June 1st, 2009

Susan Boyle’s rollercoaster journey

The first time I watched the infamous Susan Boyle YouTube, I cried- I’ll admit it. I might have shed a tear the second time I watched it too.  There was something about watching an ordinary woman do the extraordinary that truly touched me. I wasn’t the only one she made an impact on- that original audition has had over 100 million hits on YouTube to date.

Susan became a worldwide sensation and an instant celebrity but as every celebrity will tell you there is a price to fame.  Along with makeovers and appearances on Oprah come constant paparazzi and naysayers waiting for you to fail.  Within the last week Susan appeared to be on the brink- she lost her cool with journalists in the lobby of her hotel and there were rumors that she was threatening to quit the show.

Despite all of that Susan Boyle stood on the stage of Britain’s Got Talent and sang her heart out during the finals this weekend.  She sang “I Dreamed a Dream” from Les Miserables, the song from the famous YouTube clip where the world fell in love with her in the first place.  She wowed the judges who applauded her for not only her performance, but for her grace under pressure.

It seemed as if her fate was sealed and she would be crowned the winner; but it was not meant to be. The dance group Diversity was named the winner and Susan Boyle, looking worn and defeated was gracious, saying “The best people won.”

Details are still emerging about what exactly happened once Susan went back to her hotel that night.  There are reports in the British media that Susan had checked into London’s Priory clinic but citing confidentiality they would not reveal whether she had been admitted.  What we do know right now is that she is taking some time off to recover from the rollercoaster that her life has been for the last few weeks.

In a statement to Showbiz Tonight the production company for Britain’s Got Talent said:

“Following Saturday night's show, Susan is exhausted and emotionally drained. She has been seen by her private GP who supports her decision to take a few days out for rest and recovery. We offer her our ongoing support and wish her a speedy recovery.”

For the latest developments on Susan Boyle’s incredible journey and what really happened after the Britain’s Got Talent finale be sure to tune in to Showbiz Tonight at 11pm Eastern and Pacific on HLN- don’t miss it!

1. Meryl Heasman

Love the voice of Susan Boyle she is an excellent singer I wish her all the best for the future, my dream would be to hear her sing one of my songs especially The Journey which I feature on you tube.

July 18, 2010 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. elo

for the first time in my life i watched the you tube all because of susan boyle. come on she is the very best and the best thing that has happened in the history of reality shows the whole wide world.
    my question is: has she been signed up yet . what are those people that produce music waiting for. i don't usually buy cd's but men i am already saving $1.00 a day for the very first cd i am gonna buy ---susan boyles hit album. COnGRATULATIONS SUSAN BOYLE YOU ARE NUMERO UNO! YOU ARE THEVERY BEST AND I PROMISE I'M GONNA BUY TWO OF YOUR CD'S AND I'M GONNA GIVE ONE OUT TO THE FIRST PERSON I SEE AFTER PAYING FOR THE CD'S

June 3, 2009 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mikey

Susan – here's some real advice

1 - they USED you to get ratings.
    2 - you're playing it very well right now.

Options:

A) See if you can get a record deal out of this. Make sure its a real contract that they sign and are under obligation to pay you

B) See if they'll give you millions for the ratings and money in advertisement you brought to Simon and company

C) If they won't give you a deal or a good chunk of money - SUE the heck out of them for mental cruelty and the kitchen sink. I'm sure the laws in England are different but hey – try. If not, come to America – we'll take you.

There – that's some real advice for you.

June 2, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Shelia Bumgarner

The British press make me sick in their treatment of this very senstive soul. Susan Boyle has a great gift, and I pray that she will find the courage to pursue her dream as a singer without fear from the sychophants and the beastly press.

June 2, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jakln

I sincerely hope the Queen does "invite" Susan to sing for her. That would definitely be a greater honor than winning as someone else commented! Give the lady a chance to absorb her new life and sort out how it fits her and then she'll find her way and I'll bet long before the "winners" hit the big time Susan will be singing for the Queen.

June 2, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. just joe

,,,oh, they are dancers, not singers................sort of a limited act to book.

June 2, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. just joe

I'm glad to see that the British tabloids are as vile as ours here in the good ole USA. LEAVE THE WOMAN ALONE, WILL YA.....Two years from now, well after 25 kids sing for the Queen....as will Susan, I am sure...she will be able to retire on her record royalties (which I am anxious to buy, Simon). She could use a good mentor.....someone far, far, far from the whole media circus..............remember Kate Smith, anyone?

Anyway, thanks for the "news" article. ... another triumph of blipcasting.

June 2, 2009 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Amalor

Something to remember, finishing second does not mean she can't perform before the Queen. She can always be invited, which would be a greater honor, I think, than winning the right. If the Queen invites her, it means she really wants to hear her in person.

Susan, you have touched the world. Take care of yourself, and when you're ready, we'll all be here waiting for you.

June 2, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. justice

Just give her time to adjust and understand what is happening in her life. When she finds out what she really wants she will be ready to face the world in every sense of the word.
    Let her find herself and we will have the opportunity to hear her beautiful voice again.

June 2, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. JP

I agree, I hope she gets a good record deal and puts out multiple CD's in multiple genres (High Holy Christmas Music, Contemporary {play it while you are cooking or decorating the house} Christmas Music, something Jazzy for New Years, maybe a collection of some good old 'inspire the boys' WWI & WWII songs for the summer, maybe even 'hop the pond' and put one out for the Americas for this summer for the 4th., How about some Swing?, I could go on and on.)
    I have not doubt she could pull it off.
    My hat is off to her.
    Best way to cure a broken heart, fall back in love with what brought you there in the first place, the love of singing and the way it impacts people. Go Girl Go!!!!

June 2, 2009 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. Marion Kell

Susan may have placed second in talent, but she is first in the hearts of the world.
    This story is still being told. I believe she'll bounce back with the 'Susan spunk' that we have grown to love in her.

June 1, 2009 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Allen

errata .. 1997 rendition

June 1, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Allen

I heard her 1977 rendition of "Cry me River" (Google it..YouTube)

She should have sung that in the finale, it is incredible, jazzy blues style...great stuff.

I HOPE she gets her rest and comes back stronger than ever. With the right help she can overcome most of this.

Al

June 1, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Wanda

I think she is recovering from a broken heart....She fell in love with pierce, and when she lost she figured that was her connection with him and she thought he was disappointed with her......I don't think she has been in love like this........

June 1, 2009 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Franky

I realized this cause of a Tweet so there you go, LOL!!

Amazing how news gets, huh?

June 1, 2009 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Franky

Can I say something? Leave...her...alone!!!!!!

There's a reason why I talked crap in the very beginning, leave her alone!! You can pick on Octomom for all I care and come on, the British judge, whoever the name he is, he's a moron!! And no, Simon ain't a moron, he's an imbecile, the other judge!!! Asking Susan on a date like nothing, you people are wasting time!! Be f-- nice!! Don't make check you people...

And I was gonna come here to talk crap about Cona's show, stupid NBC!!! Is their damn fault that the NHL playoffs had back to back games for the time in 50+ years, if you don't want em, then don't take em! And people are acting like if these hosts are gone forever, they ain't gone!! Not with the damn exposure and all that crap, look at Conan! He came up months later, the same with Jay, is gonna be the same thing...

Hey, you can win the argument but you ain't gonna win the reliability...

June 1, 2009 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  17. saywhat

Susan's apparent recent tirade I believe caused her to lose the competition. I mean, get real. A dance group to perform before the queen? I'm sure the queen would appreciate Susan's singing moreso. But fame can be hard, and the public can be very unforgiving. No one wants to know that that sweet lady who they voted for can become so unglued.
    I do feel sorry for Susan, and her apparent "breakdown" makes me feel even sadder for her.
    But people who opt to perform at these talent shows, reality shows etc must go prepared for what happens when they're in the limelight, or refrain from going.
    As we say in the Caribbean, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".

June 1, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Barbara

I feel sorry for her. Everyone is trying to change her looks. Let her be who she is.

June 1, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  19. LBW

She has a timeless gift. I look forward to CD's of love songs, Broadway tunes and Christmas music from this angel. The group that beat her were hopping around in funny clothes. Ten years from now they will be gone. I hope that she lives the rest of her life happy and wealthy. I can't wait for the first CD!

June 1, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sioux

afraid*

June 1, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sioux

She simply wasn't prepared for the cost that comes with stardom. I can't blame her. But hey, at least she got her name out there, and had people shed a few tears when they were moved by the song. Not everyone can say such a thing. She should just be happy with herself. But I'm afriad that the whole "Hollywood' effect was taking a hold of her.

June 1, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |