July 13th, 2009

'True Blood' shells out tantalizing twists

On HBO’s “True Blood,” flipping away from the bloody goodness a minute too soon can hurt.

true.blood.maryann

Sunday’s episode, “Shake and Fingerpop,” shelled out a pair of tantalizing twists in its final moments - a technique writer Alan Ball and company have used a few times in the past for maximum cliffhanger effect. (Proceed cautiously, fans of the fang. Spoilers ahead).

First we learn that the mysterious and seductively creepy Maryann is the minotaur-like creature that’s been carving up the residents of Bon Temps - which wasn’t terribly hard to see coming but good to finally have out in the open.

It also looks like the hormone-soaked parties that she induces - Now with dirt eating! - have something to do with her ability to make the switch.

And right before the credits roll, Sookie learns that she’s not the only one who can read people’s minds. She and Barry, a bellhop at the Dallas vampire hotel, share an accidental brain chat - setting up all kinds of fun questions about who he is, why he’s there and who, if anyone, sent him.

Also, anyone else think bellhop in a vampire hotel would not be a great job for a mind reader? Hell, the minds of a regular hotel’s patrons would be bad enough to peek at, much less a place where “male, straight, B-positive” is an item on the room-service menu.

The bits with Jason and the Fellowship of the Light dragged on a bit, although we get to see his fantasy - think Warrant’s “Cherry Pie” video meets Padma Lakshi’s Hardee’s commercial - about Sarah Newlin and more hints she’s willing to do more than grill ribs and “whip out her pudding” for him.

Laugh of the Night award goes to Lafayette for his amped-up bump and grind with everything within reach after getting a mouthful of Eric’s blood. Apparently the stuff from 1,000-year-old Viking vampires packs more of a punch than he was used to getting.

Not the most action-packed episode ever. But it set up bunches of salty story lines for the near future.

And ... a look at next week's episode.

1. NetLovesYou

Omg!i saw the 6th episode nd it was crazy!nd shoutout to the sexy Eggs!

August 4, 2009 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cindy

Oh yeah, how happy are we that Lafayette is back? I've read all 9 books, and I love the show. Jessica is not in the books, but I love her character. I agree, her trying to get out of the coffin still has me chuckling as I write this. And Lafayette is back as "his ol' self". Yippee! Sunday nights are now THE night for television. True Blood and Entourage together make for "do not talk to me right now" television watching! :) And if the series goes anywhere near the books- watch out for more Eric. (And I mean in a good way!!!)

July 17, 2009 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Estrojen

I'd like to take a moment to give a shout out to my favorite characters on the show lately. These characters are peripheral for the most part, but the actors who portray them have captured my attention and I foresee bigger things for them down the road:
    Of course, Lafayette, played by Nelsan Ellis. He has internalized his character as well as any of the greats have ever done. I believe that he is who he's trying to portray, one hundred percent.
    Andey Bellefleur, played by Chris Bauer. It would be so easy for Mr. Bauer to cross the line to cheesyland, but he just barely plays with it... love it.
    Ginger, the bar girl at Fangtasia, played by Tara Buck. She is sooooo deliciously trashy. For all I know Ms. Buck may have 3 PhD's in nuclear physics, but you just can't picture her as the extremely intelligent woman she must be (to play the character so well) when she screams and shakes for the camera...

July 14, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Angela

I most certainly do not want to go to one of Maryann's parties...Don't like dirt much. Anyone who has read book 2 can tell you why you don't wanna be there.

July 13, 2009 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Laura

I have to say that I LOVE the show but the books are so much better :-) In the book they call Maryanne a "Maenade" a forest dwelling creature that feeds off of sex & destruction among other things so its going to be interesting to see what they do with the character in the show since it seems to be different from the books...either way I am SOOOOOOO excited about this show its amazing!

July 13, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. M.R. in L.A.

Natalie – be patient.

I haven't read the books, so this is all my personal conjecture...
    I think they're setting Jason up as the central figure in a season ending conflict where we see him sent to Dallas to assassinate Bill or Eric or...who knows and ultimately he has to choose between his sister Sookie and his lover Sarah. There should be some good heavy family drama for all the 6 feet under fans (looking in your direction Mr. Dowder).

Or maybe it's going a whole different direction....

Can't wait to see how it plays out!

July 13, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Eddard Stark

When is Buffy going to show up?

July 13, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. juliefreebird

Not a huge vampire fan but love this show. Lafayette my favorite character, so glad he's not dead. I look forward to each weeks show and love that opening song!! Interesting theory from Deb S. about Daphne being the other dog. Maybe that's why the dog wouldn't jump in the water??

July 13, 2009 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Steveo

Anyone else want to go to one of Maryann's parties?

July 13, 2009 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. deb

I get a good laugh out of this show – not as good as Six Feet Under, but that's probably because I've read the books. The series is way different. One plus in the series – it wasn't Lafayette found dead in Andy's car. I love this character. He's a true survivor – without asking for pity or feeling remorse.

July 13, 2009 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Victoria

Tess – the claw marks on Daphine's back – did you see that Maryann had claws when she was meditating towards the end when she was digging in the dirt – she is the bull headed monster that Sookie described to Bill. This show gets more and more interesting each time i watch it.

July 13, 2009 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. imajones

Love the show. Counting down the hours until next week. So glad that Lafayette is back. I had heard in the book he's was a goner....but due to his popularity they kept him in this season and more to come. When the new season started and I saw the foot dangling out of the car I thought for sure that Lafayette was dead. Everyone's great in the show. Curious to see what Maryann is upto with Tara. My friend won't watch it because she's from Alabama and hates when she thinks the southern accents are not spot on. I say....they could be speaking chinese with no subtles and it still would be hot hot hot.
    Even if my t.v.'s sound went out it would still be worth looking at Eric and Bill.

July 13, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tess

The claw gashes on Daphne's Back!!! Is Sam pretending he never saw them? He's making out with her after he saw the claw marks! And then she knows what he is?? This is all too good. I'm hooked for sure. The Jason story line is moving a bit slow but when you stop and think about it, what ever's being cooked up should be awesome. What will become of Jason and Sookies sibling love for one another when Jason becomes a full fledged vampire killer warrior after he is officially brainwashed but those goober nutjob religious fanatics.

July 13, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ejlieb

I totally agree with Surfrider. Jessica is providing plenty of comic relief this season and I love the wierd combination of disovering her vampire self while still trying to be a teenage. I too was laughing out loud last night as she tried to get out of her coffin. :)

July 13, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. nancynovice

Love,love,love the show and books. Alan Ball, I can finally forgive you for ending Six Feet Under and giving us True Blood. You are the MAN!!

July 13, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Surfrider

I appreciate the flexibility of the show more than anything...The abilities of the writers to make it dramatic, ghoolish, sexy and comedic all at the same time has myself, my spouse and our friends hooked...
    I follow all the characters intently, but Jessica is going to be a treat before this season is over..While I found Lafayette amusing last night, it was Jessica trying to get her travel coffin open that made me laugh out loud...watching her learn about her new self is hilarious..

July 13, 2009 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Natalie

I love Tru Blood! I wish Jason Stackhouse would have a better story line, it seems slow to start with him unlike last season. He is sooo HOT, I would like to see a little bit more of that bad boy:) I do like that Eric has a bigger part I think he is the HOTTEST vampire on the show. The show is great hust enough scary that I can't watch it alone at night (I know, I know)

July 13, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Deb S.

What about when Daphne whispered that she knew what Sam was? That was something I didn't see coming...unless she is the other dog he runs with.

July 13, 2009 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Vivienne

I am so addicted to this show! Someone watched it with me for the first time, and he couldn't stop laughing after watching Lafayette antics. I kept telling him to watch the first season. Great show!

July 13, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Rosey Baxter

Love love love love love ERIC !!!!!

LOVE THE SHOW. Only got HBO because my cable company gave it to me for free for three months. I'm completely head of heels about TRUE BLOOD.

Alexander Skarsgård rocks !

July 13, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Melissa

I just love this show. The makers must live in the area because the even have the parking permits on the windows of the cars. Those actually exist. I'm not much of one for Bill (he really isn't a very magnetic vampire), but Eric just oozes sexy and the shows writing are just incredible.

July 13, 2009 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. I heart Eric

Like most people, I didnt read the books and then discover the show. It was the other way around. Like Lisa, I absolutely love the books and think Charlaine Harris has done a wonderful job with the characters and world she created. Though the show does take its twists and turns from the book, most of it is the same. I look forward to watching every week to see how Alan Ball combines the two. I like that the show strays a bit from the books. It makes the show more interesting and keeps those of us who have read the books guessing.

July 13, 2009 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  23. frenchmaster

First, you must watch all episodes of any show to make a detailed comment about it. You cannot come to conclusions upon watching one or two episodes. This is the most watched series on HBO after the Sopranos...that should tell you one or two things about how outstanding it is.

Secondly, I have not read the books myself, I won't lie. However, I have many friends who have and they all agree that the books are very well translated into the series. I think it is highly entertaining and the twists that might be taking place different from the book, will just make us all want more. Allan Ball was a genious with Six Feet Under and his expertise has just matured with True Blood.

My hat's off to Mr. Ball....

July 13, 2009 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  24. Vicki

THIS SHOW IS ADDICTING – ERIC CAN BITE ME ANYTIME – WHAT A SEXY VAMPIRE – KUDOS TO THE WRITERS OF TRUE BLOOD.

July 13, 2009 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  25. Lisa

When I first heard about True Blood I didn't know it was based on the Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse novels. I had started watching the show and instantly got hooked. Right after the 2nd season started I decided to order the books. I had ordered the box set with the first 7 books of the series and went through them within a couple of weeks. I ordered 8 and 9 and am reading them now. I absolutely love the books, they are written well and are very entertaining. As with all book to movie/tv shows there is always changes made to adapt to tv and screen, so of course the story/ characters are changed. I am still watching the show, and am very interested to see how they are going to play out the different stories in the books and wether or not they are going to introduce all the characters. The only thing, I noticed last night watching the show some parts just seemed a little cheesy. I told my husband I hope I didn't ruin the show for myself since I read the books.

July 13, 2009 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  26. Doug Gross

Very good point, Courtney. Being around mostly vampires would provide some much-needed peace and quiet for the most part - although I'm not sure I'd want to know what's going through Mr. B-Positive's head either.

July 13, 2009 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  27. Beth

LoveEric- you must read mind's as I thought the same exact thing :)

July 13, 2009 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  28. Jeff Dowder

This show is unwatchable...a big letdown after the genius of Six Feet Under.

July 13, 2009 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  29. LoveEric

OMG!!! Lafayette was hilarious. Best part of the show last night.

July 13, 2009 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  30. Amy

Exactly Courtney. Vampire hotel = Mind Readers Dream

July 13, 2009 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  31. Noone

What Courtney said.

Lame article. Try watching the show before you write about it.

July 13, 2009 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  32. Courtney

If Barry's mind-reading capabilities are the same as Sookie's, then a job in a vampire hotel would be GREAT, as we know from season 1 (and the books, those of us who have read them) that her mind-reading skills only work on humans and, to a limited extent, shifters. NOT vampires. That's part of the attraction Bill has for Sookie–she doesn't have to keep her mental guard up all the time to keep his thoughts out.

July 13, 2009 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |