July 7th, 2009

Shields remembers Jackson and his signature glove

Holding back tears, Brooke Shields recalls when she asked Michael Jackson "what's with the glove?" The actress went on to say Jackson was a "genius" and a "lover of life." The pair dated in the early 1980s and remained friends.

1. shoozeyque

There were many touching and emotional moments during the memorial that I could mention, however, two stood out the most to me. The first one was when Usher was singing "Gone too Soon" and walked down to MJ's casket and touched it, and could barely finish the song due to his sorrow. The next and most poignant of all, was when MJ's little girl walked up to the mike and said how much she loved her daddy. That was a real heartbreaker.

MJ was loved by all on this planet way more than he ever could have imagined. RIP, MJ.

July 9, 2009 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. Christianne

I think Brooke Shields gave a wonderfull speech.

The only thing I do not understand is why the in the text of CNN is written; 'the pair dated'. What's up with that? Brooke said they where very good friends, so dating was not a part of that of do I misunderstand something? I think CNN (media) must write what is true and verify stories not make them allong the way.

July 9, 2009 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. gretchen

I was so proud of Brooke Sheilds , she spoke very highly of Michael and their relationship.

July 9, 2009 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. August

I luv jackson

July 9, 2009 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. chris

Very heart wrenching, can't get over how sad I feel, can't believe Michael Jackson is really gone. However remembered forever in in our hearts with our own memories. Special to me because we are the same age and same month. God Bless.

July 9, 2009 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. stephanie d. sullivan

thank you precious brooke shields...we love you too; our prayers are with you -michael's heartfelt n' good lovin friend-

July 9, 2009 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  7. Gabbie

There is no doubt that MJ was the greatest entertainer and it is very sad to see that he is gone. However,he was not a great black icon b/c a person who is considered a momumental example to black people would not disown and be ashamed of his or her race. That is what Michael Jackson did. Yes, we saw the apparent change in his skin color, but he went too far by having white children created just to fit his identity complex. Did he actually think that people would actually believe that those were his biological children? In addition, how can I as a brown-skinned woman be proud of a man who disowned his own race? How can I see him as a black icon and a world icon as well? It is very disheartening to see that he did not care for his own people, and yet he expressed so beautifully in his music that "it does not matter if you are black or white." It obviously mattered to him. He is just an example that we should deal with our identity issues.

July 9, 2009 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

I was moved by the memorial. Michael Jackson touched many with his wonderful life. I hate that some news media has portrayed him as such a ugly character. We have to remember his family and his beautiful children.

Thank you Mr. KIng and your staff for illustrating such class and dignity when it comes to Michael Jackson and his family.

July 8, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cyndi Vo

I will miss the King of Pop deeply. I have grown up with him and I think the thing I will miss most is the Man of Thousand Smiles. They are all different and give us a glimpse of the man he is and was, each one was special in its own way and having watched a lot of them this week, I see that each one is unique and full of his light. He will be missed deeply.

Cyndi Vo

July 8, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Al Potter

kudos to CNN and Larry for wonderful coverage of MJ

July 8, 2009 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Al Potter

Have Brooke Shields on the show

July 8, 2009 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Aravind

Michael you will always be the King of Pop!! R.I.P.

July 8, 2009 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Al P

Michael Jackson was a human being with flaws as well as greatness that touched our hearts.

July 8, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Al P

Michael gave the world hope

July 8, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Al P

Michael will live on in our hearts.

July 8, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Sylvie

At the memorial...I was truly moved by the whole Jackson Family.
    Michael's brothers,all dressed the same. They looked so elegant and
    respectful. They showed how the really loved their brother,and
    each other,
    Their tribute to him,showed how much they loved him.
    They seem to be a close nit family,which is worth much more
    then all the money in the world.

Sylvie

July 8, 2009 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sandi

Michael Jackson will be missed by millions.It broke my heart deeply when i heard the tragic news.So young and talented.I pray for his beautiful children and hope people stop judging.It's really sad that someone with such talent and gentleness was ridiculed when all he wanted was to peace and love in this world.He will be sadly missed and never forgotten.

July 8, 2009 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  18. PollyAnna

Did you receive my previous comment ???

July 8, 2009 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  19. monica morais-doucett

with heart in hand
    for all to see
    a gift for all man
    the giving of ones soul
    no longer his own
    to unite an entire globe
    words cannot know
    the blessing of your show
    thank you michael.

July 8, 2009 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Angela

Michael Jackson was as said at his funeral, "the world's greatest entertainer." My memories are from the start of the Jackson Five and on to Michael's greatness. The funeral was beautiful and the tributes were great, but where were all these friends in the last 10 years of his life? Why didn't all these so called friends stop him from self destructing. It is always interesting to see how many people claim to have loved someone after their death. It would be much more meaningful to have shown Michael Jackson friendship, love and support while he was here on earth. My thoughts are with him.

July 8, 2009 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Monica

I was touched by all the fans. Regardless of all the negative publicity of his life, he was loved by millions all over the world. I'm sorry that he didn't get to see the love USA had for him.

He will forever be in my heart. His music will play forever.

July 8, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Elizabeth

Mr.Jacksons music is universal. It has touched and will continue to touch everyone who hears it played. He was a extremely talented man, who will be greatly missed. Music is the universal language that reaches out to every human being on the planet and in a unifying way it has united us all. And I find it doubtfull if in our life times we will ever see another person touch our hearts and souls with music as he has done. May he find peace in the next life that eluded him in this one.

July 7, 2009 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  23. eana1

Brooke-THANK YOU! Not only for sharing your memories with us. But for laughing and crying with us, as well.

No wonder Michael loved you, and loved being in your company.

You're definitely a CLASS ACT. And I wish you and yours all good things, now and always.

July 7, 2009 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Steve

Thank you for the most heart-felt tribute given today, Brooke. Everyone who spoke was eloquent, but you reminded us the most of the fact that Michael was like the rest of us, only human.

July 7, 2009 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Tracy

Brooke Shields tribute to Michael was the one where we got a personal glimpse into the life of Michael Jackson and made him seem more real to me. I think she did an excellent job of paying tribute to her friend and it moved me very much.

July 7, 2009 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  26. chantille

Brooke it sounds like you and MJ had a beautiful friendship, you are so lucky to have met him. Your tribute had me tears.

July 7, 2009 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  27. CKD

The tibute Brook Shields gave and the song sang afterwards by Michaels brother is what will stick in my mind. He was a truly amazing person and these two individuals truly loved Michael as a person not just an entertainer.

July 7, 2009 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Shirley-Mae Moffatt

I loved Michaels music since the days of the moon walk....
    his songs were always a kind, clean message...and touching...
    the judgers can say what they like about Michael...
    he was a harmless man that touched the hearts of many..
    Not just with his songs but his giving,,,

RIP Michael

July 7, 2009 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Linda Tarrant-Reid

Cicely Tyson was just interviewed by Don Lemon about MJ's glove and she stated that her designer Bill Witnin (sp) designed the glove for MJ because MJ wanted to cover up his vitiligo which started on his hands. I empathize and understand what MJ went through when his vitiligo first appeared. I also have vitiligo and it started on my fingers and has now spread on other parts of my body. Why hasn't any of the medical reporters investigated the debilitating affects of this chronic disease, instead of running these stories about how MJ did not want to be black and turned white!!! Do you really think he wanted to be white? I don't think so, you all would have really ridiculed him if he performed on stage with vitiligo spots!! Amazing!! You guys are really ignorant , don't do your homewor and fare alling down on the job. Glad none of you are my doctors!!!

July 7, 2009 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  30. John W

I enjoyed Brook Shields tribute to MJ. Her words gave us a glimpse of the private person. She helps reinforce my belief that MJ was just a child at heart and would have innocent fun with kids. Smile....

July 7, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Diane

Brooke and Michael made a beautiful couple when they were dating. I remember when they first made their public appearance together.

You can see from her words that she is a genuine caring person mourning a much loved Michael.

Thank you, Brooke, for stating in your own words what a wonderful loving person Michael was. He now dances with the angels. God rest his soul.

July 7, 2009 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  32. MJB

I enjoyed Brook Shields memories, thanks so much Brook for bring him closer to us.

July 7, 2009 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Cheryl Morris

Brooks was so moving and genuine. It was nice to hear from someone who truly knew Michael and his spirit. She moved me so much, I cried.

July 7, 2009 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  34. chuck

I remember seeing Michael with his date Brook Shields during one awards ceremony. This was back when old idiot people in my home state of Texas still didn't believe that a white woman should have accepted the invitation of a black man. There are so so many idiot people in all states still living and believing the most idiot things about couples of different races or same sex. I remember being so proud of Michael for inviting Brooke and soooo proud of Brooke for accepting this high profile invitation. I'll be so glad when all of the idiots are gone so that free thinkers can finally have a turn at bat in this crazy world. Thanks for the memories Michael.

July 7, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |