June 19th, 2009

Jon and Kate: Enough is enough?

Is it weird to anyone else that Jon and Kate Gosselin seem to be milking the demise of their marriage? Yesterday there was the commercial for Monday’s one hour special where they will make an announcement. In the commercial Kate teased that, “Recently we’ve made some life-changing decisions, decisions that will affect every member of our family, ones that we hope will bring each of us some peace.”

As if that wasn’t dramatic enough, today they released yet another video in which Jon talks about how much he has changed and Kate is seen crying and talking about how they can’t go back anymore.

It seems to me that they’ve veered pretty far off of their original course, back when the goal of the show was to create priceless memories for the family that they wouldn’t be able to capture on their own.  Something tells me that these weren’t the types of memories they had in mind.

Jon and Kate, maybe it's time to turn off the cameras and focus on the kids.  If your marriage is over, and all signs point to that being the case, you need time to deal and get through it as a family.  You have eight children.  You need to focus on getting them through these tough times. Maybe enough is enough.

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. RogerB

Someday, the lofty words of "putting the kids first above all else" (including their marriage) will come back to haunt them. This is a typical scenario. And the kids that they supposedly sacrified their mariage for will grow up and wise up and question why they did it.

"Ya know, Mom, we kids would rather you had put us off a little more and been nicer to Dad. And Mom and Dad, we might have complained at the time, but golly it would have been better for us if you had treated us as less important than each other.

June 23, 2009 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. Curtis, WI

I've been married for 19 years. It's not easy, and I wish it were. Most times I love my wife, and there are times when I can't stand her. But it's not her that makes me want to help her pack her suitcase, it's her lack of communication. And that aspect of our relationship is repairable, something that we can (and will continue) to work on to make our relationship better/stronger/easier/sexier. And why would we want to make it better? Well, I made a commitment, one that I feel responsible for keeping – we have four children which quite honestly they are more important than my wife or me. Children need both parents – period. I know because my father left when I was 13, and I decided very early in my adult life that I would never leave my children.

It's too easy to write a marriage off and say, "I'm looking forward to the future." Well how about the kids? I may be in the minority here, but I wish marriages would stop being so self-centered and start thinking about the welfare of the kids, not just the husband or the wife. I'm the first to admit that marriage is a lot of sacrifice. Is the sacrifice worth it? Sometimes I don't think so, but when I've calmed down and can see what's the real issue of husband and wife struggles (ours primarily) it becomes more clear that my head is up my rear thinking of MY needs, and not the needs of the little ones I fathered, who haven't a clue about complex adult thinking or irrational behavior on the adult level.

My advice for Jon, and Kate – you're much too small in comparison to your children. Swallow your pride and have some compassion and say "I'm sorry, let's work through this." Say it from your heart, not your head. Stop being so damn selfish! Do you not want to evolve?

June 22, 2009 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Stacy

I have no interest in watching the show anymore. My kids loved the show, but I think it is time to start watching something else. My kids and the Gosslin kids don't need to see what is going on anymore, it is no longer a family show.

TLC, America is disappointed that you would keep dragging this in the public eye. The show isn't even that good anymore, infact, it is rather boring.

June 22, 2009 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Elle

I have watched the show from the beginning, and I always dismissed critics who called her "abusive." I don't think the small slaps she gave Jon, or the tiny spanking she gave Leah were unreasonable. But her TONE is and has been unreasonable, and now I agree, that constitutes abuse. The way she talks to people, including Jon is filled with disrespect and self-entitlement. She needs to look at this.

The worst thing is how Kate hides behind the mantra that she is doing everything for her kids. She is demanding, belittling and always says that her demands or her anger were related to doing what needed to be done for the kids.

Doesn't she realize that the kids will look back at these episodes and see what everyone else sees? An angry perfectionist mother doing what is best for herself and marginalizing the needs of her kids.

June 22, 2009 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joan

Well Jon you really amaze me! Whining because you are only 32 and have 8 kids. So what, deal with it and get on with being a husband and parent. What did you expect marriage to be? Parents all over the world sacrifice themselves for their marriage and kids everyday. You are such a whiny ass self centered person! What are you thinking of sitting in bars with women trying to find yourself? Don't use the excuse 'my wife doesn't understand me'. You're right about one thing though, you are no communicator. So go out there and find yourself Jon, Kate and the kids are better off without you. Such a little boy you are!

June 22, 2009 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Abemom

TLC should cancel the show. They run out of stories. The "reality show" is also a SHOW, that is not life. The Osbornes reality show couldn't run for ever. So long Jon and Kate!

June 22, 2009 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Loretta Worden

Just wondering if Jon and Kate tried to get any sort of help with their marriage troubles before it blew up on them? Seems that would be the thing to do for the children's sake as well as their own. It would at least show that they tried to keep their marriage on track. I do wish them and the children the best of luck in their journey in life.

June 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. What a Wuss

Jon needs to be kicked to the curb. He brings nothing to the table and is a little self absorbed child that has no idea what life back in the real world will be like. Hearing him whine about the papparazzi and being under the microscope that is affording him the lifestyle to which he will soon lose (if Kate is smart and lawyers up properly) is like listening to one of my children cry because things haven't gone exactly their way.

What a jerk!

June 22, 2009 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cheryl, Oscoda Michigan

I think Jon and Kate were probably very much in love in the beginning, but all of the fortune and fame, and the strain of raising so many kids has put a damper on the marriage. And the fact that Jon was spotted with another woman and is suspected of having an affair, didn't help matters either. I think Jon may be the main reason for the seperation, because he appears to be changing. He also now has earing in both ears. And doesn't seem as concerned about the break up as she does. And I think they both lost sight of their love for each other, because their always saying that everything they do is for the kids and the kids only. Maybe they didn't have enought time for just them.

June 22, 2009 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Renee

TLC Exploits Children!

Please boycott the network and their sponsers!

June 22, 2009 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Gigi Wilson

I disagree that the show should be cancelled. I grew up poor and it was a terrible struggle. My parents argued all the time over money, or the lack there of. I was laughed at by my peers and made to feel less than worthy by those with money. Money doesn't bring happiness or solve problems but it makes life a lot easier. I'm tired of people always suggesting women stay home to take care of their husbands and children. Sure, that's the ideal but it doesn't always make financial sense. In this case, they need to do what they need to do to take care of their 8 children! I'm tired of paying so much in taxes so that people can stay home sorting through their problems and collecting money from the government (i.e. me)!

June 22, 2009 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bertie Bassett

Hey, on second thoughts I want to see Kate milk her 15 minutes of fame. Let's get her on Playboy centerfold and then Swimsuit issue of Sports A.

A true American heroine. Send a message to the rest of the world today!

June 22, 2009 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bertie Bassett

Who cares? Why is the junk on TV? Why did they have 8 kids? Haven't they heard of responsible parenting? Send them back to obscurity now.

This has to be the most pathetic of "reality shows" on TV. And that is saying something! No wonder children in the US are utterly witless.

June 22, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Brenda

Jon and Kate,
    How disappointing, both of you need to grow up, and just because you have 8 kids does not mean you are grown up or mature. If this has been going on for a while you both should of been in counselling. Jon you think this is going to be exciting, this is going to be the worst days of your life, women and booze will never be fulfilling or replace your responsibilities. Your kids need you more as they get older than ever before. Don't you two dare think this is what's best for the kids, they need you both and they need you both to make this work, and do whatever it takes to make it work, you own them that, not some house and things or parties, they need you together loving each other and getting along. Kate quit trying to run everything and humiliating your husband, play on his strengths and compensate on the not so strong attitubutes. Jon tell Kate in a civil way how she makes you feel. Please, please, please, get counselling and stay together and raise those gifts from God. Get in a good church, put God first and He will work out the rest. God first Jon, not drinking and partying. God first Kate, not playing the martyr, we have seen your faults too, and you need to own up to them. But what's most important are the kids, divorce or separation is never ever best, you will never be able to give them back a life that only two parents could build.

June 22, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nancy

I am saddened that they did not even consider counseling! Kate said that Jon would not even talk to her about his anger. It sounds as if he just wanted to sprint for the exit without working on the problem at all. A skilled therapist would certainly have been worth the time and effort and they certainly had the resources. If you want to do everything for your children, at least attempt marriage counseling. I am truly sad for all of them.

June 22, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  16. D

How terrible for those kids. If they were really putting the kids first, they would try to work things out and give the kids security in knowing that their family will stick together-I guess it sounds good to say that it is for the kids sake that they are splitting up, but it's absolutely not. It's so sad.
    And if they can't learn to work it out with each other how will they be able to with any other person.

June 22, 2009 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Patt

What a lot of hype. Keep in mind folks all this is bringing in publicity and audiences to a show that was slipping. They may have drifted and the marriage may be rocky but we are talking millions of dollars for two peope that have little more to offer for income except the 8 kids. Audiences will not be interested on their lives separately or dating others and they cannot afford to split. Bet a nickle they decide to try counceling and try to make it work. Audience will love to watch them work out of a troubled marriage. Wake up it is entertainment and big bucks. How else do you think they will pay for the million $ house and kid expense. Working 8 hours a day for a normal salary. No way!

June 22, 2009 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Megan

WITH THAT BEING SAID!!! GOD BLESS THE HARD WORKING MIDDLE CLASS AMERICAN!!! I AM PROUD OF MY JOB AND I WORK HARD FOR THE THINGS I HAVE! I GET SO ANNOYED HEARING ABOUT WHAT HARD TIMES STARS ARE GOING THROUGH, THE ONES GOING THROUGH THE HARD TIMES ARE THOSE CHILDREN! TAKE THE CAMERA'S OFF OF THEM AND LET THEM LIVE A NORMAL HAPPY LIFE, WITH OR WITHOUT MONEY!

June 22, 2009 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Megan

Well personally, I think Jon is right... We spend way to much time thinking and reviewing stars! Why isn't our country more concerned with the REAL world... I watched on the popular t.v show E the other night the Forbes top 100... Our present was paid about 29 million dollars less then Jessica Simpson last year! That is out of control... Movies are movies, music is music... Lets pay those people who are out there getting their hands dirty every day to put food on the table, or the ones who have to save for years to give their family's a nice vacation to Cabo Mexico, lets give a hand and pay ATTENTION to those who work hard for what they have... Instead of caring about JON AND KATE !!!!

June 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kailyn

I tend to think they each have their own faults-marriage is a difficult journey and although they signed up for a tv show to document their day to day lives, I am quite sure they didn't intend on this. Everybody says "Jon is a cheater, Kate is overbearing, oh by the way did you see her hair?" But at the center are eight children in the middle of personality developing years....time to shut off the cameras and start to pick uo the pieces. I am sad for those kids and the media circus it has become.

June 22, 2009 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Ileana

It was sad to seeJon and Kate going thru this situaton. It seems like Jon is taking it pretty well considering. He seems liberated and frankly, kind 'a happy to be moving on to the "next chapter" in his life. Well Jon, hope it doesnt come back and bite you in the bottom someday buddy. Kate is no angel but Jon seems to have been waiting for this day to come. Now that hes got money he seems to be reverting back to his 20's. Money, new car, earrings, motorcycle, ect....To me he's a coward.

June 22, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  22. karen

The child support on that one. The fact they probably won't all stay together. the fact that yes they are raising 8 kids but they are profiting from exploiting their lives...She was very bossy. he was very shy and awkward. Not a great fit. Kate, you get off your butt and move the dogs. Why do you get to sit and direct?

June 22, 2009 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  23. farraway

I'm sad for John and Kate and the kids. Kate wants peace, but did she ever want peace enough to surrender herself? The kids don't have peace with a break up. She and John get to avoid conflict – that's what the split does. That isn't peace. Regarding the crooked houses: I agree with Kate's point about location, but who cares? If you want peace for the kids, let the houses be in the forest. Let John see it isn't working. Let John relocate them if necessary based on his decision to put them way out there in the first place. She put the kids ability to play in them whenever they want over her marriage. What would the kids have chosen... had they known? I realize it isn't one situation, it is all of them, but lay this logic template over all the other disagreements. If peace for the kids is your goal Kate, get real and figure out what it really means. John wants what is best for the kids. Well, he is lying to himself too. The best thing for the kids is for him to remain in the home, love their mom moment by moment and "hang on" until the storm passes. It's not easy. I'm married and there are some pretty hard times. Learn how to communicate. Learn how to set boundaries and lead in a loving way. Practice with each opportunity. It's hard...you are learning. Kate is learning and relearning. It's ok to learn and mess up and try again. That is what most of us are doing.

June 22, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Tenisha

When Jon & Kate decided to participate in a television show their lives became the publics business. If they wanted privacy, they should not have allowed tv cameras in their home.

June 22, 2009 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  25. M

What happened to... For Better or for worse?? Just simply sad..

June 22, 2009 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  26. d.parsh

I will not waste 1 more minute of my time watching this story unfold. I feel so sorry for the children. It is too bad they can't be the ones that divorce their parents.

June 22, 2009 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  27. William

OH Puhleeeesssss!!!!!!!

For the sake of these kids having a normal life, turn off the cameras and get some dobermans at that front gate........

They just lost all of their credibility with my mother as well..........

June 22, 2009 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  28. John Tobler

Give me a break. This couple is playing the victim card when they are the ones that chose to exploit their family for entertainment purposes in the first place. The kids are the real victims here–victims of 2 of the most selfish parents one could imagine.

June 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Megan

People may be imperfect, but a divorce is absolutely horrible for 8 children to go through. Yes, they'll make it out alive, but for heaven's sake don't make them live it out on air.
    TLC is being absolutely irresponsible in allowing parents like Jon and Kate (and all the others like them coming out in recent months) to exploit their families for money.
    Money speaks, and if all of us who want TLC to learn a lesson, boycott the damn channel until they take it off the air.

June 22, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Barb

All Kate ever says is " Her Kids" not ours. She should realize that they are both of there kids , not just HERS. Jon loves them just is much as she does.

June 22, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  31. pete

If Kate was my wife, I would divorce her. Who needs to be treated like this Jon dude? I only watched the show once, after I saw how she treated him I decided to never watch again.

June 22, 2009 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Pamela

Suze, love your post, countryytx, if you have never watched their show, what gives you the right to bash them? Everyone is so quick to point and laugh about someone else's problems. Why? Not enough courage to face your own problems? Get a life, stop being such pigs and if you know how, say some prayers for this lovely family. Even if they do divorce, pray they can work out arrangements that make the family happier.

June 22, 2009 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Linda

TLC – Please cancel the show – viewer interest is waning – maybe you will see an increase tonight due to all the hype, but it will NOT be long lasting.

I have no interest in Jon or Kate. Let the kids live a normal childhood without cameras and freebies. Kate, get back to work doing something besides looking for freebies, going on vacations and visiting the spa. Jon, you will feel better about yourself, when you get a job and start providing for your family. You lost your identity and your sense of self when you let Kate control everything. Not a good example for the kids.

June 22, 2009 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Shannon

AMEN Brittany!!! I am sick and tired of these two pathetic, opportunistic, selfish brats! Enough is denitely enough already. Shut down the cameras and focus on the children, because in the end they are going to be the ultimate victims of all this crap... And btw, WHO CARES ANYMORE!?

June 22, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Joyce

I agree that enough is enough but do not blame Jon and Kate. I blame TLC and the fact that they will do anything for ratings. So please get off the air and try to save your family and marriage with counseling and work.

June 22, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  36. LINDA QUIROZ

STOP, with all these reality shows like,Jon/kate,17 kids and counting,The Kardashians,Kimora Lee etc. they have so much money and brag about what they have. WHY don't we have real families who are in need, a real reality show just like ROSEANNES SHOW was, you know how real families struggle with family and paying bills.

June 22, 2009 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  37. BF

I think their big announcement is that they're quitting the show, not getting divorced. And it's about time.

June 22, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jazmin from Orlando

OMG. I have not seen this show and now I'm glad I didn't. The only reason the family problems are such a big deal is because they are on TV. Do you know how many families are going to "troubled times" and possibly splittingup or a divorce? From reading these posts, I do agree that the children should come first. Focus on that and let the show go.

June 22, 2009 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. tim

They are exhibitionists. They get paid to let people watch. Not everything we see is pretty. They get paid a lot so if they have to deal with the real-life pain and not just the vacations and birthday parties and all of the other freebies then so be it. Once they started acting like they were 'important' that is when everything went south.

June 22, 2009 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  40. Lisa(Oklahoma)

I think its funny how everyone is so quick to judge. I have been a fan of Jon and Kate plus 8 for a couple of years. It really is none of our business how they raise their children and what is going on within their marriage. I watch the show because I like how they are raising their kids. They are truly loved. It is none of our business if they divorce or keep the show running. If you dont like Kate, then maybe you shouldnt be watching the show or be concerned about what the tabloids are saying.. in my opinion, it seems more like jealousy. Not one marriage is perfect and for you to sit there and judge them because they are in the public eyes just disgust me.
    Jon and Kate are doing the best that they can. Only God can judge them..

June 22, 2009 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  41. Pat

People divorce true enough. But who renews their marriage vows, telling their children they are doing it because they want their children to know that their parents are going to stay together forever?
    I was a big fan, but not anymore. Maybe we are jumping the gun, but I haven't heard any whispers of them going for counselling. This is so sad. Don't watch. What was once entertaining and cute to watch is now just plain tragic. Why does anyone want to watch what was once a lovely family disintergate.

June 22, 2009 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  42. CourtneyTX

WHO CARES!!!! There are so many couples/families out there with marital problems. Why are we glamorizing this one by splashing it all over the headlines. Is this the kind of crap that has become 'newsworthy'?? As someone who has NEVER watched one episode of this show, it's beyond irritating. Shame on Jon and Kate for exploiting their children, marriage and relationship and shame on the media for glorifying it.

June 22, 2009 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  43. Phillip Hergap

Maybe they are going to announce they are quiting the show? Maybe they are going to announce it was all a joke on you sheepish followers?

June 22, 2009 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  44. Theresa

Perhaps if Jon and Kate truly had to "work for a living" their so-called marital troubles would pale in comparison to actually living in the real world and actually having to hands-on raise those eight innocent children, who have been used as a means of a paycheck.

If Jon and Kate won't go off the air voluntarily, then current viewers of this show should boycott it, sending a clear message about who is really important (the children, not dollars) in the scheme of things. All this show is doing now is verifying the fact that absolute greed corrupts absolutely and that there ultimately is no sympathy for anyone except those eight little ones in need of mature parents..

June 22, 2009 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  45. Jada

Okay, am I the only one that has yet to watch this show? I hear about it on the news, internet, etc. What ever is all the fuss about? In today's world is this all that we have to talk about (I guess you could include me) becuase I did read this article.

June 22, 2009 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  46. jones

I can't stand Jon – even my husband thinks he's pathetic and long before he started complaining and messing around. He has never once looked like he wanted to really help out raising those kids and I'm shocked that so many people pat him on the back for his lame attempts at effort and say he should be allowed his freedom. No man or woman has freedom once kid are in the picture – game over and grow up!! Kate is only doing what she had to do in order to keep the family functioning and no one is going to look sweet and wonderful keeping 8 kids and 1 whiny husband in order (or at least that wouldn't be 'reality' tv)!

June 22, 2009 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  47. Paula from Canada

Enough already.. let the show go down the tubes for the sake of the kids.. the two oldest girls already have "issues" and Kate is all about herself. I was alwasys shocked at how she treats her family like they are in a detention hall. Geeze "no stuffies they tend to take over??" what?? She speaks to Jon like a peon..I wish I had such a devoted husband. Cancel the show and let them get councilling..

June 21, 2009 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  48. barb

I am very tired of hearing about these two. I don't care if they save their marrage or not. Stop filming the show and get on with what is really important; taking care of your kids and your marrage.

June 21, 2009 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  49. Druscilla

They need to cancel the show and get back to what matters – the family and most importantly the children. They chose to have 8 children together – and that can't be undone – Jon needs to stand up to Kate and not be such a pushover, Kate needs to let Jon take the reigns on occasion and be the head of the household and step out of her little spotlight. Put the kids first – it's about time.

June 21, 2009 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  50. Sharron H.

I concur with the CNN article that Jon and Kate should turn off the cameras. The children are already showing signs that require parental attention for along time to come. It seems Kate is strongly devided on a showbiz career and raising kids. It also seems the scale is tipping in the direction least beneficial for the kids. Jon needs to get a job, in my humble opinion. They were not grounded in rudimentary core values and the stressors of life whisked them into orbit, with the kids as the comet's tail.

June 21, 2009 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  51. DFWDelia

I grew up with eight brothers and sisters, so my mom and dad managed to do all right with even more kids than Jon and Kate. I know it wasn't easy for my parents and it would have only been worse had there been cameras recording our lives for the world to see.

Personally i don't think it's a good idea to let children be exploited like that. Children should be children in my opinion and not a sick form of entertainment for people who apparently need lives of their own.

–D

June 21, 2009 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  52. Tired of This

Jon and Kate will get what they deserve, the kids will be in therapy and estranged from the folks, bitter for their parents sick display of them for big $$.

June 21, 2009 at 5:21 am | Report abuse |
  53. Suze

OMG, how dare these people be normal human beings with issues and problems – they are on television — they aren’t allowed to have problems — I pay good money to be entertained by reality TV – I shouldn’t have to actually watch real people!!!!!!.

The TLC network promised me that they would be absolutely perfect – not at all like me or my family or my neighbors. If I wanted reality in my reality TV, I’d just video-tape my own family.

Someone should be made to pay for making me face the fact that we are all flawed, that we all have family problems and issues, that no one is perfect, that even Jon and Kate can screw up their lives.

SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE PUNISHED FOR MAKING ME FACE THE FACT THAT HUMANS ARE HUMANS EVEN ON TV!!!!!!!

June 21, 2009 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  54. Sharon

Enough IS enough. Whatever their big announcement will be on Monday, I hope that they are taking the show off the air for the sake of their family! If the media is causing them both so much turmoil there is a simple solution to lessen that burden- get off the air and try to resume living private lives. There has been no effort to fix what they have with each other and instead just more and more camera pointing. Also, to everyone who is defending Kate and saying 'why is everyone hating her'... there is no hate. People are pointing out the obvious wrong doings of both parents and what needs to be done to correct it. Suck it up.

June 21, 2009 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  55. Carol TORONTO, ONTARIO

I too agree they should cut the crap. Jon and Kate both have their faults and it does seem they are milking this to the end. If they are divorcing there is no need for all this hoopla surrounding it. Yes it is a reality show with every aspect of their life exposed but there is no need for the advertisement(TWICE that is) to imply they are divorcing. I guess this is what "good television" has become.

June 21, 2009 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |