May 19th, 2009

Top 2: Kris tests his 'Boundaries'

It's official: I do not like this song.

Kris Allen

That absolutely was not Kris' best performance, and it appeared at some points he was forcing the notes.

Even Kara appears to be almost apologetic and acknowledges that the song may have been too high for him. It seems like all of the judges are already saying goodbye to Kris.

Kris says he and Adam decided they weren't coming out tonight to compete but just to give a good show? Well, that is a problem.

It's a competition, and I hope Kris doesn't look back on this last performance as the thing that did him in.

1. Carol

Hi

I hate that some of the kids competing have experience already. why not get on an even playing field? no experience guys if you are going to compete? some of had recording contracts & some not.:
    more experince is not fair!

Why do the judges get so stinking excited over pushing their choice?
    they have hit us hard for the Adam Lambert vote! also un fair It is not their turn now.It's us voters who say now!!!!
    Sincerely & Let's keep it fair!!
    Carol

May 20, 2009 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Peggy Davis

For what it's worth at this point, Kara's song was clearly written for Adam and not Kris. I felt that Adam was given a slight advantage and did a decent job at singing it, but this song is not Kris' style at all. As competent song-writers, I would have thought that Kara and her partners would have examined each of these guys; their vocal ranges and styles in order to bring out the best in each of them. There should have been two songs, one for each that suited their voice ranges and artistry. I'm very disappointed that this song is going to be released by the winner as their first major song. "If I'm being totally honest"...bad choice! Note to producers: It's not too late if Adam wins to release his version of "Mad Love" or Kris' version of "Heartless" – both so much better than Kara's song! Sorry, Kara!

May 20, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jill

Two very talented guys. Two great futures in music. The outcome is meaningless. Once your in the top two you have great career potential, and everybody will benefit by enjoying their talents whatever their musical preference....just hope not singing Kara's song.

May 20, 2009 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jo

American Idol is suppose to be a show to find a star performer. Kris is cute and his voice is okay but he is not star quality. He doesn't have the talent that will keep him selling records or performing after the first year of American Idol. Adam has it all. Don't blame the song. That is the difference. No one is making excuses of Adam's version of the song. Adam rocks.

May 20, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sarah

People, LISTEN to the two songs. They are in totally different keys, Kris singing a minor third lower than Adam. They also have different arrangements of the songs, with Kris doing a bit more low-key of a production with more guitar and less percussion, and Adam adding back-up singers, etc. Kris's problem was more in trying to force every note to get a bigger sound, so everything sounded a little strained. He would have done better to pull back in some sections. I think it sat in a good place in his voice pitch-wise.

I like both guys. It was a bad song.

May 20, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. PCB

Does anyone remember Taylor Hicks? Come on people! He was just as electrifying as Adam on stage, but where is he now? Stage performance alone doesn't always translate into record sales... I think Adam is an entertainer and he is great, but I can't see myself buying more than a song or two of his. His voice is powerful but annoying after a while... Kris sounds enough like other artists that I enjoy that I know what kind of record he'll make and I know I won't tire of that sound. Hope you win Kris!

May 20, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel

Well if the votes are always close I imagine it is because their phone lines can only handle so many votes. I tried to vote for awhile but gave up after not getting through once. Pretty lame.

May 20, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Galoux

To anyone who said the song was written with Adam in mind, are you serious?! That song didn't fit Adam in the slightest. Granted, it was too high for Chris, and nothing seems to be too high for Adam, but otherwise it was a train wreck for ANYBODY. Why didn't they simply drop into a lower key for Kris? That's been permissible every other week.

May 20, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. KC

Both Kris and Adam struggled with 'Boundaries'; it was the song that was bad – not the singers. Personally, I voted for Kris. I like his style and his voice. Adam is extremely talented as well, but everytime I listened to him – it was about screaming. Whoever wims, they will both have exciting musical careers ahead of them.

May 20, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MRD

I am really sick of the AI judges. I think they should give their opinion of the performances and then just shut up. They have done this every season. It is not fair to anyone. How it must make Kris feel to have all of them saying, "Adam is a star" "Adam is great" "Adam is this and Adam is that" Oh Kris, "that was a good job" but a little to high for you". The only reason that I would want Adam to win is so he would be the one to have to deal with that bunch of jerks. Second place isn't so bad.... Just ask Clay Aiken, he got the same treatment from the judges, and he is a millionaire today. Hang in there Kris. You are the best. After all, it isn't about the talent, it is about who they can make the most money off of. I'll be buying your CD.

May 20, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Barbara

Again, the song SUCKED but Kris doesn't have the vocal talent to pull a lot of songs off......sorry, but he has to go.

May 20, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Liz

Adam's version was actually much pitchier than Kris's version; and I would much rather listen to Kris's voice on the radio. Adam may have a good range, but the tone is so flat and narrow. And honestly, the "worldwide star" status will be determined by who sells the most records. I think Kris's voice and style will sell much more. Adam may be fun to watch on stage, but who could stand a whole CD of screeching?

May 20, 2009 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Brandy

I love both of these guys and will be happy either way. I do have to say though that this final song was horrible. The guys had to sing in the arrangment the song was set up with instead of what would be best for them. I did not like Adam nor Kris's performance of it. Adam was screechy and Kris was just having a hard time. I hope whoever wins gets to change it up

May 20, 2009 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jules

What a HUGE disappointment...that Adam and Kris had to sing that TERRIBLE last song! I hope Adam wins, but that song is SO BAD even he couldn't use his magic to make it better.

May 20, 2009 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mike

Kris, with all due respect, you should not even be in the top 10. Thank your mama and your papa for your good looks, because thats all that is carrying you. Also thank all the mindless teeny-bop girls that watch the show and vote based on looks.

May 20, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Brian W.

I am not crazy about that song... Too many lyrics and very repetitive in the chorus and ending... They should have did the competition thing agin this year for song writing from the public...
    My prediction is Kris will win in a slim vote (isn't it always?) and Adam will go on to be a pseudo-Daughtry...
    What's all this about Adam being gay?

May 20, 2009 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  17. Chris Kirkpatrick

Two years ago, I remember the same thing happening between Blake Lewis (the favorite) and Jordan Sparks. The final song was the deciding factor...it had been clearly written for a woman to sing and did not help Blake in the least...and she won. I think we saw a bit of the same last night...and between very little preparation and an inability to modify the music itself (Kris would certainly have lowered the key if they had let him).

Kris has been my favorite even before the top 13, but last night cemented it for Adam. Both of these guys are talented, but Adam is the American Idol. Frankly, Kris should be happy to finish second. Instead of pigeon-holed where the producers want him, he can ride the wave of his public exposure and stay true to himself. I'd call that a blessing in disguise.

I have also enjoyed seeing how they have bonded. Considering how different they are, this has seemed like a competiton between friends. I think that says a lot about the character of them both.

May 20, 2009 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  18. Carl

As a songwriter, I think "Boundaries" is a mess and appreciated Simon's short but sweet comment on the song. It doesn't seem fair to put the fate of the contestants on the whimsical choice of a staff member. But, that said, Adam is clearly the best singer. He is poised, considerate and über talented. Kris is more down to earth and may have more commercial appeal. I won't be disappointed by either choice!

May 20, 2009 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  19. paulo

Why they always have to choose cheesy songs? this song was completely out of Chris's range and me and my friends were feeling sorry for his extra effort to get to the notes... definitely not a good song.

May 20, 2009 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  20. Sasha

This song was awful! I agree w/ Randy's comment: Kris' voice is better suited for that kind of song than Adam's but it was too high and he struggle at parts. I don't think either of them sang it well, so I blame it on Kara!

Is this going to be the first single for the winner? I hope not!!

And also– I cannot believe how the judges acted towards Kris after this song. Telling him he is lucky to even be in the finals and that he should just feel honored to be here. I just thought that was incredibly rude. Newsflash judges– you don't know how America will vote!

May 20, 2009 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  21. Kim

It’s funny… people go on and on about Adam being arrogant. I don’t see it. I see a guy that has been theatrically trained and knows how to be confident in his abilities. It’s almost like he’s being bashed for knowing he’s good and people like Kris because he acts like he thinks he’s bad. I’m sorry, but I’d rather go to a concert put on by someone that has confidence in his abilities than someone who thinks they don’t deserve to be there.

I have never seen Adam mouth-back at anyone, insult anyone, or do anything that shows him as arrogant. I’ve seen a guy who is confident in his training and abilities and is trying to get to a position he has worked very hard to get to. It’s like any job… you aren’t going to get promoted if you don’t show that you have confidence in your ability to do your job well. If you don’t believe in yourself nobody else will either.

Adam is GREAT. What do you want? Him to stand there with his head hanging saying “I’m such a bad singer.” There is nothing wrong about knowing that you’re good at something.

May 20, 2009 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  22. Paige

I cannot believe that professional songwriters are responsible for that horrid song Kris and Adam were forced to sing last night. I can write better stuff than that and I'm not a songwriter!!!

May 20, 2009 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  23. Tom

Kris was awful on this song...he sounded bad...the song was no where in tune. His other performances were blah!!! He is so dull as a performer...always the same...boring. Who would buy his record??? But america will vote him the winner...why????

May 20, 2009 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  24. ken baldwin

Yes, the show is a singing competition ...but one cannot deny that showmanship and presentation is definitely in the equation.
    Early into the competition I had picked Adam and Danny. However, even if Chris should win...in the life beyond American Idol, I predict it is Adam who we'll be seeing down the road.

May 20, 2009 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  25. Garry-Arkansas

The last song was horrible for both, how-ever I thought Kris's version was better.
    I so hope that Kris is the winner, Adam already is assured fame and a song deal and since he has toured with Wicked has more exposure. I thought this show was to recognize unknown talent. In thiscase, Kris should win!
    Go Kris..win or lose your still a winner!!
    ARKANSAS LOVES YOU!!!

May 20, 2009 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  26. MichelleG

I think my last comment got sensored. But essentially i was asking for the number to vote off Kara?

May 20, 2009 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  27. dawn c

I'm sick of the ignorant comments about Adam – who cares what he wears or who he likes. Since when are people judged on that instead of what's in their heart, who they are is not how they look. And as far as talent, what does any of that have to do with his voice!? He is an amazing singer and has quite an outpouring of emotion in his voice when he sings those kinds of songs. He seems like a really nice guy and when I saw him go back to the school of arts where he went as a kid and talk to the kids there I was touched. He said that meant more to him than all the screaming fans and everything else. You could tell that touched his heart for real. Wake up people and stop being so blind! You think you see but you're looking through tainted glasses! Besides you should be listening!!!!! Adam all the way!!!

May 20, 2009 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  28. Dee

How come no one said anything about the way Adam had singing chorus in the background and Kris had nothing but bland music. I am not a fan of Kris and love Adam but it was pretty blatant that Adam had all the setup blue coloring, Kris boring yellow and Adam had his face on every screen but Kris did not. I taped it and look at it people, that was not good the way they set up Adam and did nothing for Kris. I hope Adam wins but win on merit, not Idol people setting it up to win. The same with dancing with the stars. That girl who won did nothing better then all the black woman contestants they had on there in the past. Especially that girl from high school musical a couple of years back but she did not win because of favortism. Stop with the favortism and win on merit already!!!

May 20, 2009 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  29. Rowell

No doubt, Kris Allen will still emerge as the winner in this season's most anticipated singing competition. Even as the judges claim that Lambert is the talent to beat, the competition is still about showbusiness and that's synonymous with the phrase 'show me the money' and with Lambert's sexuality still hanging on the wall, the producers can not afford to take the gamble, not at this point in time. Hence, Kris is the Idol!

May 20, 2009 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  30. Archie Nova

The poor format made for a very anticlimactic end. Contestants shouldn't be forced to sing any particular song especially a bad one written by one of the judges. A better format would have been, round 1 – resing a song from earlier in the season, round 2 – sing a song chosen by a judge, etc., round 3 – sing a new song, any format, at the singer's choice. The way that it worked, the first round was the best with each successive round a bit (or a lot – last round) worse.

May 20, 2009 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  31. jeremy

Poor Kris really struggled on this song. I felt so sorry for the guy.... like it was so painful watching the veins on his neck looking like they'd almost pop. The key/note isn't to blame. The song was already some notes lower than Adam's, Kris just have a very limited vocal range.

May 20, 2009 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
  32. Pam Miller

It was clear to me that the judges were speaking to Kris as if No Boundaries was his swan song. Who knows how people will vote though.

May 20, 2009 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  33. anony

You have to love all the barely-veiled attacks on Adam for being gay and having a hollywood emo rocker style. He seems like a very nice young guy and has presented himself very well as has his competitor Chris. They just happen to be worlds apart in culture, but that is one of the BENEFITS of living in America.

So all the ignorant, homophobic, rednecks can back off and turn on the 700 Club if you don't like watching AI.

May 20, 2009 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  34. Alan

Tonight was the only show all season I saw of Idol. From those performances we saw tonight, anyone who thinks Kris is the more talented singer is either Kris's personal friend, family member, neighbor, and/or a complete homophobe. Get over the fact that Adam is gay and glam, who cares. His vocal range and talent was 10x that of Kris's. I felt like they weren't even in the same competition. Kris is a *very* good singer, and seems like a fantastic guy with a great image, but his singing talent and range is incredibly ordinary. My two cents.

May 20, 2009 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  35. Brian

Chris did great,,

that last song was horrible,, the song was terrible neither singer could pull it off. What a terd.
    Kara should be booted outta the music industry for demonstrating such poor writing ability.

May 20, 2009 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  36. jr

Worst AI song EVER!!! VOTE KARA OFF! Unsingable-Unmemorable-Unlistenable. DO NOT RELEASE THIS SONG – EVERYONE HATES IT-PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  37. Jane

Hate the song. Sick of the cheesy songs Amer Idol forces the finalists to sing every year, much to my and their embarrassment.

May 20, 2009 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  38. Joan

Adam was able to make the song something worth listening to. Kris really bombed it! Even Kara (who wrote the song) said that it was written in a key too high for Kris....and that people shouldn't ding him for it but should vote based on his other past performances.

WHAT!!!!

Since when, and in what contest, is a contestant not judged on his actual performance? Adam worked it out....Kris couldn't!

May 20, 2009 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  39. Kathleen

Anee:

"Because (in my opinion) [Adam] does not represent the “typical” American young one."

And pray tell, in the land of the free where diversity is celebrated, what is "typical?"

Have a little courage and say what you mean.

May 20, 2009 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  40. Lola

I hated that song that was written for the winner to sing this season. It was so totally blah, ho hum, forgetful ,and both Kris and Adam seemed to be pulling it along trying to make it sound better than it really was. I wish they'd stop writing songs for the winner to record as their first single. Adam tried his best to make it better than it was and Kris struggled with it as well. Even Kara looked embarrasssed and none of the judges, except Randy, felt neither performance, of that dud song ,deserved critique. I think Kara knew that song didn't fit either of the contestants expertise. I sure knew it.. Next year they need to wait and see who wins before they write them a song designed just for their voice and style.

May 20, 2009 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  41. Caroline

I think everyone pretty much agrees that the song itself was garbage, but I found Kris' version much less annoying than Adams. Why must he do all that screaming? And why do they keep praising it like that is so wonderful? The songs in the past that really showed that Adam can really sing, and yes he can, were the ones where he wasn't screaming but was using his range intelligently. I thought the first song of Adam's tonight was the best of all three, but none were better than Kris'. I fact the last was so annoying I had to turn down the volume. Kris reminds me of a cross between Ricky Nelson and Elvis, I know that dates me but so be it. He also is very easy on the eye, in fact I think he is HOT! I have been trying to vote all night and only connected one time, busy all the rest of the time. I hope that bodes well for him.

May 20, 2009 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  42. bridgette

Kara wrote the song, but it's up to the singer to rearrange it to fit his style. All Kris had to do was change the key, very simple process. He should know what 's good for him. Yes, blame Kara for the sorry song that the two were forced to sing, but she can't be blamed for the delivery of the song. As for people saying that song was written for Adam, that's rediculous. If it was for him, Kara didn't do him any favors.

May 20, 2009 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  43. Ace

What did Kris sing? His performance was forgettable. He sounds like all the other trash out there. There has been no competition to Adam. He reminds me of Geoff Tate from Queensryche. Incredible voice. Maybe someone should punch Kris in the mouth so he can sing straight.

May 19, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Karen Leonard

Didn't feel the entire show was up to standard and Kara's song wasn't exactly a home run either. Both young men are talented and surely will have successful careers.

May 19, 2009 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Chris

– "No Boundaries", or whatever it's called, is a horrible song. Really. What a way to end the season finale. A boring pseudo-inspirational dirge with a melody virtually indistinguishable from about umpteen million songs that have come before before it.
    – Adam obviously can't discern the difference between American Idol and Broadway. Also, those corny "come hither" glares and overbearing theatrics distract from his obvious ability to sing the freak out of anything.
    – Kris has the same affliction as a host of other male singers that have been on this show: He sings like a boy band member. Seriously, this stuff has GOT to stop. It's the kind of thing that will make us look back on the 00s with disdain, as we do the 80s when we hear "We Built This City". Don't let it carry on into the next decade.

May 19, 2009 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  46. dina

Kara sat so smug looking like Adam did the song justice! Neither of the guys could do that song any justice at all! Horrible, I was holding my ears the entire time!! Maybe they should have a vote near the end of the season by us, the voters, on which song gets chosen to be the single.

May 19, 2009 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  47. joy

That last song was not a good pick. I wish that neither one of them had to sing it. Adam sang it better, because he can sing anything, but not, not a good song. Please AI don't do that next year. Use anything from the judges (if written by, performed by, or just picked by) only with the top 5. Also, please let Adam sing "Lights" from Journey on tour, actually anything from Journey. He has Steve Perry's range and heart.
    Great season though, mainly because of Adam. Thanks.

May 19, 2009 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  48. hurley

They planned it this way from the beginning. A song that was tailor made to Adam's skill set and that Kris would feel uncomfortable with. They made up their minds months ago. Lame.

May 19, 2009 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Anee

Marissa.
    Because (in my opinion) he does not represent the "typical" American young one.

May 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Pam

Hey, quit insulting Disney soundtracks. LOL. They all sound much better than this song did. It was a horrible song and neither contestant should have had to sing it.

May 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Miguel

Kris has finally won my vote. After really liking Adam for most of the season, his singing has begun to annoy me and his attitude is almost like "I've already won".

Kris, on the other hand, is extremely talented (also) and very humble.

Good luck to you both.

May 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Eva

That song was written for Gokey. I'm sure of it.

May 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Thorne

That third song was horrible in my opinion. Both of them struggled with it. Both of them hit some really bad notes. It's a toss up. You have Adam on the one hand struggling with a song that is just so full of craptastic nothingness and you Kris on the other hand struggling with a song that is no where near his range. At least Kris's was probably fixable? Though why anyone would want to fix the dreck that song was, I have no idea. I feel all kinds of bad for both of them that

a) one of them is obligated to release that garbage
    b) that is the last song that we'll hear from both of them (other than when the winner has to sing that crap again tomorrow night)
    Man I hope the above two points prove to be untrue. I'm just going on what has happened in years past.

Enough with the decent young man garbage... they both seem like wonderful young men to me. It's comments like that that sent Adam's fans into a revolt to start with. All the small minded stuff is really pathetic. I thought they have both handled themselves with class.

May 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Gerry Regan

I thought Kris' rendition of "No Boundaries" was more heartfelt and hence soulful, while arguably not as technically adept as Adam's. Kris has surprised viewers all season long with his staying power, soulful singing and playing, and ever-increasing grace and charisma. I'm banking on another huge surprise to end the season - Kris by a nose.

May 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jamie

That was the lamest song ever. Mountains? Really? Those songs written "just for them" are always so god awful. I love how Simon took a little dig at it.

May 19, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  56. hannah

I can't STAND this guy! He doesn't belong in the competition...BOOORRRIINGGGG. Not fit to shine Adam's shoes!
    Peter: what makes you think Adam is NOT a "decent" young man? Because Kris is a hick, and Adam isn't? Oh get real!

May 19, 2009 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  57. denise

Kara - Worst song ever! That being said, Adam walked away with this competition! Change is coming blew me and everyone away! GO ADAM!!!!! Loved that he did yet another version of Mad World! Can he get any more creative?

May 19, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Peter

The true "Idol" is Kris... by a mile!
    Kris is a decent young man and refreshingly, without the "divo" attitude of Adam ( sorry Adam). Kris is the true "Idol" and exemplifies his generation of hope.
    Kris makes you feel proud! Vote for Kris...( I know I will..)

May 19, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Dana

Ok, I was thinking, why didn't they transpose this song to a lower key if it was not in Kris's vocal range??? Then I realized, if they can't even write a song, of course they can't transpose a song! I don't even think those melodies were using actual chords.

May 19, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Kelly

Why does Idol insist on torturing us with some unknown song that always sounds like it should be on a Disney soundtrack. That song was absolutely horrible, but clearly written for Adam to perform. Whatever!! Idol lost a lot of credibility this year with there too obvious favoritism of Adam.

May 19, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  61. taylor

Terrible song. Just awful. When Kris sang it you could at least understand the words. Adam just screached through the song.
    Kris should win. But that last song might have done him in. Adam is more broadway.

May 19, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  62. MMC

I have to agree with everyone. 'No Boundaries' – What a horrible horrible song to showcase his talent.

May 19, 2009 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Wizard

DC....you took the words right out of my mouth. Why AI hangs on to this ridiculous ceremony that someone write an awful, corny, stupid song for the finalists to sing is crazy. Whose head is in the sand over there!? Now, I'll have to listen to that thing for the next 4 months every time I'm in the grocery store.

May 19, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  64. TCJ

The song is horrible, I don't think either guy did that great. Even Simon hated it.

May 19, 2009 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  65. bubblesinfl

I thought Kris did a very respectable job.
    I think he is more marketable than Adam. I think Kris will sell records and fill stadiums give the right material.
    He'd represent a great upset.
    Adam is too theatrical, as Simon has said repeatedly. He can sing, but he's no pop star, and that is the point of this show!

May 19, 2009 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Bob

Carrie, how could Kris not know? The judges did everything but tell him to pack his bags and take a hike. They pimped Adam all season long. Kris deserves kudos for getting up on the stage in front of 4 very obviously biased judges.

May 19, 2009 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  67. jcsp

It should have been Adam and Danny. This was a joke.

May 19, 2009 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Dyan

I enjoyed Kris' performance of "No Boundaries," co-written by Kara. I thought it was much better than Adam's. Sorry, America. 😉

May 19, 2009 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  69. bridgette

It certainly was in the wrong key. I liked Adam's version better, because his flowed a little better and he wasn't straining to sing it. Sorry Kris, but that wasn't very good.

May 19, 2009 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Suz in Florida

So it was not exactly within Kris's range, don't dare count him out....not for a moment. It's going to be "too sweet" seeing him take home the
    "Idol" title tomorrow night in a year when favoritism should not have been so rampant. I fault no one more than Simon and Cara this year
    for being the absolute worst. C'mon Simon, you've hit them really hard
    trying to promote Adam. Now, it's our turn to speak back to you! Go Kris, you will win!

May 19, 2009 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Carrie

I've been plugging and promoting Kris for the last month on this blog. I still favor him and I thought he held his own in the finale ... his voice seemed clearer and stronger than any time before on the show.

Having said that, I do think Adam Lambert has won the season and deserves to be the 2009 American Idol.

And I think Kris had accepted that Adam was the clear frontrunner ... you could tell by the opening sequences ... Kris was downright half-hearted in declaring "I am the American Idol!"

He knew. He knows. We know. But I think both did a terrific job in the finale.

May 19, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  72. backagain39

Every year a terrible song is written and the last two are expected to sing and the winner gets stuck recording it. Get a clue American Idol......let the winner's first album be the songs that they sang over the length of the show!!!!!!

May 19, 2009 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  73. B

People who have complained about Adam screaming....well, welcome to screaming Kris. lol

May 19, 2009 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Dave in Altmar

Wow. Kara didn't do herself any favors with that POS song. Yikes! Awful!
    Three of the judges really wanted to hammer the song – AWKWARD! At least Adam tried to do something with it, while Kris took a nap instead...

May 19, 2009 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Me

Sorry. But there is a guy who sings at the subway who I'd pay more money to than Kris.

May 19, 2009 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  76. DC

Horrible song! A lot of weird forced notes that both singers struggled with and they are both amazing. The key was too high for Kris, but Adam didn't do any better-he just sang louder. Boo to Idol for picking that song to go out on. I think they should trash that idea once and for all and have them sing a third song of their choice next year. Each performer could have sung a song that shows their styles and wonderful singing voices. The "special song for Idol" thing has tanked every year except the first for Kelly Clarkson. Time to get rid of it.

May 19, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  77. RH

Kris cannot sing high notes, he can't hit the low notes. His voice simply fades away to inaudible levels .. Kris needs a lot of training to make him go pro. He cannot win this thing but even if he does he will not be as big a star as Adam.

May 19, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Marissa

Anee , why isnt Adam an American Idol? Because there is a good chance hes gay? SO is Clay Aiken and his career has outshone Rubens.....

May 19, 2009 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  79. stoph

Sorry. Kris is a "nice guy" but he's got the talent of Clay Aiken. He's going to make a decent living, but he's NO STAR. Adam should & will be the next American Idol BECAUSE he's the STAR of this season!

May 19, 2009 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Kyla

i'm not from the states, so i can say that at least in asia, even though artists like jack johnson, dave matthews etc. are known, they are not too popular. but i can see adam being wildly popular in many parts of asia.

May 19, 2009 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Marissa

I never like the song written for the American Idol to make their first single with. This song was created for a voice like Adam Lambert... Kris is just as talented but more in a soulful and less powerful voice. Why didnt someone have him go down a scale or too during dress rehearsal. I dont think they should sing the same song at the end. It should be a song of their choosing that showcases who they are

May 19, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  82. babe ruthie

That boundries song was dreadful no matter who sang it. Adam still screeching and has that god awful mouth thing while singing a song of hope from the civil rights era. Sam Cooke is spinning in his grave as is Johnny Cash (remember Adam's Ring of Fire)?

May 19, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  83. LJ

That song was a big terd. It should not be the single for either of them. But alas a winner has to be declared and it has to be Adam!

May 19, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Bob

Absolutely horrible song. It looked like Kris was straining to hit the high notes. That being said, I could hear his version on the radio before Glambert's.

May 19, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  85. th

Ok, Kara writes a song they both have to sing and then she tells Kris that it is too high for him. Sounds like a sabatoge to me. Why didn't she write a song for Adam and then a different song for Kris. How rigged that was. She probably did it on purpose. I hope they don't pull that stunt again. Glad we won't have to listen to them butt kissing the broadway boy much longer. I will never buy an album of his unless I decide I need to hear some screaming in every song.

May 19, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  86. leelee

Not my favorite performance, but I thought Kris' version was more radio-friendly. Simon went on and on about Adam being a potential worldwide star, but I wonder why he wouldn't apply that same possibility to Kris. There are more than a few examples of insanely successful artists who have a similar vibe – Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews, Death Cab for Cutie, John Mayer.

Oh well. Considering how little attention Simon paid Chris Daughtry, I'm not exactly sure Kris should be too upset about Simon's opinion.

May 19, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Lauren

That was horrible. It just goes to show you what Kris sounds like when he is not behind an instrument. That song did not suit his style and he has very limited vocal range, and that song showed it. Adam made a bad song sound okay. Kris made a bad song sound much much worse!

May 19, 2009 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Kimberly Presley

COME ON!!! These judges, producers, etc. are supposed to be music PROFESSIONALS! How can you possibly take two very different performers and require them to sing in the same key? Why would it be so bad for them to be able to transpose the key to better suit their individual vocal range? I adore Kris and think that Adam is also talented, but this is completely unfair.

May 19, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Cherie

It was the song. Can't believe it took 3 people to write THAT?

May 19, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Anee

Chris will win!! He has all of Danny's votes. Adam is not an "American"
    idol!!!

May 19, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Kyla

um the key's no excuse. kris already moved the key down from the one adam did. i think by either a minor third or by a whole step, i forget exactly. no excuse whatsoever. he could have moved it down more.

May 19, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Bill

That song was also AWFUL.

May 19, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Yuna

Like my comment previously, it looked like Kris lost all confidence with this last performance; as if he was crying backstage before singing this last song. Oh, hell, even if he doesn't win, he will have his "career". I still love Adam the best and he is/was in a league all his own. Go Adam!!!

May 19, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  94. liz

I am a huge Adam fan and want him to win. However I feel bad for Kris. Kara's song was clearly written with Adam in mind. That is not very fair to Kris who is very different singer. Good show overall tonight though.

May 19, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Bob S

This horrible song was more suited to Kris' voice, however, written in Adam's key. I guess that's fair to both contestants.

May 19, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Mary

I have to hand it to Kris – I was very, very proud to see him in the final. He is a class act. That song was awful – and there is no way it should be the single released for EITHER ONE of them. Good bye, Kara. It was fun having you on the show for ONE season.

May 19, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Erinn

I didn't like the song at all, but i liked Kris's version better then Adam's.

May 19, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Theresa

What is up with the judges talking to chris like he has already lost!!! That is not right!!

May 19, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |