July 6th, 2009

Fans pick up memorial tickets

michael jackson memorial tickets

Excitement abounded on Monday in Los Angeles as the winners of the "golden tickets" - the passes to attend Michael Jackson's memorial at the Staples Center - made their way to Dodger Stadium, where the ducats are being distributed.

Word trickled out that traffic was heavy leading to the stadium, as the chosen few sought the magical wristbands that will allow them access to one of the biggest events of the year.

On social networking sites, however, all was not golden. While fans who received the tickets were excited, there were many who expressed their disappointment at not making the cut.

Still no word on when or where the actual private funeral for Jackson will be held.

Lisa Respers France, CNN.com Writer

1. Wow

For real, the congressman is a disgrace and he is looking for cheap fame. I understand if you don't like MJ, but to accuse him of something that you have no evidence about is absolutely wrong. And to say 'there was nothing good about this guy' means you are narrow minded. Has this man given as much as MJ did to charity? Has he inspried so many people of his race to believe in themselves? When he dies will he will 20% of everything he owns to charities? Will he be in the guinness book of records for being the celebrity who has given the most? BTW I would leave my kids with MJ because I never bought into those hogwash stories. Maybe because he is white, he does not understand how much of an influence MJ was to lot of black people and minorities in general and into to some whit people as well.

July 7, 2009 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. Donna Conter

I believe all this procedure to get tickets was a decoy to keep people away from the actual burial at Forest Lawn today, Monday.

July 7, 2009 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. stacy

dee, it would of been wrong if they did infact give out tickets according to zip code, however, their were hundereds given to people as far as the UK, and those people knowing they could not or would not make it, registered anyway and then attempted to sell the voucher on ebay. I saw tickets sale for $5000 for one ticket today from poeple who live in the UK, NY, Florida, you name it. and to top it off those tickets are probably going to waste. its sucks, im sorry you didnt get tickets, niether did i and I'm only 4 hrs from the staples center, I dont work tommorrow and i had a babysitter... it sucks, i know....

July 6, 2009 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. stacy

I can not believe all the people who registered for tickets for financial gain. There are heart broken fans out there such as myself who had the time and transportation to not only attend the memorial but could make it to dodger stadium today to redeem their voucher. Fans all over the world applied for tickets knowing they coud not attend, but had plans of selling them on ebay. I watched hundreds of people attempt to sell their tickets and vouchers online for thousands all day today, and so many will go to waste because most of them could not pick up the tickets today or can not make it to l.a. tommorrow, this is so unfair, I have family in other states who would have love to go because of short notice and transportion , not to mention distance so they had the common sense not to register for tickets when they knew they could not attend. So many seats seem like they will be going to waste because of people who could not sell them in time, got greedy, and or didnt follow the rules. This is sad, this is not a concert, its a memorial (in other words a funeral) but for alot of people and i do mean alot it is a financial gain, makeing money off michaels death makes me sick, does anyone else feel this way? why did they do things this way to begin with? why didnt they do things the old fashion way by giving everyone a week notice at least and give out wristbands to first come first serve in person. those who sit in line for a week straight to get a ticket deserve it.

July 6, 2009 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nicole Sirote

I live in the Los Angeles area and DID NOT win tickets, so that is untrue that all LA residents got tickets! Some guy from Buffalo, NY won, so no that isn't 100% true. It was random from a computer system and if you think about it, even though everyone from around the world applied for tickets, many Los Angeles residents already live here, so they wouldn't have to pay exorbitant fees to get a plane ticket and hotel to attend the service.....so.... I think the system was fair, so fair that I didn't receive tix and I live here....

Los Angeles resident ( without tix)

July 6, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lisa

Ya and they think they deserve to be classed with real MJ fans, mmm never..They should be reported and then be made give thier $ made off the suffering of Michael to Michaels Heal the World Foundation!

July 6, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jennifer

Dee, there have been IL residents complaining to local news that they can't get to LA to claim tickets they were awarded so I don't think that is correct.

July 6, 2009 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lori fulton

Jane,
    I just looked at ebay at 6:51pm central 7/6/09 and ebay has michael jackson memorial tickets for sale or bid........sickening!

July 6, 2009 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brenda Smither

I do not understand how any member of the American government can put down a fellow American.
    Michael Jackson was a Icon and given the title of King of Pop from
    a world wide span of fans.
    He was also open for any type of ridicule as well as subject to
    being falsely aquised by parents of a crime he did not commit just
    to line their pockets.
    Everyone wants their 5 minutes of fame, and that also goes for
    the congressman as well.
    Michael Jackson deserves this he has earn it.

July 6, 2009 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dee

It seems that ALL or MOST of the winning tickets (reported so far) for Michael Jackson’s memorial were awarded to LA or California residents?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it curious when the on-line registration info included a zip code........is my assumption correct??????????????????????????????????????????????? Obviously, being in Arizona, it didn’t even allow me an opportunity to win.....people do TRAVEL to these events and it’s sad that we may have never been given the opportunity or consideration to WIN because of our ZIP CODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

July 6, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. susan clark

It is quite possible to recognize the contributions and loss of a significant figure without the circus CNN has made of Jackson's death. I'm a 4-hour-a-day news viewer, a music lover and a mother who remembers her three-year-old son thrilling to Thriller when it was almost new. But I won't be watching CNN much in the future, and that's a definite. I'm dismayed that your producers have judged almost non-stop coverage, complete with speculation, hype, and days worth of free advertising for Jackson's producers, to be a good journalistic call. And that your anchors, etc. have gone along.

As far as I know, only David Gergen had the good sense to comment negatively on your call.

You've given short shrift to Jackson's admitted practice of including 13 year-old boys in his own bed, his nasty gestures on live TV, and, again by going ga-ga with coverage, you do nothing but glorify the abuse of prescriptions which seem to be a part of the life of so many of the rich and famous. And how 'bout self-mutilation, huh? Let's glorify that, too, for all our vulnerable young.

I hope Wolf Blitzer's absence last week was scheduled at the last minute, simply as a way to avoid participating in this frenzy.

Meanwhile, American soldiers have made a major offensive in Afghanistan, a huge health care fight is at hand in this country, etc., etc., etc.

Count me disgusted, not by Jackson, but by CNN.

July 6, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. rgreen

I just saw a clip of Rep Pete King on cnn.com and was actually appalled by his comments. He called Michael Jackson a pervert and a pedophile! Michael was neither and was cleared of the charges of which he was accused. Last week only one radio personality reported that the individual who accused Michael of molesting him finally has stated that Michael never touched him. I don't see any of the media being so quick to report that! Why did this young man tell such a hurtful lie? Did his family put him up to it? Was it for the money? Michael Jackson did his best to try to make a difference in the lives of poor and /or underprivileged as well as disabled/handicapped children (by having a special area for them at Neverland). Most of them that visited Neverland probably would never have been able to enjoy a theme park otherwise. Mr. King can keep his comments to himself. People still worship Elvis Presley and I didn't hear a lot of negativity surrounding that. Michael Jackson's fan have a right to remember him in the way they chose. If you're not a fan so be it, but keep your negative comments to yourself!! No matter what anyone says there will never be another entertainer as great as Michael Jackson.

July 6, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. baffled in ohio

This whole scenerio leaves me to wonder if the world has totally gone insane! It is bad enough this man went through what he did as a child, then it apparently affected his mental state in a shameful way, he kept very bad press for a long time, the media was constantly criticizing him until he died then he became the King of Pop again and everyone is Idolizing him. And the icecream on the cake is selling tickets to his memorial?? Is this a circus or what? I do not undertand how anyone can turn his memorial into a freakshow. He might not have led a God fearing life but he also does not deserve to be disrespected by "selling seats" to his memorial. SHAME ON EVERYONE involved with that insanity!!!!!!!!!

July 6, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |