July 20th, 2009

'Young' blood on 'True Blood'

Editor’s Note: This post contains spoilers for the Sunday, July 19 episode of HBO’s “True Blood.”

With the appearance of 2000-year-old Godric on Sunday night’s “True Blood” episode, the show’s giving a nod to one of my favorite vampire twists – vamps who were young when they were “turned.”

true blood 7/19

In solving what was apparently a mystery only to Bill – although pretty obvious to any viewer paying attention - Godric was the maker of Eric, the sheriff of Louisiana and, according to the posts on this blog, a favorite of a lot of viewers.

Looking about 15 years old, Godric (played by 19-year-old Danish actor Allan Hyde) saved Viking Eric from certain death on an ancient battlefield – answering the question of why his disappearance is important enough for the Nordic vamp to leave his post and head to Dallas (gotta love the cowboy vampires) to look for him.

The kid-as-ancient toughie bit will remind genre fans of Claudia, an even-younger child when she was turned by Lestat in “Interview With the Vampire.” Claudia, of course, never becomes the powerhouse that Godric is – but shows the same ruthlessness and adult-sized blood thirst that is just really cool coming from a child-size body.

It’s a reminder that while vampires remain in human form, they’re something else – deadly and ancient even in a child’s body.

On other fronts, Jason’s “reward” from Sarah Newlin, the disappearance of telepathic Barry the Bellhop and Daphne’s revelation to Sam (who still hasn’t seemed to notice those gigantic gashes on her back despite some up-close opportunities) show the twists and turns will keep coming.

The saltiest, though, promises to be the woman walking through the hall of the Dallas hotel while Bill and Sookie were enjoying a private moment. I won’t spoil it for anybody who didn’t immediately recognize her.

But the opening recap montage should have reminded viewers who she is, one of the reasons for the episode's title, “Never Let Me Go,” and why things could be getting even trickier for poor Bill.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized

« Previous entry
  1. Rachael

I'm a HUGE fan of this show, can't get enough of it. I could hardly wait for it to come back this season. But with all that being said, here are my thoughts/opinions about it.
    I agree with a lot of what's being said in the blog. I DESPISE Maryanne and wish it would finally be revealed who/what she is. That 'vibrating' move she does, gets on my nerves, I get sick looking at all of that food, and her hedonism is annoying. As for Sookie not being able to keep her mouth shut, IT'S TRUE. She shouldn't reveal her ability to read minds to everybody, that's her leverage, yet she insists on letting others know. And she needn't talk incessantly, especially around vampires who don't care about her like Bill does. Tara can be annoying at times, more during the 1st season than now, but she's still a great character because she's smart and usually can keep her wits about her even when she's smokin' joints and everyone else around her is losing their mind(s). I love the storyline about the girl Bill made into a vampire and Hoyt. They're a cute couple, and seem to like each other so much. It's really sweet. I hope they maintain a relationship like Bill/Sookie. Eric's sexy and funny, but I'm tired of him using Sookie. Pam's a hoot. I don't trust Eggs, but come to find out, he may have been subjected to Maryanne's evil as well. Sam's sweet but naive. I knew Daphne was settin' him up. Those religious fanatics are even more terrible than I suspected. Jason's a complete IDIOT! He can be easily goaded into believing ANYTHING. What an idiot. I love Terry and his understanding and/or empathy for his friends/town folk. I hope Bill will over power his 'maker'. She's a beast. Everybody thinks Andy LeFleur is a joke, but he actually knows a lot. Don't 'sleep' on Andy. They blame it on the alcohol, he can be dumb and overbearing soometimes, but he knows something's strange about Maryanne. Some of the dialects on the show do seem a little 'over the top' to me too. Lastly, I like the way Bill tries to maintain some semblance of once being human. The other vampires have no regard for humans except as fodder for their bloodthirst or sexual pleasures.

July 30, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Alexia

I love trueblood, however i must say, i prefer the books. And reading the comments from above, it is so true about sookie needing to shut her mouth. All i have to say is....eric is fiiiiine. I think the recent episode was extremely pointless other then jason's part in the tub. And yes i agree about Maryann and the fruit comment. I'm sure the next episode will make up for the recent ones, at least i hope so.

July 21, 2009 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. mike

while true blood may leave us with some doubts about the characters, i think its important to relize that every character has a story or a backdrop plot.Allen ball is very creative in leaving you on the edge thinking.Marrynne is one of those characters that leave all of us wondering who is she? where is she from?..well she said she was from i think new hampshire or rhode island where their are the best potato chips..and if you go back those are the places where the saleem which trials accured..she is all about witch craft. Remember when sookie tried to read her mind and all she herd was witch craft type stuff.Marryane is the monster that scratched sookies back and daphnees..the only reason it didnt hurt daphnee is because she was a dear at the time. thats the only logic to it..plus maryanne doesnt want tara to live with sookie so thats why she turned into that thing and tried to go after sookie...everything trueblood has to offer has a reasoning to it..bills maker is only back because eric has sent her to keep him at bay while sookie is going to the church..then eric will kill her and dispose of her..everything is not going to be explained about every character because they wanna keep you on your seats each and everyweek.just like last season when they found the killer everything was supposed to be alright..but at the end the found the lady in the car that did a fake exersisime (SP).that lady was killed by marryanne because she was doing the samething marryanne was doing but only it was fake and marryanne took that to offence..well keep tunning in because i cant get enough of it and can't wait for sunday.

July 21, 2009 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mike

To all you people saying Maryann has got to go..GROW UP. its part of the show for her character to be mysterious, and just because your not patient enough to get the full scoop on her, you cant be saying she has to go...just be more patient.

Eric is cool, i always liked him, he's a lesser of evil. (for those who want more of him, watch Generation Kill...another amazing series by HBO)

Im honestly a lil annoyed by Tara. i think her character is dragging on ( not her character per say, but her storyline in this season... 5 episodes of what? you can describe her events in this season in less than 100 words, but she got alot of picture time in the show)

July 21, 2009 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jared

Sorry guys the accents are absolutely horrible, however the show is just so deliciously bad I can't stop watching it. Love it!

July 21, 2009 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  6. Aj

I haven't read the books, so this is total speculation, but perhaps Maryanne is some kind of ancient goddess or something. She mentioned a statue in her garden of a greek god having relations with a mortal...whatever she is, they need to make her character more 3 dimensional if they are going to keep her around. Right now it's just the same old fruit, parties, and Tara obsession and it's getting old.

Eric is the absolute best character on the show, followed closely by Tara and Lafayette. I think Eric and Sookie would make a much more dynamic couple!

July 21, 2009 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. denise

I really liked season 1 but I cant get season 2 right now,no cable
    BUMMER

July 21, 2009 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  8. margeaux

Sorry people, the accents just don't cut it; These people are suppose to be from Louisiana, and so far I have not heard a LA accent.

Renee's "cajun" accent was a joke. We do not say "cher" (as in the singer.) No one in LA speaks like Sookie , Bill or any of the Bon Temp residents; except maybe Lafayette because he doesn't try so hard. Either you are from South, Central or North LA, and the accents vary widely. There are very few cajun accents past Rapides Parish unless you are a transplant; and no "southern accents" in South LA which is cajun country.

And New Orleans has a Bronx accent; why I do not know, but I have many relatives there and they all speak with a NY accent. Me, I'm a full blooded creole born in LA, so I know my LA accents.

July 20, 2009 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ingrid

I am so addicted to True Blood, I can't wait to watch it on Sunday nights. However, I have to agree with some that say the accents are not too hot. I live in Alexandria, LA, not far from where Bon Temps "may be" and the accents here are totally different then what you hear on the show. But really, the show is so entertaining that I could care less about their accents! Love it, love it!!!!

July 20, 2009 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Katie

Just watched this week's ep on on-demand, and I must say...anna pacquin's dialogue writer needs some help! It seemed as if every line she had was the repetitive "I'm a sweet southern belle and extremely naive" which is becoming wearing. She is an experience actress and can handle some well-written lines – if they don't have the staff to write them, then have Charlaine Harris come in and pick up – she knows how to write in a way that doesn't make Sookie seem like an idiot. If you get a chance, review how Sookie speaks to Bill...all honey and platitudes and very cloying. Yuck.

July 20, 2009 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. aishadl

I too LOVE this show. Love almost everything about it. I even love Eric way more than Bill. He's so "bad-boy" even for a vampire... takes the cool factor to 20!

But like everyone else I'm sick of Maryann. Who is she & why is she obessed w/ Tara? I am ready for them to move on from her character.

July 20, 2009 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bettie

there seems to be unanimous agreement on all the TB blogs that Maryann's character is a dud. But why?

IMHO, it's because (a) we really know almost nothing more about her now that we did when she first appeared, like why she's in Bon Temps in the first place (they need to either explain her character or get rid of her), and (b) she seems to be all-powerful, able to do anything she wants whenever she wants and nobody can touch her - she can just go anywhere and close her eyes and change anybody's situation or attitude or whatever. The joke around the water cooler is that she's just a dark version of Samantha Stephens on Bewitched who could just wiggle her nose and cause havoc anywhere, anytime. It's just too easy. Maryann's an unexplained bore. I vote get rid of her.

I do, however, love Jason at the Fellowship Church. It takes the whole metaphor of the vampires representing the plight of gays in today's world and gives it the much needed fanatical religious zealots who have comically questionable theology and morals to back up their bloodlust search and destroy mission on a particular segment of society. I'm feelin' it. And Jason is a lovable dork who will soon see the light, I'm sure. Love his new malaprop tendency - "premedicated" was hilarious!

July 20, 2009 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. kate

I love this show...HBO writers have always carried of great shows and True Blood is no different. I think that the accents, especially Tara's, is way over the top even for Louisiana. I agree about Jason's character getting his sexy back, and not with a preachers wife...ZZZZ boring story line. True Blood makes Twilight look like High School Musical and that's a good thing.

July 20, 2009 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Teresa

I just love this show. I enjoy how each episode ends with you yearning to see the next episode. As far as Maryann...please please unfold her story and get her out of here..(what's up with all the fruit)???

July 20, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Debbie

Lindsey, will all due respect, those accents are so far from spot on, it's not even funny. I was raised in Shreveport. My dad's family is from Marthaville. Those are NOT accents from NW Louisiana. I lived there for at least 30 years.
    While I like the character of Tara, her accent is more "hick" than anything.
    The guy who played Rene had a very accurate accent, and I think he is from Michigan.

July 20, 2009 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Bridgetender

I love the show. I completely disagree with markiejoe that season 2 has been a bore. I think it's been far more exciting and better than season 1. I also disagree that there's too many stories going on. I think it's what keeps each episode great. I do hope that we find out somethings about Marianne and the "devil man" character who scratched Sookie and Daphne (amongst others).

I think each episode has been better than the previous one this season. I can't wait until Sunday.

July 20, 2009 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Stacey

I agree that Sookie needs to keep her mouth shut sometimes. She'll grow up and learn (I hope). Maryann in Gran's clothes, I caught that too. Very creepy. She needs to go.

July 20, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  18. TrueFan

Thank you for not giving away all of last nite's episode because we haven't gotten to watch it yet!

I agree that Maryann needs to be gone. I'm getting just a little tired of the orgies, abundant food, and eating dirt. I also am looking forward to the FOTS to wind up.

I didn't read the books first but started to read the 1st one after watching the first season. In my opinion, the show is better! To me the book is almost kind of boring. For one, adding in Tara. I haven't seen her at all in the first book, so far, and I think she really adds something to the show. I can't imagine her and LaFayette not being on it.

And I do like the Sookie/Bill relationship but Bill is really kinda boring compared to the other characters. Maybe that is intentional because he's trying to keep some of his human-like qualities.

I really DO love the show though. I'm looking forward to the story about the woman walking down the hall!

July 20, 2009 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. William

We owe a lot to our "makers." TrueBlood is an interesting blending of the Sookie Stackhouse mysteries - which is good. Otherwise it would be: all been there, done that.

July 20, 2009 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  20. markiejoe

The accents on this show cannot be "perfect" because everyone has a different one! It's like, will you people pick an accent and everyone stay within spitting distance of it? I especially liked Gran's accent (there wasn't any!) and Renee's tape-learned one last season (which no one in Bon Temps noticed was so far out in left field that Renee should have been asked by at least one character "Where the hell are you from?" But alas, no one noticed. I detect almost no accent in Sookie except "aaahing" a few of her vowels, but then I detect almost no acting ability in Sookie or (god help him) Bill (did he take bad acting classes between Seasons 1 and 2)?

All that said, I was really into Season One. Except for the Alan Ball-written episode last week, Season Two has pretty much been a bore. This last episode was the worst written and a snooze-fest. I agree about the too many characters complaint, but would refine that to "too many unexplained characters." Either keep revealing about characters every week, or get rid of them. I'm completely bored with Marianne (is she supposed to be Ball's satiric riff on Marianne Williamson - like his take on Sybill Shepherd in Six Feet Under?). Either tell us what she's all about with all her vibratin' or get her off my screen. She's annoying. The same for Tara's new boyfriend: either tell me something new about him every week or get rid of him. He's become a bore.

Best line of Season 2 so far goes to dimwit Jason, who, in response to his Christian Camp's buddy's line something about "Evil always gets punished," replies "Oh yeah? Then explain Europe to me." More of that, please.

July 20, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jerseygirl58

While I'm a big fan of this show I thought last nights episode dragged a little. I agree that the character of Maryann needs to go. What is up with "Just house sitting" but cruising around in a Jag, she's totally creepy. The Fellowship of the Sun stuff is getting a little weird as well. But I guess once they place Sookie in that mess the plot will thicken with her brother being a born again soilder. Sam did see the Daphne's back – not last week but the week before while he was swimming he saw the marks and his eye widened. As far as the mystery woman goes (the one on the way to Bill's room – think back she is familiar). I love this show, they just keep building and building on these characters... I hope next weeks show is better than last nights.

July 20, 2009 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  22. MYRA

After reading the books, I love the show's story line much better. I love the fact that Lafayette and Tara were brought in as strong characters in the story. The show would be nothing without them! Producers beware!! I was a bit disappointed on the Isabella character- she's much older than what was portrayed in the book and needs work on her Romanian/Spanish accent. I guess I have to see if the character grows. The dispute between the vampires was well choreagraphed as well as the outfits Sookie wore matching the story book. My husband and I love the series!!

July 20, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Gina

I really enjoy the show. All the new twists and turns, as well as all the new characters are great. I read the books, but I still haven't gotten any plot at the end of each show right with my guessing. That's the magic of the show.. keep you guessing and enjoying all those good looking vamps.... and Jason.... Enjoy the show, why dissect it? Enjoy it for the entertainment it is.... It's refreshing from the other shows out there.

July 20, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Isabel

I LOVE this show!!

But both my husband and myself think that they need to resolve the characters that they are adding, before adding more! Is getting too many new characters, and too many small stories...we hope they all collide at the end or something....'coz right now is too many things at once...each episode has more and more unresolved situations. Is good to feel like "wow! what's gonna happen next week", but give us some answers!

The first season had one killer, they add people, but it was one killer since the beginning, and that was sooo good! And now is like a bunch of new characters and little follow-up....
    I agree with Melissa's comments, Sookie please just grow up, girl! Is all a game for you or something! (well, maybe I'm taking it too serious,), but they need to get her more mature or something, is getting annoying!!!
    And please, resolve the lady or whatever Maryanne is soon!!!

Anyways, LOVE the show! And hopefully we'll get more answers!!!

July 20, 2009 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  25. Kris

What happend to our bad boy Jason? I think his character does offer some comic relief but I'm ready for him to get back to his old self. He was more entertaining last season and way sexier! I have not read the books but I do not like seeing him be so submissive.

July 20, 2009 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  26. GREG

WOW!! THIS SHOWS KEEPS ME "COMING " BACK FOR MORE EVERY WEEK.....

July 20, 2009 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  27. Melissa

About the accents, I live in New Orleans, and their accents are exactly what they should be. The people living here may not think they sound like that, but I come from Canada and they sound exactly like that, though many that live in the big cities sound more northern. Their accents are perfect.

July 20, 2009 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  28. Melissa

Honestly, I just love this show.

However, I'm more concerned with what will happen to Tara, Lafayette, and Eric than I am with Sookie and Bill. Tara is just plain cool (her mouth reminds me of mine lol), Lafayette has some of the best lines in the whole series and is totally cool, and Eric is... well Eric is just plain unbelievably sexy. He can bite me anytime. Norwegian hotty that he is.

Sookie and Bill look so uncomfortable with each other and he seems to be pretty much neutered as a vampire and totally worthless for pretty much anything. Sookie needs to learn more respect for what she's dealing with and needs to learn when to keep her mouth shut. She was with four elder vampires in one room, and Eric and Bill had NO power to protect her. She's very lucky that none of them tore her throat out, and its getting annoying that she never seems to learn when to shut up.

July 20, 2009 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  29. Anita S.

I am ready for Maryann's character to leave; that scene with her in Gran's clothes was beyond creepy... Can't wait to see what Bill's "maker" has in store for him. I am also looking forward to seeing what plans Eric and Pam (my favorite characters) have for Lafayette with regards to the "V"...

July 20, 2009 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  30. Logan

Jason Stackhouse is the man! 'You dont mean it..... 'no, no i dont. but i aughta'. I'm starting to like Eric more and more and still see him as a villain. He's not like Hitler villian like the pig-lady, more like Soviet villain, you have to work with him but you still dont like him. I feel the same way about Eric as Winston Churchhill felt about communists. You dont know whether to tickle it under the chin or knock it over the head.

July 20, 2009 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  31. Lindsey

Jason- all is explained about Maryanne in the books, although the tv series has expanded her character.

And sorry, but Sookie and Tara's accents are spot on. I live in VA, have lived in NC and TX, and have family in AR and OK.

July 20, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  32. Estrojen

Man, Bill is NOT getting the help he needs! I feel so bad for him. Not only is he the only one taking the danger seriously, but now he's expected to "share his feelings." For pete's sake, he's over 100 years old and has to justify himself to his super-young girlfriend. Then again, I liked her point about not having to worry for worry's sake.
    And yeah, Claw-marks-on-my-doe-butt-Daphne is sweet, but why is Sam so content with this coincidence in the context of one of Maryanne's swinger parties???
    *Sigh*
    Men. Can't live with 'em, can't bury them in a shallow grave – 'cause they'll just dig themselves out come nightfall.

July 20, 2009 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  33. Carrie

Totally agree with you!!

I really love the twists and turns of this show! I've read all the "Southern Vampire" books it's based on and am so thrilled that Alan Ball changes "True Blood" up so much that I still don't really know what is going to happen from week to week!

Not looking forward to the "woman walking through the hall" coming back, either. Bill can't catch a break.

July 20, 2009 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  34. Jason

While last night's episode was a very good one, I must say this: Make a move toward answering some questions about Maryanne, so we can get rid of this character. I am enjoying this season for the most part, but so far, her character seems pointless. What do the scratches mean? Whats with the food? Whats with the orgies? Why come to town now? What's with Tara's new boyfriend? -IMO, the show would be better with more Jessica, and less Maryanne. I like the increased story-line for Eric, but am over Lafayette's self-loathing these past 2 episodes. I don't know- I guess it just seems like season 1 was about introducing the story itself, while season 2 is about seeing how many different characters they can add in one season, before the viewers lose track. They're adding people quicker than E.R. did! One season, for me, is not enough to be fully invested in any of the characters, so bringing in new people takes away from the existing characters/storylines. Also- someone should have Anna Paquin, and the girl that plays Tara, work on their Southern Accents- they sound way too fake.

July 20, 2009 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  35. Krystal

I personally did recognize who the woman in the hallway was and all I can say is for those of us who have read the books, we know where that's going. And I say, Hell Yeah! See ya Bill – bring on Sookie & Eric (yum!)

July 20, 2009 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |