July 7th, 2009

It's so hard to say goodbye

Even though Michael Jackson's golden casket stood, spotlighted with flowers resting atop, it was still difficult for many at his memorial to grasp the reality.

The King of Pop is gone.

Inside the Staples Center in Los Angeles, the respectful quiet was often broken by shouts of support.

Fans yelled things like "You're leading the choir in heaven now, Michael" and "Thank you, Michael" to express their overwhelming love for the man who gave the majority of his life to thrill and entertain them.

But now he would do so no more. There was a palpable feeling of sadness.

While I expected sorrow, and even a few laughs at the memorial, I didn't expect the overwhelming intimacy I felt inside the venue as fans bid farewell to one of the most famous people in the world.

People consoled one another, and there was a sense of respecting the fact that they were being allowed to say a final goodbye. The Jackson family, which had shared their son, brother, father, and uncle with the world, was now inviting that world in to glimpse their mourning and share in just a small portion of their pain.

It was an honor to be there, and it was obvious that many who were there understood and cherished that.

–Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

1. Alex

I love Michael JAckson more than I could express in words and i mean it. He's left all other artist behind with his talent, he's just been miraculous to watch. Moreover, his kindness and generosity are beyond words. It's like the world was not ready for someone like Michael, for such unaffected graciousness. I feel blessed that, although always separated by 26 years and a half, i managed to see him live when i was 11. He is timeless and i adore how he stood up to his beliefs, how he tried to heal evryone even when they 'kicked dirt in his eye'.. I was in love with him then and i am in love with him now and will be so for as long as i live. Just wished i could have really meet him, if only for a minute, to hug him and hold on tight.
    I promise that in all my beautiful moments you'll have a share, Michael. And that i will try to be the best that i can be, for your sake. I love you.

August 23, 2009 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Doris Scarpetta

MJ / Hope Diamond

MJ was a delicate, gentle, loving, generous and misunderstood man. Talented beyond anyone present or past. MJ Shined. Like the Hope Diamond in a box of rocks. May his soul be at peace as he long ago deserved. With a heavy heart I say goodbye to Michael Jackson. You were loved. Doris

July 26, 2009 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  3. Stephanie

Michael abused drugs, but he never intended for it to go this far. He didn't go to rehab because there were other things going on, like the media and tabloids selling false stories about him. How can anyone focus on their well being with the tought of the whole world judging him. With a sensitivity like that, Michael would not have been able to dealt with that. The tabloids were selfish and only cared about money. Michael Jackson was a billionaire and he never took anyone down. A kind-hearted man like that is rarely ever found. The doctors put him on higher doses to manipulate him so he wound be dependent on drugs. They took advantage of him because he was too kind. Now, they are paying their price.

Michael never molested any children. How can one think so.. look at him after his trials. He lost energy. It was the media that was the main cause of his death. And, no wonder he became depressed. The policemen tore apart Neverland. I still don't understand why they would do that? Can someone explain that to me??

July 16, 2009 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Belgium

I am getting a bit upset about all this admiration of MJ. Doesn't anybody care about the 3 children? Thanks MJ's drugabuse they now are living without a father. Some "icon" he was. People with drug issues go to rehab, especially if you have young innocent children. Don't blame the doctors. That's like blaming a drugpusher for your addiction. Wrong!!!! He was old enought to realize what he was doing. As for the memorial gaugy...
    As for Michaels kids: "go to school, get an education. Don't do drugs!"

July 15, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Happy - Mexico

It strikes me how many people fail to understand that we, as public, fans or followers all over the world needed a farewell moment, needed closing, after days and days of news mixed with rumours –as always happened with Michael Jackson. Even if we directly weren't part of his life, he was part of ours in very special, individual ways.

I was not a huge fan as many, but Michael's death certainly shocked me and made me realize he was more interwoven in my life than I had thought. Many remeber him as a great musician but mainly I think of him as the greatest entertainer I have known along my life. He was a wonderful singer but also a magical dancer. He was also a hard worker who traveled the world sharing his gifts several times. He did not only belong to the US, but to all of us in the world, not only through his recordings, but through his live appearances. A huge part of his existence was dedicated to entertain us all and he excelled at doing that.

I wish everyone in the world would see how Michael was human, light and darkness as we all are, and also stop judging him. Who are we to judge? Judging is not loving.

Most of all, I wish that we all listened to his ever present messages and tried to land them in reality. All children of the world deserve love and being raised with awareness. If all of us had had better childhoods, this world would be so different...

RIP, MIchael.
    Thank you for all your gifts.

July 9, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Candace

I wanted to add my small voice to this global conversation. MJ should be forever remember for all he gave the world. He was one of the major influences in our culture. He opened doors, provided hope, joy, and never left one without a smile on their face after a performance. I hope we as a society and the media can take a step back and see how our influence can cause destruction in another's life. MJ chose to give to us despite what we threw at him. In one's death they should not be scrutinized, but respected. We should be showing is concerts and music videos non stop on TV to really remember how great he was, not bottles of Proprofol. Even in death our society fails to be respectful. Further, if the media feeds information to the public based on what we want to hear, then why is the media coverage so negative and the personal blogs online so positive? Its time to take a step back and see how we affect those who give so much to us. Thank MJ and the Jackson family for sharing this wonderful man with us.

July 9, 2009 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. Elaine

News coverage is for everyone in this country. Michael Jackson fans alike. Music lifts the soul when discouraged, etc. If you weren't touched by his gift, then don't click on the story. There are plenty of other stories to read. I am a conservative, Baptist female that grew up listening to Michael. I am grieving and mourning his death and appreciate the coverage. Thank you CNN. Also, I have done a lot of research by reading, listening to Michael's closets friends, and I don't believe he did the things he was accused of. Like Ms. Lee said at the memorial, we are innocent until proven guilty. (I think I'll change my political party while I'm at it...I'm sick of who represents Republicans these days.) God bless you Jackson family. You were all so beautiful on Tuesday, thanks for letting millions of us mourn with you.

July 9, 2009 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. vyvyan

Did Michael really left with all the thrills,feels,skills and zeals? entertainment world is surlly going to feel this huge blow and only God knows how and if it would ever recover or even wake up from this treble dream.
    R.I.P MJ.

July 9, 2009 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tiffany

Dear Michael Jackson,

I have never gotte chance to see you personally. I knew in 1993, you came to Singapore for concert. I was 13 years old then. I have a close secondary school friend who is same age as me bought your album, Dangerous. We admire your singing and dancing talents.
    You were full of energy and drive when perfomed on stage.

I was on way to work on 26 Jun, Friday morning Singapore time when the news on tv announced that you had passed away. I could not believe. Quite shocking. My close secondary friend smsed me of the news. Took me awhile to digest the fact that you were not here anymore....

Tears just welled up in my eyes as I watched your brothers carrying the casket in tte Staples Center and your daughter who praised about how good you were as a father during the memorial shown on Singapore TV.

May you watch over your children and protect them from the media scrutiny.

Rest in peace, Michael and hope you will find a better and much happier place.

From Singapore.

July 9, 2009 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. m. slater

I grew up with the J5, dancing to MJ's music and watching all his video's. There are no words to that everyone else hasn't already said. We will miss him dearly, but it is time to move forward and be about the business of change, "Yes We Can". Keep showing is video's but leave his children along. Don't do to them what the media did to MJ. May God bless those 3 little children to give them the life that their father NEVER had!

July 9, 2009 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  11. F Griffin

Emotion overwhelms me and I only wish I could make this better for his family. Michael, Janet and all the Jacksons have been woven into the fabric of our lives artistically, socially, and globally... Some of us are so blessed to have forgiving, compassionate, and caring hearts. Without these very critical characteristics you can not truly appreciate the wonderfulness that was and still is Michael Joseph Jackson. The naysayers don't understand that people who truly love Michael can not be swayed by the negative press. We don't care what is said because we honestly are in love with his soul, his very essence. I pray that his family, especially his children can be given the time they need to heal and grow closer.

July 8, 2009 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Karen Ross

I totally agree with the woman below who said that Micheal's in heaven teaching the angels new dance moves! :) What a delightful thought, and he probably is doing just that :)
    They're 'getting down' in heaven right now with Michael–thats the best party is town right about now :)
    May you finally have all the happiness your heart can hold beloved.

July 8, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Johnda Bates

I absolutely adored Michael Jackson!..I would have loved to attend his Memorial Service...but, unfortunately I was not chosen to attend. I was very pleased with CNN's coverage..it was Great!....Thank You Michael Jackson for making my life better!...Johnda

July 8, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Gigi

1963 in Toronto Canada, a talented black familly of musicians without the push of Joe Jackson, told their neighbors they were the Jacksons cousins. Who could say we were not. We could dance, play instruments, sing and we were good looking. Today I live to sit in my livingroom in the USA, and watch this family's wishes being ignored. How I am asking myself can the most respected reporters in the U.S. allow themselves to bless in the same breath that they damn. So my questions, are what is the real feeling here, news or reporting. In the archives you have left these young children pain beyond beyond. When is enough enough. Did Micheal not give you enough of himself? Is it necessary to take his blood,his children and his grandchildrens blood as well, in the interest of news. Do you really think that his fans are not satisfied with saying goodbye. Do not realize that you DO have the ability to shape the ethics and integrity of news and reporting today.
    I will be back!

July 8, 2009 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. coreys mom

to all you guys that think we don't think about our soldiers dying left and right in iraq,your wrong. we can muti task our grief! we CAN feel bad about our soldiers but we can also feel bad about michael jackson. the beauty of america is, we have choices! we choose to mourn both, thank you very much. you caN blame good ol bush for the war in iraq if your just looking for a whippin dog!

July 8, 2009 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Janet James

I simply cannot believe that Larry King is talking live about who Michael Jackson's children are....when they are very much alive and very vulnerable right now. Simply put...they are his children, and have been since their births. Shame on you all

July 8, 2009 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Wanza

Stevie Wonder and I are feeling the same way, cannot believe that he's gone. I'm waiting on the dawn of the morning to shine into my window behind my bed and I wake up from this very bad & sad dream.

July 8, 2009 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mallory Holguin

R.I.P. Michael Jackson. Your legacy will continue through the hearts of your countless fans. Myself included. You were beautiful and your star will always shine bright.

July 8, 2009 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Patricia Butler Dufault

Michael Jackson You already knew it wouldn't be forever.
    You tried to tell us. We always chose not to listen.
    We only heard what in your heart was telling us.
    You give us your loved and music would last a lifetime
    Rest In Peace my Sweet Angel ...

I loved you with all my heart, I Will Miss You

July 8, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Georgia

I was deeply affected by death of Michael Jackson. I felt that I had just lost a brother and reminiscing about the letter I wrote to him after his accident in the Pepsi commercial when I was nine years old. I took his death very hard and throughout the memorial service, cried my heart out. I pray for his peace now and will miss him very much.

July 8, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Marianne Morissette

I'm blessed to have lived during the lifetime of Michael Jackson. He's now feeling total peace, love & freedom, dancing & singing with angels; he's teaching them new dance moves & new songs, probably about saving our planet. Through Michael Jackson, we are the world!
    God Bless You & Rest In Peace Michael.
    Marianne Theresa Morissette, San Diego, California

July 8, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. ladypl

I don't think that remembering Michael Jackson takes anything away from the soldiers dying everyday. In fact just the opposite, it reminds us all that we are all alike and that death is terrible for the biggest and the smallest of us all. If anything, his death and the hoopla surrounding it should be a reminder to enjoy and appreciate life to the fullest and to remember all our fallen loved ones whether they are famous or not.

Even on the most exalted throne we are all still only human and our lives are fragile and have value to someone.

For one day a lot of people on this planet we call home came together to mourn not only a man but our own humanity. This WORLD grieved together for the first time in a long time. What's wrong with that?

July 8, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Kim R.

I was so touched by the memorial service...I was glued to the TV for 3 hours...I am thankful to the Jackson family for humanizing Michael's children and themselves. We the fans got to see that they are real people...not hidden behind a veil. I think by letting so many people share in this public memorial service it will help us all to get though this devasting loss. I have loved Micheal for many years and he will live on through his music forever!!! RIP Michael!

July 8, 2009 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  24. Rasheed Adatia

I am so sorry for this huge loss. I feel the pain of Jackson family, specially, the children, Paris, Michael Jr., Blanket and all the fans around the world who loved the king. It is so sad that Michael didn't get the respect he deserved. There were always low life morans like Bill O'Riley, Martin Bashir and rep. Peter King who always tried to tarnish his character. Can you imagine how many families survived because of him. How much he contributed to the world? He was a symbol of peace, unity and global citizenship.
    Michael will be alive in our memories never to die. RIP...........

July 8, 2009 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  25. Dennis 35 (Netherlands)

At first i would like to thank Mr.Michael Jackson for the beautifull music he made throughout the years ...A true genius!!! ....Thank you Michael !!... Thank you!!....Thank you!!!....Thank you..............

Also i would like to give my respect to the family and thank them for letting us take part of remebering him for who "..HE.." was and not what the media made of him .

Dear Mr.Michael Jackson I know you'll always be there...... but still you were gone to soon....

Love Dennis

July 8, 2009 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  26. NorCalLaurie

The magnificent MJ memorial has shown us that our nation and our world want LOVE and PEACE. We are so done with politicians who serve themselves. We are so done with nations led by greed. We all came together for MJ because, deep inside, we want CARING UNITY.

July 8, 2009 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  27. Scout

I was the first to respond and my comment is still awaiting moderation. Some kind of censorship, if you don't rally around the media flag they don't let you have your say. We are becoming more socialist every day. Did the rest of you who weren't enamored by all the hype get treated the same way? There is something fatally flawed with this country's controlling media. Look at the polls people! 59% could care less.

July 8, 2009 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  28. Doreen

i think Jackson deserves the airtime..... he spent all his energy to make us happy with his music.

July 8, 2009 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  29. Tracy

We have lost the "last" true symbol of America. We have lost someone that represents America, That is America. One of many True American Heros. Our last American Icon.
    I'm still hurting. I'm upset, I'm frustrated, I'm angry. I'm sad. I hope that expressing my feelings to those that truely Loved MJ will help. I hope to stop crying one day soon. I miss him. I feel like I have lost a brother. My heart aches with sadness.

July 8, 2009 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  30. Nanette

Michael Jackson is real news. You better recognize. Thats whats wrong now everyone is always judging. Some of us have done nothing to make the world a better place but some of us always have something to say. We judge but are we are not perfect, we are all flawed human beings who need to get off of our high horses. Some of us act like we never made mistakes or made bad decions give me a break already.

GOD BLESS YOU MICHAEL AND MAY YOU FINALLY REST IN PEACE

July 8, 2009 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  31. Ketka Zvarovzky

His music was his life in sounds. His moves created waves of feelings among everyone. His glory and fame had been earned after a life filled with pain and no private life.

We should have known that Michael Jackson is and forever will remain in his heart a child. Neverland was suppose to become a place for children to be happy, to gain the happiness that Michael had never knew in his childhood.

It's a sad thing we lost a man with such a great heart. But we can remember him as someone who cared about others. Michael's death is a shock to any fan and family member. But never forget that he will remain in our hearts. Even an average person should feel the same.

May he find the peace that he was looking for.

July 8, 2009 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  32. dahlia

I watched the whole memorial service of Michael Jackson 1am Manila time and until now i cant beleive that the King of Pop is Dead.....I may not be an avid fan of MJ but he will always in our hearts because of the songs that he compose that really happen to anyone of us...to you Michael Jackson may you rest in peace......

July 8, 2009 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  33. patrick

To me he will always live on..he was human and he did his best when he had the chance to..what should we do? because we still have the chance?

July 8, 2009 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  34. Linda

There will never be another like you,no one can fill your shoes,watching the memorial broke my heart ,especially when your beautiful daughter spoke.My prayers go out to all in mourning, especially your beautiful children,parents and siblings.R.I.P.Michael Jackson-The One and Only King of Pop,you will forever be missed.

July 8, 2009 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  35. Jo

oh yeah... if you're tired of the MJ story then stop reading the articles. We hear plenty about the war and all the other crap that goes on in this world. We've heard about it for years and will continue to hear about it for years to come. Go spend some time with your kids and quit crying about all the MJ news. It'll be over with soon enough.

When was the last time you spent quality time with your wife, mother, father or siblings? Do that while you're waiting on you war stories.

July 7, 2009 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Laurie, East Coast

My favorite moment of today's memorial would need to be all of it. Michael was such an amazing human being and he touched so many lives. I enjoyed listening to stories from people who knew him. I was moved to tears several times throughout the event, but the one that got me the most, was when they brought the casket out and the choir was singing. It was the moment I realized the icon I grew up with...was gone.

Losing Michael Jackson is like losing a part of your past. So many of us around the world were amazed by him. People dressed like him, danced like him (or tried to), sang like him...people wanted to be him or just be around him. I had every one of his posters, t-shirts, stickers...he was my idol. I wanted so bad to go to one of his concerts but could never afford to. Also, he never came to Maine. Today's celebration of his life almost felt like I was there, but I wasn't. Mr. Gordy said it best today, "Michael being known as the King of Pop doesn't seem fitting for he was and will continue to be the greatest entertainer of the world." That he was.

Michael Jackson shined brightly here on earth and he will undoubtedly be the brightest star in the heavens. I will always miss him, for even though I never knew him or met him, I felt like I had in some way. For he was a part of my youth, adolescence and adult life. I've listened to his music, watched his videos, read all the "rumors"...none of them I ever believed. He was a son, a brother, a father, a friend and above all, a human being just like the rest of us. May God watch over his children and keep them safe from harm. May the Lord give his mother the strength she needs to get through the passing days of her loss...may his brothers and sisters remember the love, the laughter and the tears...may they also be given the blessing of the Lord to carry on without their "superstar" brother. May the Lord take Michael into His arms and let him know he can now be "normal".

This is my goodbye to Michael....for I will carry you in my heart and mind...when I hear your music I will smile....and sometimes cry...I will know you are in a better place and I pray that maybe, just maybe, I will get the chance to meet you when the Lord calls for me.

Goodbye my dear friend, thank you for the memories & the music....

Laurie

July 7, 2009 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  37. anita

to the whole Jackson Family, it break my heart to lose someome like michael, and its also sad to see so many people celebrating his life. why couldn't celebrate him while he was living because all of the sweet words that has been spoken he can't hear them he can't see the wonderful people there i believe giving a person there flowers why they yet live. i will truly miss him it feel like i just lost a son. i loved his music i grew up on the jackson five. i live in a small town i wish i had the money i would love to meet the jackson family.may God Truly Bless and Keep You is my prayer now is the time to stick together as a family because thats what Michael would want for you.

July 7, 2009 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Misha Waite-Ergas

Mr. Michael Jackson- Although I shed tears of sorrow, my heart will glorify your many wondrous ways. Thank you, thank you for being all that you are, for being a part of my lifetime. xxoo

July 7, 2009 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Annette Chandler, Oxon Hill, Maryland

Michael Jackson had taken me through my baby booming years to my present day with an awesome talent of song & dance that would help me see and believe we as Black folks were actually overcoming the side effects of the brutality of slavery and beginning to develop our true identity as a culturally creative group of people without fear of judgment.

Michael Jackson would carry the message across the universe. MIchael has achieve eternal life and forever he will live.

I find it hard to believe and digest that Michael Jackson will no longer grace us with his physical present.

My Condolences to his Family and Friends.

Michael Jackson (MJ) you ROCKED THE WORLD ~ Rest ~N~ Peace!

July 7, 2009 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  40. melody cromer

I saw the entire ceremony today on CNN and I want to tell them they did an excellent job from begining to the end. They showed total respect and did not distrub the services in any way shape or form.I picked the right channel to watch.Thank You for this coverage it was the BEST!The BEST OF THE BEST! R.I.P. MIKE. You'll live on in history breaking all records and your accomplishments speak for the world.

July 7, 2009 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Belinda Jean

It is what it is. He made a difference. Now he has left us. Period. The world was better because he lived and shared his love. Bless his family – may his children "smile" as he would have wanted them too – even though their heart is breaking.

Love is all that matters.

July 7, 2009 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  42. melody cromer

I saw the entire ceremony today on CNN and I want to tell them they did an excellent job from begining to the end. They showed total respect and did not disturb the services in any way shape or form so I did pick the right channel to watch. Thank You all for this it was the best of the best and then some. R<I<PJ. You'll live on in history and will never be beat as far as I am concerned. We Are The WORLD!

July 7, 2009 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Tashea

Wow. I don't know what to say. I will miss you and you will always be in my heart. So many wonderful things to say about you; i just don't know where to start. so many people will the you in the entainment world. There will never be another MJ like you. The one and only Michael Jackson. In all my days of life i never got the chances to see you in person like at a concert but you pass away and i see you everywhere. The music world will never be the same. Your family and kids will miss you dearly and now you are at home with no pain, no sadness, no wrong, and no shame. God has you now. He knew what he was doing when you were born; he saw that you were in alot of pain and heart ace and he took you home. I cry because I am still here, in this world where people are killing and doing all kinds of things. But now i feel better knowing that you are up there watching over us and singing your heart out.
    To your family hold your heads up and don't cry. he's home with god and has no pain. I will pray for you all strength and understanding of what just happened over the last 1week.
    When God leads you to the edge of the cliff, trust him and LET GO, only 1 of 2 things will happen, either he'll catch you when you fall, or he'll teach you how to fly! " God is going to shift things around for you all and let things work in your favor. God closes doors no man can open & God opens doors no man can close. If you need God to open doors for you. .. trust in him and believe and he will make a way.

Love always
    Tashea

July 7, 2009 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Rita, Texas

It was a beautiful ceremony. Michael you're at peace now!!! we loved you very much but God loved you more.!! Our prayers are with the family, the children, and us the fans. Your music will live in us for ever. We will miss you as the greatest entertainer that ever lived and you will never be forgotten.

July 7, 2009 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  45. melody cromer

I send my reguards to M.J. and his family and friends plus all the fans.I felt Staples and the Jackson family really out did themselves andAl Sharpton was spoke for the rest of us along with Representive Jackson. I cried all day and there will never be another Michael Jackson. He deserved to be honored and he was. It was a service befitting a King and that is exactly what he is The King Of Pop. He is an ICON. He crossed all races and he was part of the people and the people were part of him. Peter King was disrespectful and I hope he gets sued for his behavior and lies. I think he deserves to be thrown out of Congress he is an embarrassment to this country and to those he is suppose to be speaking for. I don't believe the folks of New York were proud of his actions nor his behavior at a time when the whole world was grieving for the loose of M.J. He should be ashamed of himself.

July 7, 2009 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Varnaldo Valcin

My favorite M.J music is "Remenber the time" Cause i will never forgot the time hes spend to dance for us, to help childrens and the his dead. For me hes not dies and i will never forget him, my heart goes out for his family R.I.P Forever the king, we miss you so much Michael. I love you from the bottom of my heart peace.

July 7, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  47. bj

The Media is always in control as to what we see daily on our TV/Cable etc....We have Choices and you know what they are....Turn it off and or turn the channel...People can bury their pets in America but they can't bury a Special Son, an Icon, a Special Father, The greatest performer most of might not even know or see in another lifetime.
    This was a tribute to him......MJ......Believe and feel what you want. This is America but remember he was just a man who touch millions all over the world. How many 50 year old men can claim this fame. Will you still Care!
    Think People

July 7, 2009 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Betty Boop

A very strange dude!

July 7, 2009 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Ace247

MJ's memorial service really touched my heart. I too grew up listening to MJ's music and just listening to his music always takes me back through the years and I REMEMBER THE TIMES.......MJ's music from the 70s takes me back to my childhood days ........80s music takes me back to my high school years......I can still hear and see a vivid pic of my HS gym when I hear music from his OFF the WALL album........music from the 90s takes me back to the birth of my son. I shall always remember MJ and will miss him dearly........I NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE to MJ because he was to the best entertainer this world has ever known and his music will forever live in my heart. Thanks MJ!!!! MUCH LOVE FOR YOU.. ........RIP

July 7, 2009 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jeri Anozie

The memorial was so appropriate. The greatest moments were Gordy,the guitariest and singers and even though I hate caskets, that moment was a heart grabber . The entire memorial seemed to give back to the fans. The only thing i do not believe is that GOD took him! The adversary took him. He got tricked by the adversary like a lot of us do. Adversary is here to steal and to kill us. Now that I see his demeanor, I feel I could have said words to him that would changed his mind forever and he would be alive today. God wanted him to live as long as he desired and only sleep eternally when he was ready and not before. God is the creater, Michael was created by God and he used God's creation Great!

July 7, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  51. carolann

What a circus, not normal. I have never seen or ever want to
    see again such a ridiculous memorial. Paris should never
    have been put through that ordeal. MJ was a good entertainer
    in the 80,s after that he should have quit. CNN should be
    ashamed of that coverage. I feel that MJ lacked some
    respect from the whole farse. Let this man rest in peace.

July 7, 2009 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Amy

Regardless if you agree or not on how Michael Jackson lived his life, we should respect the fact that we just lost one of the greatest entertainers in the world and be thankful for all the years of music he gave us!!!

No One is Perfect!!

July 7, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Nicole Bishop

I have always been a TRUE fan of Michael Jackson. From putting his posters up on my wall to today, I've always been in awe of his talent but more so, of him. I've always seen him as a kind, giving, loving person; a philanthropist and a true humanitarian. It saddens me that it took so many people to see what I’ve always known. He, unlike some celebrities, not only would visit other countries or become ambassadors for certain causes, he engrossed himself in them. While he knew financially he was well off, he knew it would never be enough to help EVERYONE and I believe it consumed him. So by creating foundations such as We Are the World and Heal the World he tried enlist the help of others and pull people together to help. One person can’t do everything but everyone can do something. He didn't just concentrate on problems in other countries, he was just as concerned and involved in the trying times in the U.S. as well. This was evident in how he would open the doors to his own home to children and their families on a frequent basis. How many other "concerned" celebrities can say they've done that. He was no more strange than any other celebrity out there getting nose jobs, countless breast implants, Botox injections, ribs removed and altering their faces to look like Barbie. It is a shame that we live in a society where people with celebrity and fortune constantly have to look over their shoulder and are unable to trust anyone for fear that someone will always want something from them and when they say no, the requestor gets mad and comes up with lies in an attempt to get what they want anyway, even at the expense of using their own children as bate. For all of you who believe that MJ would ever hurt a child, tell me, if it were your child that was hurt, would you accept a payoff or would you want to see that person dead? Would you accept an acquittal or would you fight to your death to ensure the person paid for what they did? Seems to me that’s what a real parent would do and in the cases of Michael Jackson, he was just a trusting soul and people took advantage of him. I pray that he was saved and came to know the Lord and had a relationship with him. In my heart I believe he did and he is with God right now finally truly happy and at peace. May God bless and continue to watch over his children and all of his family. I will miss you dearly Michael. I love you always.

July 7, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Nicole

I've been watching CNN since 9AM EST and I still can't believe that Michael Jackson is gone. He's been such a wonderful pressense in this world. He will be greatly missed by the world. He was a one of a kind artist and humanitarian. He was also a wonderful man and father. I hope that Michael's children know how much their father was loved and how much he will be missed.

RIP Michael. Please know you touched many lives and the world is sadden by your loss.

July 7, 2009 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Brenda

The entire MJ Memorial Service was done with dignity and style. It couldn't have been done any better. Every moment was great. RIP MJ and may God bless the family.

July 7, 2009 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Kamini

Micheal Jackson was a human with feelings that deserved a chance at life to live it how ever he wanted to, it saddens me that it takes his death for him to receive the respect that is well over due. Micheal was perfect in his own way and was unique and special in every way. Micheal Jackson deserved a chance to live his life with his family and friends to celebrate how far he has come and was and what an extraordinary job he has done of being an entertainer, his creativity, his music, and accomplishments. Michael Jackson was asking for approval, to be accepted, and not to be judged by many. his sensitivity and kindness was taken for granted all because he was different. This world could have learned a thing or two from him on what being human is. Michael Jackson is a lot more than th"King of Pop". Michael will always live in a lot of peoples hearts around the world. for his music, kindness, love, and continued generosity for people throughout the world in need. The memorial today with as many family,friends, & fans that attended shows how much he was loved. Now that Michael Jackson is at ease; he should only be remembered for the love he expressed for us through the words of his music. we lost a human throughly special but God has gained an Angel which i hope one day that Michael Jackson is my angel looking over me. "MICHAEL JACKSON WILL BE APART OF US FOREVER AND WILL LIVE FOREVER THROUGH HIS MUSIC". YOU ARE TRULY MISSED!!!!

July 7, 2009 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Veronica

Today, many of us said goodbye to a part of our childhood. Thanks to CNN, the producers, speakers, singers and most of all the Jackson Family. The memorial service was a blessing. I pray that God will grant the Jackson Family and the people that were close to Michael the strength to "smile" and accept what God has willed even though their hearts are truly aching. I also pray that the media will give this family the respect and privacy that they will need for the days, months and years ahead.

July 7, 2009 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Annie1953

This memorial for a man the likes of Michael Jackson can never be enough. The icon of Micheal that we have come to know deserves our respect. Michael you have shown a great many of us that a gifted person can indeed make a difference. Your songs and dances and your unique knowledge of our art was a stunning gift to the world. I pray for you Michael, that you are in God's arms feeling the confort and warmth and caring that you so much desired here. You were very much misunderstood here, some never bothered to see past the costumes. So, let me be the first to say Thank You Michael, for allowing us into your life of song and dance. You gave back so much to the world as well. You are the ulimate ambassador to the world and we shall never, ever forget you. Annie

July 7, 2009 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Kamini Richards

Micheal Jackson was a human with feelings that deserved a chance at life to live it how ever he wanted to, it saddens me that it takes his death for him to receive the respect that is well over due. Micheal was perfect in his own way and was unique and special in every way. Micheal Jacksondeserved a chance to live his life with his family and friends to celebrate how far he has come and was and what an extraordinary job he has done of being an entertainer, his creativity, his music, and accomplishments. Michael Jackson was asking for approval, to be accepted, and not to be judged by many. his sensitivity and kindness was taken for granted all because he was different. This world could have learned a thing or two from him on what being human is. Michael Jackson is a lot more than th"King of Pop". Michael will always live in a lot of peoples hearts around the world. for his music, kindness, love, and continued generosity for people throughout the world in need. The memorial today with as many family,friends, & fans that attended shows how much he was loved. Now that Michael Jackson is at ease; he should only be remembered for the love he expressed for us through the words of his music. we lost a human throughly special but God has gained an Angel which i hope one day that Michael Jackson is my angel looking over me. "MICHAEL JACKSON WILL BE APART OF US FOREVER AND WILL LIVE FOREVER THROUGH HIS MUSIC". YOU ARE TRULY MISSED!!!!

July 7, 2009 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  60. lisa

I can't remember listening to music that didn't involve Michael Jackson. He has been my most loved artist. He had a true innocense about him that few really understood. Did he make some poor choices? Yes, he did. His reality did not hold perversion like our world does' and for this he paid dearly. Michael Jackson will never be replaced in any way shape or form. He was not only "The King of Pop" he was also a man who had such an innocense about him that very few could wrap their brains around something so unique. I think he did more from his heart than his music will ever do. Music will go on and on but the heart of Michael Jackson will be no more. We have lost a soul that loved mankind and wanted to make a difference. He could have been selfish with all he had but instead he shared it with the world, even when the world shut him out. Michael fought the good fight but it was time for him to see the ultimate opening performance, "The Golden Gates of Heaven". Michael, you have arrived!

July 7, 2009 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Fondly Remembering the Time

Today's memorial moved me much more than I thought I could be moved. Two moments made me teary-eyed: The singing of "We Are the World" and Paris Jackson's loving, tearful words of love to her father.
    Two wonderful highlights: Mariah Carey and Trey Lorenz singing "I'll Be There" and John Mayer's playing of "Human Nature."
    And two surprises: The very strong and persuasive words of Rep. Sheila E. Lee and the Rev. Al Sharpton. I was never quite sure whether Michael indeed committed the acts he was accused of, but now more firmly believe than only his creator can judge him - especially in light of the fact that he was never convicted by a jury of his peers.
    Michael wasn't a saint, but then who among us is?
    He made wonderful music that defined my childhood, adolescence and young adulthood.
    May his creator be with him always and may his soul rest in peace.

July 7, 2009 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Lisa

Thank you cnn for the great coverage of Micheal Jackons Memorial. For the fans that could not attend. Who loved him daily, Who didn't find it hard to see the beauitful man in Micheal Jackson. Thank You , CNN

July 7, 2009 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Michael

I am disgusted that the city of Los Angeles has the guts to "beg" for money to pay for the extra security. Where do they think that the 10s of thousands of people that flooded into the city are going to stay and eat. What does the city think that they are going to do once they are in L.A. for the remainder of the week.

Good bye Michael. The world lost an amazing talent last week. Heaven gained some quality entertainment.

July 7, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Brenda - Savannah

It took more than many people realize for Paris to speak at her Daddy's funeral. She put her hand up to her neck when Aunt Janet gently brushed back her hair because the child has lived her life behind a veil. For her to speak publicly "shouts" how important it was for her to say what she said. Michael was a great Daddy.

July 7, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Kathy S.

We in Canada loved Michael. I watched the memorial and cried through most of it. It made it final. Real. We will no longer see Michael. My heart aches for his children. I am confused, like with Elvis, why not one person could not find the strength to break the circle to support him in his emotional challenges to help keep him with us or why he could not extend his hand to reach out and ask for help. He deserved it.

July 7, 2009 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Nm mom

This was an amazing memorial, it brought his funeral to us all. I am so glad that the media stations brought this into our homes. He is the greatest entertainer the world has ever known, and a true humanitarian. For those who complain, they don't get it, and they never well because they are shallow little people. I am sure that many of the soldiers defending our country are as saddened as the rest of us, and have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy the music he has brought into all of our lives. I would much rather have had the news on the MJ memorial and than any more news on Sarah Palin who really hasn't done much but made our country look bad in the eyes of the rest of the world, whereas Michael Jackson was a shining star from America to the rest of the world. Michael never hurt a child, but had to endure the lies of those who wanted to gain financially from him by using their own children to obtain their malicious goals. And from those haters who want to make ugly comments, you are all very little people who are jealous that you could never gain the success and love of the world that he obtained.

July 7, 2009 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Zach Schiff

I am sick to death of all the coverage of Michael Jackson. I have vivid memories of listening to "Dangerous" while I was in fourth grade living in San Antonio, but I also have vivid memories of the trial of Michael Jackson too. I know that his contribution to the world of music is monumential, but I think it's being a bit over blown, just like swine flu was! I think that more coverage needs to be dedicated to Farrah Fawcett, who documenmented her battle with cancer. I think that she has equally contributed to exposing the harshness of cancer and more attention needs to be paid to her for bring that to light.

July 7, 2009 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  68. amanda/arkansas

a day of sorrow but a lifetime of mj music!!!!!!!!!!

July 7, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Jo Ann

I have been following the coverage on Michael Jackson since his passing. It so unfortunate to loose one of the greatest, most talented entertainers of all times. I feel like I have lost a part of my youth. Like many, I grew up on Michael Jackson. He represented real music. The music we have today does not compare to the hits Michael had. I only wish Michael would have known how much people really loved him. It's unfortunate that he was ridiculed by the press and the people. That would be hard for anyone to want to live with such horrible things being said against you. I hope he found happiness in his short life. I believe he was a gentle soul that was often misunderstood. RIP MJ. There will never be another Michael Jackson. Thank you for entertaining us for all these years!!

July 7, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Kerry

I'm so sick of the 24/7 coverage. OK, he's dead. I'm actually surprised he lived that long for all the abuses he did to his face and body. I just wish the media stopped talking about him.

July 7, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  71. paula lappi

The most extraordinary artist and human beings that will ever be on our planet for all time. No one musically will ever touch him. It is truly a sad day and a beautiful memorial.

July 7, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Veronica

Michael Jackson deserved every bit of attention he received, and more. In this world when everyone is selfish and only think of themselves it is sad that we have lost an angel who tried to save the world. I am sure that he is now singing with angels. He will be missed but never forgotten!! I hope that some day his kids realize the magnitude of his contributions to the world.

July 7, 2009 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Chris

The tragic loss of a son is one that any family would find difficult to manage. Condolances to them, and to the children of Michael Jackson.

However, the carnival atmosphere leading up to the memorial service; the crowds of people lined up to partake in this Hollywood spectacle; and the media's never-ending coverage of events preceding his demise border on the garish.

Michael Jackson, the consumate entertainer, continued to do so even after death.

July 7, 2009 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  74. cindy

Thought it was borderline inappropriate that Jackson's children attended this large public memorial. They're pretty young. It was flat out bad judgement to have them up on stage with a microphone in the oldest daughter's face. Poor things. Just lost their Dad and now everybody knows what they look like. They're really in for a rude and untimely awakening vis a vie the paparazzi. Bummer.

July 7, 2009 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Annie Abernathy

I was 11yrs old when I notice the Jackson 5 and that was the best time of the Abernathy Family of 6 boys and 3 girls and my mom who loved the Jackson in 4of my brother are with M.J. in heaven.When Rev. Sharpten said that remark to his family and children that Michael was not weird it was the world that was weird He was so right the statement of the year!To the Jackson forever in our hearts Abernathy Family!Be Blessed in know that no one can ever bother Michael again!Remember GOD has favor over your family and his childen.GOD BLESS!Tear will never stop!

July 7, 2009 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Ken (CA)

I don't believe a President would have received so much attention after death...I'm sorry he's gone but let's move on now!

July 7, 2009 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Jon

why poeple would grieve over the death of a child molester and remembrance of a pervert???? we should remember the men and women in the front line fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan that devoted and dedicated their lives for our FREEDOM

July 7, 2009 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Claudia Anderson

The Memorial service for Michael Joseph Jackson was such a beautiful way for me and the public to share our respect, appreciation, and dignify the "King of Pop". Michael Jackson was well loved and cherished by so many fans throughout the world...
    Thanks to the Jackson’s family who throughout the years have been very private, for allowing us, the public and fans to share in this monument for Michael (M.J). This was an emotional day for me as well…it hurt my heart to watch Paris, his daughter crying…I just sat and cried myself as I watch the service…

To the Jackson's family, especially the children…your son, brother, uncle, and father is not gone...he will forever be with you in spirit, also through his music, and the world...We all loved him and will definitely miss him. Please continue to be there for each other throughout this time of mourning and always for Michael's children. May God continue to bless the Jackson's family and Michael's children.

Michael Joseph Jackson, “Farewell, Good night and may your soul Rest in Peace (R.I.P) until we meet again”. I hope the public will respect the dead and remember him mostly for his great achievements in music and especially helping a great population of people in various age categories in the world financially, spiritually, and emotionally throughout his life.

My family and I love you Michael Jackson!

Michael Joseph Jackson, “Farewell, Good night and may your soul Rest in Peace (R.I.P) until we meet again”. I hope the public will respect the dead and remember him mostly for his great achievements and accomplishments throughout his life.

July 7, 2009 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Julia Taylor

A historic day as we say goodbye to one of the greatest recording artists and entertainers who ever graced this planet …. the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. I would like to dedicate " UNITY ", a beautiful song by Kelly Rowland, to all Michael Jackson fans throughout the world. " UNITY ” is a song about eternal love, loss, hope and faith and truly captures the emotions of today’s event – " Two hearts forever "

July 7, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Gary Jaussaud

Gary's comment is:

Michael Jackson's family and friends have every right to give him a
    memorial and talk about his life. Every American needs to remember
    and have a memorial for those men and women that died to keep this
    country free so people like Michael Jackson can make the music and
    live the life he lived, no matter if we agree with it or not.

July 7, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Terry

How many times will Paris be exploited on television and radio with her talking about her dad? I'm sure the media is gonna milk that moment for all it's worth. I do feel bad for the kids and leave them the hell alone!! I'm curious how many people will do a cover story on a child of a soldier who has died and won't come home anymore? Probably none, that would be bad publicity, bad for the war, we can't have that. So we're just going to shove them under the rug and pretend they don't exist.

July 7, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Eudora Olsen

We are a selfish people. We wanted more from Michael Jackson than we deserved; yet he was willing and gave us everything that he had, and all that he was ... and more.

July 7, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Mark

He was obviously a talented entertain but we will always wonder about the Michael Jackson we didn't really know. My heart goes out to his children and family

July 7, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Linda

I think his memorial service leaves us, the public, with a very different picture of the man that the media portrayed. When Rev. Al Sharpton said to Michael's children that it wasn't their father that was strange, it was what their father had to deal with that was strange truly resonates to me now that he is gone. The media are particularly cruel to the super-famous – – these people who have this special, magical something that propels them into stardom, and into the darkness that comes with this type of fame. Celebrating that person who we didn't know does not take away from the men and women who are defending our country overseas. Remember it is the media that covers these stories . . . and maybe focusing on the human side of this now dead man is more palatable than showing the body bags coming from Iraq or Afghanistan. Either way, both matter in our American culture

July 7, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Henri Jenson

I am glad Michael Jackson is finally burried... we'll finally get real news. One question remains, though, and it is a thorny one. Would any of the guests and performers would have left any of their young children in the custody of Michael Jackson for 24 hours?

If the answer is NO, why?

July 7, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  86. christine

All week I was secretly hoping this was a horrible practical joke and was going to pretend I was angry when he revealed himself giggling but, when I saw the casket ...I came to that place I had been avoiding all week but nothing finished off the reality of this week more than hearing a beautiful little 11 year old girl call my Michael Jackson "daddy". I still don't fully understand how and the exact moment in my life when MJ grew so embedded in my soul, I suppose I was about 5 years old?... but I know this/he is a gift God allows us to keep even if in our hearts.

July 7, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  87. jack

Great musician but certainly not a shining example for all children including his?? Overplayed.

July 7, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  88. ab

I think we had a star here in the 80,s . But became nothing but a Wacko for the last two decades. And for anyone to claim he is as big a Star as Elvis ,We will have to wait 32 years from now to see if his name is still making 52 Million a year,as Elvis is. So Long Wacko Jacko.

July 7, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Mathew

I have never seen one who lived on this earth so loved around the world in our lifetime like Michael. The coverage and love around the world is phenomenal. No president or congress person has had this much coverage which goes to show the power of a true king which he has done inspite of those who call him bad names to bring him down. Michael has overcome the odds even in his death as he did in life and his life is celebrated all over the world no matter what the haters say or do.
    Thank you Michael for what you have given to us. Elvis and Sinatra would be red with jelousy.

July 7, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Todd

A great entertainer, but a sad, confused and morally questionable life. Many great entertainers have had controversial life styles, but I find it hard to forgive his pedophilia.

July 7, 2009 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  91. denise bennett

That was the best momorial I have every seen. We love you M.J.
    may you rest in peace.

Denise

July 7, 2009 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Deb

Michael is in a 'league' of his own...there will never be another that can match his music nor his style! Today, despite the not so positive news etc., people lifted Michael up...he was given every tenderness and lovingness due him. His memory, his music will be timeless. I'll forever remember his smile, softness...and his WILD side when he was doing HIS THING! Today, I and the world, witnessed a remarkable tribute to the King of Pop. This was his, This Is It concert, he was there, we were there. He continues to mesmerize us, and we forever will LOVE him. Never Can Say Goodbye...only, until next time Michael. Praying heaven holds your spirit!

July 7, 2009 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Texan

I think that with 8 American Soldiers getting killed in the war in Afghanistan yesterday, it is ridiculous that they did not even get so much as a headline, because of this extensive coverage. Last weekend was the 4th of July, and we should stay focused on what's really important.

July 7, 2009 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Lisa

If this many people would show up to protest, support legislation, watch the debates, or vote maybe our country would be in a better place!

I can understand on the day of his death, yes it was shocking, but think its about time we get back to the real news!

July 7, 2009 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Cindi

The memorial was beautiful...but.....why would L.A. fork out millions of dollars when the city can't pay their bills and the city is laying off thousands of employees? Was this really practical?

July 7, 2009 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Judy

When I stepped off the train in 1983 at a little station in Portugal, Michael Jackson's "Beat It" was playing on the loudspeaker. He is a worldwide phenomenon, and his talent/music will be missed. I thought the memorial service was tasteful and touching.

July 7, 2009 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Marsha

I cannot believe that CNN covered this "event". Can you imagine having a family service and then loading the poor soul back into a hearse and parading it around town for gawkers to view?

What is wrong with the press and a large portion of this country?

It truly reflects how far the United States has fallen in prestige, esteem and honor.

So sad.

July 7, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Mustafa Abdille

The service was amazing. Although it was heartwarming to see the many people who Michael Jackson had inspired speak about their memories and pay their respects to the King, You could tell how hard this was for the Family. His daughter speaking was the most painful thing to watch....I believe this is the time now to let the king rest in peace, I simply ask that the media stop reporting about his problems and let the family deal with the death privately. Michael and His Family have been in the public eye since he was 5, don't you guys thinks its time to respect the wishes of the family and let the negative stories go...

July 7, 2009 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  99. soosie

Oh for Pete's sake, get over it! There are so many more important things in life to be thinking about these days. I've had enough of the Michael Jackson coverage.

I think it is obscene that the city of LA has to pay for all these extra policemen, firemen, trained dogs and handlers, SWAT teams etc etc. Let the family pay for this. I don't live in the city but I think it's horrible that the people there have to pay for this funeral!!!

July 7, 2009 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  100. eana1

(Comment RE: Michael Jackson's memorial service)

When Usher instinctively made his way down to lovingly lay his hand on Michael's casket while singing "Gone Too Soon", he may have thought he was just doing it for himself. But he actually did it for all of Michael's fans around the entire world, as well. And we thank him from the bottom of our hearts.

Eana
    Greensboro NC

July 7, 2009 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Angela Riccio, NJ

Will someone please inform your commentators that a "Repast" is not an African-American Tradition. It is an old french word c.1300 which means food eaten or to provide food. The tradition of breaking bread or sharing a meal with the bereaved crosses all ethnicities and religions.

July 7, 2009 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  102. David B

It was an incredible tribute to the King of Pop. When I think about it, Michael Jackson has been famous for my whole life. He has ruled the charts and touched millions through his music and charity. It was only fitting that this kind and gentle soul be acknowledged and celebrated in one of the touching public ceremonies that I have ever seen. I shed a tear, (more like hundreds), and I am not ashamed to say I did. He was like a family member. His music, the soundtrack for a generation. From ROCK to RAP, Michael has left his mark on all of us. God Bless him and his family.

As a footnote, wouldn't it be a good idea to make the ceremony into a DVD and sell it and pay Los Angeles back for the expenses of the tribute?

July 7, 2009 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  103. paula g

Gone Too Soon
    The highlights of Mr Jackson's memorial showed it to be a respectful and dignified memorial. However, we all need to remember that Mr. Jackson was a muscial artist and a mortal being. From the day that Mr. Jackson died to this day of his memorial the American press has presented non-stop coverage of his life. But, also during that time, 6 of our young soldiers have died in Afghanistan. We do not know their names, their accomplishments, their background, their families and who they left behind. They are "Gone too Soon" as well and they died serving our country. The American press needs to stop "glorifying" our entertainment people as greater than those who serve our country in the most honorable ways.

July 7, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Margo H

MJ thank you for giving a voice to all those who have been silenced by poverty. Your music will remain the heartbeat of this planet. From refugee camps to orphanages – people will continue to sing and dance until this planet heals.

July 7, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Nonyem Okolo

Since Michael died it just never seemed real to me despite what I would hear and see... until today. I saw his coffin and it just hit me he is gone. The tears started then fell when I listened to Brook Shields and then became unbearable when his daughter broke down.. the dam broke and the tears fell with the realization that we will never see or hear him live ever again.

Michael is and was a legend one that appears once in a life time. He was magic. He was a gentle sensitive soul who gave maybe too much and we in of our voraciousness took everything and still were not satisfied. May he finally find peace.

July 7, 2009 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Vicky

I am from Maine. I have closely watched from the day MJ died, all the news media on him. I realize he was an amazing person. I think he is kind, loving and generous to all. I feel like in Maine i'm mourning the loss of him alone. No one around me feels the way I do about MJ. Is there anyone in Maine who feels like I do. I just feel so sad about the loss of MJ. I grew up with his music and always exercised to it. What a loss. He will be greatly missed by me and many others.

July 7, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Walter Wilson

I'll always remember the passing of the King Of Pop as the day CNN lost it's journalistic integrity.

I'm now convinced that we should all just ignore the real World, rename CNN to CMN and focus all of our remaining energy on the most important figure since Jesus Christ....... I'll take that back, he's far more important than Jesus Christ.

I for one also think, in the interest of time, we should get out the chisels and evict Lincoln from his marble memorial and install an eighteen foot tall Michael Jackson in his place and replace the Gettysburg Address with Beat It.

July 7, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Donetta

May Michael rest in peace. Hopefully the press will leave his family alone and let them mourn his death, and celebrate his life. He was a great performer to us, but we need to remember that he was a father, son, brother,and close friend to others.
    A forever fan......

July 7, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Harold Jones

What a beautiful ceremony. A fitting sendoff for the greatest entertainer who ever lived.

...and just a note....For all of you who think MJ invented the moonwalk, it"s not true. A guy by the name of Jeffrey Daniels of the group Shalamar taught Michael the moonwalk.

July 7, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Terry

I cried the entire time of the service it was very touching. People need to realize that Michael Jackson was a man, he was human. I was so happy to see that so many people respected and honored him. I feel for his mother, she has so much strenght. I want to thank Mr and Mrs Jackson for sharing their son with the world. He will be greatly miss, in spite of. The world has truly lost a great man.

July 7, 2009 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  111. John

Who cares already! Jackson gets headlines on CNN and real American heroes who are defending our country and dying for our freedom get second billing. Get real America!!

July 7, 2009 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • ativan

Hello, this weekend is good in support of me,
      because this point in time i am reading this enormous
      informative piece of writing here at my house.

August 17, 2013 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  112. Marianne Morissette

I'm blessed to have lived during the lifetime of Michael Jackson. He's now feeling total peace & freedom, singing & dancing with angels; he's teaching them new dance moves & new songs, probably about saving our planet. God Bless you & Rest In Peace Michael!

July 7, 2009 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Glenn, West Palm Beach, Fl

It was such a beautiful ceremony and what they can do in such a few days. The performances were unreal, Usher, Jennifer Hudson and We are the World and heel the World, but when Paris made her statement, well that was the icing on the cake, it just blew me away and then I really cried. Michael will be remembered for ever and his 3 kids have a lot to be proud of.

July 7, 2009 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  114. MDM

was very moved by the memorial service given to the Greatest Enertainer of All Time (as Berry Gordy referred to him). It still hadn’t set in that he has actually passed. He was bigger than life. I cried and cried throughout the service. It was very moving and very tastefully done. We love you, Michael. Even though it wasn’t shown like it should have been, we love you very much, and we will miss you always. Peace.

July 7, 2009 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  115. John Jones

All I could think of the entire event was how are the California taxpayers on the hook for this spectacle when our state government is bankrupt and our children have so little funds for their education. I am embarrassed for America.

July 7, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Judy Meehan

I think that the African American community or just the community needs a better role model. Why this ostentatious memorial? Was he a diplomat of outstanding performance? Was he the President of the U.S? Was he an outstanding physician or civil servant? No, he had a God given talent interrupted by human failings just like everyone else. No one could dispute his talent but how has his death turned into such a tail spin? Let's have proper respect for the dead not ridiculous adulation. It is no wonder other countries look at us so strangely.

July 7, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Jeff Schiller

I think that the extent of the coverage was way out of proportion to its importance in the big picture. Covering the "memorial service" itself was good. But dedicating a full 12 hours to it, was not. There was nary a mention – from 6AM through 6PM on CNN regarding the potentially historic nature of what's happening with US-Russia relations. What a shame that my favorite news channel has gone tabloid.

July 7, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  118. SUSIE BABER

I am forever greatful to first The Jackson Family and second CNN for allowing those of us who are deeply mourning Michael's sudden death. I sat in front of the televison and felt like I was "there" in the staples center. Tears poured down my face as I listened to the hearfelt stories and songs attributing our "KING OF POP"...Michael Jackson. I was moved, touched and overwhelmed at the "Memorial Service". I was able to share in the closure of remembering Michael Jackson who I as a 47 year old caucasion female grew up with and went to Miami and Jacksonville Victory tour concerts and the rest is history. I am saddened of his sudden death however, joyful of his new "Great Big House " in the sky. I look forward to meeting him someday...God Bless You Michael...You're calling was more than fulfilled here on earth and I thank you...God Bless Sincerely Susie Q Baber

July 7, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Suzanne Dzikowski

I was 5 yrs old when Michael sung Ill be there on tv needless to say I grew up with the Jacksons. Today Memorial was just that a beautifull, touching goodbye to a special man, father, preformer, and first and foremost FATHER! From his daughters compassion for her dad you can tell he was a good one.I felt as if I was in the front row saying goodbye to a near dear talented good friend. This was done with class, taste, and alot of love from friends,fans, and family. He will be missed, but his music will live on over the decades, and thru his children, god bless Michieal and his family,May he rest in peace.Suzi, Detroit,Mi.

July 7, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  120. MJB

It's hard to say goodbye. I'm 1 year and 9 months older than Michael Jackson so I grew up with the Jackson 5 & Michael. I can't believe he's gone. The song by Usher "Gone too soon" is how I feel.

July 7, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Sherry

I can't stop crying. It's hard to believe he's gone. He had so much more to give to the world. I will truely miss him.

July 7, 2009 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Mike Senica

Very well said....What a truly remarkable entertainer he was....Elvis, Sinatra, Pavarotti and Michael are true icons in the music industry.

July 7, 2009 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Jane Lewis

Michael Jackson has rocked my world for over 40 years..... I will miss what was to be......... but his music will go on in my heart forever.

July 7, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Nithya

I'm 14 years old, I remember when my mom would play his videos and I'd listen to "Thriller" all the time on his mixtapes. It just never occured to me how great this man is. Just recently I've heard many accusations against him and it was hard for me to finally realize that this man is the REAL King of Pop. He'll never be alive again, his music makes people happy, all over the world. Now I guess I will be listening to more of his songs in these upcoming years.

July 7, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Patti

It was a very sad and touching memorial. His children are precious and look very close to Janet Jackson.

I truly believe they said goodbye last night and his remains were cremated, probably sometime in the middle of the night. Then they all went back today to pick up the ashes. The casket may have contained his ashes in an urn or it may have been empty. No family members touched the casket like if he was in there. Then they took out the urn/ashes at Staples Center and the hearse has an empty casket in it..that's why there is no rush. The urn will either be emtombed at Neverland or somewhere else, as they can't bury a body there, but they can have his ashes there and a memorial.

Pat Atlanta, GA