June 12th, 2009

Animal Collective mesmerizes at Bonnaroo

gal.dirty.projectors.cnn
A quick update from sunny Bonnaroo.

I just witnessed a mesmerizing digital freak-out by Animal Collective, whose self-described blend of “electronic horror gospel hip-hop, soul pop madness” was evident on standout tracks from their brilliant 6th studio album, Merriweather Post Pavilion, including “Summertime Clothes”, and a Bonnaroo-worthy extended jam on “Fireworks” from the album Strawberry Jam.

The most-pleasant surprise so far was a lively set of beautiful harmonies and African & reggae inspired beats by The Dirty Projectors (pictured above), as the band enthralled the audience with tracks from their most recent album, Bitte Orca.

British rock band Gomez kicked off a rousing performance showcasing their considerable talents and wide-ranging musical styles – a blend of blues, country, and psychedelic rock – with songs of their new album, New Tide.

Spotted behind the scenes (and behind the stage):
* Triumph the Insult Comic Dog interviewing TV on the Radio
* Artist Ani DiFranco and actor Janeane Garafalo talking politics
* Serenade performances by Katzenjammer and The Low Anthem

The conditions are better than I hoped considering last-night’s downpour.
The air is steamy, the grounds muddy, but so far the rain has stayed away.

The crowds and size of this place are a little daunting. I’ve yet to see the main stage. But will soon as Al Green, The Beastie Boys and later Phish take center stage.

Stay tuned to the Marquee Blog for more updates, and you can also follow my exploits on Twitter.

Post by:
Filed under: Bonnaroo • Music • Uncategorized

1. Hawk

GET THE DIRTY PROJECTORS NEW ALBUM CALLED "BITTE ORCA" AND LISTEN TO "USEFUL CHAMBER" INTO THE SONG CALLED "NO ITENTION"......the music speaks for itself!

June 18, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Huh?

I may be ignorant, or just plain do not get it, but typing this message is making music????? It takes skill, talent, and years and years of hard work to play an instrument. I don't think typing qwerty and having sound come out is making music. It is fun and exciting to watch "live" instruments. Hitting wrong notes, missing cues etc is part of the show. What do you get when you just have to push a button and start a loop? To me thats lazy and predictable.

June 15, 2009 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hmm

Most of us are savvy enough to find our own tunes. Using a source like P4K is just one way to be exposed. Blogs and friends, another. Going to shows, yet another. Maybe we like the opener! Going to shows of bands we've never heard of, wow, what a concept! What do you do, Kamrath??? Still etch Led Zepp into your notebooks???

June 15, 2009 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Matt

Animal Collective has some alright stuff, but is massively overrated. They mess around with computers to make uniquely composed songs. But their melodies are not that great, for the most part.

June 15, 2009 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kamrath

I would be a lot of you discover music through Pitchfork, how sad.

June 14, 2009 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Greg

FYI keyboards are instruments. As Jonny Greenwood says, it's odd to think that a voice or guitar that is recorded through a microphone, processed, layered onto an album and played through speakers is regarded as more "immediate" or "real" than keyboards or drum machines. I agree that Animal Collective isn't for everyone, but they are a great band. I just saw Dirty Projectors open for TV on the Radio in Central Park and I'm glad to see them get some good press.

June 14, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Coop

Saw the Animal Collective show in the trees of Big Sur a few weeks back... such an experience!

June 14, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Samantha

i was actually lucky enough to see animal collective on their final tour date before bonnaroo, and they put on one hell of a show.

June 14, 2009 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Really?

Richard, I'm probably cleaner than you.

June 14, 2009 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nick

it's funny when people disagree with an opinion and resort to name calling. keep listening to nickelback, richard.

June 14, 2009 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Melissa

Tyson – were you able to catch the Decemberists show? We saw them up here in Maryland and then again on the AT&T webcast last night. They were awesome!

June 14, 2009 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jonathan

Bitte Orca by the Dirty Projectors is an incredible album. One of the best in recent memory, and I urge everyone to seek it out. I've seen a few performances of Animal Collective online and they didn't really impress me. They are an amazing studio band, but their songs seem to complex to recreate live.

June 14, 2009 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Huh?

Not a fan of Animal Collective and electronica in general. I am oldschool and prefer instruments rather than a keyboard.

June 14, 2009 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Richard

Ugh. I refuse to get on the Animal Collective bandwagon. Experimental, innovative, talented, blah, blah, blah.
    Shut up and shower, you insipient hipsters.

June 14, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nick

Animal Collective is easily one of the most innovative bands making music. it is not for everyone, but for me they're one of the best.

June 14, 2009 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  16. bob roberts

I am at Bonnaroo and I surprised no one mentioned Fat White Chicks. Their cd "taste the ham" was an underground standout. I do think they rip off Animal Collective though especially with the background rythyms.

June 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. McQ

I'm an old rocker, but Animal Collective's Summertime Clothes really caught my attention on the local college station. I watched some of their performances thanks to YouTube. They're on to something. Remains to be seen if they can keep it up!

June 13, 2009 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Bob Builder

Now that even CNN is praising AC, is it not cool for me to like them anymore?

June 13, 2009 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. PBR

chills, pills an' thrills to ALL the merrymakers in Manchester!

June 13, 2009 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Robert Jordan

1.) Animal Collective's music is not "pop."
    2.) A small mention in a bonnaroo article does not make CNN bandwagon jumpers, merely good reporters on the most important band in America. Don't hate.
    3.) Animal collective is indeed an acquired taste, but once you get it there is nothing like it.
    4.) Really wish I would have been there.

June 13, 2009 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lola

Who started Bonnaroo? Is there a story behind it? Just curious.

June 13, 2009 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jonathan

man i wish i was at bonnaroo this year :(

June 13, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  23. js

mike d, have you ever heard animal collective? they are pretty much a pop band at this point.

June 13, 2009 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Really?

Mike, Animal Collective is experimental. It's not for everyone, and it's an acquired taste. It's okay to dislike it, but you can't knock talent and innovation.

June 13, 2009 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Chris

Mike D, you most likely lack the ability to appreciate good music, it's prevalent in 90% of the population. Go back to your American Idol tunes, I'll keep AC.

June 13, 2009 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  26. brandon

Pitchfork music news and their trendy hipster writers are expected to put Animal Collective on an undeserved pedestal. But now CNN ???

June 13, 2009 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mike D.

Animal Collective is TERRIBLE. I'm not sure how it is even classified as music.

June 13, 2009 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Merry

It is so strange to read of this amazing event happening in Manchester, TN! I am from Manchester and never in my wildest dreams was Manchester destined to the place for .... anything. Don't get me wrong, I love Manchester. It is just somewhat surreal that once a year this small farming community becomes a "destination."

June 13, 2009 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  29. Austin

Animal Collective puts on a VERY interactive and entertaining show.
    Are they still doing the Patterned LED display? Some pictures of the band in the headline would be nice!

June 13, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  30. Andrew

The Dirty Projectors' most recent album is in fact Bitte Orca.

June 13, 2009 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  31. joe

the headline is animal collective, but that is a picture of dirty projectors whose new album is called Bitte Orca. maybe you should promote an intern to writer CNN, your age is showing.

June 13, 2009 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  32. michael b.

Just a quick note, the Dirty Projectors latest album is not Rise Above, it's called Bitte Orca and just came out this week.

June 13, 2009 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  33. Chris

Jealous. If I didn't have to stay here for my Accounting class I would have so been at Bonnaroo, and yes Animal Collective are tremendously good.

June 13, 2009 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |