June 22nd, 2009

Jon feels liberated

Jon says he feels like he has let Kate run over top of him, and now he is standing up for himself.

I applaud him for that, but you wonder if he's bringing up Kate and downplaying the role the show has played in their troubles.

I can't imagine how it must feel to have photographers and cameras tracking your every move. I've certainly said a few things to and about my husband that I wouldn't want to be chronicled and I am sure he feels the same.

Jon portrays their marriage right now as two people just living in a house together. That's messed up.

Kate appears to be the most vunerable I have ever seen her. Jon just seems like he is over it.

Filed under: Jon & Kate Plus Eight • television

Next entry »
  1. Virginia Fadal

Good for Jon,Kate has treated him like a dog long enough! I feel very sorry for the children but Kate is to blame for what has happend!
    How in the world can you treat a man like he's just one of the kids and expect him to take it and be happy.

Kate is a mean control freak and deserves to be alone. The kids i really feel for but it's Kate's fault!

September 9, 2009 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. Margaret Mccoy

I think jon just dont know whats he want in life. I mean hes always doing something. That is messed up howi he is doing her. I really feel sorry for her and the kids. It taks a sick man to go and do what dhe did. And know saying he only see's tham in stayin g in an house together i mean come> He thinks he's all happy now well just wait when he wants to work it out or see the kids they want be know where to be found.

July 13, 2009 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

Problem is Jon found some cute little chick to make him feel like a Man! Kate didn't have the time to stroke his ego & tell him how wonderful he is. She's been taking care of Both of thier Kids. They are not just her's. How long will it be before Jon realizes his little playmate just wanted his part of the money? How long before he realizes the little girl is useing him and it's too late for him and Kate?

Some day his kids will be old enough to figure it out and he will know the pain he is now causing Kate.

Good Luck Kate... I promise you are not the first or the last spouse to go thru this. Jon has no idea how this is going to effect his kids...especially the girls. Little Girls idolize thier daddy until they discover he has feet of clay. This will effect how they feel about every man in thier lives.

June 24, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sal

Maybe Jon's passive personality living with Kate's OCD would have been fine if it hadn't been televised and had so many people questioning his manhood. Don't we all know couples like that who thrive? It did seem as if he was trying to get out of the tv situation earlier. If they even had kept jobs and stayed in a real family home (since there are middle class Americans who live in regular sized houses), they would have not had time to think about themselves so much. What marriage is easy? Think about couples who face real life troubles and survive. The series was special when it was about a regular family trying to survive. Now it is just one more celebrity drama. Most disappointing is how dramatically fame changed them. The children grew up, but Jon and Kate changed the most– they left behind their friends and family, morals, faith. It's too tragic– I'm done with all reality shows because they only ruin lives.

June 23, 2009 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lisa

Jon could have stood up to kate without a divorce. I think he wants out and is enjoying his new "celebrity" – I think it's a shame for the kids and sad that John doesn't seem to broken up about it. You wanna bet that Kate is the one that spends the most time with the kids in the future -while Jon is out with his "fans". seesh

June 23, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jan

Lots of people get married too young and then find themselves growing apart in their late twenties or early thirties. Personally, I don't think most people REALLY know who they are before around 28 so how could they really know another person? In this couple's life they had 8 kids already!

Let's hope they both can find out who they really are, what their values really are, and be true to themselves so they can continue to be good parents.

I was really sad to see that the divorce had been filed at the end of the show. When they said they were separating I was hoping that would be followed by " and engaging in marriage counseling..." Too bad for them all.

June 23, 2009 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. Melodee

I imagine Jon is glad that he will not have to listen to Kate constantly putting him down. The show should have been titled the Kate is right all the time show. And if I have to hear Kate say actually one more time then I will vomit, actually.

June 23, 2009 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. bangbang

Kate is a pain and Jon is about 17....
    Even if the way Kate was portrayed on TLC
    was correct then Jon is a very weak excuse for a man.
    A man is strong when he has to be and stands up for
    themself and his family. For all those Kate haters Jon is
    the one who cheated, he is the one having an early midlife
    crisis and they both should get help before calling it a day.

June 23, 2009 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. AS

They should have split long ago- never stay together just for the kids. Glad he's finally standing up to her- he is a human being, and she has never treated him as one. Free Jon!

June 23, 2009 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  10. John

There are a lot of people who claim to have a true faith in God. But when people who claim to be followers of Christ get divorced, they show that they have little to no understand of God's true love for us.
    I would like to label divorce as a hate crime. You promise to love someone, then later turn around and say that you don't love them.
    That is hateful.

June 23, 2009 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. DYLAN RIVIS

Ever since I've watched the 'show' I've not liked how Jon is with his kids. he has always seemed to me to be rough with them, offhand and not that affectionate or attentive. And now, suddenly, he maintains his kids are the most important thing in his life ? Sounds like he feels a cold draught in his life. Too little too late.

The kids also seemed to me to be developing into a bunch of noisy whiners.

I found Kate to be a classic control freak, freely disrespectful of Jon, a bullying cold schoolmarm type and , as with the birthday party, more interested in fulfilling plans to the 'T' than truly having the kids enjoy themselves. Did you notice how all the other kids' parents hung around on the fringe of things at the party ?

On the issue of the location for the kids' houses. I lived through this kind of crap. I spent 15 years rebuilding our house. I tried time and again to enlist my ex wife's involvement but she wasn't able to go through the occasional 'sticking point' as a normal part of the creative process. So I had to continue. Eventually, after 15 years of building AND working as full time job she decided she wanted a door through a wall that had all the major 220 volt power lined running through the space !!

Bottom line in the Jon and Kate + 8 saga...the show was a dumb idea to start with the outcome almost guaranteed !

June 23, 2009 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dadoo

It's not about you, Jon. It's not about you, Kate. It's about the 8 children. Neither one of you get it. Chuck the show and work on your marriage for the sake of the children. Even my kids recognize that (ages 11 and 12). Both parents need to grow up and be parents. Every marriage has bad times, mine included, but you work through it and give the kids the feeling of no matter what, the family comes first.

June 23, 2009 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. reallyladies?

I like how all the women who watch the show are all backing Kate pretty much blindly. Jon has taken a beating for a long time, and he finally said enough is enough. He has been there the whole time Kate has been seeing the dollar signs taking care of the kids while she is away promoting ridiculous books that she did not even write. I'm not that shocked though, no matter what he does middle aged women who have nothing better to do will find a way to make him out to be the bad guy (oh no he has ear rings!!!)

June 23, 2009 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. kt

While they both had a part in creating distance in their relationship, the saddest thing is Jon just chose to check out of the marriage instead of working on it. In the typical American style he took the easy way out that means finding a younger and carefree girlfriend to build up his ego and tell him what a mean person his wife is. Too bad Jon didn't use his new backbone to work out his marriage and try to keep the family together AND let Kate know when he feels his manhood is being compromise with her direct orders all the time. Kate seems like she wants to work on the marriage now that she has an eye opener. Too bad Jon is off to leave his full time responsiblity of having a large family behind and become a weekend Dad instead. No one said marriage was perfect or easy. It has a lot of ups and downs and a lot of work. Jon is just another lazy coward when it comes to marriage.

June 23, 2009 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. TCW

Jon. Grow a pair. Kate. Give John his boys back. TLC. Stop the show. CFS. Go take the kids and give them to a family that will love them, not make them in to an income stream.

June 23, 2009 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  16. Bob

In short, I have always seen Kate as a bitch, someone who likes to emasculate others to feed her ever growing ego. If I were Jon, I wouldn't tolerate her constant chain jerking bull either. Infact, my wife never talks to me the way Kate talks to Jon. We have a mutual respect for eachother, something that Kate clearly does not have for Jon. The difference here too is that Kate wants attention. She craves it. Not only has she continued to exploit her own children for money (of which he has ALOT), but she pretty much forced Jon's hand. This whole thing has been one big circus and I think Jon is finally going to put it to an end.

June 23, 2009 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  17. B

I can't believe that people cannot see the truth of these two people. Anyone who thinks that Jon was the one being the bad guy tonight must not have been watching the same show I was. Did you not listen to how differently they spoke about their family and their divorce?! Every chance she got, Kate berated Jon, blames Jon, made fun of Jon. She referred to the kids as "my" kids. And I can't count the number of times she used the word "I". She went on about their lives as if Jon did NOTHING. Jon always used "us" and "we". He spoke of "our" kids. He took blame for himself where it was warranted and beyond that he kept his mouth shut. He was not trying to blame Kate for their problems.
    For those of you have labeled him an adulterer and an abandoner, you have no idea what the real story is. You have no idea what the terms of their relationship have been. And in case you weren't listening, they are bother going to switch on and off looking after the kids. He is taking responsibility for the choices he's made. That doesn't mean he can't look forward to having the opportunity to make some new choices now that he knows what he wants out of life.
    I am just so sick of the men (and this man in particular) being vilainized for what is obviously a complex – and mostly unknown to us – situation. I'm sure Kate loves her children, but right now she is speaking in acting in a way that indicates far less maturity and respect than Jon seems to possess. Acceptance of the end, and relief over the end of something difficult and painful is not immature or a cop out.
    And BTW, I'm a woman, for all those people who were going to claim I must be a man backing up his "brother".

June 23, 2009 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  18. Mimi

Responding to Jackass' comments: You are right on! And TLC, you are such schemeing producers to get this episode out there this weekend. Shame on you! Yea, we all know and agree it is about the children (whether you have 1, 4, 6, 8, or more). The parents do have to sacrifice a lot for the family. Fortunately, J&K (Jon & Kate) have helpers and TLC staff to help out. I really, really wish they would go on a short break together. Maybe to a 4 day weekend workshop handled by their religous faith. Totally get back to their foundation. There has to be a middle ground on this issue and I, personally, believe that the workshop – even let TLC film – could help a lot!
    These kids absolutely need to be taken to a therapist, and let's slowly begin the dissolution that J&K want to happen.

Good luck to the

June 23, 2009 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  19. sweet memory

video of how they met and how all this began...

June 23, 2009 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  20. Jifaner

The people saying they hope he gets custody clearly don't watch much. He doesn't want custody. Haven't you heard? He is YOUNG. This is a new beginning and he is EXCITED. Because he is YOUNG. (Insert eye-roll here). He said he has been staying away from home longer and longer on purpose to prepare for separation. He doesn't want to be responsible for the day to day. He wants to be there to be the "fun dad", and then go back to closing down bars and running around with girls a decade younger than him.

June 23, 2009 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  21. john

whats up with Jon and his new ears being pierced. That has got to be the most funniest thing I've seen i guess Kate didnt allow Jon to have them now thats he's taking a stand "its jons way". I'm a male and all i keep hearing from these 2 morans is that my kids are number 1 blah blah blah. THEY BOTH WANT THE MONEY. I hate siting here reading comments from people about these 2 idiots. Worry about your own lives and the economy that we live in and not these two.

June 23, 2009 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  22. Pathetic

Jon said himself he's excited to move on. I see women everywhere taking aim right now. He had them all fooled until he said that. Buddy, not the way to prove your manhood.

June 23, 2009 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  23. Sarah

Do people not remember how Kate emotionally/physically abused Jon for the 5 seasons? She was the one who encouraged him to get a hair transplant because she did not like the way he was aging. She was the one who mocked him for gaining weight when he was working full time to support the family. And don't even get me started on her 'love taps that sometimes crack.' If any man were to treat a woman the way she treated him, he would undoubtedly have legal action be taken for him. It is a matter of respect, and Kate is lack it (along with grace, class and dignity) in every facet of life. I say good for you Jon! You got out of an abusive relationship before it was too late and ate your spirit whole.

June 23, 2009 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  24. emme

I'm not buying Kate's I'm the victim act. Will not watch the show .

June 23, 2009 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  25. Lynn

Jon feels liberated because he has stepped out of the box of his marriage. He is "excited" because he has wanted his freedom for some time. Kate has been rude to her husband on public television...but what was behind those rude remarks for Kate has more than likely been an island of lonliness...no support...and knowing (long before the TV world) that her husband and the father of their 8 children needed time alone. Whenever a man states that he just needs to be alone for a while...it means that he wants to be with another woman. Jon does not have the maturity to be a husband and father of those darling children. Kate is visibly devastated because her "love" in the relationship was real...although tested I am sure!
    Be well Kate...your love for the children will overcome and lead you to a new and happy place! You hurt because you can love!

June 23, 2009 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  26. Kimberly

you guys act as if this is the first divorce to ever happen. What makes you think these kids will not receive the attention and love they need from both parents because they are split up. Its just so happen this is happening on tv. look around you, worry about your life and just pray for the Gosselins. People in glass houses should not throw stones. Kate may be this and may be that, but she is providing for her family. If this means providing by doing these shows you guys think "hurt" the kids so be it. I do not see where its hurting them. What about those foolish parents on 18 and counting. Do you think they are doing this for free?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If she was on welfare people would talk about that. Leave the family alone and pray for their well being.

June 22, 2009 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Donna

I must say we humans always bring misery upon ourselves, never knowing when to be thankful for our blessings, or working things out with the one we married. I have an Aspergers son and anyone out there dealing with autism spectrum issues, or even other health issues would give anything to have not one but eight healthy kids. I sometimes look at all eight children and think that it would be easier to raise them rather than my one son. I think the show should go off now for it is not the show I originally watched. Jon did show his selfish side tonight, but he lost his identity when the show was a hit and he didn't have to go to his job anymore. Any one could see that he felt like his life was eclipsed by his children, but then again so has mine and I don't have a mansion or tv show , nor would I. (Well maybe a mansion would be nice.)

June 22, 2009 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Cal

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no sympathy for these two people!
    Just for the innocent children. When you put money and wanting
    to be famous, ahead of family, you are nothing but selfish!.. I really
    hope having the "free" vacations, plastic surgery, hair transplants,
    cars, big house is all worth it to you. PLEASE, Cancel this god-awful
    show! It has brought only sadness and hearthache to the ones who
    have been nothing but a "paycheck" for their parents; the children.

June 22, 2009 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Kevin

If half of you were in the same situation, you would act like Jon. And also, do you watch the show? She's a witch to him and won't let him do anything....oh and the show is continuing, after last year Jon said he wasn't sure he wanted to do it because they have no privacy, but yet Kate likes it...She's a reality bimbo, and taking her kids through it now...it's all about the money....yeah Jon isn't completely scratch free, he had a part...but he needed to get away from her, she was always rude to him and you never got the feeling she respected him. I'm glad for him, and now you will see the kids and Kate on TV cuz she likes the spotlight and money

June 22, 2009 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  30. ab

jon was kicked around for years, i'd divorce her too.

June 22, 2009 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  31. amy

I am a mother of 3 (a set of twins included). Why would anyone turn their children into commercial items like these 2 people. Why do people even watch these types of shows? Is anyone still wondering what drove the octo-mom to do what she did. Are there no legal implications of using babies and kids as breadwinners. I never watched any of the shows, not even 18 and still counting. I think people should boycot these shows that demean and USE children and send TLC a message.

All the parents that do these are just plain greedy. They should go get regular jobs like the rest of us do.

June 22, 2009 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Tanya

POOR POOR JON, PLEASE! give me a break.
    Kate is the strong one here. Jon is a weak, stupid,lazy man that probably would be anything without Kate. He probably couldnt hold a job for more than 6 months. Go find yourself Jon, and find out how tough the world is without the person that has been taking care of you all this time.

June 22, 2009 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  33. jonftw

woohoo go Jon.

June 22, 2009 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  34. kacky

These blogs should be erased and you people should be ashamed of your critical ways. This is a sad day for their whole family, and its even more sad that our society has come to this kind of involvement in other peoples lives. Get lives!

June 22, 2009 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Suzy

What I see is two people who made poor choices and it cost them their marriage. However, cameras or not, I believe most children would rather be FROM a broken home than living in one.

June 22, 2009 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  36. kacky

Dont judge Jon and Kate if you dont know their whole story. By the way isn't on TV.

June 22, 2009 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  37. PJ

More lives ruined by show business and tabloids. As a father of four children, I know how hard life can be, add 4 more children, a camera crew, paparazzi and tabloids and a marriage is doomed.

I hope everyone got their cheap thrill watching a marriage and family disintegrate before their very eyes.

Sad.

June 22, 2009 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Mam

I haven't watched tonight's episode yet but I have to say I am getting tired of a lot of people blaming Kate and patting Jon on the back for taking a stand. It's written that Jon was a henpecked husband. Perhaps he was but that was by his own choosing. If he didn't like the role he was playing in their marriage he should have taken a stand and done so long ago. They have been married ten years so, I can't believe that Jon is just now realizing how Kate is. I think I recall reading that he said he hadn't signed up for this. Well, actually you did, Jon. You signed up for it when you took your wedding vows and you signed up for it when you decided to take on the responsibilities of a father. You may not have planned to have eight children but eight is what you were blessed with. I, by no means, think Kate is perfect. I think Kate is a strong-willed woman. Maybe if Jon had taken a stand years ago, stood up for himself and been as strong a man as Kate is a woman things might have worked out differently. In some ways I think Jon is a coward who is taking the easy way out. To me, Jon seems extremely selfish and as if he can't be bothered with all the responsibilities that he signed on for. He now feels liberated? Sure, if I did not live up to my responsibilities, dumped my wife and eight kids so I could go snowboarding and drinking with the girls whenever I wanted I'd feel rather liberated myself. It's too bad Jon didn't man-up earlier and try to salvage his marriage and family. They, quite honestly, don't seem as important to him as his "liberation".

June 22, 2009 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  39. larry

good for jon. run like hell!!!!! go get your post-divorce sex on!!! when women take advantage of a man for her gain, this is the result. it's kate's fault.

June 22, 2009 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  40. jeilshn

yes, here's what happened:

1.Kate went to Jon 6 months ago and said the marriage was over.
    2.Jon was devastated.
    3.Kate was screwing her bodyguard during this time, which Jon didn't know.
    4.Jon picked himself up and began carrying on an affair with a 23-year-old woman, as Kate had said he could do as long as he continued the show.
    5.Kate gets DUMPED by the bodyguard over a period of weeks – a gradual 'sloughing off' by him...
    6.Jon is now involved with someone else and 'over' Kate and her B.S.
    7.Kate is 'devastated' because now the bodyguard has dropped her and her husband no longer wants her.

Mystery solved from someone who knows. No need for thank-yous. ;)

June 22, 2009 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  41. BB

der... kate told jon they could lead separate lives as long as the show stayed on... at that point they should have gotten a divorce instead of waiting until now. part of me wonders if kate told him that just to set him up so she'd have a valid reason to divorce him (infidelity). jon was the surprised one, but i think he should have seen it coming. nothing good can come of your wife telling you to sleep around. i'm glad their kids are set for life with their 40 new episodes coming, but there had to have been a better way to do this. two different people indeed.

June 22, 2009 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Penny

This whole thing is sad. but he said maybe someone would offer him a job. well jon sometimes you have to go out and look for one. Its not all kate's fault . be a man and wake up someday he might wake up and see that he just need to show he is a father and a husband ( at the time ) and speak for himself. Job do not get offered out of the sky you have to go and look for one.... seem he is looking for his own 15 mins of something without the family with him... ( i am watching this one) . without the kids and the cuteness of these kids there would be no show. but its true. its time to let it go..... people are done with it....... I for one is going to do them a favor and stop watching..

June 22, 2009 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Sherilyn

Jon is so immature!!! No matter how "awful" Kate has been to him, it does not justify him leaving the commitments he has made to this woman and these children. Everything he said tonight was about himself..."I'm not happy, It was fun to go four wheeling, I'm excited for this new chapter of my life" (never mind the 8 children you are leaving behind!). For goodness sakes, grow up, get counseling, learn to communicate and to be a man. Do not abandon those kids!!

June 22, 2009 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Judy

The few times I have seen the show, Kate seemed to be very bossy. A type A personality. Jon seemed to be more laid back, but there is only so far you can push a person before they either push back or just get out ot the way. I figure he just got out of the way.

June 22, 2009 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  45. kyna

I tried watching this show when it first started and I seen how Kate treated Jon . It was too painful for me to watch . I really thought she treated him like a child, not her # 1 man (her equal) the love of her life. It was truely a sad thing to see right off the bat .He didnt try to stick up for himself and tell her it wasn't okay to treat him this way. It's too bad he didn't challenge her behavior because if we marry someone I think dealing with these problems together makes the relationship stronger. BUT they didnt choose to work on it , so I believe Jons passive personality will follow him in all his relationships and he probably will never be happy until he works on himself and realizes he has a voice and deserves respect . Kate on the other hand, I feel badly for her too because she obvoiusly has some control issues to work on too. It's too bad she didnt see how unhappy her husband was.

June 22, 2009 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  46. John

I'm happy for Jon leaving a verbal abusive relationship. He damn sure tried to be there for his family, but after all of the humiliating digs from her, all the time, it was time for him to do what is best for him. Of course, he's going to have to be there for his children, but you can't stand the person on the other side of the bed, don't just stay there for the kids. The show didn't help matters, but even year 1 of this show, I was saying that he should divorce her and leave her the kids. She's a complete controlling abusive person that deserves what she gets. She never really respected him and made the show all about her. I'm glad he's outta there!
    And at 32, he's still young enough to finally enjoy himself. I have no sympathy for this woman at all. I mean really. All that berating? Nagging? On national TV? He was a man to take it for that long.

June 22, 2009 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Judy in AZ

I was bothered by Jon's reference to being "only 32" as well. He kinda gave up his 30-something claim to youth when they had the 8 kids and surely he had a 50-50 part in that decision. Jon seems a bit lost and in search of something, youth, whatever, and he does not come across well....perhaps the "interview" is not his strong suit. But this "Kate drove him away," "Kate ruled the roost" crap is a bit much. If anyone has really seen the show, Kate was the organizer, scheduler, regimen-keeper, yes, but 8 kids? Someone has to be that person when there are many, many kids in any home and Jon never, from the beginning, was really a multi-tasker. Kate has her faults but I do think that she will be more likely to keep priorities in order and put the kids first. Jon seems to be struggling with his personal needs a bit more than someone with 8 kids really ought to be and that is not Kate's fault.

June 22, 2009 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  48. profguyinmass

Jon is trying to relive his younger days and Kate is doing what 98% of the mothers in America do which is to keep the household running, the kids in school and all the while trying to keep yourself from having a nervous breakdown. If it involves screaming and berating her husband so what? Without her they'd have been a much bigger mess long ago. He's is just another child she has to tell what to do because on his own he can't figure it out. Let's be real people, it's the mom's who do the hard work and the dad's who's job it is to fund it. He sucks. End of story.

June 22, 2009 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  49. RBR Princeton

Jon has the emotional maturity of a 17 year old kid. Of course he is excited; he's abdicated all responsibilities concerning his family by walking away from it. Jon is a selfish, lazy, immature jackass. Walking out on the marriage with all those young children is inexcusable. He should have stayed & worked things out with Kate. He was waaay too immature to have married at 22 & fathered twins the next year.

Kate is a very controlling woman & a born caretaker. She was a Registered Nurse, accustomed to taking responsibility & giving orders. She stepped up to the plate & accepted the fact that the care of 8 children was going to largely fall on her. I think she is a remarkable woman, and the fact that she has not had a total breakdown is amazing. Actually, Kate is much better off without Jon. She grew up, he has not & never will.

The show should be discontinued. The youngest kids are ready for kindergarten in the fall, which would be a good time to sign off. Time to allow all of those kids & their parents some privacy. Go back to work, Kate. Get out of the house & have a little fun.

June 22, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  50. dj

Jon is a jerk and does not deserve the family that he has. Have fun when you disappear into the "normal world", get a real job with real pay and find that you DO have responsibilities after all. BOO HOO you got married so young and never were able to have fun then. Oh, I feel so sad for you Jon. Get a life and grow up! Let's hope none of your kids take after you!

June 22, 2009 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  51. KATIE

NOW JON WILL RUN AROUND AND DO WHAT ALL MEN DO . . . WHILE KATIE IS AT HOME WITH THE KIDS. THE SHOW BETTER BE OFF THE AIR REALLY SOON!

June 22, 2009 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Sherry

MomOfOne – Couldn't have said it better!! You nailed it!! He is a WEAK PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR A MAN!! I HOPE HE CATCHES SOMETHING!! You teach people how to treat you – and for those of you who are long time viewers like me (WERE that is!!), you will know that he has resented the presence of the sextuplets for a long time! He willingly says he only wanted the twins – he acted frustrated and impatient with them often – especially the boys. He wanted to be out acting like an 18 year old frat boy and now he gets the chance. Hope Kate and the kids can move on and she can find a REAL man – one who knows how to stand up for himself and take care of his responsibilities. "Excited" indeed! He is one sick puppy!!

June 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Missy

I don't understand... Jon thinks he's standing up for himself by leaving the situation? Leaving his kids? Shopping for an apartment in Manhattan (which, as we all know, won't fit 8 kids)? Come on, he's doing the exact same thing he always has... He sits there until someone gives him an order. He probably has another girlfriend who told him he had to leave Kate or she won't buy him any beers at their next sorority party at NYU. If he really wanted to stand up for himself, he would TALK to Kate, give her an ultimatum to go with him to counseling and if that doesn't work, then discuss seperating. Instead, he's just excited to leave her, his kids, and his quiet life in PA for the party scene at NYU. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Jon, but most girls want a REAL man, not a poser. They don't want to date a guy who would rather leave his kids behind (but he's probably still going to have to pay child support!). In 15 years he'll probably still be at the frat parties that his sons' are hosting and living off of unemployment.

June 22, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Stefanina

How does this entry possibly pass for journalism??

June 22, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Tina

Why is TLC continuing this show???? The kids are no longer cute and charming and no one wants to see a show about Kate whining about how difficult is it to be a single mother. She has a housekeeper, nanny for the kids, and a cook. Yeah, Kate, what a tough life you're going to have as a single mother. Please Kate, go away!!! You said you won't let anyone take away your "job" of running to book signings and public appearance. You've proved your "job" of wanna be diva is more important that your husband or your kids.

June 22, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  56. rebel

How could anyone watch this 32 year old lame brained, egotistical slacker say he's "excited" at the end of his 10 year marriage?
    He's got earrings, what he thinks are "edgy" clothes, hair transplants (didn't do much good, he's still bald) – and he thinks somehow he's "hot" and all ready to bar hop with some young girls.
    What a pathetic boob!!!

Ya, Kate can be nasty, but Jon's passive/aggressive personality was pretty obvious from the get go - the eye rolling, the uninterested "yayayas" – always looked as if he just couldn't wait to get away from his kids whenever he was doing anything at all for them.
    This guy is the worst case of arrested development I've ever seen – he can't hold a job, never finished anything and runs home to mama rather than have a talk with his wife about how things are spiraling downward in their relationship. If I were Kate I would have been tempted to brain him with the nearest heavy object, not just be impatient with him – he's the dimmest and laziest of her kids.

What a shame to watch this debacle – a grown man who can't confront his wife and tell her what's bothering him, then he takes the cowards way out and sneaks around with young girls who wouldn't spit on him if he wasn't on t.v.

What is he going to buy that condo in N.Y. with – the kid's and Kate's earnings from the show and interviews that she does and he hates so much?
    He's never held a job for long, never finished anything, never grew up.
    What's he going to live on, what could he support the 8 kids on if it weren't for Kate and the show??
    Jon will find himself living under a bridge eventually, just another middle aged, fat, bald slacker who wanted to have a great time – never mind any obligations or supporting his children.
    What a loser - anybody who still thinks this is Kate's fault has a screw lose somewhere and just plain hates women.

Happy Father's Day you slacker, hope your adolescent dreams come true – but somehow I much doubt it.

June 22, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Anna O'Brien

I have so much admiration for Kate......Jon, not so much.

Let Jon go be a frat boy. He made sure to point out "I'm only 32". Wrong Jon, you're 32 with EIGHT CHILDREN.

At least one of them has their priorities strai8ht.

June 22, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  58. momisgrt2

Kate has always been displayed as a strong person and due to soundbites and plenty of ediitng for ratings sake Jon has been portrayed as henpecked and so gentle...bullcrap Jon has a lackluster personality and he should take his earrings out and be a stand up father and husband...dig deep for the fight of your life buddy stop whining you jackass!! I am the mother of multiples and believe me it is stressful...try having all of those lives in your hands, do it well so america doesn't freak out and smile pretty while you get your tummy tucked because thats what everyone wants to see...of course they did not know what they were up against...TLC should respectively cut the contract or america should boycott the show...but then that wouldn't be fun now would it??

June 22, 2009 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Leah Jasper

Jon, whatever happened to your "I'm not going anywhere, I won't leave Kate, she knows I won't and she isn't going to leave me" speech??? My husband is 33 years old. We were married at the age of 19 and had 7 children. Did we get to party and do all the things college students do? No, we didn't, but that's the life we chose. Things got very tough for us when we nearly lost one of our daughters to leukemia. My husband, Jake, said he couldn't handle it, and left. After a few days, he came back, we went through counseling and although it was a long road, we are still here, together. Instead of being excited for a future of living separate from your children and ending your marriage, you should be excited to get help to try to save it. We are very disapointed in you. Someday, you will regret this.

June 22, 2009 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Martha Shiplett

I think that Jon is going through some kind of crisis. I think he feels as though he has lost his identity as a person. I personally think the first mistake he made was quitting his original job. I man without a job is a man who's lost his way. I think Jon saying he let Kate do what she wanted and just sat on the sidelines is false. He agreed to this show and signed his name to the contract, so he needs to stop crying and belaming Kate for everything. I think it was pathetic the way Jon kept saying I'm 32 years old. He acted like he can't wait to start going out and partying. He didn't act as though he was the least bit upset about his 10 year marriage breaking up. I hope if the show continues they go back to focusing on the children and not their problems.

I think Kate has had to be strong because I think Jon is weak. I wish Kate peace and some happiness in the future. I know she will do what is the best for the children. Hang in their Kate!!!!

June 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Ghost of Ithaca

I agree with CHAROLETTESPOON that Kate does have an obssessive compulsive personality disorder( OCPD). Please google and that most individuals with this type of personality disorder are very difficult in personal relationships, especially if he or she does not know or refuse to accept the facts. In Jon and Kate situation, Jon is doing the right things, whether; he knows that Kate has OCPD or not. However, this marriage could have been save if both parties recognized that Kate is OCPD and Jon is passive-aggressive and how to cope with these two opposite personalities. But hey, that another show.

June 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  62. eric

Is he wearing lipstick in this picture?

June 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  63. TW

I don't feel too bad for Jon. He's the one who's thinking of himself. "I'm only 32." What does that have to do with it? So what, you're only 32 so you want to go out and party? You're only 32 and you want more kids? You're only 32 and you want a career? He was a beach/snow bum when they met and still is. It's just now people are watching and criticizing. There has to be another woman – he doesn't have that many thoughts in his head.

June 22, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  64. mary

What a sad situation this has become. I think Aunt Jodie and Uncle Kevin are right when they say Kate went to Jon 6 months ago and said the marriage was over. That he was free to do what he wanted as long as he showed up for filming. I do think she had an extra- marital affair with the bodyguard first. They said Jon was absolutely devastated. Now he's moving on. I hope they get back together for their family's sake.....but I won't be watching anymore. I didn't watch tonight, just read about it. No surprises though.

June 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  65. TommyJohn

He runs out and the first thing he does is get his ears pierced just like a queer...shows a lot of maturity there.

I hope Kate takes him to the cleaners. So what if she is a strong, aggressive, and sometimes bitchy woman, how many of us out here have to manage a house full of 8 young children, and as we have discovered, a child of a husband too; not to mention manage a television show to boot?

More power to her....My bet is John eventually fades away; his real goal being capitalizing on his 15 minutes of fame in the NYC clubbing scene chasing 23 year olds.

June 22, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Scott

Of course he feels liberated. He was married to a shrew. That woman has serious control issues.

June 22, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Tina

How long will it be before Kate and her "body guard" (lover) start becoming the focus of the show.?

I am so glad Jon and Kate are getting divorced. I think this is best for the kids. It's better for the kids to spend time with each parent without having to be subjected to both parents clearly not wanting to be together.

Enjoy your freedom Jon. You've paid your dues being married to Kate and you deserve your freedom.

June 22, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  68. DC critic

Seriously...who'd want to be married to a nit-picking woman with that hideous haircut?

June 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Rosie

Did you notice the earrings on Jon tonight? He is so "excited" to revert back to an overgrown frat boy. Yes, Kate did emasculate him, but he was also implicit. He is angry at her, but he was the one spouse who cheated. Poor Jon? Kate will wake up one day and find a real man.

June 22, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Matt

Jon had a lot to do with the demise of this marriage. It wasn't just Kate "treating him like a dog". He allowed himself to be disrespected and ran over for 10 years and now he up and decides the way that he is going to stand up for himself is to abondon his marriage. What do the vows say? Promise to love cherish till death do us part in good times and in bad in sickness and in health. What a little worm to break up this family so he can be a big boy and stand up to meanee Kate! Yes Kate is overbearing, demanding and bossy. She is the kind of woman that needs a strong man, a real man, not this sniveling little passive aggresive wimp. And Kate, let this be a lesson that you should not speak to your spouse like they are a dog. You knew better girl. They both have contributed to this. They should both grow up, do the right thing, get marriage counseling and start the road to saving this marriage if for no other reason than to honor thier vows and so these kids can grow up in an intact home with thier mother an father.

June 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Ginger

I feel sorry for the kids but it takes 2 to make the marriage work and 2 to let it dossolve to what they have today. Kate is opinionated and a strong minded woman but that is nothing new. If he wanted to put his foot down he would have done it at a point when the family could be saved. Now he has quit his job, gotten hair implants and is hanging out with 23 year olds. They have 8 kids for crying out loud! Grow up! For everyone hating on Kate....come on...all those things I mentioned that Jon has, are because of the show. He has profited as well and still isn't interested in cancelling the show. Poor excuse for a man and good luck to one of those 23 year olds that think they are getting something. Kate isn't perfect but I think we have always known where she is coming from in terms of her kids and her priorities. We may not agree completely but most of us are not dealing with 8 kids to feed, clothe, put through college, etc. and I don't envy them in that.

June 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  72. syl

Where's Dr. Phil when you need him?

June 22, 2009 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Lauren

If you admit that separating will be painful and hard on all eight children- those whom you say are your first priority- why was there no mention (or action) of counseling, couple's therapy, or pastoral guidance to try and at least save the last 10 years and happiness of eight other people? "The show must go on" – why? If you could do anything to save your marriage – leaving the show included – wouldn't you? Or have priorities changed that much?

It's sad that their lives are exposed and the public will judge based on this tv show; a situation they signed up for. What happens when the show ends, because it will.... ? Prayers and best wishes for this family in need!

June 22, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  74. SCNTEXAS

Kate Gosselin tried her best to castrate her husband over the last 10 years. Though I disagree with his choices, he at least managed to find an ounce of testosterone left and say enough is enough.

It's horrible for the children- no doubt. And I feel some tinge of sympathy for Kate. What a life she has ahead of her.

But you cannot degrade and emasculate a husband- especially on national TV.

Frankly- I'm surprised it took John this long to fight back.

June 22, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Erin

I feel so freaking sorry for this family! How can they just give up! Every relationship has their problem and there is a time and a place to work through issues. They needed to pull the show, go to counseling and get back to what made that family great. I know that Kate is not a perfect mother or wife. She obviously knows it to, but Jon is no angel. You need to stand up for yourself and not get steamrolled over. We have to remember that Kate did a majority of the child raising until 2 years ago. It had to be extremely difficult to raise them for a majority of the time by herself. I work 40 hours a week and am raising a one year old with my husband and it's exhausting. What she needed was someone to step up. The point is ... he didn't want to handle his life any more so he got a little friend on the side, pierced his ears (seriously who does that ????) and is leaving his wife to live in NYC. Way to be an active father and live REMOTELY close to your children! Jon – I always felt sorry for you, but tonight you proved you are a douche bag!

June 22, 2009 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  76. kelly

Good. Jon was nothing more than a 9th child.

June 22, 2009 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Candy

Jon should be ashamed of himself. His kids will see this one day and they will think how he gave up his family and was "excited" about it. He is ditching the responsibility of a man to go off and behave like a boy. He is excited to be free to sleep around all he wants to.

Kate seems devastated.

June 22, 2009 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  78. MomofOne

I never thought I would find myself in a situation where I would be sticking up for Kate, but I feel so bad for her. Jon is such a jerk and she deserves so much better – as do the kids. His actions of late have set a very poor example for the kids – especially the boys. He cheated on his wife – then turned around and blamed it all on her and the show. Give me a break. Yes, Kate can be a bit harsh, but he is a spineless, weak little man. Why didn't he tell her YEARS ago about how her attitude was affecting him and seek counseling rather than keeping quiet and letting his resentment grow until he was finally seeking affirmation with a much younger, equally immature woman? He whines about the fame, but seems to enjoy what the fame has done for him (note the pierced ears, new clothes and new car!!). Why is it that Kate is berated for taking advantage of what the show has / can do for them, but no one says anything about Jon's actions? Face it, he is just another immature man going through a mid-life crisis. Kate and the kids will be far better off without him in their daily lives. I give it a year before his involvement with them is down to maybe one weekend a month because he is too busy recapturing his lost twenties (as he recently lamented in an interview – poor baby never got to enjoy his twenties!!). Ugh! Good riddance Jon!

June 22, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Linda

There really isn't a show anymore – viewers will drop like flies- this will be the last year and Jon better get a job. What else is he going to do all day? Kate, too when all the money runs out. They can't keep getting freebies all the way until college.

New Title: Jon and Kate SHARE custody of EIGHT.

I have no intentions of watching anymore. I feel very badly for them, but why didn't Jon pursue counseilng to express all his concerns to Kate? Or vice-versa? He can't wait to get out there and start his life again.

It is so very, very sad. I wonder what they told the kids and hopefully they aren't finding out by watching TLC repeats later on.

June 22, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Melisa

What's with the frat boy look Jon? Earings in both ears? he looks like he's having a mid life crisis already! And he's only 32, as he kept repeating! Sounds like he wants to relive his youth. I'm sure he's out at the clubs celebrating his liberation as we speak.

June 22, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Karon

I think Jon is pathetic! He is a bigger wimp than I ever thought. How dare he hope his children will come to understand. Understand what? That he needs his freedom? It is obvious that out of the 10 individuals involved in this situation he is the only one that is a "little excited" at the same time. I feel like throwing up and hope he gets what is coming to him. First thing we know he'll have some bimbo knocked up and begin a new life that he does not deserve.

June 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  82. sportsmorningnewslive

It's sad to see them split because when the show goes off in a few weeks because of extremely low ratings (which it will) nobody will remember their names in like 6 months. So much for TV celebrities....

June 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  83. William

This wasn't a marriage, it was an enterprise. When the show started becoming a weekly "guest" appearance of A-listers like Ace of Cakes it was no longer about the kids but a product placement. Fame and money corrupt and these two are just the latest victims. Both are self-absorbed and narcissistic. Tonight's episode, stretched into 60 minutes of high paying commercial time was just a reaffirmation of how cute and delightful their children are and how sad and pathetic their parents are. And perhaps what's so galling is that with so much at stake, they appear to have made no attempt anywhere along the line to enlist real help - their base would have rooted for them - because that would at least have made be believe that the kids matter. Perhaps TLC ought to think about its role here as well.

June 22, 2009 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  84. bette

Until tonight's show I had a lot of sympathy for Jon. Now I think he is an irresponsible jerk!!! Yes, kate is controlling and but I"m sure she didn't acquire this trait overnight and Jon sat there for 10 yrs and let himself be controlled. Now, they are ending it without even trying a councilling session. In his words he is "not a good communicator". Maybe its time to learn!!!

June 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Libbe

It's funny, I could never sit through a whole show because there always seemed so much hate between them. Did no one else ever see this? They have always blamed each other for all kinds of things – not a good marriage for years!!

June 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Jimi

"and the show must go on" don't they realise that the only way to fix their relationship and family is by getting rid of that show. This is just plain old greed. Kate's already making a lot of money from her book and supposedly they're worth about 10 mill. How much money is enough?

June 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Jackass

What a wonderful Fathers Day present to America!

You work it out for the kids, you selfish jackass!

June 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Jennifer

The one thing I have not heard asked is have these 2 considered counseling before ending 10 years of marriage?

June 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Carol

yes Jon looked like he was going to get up off that couch as soon as they said, 'cut' and hit the bars!! BUT!! I have also watched quite a few episodes of this show and had to stop because of Kate's abusive behaviour toward him. If she was kind and loving I could even look past the fakeness of her but she is one MEAN broad. Like someone else said, you can dress her up, whiten her teeth and give her a stylist but she needs to be made over from the inside first!! I would be embarrassed for anyone to hear me speak to my husband like that; it is downright degrading. I wonder how the public would have accepted it if HE spoke to HER like that? I think the plug would have been pulled a loooong time ago! I feel sorry for the kids.....we will be reading about their struggles in the spotlight years from now because their parents pimped out their privacy......SAD!

June 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Tina

Congratulations Jon!!!

I hope you have a great life away from Kate.

June 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  91. maria

she may have seemed overbearing but she did say she told him previously to pursue something that would make him happy, get a new career, go to school, etc, he never did anything as so many times happens the wife has to try and make him happy but she said only you can make yourself happy and it seems he just wanted out a long time ago but was too lame to do anything about it but go chasing after younger females and bring them back home while the wife was gone and he has the gall to say he has a lot of anger, sad for the children.

June 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Pam

Please TLC, let them out of their contract so they can work on getting the family back on track. Now those two 9 year old little girls have to go through the emotions of their parents separation with cameras filming everything. They're not even babies anymore, they are just silly little kids, so what's the attraction of the show? They'll be going to school all day soon anyway.

June 22, 2009 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  93. MIchelle

At least this was an episode where the KIDS actually got a freebie for a change.

But, I'm guessing J & K will be back to getting the max amount of toys next week.

June 22, 2009 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Toni

Jon is an idiot! Does he not even realize how stupid, callous and indifferent he appears. What a jerk.

June 22, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Kristy

Honestly, it made me sad. Yes, Kate did walk over Jon in the past, but he should've said something before things got to this point. Now he comes across as so nonchalant that it made my stomach turn. Life will indeed go on, but in the end it is the kids who have a lifetime to deal with it.

June 22, 2009 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  96. mike

First one to drop completely off the tabloid radar screen wins, in my book.

Kate – Jon + 8 + Nine Shrinks = 1 dysfunctional family. They should move in with the Osbournes.

June 22, 2009 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  97. chris

Who would blame him whith that nagging wife and 8 kids good for you jon!!!!!!!

June 22, 2009 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Melanie

If Kate was as committed to her marriage as she would like us to believe, there wouldnt be a show on now. Jon didnt want to do this 5th season, and she did. Obviously neither one of them care about what the other wants. I feel horrible for those kids.

June 22, 2009 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Greg

What is amazing to me is that none of you have your own lives and are living your lives through some stupid TV show. Get a life people!

June 22, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Albert S.

Because I was not able to have children and worked to provide a safe environment for little people in my career choise "educator", I feel Jon will understand that he needs to continue standing up for himself and his eight children. Why? Kate went Hollywood a long time ago.

June 22, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Leyla

I agree with Kathy. John sounds like he has been liberated and freed from the evil "Kathy" and ready to start a new fresh chapter in his young ol' age of only 32 !!

I hope John realizes that even though that he is splitting from Kate this will not mean the paparazzi will not follow him. His life will never be the same. And I really believe the paparazzi will follow him even more wanting to know who the next woman in his life will be.

Though their separation does not surprise anyone it is still sad nonetheless.

June 22, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Linda

How are they going to survive now that the sideshow is over? How do they dole out the children, do they each get four? Sick, sick, sick.

June 22, 2009 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  103. david

He's in for a rude awakening. Two years from now he will be in a financial mess, possible legal troubles, and these so called younger women will have taken him to the cleaners. They will make Kate look like Mary Poppins. The liberation he feels is in fact a trap. Be careful what you ask for you might just get it. Kate maybe a pain but she is his wife and mother of his children. He needs to grow up but he's going to learn the hard way.

June 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  104. jenn

Kate berated Jon mercilessly on national tv–I can't imagine how she treated him when the cameras were off. If Jon had treated Kate like that, people would not hesitate to call it spousal abuse.

This divorce had very little to do with the show (although it is a terrible thing to do to those poor kids) and a whole lot to do with Kate's vicious, controlling personality. I foresee "Mommie Dearest" tales from those kids someday.

I hope Jon gets primary custody.

June 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Adelynn Rose

After watching Jon and Kate's interview's on tonight's episode, my heart just breaks for that family. All the media attention really has been surreal with this situation and as I sat here and watched this episode I realized, I'm watching a real family being torn apart...it isn't some soap opera like the media has portrayed. Jon feels liberated and I did feel sorry for him when Kate berated him on earlier episodes...but why didn't he stand up to her before. Why did he let the situation continue until their entire lives succumbed to this. I remember an episode when Kate was describing Cara's temperament as being like Jon's...they take it and take it until they explode in a rumble of what's happened over the last week. I wish he would have stood up for himself earlier and not have let it make him feel so trapped.
    Today I felt really terrible for Kate hearing her say that she didn't want to go through this alone. I really feel as though this show has perhaps isolated them...look what it did for Kate and the relationship with her brother. She says it wasn't the show that broke them apart but there is no way that it didn't have something to do with it. There privacy disappeared and that brings stress on a family that is already stressed with providing for multiples.
    I love this show...today, I sat and thought to myself...For the best of this family, it would be best to stop filming. This is slightly a result of a difference in opinion over filming this show. I understand its a big part of their income...but a family that once stated that if this was just them, just the 10 of them in a few years and nobody else was around, then they would be happy. Well I think that would be the case as well. They need to get back to the essentials...away from the media, tabloids, etc...and back to the foundation of their family. I was one that hoped to watch these kids grow up because they are amazing children...but now i believe...for those children and the in their best interest...this show should end.

June 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Greg

LOSERS! It was all about money and greed. 8 kids. People should only replace themselves. Jon, Kate, and the 8 disgust me.

June 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Anthony

I am certain they both went into the TV thing with good intentions but Jon got weary of it and instead of getting empathy from his wife, she became drunk from the movie star life. Her kids and her husband became secondary. He is relieved and rightly so. Now he has to get away and get his head clear while the Alpha of the two Kate can try to wipe that "devastated" look off her face and figure out how to convince the shows producers that she is a viable enough asset for the network. Overall, a modern dramatic tragedy.

June 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Jamieson

Are you kidding me??? Kate deserves EVERYTHING that is coming her way.... The woman does nothing but blame Jon in every single interview, treats him like garbage, has $$$ in her eyeballs every time she shows up in some interview. The woman is the epitome of a harpie! Run Jon run! Ran as far as you can from this life force sucking hag while you are still able to!

June 22, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  109. JM

Oh boo-hoo – Jon was emasculated? He let himself get that way didn't he?

Wow, he is 'excited' to be a cheater? How special for him. She might have been a handful,. but that is where he should have stuck up for himiself and communicated instead of turning inward, and then outward to other women.

People have to take responsibility for their own actions, and for sticking up for themselves.

June 22, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Robert

If Jon & Kate went through relationship counseling as part of the series then we can all learn from this. RM

June 22, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Renee

I just extremely over the COWARDS that walk out on the commitment they make to GOD, for better or worse, especially when NO ONE forced you to make the vow!

I despise cowards....

June 22, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Bill Veik

I don't watch the show, but in observing their behavior the situation looks like Jon feels like he is simply a prop on the stage that is Kate's life. Kate backing the show, even above the kids and Jon seems to support that thought.

I would have had the come to jesus meeting long long ago....

June 22, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Josee

I agree 100% with Kathy... he was shrugging and saying oh well... Kate was devastated... how can you be excited about tearing your family apart... or if you ARE excited you might want to NOT say it to millions of viewers... Jon says he is the best communicator, it certainly didn't show tonight... He kepts saying it's all about his kids, but he looked and sounded like he couldn't wait to go out and party. What a mess. Poor kids.

June 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  114. james

From the outside we all see a guy who has made the hard decision to break up his family, what we don't see/understand is that he's a man who has feelings, is being in a relationship with someone you're no longer passionate about, no longer in love with, is that okay? should we hate Jon for this? or should we understand that he's human and he's realizing that life tucked into the corner of the big sofa is no longer for him. I say good luck, i say screw what people will say, kudos to you for being able to take a shot at making your life happy again, especially in front of an unforgiving television audience.

June 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Becky

I am just so sorry for the kids and for Kate. Jon is just a jerk. I wonder how excited he will be when he is no longer benefiting from all the perks and money the show brought him. Kate and the kids will be fine, Jon one the other hand will be living with Mom.

June 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Toni

Does anyone have a clue what they have told their children?

June 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Sandra

Jon is pathetic. He is a GROWN man sitting on a couch during an interview with earrings in both ears. You CHOSE your life, no one chose it for you. What a selfish child.

June 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Carrie

As a divorcee myself, I can understand the excitement of regaining your own sense of identity again. However, that's something you share privately with your closest friends, and not put out there in a public medium for your children to look at one day and realize what a complete d-bag their father was at one point.

What a shame, that these people can't give up the spotlight and quit their show and instead use the time and energy into going into couple's counseling for the sake of their children.

June 22, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Bob

sure he feels liberated..he is moving to nyc and will be out all night while she raises the kids. what a jerk.

June 22, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Louisa

This entire family is in my prayers, expecially Kate and the children. Jon doesn't seem as if he really cares.

June 22, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Shannon

I agree totally, Kathy. I know that Kate hasn't always been an angel, but tonight has really shown his selfish side. He's now in it for him.

June 22, 2009 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  122. danielle

i agree. he does seem to be over it. but, in my experience some people are like that. you push and push and push them and when they are done, they are just done. and she pushed hard for a very, very long time. she didn't seem to understand how to be loving and how to convey love in her words even when those words are not going to be pleasant on the recipient's ears. i think it is very telling that all she can say is that she doesn't want to be lonely. that is not what your mate is for - just to ensure you are not lonely? i can imagine that that thinking only further reinforces the distant feelings he has towards her at this point. he wanted to be her partner not her dog - to keep her from being lonely. he wanted to be her man.

June 22, 2009 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  123. linda

I will miss this show. I have enjoyed for many seasons. Sad to see them separate.

June 22, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  124. subru

They are driven by greed and have allowed that to ruin their lives and the lives of their children. Those kids may have a lot of things materialistically speaking, but they will never have normal childhoods and will probably have very messed up lives overall. The Dionne Quintuplets come to mind and that was before tabloids, computers, photogs, etc. This whole thing is a train wreck.

June 22, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Lora

The show isn't about the kids anymore. The family has been turned into a corporation and the kids would've been better off if there had never been a show in the first place.

I'm sorry for Jon because I have a feeling that things went beyond his control and I doubt that he had an equal say in it. I hope he can finally have some privacy and can have peaceful visitation with his kids without everything being documented for public consumption.

June 22, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Jeff D.

I agree with Kathy whole heartedly. It sounds like Kate is the victim here of a husband who is going through some kind of mid-life crisis, and doesn't know how to prioritize family over himself. I am sick of how people blame Kate for driving Jon to do this, nobody drives anyone to be disloyal with your wife and family, unacceptable.

June 22, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  127. sparks

I don't care what's wrong in their marriage. They have 8 kids it's time to end the show and pull their family back together for the sake of the kids. They are both extremely selfish they put their kids on tv for their own benefit. I have 6 kids and no twins I know how hard it is and how much time it consumes. You cannot raise healthy, well adjusted children when you put them on a stage for the world to see. I know I would not be able to take care of my children without their father as he couldn't do it without me. And they shouldn't have to be without a parent. If they give a darn about their kids they need to turn off the cameras and raise their kids. But like I said they are both extremely selfish.

June 22, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Surprised

I certainly sympathize that Jon feels verbally and emotionally demeaned by Kate's prior treatment, but something is wrong with Jon saying he is 'only 32' and 'excited' about this new chapter in his life and 'who knows, I might be offered a job'. I don't think with kids and that many years together, that you should be allowed to just chunk it all without taking true responsibility for where you contributed to your situation and give it a geniune effort. I'm surprised that the impression to me is that Jon has not done that and is now 'excited' to walk away. They neither one have that right to do so given that THEY chose to create this family. There may be more that the show can't portray effectively, but Failure is a good word whenever the best effort has not been given. Have they even tried counseling?

June 22, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Kerry

Jon is a CHILD.."I am 32 years old.." he whines like he has not had a life. Well, guess who CHOSE that life, Jon?? Grow up and accept your responsibilities!!!

June 22, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  130. JoAnn

How the heck can he feel liberated, when he has 8 children he needs to be spending time with? I just hate that the show is now about the parents, not the children. I no longer watch it, because it has lost its wholesome, loving, appeal.

June 22, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  131. matt Stevens

does this mean my wife will never watch this horrible show again??

June 22, 2009 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Cest Qui

This is journalism???

June 22, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  133. charlottespoon

The thing about Jon is, he HAS let Kate run over him (at least, in the shows I've seen - no one knows the private story), but that's just the problem. You don't let someone abuse you and then suddenly explode and divorce. In my personal opinion, he should have been standing up for himself gently and with love - but firmly - from day 1. This is called "passive aggressive." They needed to address her OCD, her controlling behavior, etc. a long time ago. He doesn't seem to realize how he contributed to the problem by just sitting back and playing the victim.

My (admittedly not on the "inside" of any of this) two cents.

June 22, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  134. ann

And the Emmy goes to....Kate Gosselin. I'm sorry but I can't work up sympathy for you, you have been unbearably rude to Jon in front of the cameras for all the world to see so I can only imagine how much worse it is behind closed doors. Do I think he is perfect, no, but I'm not buying the "poor me" act you're putting on right now. Just the outfit you're wearing shows how much you have changed during the life of this show. I can only hope you send the cameras out of your life and focus on getting back on track, I'm going to help by turning off TLC.

June 22, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Randy

Oh did I just hear the show is going to go on? My word can them kids be left alone? Is TLC still paying for this show to the point she needs the money more then ever or something? Them kids grew up with cameras all the time, now have to bear them and the fact their parents seperated. Heck what if Jon or Kate decide to "move on" meet someone new, how does that play out against the show?

June 22, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Rob Coleman

Good, now maybe they can focus on their mutal responsibility to the children. Everyone will be better off though it may be a while before Kate can snare another victem...

June 22, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  137. David K.

He cheated on his wife, he deserves no applause.

June 22, 2009 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  138. C.J. Rumney

kate vunerable?? not in her vocabulary. i'm sick of her exploiting her kids for money and fame. PLEASE TLC think of the well-being of these kids for once and put this show out of its misery!

June 22, 2009 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Hilary

Of course he feels liberated. He's going to run off and screw little girls and pretend like he's a college frat boy again instead of a father of 8 children. They are both at fault here but I am sick of people acting like Kate is the only one to blame. To me, he is the one that has brought this about. Instead of being an adult and telling his wife that they need to kick the show and get help, he tried to screw around behind her back. I used to love this show, I watched every episode before this season. Now I can't stand to see what has become of this beautiful family. Those poor children have two messed up parents and my heart breaks for them.

June 22, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Kathy

John just said that this hurts but is exciting and I swear he deserves to be punched in the face. Even if this is a new chapter, you don't say it is EXCITING, there is nothing freakin' exciting about your family breaking up...

I know everyone hates Kate but she looks devastated and John looks like he's getting ready to go party.

June 22, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Bev

Good for JON for standing up to Kate,as he said he was tired of it. He has been henpecked and degraded since this show started, and it is time he stood up for himself.

However, I do hope they both find peace and happiness.

June 22, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  142. DCGirl22

I really hate the fact that Jon dosen't even care that the marriage is over. He was so crude and callous and his lack of emotion only proves that he is happier with other women than being and good husband, good father, and good man. Shame on you Joh Gosslin!

June 22, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  143. JMJ

I've been there myself. You get to the point when you've been kicked down so many times, you don't feel like getting back up any more. There is a liberating feeling when you finally say I just can't and won't take it any more. Fortunately, in my case, we worked it out and made things better, but both sides have to go "all in" to make it better.

June 22, 2009 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Michael

Enough of these two unfit parents. The only thing that is important in Jon and Kate's life is the cash.

June 22, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |