June 16th, 2009

Gov. Palin to Letterman: I Accept

Provided to CNN by Meghan Stapleton, Spokesperson for Gov. Sarah Palin:

Governor's reaction regarding Letterman's apology:

"Of course it's accepted on behalf of young women, like my daughters, who hope men who 'joke' about public displays of sexual exploitation of girls will soon evolve. Letterman certainly has the right to 'joke' about whatever he wants to, and thankfully we have the right to express our reaction. And this is all thanks to our U.S. Military women and men putting their lives on the line for us to secure America's Right to Free Speech – in this case, may that right be used to promote equality and respect."

–Governor Sarah Palin

1. wordgirl

Sarah Palin should work in advertising. She is precisely the kind of self-promotion juggernaut that could work wonders for the likes of GM or AIG. Give her a cause and a reason to feel more noble than her fellow American, and she's positively unstoppable. Oh, how I wish she'd go mute.

June 17, 2009 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Braulio

lmfaooooo she's trying so hard to prepare for 2012- what a patriotic suck up! this was all so unnecessary, so public. she should move to the mainland if she wants all this attention.

June 17, 2009 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bubba

Does anybody really know how many kids Palin has, and by how many different fathers? I only heard of one, the poster child for Christian Abstinence, and I bet Dave only heard of that one, too. Has anyone joked about Huckabee's son, who tortured and killed a dog in front of a group of Boy Scouts? How many other sons does he have? Any jokes about Romney's sons, who defended America from terrorists by staying home to campaign for Daddy? Wasn't it Newt who said Chelsea Clinton's real father was Janet Reno? Fine Christian man, that Newt.
    I'll be sure not to miss Dave for a year or two, and I'd like to know which companies were willing to pull their ads in support of Rush Limbaugh so I can boycott them.

June 17, 2009 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. Deana

Sarah\'s acceptance speech was delightful! David Letterman is a slimebag. (Shame on him for \"joking\" at the expense of young ladies!)

June 17, 2009 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. Vanessa

All Children of politicians regardless of their age should be off limits to the media and late night show jokes. Have you forgotten about the brutal SNL skits of Chelsea Clinton? Poke fun at the parent and not the child. The joke was bad and yes an apology needed to be made. David Letterma apologized and now America needs to move on.

June 16, 2009 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. WBN

Boy, liberals can never give Palin a break–she must scare the bejeebies out of them! She is a common, unassuming, conservative woman, who is aggressive in trying to do what she feels is best for her family, state, and nation. I guess only liberal women are supposed to be so focused. If such a thing had been said about an Obama daughter, someone would have already been fired–and probably jailed!

June 16, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cregis

She milked her manufactured outrage for as long as she could. I wish she would go away. I often can't get to my remote quickly enough to mute her annoying voice.

June 16, 2009 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ken

To: Penny......I'm sure Palin's use of the word "evolve" in her acceptance was just a joke, in the same way that Letterman's original comments were.

June 16, 2009 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Morgan

If Letterman's joke gives this woman any more spotlight and leads her to a more supportive platform by mindless right wingers; then yes, he should be fired.

June 16, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bill

Sarah Palin needs to go away. Period.

June 16, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TheHermanator

I think Dave should have stood his ground, with maybe saying something about not knowing the younger teen was around that day. Palin has had her 15 minutes, too many times over. She should be at home being governor Mom, and keeping an eye on the Russians from her kitchen window !

June 16, 2009 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Patrick

What and absolutely clumsy and bizarre attempt to "wrap herself in the flag" with the shout out to the armed services. Leave those folks out of this.

I know there are some of my fellow Republicans who think that Gov. Palin is the next great hope, but statements like this indicate to me she's got a tin ear when it comes to understanding how to win. She won in this little dust-up, as silly as it was, and still manged to bungle it.

Gov. Palin, whoever is writing your public statements needs to be fired...and if it's you, then, um, hire a professional.

June 16, 2009 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jill ann

They were both WRONG! Letterman should have never made the joke. He would have been outraged if someone made an offensive joke about his son. Children should always be off limits even if they are older ( like bristol) . They didn't ask to be put in the public eye and also how in the world would Dave like it if someone made a joke about his wife since they were not married when Harry was born- technically doesn't that put them in the same type of situation Bristol Palin was in? I understand they weren't teenagers but they weren't married so they had a child out of wedlock.
    Also, Palin shouldn't have called him a pedophile as well. It is time people start valuing children more and not make hurtful jokes about any children whether they are 18, 9 or 2. Kids need better than that!!!!!

June 16, 2009 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Alex B

Let me clarify when I say our current force isn't fighting for our rights. What I mean is that they are fighting wars of a different nature now. Our freedoms have already been established. We are only defending our rights when they are being threatened.

June 16, 2009 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Alex B

Ok I am a former military man and have unfounded respect for our branches of service. But Palin tying Letterman's (and her own) free speech into our current men and women in the armed services is ridiculous.

Our forefathers and soldiers of the Revolutionary War and Civil War (and arguably WW1 and WW2) secured our rights to free speech. Our current military force is not fighting for our rights. Nobody is threatening to invade America and change our way of life.

Her tying in that her and Letterman's public argument is "all thanks to our U.S. Military" is irrelevant and just an obvious opportunity for her to use this temporary limelight to gain some favoritism for whatever is next in her political career.

Leave the military out of your debate with Letterman.

June 16, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Rob

I love how Palin says something completely fair and unobjectionable and all the crazy liberals rant about her. She's not courting the vote of the looney left, so your comments fall on deaf ears. Dave was funny 15 years ago.. now all his jokes are about as bad as the flight attendant comment. Does anyone still watch is pathetic show?

June 16, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Linda

T from St Louis:

Men have been "joking" about women and sexual exploitation for thousands of years. It's only ever been funny to men and women that haven't taken the time to analyze the state of gender inequality and are unaware that whatever progress there has been in male-femal relations over the past few hundred years has come thanks to women who didn't sit back and participate in their own exploitation by pretending that little things don't matter.

It seems finally things are changing for the better.
    I look forward to the day that men like Letterman are very few.

June 16, 2009 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Johnny P

A sincere apology followed by bizarre, classless, rambling acceptance. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Yikes!

June 16, 2009 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  19. danelle

First to those that say Letterman needs to get off the air...if you find him so offensive..why are you watching him? TV's do have an on off button.
    Second...I think Sara Palin owes him an apology for insinuating he is a pedophile and she can uh ah all she wants like she did with Matt Lauer and make up an excuse..oh maybe Bristol would have stuff to say to letterman about what he said...BULL. ..implying he is a pedophile is exactly what she meant and it was just as in appropriate as what Dave said. I am so sick of her. I was thrilled when a woman was running for president as Hillary and VP as Palin but Palin, who was propagating hate during the election and smearing Obama...is no better than what she is accusing Letterman of. I would not vote for her not for anything. She is just trying to keep her face in politics. Anyone with a brain would have known he was referring to the 18 year old who got Knocked up and now presents herself as a spokesperson for abstinence...really works huh.

June 16, 2009 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  20. Joe Smith

I am watching the bit about Palin and Letterman. I have a comment concerning " leaving the kids out of this." Teenage pregnancy...leave the pregnant teenagers out of the media? It is my opinion that if this will be broadcasted by a politician, then that leaves the public to give opinion on teenagers making the choice to have sex. Granted there are teenagers in different circumstances, however I am focusing on the teenagers who have made that choice to be sexually active. I have a sister who had a child at 17, graduated early from high school. I will gladly tell every pregnant teenager the same as I told her. With every action there is a level of responsibility. You had sex and now will have a child. Grow up and take responsiblity for your actions. There is no pity party. Welcome to adulthood and life as an adult. This cuddling needs to stop. Children today are not growing up with lessons concerning responsibility, consequences, etc. This is a broad topic and will end here.

June 16, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  21. Andrea in WV

Sarah Palin's "acceptance" of the apology (which obviously is not an acceptance at all) makes no sense whatsoever. What's with the tangent on the military? Oh, yeah. Letterman is a liberal, therefore he obviously hates the military. *rme* Palin is such an idiot. I feel sorry for the people of Alaska for being stuck with that beauty queen bimbo.

June 16, 2009 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  22. nut

i agree, why couldnt she have just said she accepts, and be done with it. As a parent!! why the big freedom of speech line and bringing the troops in it! i bet she keeps a damn digital recording of that in her pocket so she don't forget to say it.

June 16, 2009 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  23. Sunny

You know, I voted republican, but thank God this woman didn't become Vice President. What a total NUTCASE!

June 16, 2009 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  24. Marie, Québec

Yes, I admit I laughed my heart out when you were making your usual daily opening comedic bit regarding the Palin’s clan the other night.

But do I really feel the need to apologize to the Palin’s? Let me give you my top ten list of reasons:

Number 10
    -You bet, hey! I’m Canadian and I can see Alaska from my country

Number 9
    -Come on, the dark ages weren’t that bad! As a woman, I needed a strong reminder of who should represent the ladies!

Number 8
    -I can read, and between the lines too! (must be a Canadian thing)

Number 7
    -Dave is not that smart. (why are the Palin’s laughing?)

Number 6
    -You must only apologize on your show: Don’t call her personally; she’ll probably think its Nicolas Sarkosy on the line!

Number 5
    -I admit, the first thing that comes to my mind from Dave’s monologues is sex, sex, sex!

Number 4
    -Should I sue Dave for looking at me funny through the magic of television? He was looking right at me! I swear!

Number 3
    -I understand every joke that Dave’s tell. Shouldn’t I be considered part of the New York-Hollywood elite that Sarah talks about so much and secretly wishes to be a part of so bad?

Number 2
    -Seriously, doesn’t the United States have prison sentences for first degree joke misdemeanor?

And the number 1 reason why I shouldn’t apologize to the Palin’s
    I want Todd to hunt me down and tie me up (Oups! Sorry! Should have mentioned this before, you must be 18 or older to read and understand this one!)

Dave, please stop apologizing. Please advise all the CBS management suits that it’s an insult to your audience intelligence. Unlike some people, we understood it was just a joke and that nothing more was intended.

June 16, 2009 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  25. Donna

Her comment about David Letterman is just as bad. This Governor wants to stay in the news no matter what. She was the wrong choice for McCain and that is why he lost the election. She should had just kept her mouth closed and accepted his apology in the first place and not go on and on about it. The Republican party should forget about her and start backing someone with the right attitude and not the "it's all about me Palin!"

June 16, 2009 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  26. Shannon

I see that there are the typical idiotic comments being made about Palin. I agree that the joke was a bad one, and on a 'national stage' like Letterman is being viewed – was a very flawed attempt at humor. It was insulting, regardless if it was a joke or not. I love how we Americans brush off how we deal with things by claiming 'it was just a joke'. It is a free pass in our society to run our mouth and say whatever we feel like – without any regard for the other person you may be 'joking' about.

I do think that Palin needs to stay home and govern her state, and stop getting invlolved in the national media. I don't believe she is cut out for national politics just for the fact that some of her comments more than occasionaly seem to be 'odd' (to say the least). I do get what she was trying to convey in her acceptance of the apology, it just was too 'wordy'. I agree that our military continues to protect our way of life (our freedoms), and that people (in general) continue to exploit young women in many different ways. Society has evolved over the past decade, but this particular issue seems to be going in the opposite direction. It's just the way she tried to blend all of it into this strange statement that made it strange.

I do (so much) enjoy the continuing name calling, and general hatred of people that has a different opinion than their own. You can see it very clearly in political blogs. Where has respected converstion gone? Nothing can be discussed anymore without someone blasting off comments that are either foul, our in poor taste. It amazes me that blogs essentially allow people to 'mouth-off' about anyone they choose, knowing that in reality – they wouldn't dare get into an intelligent conversation in person.

June 16, 2009 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  27. Amused Virginian

Sarah, promnote equality and respect!!! give me a break, so does that mean you favor equality for all? Including gays that should have the right to get married. Hypocrosy serves her well.

June 16, 2009 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  28. Pat

Re: brokenback's comments: 1 Miss California was fired for contractural reasons not her opinions. 2 Marriage is not a religously instituted right it is a license from the State – a tax if you will, after all you have to pay for the "right to marry"

June 16, 2009 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  29. Matthias

Please Governor Palin was less then gracious bashing David Letterman before this second apology. I have lost respect for Letterman because he should of stood his ground and had every right too since the joke was blown way out of proportion. Where was the outrage from these idiot commentators in the news media when Palin called Letterman a pedophile??? These people and networks that covered this story are pathetic and shameful in how they handled this.

June 16, 2009 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  30. KarenW

How gracious she was to accept his apology. Letterman is way past his prime and is so done. The guy is baked!!!! His stupid left aganda is so pathetic. He needs to retire and spare us all his stupidity. He hasn't been funny for years.

June 16, 2009 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  31. brokenback

All:

Letterman gets off the hook for suggesting explicit activity with a minor while Miss California gets fired for expressing an opinion about a religiously instituted right?

June 16, 2009 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  32. Sue

Gag me, she cant say anything without it turning into a political statement, I would love to hear from the Mother sometime and not the politician. And where was she when all the other late night hosts and SNL were making crude remarks about her then 17 year old. i guess it's ok if you're running for office, but when you are out of the main spotlight you will use anything to get your name out there. She sickens me.

June 16, 2009 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  33. SierraGram

Does she never know when to just shut up? She's gotta bring the soldiers in on it, blah, blah, blah. You gotta admit, the woman is expert at milking a chance for publicity. Other than that, she has all the depth of a puddle of dog wee.

June 16, 2009 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  34. Jon S.

So, it seems that Sarah "Flight Attendant With Stripper boots" Palin seemed to get her apology from Dave. That's too bad that Dave had to apologize, he had nothing to apologize about. He already apologized last week for the joke being in bad taste, and I'm sure tonight's apology was forced from the network. Go back to Alaska Ms Palin and stay there.

June 16, 2009 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  35. Penny

Sarah Palin's acceptance of David Letterman's apology reveals that the Governor may be broadening her fundamentalist outlook on that controversial Darwinian 'theory'; she hopes that "....men who 'joke' about........will soon evolve". Interesting choice of words....perhaps there's a bit of male bashing going on? Or maybe just calling David Letterman an ape of some kind? Or maybe she didn't think about what she was saying at all...nah, couldn't be that. She's always so articulate.

June 16, 2009 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
  36. T from St Louis

Enough already. Just a Comedian, doing his job. Relax, laugh...it's great for your general health. I'm a Flight Attendant, but wasn't the least bit offended by the slutty F/A comment. It's just a JOKE.

June 16, 2009 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
  37. Bill W

Sarah Palin showed class,and leadership in graciously accepting Letterman's apology.She is quite right in her take on this issue in my
    opinion.In fairness to Letterman,I don't think he was comfortable with
    the joke from the get go,and likely regretted it soon afterward.Time for
    us all,to move on.

June 16, 2009 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  38. LOL

Yikes, there's absolutely no logic in her statement, especially in the leap to discussion of the military. How bizarre.

June 16, 2009 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  39. Pamela

How about apologizing to Dave for calling him a pedophile, you hypocritical bimbo???

June 16, 2009 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |