July 13th, 2009

The boys are back: 'Entourage' fans unite!

Editor's Note: This blog post contains spoilers for the season premiere of HBO's "Entourage."

Entourage cast

The sixth season is underway. When we last left the crew, Vince's career had fallen on lean times, Martin Scorsese appeared to ask Vince to play a lead role in his new flick, the boys toast to what the future might bring and we faithful "Entourage" fans are left hungry for more.

Last night's season premiere got off to a quick start with the familiar diet of Ari Gold's insult-laced dash through the agency on his way to a surprising showdown with Gold's faithful assistant, Lloyd. Lloyd is the very polite "yin" to Gold's very profane "yang". But this time, Lloyd is demanding a promotion or answers as to when things will work in his career's favor... or both, in no particular order.

The interaction between these two is memorable as Gold soon realizes he cannot break Lloyd's will on the issue and offers the proverbial olive branch. In a brilliant, simple moment of "Entourage" hilarity, Gold proclaims "Lloyd, you have 100 days". Needless to say, this particular plot line could carry the show and make for a comedic season of its own.

At this point in the episode, all the familiar "funny-cool comforts" of "Entourage" are back in place. Let's recap them quickly:

• I'm not a fan of Eric's ex-girlfriend Sloan and I wish he would extinguish that flame once and for all. She doesn't deserve 75 cents for cheese on her Whopper.
  • I sense an "Independent Vince" theme developing as this season progresses that started with the driving test that Vince failed miserably. More on that shortly.
  • Johnny Drama's aptly-timed "Drama-isms" always seem to have us searching for the logic hidden deep within (whether said logic actually exists-or not).
  • Turtle's budding romance with former Sopranos' star Jamie-Lynn Sigler is a touchdown for the regular guys whenever she appears, and the regular guys are rooting for him - big time. Turtle, you complete us.
  • Gold's buddy-turned-reclamation-project Andrew Klein is officially due for an epic crash and burn at Mr. Gold's expense. While I can smell Grey Flannel in the air when he's on-screen, I cannot predict exactly when the crash will come. However, just like the public bus, I know it is coming soon.

The episode ends with Vince coming home to an empty house. The boys are each off having their own adventures, and this uncharted water foretells that there are new shenanigans to be had.

All in all, it was an enjoyable start. Lots of ideas were sparked with the first episode and it will be interesting to see how things play out. Do you agree? Tell us your thoughts on "Entourage" below.

1. Michael

"The Turtle romance doesn't see realistic"- Jamie Lynn is dating Jerry Ferrar (Turtle) in real life...

July 20, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ernie

Enjoyed the 1st episode. I like the Sloan character, she's hot, but I would have liked Anna Feris to have a on-going role as a potential girlfriend for Eric, he's hopeless romantic. The Drama role is great. Like to see Vince continue to bed all the hotties. Not crazy about the Andrew Klein role; yes he's going to crash and burn! The Turtle romance doesn't see realistic, they should have Turtle as her boy toy.

July 15, 2009 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ken

This was my first time viewing this program and I became immediately interested. I shall continue to follow the episodes to see when Vince causes an accident or when Eric decides that Sloan doesn't deserve the time of day.

July 14, 2009 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rob

I thought that it was a pretty good first episode. I think that Vince realizing that he is alone will lead to him having a serious girlfriend. Hopefully it will be with a celebrity. I can see E getting back together with Sloane, which is awesome because she is smoking hot and I like seeing her. Turtle will end up breaking up with Jamie Lynn, as was evidenced when she says "this is Turtle. Yep, Turtle, like a little dog" during the premiere of the Scorsese film (which I saw the preview for on HBO on Demand). And all I can say about Drama is that he's drama. Great character.

July 13, 2009 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tom

Show seems to be struggling with direction, and focus. I agree that the Andrew Klein character has been brought in to crash and burn. The Turtle "romance" is pure fantasy...not sure what the point is. That would never happen in life. I'm finding now that the characters are pretty static...hopefully it will change with better story lines, and character development.

July 13, 2009 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. hayer

wow! very romantic language, akan mungkinkan the adventurous to begin ...

July 13, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeremy Calcador

First and foremost I am a huge fan, but why can't Doug Ellin and Wahlberg make the show an hour long. I mean every other major show and drama on cable tv are an hour long. As for the show I truly believe that each man will be in a serious relationship by the time the season is over with. Hopefully, they'll remain close and continue to season 7.

July 13, 2009 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. someentouragefan

Vince got his license because he is playing Enzo Ferrari in an upcoming movie. There were probably 5 mentions of it in the episode.

July 13, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mp2891

Are you kidding? I could watch an entire episode with nothing but Sloan, Sloan, and more SLOAN!!!!

July 13, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brooke

I will admit that I don't watch Entourage faithfully....try not really at all, but I DID catch a marathon once and I was thoroughly entertained by it. Great characters and stories. After reading your post, I think I'll consider switching from Showtime to HBO just to see what the upcoming season brings :-)

July 13, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Paul1963

I really hope Vince getting his license doesn't lead to a ripped-from-the-headlines story involving a hit-and-run or something worse.

July 13, 2009 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |