July 22nd, 2009

Taco Bell's famous talking dog dies

Sad news this week in the world of talking animals... Peoplepets.com is reporting that Gidget, the cute, little chatty Chihuahua from the Taco Bell ads, died from a stroke Tuesday at the age of 15.

Gidget captivated millions in the late 1990s when she first uttered "Yo quiero Taco Bell" ("I want some Taco Bell") in the fast food chain's now famous ad campaign.  From there, she donned the cap of a Mexican revolutionary and exclaimed "Viva Gorditas" from a balcony in front of thousands.

However, Taco Bell commercials weren't the canine's only gig... according to Peoplepets.com, Gidget also did a commercial for Trivial Pursuit, and starred opposite Oscar winner Reese Witherspoon in "Legally Blonde 2: Red, White and Blonde."  The Chihuahua also had her own line of dolls and toys.

But, like any celebrity, Gidget's career was not without a little controversy.  Hispanic watchdog groups (excuse the pun) accused Taco Bell of promoting stereotypes in the ads and asked that they be taken off the air.

Do you have a favorite Gidget commercial?  Where do you think she ranks within the legacy of famous dogs?

« Previous entry
  1. Ann

I thought they were funny commercials. Honestly, I ignore most commercials unless there are dogs (or even one dog) in them. So, yes, I always watched Gidget's Taco Bell commercials. She was such an adorable dog.

Rest in peace, Gidget.

July 24, 2009 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. Patti

I loved those commercials with Gidget in them. Yo Quiero Taco Bell!

July 23, 2009 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Q

such a sad day for this lil sweetie!

she will be missed

July 23, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. La Donna

I'm so sorry to hear about little Gidget. Those Taco Bell ads with
    her in them will live on.RIP, Gidget.

July 23, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

! she was like a sicologist to me when those tv ads came on, I will stop everything I was doing just to watch the taco bell commercials then , gidget was beatifull and full of personality...will miss her.........

Mike/ Ky

July 23, 2009 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marjie

I enjoyed all the Taco Bell commercials with Gidget, but my very favorite one was not shown as much as some of the others. In this one, the dog runs through several locations, including a living room where a couple is watching Jeopardy on television, While passing through, the dog pauses long enough to hear Alex Trebek start saying an answer (can't remember his exact words) and the chihuahua says: "What is a logarithm?" and continues running through the room and out. Gidget was a very talented little dog, and the man who did the voice-overs was an excellent fit to the feisty little chihuahua. Gidget played the part of a male chihuahua, and she had the machismo to do so!

July 23, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joan

I thought those commercials were hysterically funny - we had so many good moments laughing at those. Gidget will be missed!

July 23, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Juan

as a latino of Mexican heritage, i have a sense of humor and didn't find Gidget's inluence as negative stereotype....
    come on people, you got rid of frito bandito & speedy gonzalez.
    get a sense of humor.
    anyway..... my favorite gidget commercial was when he (she) was trying to catch godzilla w/ the home made box trap...
    HERE LIZARD LIZARD.....
    rip little girl.

July 23, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mistyrias

She was adorable! She will be missed ... I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time in Bangor Maine at a pet store and paid much too much for this little guy but having always wanted a Chihuahua I couldn't resist his charm. I normally don't go into pet stores but my husband saw him first and then told me I had to see him...it was all it took, love at first sight. I feel in love with the Legally Blonde one and didn't realize she was in fact Gidget!

Animals are such great friends and will be loyal to you until they or you pass away. I am very fortunate for my rescue dog and now my little Chihuaha.

RIP little Gidget.

July 23, 2009 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tina

My favorite commercial was when she said," HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD...HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD!" Uh Oh...I'm gonna need a bigger box. It was hilarious!

July 23, 2009 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. bob

R.i.p we love u

July 23, 2009 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. char

i echo james fav commercial, the godzilla, heeere lizard lizard lizard/uh oh i think i need a bigger box...i even had a tee shirt w/ it saying here lizard, lizard lizard on the front , and then the uh-oh need a bigger box on the back...i miss that shirt :( and now even more so, hearing this news. RIP gidget, ill miss you girl.

July 23, 2009 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. Lynda

Gidget was great! Those commercials I never minded watching. I even have a little stuffed Gidget doll that talks the words. It says Yo quiero Taco Bell" every tie you press it's stomach.

July 23, 2009 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. Keith

I love you Gidget.

July 23, 2009 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. abby

noooooooooo i want taco bell backk :'(

July 22, 2009 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  16. MEO

I'm Mexican American and I thought the ads were funny. If you were offened by them...get a life!!!

July 22, 2009 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. James

My personal favourite was the one where she tries to catch Godzilla with free tacos... "heeeere leezard leezard... uh-oh... I theenk I need a beeger box."

RIP Gidget

July 22, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Candace

Those were some of my fav. commericals ever and I talk of them often.
    RIP
    Thank you.

July 22, 2009 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  19. TJ

Rest in peace Gidget. I'll miss you in those commercials.

July 22, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |