June 23rd, 2009

With 'Jon & Kate' can the show go on?

After announcing that they are splitting up, both Jon and Kate Gosselin said they will continue their reality series, “Jon & Kate Plus 8” - albeit separately.

But can such a show succeed?

The appeal of the series had been watching the couple grapple with the trials of raising twins and a set of multiples. Now, with the pair planning to film her with the kids and him with the kids, will interest dwindle?

On HLN's “Showbiz Tonight,” investigative journalist Pat Lalama told host A.J. Hammer after the announcement that she believed the show might actually benefit from the breakup. “Come on, A.J., we all know this guarantees seven more seasons,” she said. “We’ve got the custody battle. We’ve got Jon’s visitation on the weekends. We’ve got Kate’s first date and the kids meet the guy. We’ve got all kinds of stuff going on here.”

Sasha Pasulka, head writer and founder of the site Evil Beet Gossip, has been following the show and said it  has taken a huge hit in the ratings since its premiere.

Pasulka predicts that decline will continue and theorizes the big announcement episode was a way to try and revive the ratings. "I expect the 'Jon & Kate' viewership will continue to plummet, and TLC will have to wait until Kate takes up with a much-younger lover to finagle another quick ratings boost," she said.

Variety reported that TLC has ordered 40 shows for the fifth season. That’s a great deal of air time to fill with parents who are going through a divorce and seem to be struggling with communicating.

Will you be watching?

–Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Filed under: Jon & Kate Plus Eight • television

1. Valerie

Dr.Phil says that it is better for children to be from a broken home than in one. Before Jon & Kate separated their children were in a broken home. During this time of separation there should be counseling for Jon & Kate. There is still hope for this marriage. Dr.Phil also says that you teach people how to treat you. Well, everyone seems to hate Kate because she was so hard on Jon. He did not stand up for himself, there had to be a reason why. If she is overbearing that can be dealt with. People can change, if they want to. Yes they got married young, yes they had children young but they have a responsibility to those children to make every effort to fix their marriage. When something is broken you can do a few different things. You can walk away from it, you can go out and buy a new one, or you can fix it. If a relationship is broken if can be fixed. This whole thing just makes me ill! I have been married for 24 years in August. My husband and I have been through several difficult things, if we had thrown in the towel we would not have the awesome relationship that we have now. Raising children is hard. Children are a blessing but they can come between you as husband and wife. maybe you don't agree about how to parent, that is possible. You have to compromise, life is all about compromise. Not always getting your own way. I just want Jon and Kate to think about what is truely important. Those kids! The best thing they can do is work on their marriage and stay together! Can you imaging the example that would set for their children! They will go into their marriages some day and instead of being scared to death that it won't work, they will have the confidence to know that you can work things out, if you really want to! When you get a divorce you turn in one set of problems for another set of problems, it isn't worth it, not when you have kids! JON AND KATE, PLEASE LISTEN TO WHAT WE ARE TRYING TO TELL YOU!

June 30, 2009 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cynndie

I think the show can go on. It would be showing what a lot of families go through with divorce, living arrangements, visitation rights and what not. No family is perfect and obviously they have shown that.

June 25, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Let It GO

TLC you need to drop the Jon and Kate Plus Eight Show. Considering they actually deceived all of their viewers for two years that they basically were living apart. What a lie and a farce. If TLC knew about this why have you let them continue. It's time to take the cameras out of the home. I will NOT be watching their show anymore and I was a HUGE fan of their show. Viewers don't want to watch their children dealing with the divorce of their parents and this certainly won't go away by August. If Kate was that mean to Jon before, what is she going to be like now? OMG! I know there are two sides to their story and Jon is making bad choices too. It saddens me that it has come to this. Kate has turned into a diva worrying about her hair, makeup, clothes and her appearance more than her kids. She treated him like a dog, not the husband of their eight children. Maybe this was his way of dealing with her abusive behavior towards him. I don't blame him. I know he's not perfect but while watching the shows through the years I think she drove him to this. Maybe her next partner will tell HER what to do! I wonder how she would deal with that or having someone yelling at her constantly because she couldn't even breathe the right way. Get off your pedestal Kate, come back down from your castle on the hill and join the rest of us hard working people who live week to week. Go back to nursing! Now, that's a sugggestion for you. TLC CANCEL THE SHOW and let their kids have a normal life.

June 25, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Janette

I will not be watching this show anymore The only reason I watched
    it was for the family and the love they showed for those kids, not saying
    they don't love them but now money comes first. I'm a mother of four
    beautiful kids my husband is six years older then me we had our first
    one when I was eighteen and my last when I was 25, now I'm 31.

When Jon said he was in a new chapter in his life I laughed one night
    I was talking to my husband and I said to him how wonderful our life
    had been blessed we married, had kids, and now we were on a new
    chapter seeing our kids grow up and loving every minute of it.

Jon was talking about himself what he wanted to do (not about his kids) and Kate playing the poor me sad women role well that's just
    even sadder! In the long run these beautiful kids are the ones who
    are going to get hurt, there life's are going to be turned upside down
    and I will not be there to watch it and support it!! Jon and Kate you two need to get a clue there are more important things in life then making money.

I hold life everyday like it's going to be my last I tell my family everynight
    how much I love them, life is to short and you never know when you will take you last breath, enjoy every seconded of it with the people you love the most.. I Pray for Jon and Kate but most of all for there kids.

June 25, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. No More

Jon and Kate +8
    Give me a break end it. That's all we need more tragedy to watch in a broken family. There as phony as phony can be there more interested in money then Kids. END IT Don't allow your own ambitions to dragg the children thru your trouble.

June 25, 2009 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. K. Brennan

Same on Jon! Excited about the new chapter in your life. Now with all your money you can ski board, buy fancy cars, apartment in New York and date young girls. Just "HANG".

As for Kate, I think her heart is in the right place. I really think she did this for the money for her children and their future. I am sure she will find happiness again one day.

June 25, 2009 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jill

CNN- My comment was perfect yesterday. Why not put it up? People should not be so engrossed in the fashion of these parents and how they maintain their personal hygiene habits. I am entitled to my own perceptions and beliefs. I do not judge a book by its cover, I do not believe people should be based on worthiness of the clothes and how they take care of their bodies. I have met the most beautiful people, living in the streets. I would like to say more than a shame on you CNN. You have to adhere to the majority. Basing peoples worth with the clothes on their backs and hygiene, terrifying.. you CNN not letting me have my perspective out there as the rest– depressing. Thanks a bunch moderator.

June 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Carrie

TLC has, of late, marketed itself as a tv station that glorifies marriage, pregnancy, and parenthood without taking a close look at its ramifications, and now it's come back to bite them. The network has an abnormal fascination with multiples in families, and it's obvious to me that the well-being of the children shown on J&K+8 is not foremost of the network's concerns. If they are so committed to marriage and family, TLC should step up and cancel the show on its own, taking a stand that these beautiful 8 children – not MISTAKES, as someone above referred to them as – matter, and that they deserve to be happy, and to be able to look back in ten years and see their lives crumbling before the cameras – and the eyes of the entire world – is not the definition of happiness.

June 24, 2009 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Andy

Funny enough for a really young kid like me to really watch this show but I find watching Jon & Kate raise their kids kind of enjoyable in a sense.

The news about this doesn't seem to alarm me for some reason but I was persuaded by some people stating that it all just some "drama" so the show could get some more ratings. It makes it wonder if Jon really loved his kids. Yes, most people would feel sorry for Jon being mistreated by Kate for not expressing his opinion but in my opinion if this wasn't a "drama," then it would be the best for them both and the kids. I wouldn't ever want to be stuck with someone who doesn't feel right being with them.

I will still watch a few more episodes to see whether this series is worthwhile anymore but there's always the Duggers and Table for 12.

June 24, 2009 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ramona

More Money and fame has snatched ths family of their happiness. These two must be thinking now that they have enough money and fame in their stride ....why should they bend towards each other to work on their marriage. Seeing all this media hype about them.Its a shame to see what happened to this family!

Jon was certainely looking as if he was waiting to get out of this marriage.

June 24, 2009 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Candy Martin

Seriously, I am pretty sick with people attacking Kate because she is out earning a living to support eight children. If it was Jon out earning a living for eight children...you people would not be complaining at all. It is incredibly sexist to think that just because she is a woman, she should be at home. I am sure she would like to be, but unfortunately Jon could not earn enough money to support all of them, so she had to do what any good, loving mother would do and get a job. She so happens to have a job that is demanding and pays very well and I think it's disgusting to attack her for this. She obviously loves her children and they love her. Jon is the one that truly disgusts me right now. He is only "32 years old", give me a freaking break. You were part of this Jon...you helped create these beautiful children. Man up and stop trying to "sow your oats" and "live it up" because you are right...your children will grow up and be able to google you and guess what...they will know the truth behind "daddy" just wanting to be young again and "excited" about his new life.

June 24, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sue

We are all here complaining about Jon and Kate but now it`s time for action. We must stand up for the kids because no one else seems to be.

I emailed TLC`s viewer relations department and told them I will boycott all TLC shows if they don't cancel Jon and Kate. I also told them that people are more likely to tell 4-5 people of a negative experience then a positive one. I feel so proud of myself that I took action rather than ranting. I even emailed Dr Phil as he's had Kate on his show a couple of time and asked for his help. I believe if we all email TLC to cancel this show are they going to keep it on if people are apposed to, certainly not.

So let`s unite David and stand up for the eight plus what kind of precedent is this showing for other families of multiples, me included. Kids shouldn't be exploited for any circumstances all for the mighty $$$.

To email TLC go to http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations. It`s a simple process but you have to select Jon and Kate plus 8 show. They will respond that they will send your concerns to the executive. The email that comes back is viewer_relations@discovery.com but it states they will not respond to this email.

Jon and Kate plus 8 can end if well all take action.

June 24, 2009 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Anne

The network should cancel the show. Money and power are all Kate cares about. Once the show is over perhaps she'll get in touch with reality and look to her husband instead of the money. It's sad to watch her decline. I won't be watching anymore. They are both selfish but Kate is SO FULL OF HERSELF. She needs to look in the mirror. Their children are suffering!

June 24, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lisa Marie

I'm so happy that the show has put a HALT for now , I hope it continues to be that way, for the sake the of children. I would really like to hear what kate has to say now, since the show has been put on hold

June 24, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Theresa B

What saddens me is twofold. First of all, it seems to me that separation and divorce has become the convenient answer to marital difficulties in today's society. Rather than working hard to keep open communication and sharing between couples, it's the easy route to take. Marriage takes constant work to keep it fresh and up-dated. And no matter how many children you have, you both need to put your own personal self interests aside to keep them healthy; both emotionally and physically.
    What I see here is both parents who have forgotten why they became a couple in the first place. I watched Jon & Kate in the beginning, but as their popularity grew, their values appeared to devolve. Kate appeared to have become more interested in her celebrity status, rather than her role as a full time mom and wife. And Jon has allowed this strong willed woman to take over; thereby further weakening his rather "easy going" demeanor into complete passiveness.
    This is the demise that should have been able to be for-seen when they first signed on to "star" in this "reality show". I just goes to show you how money, appearance, and material items can take over and skew true reality.
    No one can convince me that either of these parents have their children's best interests at heart. While divorce is sometimes inevitable in a marriage, it is saddest for the most important Gosselins of all; the 8 children of this selfish couple.

June 24, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  16. AC

I've watched this show since it began and I loved it because it was a wholesome family show about this young couple and their adorable kids. But now that they're divorcing, part of what I loved about this show is gone. I will definitely not be watching anymoe.

June 24, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jaycee

If these two really had the childrens' best interests at heart like they keep saying they do, they would have ended the show when they started having problems and worked on their relationship. Instead they kept going, all for the money. There is more to kids' happiness than having money and material things- they might rather have two happy parents with a solid marriage.

June 23, 2009 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Karen

Give me a break, they have found a way to make a lot of money off the backs of their children and they don't want to have to get real jobs. Let the kids me normal and not dressed alike 24/7. They are individuals and should be treated as such. Both parents need to go for counseling.

June 23, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  19. LKG

If their kids really were their priority they would pull the plug on this show. It is exploitative and wrong to have these children live with friends and neighbors watching their family fall apart. Give them some privacy, it seems really sick and wrong to continue to watch this show. Also shame on you TLC, why are you turning your network into a freak show? It needs to end and if Jon and Kate haven't saved enough of the gravy train money from the last four seasons then they can get jobs like the rest of us.

June 23, 2009 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  20. TG

Show needs to be canceled....for the kids benefit. Its become too Hollywood, especially Kate. Its always been about Kate and now Jon's speaking up. Good for him. Should have socked away the money early on "for the kids" rather than obviously splurging on themselves, which is quite evident in Kate's physical appearance. Just by Kate's mannerisms, it appears she's using her kids, whether she realizes it or not, for monetary reasons. She needs to take a back seat and look at the larger picture now.

June 23, 2009 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Liz

I watched 2 or 3 episodes of the show and got a little familiar with the show, I did watch last nights episode and it was very sad to see the family tearing apart. Jon is being so selfish yet he thinks he is standing up for himself. When he said that he was excited, only 32 yrs old and new chapter in his life.... clearly showed what he is really up to.... sad he is acting such a fool in thinking he is doing the right thing. As for Kate, maybe she did over play her controlling role, but Jon aslo acted like a kid at times. Jon and Kate allowed the relationship to be the way it was. They are both being very irresponsible in not repairing their relationship, Jon needs to man up....seriously, having 8 kids gives YOU NO CHOICE but to be a father, husband, and a real MAN and work on your marriage. The only victims here are the kids.

Where is Jon's family? someone needs to set him straight.... too late now try to live DAY BY DAY and enjoy life. You dont deserve that at this point its about your children now. Why are parents now in day so selfish? There should be some consequences to the irresponsability, why do kids always end up paying for consequences?

Go to counseling, its not too late!

June 23, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Lolena

What are these parents thinking? These poor children does not need to be put onto a show. I think Kate maybe just worried about the incoming income! She says the kids will always come first. I don't think so , these kids needs to be taken of the show, all those cameras and people around them is not healthy, they need to live normal lives in a home, maybe If kate and john never agreed to this show they would still be happily married. I'm just upset 8 children and divorced parents. quit the show and work it out for the kids sake.

June 23, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Terri

ENOUGH ALREADY WITH JON + KATE !! This was a nice little show about an "ordinary" family dealing with "extraordinary" circumstances of raising 8 children. Now, it is a joke. These two are losers. It is not about the kids anymore. They have turned these children into cash cows for their own greed. I think that everyone should stop watching this farce. Then, maybe, they will fade off into the sunset with the eight kids that they have pimped out for far too long. These people (and TLC for that matter) are DISGRACEFUL.

June 23, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jessica

yuck. take them off the air. don't watch. this is just tragic and the whole thing is making everyone disgusted.

June 23, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Pete McKibben

I agree with cs, at some point she will turn those 8 kids against Jon. Having said that, Jon needs to stay real close by. But stop this show.

June 23, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Grammi

I am done watching. They really messed things up. I feel so bad for the children...I come from a family with a messy divorce and it changed me forever. Shame on you two!!

June 23, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jeff

TLC, PLEASE END THIS SHOW!!!

June 23, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Chlotilda

Sadly, this couple has chosen to address the symptom not the problem. If they're going to dissolve a contract, why not the one made with the network, rather than the covenant between God and each other? Happiness and peace will never come while they are seeking worldly recognition. Lose the cameras to find what really matters. You can't change what has already happened, so if you don't like the outcome, change your reaction. Good luck Jon and Kate.

June 23, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Krejaton

I have seen the show three times and I have wasted three hours of my life. She is a self-serving, egotistical, controlling, manipulating, attention whore and she disgusted me. Even the announcements of their divorce–notice that he is trying to minimize the me vs. her verbiage while she is making sure she paints herself in the best possible light.

There is no doubt that the obnoxious, toxic harpy was pushing the family into the show and I will not support this despicable person by watching for one more minute.

June 23, 2009 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Matthew Miller

So since Jon quit his job to be a "stay at home" dad while Kate is away doing her thing.....

wont she have to pay him child support? This knife better cut both ways!!

June 23, 2009 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Doug

Today Kate say the kids are her priority. Two days ago it was the money as her priority. Good old American greed is at it again. I applaud the network for giving it a break for six weeks. Now they just need to not bring them back at all. Cancel the show outright. If Kate is truly all for the kids now she can go get a job like the rest of us and earn an honest living and not exploit her children (as in Octomom?). I don't see a difference.

June 23, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Shelby

I hope, for the sake of the kids, that they discontinue the show. They could do a special show once a year for updates, but these children need to get out of the spotlight and have a somewhat normal childhood.

June 23, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Marie

While I enjoyed the show early on, I think these two should grow up and deal with the trauma that this divorce will bring to their children's lives.

If they must carry on with this while getting divorced– I suggest that TLC hire psychiatrists, conselors, etc to help the whole family, instead of just following them around like the voyuers they (and we) have all become; at least something positive will at least come of THAT.

June 23, 2009 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Rae

Please. Cancel it already. I don't think this show should continue. Enough is enough

June 23, 2009 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Holly

I can't believe another family's hardships is entertaining to people! It reminds me of what the media did to Britney Spears!

June 23, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Mary

I think that the show should end!!!
    There has been enough to distroy this family and the great relationship that once was..... Fame, Money, and extreme exposure to someone's private life can ruin something that is so precious and simple as Family!!!!
    Work it out Jon and Kate..... Remember WHY you got married and PRAY.... miracles can happen if only you BELIEVE!!
    End the show and return to the life you once had and end this chaos..

June 23, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Lisa

Does anyone remember that Jim Carey movie, The Truman Show? It is scarey how this reality show in particular has mirrored all the surreal twists and turns Truman's life took in that movie, and how equally surreal it is that people continue to tune in to watch, despite knowing that their watching has contributed to the destruction of this family and its sense of values. What sick voyeurs Americans have become, and how pathetic that this family is even considering putting their children's walk through their divovce on television. And we thought the Octomom was an unfit parent? These poor 8 kids would be better off living with parents who truly made them "their priority" rather than with the two self centered brats who are their parents.

June 23, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Lisa

I feel like I just watched an episode of Deal or No Deal...where someone got greedy and kept going when they should have STOPPED, pushed the red Button and said DEAL.

I am an original viewer of the show. I used to even watch with my 5 year old that has been nicknamed "Maddie" buy several people because she is just like Maddie.

I feel like this show has become Jon & Kate (just about their relationship issues) and has also become Jon & Kate meet other Reality Stars. It's self indulgent of them. They are clearly lost and believe that if they say "It's for the kids" enough times...maybe THEY will actually believe it. It's not for the kids...clearly everyone else can see that but them.

I am OFFICIALLY BOYCOTTING this show and encourage EVERYONE to do the same...truly for the sake of their children. Since the "8" have parents that can't seem to make the correct decision. It makes me physically ill to watch this train wreck.

BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT.

June 23, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Christine

I've not watched a lot of Jon and Kate. My daughter is the real fan. Last night I decided to watch "the big announcement" and found this to be one of the most boring shows I've ever endured. How many times could they repeat themselves, how they feel today, how they felt yesterday, how much the kids mean to them. I think my life is more exciting than that. My take on this is Jon's comment "I'm only 32" was to suggest he has his whole life ahead of him in a good way. I don't think we need to read anymore into this. Divorce rates are high and while I don't think the show helped them any, I doubt it was the main cause. With 8 kids consuming your life it is difficult to find "couple time" and a dinner out here and there doesn't count. They've been so wrapped up in their kids and the show, they've stopped communicating and most likely they have not made love in a long time. So what happens when a young healthy couple stops making love with each other? They find someone else to make love to. Right or wrong, they are human. Kate is stressed and harps on Jon. Some young thing has probably come along and empowered him again. This is not a unique story and could have just as easily been Kate straying with all their new found fame. They will be happier apart. It sucks for the kids, but they will survive like everyone else. Personally I think if this is T.V's idea of real life, than I'm going to stick with the fiction. The Gosselin's real life is the same ole, same old only with 8 kids.

June 23, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Rita

Any man that says he's excited about divorce is really a piece of work!!!!. Kate and the kids will be better off without a cheat and sneak in their lives. Good luck Kate in your future with your children.

June 23, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  41. TLA

The show should not go on. Jon & Kate's main priority should be the health and welfare of their family, and not on making money! This has been the big issue all along. Kate has gotten bit by the money hungry grub worm and doesn't realize she needs to come back to earth and focus on her marriage and family. They are not doing their kids any justice by sticking with this show!

June 23, 2009 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  42. amy

I don't think the show should go on because, this is going to affect the children, and they should come first not raitings...I think the parents should get REAL jobs and think about what their children might say when they get older and other children say" my parents saw your parents on t.v. not getting along" those children need parents that are going to put them first and stop worring about raitings and such ..like i said GET REAL JOBS..

June 23, 2009 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Al

Well I do think that the show should be canceled, this is a private matter now.

June 23, 2009 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Kathy

I definitely think the show will and can go on...we need to watch Kate and Jon handle all of this with 8 children.....it will be sad, but I think Kate, especially, will pull it off......it will help other women who find themselves in similar situations know that they can also survive...I love her line, "I will survive and they (the children) will too........" great...best of luck...God Bless

June 23, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Chavonn Strong

dan wouldnt you spoil your children to?? anyone with that kind of money would. come on now. and they arent teaching them money is more important then love. jeeze...

June 23, 2009 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Linda

Kate and Jon keep saying that they are doing the show for the kids only. However it is plain to see it is for the money and all the perks they get.
    If they cared so much for the kids, they would have stopped doing the show a long time ago. It does not take three million a year to keep eight kids.
    I have watched this show from the beginning but I am now done with them.

June 23, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Sue

I think it's rediculous that they continue to air Jon and Kate plus 8. It isn't at all good for the kids and all it's promoting is $$s are worth more. I stop watching because I don't stand for the premise of what this show is about going forward. The kids lives are worth so much more.

I'm a mother of twins plus a 4 year old and never would I put a show on that would hurt my kids. Divorce is never easy on kids as we've seen countless times what it has done. What are these kids going to think? Mommy and Daddy broke up, they never sought councilling to try and resolve their problems. I believe continuing the show was the driving issue in them getting divorce. Now all theior pain will be aired on TV. We should ask the kids what they want and the answer would be undoubtly I want my mom and back together or to get along.

So Jon or Kate or the producers please take the moral ground for the kids and end the show now before it gets out of hand. If you don't I will boycott all shows on TLC and in a tuff economic times you don't want to hurt your viewers. I will also tell others and if you know anything about customer service a person is more likely to tell 4-5 more people about a negative experience than a postive one.

Sue

June 23, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Chavonn Strong

Just because you two are having problems it does not mean that they are bad parents.

June 23, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  49. AR

I agree with most of the above. I have been an avid watcher of the show, however it has lost my interest. They are putting the money first, they should realizing their 15 minutes are up and get back to “reality”!

June 23, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Dan McMullan

John gets divorced. No child support. John can go sking and living the lifestyle of the rich and famous. Kate can sit in her paid-for estate, get perks from advertisers who want to give her freebes for the infomercial which this program has become. The program continues for the kids sake.
    John if he was working in IT and kate working as a nurse, would be hardly be surviving trying to maintain these kids. They would have to struggle and teach the kids how to survive as a family. Instead Kate and John take the easy way out. They have their pockets full of money and buy whatever they want. The life lesson the kids learn is that money is more important that loving caring relationship.
    TLC should bite the bullet and cancel the show for the kids sake. The kids are becoming more attached to the production crew that their parent who have pimped the lives of their children.
    If this program is continuing for the sake of the children. Kate and John dont have parenting skill and the state welfare department should take the responsibily to ensure that the children live in a loving safe, happy and healthy enviorment.

June 23, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Sandy

TLC: PLEASE do everyone a favor, including the viewing audience, and CANCEL this show.

June 23, 2009 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Chase

The simple fact that there are people who genuinely believe the show should continue (Jon and Kate included) makes me sick. If the show continues, as I have a strong feeling Kate is pushing for, the children are going to grow up and resent every single day of their childhood. Yes, having 8 kids is hard. Yes, most people would jump at the chance to make 50k an episode to to give their children everything they need and then some. But, when that 50k includes the loss of a child's innocence on national television the kids aren't going to care about the toys they had growing up or the car they got when they turned 16. They're going to be too upset by the fact that their "those kids" that grew up with a crazy mom and cheating dad.
    If Jon and Kate really want to do what's best for their children and not what's best for themselves they will get a divorce. But they will do it gracefully. If they don't want to "fight in front of the kids" then step up to the plate and mean it. The kids are going to watch the show. The kids are going to see them fighting. End the show to protect the little innocence that's left for those 8 kids.

June 23, 2009 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Jules

I have not been a fan of this new season, it is too much about the celebrity status of the family then about the kids growing up. Things have changed so much and I just don't think people can relate any longer. Of course the breakdown of their marriage may hit close to home for some viewers, their life is still so different from everyday people.

I would suggest discontinuing the show, what will the kids think when in ten years they rewatch their lives and the moment their parents decided to call it quits... that cannot be good for a child's psyche.

June 23, 2009 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Chavonn Strong

Kate and jon do not listen to any crap these people say. you just keep being the great parents you are.

June 23, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  55. deborah j. klimkofski

It is sad how they didn't even try to save their marriage but
    THE SHOW MUST GO ON!. It needs to be canceled! Has anybody seen Mady....I bet you anything this is effecting her.
    If their children are their first priority........cancel the show. Kate can get a job as an RN and Jon just might have to get a job, if he can get one and keep one!
    I hope TLC drops the show. It is no longer Jon and Kate plus 8.
    Who wants to watch a divorced couple.
    No, I will not watch it and I quite frankly I don't want to hear anymore about it.
    Think of what these kids are going to think of when they get older and ready all about this.
    Let's think of the kids.......get your divorce and raise your kids in private!

June 23, 2009 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Sharon

I is just a classic case of the wife outgrowing the husband. She has to take care of eight kids, eight mouths to feed and 8 bodies to dress. He never stepped up to the plate, he let her control everything (you have to have control with 10 people).
    In my opinion he started thinking the grass is greener on the other side, but who would want to get involved with him, when he has to pay child support for 8 children. Oh wait he does not work, he got fired from the last two jobs he had.
    I say go on your own Kate, you have been doing it all along, you just have 8 kids now not nine!

June 23, 2009 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Cheryl Lively

Kate and the kids should diffenertly go on with the show...but we all know Jon's CHOICE....he comes first. So give Kate a break. I have watched this show from the beginning and it has always lifted my spirits to see such a mother dedicated her every second of her time to her kids, to care about there nutrients, there clothes, naps, education, and etc., theirs so many levels to a child care and Kate has nailed it. So why don't we help her and stop trying to destroy her. I'm praying for God to bless this family with the directly he see fit.

God Bless All Of You!!!!

A loving Fan.

June 23, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  58. marjorie

Jon acts like a laid back pot-head. Duh, duh, duh. And Kate is doing what any Mom of a large bunch of kids has to do. Get up every morning and take charge of the home and family. I predict Kate will succeed with or without Jon.

June 23, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Cindy

Kate is a master manipulator. If she really cared about her kids, as she says, she would quit putting her husband down in public, on the air and through "statements". While Jon may not be the most mature of individuals, SHE is a scheming narcissist. It's no wonder she has no friends and her family is alienated from her.

June 23, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  60. MJR

For heavens sake TLC you should cancel this show. A family has been ruined and you want to continue??? This show was about one person only – Kate. Do the right thing and cancel this show out of your line-up.

June 23, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Livia

I truly sympathize with the entire family. It doesn't matter who is at fault. In a marriage it is usually both parties that have contributed to the breakdown even if unwittingly. The popular opinion seems to be they had it coming. I disagree. Although they are stars in a reality show they are entitled to some privacy and a semblance of normal life. We shouldn't expect them to compromise that just because they are on television. I do feel that the show has become less about the kids and more about advertising other TLC shows. What made the show so great for me was that no matter how bad my day turned out when I watched the show I felt happy and tranquil. I thought to myself if these two can handle these beautiful eight kids and learn to stop and just enjoy those small funny moments then maybe life is that simple. I hope that they are able to work things out.

June 23, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  62. S. Luckhurst

I have not been a fan of the show. So here is my view. I think that they are the only ones that can make any decision regarding their family. We should not judge their decision, they are doing and will do what they feel is best. They are trying to make very difficult and painful decisions that are painfully public due to their show and media coverage. Granted, they chose this life, but with this fragile economy and unemployment rates at an all time high, they would be smart to try, in anyway, to provide for their family. Whose to say that, if my family were interesting enough, that we wouldn't be on t.v. with our own reality show. It takes alot to put yourself in the spotlight, flaws and all, out there for all to see. This is a reality for THEM, their lives are not perfectly scripted and may not be what others would choose but give them a break. They are human after all.

June 23, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Reality Bites

stop the madness! This show does not provide anyone with any constructive information. I have never watched the show and never will watch it. they are old news. Let the kids get on with a normal life – outside the TV studio.

June 23, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Donna Kissane

It saddens me to see that this show will go on in light of the latest developments with Jon and Kate.
    Once there were sign of trouble with the 2 of them, they shouldve put the tv showon hold and consentrate on there marrige with out the media looking over there shoulders.
    During last seasons show I noticed that Kate seemed to me more agrrivated with Jon thent he previous seasons. Maybe going to Hawaii to renew there wedding vows at the shows expense was the wrong thing to do, and the new house that they just moved in to, now what will happend with that????
    Seems like they (Jon and Kate) want to do whats right for them and not there kids, how sad!!!

June 23, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Janet Jones

First, TLC should and ultimately will, drop this show.
    Second, an independent guardian / trustee should be appointed to monitor the childrens' financial trusts from the show and their psychological health.
    Third, the public must stop adding to this show's financial gain, in any manner.
    Fourth, there should be an independent family member, i.e. Kate's brother and sister-in-law to monitor the children's welfare.
    Fifth, the public should allow this divorce to be a wakeup call to all those who sacrifice their children for money, fame, celebrity status and youth. Husbands and wives may come and go but kids are here to stay! God Bless them all!

June 23, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Carolyn

Breaks my heart to see them part but sometimes "staying together for the kids" is not always the best. Wish they could have fought harder for their marriage, but it takes two. (Kate made the remark that Jon was angry and she could not get him to talk.) Actually, I would like to see how it goes. Will say a prayer for them all.

June 23, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  67. SuzM

I don't think the show will have quite as much appeal, but there is a lot that Jon and Kate can do to help themselves, which will help the show. He needs to get over his (understandable) anger and bad attitude, and she needs to learn how to work with others (if she wants a shot at another relationship). If they had sought counseling in the first place, they could have possibly worked things out. I think Kate would have been willing, but Jon has given up. It's too bad for those kids that this option was not given serious thought.

June 23, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Jim

It's been pretty obvious that Jon didn't want to do the show anymore. Having eight kids is tremendous work and has it's own issues as far as a parent (Jon in this case) having to sacrifice and give up on personal dreams. Kate too has sacrificed, but she obviously doesn't understand his feelings. Both are wrong, but I too see Kate as just a whiner about everything being about her kids. Well, she's married and it should also have been about her marriage. Running off and doing promotions and book deals pretty much showed me her priorities, and Jon was not one of them. I won't watch the show again. Kate needed to give up on the show and put all her efforts into her marriage and kids. They've got enough money for a lifetime, so the stuff about it being all about her kids is baloney.

June 23, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Karen Fein

Of course I'll watch the show just to see how far a woman goes to make money and keep herself in the public eye. It's too bad Jon didn't stand up for himself before they got married; there never would have been a marriage if Jon had shown any backbone. They are now, and have always been, two people with very different visions of what makes a happy life. Jon is not a publicity hound; Kate can't get enough of it. Wow, what a mismatch! Wait 'til the kids grow up and watch these shows and see how their mother disrespected their dad. Kate may be in for a rude awakening!

June 23, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Lynne Barnett

Take a look at the photo of Jon pushing Kate in her wheelchair before the birth...........then look at the two of them last night. It's pretty clear who has remained the same and who has grabbed at becoming the celebrity at any cost. I'm afraid that Kate has become the user in getting what she wants, regardless of who's in her path. If this show goes on, these children will grow up being disgusted with their parents use of them, particularly the greedy one. The show should end immediately, making last night's announcement "the grand finale".

June 23, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Donna

I loved this family, they were a normal family with conflicts included. I feel the title of this show should now be Jon and Kate forget the 8. Because that seems to be what is happening. Every couple argues, especially with so many kids. Each parent has there own view of what is best for them. If there is no communication there can never be any resolution. Jon seems to be a little too excited with having a single life, but he will never be as single as he wants those eight beautiful children will always be there. Their intentions for the show were good, they needed the funds to raise such a large family who were all in about the same age range. These kids seem more happy with having so much room to run. But they are unaware of what is happening with their parents. Once they realize what this we can expect to see these kids acting out in a negative way. Jon and Kate, get into counseling, work on your marriage for the sack of all these precious children.

June 23, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Jenn

TLC- take the show off the air!!!! Kate, I have one word for you: PRIORITY!!! Get your face out of the camera and take care of your personal business, in person!! Let your kids try to lead a normal life, maybe in 10 years they will be able to show their face in public without the embarrassment that you and your husband caused. One thing proven from this disaster show, fame is not an answer. I am proud to say that I have never watched one episode of this "family" exploitation. At least on Rock of Love, EVERYONE is an adult and they know what they signed up for. These poor 8 kids didn't have a clue. Let's see how many of them end up on a reality show in the future.

June 23, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Tom

Kate is pretty much the most horrendous, vile, unlikeable, controlling harpy I've ever had the misfortune of laying eyes on. Thank god for that poor man that he's free of her.

June 23, 2009 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Sandy

I was hopelessly addicted to the show but now that the couple is calling it quits, so am I. For the sake of the kids, the show needs to go on hiatus, they need to get counselling, and then come back with a fairy tale ending.

Forget Jon & Kate....18 Kids and Counting....great family values, respect amongst all family members. They know how to do it right and faith and famioly above all else!

June 23, 2009 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Laurie Sue

Here's a news flash: 32 is not too young to deal with the harsh realities of life. Jon and Kate chose to have 8 children. They actively pursued fertility treatment, knowing multiples could result. They then exploited their children by signing on to a television show that no one would have watched if it weren't for their 8 kids. That public life in the media was, I am sure, in large part responsible for the stresses that led to the current situation. Divorce is traumatic for children; airing that for the world to see will only make it worse. It is time for Jon and Kate to start acting their age, and to start acting like caring parents, and pull the plug on the show. Jon is acting like a self absorbed brat and Kate is focusing too much on fame and no enough on her kids. They both need to good swift kick in the pants. And no, I will not be watching the show in the future; I don't want to be a part of exploiting the children's unhappiness.

June 23, 2009 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Marie

The show doesn't need to go on at TLC. Might try moving to BRAVO right after the Housewives of New Jersey.

June 23, 2009 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Gary

People watched the show, originally, as it showed a husband and wife trying to raise their kids. My wife and I have watched the show on and off since the beginning, but lately it has turned into a circus. We dont watch the show anymore to see what the kids are doing or how everyone has grown together as a family. Its a side show that has gotten very ugly and I can safely say that we will no longer watch as a result. The show has lost its target audience. If you want to watch celebrity TV, tune into E.

June 23, 2009 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Debra McCormack

There needs to be a new reality show: "Single Women with Children".

The premise can be how women, who married and never thought about divorce in their futures, come to grips with the reality of what happens when they are left with the kids. It would show the women (no kids on camera) paying bills, working overtime and dealing with reality. A real "reality" show.

The goal would be to scare women into finishing their educations and becoming totally self-sufficient before have children. This is not to let men off the hook or the females, depending upon who winds up with the kids.

Jon is going to have to pay some zinger of child support, eh?

People do not get married thinking about divorce, but young women of America, please be prepared.

If watching this show should give you the creeps. It was exploitive from the beginning. No child should grow up in front of cameras.

For the record, I have not seen one episode.

June 23, 2009 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Sonia

I will absolutely keep watching the show. Nothing is more realistic than a family that is going thru a divorce and people can learn alot about how to handle it if Jon & Kate proceed the right way. I just wish everyone will get off Kate's back with these crazy claims that she doesn't love her kids as much as the money or that she abused Jon. Their situation was going to be stressful regardless and I think they would have gotten divorced alot sooner if it hadn't been for the show. The financial worries alone would have created even more stress, never mind that it looks like Jon is a cold person. Kate was always showing him emotion whether it be that she was yelling at him or asking him for a kiss or smacking him (which contrary to popular belief looked more like a way of her just being able to touch him than physical abuse). It's not like she's the octomom who had all these babies with no father and no way to support them.

June 23, 2009 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Valerie

I was very dissappointed when i heard Kate say that Jon would not even discuss with her on how they can work things out. If he truly loves his kids, then he should have at least tried to make the marriage work.
    It was disgusting to hear him say "........its exciting.......i am only 32.......its a new chapter in my life" guess what buddy, you are going to take your baggages with you to whatever relationship or marriage you find yourself, and newsflash, Kate is still pretty and young too, don't sit there thinking "her life is over, mine has just begun".
    Finally both of you need to do what is right by your kids and cancel the show already!

June 23, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  81. cs

Kate, you are a fake, a phony and a martyr. You can go back, you just choose not to.

Jon, it's about time you grew some balls. Keep close to your kids, she will turn them against you.

June 23, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  82. steph

The best thing for their children is for the parents to stay together. To put aside whatever is going on and remain together for the children. To go to counseling and to quit this show. These children are going to be affected by this more than these parents seem to realize. Life is not better on the other side.

June 23, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Susan Bailey

Love the show. Watch it all the time. Kate is a GREAT Mom and always has the children's best interest at heart. Jon is a spoiled brat, acts like a baby..always whining while it seems Kate does most of all the work. Let him go Kate, you can do this. If you watch your own tapes you'll see, you have been doing it for a long time ALONE anyway. Jon is going through his own mid-life issues and one day ALL eight children will see what a JERK Jon is. You are blessed and Kate is a Lovely person from the inside out so you go your way with your 20 year olds and all the best to you and like you said "hey, I'm only 32 years old"...thank God those children have Kate. God Bless you, Kate and the children. I will continue to support you, Kate. Love, Susan Palm Beach Gardens, FL

June 23, 2009 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Rachelslope

I feel sorry for the children mostly.

Now for Jon...he is or has become a selfish man. What is with the earrings, Harley, SMOKING, going out to bars with "friends", he is a husband and father..choices HE made no one forced him to say yes to Kate or having children. He is now going through a second teenage hormonal development. Grow up and stop with the tantrums think about your family, not about how you're only 32...and blah blah blah...

Kate, you have treated Jon horribly on camera and I have no doubt off camera. You act like a very selfish woman. How could you treat your husband the father of your children the way you have? It is appalling.
    You also need to grow up.

I will not be watching the show anymore, it is no longer worth watching the pain of your marriage laundry, you both need to stop saying the children come first and actually put the children first. Marriage is hard, it is a lot of work you just don't make commitments and walk away for a second chance. Grow up and work it out. Anything is possible.

June 23, 2009 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Jenny

Hey people on the comments!!!

You all are very rude about Jon and Kate. It is their business and their family matter. It is up to them if they want to be on TV show. Thats fine. I dont mind. I love them and they did a wonderful job raising their children. They are good parents and good kids. You can't blame on them. I feel sorry for them but they can do it and work it out. You cant tell them what to do. It is their decisions not yours and not mine. I always watch them on TV.
    Just leave Jon and Kate and their alone and let them what they want to do on their own TV shows and things.

Jon and Kate are wonderful parents and wonderful kids. Smile!

June 23, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Maureen

Jon and Kate should stop the show right now and protect their children. They won't, of course, because they want the money. Can't wait to see that family with 8 teenagers!!

June 23, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  87. SLM

No, It's on Hiatus. Good move, time to put the kids first. Time for Jon and Kate to get real jobs, if that's possible.

June 23, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  88. boocat

I have never watched this show but I am being inundated with articles all over the web. In my opinion, this woman is a media whore...she is more concerned about her 15 minutes of fame than her husband and her children. She is pathetic! I feel sorry for her husband and the children.

June 23, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  89. MattyT

TLC should immediately cancel this show. Real lives are involved and considering Jon nor Kate seem to REALLY have their children's best interest at heart, TLC should take a stand and do what's best for the children. This whole situation further demonstrates the influence of money and its resulting greed.

Perhaps this marriage could have been saved if the third wheel, I.e. the camera, had been kicked to the curb the minute things started heading south. I can only speak for myself that if I were on a reality show and my marriage we withering, I would push the show aside for the sake of my marriage and my family.

I feel so very, very sorry for those children and the heartache they will endure. And thanks to their greedy parents, they'll have the opportunity to watch their parents announce their separation / divorce over and over and over and over again... Shame on Jon & Kate for airing their dirty laundry in a way that will ensure their children can see it in the future.

June 23, 2009 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Craig

The whole thing makes me sick. Lets take the most devastating, confusing and guilt ridden moment in a child's life and stick a camera in their faces. Jon and Kate are two of the most self serving people I have ever seen, is there no limit to what they and TLC will do?

June 23, 2009 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  91. pls

The show must go on...or did Kate mean the stardom and her celebrity treatment must go on. Kate needs to get a life and do what is really important, be a parent and look after all your children. She needs to drop out of the limelight and be a caring parent.

June 23, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  92. christa

I think, that Jon lived to long with the abuse Kate gave out, he should have left her in the Dust a long time ago. I watched the show until last year and sometimes I wanted to smack her and her behavior towards her husband. She knew what she was doing when she married him, but you can abuse someone just for that long, he was younger and she thought more moldable. I stopped watching the shows because of both their greed. I do not think that Jon can afford Trump Tower after the show is canceled, it is time for both of them to leave TLC

June 23, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  93. lola ellen holland

If Kate and Jon really want to do whats the best thing for their children , STOP exploiting their children for monetary value. T hey will have a full time job nurturing and caring for their children's emotional welfare for years to come. But, sadly to say ,I imagine, they will continue to have their reality show because the more expensive the moms and Dads toys are.....the more money it takes and lots of it. Kate and Jon have gotten a taste of to what America considers the "Good Life" and it will be hard to go back to living from paycheck to paycheck even at the expense of their children's welfare. They will justify to continue on with the show by saying , to do so, would provide financial security for their children's welfare but the true SAD REALITY will be they won't be strong enough as mature adults to leave fame and fortune for it tastes so good.

They both have issues.
    Kate is a domineering, controlling, and aggressive.

Jon on the other-hand has been passive for so long with low self-esteem that he began to look in other places for someone to make him feel confidant. All of us like to be edified.Kate took Jon for granted far too long . Now she wants him back and Jon has found he does have a voice and sadly to say, probably Jon will not even consider marriage counseling. He wants to play now. He loves his children, but not enough to forgive Kate and to give it his best shot in cooperating in counseling because he doesn't have any confidence in himself that he could be successful.

A long painful journey of REALITY LIVING and will give all children whose parents insist upon viewing it an unrest of security in a child's mind, wondering, "Is this going to me and my mommy and daddy?"

Parents, if you are going to continue to watch this ongoing saga, please don't expose your children to this influence of insecurity. They have enough violence, adult material, as it is, to view every day to sift thru their tender minds. Watching KATE and Jon's ongoing sad REAL LIFE DRAMA will just add to all the junk they are already trying to sifer.

June 23, 2009 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  94. D. Mc

I agree with others, the show was about a loving family making it together. I'm a single mom and for anyone to think its easy then they are nuts. I only have three and even tho' I've been divorced for years, it never ends. They say they are thinking of the children, thats so untrue or they would work harder at having a marriage and forget having a show. I won't watch any more and I loved this show.

June 23, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  95. AA

Jon and Kate should abadon the reality show and work on their marriage. It is very possible they will divorce anyway, but at least try to make it work. It's ridiculous to think you can lead a normal life in front of cameras.

June 23, 2009 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  96. KarenW

We should all write to TLC and tell them this is awful. These poor kids have to deal with their greif in front of the country. How must that be at school to have all of the class mates watching this pathetic greedy couple. The nice little corner chair is now a swat on the butt. Kate doesent have Jon to yell at to take care of the kids she will fail miserably.

June 23, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Sam

The show needs to end

June 23, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  98. MR. H.

Oh well it was bound to happen. Jon just can't take it anymore and Kate is greedy. At least both will find some happiness.

June 23, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Wendy

The show is over or it should be over!!!!!! Enough of this family. It was a neat show with All of them together. It's just not the same and it's not fun watching anymore.

June 23, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Yeah Right

I do not feel sorry for either one. First off, it is known when Jon & Kate first married Jon was not ready for kids. It is clear who has been wearing the pants in this relationship, and it was not Jon. Kate has pushed and have been the more aggressive in this relationship. I think she should take responsibility for ruining her marriage. Not learning how to meet her husband halfway, rather make him seem like one of the children. Jon may have wanted this relationship to end years ago, but the children stopped it from happening. I do not like Kate, because she has never submitted to her husband, he has always had to submit to her. And yes, he is only 32 years old with 8 children. She is a bitch. He can still be there for his children and move on with someone else.

Now for Jon, he is to blame in this failed marriage, because when he felt something was wrong he should have lifted his voice, and communicated rather then let it fall all apart. He was too passive, and of course she ran all over him. I do not feel sorry for him, he should have taken his pants back and controlled his house. These are real people a real family with real problems. Selling your family to the media is wrong. Jon should not have allowed Kate to talk him into handing over his family to the public. Many of us with families would never think about sacrificing our family for a few bucks. Kate has lost her husband for a price, was it worth it?

June 23, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Nate

Please focus more on the kids and their well being. We have heard enough about this selfish woman and a cheating husband. Their show should be canceled and any money remaining (hoping the mother didn't spend it all) should be put in trust funds, or used for their therapy later in life.

Please, make the kids the stars and know America wishes for their well being.

June 23, 2009 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  102. holly

I feel bad for the whole family, especially Kate. She has been villified for years. I don't know how she copes with it. Whatever her problems there are worse people in the world. Most marraiges end in divorce, Jon and Kate are no extraordinary case.
    As with most people in general no one is perfect, not Jon, or Kate. It is too bad they couldn't work it out with a counselor or something, but you know life is short and the show must go on.

June 23, 2009 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  103. elmore

It makes me mad that they don't seem to be doing more to try to save their marriage. How long have they been having issues, 6 months? They continually spout "I'm for my kids, what's best for the kids" yet they're booked for every activity under the sun that takes them away from the kids.
    No one can know what's really going on behind the scenes, but have Jon and Kate made any kind of effort for counseling or any other attempts to re evaluate their "different goals"? Have they considered– duh - stepping out of the spotlight to work on their issues? Yeah, I know, it's now the family business, but if the kids and family were truly their priority, they could find a different business.
    They once said that they were all each other had since their families were miles away, estranged, etc, so I am baffled as to why they haven't tried harder.

June 23, 2009 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Rick

If Jon and Kate truly cared about doing what's best for the entire family, they would have cancelled the TV show. I don't know what Kate's truly thinking, but her words and actions make it seem like she wants to be in the spotlight more than anything.

I enjoyed watching the first few seasons of the show, but to save their marriage they should have stopped filming. It's obvious they are in a good financial place now to provide for their family.

It's just a shame that the show has been their downfall.

June 23, 2009 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  105. abbgardengirl

I my opinion the appeal of this show was watching two loving parents raise their children and make it all work. We see enough dysfunctional families in everyday life. Watching them made the dream seem possible. I will no longer be watching the show and don't think others should. Boosting TLC's ratings to watch a family fall apart would be terrible on the part of the American people.

June 23, 2009 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Deanna Tatman

Kate, I am sorry, I can see the hurt in your eyes. Jon, I am sorry for you too, because you feel so overwhelmed at being a father of 8 at 32 that you are going through the midlife crisis way early. You'll miss alot now that you've chosen to leave, but it is best to not hurt the kids more. I will pray for you all. Kate the hurt will make you stronger and you will survive this. You are a strong woman and a terrific mom. You love your kids and so does Jon and you want what is best for them. Just love them and live for them and yourself. You have support out there. I wish I could be there for you to lean on. I admire your strength and fortitude and those kids are so darn cute. You are both doing a great job as parents. Kate, you will be okay, it just takes awhile to work through the first few weeks. It will be okay. Rough, but okay. You have those kids to help you through it. They have lots of love to offer you. Your friend, Deanna Tatman

June 23, 2009 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Paul

No reason the show needs to go on. Let them handle their personal matter in private.

Why would anyone even want to film a couple going through a divorce?

June 23, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Tina

Interesting that they plan on having the kids stay at the house full time, with the parents doing the travelling back and forth, hither and yon. I'm sure it's because there are so many kids, but still....that type of arrangement would be way less stressful for any child of divorce. I wonder how many other divorcing couples out there would be unselfish enough to enter into such an agreement. It breaks your heart to see kids passed back and forth like possessions, sometimes 3 or 4 times a week.

June 23, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Rick

It took Jon this long to finally stand up for himself. I've watched enough episodes of Kate slapping Jon, belittling Jon,etc etc. All in the name of the kids.

I think it's a shame that TLC & the Gosselins are making all this money off the mistakes of these 2 people having 8 kids.

I hope the kids turn out OK, but odds are they will have many issues to deal with.

June 23, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Tara

I haven't followed Jon & Kate, but did see the episode last night and am familiar with their marital woes. What I saw last night was a couple who has lost their way in their relationship. They've been so consumed with their children, they've disconnected. I think it happens in a lot of [normal] relationships. But we all know that marriages are worth fighting for and you CAN reconnect. It takes a lot of "letting go" of those negative emotions. I think the separation will be good for them. They can still continue to tape their show having one parent at the house at a time. I wish them the best of luck in trying to find each other again. I'm completely surprised that Dr. Phil hasn't intervened on this situation. I'm sure he could help them find that spark again!

June 23, 2009 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  111. CM

TLC is basially ruining their rep by engaging in ratings grabs and trying to play up the drama. Instead of ordering more shows they need to do what is right for the kids and pull this embarassment.

June 23, 2009 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Chavonn Strong

And p.s people nobody is perfect! A marriage consists of 2 people it is not just one of there faults its both. So quit blaming just one person.

June 23, 2009 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  113. flcew

I don't think I will watch anymore. I fell in love with the "old" show and the family values that it represented. Wasn't it just a year ago that Jon & Kate renewed their wedding vows in Hawaii? Didn't they say in the opening "It may be a craxy life but it's our life and we are in it together"? Somewhere, they've lost their way....

June 23, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Sad

I agree. I felt like a peeping tom. Isn't anyone thinking about the kids? I hope Kate has the kids' therapy allowance built into her contract. They will look back and be able to actually watch their family's demise on DVD??? That's insane. TLC should have the good sense to pull them off the air. We should all stop watching and maybe they will. I used to watch but I'm pretty sure I don't want too anymore. I felt very uncomfortable watching last night, knowing that Jon and Kate would announce their split on national tv before their kids even knew. Wow. That's just crazy.

June 23, 2009 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Chavonn Strong

Personally i think everyone should stop gossiping about jon and kate. I mean really don't you all see that there whole family is going through alot. An now here you all are writing story after story. Talking bad and good. Voting on if they should stay together. Asking people whos fault they think it is. an so on. To me its crap and i personally feel bad for Jon and kate and the CHILDREN. So to Jon and Kate plus the children i say just hang in there and keep your faith.

June 23, 2009 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  116. T. G.

So far, TLC aired only 6 episodes this season, out of 40. That means we have to watch 34 more episodes of drama between Jon and Kate, while the children end up on the receiving end of their issue. Reality TV Exploitation at its finest!

June 23, 2009 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Eric

It would have been nice of the "announcement" was that they were taking a break from the show (hiatus) to spend time working on their relationship and family to put things back together.

June 23, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  118. MaryB

Having 10 children is a huge responsibility, but not many other couples get a chance to reap $50,000 (or more) per episode to have their lives aired on television. I enjoyed watching the children grow up, but canceling the show is necessary at this point. Let John and Kate figure out their lives, either divorced or together, but the public does not need to be drawn into the drama...forget this reality.

June 23, 2009 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Pat

I have enjoyed watching Jon & Kate since the beginning. However, the last years it has all been about Kate. It does make a difference, and I doubt if I will be a faithful watcher.

If you really care about the family, get off the air and work on making whatever happens work. The statistics show that children from disrupted homes do not do as well and throw into this the media circus will make the children the real losers. So Kate, if you really are all about YOUR children, then put your money where your mouth is.

June 23, 2009 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Evan

I completely agree with tigeryogiji. Although Jon endured some harsh treatment at times from Kate, the only thing I heard him say was that "this was a new chapter in his life", etc...nothing about how he is NOT happy with the circumstances, etc. Reading the news on him buying the "new car", apartment, and getting those horrid ear piercings reflects his attitude towards the circumstances. Its evident that his mind and heart are made up about the divorce/relationship. Kate is not an angel and perhaps she should have been a better wife towards Jon, I can agree to that, however she is the ONLY one who seems upset/distraught about the circumstances.
    I actually feel really bad about the divorce. Its natural for one to hope that a family of their size would have succeed in marriage, etc. It is going to be extremely difficult for the kids to adapt to having divorced parents. At this point the blame game is redundant and the kids should be the priority. I can applaud both parents in that area because its evident that they love them dearly and want the best for them. If its in the best interest of the children, then the divorce should proceed.

June 23, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  121. kb

Watching that show last night was heartbreaking-not because I have no life and get wrapped up in TV-but because Jon and Kate are real people with 8 kids. And I saw 2 incredibly selfish parents say they are doing everything for their kids because they love them-but missing the mark completely. If they loved the kids more than the $$$ that their show brings in, they would cancel the show immediately and go to intensive counseling. Divorce and the next 'chapter' is going to damage these kids more than they know. Jon with his gelled hair, pierced ears and 'teenager' clothing made me sick-"I'm only 32"-disgustingly selfish! You still have 8 children buddy--and the work has only begun! Kate and her dyed hair, fake nails, tanned and toned body shown off with her cleavage popping out and SO much leg showing-again-disgustingly selfish! And her denials that the fame and the show isn't the cause of their breakup???? Get real woman-it is THE cause of your breakup!! Look back at who you guys were 10 years ago, and look at you now-–you regressed 10 years not only in appearance but in behavior. I am sad for all of them, even the parents, but most especially the kids. They are going to pay for this emotionally.........so so sad.

June 23, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Ann from California

It is understandable that having been married so young and having so many children at such a young age can take a toll on one's personal identity. It seems neither of them were able to really live their own lives because they were always a spouse and a parent. Now that fame has afforded them the opportunity to "be their own person" (since they do not need each other financially anymore) they are taking that ticket and running away with it. Unfortunately, they are focusing on the destination and not the painful journey that their family will inevitably be exposed to during this process.

I think they can make their relationship work if they really wanted to. I suppose now the show can be called "JON minus KATE plus 8"...so sad!

June 23, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Just Wow

Are these people just gluttons for punishment? Their marriage already fell apart on national TV, what more do they want to happen? The classy thing for TLC to do at this point would have been to make this the last episode and leave them alone. It really is all about money for them. Sad. I wish the kids all the best, now I'll just be watching Table for 12 and the Duggars.

June 23, 2009 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  124. sonja chattin

The show should never go on.SHe can make money by doing books and tours and organizationskill books etc..why put your kids through this?really kate its not for your kids its for you.

June 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  125. AM

Last night's episode was the last one I will watch. It was awkward, uncomfortable to watch, and you could cut the tension with a knife. Who wants to watch this family continue to fall apart? They just want to keep riding this gravy train until it derails. Enough is enough already.

June 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Laurie E.

After watching last nights episode of Jon & Kate ..... The double earrings and the comment "I'm excited" when discussing his upcoming divorce...says it all.

June 23, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  127. tigeryogiji

Watching last night's "divorce" episode made me feel like a dirty, peeping tom.

These people are a real family, not actors, and it was not an enjoyable experience for my family. Frankly, I don't think that we will be watching this show anymore.

On a final note, I used to think "Poor Jon!". I don't think that anymore. Hearing him talk about "only being 32" and "it's a new chapter" in his life made me sick. How selfish!

Like it or not, he has eight kids who need him in their life, and to hear what other media outlets are saying about him, i.e., his spending money on sports cars and looking at apartments in NYC, I feel sorry for Kate who made a poor choice in marrying him in the first place...

June 23, 2009 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Pam

I'm sorry to say the only thing that surprises me is how many people are buying Kate's latest poor me act. Every other sentence out of her mouth is "My kids are my priority" but all of her actions for the last year at least have been about making her the star of the show instead of the kids. And still, most fans are buying her whimpering act. She refuses to acknowledge that she might have some responsibility in the failure of her marriage, says only that she is hurt and will survive this awful event. How about putting your marriage and husband first as your Christian beliefs dictate? Kate, you're a piece of work. Phony, phony, phony. Feel so sorry for those manipulated children. Heart-breaking.

June 23, 2009 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |