July 27th, 2009

'True Blood' and its hard-hearted vamps

Editor’s note: This post contains spoilers for Sunday’s episode of “True Blood.”

“Leather is tough/but Hannah’s heart is tougher./She’s a gal who loves to see men suffer.”

TB Daphne

So … any question why the Tin Pan Alley classic, “Hard-Hearted Hannah,” was the title of Sunday’s “True Blood” episode?

Sure, we see Prohibition-era Bill crooning it – just as Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles, Bobby Darin and probably hundreds of others have done over the years.

But last night, there were a whole bunch of “gals” making a whole bunch of men suffer.

There was vampire Pam telling a traumatized Lafayette that, after nearly being killed by vampires for selling vampire blood, he needs to start once again selling vampire blood.

There was Lorena, Bill’s maker, showing back up and making it pretty clear she’s ready to take back what’s hers. And whether or not Sarah Newlin set out to make Jason suffer, their one-on-one sanctuary session could have some ugly end results.

But the “Meanest Gal in Town” award clearly goes to Maryann and Daphne.

Some readers of this blog were getting tired of the Maryann storyline not going anywhere. But that all changed last night, when we learned exactly what she had in store for sad-sack Sam.

Daphne, of course, reminds us that – just like with those “make millions working from home” signs and e-mails from Nigerian diplomats – if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

So, guys, if a cute waitress shows up out of nowhere, shows you she can magically turn into a whole barnyard full of different animals and proposes a use for a pool table that they do NOT show on ESPN2... run the other way.

We all pretty much knew the creepy Maryann had it in for Sam, but for the seemingly sweet Daphne to have been in on the plot?

Well, that, as the songwriter said, is colder than travelin’ through Alaska in your BVDs.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized

1. sugamartini

True Blood is absolutely one of my favorite shows on television right now. I am an avid reader (especially all things vampire) but have yet to read these books; although I am greatly looking forward to the series. I do have to say for those of you who expect this show to follow the storyline of the book to the crossed T's and dotted I's, you are setting yourself up for disapointment. Shows and movies made from books hardly ever stay completely true to the book, but from what I have heard from friends and family who have read the series, True Blood does a pretty good job of staying close to the books. Some things have to change to keep the attention of those none readers who are watching the series. So I say if your gonna watch the show suck it up and enjoy it for what it is or turn the channel, but there is no need for all the complaining about one of the greatest show on the boob tube!

July 29, 2009 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. kdk

The show is good but the books are much better!

July 28, 2009 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lisa

The books are just as graphic with sexual contact, I thought even more so than the show. It's the sexuality that is appealing to these shows about Vampires, that's what they are all about.

July 28, 2009 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. Debbie

One of the things I love about this show is that we finally have a vampire show that lives up to what I imagine real vamps would be. Vampires who don't have sex are a product of Victorian anti-sex culture. Why wouldn't they have sex, and make it as excessive as the rest of their existence?

July 27, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. KC

I love love love True Blood! This week's episode was good, I can't wait to find out who is tipping off the fellowship of the sun and also I can't wait to see what happens when Jason finds out that his people have Sookie.

It was weird to see Bill as such a vicious vampire, I guess that is why he doesnt particularly care for them because he was so evil in his past. The whole doing it in the blood thing was kind of gross but I guess it was so show how mean they were together.

Lastly, I Eric is my favorite character on the show and I wanna see if he can save Godric and it seems like he is going to make a play for Sookie.
    True Blood is definately one of the best shows on TV right now especially one of the most entertaining.

July 27, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ian

KDG, the second book had the orgies in it. The show has changed some of the details, but if anything the show's version of "MaryAnn" is more along the lines of the original myths than the books. At least in the show they're being forced into it, in the books they did it of their own free will.

July 27, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. KDG

This show would be just as good without all the excessive nudity and orgy storylines. Follow the book folks, the author didn't have all that unnecessary filth. Charlaine Harris wrote about real Southerners with flair, not these awful pawns (townspeople) that HBO is using just for their ratings. Get back to the story line in the books and quit messing up my favorite show!

July 27, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lycan

I still don't get MaryAnn, I mean i know what she is but i don't get it! Are these parties making her stronger/more powerful so that she can continue to be immortal? Is she trying to take over the world one small gator eating town at a time? Or she just like being a meanie pants that gets off?

I also think that Daphne is being controlled by MaryAnn through that scratch/poison on her back. So far she is the only one to have lived without a witch doctor to take the poison out. We all seen what it did to Ms. Janette and Sookie almost died if it were not for Bill's blood. I think MaryAnn only kept Daphne alive cause she was a shape shifter and could use her to get to Sam.

July 27, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mary

This show just keeps getting better and better, my only gripe is NO BUBBAH! Mr. Ball, get with the program, Bubbah was in every book and a big part of Sookie's life. Everyone loves Bubbah, even the vampires.

July 27, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JoePy

I bet that ex-cop ends up coming in and saving Sam next week. How many weeks are left in the season anyway? I also hope Lafayette gets his mojo back, he was funny and full of life before the whole torture thing. I also can't wait for Jason to find his sister in the basement and start kicking LODI butt. Great season so far...

July 27, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ljackermann

MaryAnn is still boring. Please stop with the boring orgies. Dang, Bill was bastard in 1926 and Rev Newlin/Gabe/LODI in 2009. I was getting bored during the last couple of episodes, but this episode moved in much better directions for Lafayette/Pam/Eric, Bill/Lorena, and Sookie/Jason/LODI. Isn't Jessica just adorable? What a pistol ! ! Hoorah for Hoyt ! ! Keep up the excitement level, Alan Ball.

July 27, 2009 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. Lisa

Last nights episode was really really good, It definitely made up for the slow moving episode last week. As the editors note mentions, so much for the Maryann storyline getting tiresome. The writers did a great job bring that storyline "back to life". At least now we know what the deal is with the pig. I feel so bad for Sam, he seems like such a wonderful person and he keeps getting treated like crap by the women.
    Wonder what "Hotness" Eric has up his sleeve, with having Lafayette sell "V'... After reading the stories on line from Comic-Con in San Diego, I am so looking forward to the second half of the season... I so hope they are going with the Sookie/Eric relation ship.. The best of the night though was when Hoyt shows up in Dallas to see Jessica.
    On the book front, word has it that Charlaine has signed a contract to bring 3 more Sookie Stackhouse novels going out to 2013. Can't wait!!!

July 27, 2009 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  13. Anne

Is it me, or is the writing different than last seasons? I mean in a more depraved way....it was gross Sunday night. I am not even interested in what happens next; it's too bad, I was enjoying it:(

July 27, 2009 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |