July 28th, 2009

Michael Jackson's hair: A real gem?

At first I thought it had to be a joke: making diamonds from the DNA of Michael Jackson? Following his recent death, entrepreneurs rushed to get unauthorized biographies, memorabilia and other Jackson-themed items to market. But diamonds from DNA? It sounded macabre.

jackson

Apparently, it's possible.  LifeGem "specializes in creating diamonds from locks of hair," and according to founder Dean VandenBiesen, the company plans "to give people an opportunity to own a diamond made from Michael Jackson's DNA."

You may wonder how they came to possess Jackson's DNA. Remember the Pepsi commercial, and the excruciating video where Jackson's hair catches fire and crew members surround him and snuff out the flames?  Executive Producer Ralph Cohen apparently used his Armani jacket to extinguish the fire, and subsequently picked up a lock of the famous charred hair off the ground.  Both the jacket and the hair were sold to John Reznikoff. He collects hair. He counts follicles from Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy, Albert Einstein and Marilyn Monroe in his collection. Reznikoff is keeping some of Jackson's hair; the other portion is being used by LifeGems to create the Michael Jackson diamonds.

The company "anticipates great interest" and says this will be a "limited collection."  Perhaps I'm limited in my imagination, but the thought of owning a diamond made from Michael Jackson's DNA has very little appeal.

Would you buy one?

More on this fascinating story tonight on Showbiz Tonight on HLN – 11pm ET/PT

Next entry »
  1. H Walker

Im really not suprised to see that now the good doctor has been put in the target zone, people have something to expound on. As for the president having beers with whoever, thats just funny,im sure he likes company too, like most people.M.J. lived a hard and stressfull life,probably harder than most people. I wish the people would just let him die and leave him alone.I am a white man and remember ABC-123-years ago.Profit by death of another,what a living to be made here,all you have to do is keep digging up bones on somebody.Leads me to believe there is no peace in dying if your well known. Now people are going to pick you apart.No peace in life-either during or after because people need fuel to say-look at me. MJ probably had short commings like everybody else does,so what,Heck some well known people talk to amuse themselves,People just laugh to amuse the person who talked.

August 26, 2009 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dave M

I have an idea for a new CNN segment... "Michael Jackson's Death – The First 100 Days!"

July 31, 2009 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. Carol

It is totally disgusting. I would NEVER buy it! Such money grubbing low lifes–all they care about is their own personal gain. One would be better off buying a MJ CD and celebrating his music and talent–, and not on such goolish "crap". As much as so many are opposed to it, unfortunately there will be those who will buy it and the low lifes pockets will be filled. There will always be someone who will try to make a buck, and those who will buy into it.

July 29, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. shirley

YEA right, try to spend your time more wisely. You know the old saying an idle mind is the devil work shop.

July 29, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Gwennie

This is just another way to capitalize off of a person' death.

I am sure this is not true but all those who believe it is; I have a towel with MJ's sweat on it.

How much are you offering? Hummmm.

Some people will fall for anything; that's how the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Use your common sense, PLEASE.

July 29, 2009 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Brenda

Are you kidding. This is cannot be for real. Diamonds are made from carbon (coal) and created by a extreme heat source. I do not believe DNA even if they can reduce it to carbon only could with stand that level of heat. But let me know how many people buy one.

July 29, 2009 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. Gail

Amen, to you Katherine L. How would you feel if it was one of your family members. Their just have to be some kind of cut off. People forget we ALL have to pass this way (die) and we seem to forget it's not about the money. No matter how much. We may not be able to enjoy the money. Money do not buy you everylasting LIFE. Maybe the Egyptians did something like this at that time, but come on people LET MJ REST IN PEACE! TO GOD TO BE THE GLORY! Peace and blessings.

July 29, 2009 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. jackie

That is ludacrious! How could some do that or even want to. What does the family think? Do they even know? OMG!

July 29, 2009 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. Nyse

People will continue to make money off of Michael Jackson for as long as there is an interest.

And to the Michael who posted here, it would be a hard fought battle to say that anyone had ownership over that hair. Each of us sheds thousands of strands of hair as we go about our average day. If at anytime we leave our homes OR come into contact with others or items that leave our homes, then there will be hair on them.

The point I am making is this, if others had wanted MJ's hair, it was there to be had. Not in a clump like was found after his tragic accident, but still present in our world today from all of the places he went and things he touched, To try to regulate the "ownership" of hair, once it has left a person's head is absurd. It would put an undue burden on hair salons and barber shops due to the possibility that their clients would one day become famous. It is simply not within the realm of reason.

I do understand your wish that the family profit from this potential project and if they copyright his image, they will. It is how the next of kin of so many deceased people continue to profit off of their dead loved ones. These people supported them when they were alive and now do so in the afterlife. I hardly see if as Resting in Peace, but that is just me. I think the family of Lady Diana Spencer, the Princess of Wales got it right with her private burial and the complete lack of merchandising of her image since her passing. THAT is Resting in Peace, the peace she was sadly never afforded in life.

July 29, 2009 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. C Jones

Only four should be made: Paris and MJ I and Blanket. One for Ms Katherine, this is the one child she lost out of nine.

July 29, 2009 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. Angela, AZ

This is hilarious. Can LifeGems make diamonds out of my hair or do they only work with the locks of dead celebrities?

On the other hand, I hope his kids are ok. It would stink if every time you see someone wearing a diamond you find yourself wondering if it's one of THE diamonds.

July 29, 2009 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. Cece

Love the KING forever! It can be done, but such a undertaking should only be okayed by his mother. Such a gem would be priceless.

July 29, 2009 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  13. GLO

There might not be the DNA they need in that lock of hair anyways. The DNA comes from the roots of the hair, not the ends, so whatever hair that fell off after it caught fire is most likely not anywhere near his scalp.
    So, it's definitely a scam...no need to pull your hair over it. Just don't buy the diamonds, no matter what they say. Listen to MJ's music, and you won't have to worry about any of this at all.

July 29, 2009 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. Vicky Todd

Let Micheal Jackson rest in peace........His poor children that have had to listen to all the crap that people are saying. Sad !!!!!!!

July 29, 2009 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jocque

What would Michael do?

July 28, 2009 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. kengisho

please have a heart....let him rest in peace....i know that its his crying for......

July 28, 2009 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Ada

IT'S CRAZY TO SEE WHAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO DO FOR MONEY... IT'S JUST SICK !!

July 28, 2009 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Nadia

This is just disgrace.

July 28, 2009 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Chantal

Wow! I truly despise individuals that are taking advantage of Michael Jackson even now.

July 28, 2009 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. yoyo

can the world give the man some peace! he lived with all this drama,now it is time for some peace.

July 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Melodymaker

Wow! What will they come up with next? This is one of the most far-fetched ideas to date, or, I'm completely in the dark, when it comes to procedures such as this one!

July 28, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. KATHERINE LYNCH

MICHAEL JACKSON WAS A DIAMOND. THERE ARE SO MANY
    HATERS OUT THEIR. LET THE DEAD REST IN PEACE. THINK
    ABOUT THE THINGS YOU SAY. HIS PARENTS AND CHILDREN
    ARE STILL ALIVE.

July 28, 2009 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Michael

I wouldn't be interested in this myself, but I don't necessarily have a problem with such "momentos." What I ~do~ have a problem with is someone profiting off of Michael without his or his family's permission. As far as I'm concerned, the Estate should sue to prevent Mr. Reznikoff from pursuing his "venture" without their permission or endorsement.

July 28, 2009 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ODOGG

IS THIS FOR REAL?

July 28, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Kaz

HELL NO!!!!!

July 28, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  26. LBW

This is just strange. I have heard of making diamonds from cremains, but not hair. As much as I love diamonds, I think I can pass on this. Michael Jackson's music is my diamond. He was in a class by himself.

July 28, 2009 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Sarahy

THAT IS REDICULUS !! HOW DOES ANYONE KNOW THAT IT'S HIS REAL HAIR....WHO WOULD BE SO STUPID IN BUYING ONE!!

July 28, 2009 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Triny

It's weird but Michael Jackson has always been a money maker during his time in the business. It doesn't surprise me that someone has thought to do this.

July 28, 2009 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Soul

Even in the grave the public can not let Michael rest in peace.
    You are all VULGERS!

July 28, 2009 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Rachel

An absolute sick waste of time and money.

July 28, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |