July 24th, 2009

100th episode of 'Dance' unforgettable

Editor's note: This blog post contains spoilers to the result show of last night's "So You Think You Can Dance."

The producers of "So You Think You Can Dance" promised an unforgettable 100th episode (including Katie Holmes in the "performance of a lifetime"), and they did not disappoint: When it came down to the real business of the night - eliminating America's eight favorite dancers down to six - it turned out to be one of the most shocking results shows ever.

jeanette

But first, we got to take a nice walk down memory lane... Viewers were treated to encore performances of the three Emmy-winning routines: "The Bench" choreographed by Mia Michaels, "The Hummingbird and the Flower" and "Ramalama (Bang Bang)," the latter two choreographed by Wade Robson.

Then, it was the much-talked-about performance by Mrs. Tom Cruise herself. It was an elaborate routine, partially shot on a sound stage, where Holmes danced (and sang) an homage to Judy Garland, the classic "Get Happy." She certainly appeared ready to be cast in the next Broadway-based movie adaptation, and there's no doubt that she has a passion for it, after a similar appearance last year on the now-canceled series "Eli Stone." It was punctuated by the fact that Garland's son Joey Luft was in the audience.

After such an extraordinary celebration of the show, it seemed like a downer to have to say goodbye to two more dancers, but such was the case as usual on Thursday nights.

When it came time to announce the female dancer with the least votes, Janette, who had shown an ability to take on anything the choreographers threw at her, went home. Judge/executive producer Nigel Lythgoe made it known that she was his favorite to win, and he certainly wasn't alone on that. A top six without Janette seemed unimaginable just last week. Between Brandon and Jason, it was much less surprising to see Jason eliminated, despite his having a good night on Wednesday. It just goes to show you that one lackluster night is all it takes to mark the end of the road.

What do you think? Did America make the right choice this week? Was it Janette and Jason's time to go? Did Katie Holmes' dancing compare to this season's top 20? Now that one-time front-runner Janette is out, whom do you think will take the title of "America's Favorite Dancer" in two short weeks?

1. Carol W.

I have to agree with the comments about the Katie Holmes rountine. The fact that it was not a live performance made it out of place for this show. Her dancing did not come close to any of the contestants on the show.

Janette's leaving was a major disappointment. She and Brandon have been the most consistent performers on the show.

July 31, 2009 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Liza

After all the exciting hype about the Katie performance it ended up to be a very huge let down. I was expecting so much more.
    As for Janette getting voted off ....that was an even greater disappointment!!!! That was such a complete let down......each week I've been so excited to watch but now this week I just don't care as much. Janette was such an interesting dancer to watch, my favorite dance being the Jazz routine. The others are very good to, don't get me wrong.....I just felt Janette had that extra something to take her all the way. Shame on those who didn't vote for her because they didn't think they needed to......I did all I could and voted as much as I could. Sorry it wasn't enough. I think the judges need to be more involved with the voting up until the end.

July 29, 2009 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. malori

i STRONGLY believed janette and jason were going to win cause they were the most consistant and could do any type of dance thrown at them. i was very let down that they were voted off.

July 29, 2009 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. D.J.V.

I was very displeased to see Janette go. From the females, she or Kayla were my favorites to win the competition. They are both equally flawless in the style, technique and passion for dance. It seems they never mis-step!

It seems to have been the luck of the draw that Melissa drew the "long straw" and had the honor of dancing the Tyce Diorio routine about breast cancer. She danced it beautifully with heart and emotion. I was so overcome because of my experiences with cancer – I cried like a baby! However, after reading about all the shared disappointment in Janette's leaving SYTYCD, I believe more than ever that had Melissa not received such a heart-felt piece that touched so many, she may have been the one in danger because, overall, Janette has received near perfect reviews throughout the season.

Although Jason is a great dancer, I do not believe he would have won the whole competition. However, Jason definitely out-danced Evan last week. As lovable and unique as Evan is, I believe he should have been voted off this week. But, I recognize that all that would have done is buy Jason a little more time before inevitably being cut.

July 27, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. David

Katie Holmes was AWFUL.. lip sync and barely danced on a DANCE SHOW!!! the three other dances were of course fantastic along with Mia's opening number. Unfortunately all four girls are soooo good, it stinks to see one go, but thats the name of the game. Huge Kayla and Melissa fan.

July 27, 2009 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sally

The person who should GO is Mary Murphy. She is so annoying that I
    have a hard time watching the show. The scream, the hot tamale
    train, the horrendous grammar...UGH. Between her obnoxious personality and Kat Deely's affected behavior and accent, I have given
    it up. Don't care who wins.

July 26, 2009 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hope

The show was entertaining until Holmes' embarrassing routine. Prancing and trying to look sultry don't equal dancing. We were told to expect the performance of a lifetime. Have mercy on us, please, and don't ever show us something like that again in this lifetime!

July 26, 2009 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Fabulous Phil

P.S. Katie Holmes was alright. I don't see why the big hype?

July 26, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fabulous Phil

Brandon should win !

July 26, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Linda

Am I the only one who noticed Ms. Holmes.Cruise could not keep up with the lip-sync? It was awful..not at all impressed..let her stick to acting..I wouldn't pay a penny or even use free tickets to see her in a Broadway show...come on...the dance routines were exceptional and I think the kids are extremely talented. The routines on Wednesday were inspirational

July 26, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jimmy

I had selected Janette as the winner early on this season. It's sad to see her go. Big disappointment. I think though, that this is the best group of dancers ever!

My greatest disappointment is that Cat D. was not nominated for an Emmy . She is by far the best MC in the business today. Ryan Secrist can't hold a candle to her.

July 26, 2009 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. lisa

I think american didnt make a good choice because I though she was really good I really like her

July 26, 2009 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  13. UN

for boys: should have been evan. for girls: should have been anyone except janette. she's been the only consistent girl. melissa got lucky w/ her illness routine which touch so many people. and kayla is the all american. just like american idol – it's not the talent that wins. it's likeabilty. katie holmes......she was a nobody until she married tom cruise. doesn't that say it all about her talent? who cares about katie?!

July 25, 2009 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. lizzie

The reality of it is that Katie Holmes was on as a promo – she is a supporter ( advertising and financial???) to the Dizzy Feet foundation. Not a good dancer and do we really think she sang? As for the dancers and dancing – Yawn.........the choreography was slow and painful this week. Please do remember – the top ten is set, traveling around the country with the tour. they may not win the whole shebang, but they will have careers from here on no doubt!

July 25, 2009 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cj

With all those past show participants, who are such amazing dancers and the reason we all watch the show, sitting in the audience, why did they have to waste so much time on Katie Holmes.

July 25, 2009 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Renee

Thought Katie was pretty boring. I don't think any of the girls need to go but I do think Evan's time is up he is lacking in his skills! Love the show hate to see who goes next

July 25, 2009 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Lee

Realty TV hit a new and absolute low when Janette was sent home. I have no confidence in this show anymore and I won't watch the rest of the season. Nigel should have used a Judges Save on here, just like Simon developed this past year on American Idol to keep this very thing from happening. She was the best. Show over.

July 25, 2009 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Angel11

It was sad that after so much talk Katie Holmes wasn't even there on the stage. It was only a taping. There wasn't any dancing. I remembered Catherine Zeta Jones in Chicago; that was talent!

July 25, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  19. Trish

I must admit that was expecting a lot more from Katie Holmes after all the hype. It was also a repeat of a performance done earlier and in another place. I think it was just stuck into the program to take up time. Now, as to the results, I know not everybody can win; and the remaining eight dancers are really outstanding; but it all boils down to someone has to win; and any of them could do it. I must also say that I have never been so moved as I was watching Adai and Milessa in regard to the breast cancer performance. Thank you for that.

July 25, 2009 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  20. GS

Katie practiced a whole month (maybe more) for THAT???? She wasn't singing live which means that she needs all the help sound engineering could do to make her sound barely tolerable. And where was the dancing they were crowing about? That was sashaying and posturing which looks more pathetic because it was in a show with really talented dancers. I know Tyce is Katie's friend but he doesn't have to pretend she's got all this talent when everybody else can't see it. If Katie thinks she can have a go at a career in Broadway, she might want to reconsider. People don't pay a lot of money to watch a Broadway musical where the "singer" lip-synchs and tries to look cute just to cover up the lack in talent.

July 25, 2009 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  21. JC

Katie Holmes can sing, but her dance skills are limited. As for the eliminations, they were tough this week. Regarding the girls, it was just a matter of somebody having to go. Any of the four could take it all. The guys...another story. Evan is talented and has a unique style; however, he is not as well rounded as the other three. If Jason had not gone this week, though, he probably would have been the next one eliminated.

July 25, 2009 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  22. E Norris

All that hype and Katie Holmes did not even have the chops to dance live? I'd have rather seen Ellen dance!!

And AMerica definately got it wrong sending Janette home. Hopefully this will still be great lauch pad for her. She is more talented than Mrs Tom Cruise.

July 24, 2009 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  23. RLF

Is anyone else tired of Nigel's self-aggrandizing behavior? It seems like at the beginning of every episode he has to talk about how innovative and great he is to produce the show. The show is great because of the talented dancers and choreographers, not the annoying judges who talk way too much.

July 24, 2009 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Kathy

Katie Holmes – if she gets any thinner, she'll disappear! Nice performance, but no dancing. Too much like a Broadway show insead of SYTYCD. I loved seeing the old routines and the dancers we know so well. Would like to have seen more of them – where was Will, more Benji, etc. At this point in the competition, it has nothing to do with how well you do, it's a popularity contest.

July 24, 2009 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  25. DM

I was shocked at Janette being eliminated. She was my favorite, too – very versatile dancer as is required by the nature of the show. Was it one of those "oops we forgot to vote" nights?? Now, as for Katie Holmes. Oh dear, dear, dear. There are actually two people to blame here – Katie, for being way out of her league and god help us if she does a remake of anything having to sing/dance much less something about Garland. And Tyce. While a talented dancer and good modern choreographer, his Broadway/Show numbers are horrific, and why the producers of the show think otherwise is beyond me (and I'm a b'way show veteran!). The number was a total mess. Toss out his B'way stuff and keep his nice modern choreophgraphy.

July 24, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  26. RW

Hard to choose between the girls. Evan should have gone home two weeks ago. Katie Holmes, though not offensive, didn't live up to hype. It would have been nice if she would have performed live. So You Think You Can Dance is a great show.

July 24, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Kevin

Katie Holmes was BORING. After all the build up, that's the best she/the show can do? She may like to sing and dance as she told Kat Deely, but the rest of us really don't like watching her do it. Save it for Tom, Katie.

Janette was ROBBED.

July 24, 2009 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sherri

Yes! America did get it wrong. Did they mean for Janette to go or did they assume she was safe? I would have accepted anyone but Janette being shown the stage door.~~As for the men it should have Evan's time to go. Jason has performed better overall. I wonder how Nigel's comments on his physical appearance played into the voting.
    Here is a show that the judges should have had a save on. At least two of them saw the strength of Janette's performances. BTW~ She is not my fav. but more than worthy of still being in top 6. My husband though may not watch the rest of the season after her departure. ~~Vote smart, not from the heart.~~

July 24, 2009 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Lisa

Katie Holmes "dancing" was boring. Especially after watching the previous emmy nominated performances. I don't think what she did really qualifies as dancing. And it was a little insulting that it was prerecorded. I was worried Brandon would get kicked off. He's such a fantastic dancer. I was sad to see Janette go but I kind of saw it coming.

July 24, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Callie L

Katie Holmes was just boring and did not offer any talent comparable to the rest of the show. It was fun to see Josh and I believe Mark dancing with her, and I think Tyce did a decent job with that Broadway number which was a rare moment for him.

Jason has not had many good numbers. While talented with technique, he has little depth and only the choreography by Travis really brought out anything special in Jason. He needed to go in comparison to the other guys.

As for Jeanette, America did get it wrong. It's unfortunate that she got weaker dances (that horribly boring rumba...) and her solo was not good this week. It lacked all of the excitement she usually offers, but still she has proven herself in every other show, and it was not her time.

It was great to see the 3 Emmy dances, they're all amazing!

As for who wins.. I'm with Jeanine now, she's had to work really hard almost the whole season to carry a weaker partner, she's proven herself talented at almost all styles, and does amazing, well-thought-out solos.

July 24, 2009 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Ri

Janette should not have gone home. I love Evan but really – it was his time. Brandon in the bottom and not Evan? As for Ms. Holmes. Zzzzz.... The lip sync bothered me and frankly the dancing was nothing comared to the talent of the rest of the show's dancers. The "performance of a lifetime" was really overhyped.

July 24, 2009 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  32. eni

Katie Holmes- beautiful, talented but she cannot compare to the sytycd final dancers. Jeanette and Jason were just the short end of the stick.. nothing they did wrong, both as good as the others , but someone had to go and they came with fewer phone calls.

July 24, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Vivienne

Janette was indeed my favorite. I think the bets on "White Lightening". Adai and Melissa got through because of the unforgettable and emotional dance. I really love this show!

July 24, 2009 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Pat M

Katie Holmes looked beautiful and she can sing, but the dancing, well, was ok. Actually, I kept waiting for her to really dance. There was so much hoopla over her being on the show, but honestly, it was a bit disappointing overall.

July 24, 2009 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Ma Brown

Katie Holes did not dance. This is the type of "choreography" that small town musical productions have to use with people who have zero dance training. It was nothing more than posing with a cheekish smirk. And none of it was live. The vocals were pre-recorded to be used for a pre-recorded dance session. For a tribute to a wonderful live performer (Garland) in a phenomenal live style (Broadway) on a show touted for "you only get once chance" live performances (SYTYCD), a taped performance was more than disappointing: it was offensive and insulting. And both eliminated dancers should have made the top four.

July 24, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Debbie

Katie was lame and to let Janette go was MORE than a shame, it was just WRONG. She was my pick to win. I'm sure she'll do well, wherever she ends up performing.

July 24, 2009 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  37. NanaOne

Shocked, shocked, shocked! Can NOT believe Janette is gone, although the remaining female dancers are all very good. Perhaps this season is just too, too good!! Loved seeing the repeat of the three segments, but where was the dance with Twitch and the door, or the suitcase and husband/wife, or...... Maybe we are just blessed to have truly gifted dancers being showcased. Thought Holmes was so much fluff and cotton candy - without those soft focus lenses, hiding her face behind her hat, and lip-syncing, it would have been "boo-able". Wouldn't have made it through the Americas Got Talent audience if she had used a fake name, that's for sure!

July 24, 2009 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  38. Cathy

If you call strutting, shimmying and rubbing your legs "dancing" then Katie Holmes was brilliant!

July 24, 2009 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  39. TK

Katie Holmes was "much ado about nothing". All that build up for what she did, I could have done without it.
    Regarding the elimination, I was VERy disappointed. I like Evan alot but I think it was time for him to go. As for the girls I liked all that were left but Janette SHOULD NOT have been eliminated.

July 24, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  40. catscratch

Katie was not that great. Jeanette should not have gone home. She is the only dancer who hasn't received a negative comment from any of the judges. She was awesome in EVERY style. It should have been Melissa. She is the weakest. But people vote with emotion. As far as the guys, It should have been Evan. He has a great personality but it's a dance show. At this point, I really don't care who wins.

July 24, 2009 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  41. Wendy

Great show last night except I was VERY diappointed with the results last night! Both Jason & Janette are awesome dancers and really show a lot of class when they were voted off. They should have stayed on! I was very surprised they were voted off! Katie Holmes should have stayed home. This was not a very good performance at all! She was only on because of her close connections with the charity work associated with Dancing. She really is not that good!

July 24, 2009 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  42. Maria

First off, this is the worst season of SYTYCD. I really cannot remember any of the dance routines; none of them, not even the group routines. Secondly, Evan received more votes than Jason and Brandon. Come on, this could not have been for real. Katie Holmes singing was good; the dancing however, was uhm – pretty much non-existent. Now to answer the question. No, America did not get it right in thy guy department. I like Evan, but his dancing ability is not up to par with the other guys – Brandon, is by far the best. As for the girls, I liked Janette and would have liked to see her stay. Truth be told, all of the girls were pretty much even. It will be interesting to see who walks, rather dances away with the top spot.

July 24, 2009 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  43. Lori

Thank you. I thought I was the only one who failed to see Katie Holmes as anything other than a total snore.

July 24, 2009 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  44. Cheree

Katie Holmes – pretty lady but just OK--no comparison to the top 20 dancers....but she could do a good job as all around entertainer on Broadway...
    think Evan should have gone home-NOT Jason
    as for the women--really hard to "axe" any of them–all sooooo good....so sad to see any of them go...
    Now with those left.....I don't want any of them to go.....
    This has been the best season yet..
    I am loving it!

July 24, 2009 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  45. Darling

I was not impressed with Katie Holmes. She wasn't dancing just gliding and showing off her long legs. America got it wrong with Jeanette, she had a long way to go. Evan has everyone's heart with his puppy eyes but is not close to a flawless dancer as Brandon or Kayla.

July 24, 2009 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  46. katie h

Janette was my pick to win it all – now I'm conflicted! Though, Brandon is still there.... we'll see....

July 24, 2009 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  47. Frank B

Janette being kicked off??!!! I couldn't believe it. Katie Holmes was just eh. I thought it would have been something more memorable the way they've been playing it up since the season started. But back to Janette. She was the only girl I thought did a stand up job week after week. To see her smiling face go is such a disappointment. I think the dancer eliminations should stick with the judges as American voters seemed to have their heads up their keister's this week.

July 24, 2009 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  48. Amanda K

I was not impressed by Kate Holmes. She barely danced at all! I am so sad to see Jeanette and Jason leave, they were two of my favorites and I hope I can go see them on tour.

July 24, 2009 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  49. Darin Z

Katie Holmes – tragic. Jeanette and Jason – double tragic. Remainder of the show – flawless.

July 24, 2009 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |