May 20th, 2009

Top 2: Cyndi Lauper and the other rocker chick

The little rocker chick is back to do a duet with Cyndi Lauper.

Cyndi Lauper

I've missed Allison Iraheta, and she more than holds her own with Cyndi on "Time After Time."  I like the arrangement and their singing in a round. Such a pretty song, even when they start what sounds like a loony chant.

We get to hear from the Allens and the Lamberts, and they are so proud.  Side note: Kris Allen's mama has on a red dress that is really something - and I won't say what!

Filed under: television

« Previous entry
  1. lindylou

I agree with Sue – it was a GREAT finale. They really did a great job this season, the finale couldnt have been better. Seeing KISS again was a real KICK !! ...and Rod Stewart is as sexy as ever. All the performers were fantastic and this is probably the first year that I may consider going to the top 12 concert !!
    I agree too that the votes should be limited...maybe 1 vote per phone number.
    In any case...it was a great show....at least AMERICAN IDOL got it right !!!!!!!

May 21, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. karen

Danny should have won .. not these loosers

May 21, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lindylou

Congratulations Kris, (although I was voting for Adam).
    I think Kris won because all the Danny Gokey fans voted for the next best thing to Danny – which to them was Kris.
    I know Adam will have a fantastic career even without being America's Idol. I just hope Kris does too.

May 21, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bonnie Tebo

Questioning Adam's Sexuality?!? What is wrong with this country?
    That's disgusting. This was a singing competition not who we liked more or less for whatever reason, or decided to make up to understand the outcome of the contest. (And for what it's worth I don't believe there's a question and then who cares!) Regardless of the vote they both won. And as they say the proof is in the pudding, excuse the cliche.
    Adam is the best "vocalist "ever to appear on American Idol who made that obvious from day one. No other contestant has ever done that. I think this proves America can't get it right. No offense to Chris but Adam is a much better vocalist than all of the contestants and that is more than obvious to anyone that knows music. He deserves a lot of credit for the work he must have done to get where he is and I'm sure he'll get it in the future. As for American Idol, I don't think I'll watch it anymore. As hard as the judges try you can't get America to vote for the singing...it is a singing competion.

May 21, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pauline

I think the right artist won!! It was an artist they were looking for right?
    Kris plays 2 instruments and is a great singer not a screamer like Adam!!
    And Simon could have at least stood up like the other judges did!!

May 21, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MJ

The judges tell us all season long that Idol is a singing competition. On that basis alone, Adam wins. But Idol is also based on popularity and comfort zone. It is this combination that put Kris over the top and toppled Adam. The Gokey crowd went for Kris.

May 21, 2009 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sue

I really wanted Adam to win but I had a feeling that is was going to
    be Chris because Danny and him were about the same.
    Fans that voted for Danny probably went for Chris in the
    last epsiode. I would like to see American Idol go to just
    2 votes per household or text number. This would be
    best for all contestants. It was still a great finale and I
    wish Adam all the luck.

May 21, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Christy

I have been a loyal follower of Amercian Idol and I must say that the results show was the best show ever. I was an Adam fan from his first audition and remember telling my husband "he is going to win this". The top 5 is when I began to flop back and forth on who would actually win this....I totally believed that Adam was the outright winner but it's true about the quote "you love him or hate him" there is no gray area so I thought Adam had it in the bag. Kris on the other hand actually grew musically as the show progressed where Adam remained his consistant self and that, I believe, is why Kris won. He sang his first song (a repeat) better than he performed it the first time he sang it. He can play the piano and guitar and can create great arrangements. Adam, well, he stayed the same. I fully expected Adam to win but Kris really deserved it. I screamed with excitement and shock at the results. WOW! One for the underdog!

May 21, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brandi

Actually the truth is that Danny should've won but if he couldn't, i'm glad that Kris did but it proves this is more of a beauty contest than a singing competition.

May 21, 2009 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jon N.

Well, if our household was an example of how America voted, I am not surprised at all. My 12 yo daughter was not swayed by the whole 'glam rocker' thing that Adam had going, but she was swooning over Chris' cuteness, his simple music and the wry smile. My wife was in love with Adam, just as she was with AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, KISS and Heart when she was 12 years old. When it came time to vote, my wife was out-gunned as she only voted 6 times for Adam while my technology savy daughter programmed our multiple cell phones to dial-vote for Kris until she hit 30 votes. In the end, our household voted for Kris 5 to 1 over Adam by sheer inginuity and stamina by the 'tween. Congratulations Kris, but well done to both of you.

May 21, 2009 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. melanie

The whole thing was rigged...no votes counted.
    Do you really think that Rupert Murdock's right wing FOX station would actually allow a gay icon to win? The Christian right would not have tolerated it!

May 21, 2009 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. morris

The show's weakness is it's judges. In love with their own voices, they could not, however, say the obvious: that Chris' crooning was in no way comparable to the vocal gymnastics, the emotional power and the sheer rollicking entertainment of Adam Lambert. The judge's pandering to the possibility that Chris would win more votes, lowers the believability and vitality of American Idol. American Idol has become empty flash and pomp.

May 21, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ivan

I love that Kris Allen won. Because finally, the show is OVER. My goodness, how much longer do we have to put up with shows like that. Oh no, that means the reality shows will start filling in the gap. Bring back IDOL!!!.

May 21, 2009 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeannie Nichols

The last few songs that Kris sang is what made me want him to win.
    He's a wonderful singer. I was tired of the high pitched screaming of the other guy

May 21, 2009 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SaraG

I was totally blown away by Kris' win! Elated! Ecstatic!
    I think Adam is one talented guy, but definitely appeals to only a certain percentage of the record buying public. Even KISS said he would be better suited to the group QUEEN....and would not take him on tour with them....
    Kris is just an all American guy, well rounded and appeals to the mass majority.

Adam definitely has a future in the music business, no doubt about it, he is extraordinarily talented !

Good Luck and Best Wishes to "The Champions"
    ~SaraG~

May 21, 2009 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jeffrey Scott

of course Chris won, do you really think america is ready for its first black president and its first gay american idol all in the same year
    again, america has chosen the blandest, least exciting or interesting contestant who will be forgotten in less than a year, anyone remember taylor hicks, apparently to be an idol means you have to be boring and completely sanitized for the american public to vote for you, thank god my definition of an idol is not that
    vive la mediocrity

May 21, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Pat Hill-Yandell

I've voted for Kris Allen throughout the season and was thrilled, though a little surprised when his name was announced as the winner last night. Adam has a strong resounding voice and tremendous stage presence and he will move on to become a star in his own right regardless of not being THE Idol winner. Kris appeals to a broader range of people; less mainstream, and is multi-talented bringing guitar and piano to blend with his voice. I wish all of the Idol contestants luck with their future goals and hope they will remember to be good role models!

May 21, 2009 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Denise

Great show! Great season! Wow!!!!!!!!!

May 21, 2009 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. PaulaSuzz

What a bunch of sore losers!!!! My guy didn't win, but I'm not going to make up a bunch of excuses why & also insult certain social groups because my guy didn't win. You people need to recognize!

May 21, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. gloria

Wonderful, fun, exciting performance by all. We truly enjoyed the show. Happy for Chris–winner, Adam you are great too and will go far. YOU both are Champions!!!

May 21, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Laramy

If u take away the back up singers, lighting, costumes.... was Adam a better singer. I dont think so. I believe that America got it right. The judges need to stop proclaiming who the winner is going to be. They were extremely bias this year. Hopefully the judges, especially Paula who y cannot sing and dance at the same time, and Kara who needs to prove her paycheck, get the message and stop proclaiming the victor. Dont get me wrong I think that Adam is a great performer but if u take away the screaming and the theatrics....he is not

May 21, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. disenchanted

I don't know why everyone says they are so shocked. Obviously the public liked Kris better then Adam. Just because Simon thinks his is the one that should have won doesn't mean the public agrees with him. I don't think is infalable.

May 21, 2009 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  23. sequimjem

It is nice to see that the majority of people who voted have common sense as to what I think true music really is. Although Adam had the flamboyant stage presence, he screamed and yelled through most of his songs. He did appeal to the true rockers. On the other hand, Kris has a purer voice and will not go hoarse in a few years. One can listen to his music over and over again and not go deaf! He will have more longevity.

May 21, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  24. martyb14

I best man won. Chris Allen deserves all this and more. Adam is a good entertainer, but Chris is the BEST singer. Adam will get his recording contract and all the other accolades he deserves, but Chris deserved to win.

May 21, 2009 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Kathryn

I'll simply quote Kris Allen, "Adam deserved this!"

In my opinion, Adam Lambert is the most talented singer to ever compete on America Idol. Adam deserved to win, nothing against Kris, but Adam is super talented!!

May 21, 2009 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  26. David

Instead of American Idol they ought to call it Teenie Bopper Idol or the
    Ten Year Olds Idol but they can never call it Americas Most talented
    Idol because last night proved that it just isn't true

May 21, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  27. CeeCee

Obviously, the majority of Americans "who voted" preferred Kris' down-to-earth style. I've heard many say they did not like when Adam screached in his high pitch voice and did not appreciate his eccentric/theatrical style. I personally love Adam, but believe they are both extremely talented, just in different ways. Adam may be better off not bound to an Idol contract, as I feel was the case with Chris Daughtry. However, I look forward to Kris' album which I expect to enjoy for the long term, from beginning to end.

May 21, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  28. David

American Idol proved once again that the best contestant doesn't always win and all of you Allen fans that think he is as talented as Adam are either tone deaf or can't really recognize true talent. Allens win is a farce and sends a message to future contestants that talent doesn't matter if you can't please the religious sector of this country then you don't stand a chance. Tha is just crazy.

May 21, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  29. SJ

Well, I guess we know what one state in the South did for four hours two nights ago...texted like crazy. To the rest of the nation, it just must have seemed too obvious who the clear winner should be to make the call.

Sorry we let you down, Adam. But trust me...you will succeed in the music business well beyond your "frat boy" idol counterpart.

May 21, 2009 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Patty

I'm a fan of Chris and have been for a while. I like is music and Adam seemed to scream a lot. Everyone thought Adam was going to win, including me...but I'm so happy that Chris got it!!

May 21, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Katie

Allison sung way better than Lauper! Amazing.

May 21, 2009 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Marie

Well, America gets it wrong yet again. Once more, the wrong person wins. Had people voted strictly on TALENT we know who would have won American Idol. But no, they voted on stupid things like looks, style, sexuality, eyeliner, and so forth. Even Kris himself remarked that Adam should have been the winner.
    So in the end, what happens? Kris gets to record Kara's horrid song about mountains and hurricanes, while Adam is free to go out and make awesome records and become a worldwide singing star (which he already is.) Remember a guy named Chris Daughtry? How successful is he lately? I rest my case.

May 21, 2009 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  33. Cyndi Lauper ROCKS!!!

GEEZ! Cyndi Lauper has still got it! She's amazing!

May 21, 2009 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  34. Beth

I meant to say earlier that I think this multiple voting from one phone is so....wrong. When Ryan says we've had several million votes...this isn't accurate because one person has been allowed to vote more than once. I think that each person should only be allowed to vote once then it would be a true count. This was my last Idol show to view because this isn't talent anymore it's popularity!

May 21, 2009 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  35. deb

Allison is hot! Cindy.....well....she's a bit weird.....come on.....we all know it and think it..... The song is a fairly good one though. Allison can do much better than that I believe. And she will........ Just step right over that one and move on you fantastic new perfomer!

May 21, 2009 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  36. JC

To Suzanne: Hello! Cyndi Lauper was playing a DULCIMER during that beautiful performance. You have to sit like that to play the instrument. Did you not notice that?

Suzanne May 20th, 2009 10:35 pm ET
    Was a sweet song, but I have a question for ya……could Cindi Lauper hold her legs ANY farther apart??? It really destracted from the song and made her look horrible……..she could have worn something different to make her look more glamorous instead of glamor-trash

May 21, 2009 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  37. Mark

Ok, is this Miss California in reverse? The gay guy gets voted off instead of the Christen.

May 21, 2009 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  38. Arnie Vaupel

Heather Locklear aside......What about Cyndi Lauper looking like the "ageless one"? Idol has some problems, none the least of which is spending such an enormous amount of time and effort promoting Adam and all the preening and gushing for him from all the judges and then to have the proverbial rug pulled out from under him by the viewer voters........almost puts your faith back in humanity and sanity,doesn't it? Still, it is obvious that Kris' win was more of a protest from the viewers that have been getting hit over the head with Adam for the past several weeks than a real vote for talent; And I'm saying this as more of a fan of Kris than that of Adam.....let's face it, Adam has some PIPES!

May 21, 2009 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  39. Al

Well it figures, Kris now has a 1 year contract with American Idol and Adam is free to start recording contracts. So who really won??

May 21, 2009 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  40. DJ

I think I'm really done with this show now – I said it before when Daughtery was voted off but last night was more than I can take. I was upset when Kris Allen stayed and Gokey left but this is absolutely ridiculous!!! It had to have been millions of 10 year olds calling in, otherwise he would have been gone weeks ago. Krisis a really cute guy and seems to be genuine but this is a talent show for God's sake!

May 21, 2009 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  41. Beth

Chris was correct when he said after winning "Adam should have won"...so true! Chis is a nice singer but there is a huge amount of "nice singers"...Adam is awesome and is the best singer American Idol has ever had on their show! Adam will have a tremendous future in singing and Chris...well we may hear from him at the first but just like several other Idol winners...they soon fade out of the limelight! Adam Lambert rocks!!!!

May 21, 2009 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  42. LOLO

Congrats Kris Allen, you deserved. I loved the look on Paula Abdul's face. She was in shock. She ranted and raved about Adam and basically declared him the winner. Katie Perry wore a cape with Adam's name on it which was totally unprofessional.

May 21, 2009 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  43. LindaD

This was a great show but over all a big dissapointment. Lets face it American has voted on other IDOL shows and picked the wrong person before. Chris is talented and can sing but so can alot of other people, Danny, Allison are also just as good as Chris and maybe better. As a musician I can honestly say that Adam has the best vocals but unfortunaelty I agree it has become a popularity contest. Something has to change producers. Run it so the audience gets a percentage of votes and the judges get a pecentage of vote to keep it sane. Adam will go right to the top in his career. The is no way anything can stop him, he is a superstar even thought America voted wrong. I an not sure I could watch another season right now. America you voted wrong. This is a contest of who has the best overall vocals not a popularity contest. Sad, day

May 21, 2009 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  44. Drew

This is definitely a joke….if this show is really a singing contest Adam Lambert would have been the winner by a landslide…obviously people that voted for Kris voted for him for other reasons….I am really disappointed… I have followed American Idol from the first season and by far Adam is the best singer ever to be on American Idol…none of the idols that have gone before are as good and I don’t think we will see one as good any time soon…the Judges got it right Adam is the best. By the way I am not American but every one from my country had Adam to win….even Kris know’s he is not as good as Adam…however I am sure that Adam will get a hugh recording contract from a major recording label and he will be a bigger recording artist than Kris.

May 21, 2009 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  45. David

Well look at it this way, Vegas finally has a replacement for Liberace in Adam and Chris can thank Goke for the votes that put him over. Now can we get back to our normal lives until January rolls around again!

May 21, 2009 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  46. cj

Enjoyed the show, but agree with others who think the "winner" was the guy who deserved second place. Even he knew it. I personally thought Danny and Adam, or Allison and Adam, would be the final two. Chris's voice is OK, but no better than millions of other voices out there. There were two or three real stars in the lineup this year, and Chris wasn't one of them. Allison's voice is incredible, and Adam really will be a rock god. Each week he's the one performer I couldn't wait to see, to find out what creative, incredible think he'd be doing this week. He never disappointed. His first version of Mad World may be one of my favorite all time performances. And now he's number two? Makes no sense at all.

On the up side, Adam is talented enough that, as Simon said, he'll be a world wide star. Chris will last only as long as he has a contract with American Idol. Seems like a nice guy, but not the one who should have won. Boo!

May 21, 2009 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  47. Lauren

For Adam NOT to win is ridiculous, and I won't watch the show again. What is wrong here? Adam is a STAR – an IDOL and Kris is a nice guy with mediocre talent. I'm done.

May 21, 2009 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  48. shemp

so glad adam did not win, alot of people that are upset claiming that they thought this was a singing competition and not a popularity competition are so wrong. adam was only there because of his looks and popularity. he ruined most of the songs he sang and should have been voted off after he DESTROYED ring of fire. if this truly was a singing competition then the only talented singers this season were allison man can she sing, danny and kris they were truly talented. lets face it adam did not loose because of his sexuality who cares which way he floats he was not the best singer he was ok and had a lot of stage presence thats it. i cannot believe how paula gushed over this man and professed him to be a rock god. so in final I am glad that kris won and that america got it right for once

May 21, 2009 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  49. Rhonda Quivers

Adam had me until he sang One by U2. a few episodes back. He is talented and interesting but a little too much Liza for some songs. Kris is great and I understand him being the American Idol because more people can relate to that type of singing. He is humble and adorable. Although his voice isn't as strong as Adam's and he gets drowned out by the music a lot. Both are fabulous and deserved the title for different reasons but there can only be one winner. Great finale! It was great to see Cyndi Lauper again after so many years. There's no one like her. Loved the performance by Cara. That took some courage. Good for her! Paula looked fabulous!

May 21, 2009 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  50. julian mercer

It's another SAD day "again" in american idol for not having the best talent not to win in this season. We all agree that Adam lambert is the top contestant and deserving to win. People were saying that the reason for not liking adam is because he is gay. That itself is discrimination. They did strip the chance of this talented person of winning the contest because of his sexual preference. Never again those exceptional talent individual will be encourage to join the contest because in the end it's about the how you look or what is your sexual orientation that will determine the chances of winning.

May 21, 2009 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  51. g.a.

let's just put it this way...........Kris Allen' s road has just ended, where as Adam's has just begun. What a disappointment to see Kris win , he even knows he is nothing, nothing compared to Adam.

May 21, 2009 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  52. lynette

THIS AMERICAN IDOL IS A CASE OF SIMON SAYS. wHAT A BLOODY DISAPPOINTMENT. ADAM WAS THE EBST BY FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

May 21, 2009 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  53. Ursirius

I knew Adam is going to lose against the God squadrons but thats ok. Adams Career is set in stone and Chris will do his little bit and disappear.
    Now please do your blog on "So you think you can dance". I don't know if you have seen it before, but this kids are just so incredibly talented and dedicated.

May 21, 2009 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  54. Paula

I am shocked that Kris won ...... but Adam is a superb entertainer and I will be the first in line to see him .... and yes I am over 50.... he has such power in his voice and attitude to go with his smile and memorable laugh.

May 21, 2009 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  55. Lorri

How disappointing! Both guys were very talented but Adam absolutely out sang Kris. His range was outstanding. I actually got goosebumps when Adam sang and can't say the same about Kris's preformances. However I will say that Kris is a true gentleman, very likable and a good preformer. I guess they are both American Idols in their own way.

May 21, 2009 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  56. Miguel

Although I'm disappointed that Adam lost, Kris Allen showed a tremendous amount of humility and class when he said that Adam deserved to win. I give him props for that. He probably won because of his looks and nice personality. Adam is the superior singer; by far. However, I'm sure Adam will have a brilliant career. I think what hurt Adam's chances was the speculation about his sexual orientation. It's unfortunate that an openly gay Idol contestant can't win.

May 21, 2009 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  57. jason

WOW Kris is good but Adam is in a league of his own. Everybody even Kris knew that Adam should have one...sorry Adam that america is to stupid to see your superior vocals

May 21, 2009 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  58. Michael Frank

Adam should have won and even Chris knew it. Doesn't mater though, they'll both be great and I'm sure Adam is relieved he doesn't have to make that hideous single!

May 21, 2009 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  59. Ron

Chris got it right Adam deserved the title. Adam was by far the most talented, best performer and the best singer Idol ever had on the show.

You can clearly see the teeny boppers are in charge of the phone voting.

My picks for the top 3 ...Adam... Danny..... Allison.

May 21, 2009 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  60. iris mazaroff

The Christians won another one. They know how to gang up when they need to. Kris' winning had nothing to do with outstanding singing, showmanship or looks. He's just your average nice guy, goes to church on Sunday. doesn't wear black nail polish and has a wife in the closet. Adam sings like there's no tomorrow and is the ultimate showman,,,,and he comes up second?? I can see it's all about who folks think you are, rather than what you can do. American Idol is NO talent show, and I'm so through watching it. Adam is the real winner in so many ways, and we all know it. His career is set. I can't wait to buy his first CD and thankfully it won't be songs chosen for him by Idol. Congratulations Adam!....and good luck Kris

May 21, 2009 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  61. sue

All you have to do is play back the duet of Kris and Kieth...Kris is a great musician and talent. America did get this one right!!! It was a fantastic finale, one of the best. Danny was awesome. And to all you Adam fans, he is incredible and will have a fabulous future.
    The only negative observation to the evening was Simon not standing and giving Kris the credit he deserved. I mean Simon 100 million votes can' t be all wrong. I thought that was really a slap not only to what the show stands for....America decides...but to a fine young man who is going places and deserved better than that.

May 21, 2009 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  62. tjw

Lambert is the better talent of the two but Adam will be fine. Congratulations, Kris. You won the vote. I like your style and believe you will be fine as well. I DO think that Adam performed better than Kris throughout the competition and I was surprised by this result...but I am happy for them both and glad the show has brought us two new, talented artists.

May 21, 2009 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  63. Ellen

This is more than an upset! This is an outrage! Kris Allen is a talented guy, no question. He deserved to be one of the final two contestants. However, when it came down to him and Adam, even Kris deferred to Adam's superior talent. Sadly, I believe the results were deliberately tainted due to knowledge of and speculation about Adam's sexual orientation. The same narrow-minded people who voted to uphold the ban on gay marriage have once again come in in terrified droves. Call them the religious right, the conservatives, staunch Republicans, but know what they really are. . .homophobes who used the American Idol platform to push their agenda. How sad!

May 21, 2009 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  64. Mag Ketner

Bummer! Adam has outperformed everybody every single night; he deserved to win. Keep us posted on what happens with his career.
    For San Diego, Adam will always be our winner!

May 21, 2009 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  65. John

Everyone showed up for "a star is born" and the silly americans voted for "Bush" again!

May 21, 2009 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  66. 55 rocker

I loved the show, yet the results were absolutely absurd. I haven't seen such a travesty in years. Chris isn't marketable; Adam and Gokey will go on to be relevant, Chris will be a dull imprint on the beige wall of one hit wonders. I am a true rocker and I guarantee that Adam will become a King of rock'n rolla. Adam can sing anything; anyone with any knowledge of music will agree. Young Chris will be forgotten as quickly as his notes and his sweet, but cornball singing. I am disappointed in this ending. Rock on Adam and be the new King of Rock and Roll.

May 21, 2009 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  67. jul

what a disappointment can't believe Kris won. I think Adam was the true American Idol...

May 21, 2009 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  68. Mesh

Kris won because everybody thought Adam was automatic. Actually they both won because this will allow Adam a bit more freedom to make a record of his choice. There were no losers this year. I actually think Kris should go country.

May 21, 2009 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  69. Sinecure

Ms. Lauper is a rocker – long before these kids hit the block. Her duet with Allison was simply proves she's still a performer.

May 21, 2009 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  70. GH

Finally the Adam slobbering ENDS! Thank goodness. And what was pure PRICELESS-icity was the look on all four *ahem* judges faces, especially Simon's, after the results were read! Gee Simon, how did you ever manage to move your butt from your chair to actually stand and congratulate the Champion! Right... you already declared the Champion Tuesday night, before the REAL one sang his last song. Well done, Kris.... America certainly HAS voted.... and thanks Danny-fans for your Kris votes!

May 21, 2009 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  71. Ken

I am definately hooked on American Idol although I must admit that I haven't watched it before the past couple of weeks of this season.

Kris is a wonderful young man with just a down to earth personality that will make him the true star that he is.

Sorry folks, for those of you that chose Adam, the reason he didn't win was because of his high pitch that was just relentless and consistant.

I honestly believe they have chosen the correct person to represent the "AMERICAN IDOL" theme for many years to come.

Having said this, both are very talented and both are really winners when it is all said and done.

Congratulations Kris!

May 21, 2009 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  72. Kathy Muzzin

America got it right tonight. Chris Allen deserved to win American Idol. He is a fantastic vocalist and a talented musician. That is what this competition is all about. It is not a popularity contest. Good luck Chris in all your future endeavors.

May 21, 2009 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  73. Brad

This show is toast unless they change the voting system. Another mediocre winner, taking the teenie bopper vote. I really thought American Idol would finally produce a real star with Adam.
    The only chance for talent in this show to succeed will be to vote contestants off, not to keep them on. Of course that would mean a huge loss of revenue for ATT, which demonstrates what this country is all about.

May 21, 2009 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  74. Gail

Adam was robbed. So was America. I liked Chris, but he doesn't have star or staying power. Adam will be fine and will out from AI shackles. look for a repeat of Rueben vs. Clay Aiken. Danny's votes went to Chris–not surprised. But Adam should have won-by hands down. Just like our 2008 election. Watch for the world to right itself in the next year or two!

May 21, 2009 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  75. bailey

I am dissapointed that Kris won. I was certain from the start of the season the final two would be Danny G and Adam. I am just shocked that Kris beat Adam out.
    Bailey

May 21, 2009 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  76. Jim

Cyndi Lauper singing while playing one of the only two TRUE American music instruments: the mountain dulcimer. And with the Little Rocker Chick. Not something you see often .. but very enjoyable. Must be nearing the end of the Idol run. No way this season can be topped. I can't believe an Arkie won over a ...whatever Adam is. The only way this could have been improved was to use the save used on Matt on Danny Gokey ... and then a three-way runoff. Think about it. Go Kris.

May 21, 2009 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  77. Kim Miller-Dietrich

I was blown away with the performance of Idol Alison and Cyndi Lauper. They were phenomenal together !!

And, Cyndi – you are fabulous.....inside and out.... !! :-)

May 21, 2009 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  78. Jim

Cyndi Lauper singing while playing one of the two only TRUE American music instruments: the mountain dulcimer. And with the Little Rocker Chick. Not something you see often .. but very enjoyable. Must be nearing the end of the Idol run. No way this season can be topped. I can't believe an Arkie won over a ...whatever Adam is. The only way this could have been improved was to use the save used on Matt on Danny Gokey ... and then a three-way runoff. Think about it. Go Kris.

May 21, 2009 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  79. Marty Turner

While I'm happy for Kris, I still wish Adam would have won.

I'm an ex-musician and while I recognize that Kris is a better musician than Adam (for now), Kris is a good entertainer whereas Adam posses the potential to be an incredible artist (and judging from his song re-arraignments has a much better sense of what is truly unique). Adam seems to have a very uncanny sense of what works (and by default, what does not) and has one of the most incredible vocal ranges I’ve heard out of a male in a long time (and his power and control in most of the registers is really amazing).

While I look forward to albums from most of the top ten (truly the most amazing AI season in my opinion (and my wife and I have watched since season one)), I’m most certainly anticipating albums by Adam as I think they will most likely breath some fresh air into a somewhat pedestrian industry with his multi-genre capabilities.

Good luck Kris and Go Adam!

May 21, 2009 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  80. kathy

I do not believe that Kris got more votes than Adam. i think American Idol people choose who they want to win.

May 20, 2009 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  81. kathy

I do not believe that Kris got more votes then Adam. I seem to think American Idol producers choose who they want to win.

May 20, 2009 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Jeg34mom

Kris' talent does not even come CLOSE to Adam. In my opinion, Allison and Danny can perform CIRCLES around Kris. What a huge disappointment.

May 20, 2009 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Simon and the judges

contributed to Allison not being in the final, and you know what, if she had been, the right person, Adam, would have won this season. They dogged Allison and Kris, and she was just beginning to get her fan base as big as theirs when she got booted off. She should have been in the final with Adam. I give Adam the Idol crown because no one can deny his talent and showmanship, but I think Allison has the most unique voice of all the contestants and i cannot wait for her CD to drop.

May 20, 2009 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Tasha

What a sick, sad end to a beautiful evening. ADAM is the AMERICAN IDOL. Danny Gokey is too, but Kris is a "run of the mill" voice and a nice guy who should never have been ahead of Danny or Allison. What is wrong with Simon and the producers of Idol? How can you let a this happen. This is as sick as Gil not winning Dancing with the Stars. There must be something wacko and sick going on out there when the true talent does not win.

May 20, 2009 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  85. kathleen monroe

I tried to vote for adam for two hours and only got through once

May 20, 2009 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Lavon Miller

I said earlier Kris would win though Adam was the one that deserved to be the winner. Why did I think Kris would win?? Because more people would vote for the clean cut looks and personality of Kris over the dyed hair, nails, and gang type look of Adam's. (My family and I voted for Adam. ) However, Adam has a great career ahead of him if he wants it though he may prefer theater to being a solo artist. He will be around long after Kris drops out of people's mind.

May 20, 2009 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Sunshine

Kris won because he CAN sing and has talent . He did not need to scream or wear expensive clothes or eyeliner. Let's face it....Adam has a "dark" side and he displayed it everytime he performed. He has talent but he had an attitude bigger than life. That was a "turn off". For those of you that are upset that Kris is a Christian.....maybe you should think about where you will be after this life....humm.

Congratulations Kris....!

May 20, 2009 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Linda

Kris Allen's win should be on Keith Olbermann's segment. What a disappointment.

May 20, 2009 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Jean

I am sooo sad that the teeny bopper vote wins over a true artist. The only reason Kris won is because he had the 8 to 12 year old girls voting for him (since he is well a wanna be Justin Timberlake) who have nothing else to do but text for four hours. Adam could change up songs and make them his own. Unfortunately, Adam had alot of challenges because of the distraction of his orientation. But, come'on people, who cares about what orientation, race, sex, etc... if they entertain.... just enjoy!

May 20, 2009 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Baskin

I absolutely agree: Adam can do Freddie Mercury!!! I'm sure Brian May was paying attention. Congratulations, Kris!!! But Adam is unparalleled in singing abilities. Were voters put off by his appearance, does anyone else think?

May 20, 2009 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Sundancer

Adam was dimensionally more talented than the simply OK Chris. I'm done with American Idol after this–it was time anyway. Sour grapes. The good news is that those who know talent know the true score–and Adam won that race by a mile. You could tell that Carlos Santana and Brian May were happy to be playing with Adam and barely paid attention to Chris.

May 20, 2009 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Sigrid

I absolutely can't believe it. Right from the beginning of Idol i thought it was going to be Adam. I likes Kris but Adam had him beat 10-1.
    But Adam will also get a big recording contract and be even bigger (if not better) than Kris., I wish them both all the luck and success in the world

May 20, 2009 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Linda Collyer

This is American Idol.....at it's worst. This is an American Upset!!! Chris is a talented guy but an American Idol. I don't think so. Adam had it from day one. We all knew it. He knew it. Chris knew it. The guy is multi talented. His range, his creativity his dress and song arrangements. Chris was Chris. Not a whole lot of depth or creativity. There are millions of Chris's floating around. There are not many talents walking the streets like Adam Lambert.

The beginning and end of the show was superb. The chick coming out in the bikini set back the women's movement a few hundred years. The awards for the " worst " just added a flair of tackiness that we as the viewers did not need.

Linda

May 20, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Lourdes Marie

I'm happy Kris won. He's actually my bet. Adam has a very good, high and very fine voice, but i don't like the operatic kinda noisy type sometimes. Kris's voice is cool, that's what i like about him. I really like his performance with Keith Urban, very nice song there. Kris winning the american idol is not the biggest upset guys. Really depends on what genre you like.

May 20, 2009 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Trish

Greatest Idol Finale show ever...Great celebrity names, fantastic music, (could have done without the "bikini girl" but loved when Kara came out with the hot voice and hot bod and showed her up...PRICELESS!) but I have to say I'm floored as to who actually won the title. I don't even think Kris believed he was going to win. I'm curious to hear what the judges, particularly Simon, had to say. Anyway...Congratulations Kris. Sing On, Brother!

May 20, 2009 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  96. T

Great great show!!! Loved Iraheta's performance the best. Because at least we heard her voice over the other artist. Unlike the others (except Adam offcourse). Great show though!! Pretty much enjoyed every performance! Oh, and had great laughs! Esp Kara showing up the chick in the bikini (maybe a lil immature), but she deserved it all the same. The showing off her bikini was lil indecent and unneeded, but she must have been really embarrassed by what the girl said when she auditioned to do that. Love the look on the girl's face at the end though(sizing up her competition). Priceless. Oh, and Ruben's face when the female performer who got chased down the stage was so funny. He looked lost. Did he not know that it was planned! lol. I thought she had a pretty good voice btw. But then again, there's a reason why im not one the judges.

And dude....whats wrong with Kris' mum's dress. Thought it looked great on her!

I love Kris, and wanted him to win. But Adam is a GREAT performer, and he's going places!

May 20, 2009 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  97. David A. Smith

Sorry to the Kris fans, but I am very upset. To me it is clear that Adam was the best singer, and a true star. The trouble with idol is, its now a popularity contest instead of a vocal competition.

May 20, 2009 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Dorothy Scallon

Absolute travesty.
    Best finale show ever! BUT
    Have to believe this was a fix. Even Kris knew Adam should have won (and maybe he did!)

May 20, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Suzanne

Was a sweet song, but I have a question for ya......could Cindi Lauper hold her legs ANY farther apart??? It really destracted from the song and made her look horrible........she could have worn something different to make her look more glamorous instead of glamor-trash!

May 20, 2009 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Galoux

One of my favorite moments of the show tonight. That pairing was hot!

May 20, 2009 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Ana

WOW,,,Cindy Lauper still rocks..

May 20, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Tynan

Don't make fun of his mom! How rude are you?

May 20, 2009 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Judette

Ah Allison, how I missed you. Wish it was between you between Adam. Would have loved to see an all rock final. You did great tonight with Cyndi Lauper.

May 20, 2009 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Lee

Looking forward to seeing Allison on tour and hoping to hear another duet with Adam.
    She is an amazing performer. To think she is only 17 years old! Allison is a star. It is safe to say that bigger and better things are yet to come!

May 20, 2009 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Annia

Kris' wife, Katie, looks a bit like Reese Witherspone, if you ask me. But yeah, the show don't really want to mention that Kris is married, for 7 months now, so that all the ladies, young and old, will shell out some serious bucks for the tickets. Marketing strategy is always at work.

May 20, 2009 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  106. lin

'time after time' was such a beautiful classic of the early 80's. remember her first hit , 'girls just want to have fun' ?

May 20, 2009 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Annia

Cindi Lauper is a rocker? Since when?

May 20, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  108. jim

I didn't like it very much. A little boring.

May 20, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Bob

Allison should be the AI if it were based on talent alone. I predict big things for this little rocker chick

Best voice of Season 8.

May 20, 2009 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Mickey

This song sent a shiver down my spine. Blast from the past and great singing by both..

May 20, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  111. kelly

Oh my god, i am 48 years old and feel like a school boy again. Allison my new time rocker chic and lauper, who i have loved and worshipped her work since the 1980s, i was THRILLED to hear them together. i woiuld totally buy a duet by these terrific perfomers. i nearly had a tear in my eye seeing lauper mentor our sweet allison. rock on you rocker chics rock on!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Tia

Wow Cyndi has aged so well. I loved hearing this classic with the dulcimer and such a toned down performance. Allison has such a lovely voice for her youth and I really hope that she is able to have some doors opened for her. This performance was just further proof that she deserves that opportunity.

May 20, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  113. FL loves IDOL

Why no shot of Kris' wife? Word is they don't want America to remember he's married so all the women will vote for him...ummm...HELLO...the voting is over!! The duet was AWESOME, by the way...

May 20, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  114. KMH

That was really done well. As much as I am annoyed to have to wait two hours to find out who wins, I am thoroughly enjoying the majority of the pairings, if not only the guests.

May 20, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  115. carrie

Why is Allison not in the finals again? That girl can seriously rock!

May 20, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |