May 19th, 2009

Top 2: 'What's Going On' Kris?

Simon Fuller clearly has a love of soul music.

Kris Allen

He selects "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye for Kris to sing. Kris sounds good vocally and on the guitar, but it's a little "coffee house" for me.

He doesn't get the overwhelming love that Adam does. Simon calls round two for Adam "a million percent."

Some side notes here: I am distracted by Paula's plunging cleavage and the way Kara is delivering her critiques with straight attitude - all hand motions and neck action. Perhaps she is giving it all she can just in case she's not back next season.

« Previous entry
  1. Thebe

Kris who?

May 20, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Galoux

Kris was okay on this, but yeah, it was dorm-roomy. It's a classic, and everybody hears Marvin Gaye in their heads, so he needed to do something very different, and didn't.

May 20, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Melissa

And who wouldn't love to sit in a coffee house and listen to Kris? I like Adam – don't get me wrong – he is a great singer. I just don't understand why everything has to be so over the top. They say Adam is Glam-Rock – but he just doesn't seem to have his own style or Genre. Kris from the beginning has been very open and honest about who he is and if he is at any coffee house that I can get to – I will be there. To me, the intimate setting that he created with his second song was perfect.

May 20, 2009 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Barbara

Didn't like it and not sure what the judges are listening to but the same sound doesn't seem to ever come out of my TV for sure. Kris is such a lesser talent than Adam. Send him home.

May 20, 2009 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. TSRVT

Lame and off-key– Kris is totally outclassed in this competition. Hang it up.

May 20, 2009 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ghost9

Kris is the American Idol no matter how much the judges cheered against him by down playing his performances.
    He sang his you know what off. He is a up and coming artist.

May 20, 2009 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. maggie t

NATE: simon fuller and simon cowell are 2 different people. its confusing i know. simon fuller is the founder of IDOLS! 🙂

May 20, 2009 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ingrid

I thought Kris was judged unfairly on What's Going On... I thought it was great! He did it in his style, and it was groovy and comfortable. I think they blasted his performance way too hard. HOWEVER, I have given my votes of the night to Adam.

May 20, 2009 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  9. Fitzwilly56

I did not like Kris' rendition of "What's Going On" There were places in the song where I didn't recognize it. Its also a signature song of Marvin Gaye, he needed to be close to Marvin Gaye's version 'cause that's what the listener compares to. Sadly he was not signing comparable to Gaye and it fell flat.

As for Kara's song-ick! Perhaps the test was to see what two good singers could do with a bad song. But if that's the case, Adam did better.

I think Adam ate Kris's lunch tonight.

May 19, 2009 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ben Lee

I absolutely love this version of the song...however, I'm still not sold with the possibility that Kris can fill a stadium...maybe he can write and produce songs for others to fill the stadium..he thrives in intimate settings and if he were singing to a small group, you will just melt. His style is way too small for a big venue. This is still a great treatment to a not-so-good-song (IMO)...sorry Marvin G.

May 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Elizabeth Lodge

Gawd Almighty... what a plaid-shirt snoozer that Kris is. No genius... no leap of the imagination... highly derivative of Joe Shmoe. ZZZZzzzzzzzzz.

May 19, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mr. Izz

Anyone noticed at how much Kris closes his eyes? David Archuleta got flack for it all of last year, but none of the judges have said anything to Kris about it.

Bias?

May 19, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bridgette

I can tell you what was wrong with Kris and Adam, they both seemed exhausted and lacked energy. Neither guy had that spark, and it showed in the performances. This song, did nothing for Kris, certainly didn't get to show his style and finesse.

May 19, 2009 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nate

Simon's last name is Cowell not Fuller. Get it right!!!

May 19, 2009 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dyan

I thoroughly enjoyed Kris' rendition of this song. It was beautiful!

May 19, 2009 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. maggie t

i think kris was crying. when simon said something nice to him kris hung his head, i`m sure he was crying. its taken its toll on the boy but it takes a man to still be standing after all the gloryfying they give to the screamer adam. i hope you all vote for kris.

May 19, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  17. RH

Kris did very poorly tonight. He was flat in every song at some place or the other. The kid has got to go. The clean Christian boy image cannot sell records in the long run. Why? Cuz those folks don't spend any money buying records .. LOL. Right now the votes cost them nothing but the guy cannot sing.

May 19, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  18. B

That last song wasn't a set up for EITHER. It sucked.

May 19, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. TCJ

LOL@ the Kara comment in the blog!! You are so right!

May 19, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. bearlover

poooor kid, he like a 10 year old up there swinging his legs while he sat in a tooo high chair

May 19, 2009 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Juno

A big Danny fan putting all my votes to Chris. Good Luck to Chris!!
    Though not a Adam fan......They are both winners!!!!!

May 19, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Thea

last song says it all ....sorry chris

May 19, 2009 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Kevin

This last song is a setup for Adam. Very cheesy, AI.

May 19, 2009 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  24. HeyDude

Yawn! Thought Kris was part of the commercial...

May 19, 2009 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Yuna

What's wrong with Kris tonight. His last song sounds like he was crying backstage and lost all confidence. It's terrible!!!!

May 19, 2009 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Lori

bleh... boring..

May 19, 2009 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jack

Crappy. Boring. Oh yeah, it's Kris.

May 19, 2009 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kevin

Simon didn't like the song, but he didn't pick the darn thing. I thought he did well.

But they are setting everything up for Adam to win and Kris to fail. This Kara song has Adam written all over it.

May 19, 2009 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  29. B

Bad boring song choice on the part of SF. He did an okay job with it but.......yawn.

He still sounds identical to several other artists already out there.

May 19, 2009 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Judette

That was not one of Kris' best performance. I badly wanted to change the channel. First performance was very good.

May 19, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Thede Vilthatiam

That was awesome. Loved it! Go Kris!

May 19, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  32. dragongrrl

meh. 😦

May 19, 2009 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Bob S

What's going on? This song was soooooooooooo boring. Kris deserved a better song to perform than this yawner.

May 19, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Shaiyna

I just have to say that Kris is great! I'm not a fan of Motown covers, but he did such a wonderful job!

May 19, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Eva

he played it to safe but I still love him.

May 19, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Zebulon

Funny... I liked this one, fit his style well. Not as "over the top" as the finales might require, but good stuff.

May 19, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |