July 20th, 2009

Chris Brown apologizes to fans

Chris Brown has just released a shocking video in which he apologizes to his fans.  In it he says:

“Hi, I’m Chris Brown.  Since February my attorney has advised me not to speak out even though ever since the incident I have wanted to publicly express my deepest regret and accept full responsibility.  Although I will do some interviews and answer some questions in the future, I felt that it was time that you heard directly from me that I am sorry. I have tried to live my life in a way that can make those around me proud of me and until recently I think I was doing a pretty good job.  I wish I had the chance to live those few moments again.  But unfortunately I can’t.  I cannot go into what happened and most importantly I am not going to sit here and make any excuses I take great pride in me being able to exercise self control and what I did was inexcusable. I am very sad and very ashamed of what I have done. My mother and my spiritual teachers have taught me way better than that.  I have told Rihanna countless times and I am telling you today that I am truly, truly sorry and that I wasn’t able to handle the situation both differently and better.  I recognize that I have truly been blessed.  I have been blessed with a wonderful family, wonderful friends and fans. God has been generous in giving me the ability which has bringing me fame and fortune.  I have done a lot of soul searching and over the past several months I have talked with my minister and my mother and I spent a lot of time trying to understand what happened and why.  I have let a lot of people down and I realize that and no one is more disappointed in me than I am.  As many of you know I grew up in a home where there was domestic violence and I saw firsthand what uncontrolled rage can do.  I sought and I am continuing to seek help to insure that what occurred in February can never happen again and as I sit here today I can tell you that I will do everything in my power to make sure that it never happens again and I promise that.  What I did was unacceptable, 100%.  I can only ask and pray that you forgive me, please.  I hope that others learn from my mistake.  I intend to live my life so that I am truly worthy of the term role model.  Thank you.”

For the complete video and the latest on this fast developing story, be sure to watch Showbiz Tonight at 11pm Eastern and Pacific on HLN- don’t miss it!

1. Sandra Danielson

He's very young and I forgive him! For all that judge Chris Brown, have you not ever made any mistakes that you'd like to have been gorgotten?

July 23, 2009 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Paula

someone mentioned that chris is a boy a boy. the only people know what really happened are rihanna and chris, did any one think that maybe she started the fight. everyone for some reason seems to want to blame chris for it all. i am disapointed that no one in the business reached out to this 18yr kid for making a mistake because there are a ton of teenage girls not in the life who get beat on by the boyfiends everyday who makes them pay. lets not foget he was a young boy. remember it takes two. and of course we know rianna is so completely blame free.

July 23, 2009 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. J.

I agree with another Carribean woman who spoke on this issue on a morning talk show. I believe that this was not the first time that abuse surfaced in this relationship. For someone who knows and who has dated family members of Rihanna, I can say that these individuals are verbally abusive to their own family members. I believe Rihanna is a "firecracker" in her own right. The two were mismatched. Rihanna needs to be with someone who is not a nice guy who allows verbal abuse to go unchecked until it has reached a "boiling point'. Many Carribean men would not tolerate that abusive behavior on her end. Lastly, I must say that abuse should never be tolerated or excused on either end. Never invade another's personal space. One NEVER knows what could provoke another to do something that they would not normally do. He should be forgiven if Rihanna forgives him and should be allowed to continue his career, resume his endorsements and become a spokesman for physical abuse. Lets move on.

July 22, 2009 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tanita

I dont buy his apology. I dont care how bad Rhinna pissed him off. For him to hit, kick, and bite her was ridiculous. Hes a coward and i find it very hard to even support his career at this point.

July 21, 2009 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. swannie

The insincere bit of tripe that was just presented to the public should be laughed at! I cannot believe that Chris thinks this will make fans love him again, or that it will make this all go away. It WON'T! You beat a woman nearly to death, and never made contrite amends. This video only served to make you look worse. I might add, that when you ASK the public to forgive you, don't AX them. You are not only a woman beater but an illiterate one at that!

July 21, 2009 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sandra Danielson

I have loved Chris Brown's talent for a while now. He is doing everything he can to make up for he did. I accept this as his word.

July 21, 2009 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gina

I am sorry I see rage in his apology. He is a young boy with a lot of money, He is unpredicateable. I really see this as a publicity stunt

July 21, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JerseyGirl

You're right, J...only God can truly forgive him. We are sinners, too. However, I agree that instead of apologizing to his fans; he would do better to serve his "fans" by his actions and talking out about what to do to change your ways and show others who may be headed where he's been – that they can save themselves. Amen.

July 21, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MSD4U

Praise God for your "honesty" Brother Chris. Luckily it is God who is your Judge and not Man. It took a lot to come out and start facing your public. Although you & certainly Rihanna know that what happened was horrible neither need the scrutiny of other people. My advice is stand firm to your "Religious" convictions, study, pray, and stay focused on getting the help you need to overcome your "demons". By the way we all have demons to rid ourselves of. If you are serious about your apology then I agree with an earlier entry.....GET OUT AND DO SOME PUBLIC SPEAKING AGAINST DOMESTIC VIOLENCE!! I am praying for "HEALING" for you! Be encouraged and not discouraged!

July 21, 2009 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ron

@ J.....AMEN!!!!

July 21, 2009 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ron

@ Bullsxxt Detector....I hate to say this, but there could be several reasons as to why he didn't directly say "for hitting Rihanna"...but all of that is beside the point. The truth is, he doesn't HAVE to say it at all. We ALL know what he did and what he is apologizing for, so what difference does it make? Also, he dang sure doesn't owe it to YOU to specifically say anything. As a matter of fact, he doesn't owe and apology to ANY of us. He didn't hit you or me. He owes his apologies to Rihanna only. He owes it to the court system to honor the stipulations set in hie plea deal. He owes that and nothing else.

July 21, 2009 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. Danielle

I agree with J. He's a person, a man just like anyone else. What he did i admit was wrong, but people do change. Unfortuantely this world doesn't understand the word "forgiveness".

July 21, 2009 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. Lynn

I thought the apology was an attempt to regain a relationship with his fans, who provide him with the money that he needs to live the blessed life that he does. However, he should have mentioned the physical and emotional damage that he brought to this beautiful young woman. She is the one that he almost killed. He should have also been thankful that he did not get any jail time for his crime. And it was a Crime what he did. Sure he is an entertainer, but he is also a man who severely beat up a woman. Where was the justice? I just pray that Rihanna has NOTHING more to do with Mr. Brown. He needs some serious and lengthly therapy. Hopefully he will start working on that part of his life. I am sure that someone out there will continue to support him and his music. I, however, see him in a different light now. Only time will tell how he handles his future. Thanking God for a second chance would be a good start.

July 21, 2009 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Michael Okeek

He's no Angel, and who am I to judge anyway. If God has forgiven you, don't even worry about what "humans" say...period

July 21, 2009 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. J

How many times does the bible says to forgive? 70 times 7. Who do we think we are not to forgive? If you do not forgive your brother God will not forgive you? Really he do not have to ask us to forgive him, only God. We are sinners just like him!

July 21, 2009 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  16. Chantal

I don't buy it. What? Your record sales suddenly dropped? Why are you appologizing now?!!
    The black and blue photo of Rihanna is very difficult to forget.
    Action speak louder than words.

July 20, 2009 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Melissa

Did it make you feel like a man to beat up on a woman? And you think saying you're sorry that you didn't handle the situation correctly excuses everything? You're pathetic and your career deserves to suffer. You don't deserve success. You don't deserve to have people look up to you. Let's hope your "fans" have enough sense not to follow in your serverly misdirected foot steps.

July 20, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. John

Murderers, rapists, and beaters apologize everyday. Okay. So? What do a few spoken words really change? Nothing. Damage done.

July 20, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jackie

Sorry I love Chris Brown's talent, but he gets no jail time for beating Rhianna to a pulp and Michael Vick serves 23 months for animal abuse.....what is wrong with this picture?????

July 20, 2009 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. kaitlin

ummm i hate to break it to him.... i don't care!!

July 20, 2009 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jay

do people still care about this???

July 20, 2009 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  22. warren smith

go and sin no more

July 20, 2009 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  23. LBW

It is sad that a moment of stupidity can ruin a life, but it happens everyday. I hope that anger management is in his future because he does have issues. This may have cost him a bright future. Time will tell. For now he could be more visible by speaking out against abuse. It's going to take more than an apology.

July 20, 2009 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Bullshit Detector

As usual, an "apology" from a celebrity, that admits to nothing. Chris, the words you are looking for are "I'm sorry I hit Rihanna". Pathetic.

July 20, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |