict involving E and Sloan.

MY PREDICTION: E GOES TO WORK FOR ARI!

He's already a classy agent thanks to Vin. Ari will want him and the future revenue he brings. It's a better fit.

Okay, back to real life. Where's my starlet?

August 3, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. John

I think the quote of the episode was by Ari, "Why go through the stress of an affair, without having the pleasure of the p***?" My wife and I were cracking up.

August 3, 2009 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Andrew

I love Entourage. It is the best show on t.v.

August 3, 2009 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Yeqon

What is up with Turtle not wearing E's gift after only one episode! I am dying to find out which Panerai it was but it was already off his wrist and back into storage!

August 3, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dave

Growing very bored with this show. Drama used to be amusing, but his dilusional behavior is getting old. Getting tired of Turtle. (I mean really, who gets mad about getting a Ferrari and a Porche???) E's act is getting old too.(His constant pouting over sloan and his now defunct business) When will HBO wise up and give Ari his own show? Nobody cares about Vince and the boys anymore. I can watch a whole show about Ari and be fully entertained.

August 3, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rob R

This show is always solid, but it reaches its tallest heights when it heavily involves Ari and efforts to secure jobs for Vince, rather than E's personal life and professional issues.
    Also, enough with Sloan...her character isn't compelling and adds nothing to the central story lines.
    The producers need to change course and realize that her and E's on again off again relationship doesn't resonate with the audience as they seem to think it does.

August 3, 2009 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Denise

I absolutely love this show!!!! Jeremy Pivens is AMAZING!!!! But I love all the guys, who make this show a joy to watch. I will not take any phone calls when this show is on, because I don't want to miss anything. They have done an excellent job with developing the characters on this show. BRAVO HBO!!!!!!

August 3, 2009 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BlueOctober

Fortuneman: I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm thinking the same thing...Ari is going to put Lloyd in Andew's position and give him his opportunity. I know Lloyd deserves it and Andrew needs to go!

August 3, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. aoyst

Am I the only one who finds the Ashley character completely unbelievable? Aside from the fact she looks like Fiona Apple on heroin, she looks and behaves like a teenage valley girl. She's 24, yet we're to believe she runs her own business and has employees, and managed a grocery store 2 years earlier? From tracking E down at the premiere, to staying in his empty house for hours after he left in the morning, nothing about this character jives with being a professional woman. Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist in that James Bond movie was a less miscast part.

August 3, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sean

I think the Klein story is great because it puts Ari in a tough spot. Although Klein is moments away from a total meltdown, if he's doing a great job at work and signing big clients, unless he's lying about it, will Ari keep him for that, or ditch him because of how emotionally unstable he is?

I think that Eric's relationship with Ashley won't work out, Eric still wants Sloan and why shouldn't he? She's amazing.

I can sense a Klein breakdown and Lloyd coming to Ari's rescue, which I hope for.

August 3, 2009 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Rita

Drama is so ready to make Turtle upset. Too bad for Jamie, loved her while we had her,but it definitely looks like they're setting up her exit. E is definitely trying too hard with Ashley, the stalker (has anyone noticed this yet? always poppin' up at the most in-opportune times), in order to forget about Sloan. Whenever Ashley is involved, it gets soooo awkward. You feel sorry for the poor girl. Especially when she throws out the whole " I can leave..". Please do. E definitely needs a grown up, but hey, maybe opposites do attract. Ari is on point and should be a shark already and let his man go..too bad he's too proud to let his partner "Miller" of the "Miller-Gold" know he made a wrong move by hiring the . Don't even get me started on Vince. Same 'ol same 'ol.

August 3, 2009 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. midashome

not crazy about Ashley. She will be gone soon (I think)

August 3, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Eric

Just want to say, " Yes Drama, Yes!" Lets be honest, Drama deserves a little action he doesnt have to lie about for once. Seeing him make out with like ten girls is hillarious.

Although I love E (my name is Eric too!), he needs to ditch that girl for Sloane. She is the hottest person on TV behind the lovely miss Padma Lakshmi! Get them involved again, please!

FInally, Klein is a horrible storyline that I think the writers are quickly realizing was a mistake. He has only been in a few episodes and is already a shriveling mess. My prediction: Ari will have to make some sort of morality-over-money decision reminiscent of the episode where that TV writer tries to take Loyd home with him and Ari absolutely puts him down and saves Loyd. But you know what, I'm cool with that because that was one of the most pimp (and warm and fuzzy) things Ari has ever done in the series!

Can't wait to see how the Scorsese storyline goes!

August 3, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Junaid Shahid

No we can't, no we shouldn't , can we?? it always start with this and at the end OK lets do it. Love this show because of Ari, I think E is loser with balls, Turtle is taking good step by going back to university and have a hot gf, vince will do good and drama will be drama loser

August 3, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mel

Am I the only person that noticed that Ashley seems to be very opinionated about the entertainment business for a jewelry designer? I just don't like her, or Sloan. Can't Eric get someone new/better?

August 3, 2009 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Fortuneman

I'm really liking where they're going this season. All the guys are becoming their own person yet not losing their place within the "Entourage." Turtle's evolution seems to have hit Mach 3 and after 5 years it's about time. I'm glad they kept his funny side but they did need to grow him up a little more. Andrew Klein is nails on a chalkboard but Ari needs some kind of challenge and this appears to be it for Season 6. It would be nice if Andrew's inevitable downfall is Lloyd's springboard to the career he's wanting. It would be very ironic to watch Lloyd come to Ari's rescue when Andrew screws it all up like we know he will.

August 3, 2009 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Justin

I am not a fan of Ashley yet. Everytime she begins to be likeable, she does something stupid (like ripping on E's receptionist for being old), but this show is still great if you're in the proper age demographic like I am.

I love how each character is branching out on their own, or at least trying to get out of Vince's shadow. Even though E shut down his "business" (I guess Charlie is a goner), the previews showed him being offered a new job doing the same thing for a bigger company. Not bad. Turtle will start school, Vince has a movie delay so of course he's just going to chill out, and Drama's show continues to be a success!

August 3, 2009 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  23. UofIowa

Are you kidding me?? This show still has some of the best characters on TV. Every series has it's low points – though opinions vary as to where – but Entourage is rockin' still.

August 3, 2009 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  24. Bob Dow

No conflict, no struggle = BORING

Rich people with rich people problems? Yawn. The only person struggling right now is e, and just barely.

Drama has to kiss 15 young starlets to find a co-star? Turtle get's to reenact the dress up scene from pretty woman? Vince gets laid?

The actors are sleepwalking through the material because there is nothing to chew on.

Piven and Gary Cole have been great, but the show isn't really about them.

More Jami Gertz please!

August 3, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  25. Frankie B.

I need more Drama one liners...the guy is great...and this whole thing with Jamie will not end well...as I think Drama will keep doing the scene over and over "in the interest of good acting" and Turtle will get very angry...I see the end of Jamie Lynn Sigler's run on the show soon after that...

I wish Dexter was in this show, so he could make E disappear forever

August 3, 2009 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  26. Bill

I thought it was a good, but not great show. I really don't know how I feel about Ashley and E. I mean they seem like such an odd couple. Meanwhile, I think the storyline of E giving up his business dreams to focus on Vince and "the next big step" was pretty interesting. I've hated watching E's character try and breakout from the pack. But it was refreshing to see him admit his business failure and start over. You're are 100% right about one thing though. Jeremy Piven has taken Ari to a new level. Every week, you can judge how good the show is by how much Ari Gold is in it.

Can't wait for next weeks episode because I predict Drama will have a huge meltdown on the course. And seeing Drama go crazy, instantly brings a smile to my face. Good article...keep it up.

August 3, 2009 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  27. James H.

I always enjoy Entourage...it's as close to the high life as I'll ever be, lol

August 3, 2009 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  28. Susanth

It's nice to see the guys developing into something other than just Vince's hangers-on. Andrew Klein and Ashley are welcome to disappear. So is "Hung", for that matter. Lousy, lousy show.

August 3, 2009 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |