June 23rd, 2009

Production halts on 'Jon and Kate'

TLC is temporarily shutting down production on Jon and Kate plus Eight in order to let the family have some time to deal with their current situation.  A spokesman for TLC told Showbiz Tonight:

“TLC continues to support the Gosselin family and will work closely with them to determine the best way to continue to tell their story as they navigate through this difficult time. Following a retrospective of Jon and Kate's first 10 years airing on June 29th, the show will be on hiatus until August 3rd. During this time the family will take some time off to regroup and then a modified schedule will be in place to support the family's transition.”

Is this too little too late? Should TLC have pulled the plug on the show sooner? What do you think?

Tune in to Showbiz Tonight at 11pm Eastern and Pacific on HLN for all of the latest breaking developments in the Jon and Kate saga- don’t miss it!

1. Barbara Baldwin

July 28th I was fond of watching this show , when the parents wern't so Rich and Entitled ,and when they cared (seemingly) what their kids and viewers experienced. Now, why would I want to watch a "show" where they are PAID $75,000 Each time I watch, they buy $7,000
    playhouses for their kids, are DIVORCING sour pusses- and their house costs 1.1 million? CANCEL THIS NOW!

July 28, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Amy

"...This is their house, we consider this our children's house." Of course you do...child labor laws and industry standards state your children must have their money saved. "They are being exploited" comes from family members. Are the Gosselin's just another set of stage parents? Spending every dime as though it was their own. At least child stars of the past could hind behind a character, these children will have to watch their family fall apart for a lifetime, and it is no game of charades. Now Jon has the nerve to go beyond exploitation gathering contracts for the sell of t-shirt designed by his children to live his pageboy life. Lucy...Jon and Kate you have some explaining to do and now you will do it in court.

July 15, 2009 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mel Danby

I saw some sort of trouble coming for Jon, Kate and their family, never this, this is awful for their little ones, but something had to give on the full time joy ride that was their lives. Even going back to the "renewing" of their vows in Hawaii – was that just for the ratings and so they had one hell of trip out it too!!!!

June 25, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. liz markus

Kate is one of the poorest examples of a wife or mother.
    I really feel the show is such a fraud and she has definitely had her "hand out" for Herself, for Her book.

That is not the correct pronoun used for a "family". She may find men to come in and out of her life, but only a dad that loves his kids would consider being with Her and 8 children that are not his.

This show is on the level of Dog the Bounty Hunter whose family have all bee "outlaws" , do not respect other races, and prays in a circle even though they shout profanities which disgrace God's name.

This show is a sham and so is Jon and Kate. Those who feel the same should send messages to TLC's president who is even considering continuing this sham featuring the woman who is the center star of HER show, of HER book sales, of HER family.

What goes around, comes around and when all of them hit adolescence or probably before, the children will not come out of this with respect for their "MOMMY DEAREST"!!!

June 25, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. A J

JON AND KATE need to get a grip and step back, they keep saying its all about the kids, if it truly is then they need to get it together and suck it up and learn to communicate and get along. Jon needs a backbone and Kate just needs to be quiet for awhile. What a way to screw it all up.

June 25, 2009 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Priscilla

Enough already ! These children are continuously in the spotlight and that is not at all healthy. Let them live their life in the "real world." That in itself is hard enough.The parents obviously like and want the money. Their priorities are completely out of balance.

June 25, 2009 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Helen

The show became all about Kate! She is a diva.

June 25, 2009 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. NM Grandma

Jon and Kate Plus 8 has been one of my favorite shows ever since I saw my first episode. However, I felt so much pain (Kate) and disgust (Jon) while watching their splitsville episode that I can no longer bear to watch this show. It will never be the same again.

June 25, 2009 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  9. Dale

well by the time this gets to court Jon will have nothing Kate will make sure of that.
    I hope they show videos of who got up in the morning with the kids and who stayed in bed. Lets face it the marrage was doomed from the start even then kate never like anything jon did his family her fmaily. I beleive jon went along with everything for the money too but just wanted to end the lie with kate. being the 9th child and missing his 20 he isn't going to miss his 30ties too. still would like to know what jon did that was so bad that when kate came home from her hiding play she filed for divorce because of jons actions. for the safey of her kids
    the carmras were there all week end if something was that wrong they would have had it on film. why aren't the camera finding kate. they always seem to know where jon is.
    kate changers her stories to much. and I think it was a shame telling about the two 8 year oldsMatie has time with kate and the bodyguard of corse she isn't surprized still a brad but kate fav
    but in the end I think will still be a good father

June 25, 2009 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mary Jane

Like TLC really cares! This is what sells and they know it. But they have to pretend like they care otherwise they will lose one of their top-rated shows. This applies to all of us, if we really care we'll stop watching, this will force these selfish parents to get back to reality. Although I have to say the only thing John is guilty of is not standing up for himself from this crazy woman.

June 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Blueroses28711

I agree with all of you~~~ I thought about the children today...talk about isolation.....how can they even be allowed to watch TV now or go by the checkout stands at ANY store with their parents all over the covers of the magazines? It appears that the parents have already isolated extended family members-siblings-parents-cousins-grandparents who might have been a good support system for all 8 of the children. I don't want any part of it any more. It isn't fun now....it is beyond sad and for what...?....money.....go figure.

June 24, 2009 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JRoss

"To divorce without separation or even months of counseling just shows they are both quiters!" It takes two to tango and if one of those people doesn't want to be involved in the marriage anymore you can't force them to go for counseling. Regarding the criticism of Kate – good luck to anybody trying to organize 8 kids, multiplies at that, on a daily basis plus deal with a guy who can't seem to put two cohesive thoughts together without direction. Oh, and not to mention he cares so much about their marriage and their family – HE'S WENT OUT AND SCREWED AROUND... What a great guy, makes perfect sense, maybe if she hadn't been so hard on him it wouldn't have happened... Give it a rest – lack of character is lack of character and once a cheater always a cheater. He couldn't handle the fact she had her own life in terms of being lucky enough to enjoy writing and public speaking. He went out and got a little on the side to make himself feel better. What a pathetic little boy. It's a good thing she's got the drive and ambition to be a successful woman in America cause it sure ain't gonna be playboy putting the 8 kids through college.

June 24, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dan

They are the epitome of most US couples..let the show go on

June 24, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Twyla

I have watched the show from the beginning. I see how the family worked together. I could have not have managed that many kids with the organization as the Two of you did. I see the children love each other very much, and to see your family fall apart because of the tabloids really just sucks. It all most just makes me mad. It is nice that your children will stay in the home you built for them. It just can't be that ,with all that love for almost 10 years that your marriage couldn't be saved with may be some councilor to help. take time away and may be you could fall back in love. I hope the best for your family what ever happens. good luck. I take my hat off to both of you for doing the most wonderful job with your children. Twyla from Council Bluffs Iowa

June 24, 2009 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lynda

TLC should act responsibly and shelve this show. This family has paid the price of celebrity and they should deal with the fall out privately. It is so very sad that this family has become another statistic. Please TLC do not make episodes that deal with “the separation” or other personal matters that should be dealt with away from the media.
    If Dr. Phil gets involved, I hope it will be private. This situation does not have to be lived out in public, there is nothing further to learn. Have we not seen enough “celebrity break-ups”? If Jon and Kate continue to go to the media, they can only blame themselves for further problems that their children will have to live with.

June 24, 2009 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jan

After TLC airs the "recap" highlight show next week, the show should be canceled.

If Jon and Kate really wanted to do what was best for thier kids, they would have stopped filming, separated, and sought counseling while have some time and distance between them.

Since they don't seem to have done that, TLC should pull the plug. The show which was once endearing has sunk to ugly voyeurism of a dysfunctional couple. Is that really entertainment?

June 24, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Regina

For me the original interest was the fact that I was going to be a new mom of one child and it made me feel like I could handle it at 36 when I watched them. It made me feel like my situation was easy – and it was compared to them. But then all that drama!

I won't make comments on them personally as I don't really know them of course...it is just a show even though they make it somewhat realistic in some ways. But it just seems strange when they say they have "grown" in different directions when they talk about their kids being their life – it just seems like it would be pretty hard to grow in different directions with EIGHT children – that should pretty much take up the majority of both of their time. Perhaps Kate wants more fame and money then John – not sure – but I think if they really think about moving into their own places, plus keeping the house for the kids and switching it up – what I crazy life – and it would be pretty hard in the long run to bring another person into that mess. It doesn't seem like they really pursued counseling which I think would be in their best interest. If everything they do is for those kids (which I don't completely believe – they seem to be enjoying the perks too), then the most important thing is to have a family that is together – so they need to get off the show and go to counseling and figure things out. That is the best thing they can do for their kids.

June 24, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. John Charles

End this show now. This is horrible for the children.
    And, Jon and Kate are showing so much immaturity. To show their care for the children, they would have at least stopped the show and entered couples counseling and separated but not filed for divorce. They have appeared to be unwilling to do any of those things.

June 24, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. melissa

First of all, they wouldn't have been famous had they not had thousands of viewers. I watched one of the first shows until I found out that she had her self implanted with a litter of children and then said it was in "god's" hands. It can't be both, science or god. I suffered 3 miscarriages and a tubal pregnancy, but still continued and now I have 4 children. That is leaving it upto "god". Kate and Jon are no different than "octomom", women are not meant to have litters of children, and then to exploit that is ridiculous. Take the damn show off the air, make them work real jobs for their income. I know I don't get paid to raise my children.

June 24, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  20. angi

okay I have stayed out fo this whole thing but enough is enough. How long does anyone think that marriage would have lasted with 8 kids and Jon barely making an income all squeezed into that little house. Money may not be everything but it is sure easier to raise kids with it. Those "cute" babies were going to grow up and with no money they would have no chance of pursuing individual interests. Jon was not goign to be any better father cause they were broke and unknown. He would still be "32" and have too many kids. You all need to give Kate a break. She is providing for her family.

June 24, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Momof3

Well for starters, the show should STOP! To keep it going will only tell other married couples that when the "going gets tough, just split". When the going gets tough, is when you should step back, make some changes and ask for help. Not once has anything been written about Jon and Kate seeking Christian marriage counseling! To divorce without separation or even months of counseling just shows they are both quiters! They both have their faults, as do we all. You must repair yourself before you can repair your marriage! It appears to me that through the shows, they LOST who they were together; what made them a couple. When you get married and especially have children, your life isn't always about what you want individually, it's more of what is good for "us". The Bible says the woman leaves her mother and father and cleaves to her husband.

Decisions have to be made first with the adults in mind and what is best for them. When those decisions are prayed over and decided then it will be what is best for the kids! That is just how God works! I think the media needs to BACK OFF and let be. I feel they have done enough damage in their marriage. A marriage should be Jon-GOD-Kate; and PLEASE note who I put in between the 2! Not the media, TLC, books written, or others of the opposite sex! Jon and Kate need time to find who they are together again and in order to reach each other, they must go through the loving hands of GOD Himself! (refer to the order again; Jon-GOD-Kate). They need to get some counseling, and cut ALL ties to anyone who may jeopardize this; including the media, show, friends, etc and surround themselves with praying friends that want the best for them and their children.

Jon and Kate, start with prayer for yourself and for your spouse, which is so very hard, I know this first hand!

I am just one person, but I know how hard a divorce is, and don't wish it on anyone! Guess GOD does know what is best! The above are all the reasons why!

June 24, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Shay

Yes, this is too late. Should have taken a hiatus when all of the rumors started coming out about Jon and Deanna, especially since it ended up being true (and Deanna will be featured in the show)!

June 24, 2009 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Joanne

It should shut down PERMANTELY! This scam has gone on too long, and Jon and Kate should be sued for Fraud and have to give all the money back. They are truly disgusting people, and I feel so bad for those poor kids. They lose any way with Kate as a "mother". Ugh!

June 24, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  24. donna

Why are they going to continue to tell their story? Havent they done enough?

June 24, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |