June 8th, 2009

'Jon and Kate' turn 100!

Tonight marks the 100th episode of Jon and Kate Plus Eight.  Believe it or not, I’ve seen almost every episode! What originally attracted me to the show was how relatable the family was. During a time when the airwaves were filled with “Reality TV” drivel, this was a show about real people with real problems. By now all of you know the story: Jon and Kate Gosselin fell in love, got married and ended up with 8 kids in 4 years.

In the beginning it was interesting to watch Jon and Kate figure out how to do simple everyday things with all of the kids.  How do you get 8 kids up, dressed, and fed? How do you go food shopping for a family of ten or take a family of ten on vacation on a budget? It was refreshing.

Then things started to change.  The show that had been so reality based seemed to shift- subtly at first and then in more obvious ways.  I remember thinking it was odd that they could suddenly afford trips that they hadn’t been able to in the past.  But then I noticed the lingering camera shots of entrances of  hotels, began listening to Kate rave about her favorite spa as we saw her being pampered and watched Jon and Kate get matching teeth whitening services.  I felt like the show I had loved was slipping away and being replaced with one long commercial with really cute kids thrown in.  The penultimate episode that was the special where Jon and Kate renewed their vows.  What should have been a touching celebration was awkwardly punctuated by extreme product placement.

There has been a lot of speculation that the problems that Jon and Kate are facing have to do with their instant fame.  Jon himself has admitted that he is uncomfortable with it.  But then one has to wonder, why not walk away?

1. BonnieInTexas

I am so sad. I loved watching this show and seeing how the family managed. All those years, Kate begged Jon to spend more time with the family and he even changed his job so that he could work at home. Through that whole career thing we saw Jon getting cut off from anyone other than domineering Kate and 8 wild kids.

Now, both parents are snippy to one another. Both parents are gone. Rarely are they seen together and when they are they make snide comments – Kate's being more overt. She needs to BACK OFF and try to reconcile.

I am not going to watch this train wreck any longer. Last night I felt so sad for Emeril locked in between the two bitter parents. Kate pretends to be the only one who was hurt during this disaster but she got her licks in.

Reconcile or get off the air. We are not learning anything constructive from the current mess.

June 9, 2009 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Chris W

I thought the 100th episode with Emeril was cute, and Kate and Jon seemed to get along ok, though not sure how long ago it was taped. She just can't stop needling him about little things ('do you know where the oven is, Jon?" etc) and bossing him around. Wonder how she'd feel if he did that to her constantly for all the world to see?

If Kate would be nicer to Jon and stop being so snide and bossy, I'd like the show to continue, but only until the little ones are about the same age of the older girls. The littlle kids are adorable. but the two older girls are sort of losing their charm just because they're growing up. Thus, I think this show probably has a "built-in" expiration date. The show is cute and fun when the kids are little and amusing, but not so much as they grow up.

So all of you Kate-H8ers out their probably won't have to put up with her much longer – the show will eventually die out on its own because the audience will lose interest as the little ones grow up. Kate probably understands this and is "making hay while the sun shines" right now before it's all over, to ensure her (giant) family's financial future.

June 9, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Renee

TLC, PLEASE STOP EXPLOITING THESE CHILDREN!

YOU HAVE LOST A VIEWER.

June 9, 2009 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pete

I know all the arguments, agree with most of them. Kate is not nice to John. Even if he didn't really cheat, John shouldn't have acted out the way he did, especially in light of the glaring spotlight on their family.

The one positive I can see is that they are taking their time, not getting divorced right away. I am rooting for them to work it through and rebuild their marriage.

June 9, 2009 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ahhhyeah

Way things are going they should just rename the show.
    "Jon and Kate plus H8"

June 9, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chris

Let's be honest here. Money may not buy you happiness, as we are now seeing, but it does buy a lot of "stuff". They just aired their 100th episode. At $75000 per episode, I think they have enough to pay 8 tuitions and then some. My opinion, the party's over. End it now with an ounce of self respect left. No one wants to see the money hungry shrew pimping out her family for more cash!!

June 9, 2009 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. Theresa

I think that both have cheated on each other. As far as the kids they are all darling and my favorite is Hannah. But what is up with Mady? I can hardly bear to look at that mean spirited child. She really is the one in the family that needs some help. I worry that she will hurt one of her younger siblings if they don't do something about her mean and jealous anger. Such an angry little girl!! And because of what comes out of her she is ugly on the outside too. TLC do us a favor and quit showing us Mady!!!

June 9, 2009 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. Big Joe

To Rosemary Sanders:

Spoken like a true feminist.

Anyone with even a passing knowledge of psychology can see that Kate's –let's face it– hateful attitude towards her husband over the past four years has beaten him down to a shell of his former self. If you ask me, the clubbing and late nights with his friends is his way of acting out and showing the world that he is NOT the guy they portray on the show...or at least that he doesn't WANT to be.

Kate is an abusive wife. Yes, abuse comes in many different forms, and Kate's constant berating of her husband is abusive (when's the last time on the show that you heard her say something totally and genuinely positive about Jon without adding some sort of barb at the end). She berates him as a husband, as a father, and as a man.

Jon didn't choose to be unemployed. Whether he was let go "for cause" or not, it seems to me that the decision was made JOINTLY that Jon would be Mr. Mom while Kate jetted across the country to sign books and smile for morning show cameras and take every opportunity to solicit pity from the public.

June 9, 2009 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. Rick James

They need to have an episode where Jon drives up in a totally decked-out cadillac. It should have hydraulics, spinners, tinted windows (including the windshield), dual tailpipe, and a huge speakered stereo system with base so powerful it can be heard 3 blocks away. He should step out of his car wearing at least 20 lbs of gold jewelry and have a grill on his teeth. He should walk into the house and show off his brand new $500 custom designed Nike shoes, only to have Kate steal away the attention.

It should then pan over to Kate where she shows off her new addon to the house that includes a $30,000 hot tub with multi-colored lighting and built-in massage. She should then show how they remodeled their bathroom to have all of the light and sink fixtures gold-plated, and the toilet paper has been replaced with dollar bills sewn together.

They can then put the focus back on the kids by showing that they have hired a personal trainer for each of them, and they all have their own laptop computers and playstation 3/XBox 360/Wiis (depending on their individual preferences). They also each have their own 60 inch flatscreen tvs!

This episode would prove to me that they have adjusted well to their new lifestyle and everything is totally happy. I would watch every single episode from that point on.

June 9, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. moonbeam

No one can convince me the way Kate talks to Jon is necessary. Watch out for Maddy. I know she is only a child but her tantrums got on my last nerve. She is turning into Kate. This show needs to go.

June 9, 2009 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. gloria

Hey Liz, do you know what "change the channel means?"

June 9, 2009 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. Debbie

I think Kate needs to learn how to love her husband and put their marriage as the utmost important thing before the entire marriage crashes. She thinks she and those cameras are important, try getting love from the camera and who will listen to you when your kids are grown and Jon gets tired of putting up with you????

June 9, 2009 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. Rose

I felt sad when my husband and I's bestfriend's got a divorce and now I feel sad that Jon & Kate are heading toward's divorce. We have three children and are going through alot of the same things they were going through with their children. We related to them and their family and now it is so sad to see them falling apart. I feel like I cannot watch the show with my kids because it is too complicated for now.

June 9, 2009 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Arlene Kowakski

I love the show, and I respect Jon and Kate. They should be allowed to decide for themselves if they continue the show.. Remember they may be contractually required to stay on the air for as long as TLC
    wants. I watch the program faithfully and have every episode on DVD
    I do not htink the chikdren are suffering in any way, and as for taking
    advantage of opportunities offeres to them, who wouldn't?

June 9, 2009 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. Leslie

Love the Kids!!!

June 9, 2009 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. Ann Marino

On ET tonight..June 8 2009 they had mentioned Jon and Kate were together again.........Is this true? Man, I sure hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 8, 2009 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  17. JUST ME

I hope that Jon and Kate Find a way to salvage their marraige. If not then I wish Kate all the best. She is the only reason I watched this program in the first place ( kids were cute, but that only goes just so far).

I always wondered what in the world she ever saw in wishie washie Jon in the first place. She is the strong one and made every thing work out no matter what was going on.

Jon will end up with some trailor park trash and Kate will have her cute kids and if she is lucky at some point maybe a REAL man will come along and make her happy.

June 8, 2009 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  18. liz

I'm tired of Jon and Kate and their show. Please cancel it!

June 8, 2009 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. L.Wondering

Boy, you expressed just how I feel about Jon & Kate..etc. I refuse to watch the show any longer. I believe too much of it has been set up and the freshness is gone. Also, Kate turned into a hideous shrew. So, no more of Jon and Kate for this person and I know many people who feel the same.

June 8, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Lizzy

They can't walk away from something that provides their family with everything that they thought they would never be able to afford. We shouldn't watch or view this show as a family who is trying to be famous, we should watch it as a family who is like everyone else. They are simply a family with everyday problems, the only exception is that they're just letting everyone watch it.

June 8, 2009 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Rosemary Sanders

I would much prefer a spouse with Kate's work ethics vs Jon unemployed whimp always the victim chip on his shoulder attitude.

When he said he didn't like being known as Jon & Kate + 8 I know the eight could feel the love.

Rosemary Sanders