July 22nd, 2009

Orphan: A Wicked Twist

In general, people decide whether a movie is worth the ticket price by learning what they can through trailers and basic descriptions - thus, my dilemma.

Tuesday night, I covered the premiere of the horror film "Orphan," and while I do enjoy a good scare, this particular film wasn't really grabbing my attention.  However, while waiting for the celebrity arrivals to star, something sparked my interest - the movie poster had five short words: "Can you keep a secret?"  This got several of us on the red carpet wondering what the secret might be, until I was so intrigued, I considered catching the movie on opening night this Friday.

Soon, the arrivals started, and knowing how they might respond, I teasingly asked the cast and director if they could reveal the big secret of the movie - just to me.  Of course, their answers were a unanimous "No!"  That is, until one cast member surprised me: "I didn't know the secret was supposed to be kept a secret, because I just told a few networks something I wasn't supposed to, until someone kicked me in the shins and told me to stop!"  While this person didn't let me in on what the others had learned, my follow-up question yielded another slip-up, of which the actor seemed unaware.

In the end, word spread - this was a media event, after all - and I learned the secret.  Sadly, I think it's quite a good twist - good enough that I wished I didn't know what it was, so I could watch the movie and be surprised.  Now that I know, I'm not as interested.

What are your thoughts?  Does knowing "Orphan" has a secret make you want to see it more?  And can a movie twist be so good that it's worth watching even if you already know it?

Post by:
Filed under: movies

Next entry »
  1. Piper

it must be hard to keep a movie secret today with all of the avenues and research...someone will always find out. i feel sorry for directors.

oh well, now that i know it, i will wait for the pay tv movie

July 24, 2009 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. Piper

odie-
    i agree but i seriously knew the secret of the sixth sense from the beginning. i could just tell. i caught on to the coldness whenever he was around, that his wife was not responding to him because she was watching a vid and crying...i just knew and people around me thought i was wrong. ha! anyway, i have not figured this one out but have some ideas...we will see.

lol@skippy

July 24, 2009 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. 3G_Cydia

The twist is not that she is male. I saw a sneak preview and in my opinion, the twist ending makes the movie very good, which is rare these days. In fact, when telling others about the movie, its hard not to tell them, because it turns everything upside down. Go see this, you will not be disappointed.

I kept a secret!

July 24, 2009 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  4. Spoiler

I read that she has a degenerative disorder where she is really an adult. That's pretty legit

July 24, 2009 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. skippy

no, she's really a 33 year old prostitute w/dwarfism.

July 23, 2009 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ship

Are you serious?? she is really a HE!!

July 23, 2009 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. odie

Yes, I was intrigued by knowing that the movies Sixth Sense and Seven Pounds had secret endings.

July 23, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. boone

Yes, I'd want to know. I'm a wimp when it comes to scary movies. I won't watch them unless I know how they end, then I'm not so scared. I wouldn't watch "The Others" with Nicole Kidman until a friend revealed the ending. Then I could watch it very calmly. So, how does Orphan end? I might just go see it if you spoil it for me!

July 22, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dan

she's obviously a boy. duh.. not that hard to figure out. .the poster has her adam's apple covered by some string

July 22, 2009 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |