July 20th, 2009

Time for Paula to leave Idol?

Am I the only one that wouldn’t mind if Paula Abdul left American Idol? Don’t get me wrong, I like Paula, just not on Idol. For me, Idol is about the singers, not about the judges. Over the years, the producers have tinkered with the judging formula and it just never gelled for me. Truthfully, the only one of the original three who I really like is Simon!  The guy tells it like it is and 9 times out of 10, I agree with him.  Randy sits in his seat and says “dawg” about 200 times an episode and Paula just rambles.  Seriously, sometimes I can’t figure out if she is speaking in actual sentences or if I just have processing difficulties.

The worst part is that this all takes away from the actual performances. If we didn’t have to deal with the judges’ incessant bickering, the contestants would have  more time to perform.  Say what you will- and I know this is a touchy topic among devoted fans- but I thought Kara DioGuardi was a breath of fresh air this year.  I would argue that she is more qualified to be up there judging than Paula- and as a bonus, I can understand what she says!

Paula, you are a beautiful woman.  You have overcome obstacles in your life and have reinvented yourself multiple times.  It’s time to do it again.  You have a successful jewelry business- maybe expand that into an entire fashion empire.  Hollywood is about moving onwards and upwards- your time has come.

What do you think? Do you want Paula to stay on American Idol or should she leave the show and try something new? Make sure to watch Showbiz Tonight for our fired up debate tonight at 11pm ET/PT on HLN- don’t miss it!

1. Geoff

Paula spent some of her Idol money on new boobs. They look very good on her.

August 5, 2009 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. ACwatts

I remember watching AI in India (I was there for work). It would be played a day later (obviously). I would always be embarrassed that of the 3 judges, the one who was clear and articulate was always Simon, who isn't even American.

It is a pity that you have Paula (to a greater extent) and Randy who aren't articulate and who use too much slang representing us Americans. Sometimes I feel they portray Americans as illiterate.

YIKES!

July 22, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. cynthia Huff

I think that Paula should have gone a long time ago, she is incoherent eighty percent of the time. She is too mushy with the contestants and frankly I get sick of watching her. I am glad that she is leaving.

July 22, 2009 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. Guess Who

Check it out ,check it out Dawg! I mean I really dig Paula. I mean check it Dawg with Simon always pawing Paula they make a cute couple. Let's keep the team together. Check it, Kara got it together on the last show cutting Bikini Girl but I dig Paula the most.
    It would be a terrible mistake to not have Paula Abdul at the judges table. Got that Idol producers?

July 22, 2009 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Desiree

I totally disagree.

The judging is obviously as important as the competitors, otherwise Idol wouldn't exist.

That said, Paula is quirky, fun and there's always that "what did she just say?" element to her assessment of each contestant that makes her interesting. She also has a spark that ignites with Simon that is always fun to watch. Kara has NO SPARK and is bland, bland, bland. She has none of the personality+ that Paula has.

Kick Kara off, give Paula more money guys because she deserves it, and return to the old formula that worked so well.

Perhaps Kara was an experiment to even out the boy-girl thing with the judge's panel, but I think she's the element that ruins the chemistry.

You know, when it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

July 21, 2009 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. What a joke

I am tired of American Idol it is a hoax. Maybe Paula should get her own show and give these people who really have talent a shot at making it big

July 21, 2009 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. What a joke

American Idol in person is nothing like what they show on t.v. it is a hoax to get you to watch it. Go to one of their try-outs one time and you will see what I mean. Maybe Paula should get her own show for people who really have the gift of singing and deserve a real shot of making it BIG.

July 21, 2009 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Fed Up

Yes, move on already!! All things must come to an end and her end on the show should be now. She has it out there trying to gain support for her to stay, but we don't care. New blood on the show would be refreshing.

July 21, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. M McAdams

We TIVO Idol, and when Paula comes on, we just skip ahead to Simon. I for one am tired of Paula interrupting Simon. 98% of the time, Simon lets her ramble her "you look good tonight" – E.g the performance was terrible – but she will not observe common courtesy
    and let the man talk.

Paula is way to easy on the contestants. Yes Simon is harsh – but so is show business. And frankly, the man knows what really sells.

I like Kara better – at least she speaks intelligently, and seems to have a sense of humor. Paula has had her time. Its time to move on.

Now, if we can just get rid of Ryan.......

July 21, 2009 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. Libby

I agree with Michael. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The zany combination of Randy, Paula and Simon, each with his/her on pecularities, from all indications, has work for a long time. The addition of Kara, although I believe she is talented and lovely, added awkwardness to the judging portion of the show and made it uncomfortable (at least for me) to watch.

July 21, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

Randy needs to go–as well as Kara–with him it's too much of wanting to hear his own voice repeat the same stuff: Awyight Dawg, It's just OK for me...over + over. With Kara it's cliches abound mixed in with superlatives given away too early, so by the time the last performer of the night gives a great performance–she's already told the less then stellar singer 15 minutes ago that they were the second coming of Christ so we don't even need to bother hearing anyone else. Keep Paula for comic relief more than anything. It's mildly amusing to see how incoherent she is and to what degree when she's on camera.

July 21, 2009 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. Thomas

I don't know about Paula, but it is time for me to leave Idol. This past season stunk! The addition of Kara only enhanced the "suckyness" of the show. Kara is qualified to be a judge - she is a failed singer in her own right. Who better to judge other failed singers?

But personality wise? Kara is about as interesting as cold oatmeal. She has a nasty streak but none, and I mean none, of the charm of Simon.

At least Paula is amusing to watch. I totally agree with the article author's opinion of Randy.

July 21, 2009 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. et

I DVR the show and fast forward through Paula's parts. I can't take her rambling.

July 21, 2009 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Michael

Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree. The judges are what give the show continuity and some flavor - especially as we are getting to know the contestants. And while, yes, it is clear that Paula probably has a little something extra in her Coca-Cola sippy cup, her effusive - yet often perplexing - critiques give the show some balance. Yes, Simon is usually pretty much on point, but the show needs someone who is unquestionably the contestants' champion to balance his "tough love" and no one could do that better than Paula, who has actually been where the contestants are now.

As far as I'm concerned, the show made magic with Simon, Paula, Randy, and Ryan. They hurt themselves by bringing on Kara, and they would hurt themselves even more to let any of the original group get away.

July 21, 2009 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  15. jl98584

Paula can be a pain to watch sometimes and would do herself (and us) a world of good to figure out what's wrong and fix it (maybe rehab?) – but if I recall she was the only one SOLD on David Cook from the get go while Simon wanted to cut him after the Hollywood round? Simon is popular for being rude, but he also is so sure of himself he can't see talent if it doesn't fit within his blinders. Paula senses talent, but is too hesitent to point out people's weaknesses. Simon points out the weaknesses, but doesn't seem to see beyond them. I agree with your comments about Randy, I don't see where he does the contestents or the viewers any good – other than inventing a new language perhaps? Kara just grates on me.

July 20, 2009 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Ruth

I think that Paula provides a perfect foil for Simon and should be retained.

July 20, 2009 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Laura

I totally agree- Paula has always seemed more worried about hurting the contestants feelings than about giving them honest feedback. Kara was very refreshing in that she provided another point of view that was thoughtful, direct and honest without being mean about it like Simon tends to be. Now if they could just get Randy to quit seeing how many catch phrases he can fit into one sentence, the judging would be great.

July 20, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. HJO

She is just holding out for a bigger paycheck. Why do we need to know the absurd amount Simon is getting. It looks sexist to Paula to see her make a fraction of the millions he is getting. And then there is Ryan. What? Millions? Hopefully this is just a bubble like we had in the housing market: ready to POP. I sometimes just hate myself for being part of this madness. But then AI gave us Adam.......

July 20, 2009 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Sarah Lee

I do not agree with you!! I would refuse to watch the show if Paula goes and I think Kara sucks.!!!!!

July 20, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jane

I like Paula Abdul. She is a fixture on the show and belongs there as much as any of the others. I actually prefer Paula over Kara DioGuardi.

July 20, 2009 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |