July 7th, 2009

We are the World hits chord for some

For Gen-Xers and Baby Boomers: Can you remember where you were when the song, "We are the World" first became popular? It came out in 1985 and was co-produced by Michael Jackson. The song brought out lots of emotion, and memories, both inside the Staples Center and outside with fans singing along.

This might be one of those songs you won't get out of your head later.

1. brazilian escorts in London

I would like to read more soon. By the way, rather nice design this blog has, but don’t you think it should be changed from time to time?

October 20, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. Roxanne

This song is actually demonic. o.o

October 9, 2009 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. cindy

Michael Jackson....He is the greatest inside and out. I believe he is "smiling" right now. Paris Jackson was ultimately the best farewell because her heart was for her daddy. I believe it was very fitting that a child, but not just any child but his own precious flesh and blood gave her loving tribute to him. He loved children and his children meant the world to him. The world saw the love that he gave from his heart and now know not just the performer but the "man in the mirror". Peace.

July 8, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Linda

I thought yesterday's memorial to Michael Jackson was extremely done with class and felt like a true memorial service. The emotions were highly felt on screen as off. The sad story is that all of these people who attended yesterday's memorial all cared and loved
    Michael Jackson, but yet no one could help him in his
    crisis with his life.
    I did not stop crying for his family, and of course the very
    tragic ending of Michael Jackson's life – he was the
    ultimate in the entertainment world, and will be very missed
    and sadly never replaced!

July 8, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. arpisa

Let's celebrate his spirit that will live with us forever
    Rest in peace ,Michael

July 8, 2009 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. Beverly Dudley

The tribute today was a fitting memorial to a genius in the enter-
    tainment industry. May his family be comforted with the knowledge
    that he used his God given talent to entertain,deliver a message of love and help those in need. He was a blessing to many

Beverly

July 7, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Patricia L. Sullivan

I mourn the loss of this man, a great entertainer, a son, a father, a brother, a friend, a human being. We all make mistakes in this life, some are brought to national and international attention because of who we are, others remain anonymous because of who they aren't. The world should put that all behind us and remember the great contributions to the world of music that Michael Jackson gave us. Remember him for those things and not for others. And say a little prayer for someone whose internal demons got the better of him.

July 7, 2009 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Laura Williams

I do mourn the loss of a great entertainer. His children, family, friends and millions of his fans mourn his loss also. But I mourn most for what Michael lost, HIS life. We are celebrating his life, his music and the love and contributions he gave to so many people and charities. But we must remember the accusations and inflictions that were placed upon him and the ways in which he chose insulate himself from all that pain; which resulted in HIS great loss, that of his life.

July 7, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lynne Monacy

I loved the memorial service as a whole and was very moved by the outpouring of love. I found myself wishing during the rendition of We are the World that they had included more of the original players to take part. And I don't know if Lionel was overcome with grief or if he was angry about not getiing due credit for co-writing it. He looked angry. All in all, very, very moving.

July 7, 2009 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sharon O

Have you ever heard this song performed by children? It is absolutely beautiful. That is the way MJ preferred it - sung by children.

July 7, 2009 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jenifer Malcolm

I just want to say that I was so so so happy that they sang my favorite song "Heal the World" for the last song. I was waiting for it to be sung.IT moved me, then the last words really had me, I cried and cried. Thank You for the best memorial ever. Thank You MJ LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU. We will remember you forever.

July 7, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. michele

This is a very special and emotional farewell to a great entertainer ...so moving, i can't control my tears. The videos of Michael that was shown reminds me of how a great dancer he is. The beat of his music was just different, and very enticing, you just want to shake your body to it. I grew up in the Philippines, even over there he was a superb artist. Loved by all. We will miss you, Michael.

July 7, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Julie K. Polley

It saddens me that so many can come together in Michael's death, but where were they when he was being ridiculed by the world?? I have always know he had a kind and gentle soul and would not harm anyone. I am praying for his children, they have lost a wonderful, loving Father.

July 7, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jess

Who was the woman who sang the song? She was awesome!!! :-)

July 7, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Melissa

Its already going around in my head. I remember where I was when I first heard that song. It has a way of making people feel united like no other song in the world. Simply beautiful. Wonderful choice to help close the service.

July 7, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  16. John

Michael Jackson was my first childhood idol. I remember when Thriller came out I was 5 years old and it was the greatest music I had ever heard. The videos, the dancing – I knew then that he was the coolest person on the planet then and over the years I would learn what a special person Michael truly was, eventually falling in love with the music that preceeded and also what followed this historic album. I did not realize it as a kid but now understand how much he contributed to the world – playing such a crucial role in the creation of this first generation – my generation – the majarity of whom see beyond culture, color and race. Now I play his music for my children knowing that we will continue his message of peace and unity. Rest in Peace, Michael. You will be missed and never forgotten. Thank you so much!

July 7, 2009 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jenille Dawson

I loved the fact that they sang We Are The World. That song opened alot of peoples eyes. The group who sang did a great job. If anybody knows who the group of people are please post something.

July 7, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Tony

Watching the performer Shaheen who is a son of an Iranian at the MJ'smemorial was refreshing and shows how Michael was loved all over the world.

July 7, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Fran Mazzara

It was 1985, my husband and I were in China on a medical exchange program. A group of us(Americans) decided to visit a Chinese night club. China had just opened up to the World, therewere few caucasians. After we entered and sat down the band began to play "We are the World". Next we knew the other patrons, all Chinese, stood. They grabbed our hands and before we knew it we were circling the dance floor, hand in hand all singing in our native tongues. One of the most moving exriences embodying the true meaning of the song...we werethe World, coming together as one to celebrate our unity and belief in each other.

July 7, 2009 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Antoinette Portis

Mys son was Three at the time and he was graduating from one Pre-K ! Class to another in 1985. We are the World was a big Hit , My Sons School in College Park, Georgia. Pine Villa Child Enrichment Center. They had the kids singing we are the world . and then the techers were trying to talk and my son grabbed the Microphone and contined to sing his own rendition of We are the World. the Teachers were very mad and asked me not to bring him back

July 7, 2009 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  21. MJB

It felt as if the song "We are the world" was talking not of the past but now when so many of us are losing our jobs we need to come together as one and care for each other more now than ever. Thanks Michael for giving us so much.

July 7, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Leslie

I have not been able to see most of the memorial service because there are so many of us that are tr ying to watch it on line. When I heard the opening chords, it brought tears to my eyes. I grew up with Michael. We are but a few months apart in age. I loved his work and the man himself. What a wonderful song that this was and will be rememberd alway.
    We willl miss you Michael.

July 7, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |