June 14th, 2009

Springsteen takes Bonnaroo to 'promised land'

Bruce Springsteen at Bonnaroo 2009
Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band thrilled the crowd Saturday night during a headlining set of heartland-inspired anthems at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee.

The big question going into Saturday night – at least in my mind - was why would The Boss want to play Bonnaroo?

He has a legion of fans who’ll fill any arena in the country, so why play a festival crowd instead of one that knows all the words to "Rosalita?" After seeing the band play a 28-song set just shy of three hours - I think it has to do with passion.

Bruce in particular seemed to relish the challenge of playing a different kind of venue – just the band’s second-ever festival performance.

Here’s a man, nearing age 60, who believes so deeply in the power of rock and roll to inspire, and seemed determined to will that belief on Bonnaroo, telling the audience “we need to build a house together.”

Drenched in sweat, Bruce wowed the audience with a relentless enthusiasm and showmanship - throwing his guitar to his roadie, climbing onto the piano, and taking requests from hand-written signs from the crowd – including “Santa Claus is Coming to Town.” Bruce told the crowd “It’s too f-ing hot for Santa!” before launching into the roaring sing-a-long.

The rest of the E Street Band was equal to the task. Max Weinberg’s 18-year-old son, Jay, took over on drums during “Radio Nowhere” and finished the stellar second half of the show. Springsteen’s son, Evan, would later join the band on guitar.

The struggling economy was not far from Bruce’s mind. He spoke to the crowd about seeing “hard times” across the country – and played up that motif during blue-collar songs “Working on A Dream,” “The River,” and “Youngstown” – and played a 155-year-old Stephen Foster song “Hard Times Come Again No More” during the first encore.

The band closed with back-to-back tracks off "Born in the USA" - “Glory Days” and “Dancing in the Dark” - the later of which Bruce invited a woman wearing a green “I Love New Jersey” T-Shirt on to stage to dance.

Overall, a stunning, emotional performance, and the best I’ve seen at Bonnaroo thus far.

Coming in a close second was Wilco, who like Bruce, drew from their rich catalog of material to mesmerize the crowd - including four songs of their upcoming seventh studio album, "Wilco (The Album)."

Frontman Jeff Tweedy played coy with the audience – telling them “it doesn’t matter if you boo tonight. It will sound like you are yelling Bruuuuce!” And guitarist Nels Cline channeled "Marquee Moon"-era Television to power the band through soaring performances of “Impossible Germany,” “California Stars” and “Spiders (Kidsmoke).”

Other performances Saturday night included Ben Harper, moe, MGMT and Nine Inch Nails – during which Trent Reznor told the audience this would be the group’s final U.S. performance.

Sunday promises another diverse and lineup - including Okkervil River, Merle Haggard, Erykah Badu, Andrew Bird, Snoop Dogg, Neko Case and the second headlining set from Phish to close out the festival.

Check out these great aerial photos over Bonnaroo on iReport.com. And follow my adventures at Bonnaroo on Twitter.

Post by:
Filed under: Bonnaroo • Music

« Previous entry
  1. praca

ou did a a-ok career creating a book also in behalf of photographers like me with no stroke with stock. You explained so much that I needed to know. I decrypt it with significant interest. You are a noteworthy writer. I’m gratified to from met you and overconfident that you are as resourceful and approachable as your birth indicates. Your mending is appreciated.

April 12, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mr mister mr

extreme Bruce fans always point to the notion that his performances are full of passion and belief and compassion and other fine qualities, and it's clear that he always has plenty of adrenaline, and all those things are good, or great, but they don't add up to zilch if the songs aren't strong, and have you noticed how all that other stuff gets mentioned before the songs? what jumped out at me in this article: glory days followed by dancing in the dark? what are those songs but eighties drivel? boy, i hope the keyboard player nailed his parts! add to that the mafioso-like press corp that got behind him in the seventies and the insistence that The Boss BLOWS EVERYONE ELSE AWAY and you have just one more artist the rest of us can check off our list. bruce may be the most energetic rock and roll performer ever, but that's nothing if the music ain't there, and every day i hear musicians with a stronger gift for melodies that are memorable and powerful. in my book, without that you ain't gonna make it to the top of the mountain without that, and one wonders why, in that seemingly important area, his henchmen give him a pass.

June 30, 2009 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  3. jonny english

Gosh,,,Such anger towards Bruce and The E Street ...Well if you dont want him and his band in the USA we will take him here in the UK or Spain,France,Italy or any country in Europe,,In terms of US music exports he is possibly second only to Elvis,,but then what do I know having been brought up on the Rolling Stones,,Beatles,,The Who,,Iron Maiden and many others,,

June 18, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Creter

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Wilco. Wilco delivered an amazing set!!

June 17, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Creter

Wow, there are some ugly thoughts mixed in with all the positive comments. This was my third Bonnaroo and it was the best so far. Springsteen was amazing! Also amazing – Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Ted Leo and the Pharmasists, Okkervil River, Lucinda Williams, Dirty Projectors, and Robert Earl Keen. Still, I've seen Springsteen a lot and this was one of his stand-out performances.

June 17, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CC

I went to the show and thought it was amazing!! It started off kind of slow but the energy picked up as it went on. I thought Phish should have played with him the first show instead of the second bc after he introduced Bruce as his idol the same people that were Booing the Springsteen show were now clapping for him. Get a life people!

June 16, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Crunt

Bring on Glastonbury...Whoop!

June 15, 2009 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. rd hawk

ALD while I wouldn't want to "rat out" your daughter, Bonaroo is organized very well, there is access for all contingencies/emergencies I entered and exited throughout the festival, while your daughter maybe blocked in, that case is more the exception than the rule. They even have access for folks that are mobility-impaired (handicapped), to include shuttle service and camping sites for those who require special needs., Go with your children next year, Im an old fart and I had a great time.../

June 15, 2009 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. bobfrombob

For anybody looking for a summary of the above:

Bruce sucks

No, you suck

No, you suck you suck. Bruce rules

Bruce sucks

No, Bruce is the best

No, your (sic – my fave) an idiot

No, your an idiot

I am not. You suck

No, I don't suck. Bruce rules.

June 15, 2009 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. Khan

With all the fighting and name calling. I am from the West Indies and been living in this country for the past 15 years. I have to tell you people there, that there are three words to discribe a man performing at the age 57 and those three words are " SIMPLY THE BEST"

June 15, 2009 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Samuel

This is wrong on so many levels.

Yet so entertaining.

To the supporters of the Boss- Thank you for sticking up for the man.

And to the opposing team- Thank you for giving me something to laugh about and therefore giving my endless workday some entertainment,

June 15, 2009 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  12. Lee

Bruce is Americana – of course he can fill a venue anywhere he goes. His songs and persona represent the American culture – but he's got more staying power than GM. Check out his Pete Seeger sessions, too...wow.

June 15, 2009 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  13. taylor

wow, really? nobody even mentions anything about phish of Nine inch Nails? Its trully sad that no one even says anything about NIN, considering they've been around now since 1988, thats 21 years people, show some respect cuz its Trent Reznor's last tour with the band, pay homage cuz of how different there sound is, yeah Bruce is a good artist, but NIN is a great band, sure we have alot of ppl on here that are scolding each other left and right for their opinions, but i guess ppl need to feel secure about their music and affiliations on mr. springsteen, This was a excellent bonnarroo, it was just as good, or better then last year at manchester, two thumbs up :)

June 15, 2009 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. Delene

What in the world does the man's ethnic background have to do with the fact that he put on a great concert?

June 15, 2009 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  15. scooter

These post show just what is wrong with america today. love him or hate him just like the pres if you dont like the guy. there goes the name calling and racist claims.
    why all the hate. just follow the flow
    after all its all only rock & roll and I like it.........
    if you dont allow the mind to see different points, styles and sounds, your just a closed mind in a box

June 15, 2009 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  16. Mr. T

Wow. Are these posts really a sampling of our nation's population? It took just a few posts for the whole thread to end up in a game of name-calling one upsmanship.

This is sad.

June 15, 2009 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  17. Jeremy

Springsteen is the single most overrated act on the planet. And yes, I have seen him live and his show is pathetic. How anyone can call him the best live act ever amazes me.

June 15, 2009 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  18. Dan

Retire, please!!!!!!

June 15, 2009 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  19. mo

NIN -last US show.... that sucks, Bruce doesn't.

June 15, 2009 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  20. Mary

Trash talking Bruce Springsteen....on my did the economy recover, did the war end, did we solve that health care issue and global warming? Surely I must have missed a headline if this is what people have found to complain about. Don't like The Boss..Don't listen. But I sure would like to know how is your 40 years career taking care of you these days. Looks like Bruce has a job as long as he wants it. Do you?

June 15, 2009 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
  21. papioz

people of earth,
    does it matter that he is older than most of you that are leaving comments?
    & do you realize all great musical talent starts in a garage.
    i'm laffing at the comments that are left because you people sound like a bunch of 8 year olds arguing over a cartoon series.
    seriously some of you should get a day job that pays well & keeps you away from forums .have a nice day

June 15, 2009 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
  22. Randall Norris

His "Live In Dubln" album literally saved my life. I was ready to chuck the planet and listened to that album on a trip (This Little Light Of Mine and We Shall Overcome!!) and got me out of my black mood and involved again in my work with the poor, oppressed and disenfranchised. Thanks for my life Bruce!

June 15, 2009 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  23. Jacque Bauer

Bruce used to be something, but now he is simply something used (up). After two hours of listening to songs that painfully sound alike, you have to face the cold hard fact that you still have another TWO HOURS to go of this boring old man trying to look like a young coot. His Super Bowl was nothing shorrt of super embarassing.

Give me Radiohead (or a hundred others) any day...

June 15, 2009 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
  24. Roo Fan

Hi all,

I'm a big fan of Bonnaroo, and this year was my 4th attendance. I loved it, especially Wilco, NIN, Merle Haggard, Mars Volta, Snoop Dogg, and Beastie Boys. Even the weather was nice (I arrived Friday and skipped the rain). I myself am a musician and love all kinds of music, especially of the 60's and 70's.

However, I just did not get into Bruce at all. I gave him a chance, an hour and 1/2, but it just didn't grab me. All of my friends of my generation were also just not into it. Luckily, Bonnaroo always has a steller line-up to appeal to a wide range of audiences.

I'm glad that people enjoyed it, but as far a headliner that my Generation Y, (which makes up the majority of attendee's at Bonnaroo) Bruce didn't cut it.

I have respect for him, but I hope that next year the team at Bonnaroo will pick a headliner that isn't only relevant to people over 40 who grew up in New Jersey. Just sayin.

June 15, 2009 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  25. Davy Crocket

Bruce is The Man. I saw him in Austin 20 years ago on the Tunnel of Love Tour, and he put on the best 3 hour show I've ever seen. He was, and remains one of the all time great live acts.

June 15, 2009 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  26. Roque Maputo

You guys enjoy !
    At least you have the change og being closer to good guys like him.
    For me one, of the best after the Elvis era, he does not come to this side of the world but is still good to watch him on TV and to know that is live and very active.

June 15, 2009 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  27. who cares

1. if any of you were/ are there, please review away, I'm interested in blog topic and first hand experiences. My browsing/reading time is worth getting your take on the performance.

2. if you have (1.) nothing other to do,,,,,,, (2.) 'ceptin' sum o' your'n-self"s inclination to post 2nd, 3rd, etc. "hand" experiences, stick with the above (1.) = nothing option, place your expertise where familiar and successful. P.S. if you were "there" 1st hand, figure out how to write / express a personal review / personal opinion/ share your experiences! plus or minus..... I'll read it and move on.

anybody still there ?? tell us, what's goin on,,,,,,,,,,

June 15, 2009 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  28. kate

wilco is the one band with a permanent spot on my playlist. i wish i had been there last night.

always amazing.

bruce is o.k. too.

June 15, 2009 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  29. ScottG

Best live act ever. That's taking it to the extreme. I'm pretty sure America knows who there best live act ever was. If it wasn't for Jerry Garcia's death, the Grateful Dead still would be America's best live band.

June 15, 2009 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  30. halapeño

Hilarious to hear the comment of trolls bagging on someone they've never seen in concert nor have any real knowledge of his music. I've seen all the major acts out there and many of the minor acts and Springsteen is right at the top. I saw his shows in LA and they were amazing. I cannot believe a guy who's almost 60 has so much energy. I'd be surprised to see a forty year old with as much energy.

Now that Springsteen has played here I hope he'll play Coachella.

June 15, 2009 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  31. myw

My mom was a roadie and would drag me along. Still as good as he was in late 1970s.

June 15, 2009 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  32. KP

Saw him front row in Cleveland. This man is more relevant than most of today's bands will ever hope to be.
    As for the stupid remark about him being Jewish, not that it mattered if he was, his name ends in "STEEN" – not "STEIN." The name is Dutch. His mom is Italian. HIs dad was Irish. Pretty darn Catholic, but don't hold that against him either! Ignorance in America is downright disgusting.

June 15, 2009 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  33. Bonnaroo onsite

Well in case you DIDNT stay until Sunday....... During the Sunday night performance of Phish..... Trey spoke to the crowd saying.. "This man has been my idol.... please welcome Bruce Springsteen!!" And Bruce Joined Phish for several songs. Turns out that the boss spent the day at the festival, casually dressed and hanging out. It was an awesome end to a fabulous event.

June 15, 2009 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  34. Eric

Pay no attention to the trolls and haters. They're just ticked off because Bruce didn't like George Bush. I mean, anyone who didn't like a great American like George Bush must suck, right?

I'd be bitter too if the only musician who's politics mirrored my own was Ted Nugent.

June 15, 2009 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  35. Marty

If ANYONE can't appreciate the music, heart and endurance of Mr. Springsteen – regardless of age or intelligence -then he/she needs to stop going to concerts...period. You're wasting your time and my patience ! You probably talked all thru the concert anyway...about your MOTHER!

June 15, 2009 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  36. Lori

So... I have read most of these comments and I have this to say...
    The boss rocks... I have seen him in the 80's 90's and in in 2004. His shows are the best I have ever seen. I am a huge country fan as well. The genre of music is not an issue.. it is the songs. It is the contribution that an artist makes to society as a whole.
    It does not matter if you are a fan or not. His show's are the best and longest around. He cares about this country better than most. He has been around for ever, so there must be something that people like.
    When will people get over religion, race and where people are from. He has made it big for what he does and his beliefs. He is playing for the fans he has and the fans to come.

June 15, 2009 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  37. kebya

And Bruce just finished playing 3 songs with Phish on Sunday night.

June 15, 2009 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  38. JBHedgehog

Wow...this board really went south quickly.

June 14, 2009 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Michelle in Chicago

I had the pleasure of being at this show AND just so you know he did play to his full contract. The set started aprox 30 min late and ran over 30 min.

As far as Bruce sucking.. Bruce isn't for everyone and everyone is entitled to their opinion. BUT you have to respect the man.. he is almost 60 and he put on one hell of a show. I can only hope that I have that much energy in 29 years. Bruce and that band are classic.. you can't knock that. Where do you think the bands that you love now were influenced? CLASSIC bands.. bands such as Bruce Springsteen and the E street band.. come on seriously.. it's not every day you get to see people who helped shaped the music of today.

Calm down people.. as Bruce said " We're here to build a house.. a house of love and unity" :D

June 14, 2009 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jordan

Ahh, Phil....
    Da Boss doesn't do Stairway, that band was Spirit, well before Jimmy ripped them off.
    Anyway, Great Show Springstien!!!

June 14, 2009 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Phil

This concert sucked! Boss Smosh, He can't hit the high notes anymore and didnt even do Stairway to Hea... and where the H was Ringo? I do think he is taking it a bitmore serious since the sax player passed. But the Bosses web site said he would do 30-40 songs.
    Am disapointed to say the least and more. Most of my freinds left half way thru....He just played all the new stuff. This really Sucked!

June 14, 2009 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Rhythm

They don't call him the boss for nothing...i heard some mixed things overall about the show but he puts on a good show anytime. However, i would have been over at phish for the live experience.

June 14, 2009 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Stephen Falk

I think a true artist inspires the kind of belligerent, intelligent, (occasionally stupid ) debate we see on display here.
    I've never loved every piece of music he's ever written, but truly admire
    the obvious passion and sincerity in his work.

June 14, 2009 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  44. kelster

G. Love, DMB, Radiohead, U2... etc. etc. etc...

June 14, 2009 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  45. kelster

Phish, Oysterhead, Primus, Rush, FIshbone,King's X.... all way better live bands than "The Boss."

June 14, 2009 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  46. stop_the_bs

Bruce rules!

June 14, 2009 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Al

Isn't it interesting to see how this has quickly deteriorated into online bickering. The right-wingers can't hide behind religion forever. Springsteen is still playing 5 nights at Giants Stadium this fall....if you don't like it....don't go.

June 14, 2009 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Dan

Springsteen is Catholic in 'faith' only. He has said on numerous occasions in interviews that he doesn't practice anymore and didn't raise his kids in the Church. Whether he did or not, I have no idea. To each his own. But once a Catholic – always a Catholic.

June 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Harry

Fighting over Bruce? Why? Who in this world has not heard of Bruce Springsteen? Who has not tapped his or her foot and sung along to one of his many hits?

Not many.

People like James will come and go, but the BOSS's music will live on forever.

June 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Joann

Need to correct Jack T. Bruce is from Freehold N.J. not Redbank. I am from Freehold went to the same H.S. as Bruce and my brothers went to school with him.

June 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Mike C

Burt Bacharach is the best live show eevaaaarrrr!

I made a funny.

In all seriousness...I'm a product of the 80s, I remember hearing Born in the U.S.A., Dancing in the Dark, and how my parents said I imitated the Boss, I can say I acknowledge his presence and his influence upon music and the rock genre more specifically. Growing up listening to music like Metallica, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, NIN, and other acts, I still like to look back at the forerunners of these bands and enjoy the music they created such at Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, and the list can go on...I'm an appreciator of all good music. That's how i see it.

my two cents

my two cents

June 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Mixman

Bruce is total cheesy 80s rock....

June 14, 2009 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Eric

So many Jews are in the show-biz. Bruce Springsteen isn't Jewish, but my mother thinks he is.

June 14, 2009 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  54. jsin

I saw the Boss recently in ATL and have to that now I feel ripped off. In ATL, he did not play Born in The USA, Glory Days, or Dancing in the Dark. I mean come on...seriously?

June 14, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Mike

I have seen Bruce in concert twice in the past year and can tell you that: a) his shows are completely sold-out including the seats behind the stage, b) he plays a 20+ song set everytime, c) fans of all ages are at his concerts, from pre-teens to blue hairs, d) like his music or not, he has the best backing band in the world (just look at their credentials), and e) no one works harder on stage to please a crowd.

The fact that he takes live requests in concert should show anyone how prepared and skilled Bruce and the E-Street Band really are. While I don't always agree with his politics and selling concert t-shirts for $40 each should be a crime (which many artists are guilty of), I'd take Bruce and his band over most artists these days who lack even an iota of his talent, creativity, and desire to deliver a solid performance night after night. He may not be the best in everyone's eyes, but few can really match.

BTW, I live in Houston – so Bruce has reach outside of NY/NJ and can even reach us rednecks in the South :)

June 14, 2009 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Chris

Do you think the "stupid posts" were really a set-up–someone's idea of humor because the comments are so ridiculous?

June 14, 2009 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Walker

Changing direction here, a bit...

Really enjoyed the ""Marquee Moon" – era Television reference. Vivid image. For one who remembers seeing Television at the Roxy in LA in the mid-seventies (amazing, stayed for both shows), it was much appreciated.

Also nice that the writer is not afraid to write for a musically sophisticated readership. Based on some of the comments, though, that might not be entirely the case.

June 14, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  58. fred

Springsteen's best days are behind him. It all started going downhill when he decided he was another Bob Dylan. I'll take the real Bob Dylan and not some aging wannabe!

June 14, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  59. jerseycool

Ummm, Springsteen last name is dutch. It's een not ein. He's part Dutch, part Italian for the record.

June 14, 2009 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Pat Leiva

His music resonates and fills me and mine with feeling as much today as it did when I was a boy in '74. Ignorant moron if he were a jJew I could care less. I also love Neil Diamond too, "the Jewish Elvis" me as much today. Go back to your cave punk.

June 14, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Dal

I use to be a big Bruce fan but he's over-rated and old IMO. I have no desire to see him play again. For those that want to go see him play, all the power to ya. But I find his "agenda" hypocritical. At least Mr. "I'm rooting for the common man" moved out of Beverly Hills. All that being said, it was great hearing "Jungle Land" on the radio that other day. My bet he doesn't even play it anymore. Oh well... we all move on.

June 14, 2009 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  62. dennisl59

After looking at the list of performers and musicians, there's only one that really matters-Merle Haggard.

June 14, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Jennica

******YOU'RE to everybody spelling it wrong.

They're just jealous that the band they wanted to see didn't play for 3 hours straight.

June 14, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  64. William

Springsteen is a great live performer, but he simply cannot hold a candle to Trent Reznor. He is unmatched both musically and lyrically, and his work has more original artistic merit than any ten other musical acts. Reznor is equal parts poet and modern day Mozart. It will be a great loss indeed if he in fact never tours again.

June 14, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Nick

Nothin needs to be said except BRUUUUUCCCCEEEEE

June 14, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Big D

Bruce has the awards and the bank account to show that he is very popular, regardless of an individual like you Shawn, and your "opinion". Your post really needs to be removed, and I'm amazed that it's been allowed to remain this long. Some people live and learn. Shawn, apparently you're just living.

June 14, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Sandy

To Harry Richards and all others of you who think of Springsteen of having a "phony blue collar image," do your homework. Bruce was raised in a very blue-collar town and remained in the area for years. Why do you begrudge him the success he has earned over the years? Would you have him donate his time and huge sums of money to charity? Oh, wait a minute, that's right, he does that. And he has been doing that since long before he was making piles of cash. And those piles of cash he makes? He doesn't make them by selling his songs or image to advertisers anywhere in the world, as just about any other band/singer/songwriter has been doing for years. He does it by touring and selling his music, not whoring himself for some product or another.

June 14, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Just me...

People, that is the beauty of being American. We can all have differing opinions and it is our duty to respect each other. Whether or not you like Bruce is insignificant in the fact that no matter the bottom line of his concert, he is an entertainer plain and simple.

Can't we all just get along and play nice? And for anyone interested in doing the right thing, let's not become victims, we need to concentrate on what is going on in our country. Let's face the facts, if we don't pull together, the world is going to watch our wonderfully free country implode.

Support your local businesses, and support our troops.

Its just me....and my conscience speaking.

June 14, 2009 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  69. jonnyE

I just wanted to say that you all need to find better things to do than to call eachother idiots over Bruce Springsteen. I'm only 21, but I can understand the love many of you have for the Boss. I'm big in music and had a chance to work a Bruce Springsteen concert at the arena I work at, and I also worked with his roadies helping set up and take down the stage and equipment. I've seen over 30 concerts easy, and I'd say that Bruce probably was the most passionate artist I've seen. The arena was sold out within days of ticket sales and he gave everyone their money's worth. Playing at Bonnarroo kind of surprised me, but the man is an established musician and can play where he wants. I saw first hand that this man isn't just cared about in the nNY/NJ area, but people love this guy everywhere. People please stop being ignorant and be open minded to others' opinions. I won;t be back on here so call me an idiot all yall want. peace

June 14, 2009 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  70. FranScene

Well, people we'll see in about 25-30 years where all these ground shaking legends of today are. Think about longevity...he's got it. If he's not your scene, move on and quickly...

June 14, 2009 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  71. scott h

Let's set the record straight. Springsteen is one of several artists who actually got better with time. This is the case for Neil Young, U2, Johnny Cash (rip), the Clash, My Bloody Valentine, and especially the Beatles. As a former rock critic who is currently employed as an academic surgeon, I listen to and love all types of music: alt-folk, goth/industrial, garage, reggae, hip-hop, and punk. And I emphatically believe that the Boss is one of the all time best performers and writers that rock has EVER produced.

He is the complete package, and anyone who knows anything knows that. I accept diverse opinions and welcome dissenting views, but c'mon, "Born to Run" rocks like nuthin' else. (The dissenters are free to correct my grammar).

June 14, 2009 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Scott

OMG, I couldn't believe reading this thread that racial crap came up...Bruce is an AMERICAN who rocks the house, and always has!!! I am not Jewish, and I don't care that he IS! It has nothing to do with anything about him rocking, and inspiring me for over 30 years....Too much hatred in this world, I suppose....sad....

June 14, 2009 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Jimmy

OMG- "cant we all get along"

Springsteen is not Jewish!! And even if he was..who cares?

June 14, 2009 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  74. tim

I saw Bruce 25 years ago and last month and several times in between. He is still the best concert performer in the world...and that comes from someone that has seen Jimmy Buffett 20+ times...Jimmy is a close second but Bruce brings that extra energy. His is still the Boss!

June 14, 2009 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  75. alumette

What is that name calling about? We have here some very low life having the audacity to criticize a proven artist who has had a fabulous life. I say these guys are on the low end of society and likely live with their mothers since they can't get a job. Right? Look in the mirror boys! When you become famous and rich, then you can talk to Bruce as he may be your next door neighbor. Until then, regroup and shut up.

June 14, 2009 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  76. chris

To Shawn, the anti-semitic idiot who said "The only reason he (Bruce)ever got famous is because he is jew." Springsteen is not even Jewish. He went to a Catholic school and in concert is always making jokes about the nuns at Saint Rose of Lima in in Freehold, N.J.

June 14, 2009 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Mcneill

Hey Shawn, he's actually Catholic you moron!

June 14, 2009 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Derek

NIN!!!!!

June 14, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Victor G

Every time someone is amazing and gets really successful to become a super star there are always a few little people like James and Shawn who will put them down because they have achieved incredible fame. These little people like J and S think they are really cool because they love some unknown bands that no one has ever heard of and that IS what makes them COOL and SPECIAL.

June 14, 2009 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Heather

Bonnaroo's main show is only 3 hours long and has been that way since it started years ago.

June 14, 2009 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Mickey Coronado

Bruce is definitly the man, but I'm not sure about greatest frontman/performer ever...although he's definitly up there. What about Freddie Mercury and Queen? Those guys could put on a show without a doubt (of course nowhere near 4 hours) and Freddie was a master at getting the audience going. But yeah, Bruce is the Boss these days.

June 14, 2009 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  82. truebluefemdem

I envy Tennesee right now! Bruce is the best! What an inspiration and motivation! I admit, I was born and raised in NJ and it is in my blood until the day I die. BTW, Bruce is from Freehold, not Redbank. I do not live vicariously with reality TV but I would love to be Patty Scialfa right now!

June 14, 2009 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Rebecca Rustin

Bruuuuuuuuuce! Yeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

June 14, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  84. david

In California and in Texas, Bruce is still the boss, not just jersey. and if you've never seen him in concert, shut up! you have no idea.

June 14, 2009 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Gert

What is it with you people. All you do is tear each other apart.
    Get a life. Spend some time on what might count in life. Not everyone can be a critic.

June 14, 2009 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  86. debra bedard

Bruce is 59.60 in sept. He is just incredible. A true living legend. Be glad your life coincided with his and that you were able to see him perform live.

June 14, 2009 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  87. hypocrites_are_everywhere

Folks,

Let's not pick on twerps, dummies, religious bigots! Let's give them a way to vent (I.e. criticizing others). Otherwise, we'll see many more James Wenneker von Brunn! :(

Bruce rules!!!

June 14, 2009 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  88. charles

so you covered a 3 hour springsteen concert but you could only throw in a half sentance about nine inch nails final US show? where is a wilco review? you have your story priorities all mixed up. don't ever cover bonnaroo or any music festival again.

June 14, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Joe

In Shawn's defense, we Jews have a lot in common with Catholics – overbearing mothers, guilt, etc. Just about everything but the cooking (my Italian friends' mothers' dinners sometimes make me want to convert). Maybe Shawn just got confused.

Anyway, the Catholic references in some of Bruce's early work are hard to deny. And then there is the song "In Freehold" – a couple of verses are downright confessional. Then again, Bruce did play Hava Nagila by request at a recent tour stop (DC). Maybe he was trying to tell us something...

Bruce is still the Boss, and the best bang for the buck in live rock entertainment going. But years are catching up with some of the other E Streeters.

June 14, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  90. iandi

"James Irish: OMG…your an idiot…he sucked so bad and did not even play the fully contracted set….I feel ripped off…I have no idea what you were watching but it sucked….."

If it sucked so bad, I would think you'd want to get out of there as soon as possible. So why would you be upset over him not playing the "fully contracted set?" Surely, the fully contracted set would have just been more sucking for you to not enjoy. Next time, if the show is really sucking that bad, take the opportunity to hit the porto-potty while the rest of those in attendance, for some strange, appear to enjoy themselves. (Those other thousands of people must be faking, 'cause this show obviously sucks)

June 14, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Jason

I saw the Boss about a month ago... one of the best, if not the best shows I've ever seen...

If you get the chance, get a ticket and prepare for a fantastic night.

June 14, 2009 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  92. DanZ

People, people, people...the contention of whether Bruce can perform his way out of paper bag is far gone. This is a man that had to go to therapy to cut down on his manic desire to stay on stage and play all night long. Bruce is the energizer bunny of Asbury. His band is never less than great!

Better yet, his roots are deep in the plowed field of rock and roll, but he dug down so much further with his love of Woody or the others that help build the music that we have today.

The only time that I saw him and wanted to leave was when he did the solo tour with him, the guitar, and a harmonica that got annoying after the first 30 minutes.

Give the man a break. He knew there was going to be backlash for trying his hand at the biggest music festival in the Eastern US. He's not for everyman, even though that is his mission statement.

June 14, 2009 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Tyler

Considering you think Bruce and Wilco are the best performances, you have zero credibility.

June 14, 2009 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  94. ALD

My daughter is at Bonnaroo now and claims she can not leave until very late tonight because thousands of tents and cars block her getting her vehicle out of the campground any sooner. Is she telling the truth – are there really no protected aisles for emergency vehicles to enter and for cars to exit?

June 14, 2009 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Randy Clark

Those who are dancing in the dark may never realize that BS has and never will compare to the greatest live band ever.

P.S. they pay tonight

June 14, 2009 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Republican Party

All rock music should be banned, you kids are nothing but hooligans.

June 14, 2009 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Laurel

Shawn's comment about Springsteen only being famous because he's Jewish is both anti-Semitic and inaccurate. Springsteen is of Irish and Italian descent and he was raised Catholic, which explains many of the religious references in his music.

June 14, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  98. TomWild

I was at the show, and i have to say I was a little disappointed in the Boss. I own every album, and have seen him numerous times before. In all honesty, it sucked compared to any other springsteen show I've seen be it recorded or in person. I feel ripped off as well.

June 14, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  99. LGE

#36 – Yes, Bruce is Dutch-Irish and Roman Catholic.
    #4 Shawn, your comments are bordering on dangerous in their bias. Please get some help and grow up.

June 14, 2009 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  100. SPF

Shawn – ahhh, the ignorant anti-semetic comments here about Bruce, but I hate to burst your bubble – he's not Jewish. And for all the others who commented on how lame Bruce is, ever see him concert? Yeah, I doubt it. So until you do, find a new definition for lame b/c Bruce and the E Street Band are the furthest things from it.

June 14, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  101. nora

Although he is a Catholic, why would anyone care if he were Jewish?

June 14, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Bruce-Fan

My hat is off to Mr. Springsteen once again. Way to bring the young ones into the fold and keep the older folks happy and heartened by your youthful exuberance. Mr. Springsteen; YOU are a person to look up to.

June 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  103. carlton_fist

"Not everyone has to be a fan but there is literally no act out there today who can consistently sell venues out around the world as much as he can." – Wrong. Yes he sells them out but there are many other bands on the Roo lineup past & present that do the same, open your eyes > neil young, pearl jam, the dead, NIN, ABB, and probably the main draw of this year phish

I'm not going to knock the guy, not my cup of tea, but he's good at what he does. He's on the bill as the festival keeps spreading it's reach from the original & he can sell tickets in these lousy economic times.

A good thing to point out though is that it is a huge festival & there is a hell of a lot more creative & musically exciting bands going on that are getting bypassed just because he is pulling attention > the NIN, moe. & phish late night sets to name a few. The author could be putting in a bit more work instead of choosing to write the easy story

June 14, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Wilson

BUMP “No mention of Phish? You truly are clueless.”
    “Bruce is, hands down, the BEST live act you will ever see!” – LOL

June 14, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Ken

This might be the most idiotic thread I've seen yet. People talking about Bruce's "contracted" set when they really have no idea what said contract contains.
    Then there's the person who thinks Bruce is irrelevant outside of NY/NJ. I'm guessing his irrelevance is what made the sponsors of Bonnaroo sign him as a headliner. That makes sense.

On the other side, there's the folks who worship Bruce no matter what crap he puts out. And I'm sure they'll be posting their venom shortly.

With that all said, Bruce may be the hardest working man in showbiz now that James Brown is gone. Three hours is a long set by anybody's standard these days. Festival or not.

June 14, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  106. bwoulfe

I don't know who you guys are who think Bruce is irrelevant outside of NY/NJ. The entire planet knows who he is. and I COMPLETELY side with Andrew W. Where's the mention of Phish? I KNOW they were the other headliner of Bonnaroo behind Bruce. not to mention Phish is touring again and it's tough to argue that any other band has a better following than Phish.

June 14, 2009 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Healy

Sigh @ shawn...

Your amazingly irate post demonstrates such close-minded and uneducated comments it hurts.

First, if Springsteen's music is not your style: That's just the way it is and everybody's entitled to personal opinion. However, there's no denying he and the E Street band have been popular and amazingly successful since the early 1970's...I'm guessing that is a couple decades before you were born.

Next and more importantly, your religious prejudice is disgusting...and your assumption about his religion is, quite bluntly, wrong. Though I'd be honored to have him as part of The Tribe, Bruce Springsteen's family heritage is not one bit Jewish. He was raised Roman Catholic.

In my humble opinion, you'd be well served to educated yourself about music history – noting along the way that some of Springsteen's music reflects deep Catholic values and traditional Irish-Catholic hymns. Perhaps once you've studied up and listened with an open mind, you might discover a new appreciation.

Or not...but there's no need for your vitriolic comments. (And, yeah, I expect that you might just have to look up the definition of "vitriolic".)

June 14, 2009 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Cory

Bunch of obvious trolls in here. But we'll simply respond clearly and accurately to show how dumb the trolls are. For starters "His father, Douglas Frederick Springsteen, was, amongst other vocations, a bus driver of Dutch and Irish ancestry, his (Dutch) surname means stepping stone. His mother, Adele Ann Zerilli, was a legal secretary of Italian ancestry." much to Adam Sandler's probable sadness, not a Jew. Secondly, if you are privy to the contract he had with the festival organizers, by all means, please share. Finally, if he is not relevant outside of the NY/NJ area, why does he sell out concerts across the nation? Seriously, if you're gonna troll, at least do a competent job of it.

June 14, 2009 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Theresa

Bruce is, hands down, the BEST live act you will ever see! I've seen him live four times so far, and am constantly amazed at just how awesome he is! Anyone who doesn't think Bruce is the best of the best clearly has no appreciation for music. Period.

(and by the way, Shawn – much as I hate acknowledging your ignorant and bigoted comment – Bruce was actually born and raised Catholic. So your unfounded bias against Jews (and Bruce) doesn't even make sense here)

June 14, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  110. skoob

One would have to be a miserable twit to go out of their way to attempt to undermine Springsteen and the E-Street Band's chops. Just enjoy the music. If not Springsteen, maybe somebody else. I promise you'll be happier in the long run.

June 14, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Warrensong

Not that it matters, but the dude that made the comment that he only became famous because he was Jewish is falsely informed because Bruce is Dutch-Irish.

It makes you sound like a conspiracy theory nut case.

June 14, 2009 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Howard Ralph

Classic work James Irish...As much as it would be cool to have Bruce as a fellow "tribesman", he's not Jewish...
    Bruce is still welcome at Friday night services...LMAO

June 14, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  113. elissa

Bruce is awesome. And Shawn...the only reason Bruce is famous is because "he is jew"? Well, first of all, nice grammar. And second of all, he's not Jewish. Nice try.

June 14, 2009 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Charles

"The only reason he ever got famous is because he is jew. "

WOW. Do a little research jackass. He isn't Jewish. You may not like his music, and that is fine. But to be that closed minded and imply he is who is because of a last name that you stereotype to one religion merely implies that your education ends at being able to post on CNN polls and look up porn. You, Shawn, should rethink your pathetic existence.

Great live show if you know ALL of his songs, but yes, more relevant if you grew up in NJ/NY.

June 14, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  115. ktq

shawn, springsteen is catholic and to this day, remains the longest performing act I've ever seen. And I've seen my share of shows.

June 14, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Jason

To Shawn: Not only are you an ignorant racist ... but Bruce Springsteen is, in fact, not a Jew.

June 14, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Bruce

Shawn, you sound like the actor from the movie "Porky's" who was trying to make fun of Jews by calling them "kites". To say that Springsteen is famous is "because he is jew" is racist; maybe you meant to say that the only reason that 88 year-old whacko is famous is because he tried to shoot up the Holocaust Museum...or was that you?

June 14, 2009 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Harry Richards

A Bruce concert is one long commercial for him to sell his fake blue collar image. It is pathetic, and it is anti rock 'n' roll, because it is empty stuff for empty heads who buy all his crap, at Walmart no less, the most anti union anti blue collar company in the country. Horrible boring crap!

June 14, 2009 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Rosalita

Shawn you ignorant fool, Springsteen is not Jewish. His background is Dutch and Italian and he was raised Catholic. And given that the guy has had a 30-year plus career, well, enough said. You don't like him, don't see him. Your loss.

June 14, 2009 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Atlanta Native

Bruce is hardly "irrelevant" anywhere! Not everyone has to be a fan but there is literally no act out there today who can consistently sell venues out around the world as much as he can. While I do think his newer songs may not pack the punch that his earlier stuff did, it's a career span of 40 years and that's a whole lot of material.
    Opinions are like assholes – everybody has one.

June 14, 2009 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Kim

james irish, shawn and grammar police are obviously the same kididiot...lol

June 14, 2009 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  122. scott

Shawn,

You have major issues! I wouldn't walk across the street to watch anyone pick their nose. Stay classy Shawn!

June 14, 2009 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Rock In L.A.

Irish..... Your the Idiot.... you need to go back to your New Kids on The Block concert, if he sucked that bad why do you mention he didn't play the fully contracted set?? I lost count of how many Bruce shows i've been to, Bruce and the E Street band are incredible performers, un-matched by anyone. The Inspiration, Passion and Love that is communicated through their music and show can not be achieved in the same way, as many other very talented artists can only aspire to get close ( and fail ).
    Anyone who has ever been to a show ( except you ) would agree.

Home Town : Howell, NJ

June 14, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Richard DeCredico

He is the still the boss.

The boss of mediocre pop insipidness.

June 14, 2009 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  125. JeremyT

Seriously? Bruce Springsteen sucked in the eighties... and these days he is a total characature of himself. I hate they way people try to play him off as some sage artist. He has always reminded me of a mechanic that plays in a weekend garage band.... You are an idiot!

June 14, 2009 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Bob Smith

First poster a bit over enthusiastic. Second poster insane. Bruce played close to 3 hrs. You can't expect any longer at a festival. Besides the reviews are in and according to people who actually know what they are talking about, he's still the Boss.

June 14, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Grammar Police

I'm capable of spelling the word "you're", even without using 6 sets of ellipses!

June 14, 2009 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  128. t lords

re: james irish comment. dude, what an idiot you are. that was a complete bruce show, set list wise and length. " FULLY CONTRACTED SET" ???? PLEASE, Enlighten America on your full details of Bruces contract. We all await your wisdom.

go away.

June 14, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Andrew W

No mention of Phish? You truly are clueless.

June 14, 2009 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Mike

Most rock acts out there today couldn't be a ROADIE for Bruuuuuuuuce!

June 14, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Rick in NY

I love how some people call others idiots, yet they can't even use correct word usage, or punctuation. You sir, are the idiot. You should feel ripped off on your limited education.

June 14, 2009 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Lige

Bruce is SO irrelevant outside NY/NJ.

Sorry Jack but no one cares.

June 14, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  133. John

Hey James Irish – it's "You're" an idiot, not "your", so who's the real idiot, moron? Besides, I've seen Bruce several times in concert, and he always puts on a great show. Don't dump on things because you are either too young or too ignorant to recognize their quality.

June 14, 2009 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Scott

James.....first one to call names loses. As far as Bruce sucking, you must be kidding? The Boss has more passion in one performance than the a lot of artists do their entire career.

June 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  135. SJP

"did not even play the fully contracted set"
    I'm sure you have intimate knowledge of what Bruce's contract said? Stick to your day job.

June 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  136. cee

bruce is always and forevermore the man

June 14, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Freddy

No James, you're an idiot. It is "you're an idiot", not "your an idiot."

June 14, 2009 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  138. JLLewison

57 yrs old and still having a crowd come to their feet, sing along, clap, dance, move to the music... I would have to agree with JackT. I wonder if James Irish keeps time of each concert and enjoyable time he is involved in... if indeed involved at all. The article noted Bruce made mention of the "hard times" ahead- seems to me he is in touch with the world around him. Thumbs UP from me... just wish I could have witnessed another concert by The Boss.

June 14, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  139. shawn

Dude, the reality is, Bruce Springsteen is no Boss and he couldnt sing his way out of a port-o-pottie. The only reason he ever got famous is because he is jew. He sucks, he's overrated and I personally wouldnt walk across the street to see him pick his nose.

June 14, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Brian H

Hey James,

You are the idiot. What other act plays 28 songs and how is that not a full set when he plays close to 3 hours? Bottom line is he is the best live act ever and you are probably one of those jerks that goes in with a closed mind unwilling to give the man a chance. Whether you like his music or not his live shows kick ass. One more time – you are the idiot you hick.

June 14, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  141. James Irish

OMG...your an idiot...he sucked so bad and did not even play the fully contracted set....I feel ripped off...I have no idea what you were watching but it sucked.....

June 14, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  142. JackT

At 57 years old and having gone to the original Woodstock and Strawberry Fields and numerous concerts when I was younger, there is only ONE concert left now that I would attend. And, that is Bruce Springsteen. He usually plays a 4 hour concert, now maybe down to 3 hours as he is getting on in years. Total energy from start to finish. Best live performer EVER! And, I say that not just because I was born and raised in New Jersey, close to Bruce's hometown of Red Bank, N.J., but because he is truly the best performer out there, bar none. I have seen him in concert a dozen times over the years, but none lately.

June 14, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |