May 19th, 2009

Top 2: Adam has a 'Change'

Dang that Adam Lambert cleans up nice!

Adam Lambert

He is looking fine in his suit, which is perfect for the Sam Cooke classic "A Change Is Gonna Come," which Simon Fuller has selected for him to sing.

That's the good news. The bad news is I think he totally oversang that song.

He started off so well and then he couldn't resist going full throttle. The judges are going crazy and praising him to the high heavens, but I wanted him to do a less-is-more. I worry that the fans (excluding the Lambs) are going to get tired of the over-the-topness.

And holy crap on a cracker, what is Katie Holmes doing there with Suri?!?!? Isn't it past that child's bed time? Was Katie holding the baby's head like that to protect her eardrums from being "Lambasted?"

Filed under: American Idol judges • television

1. BDowns

Iam a Danny fan and I voted for Adam, he is the best of the two.

May 20, 2009 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Charlie

I don't think he oversang the song at all. It was I think his best vocal performance. He held it back at the begining and gave the Lambs what they wanted at the end with the high notes. Love it.

May 20, 2009 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. NC Mom

Something strikes me about Adam being almost a reincarnation of Elvis. He was loved...he was hated......he was daring and different...he was a roadblazing talented superstar. Adam has incredible gift and that kind of potential. I know...I'm old enough to remember.

That's not to say that Kris doesn't have talent too. He'll be great to listen to on the radio, but when Adam comes on he'll be the show stopper that I'll turn up the volume for.

May 20, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Velma Hill

Adam obviously trumps!!

May 20, 2009 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MIA

Adam Lambert is a class act that is very hard to follow. He has a phenomenal voice, trendy style, handsome as all hell and that tongue!! I look forward to everytime he hits a high note so I can see that sexual, beautiful, amazing tongue. I just wanted to kiss him jujst once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brian from Colorado

Fuller's song choice for Adam was terrible. It's a wonderful, iconic song, that absolutely does NOT need to be performed on American Idol by a glam rocker. Seriously, an anthem of the civil rights movement ... (ditto on his song choice for Kris) ... does Fuller even have a clue what happened in the United States in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and how incredibly poignant those songs are in the proper context ... and how cheap they become out of context on a poignancy-free show like American Idol? "Completely indulgent" song choice, to quote the other Simon.

Agree with Jerry, who said that Adam is decidedly unoriginal. He has the same schtick in every song, and has borrowed many of his supposedly "original" arrangements from previously recorded versions.

That said, he does have spectacular range. I cringe everytime he goes into "tongue-half-out" mode, but at least he's on pitch. He definitely has considerably more vocal talent/prowess than his counterpart. But, he's bored me since about week 4 of the finals.

May 20, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Galoux

Oversang? Say wha'? It was the perfect counterpoint to "Mad World." Sheesh, I wondered at first–a Sam Cooke song? But my, oh my. The power, the emotion! That man is a force to be reckoned with. Not to mention tres sexy, and I don't care I'm on the other side of 50. Yow!

He sang his face off, I voted my fingers off.

May 20, 2009 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Shannon

BORING! So glad I don't have to hear him scream anymore!

May 20, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Barbara

OM f@#$%&* GOD.......this man has the greatest gift I have had the pleasure of listening to. He is so talented. He has such a range and a disiplined voice on him. This song showed and proved that he is worlds way better than Kris......any day!!!! Looking forward to Adam's CD.

May 20, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jerry

To the one that said adam was original, your way off base. He hasnt done one original piece yet. Thats simply a fact! Mad word was a rip off of anothers cover. Even the horrendus Johnny Cash Ring of Fire was a rip off anothers work. If you want a person who can sing one thing....and have the work done for him, by all means pick adam. If you want talent and one who is not limited, then is simple, Kris!

May 20, 2009 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brandy

I loved Adam with this song.

May 20, 2009 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Laura

Completely agree that he overdid the song- he's always so over the top that it gets obnoxious

May 20, 2009 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. Cougar4Adam

Fuller is an idiot.........song choices were bad for both contestants

May 20, 2009 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. Cougar4Adam

Adam, does not oversing anything! His awesome talent, stage presence will as Paula said ensure that he will become Iconic!
    I hope all the fans voted last night.................
    The song the Kara wrote was HORRIBLE!! They should let America vote and select the final song for the contestants.

May 20, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  15. doug

I think that adam is a great singer, maybe the best ever on the show, but if you recall Taylor Hicks did this song as his AI audition and I thought he performed a more authentic rendition than Adam. I know Adam did not pick this song, but I think he should stay away from this type of material. With that said, I think Adam is very original and should win the show. I think both the Simon Fuller selections and the original song did not do these two performers justice.

May 20, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  16. JW

@ Susan

We are talking about AMERICAN IDOL, not Canadian who care what you like or don't

May 20, 2009 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  17. Tom

Adam is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has star quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He deserves to win american idol!!!

May 20, 2009 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  18. dave

Bedtime? This show started at 5 p.m. pacific. This is why bloggers are not journalists.

May 20, 2009 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  19. Doppy

To the person who said that Adam doesn't need to do his own "twist" on every song he sings – If you don't do your own original version of a song it's nothing more than a karaoke show. Until Adam Lambert, American Idol has never been anything more than a karaoke show. Unfortunately, I would hate to be on next seasons show as how do you follow Adam. Anything done from here on out will seem unimpressive and unoriginal. Lambert has changed the scene and style of Idol permanently. Kudos to Adam to resurrecting a show that was on it's way out and becoming predictable and boring.

May 20, 2009 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  20. Wendy

Adam is unreal!!!!!!!!!That was A MA Z I N G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME performance Adam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  21. Diana

I agree that he oversang the song; but if you look back, he's singing right after Simon told Kris that he undersang his song, and didn't really go for it. Subtlety is sometimes lost in this venue. Adam wants to look like he means to win.

May 20, 2009 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  22. Wyle Keaton

Sucked! Boring in the beginning – bland at the end- and screamy somewhere in between. Very typical of most of his performances. Ack! He would definitely make a good Vegas act – but I'd never consider purchasing his music.

May 20, 2009 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  23. cuehic

American-Adam !!!!!!! its all yours baby ! wow wow & wow. this guy is HOT. hes got the sparkle, he is just one hot talented hunk u love.

cb toronto, Canada

May 20, 2009 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  24. Mike H

Past Suri's bedtime? Isn't the show done out on the west coast? It would have been 6:00 when the show was over.... Anyhow, getting to the point, when Lambert is paired up with a producer who can reign him in, we'll hear less of the over-the-top vocals. Lambert, no doubt, is the more versatile and talented of the two remaining contestants. However, Kris will surely find success of his own but off on a different and more narrow road.

May 20, 2009 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  25. claire

I could understand thinking that he oversang One, but this? No, this was intensely powerful and the build was perfectly measured and emotional.

Obviously, you are totally entitled to your opinion, but he was truly amazing on this song.

May 20, 2009 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  26. si

ADAM, you are the MAN! You deliver vocal ability extra-ordinaire, artistry, and most of all – humility. I love your voice and performance style but most of all – your professionalism is most impressive. Good Luck – whether you win this or not (never know with IDOL) -- I will look forward to buying your songs and I can't wait to see you in concert.

May 20, 2009 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  27. Diane

I would have changed the artist and song on the Fuller choices. Ithink the songs were with the wrong artist in both cases. What was Fuller thinking?

May 20, 2009 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  28. bridgette

If Kris win this competition, it's going to be a rough ride for him. I love Adam, but there is not a spotlight that he can't steal. Whether he does it on purpose or not, he's not the type of person who will blend into the background with the rest of the contestants. He's going to steal the spotlight from Kris. Are they going to go on talkshows together and both of them sing. What happens when Kris sings his sweet little song on the guitar, which gets a round of applause and then Adam brings down the house with one of his Adam Lambert power ballads. Kris if he wins, will be wondering who's the American Idol, Adam or him. I think Adam is a wondering guy and mind blowing singer, but he doesn't pull back for anyone. He's not the type to hold back on a song, as we have seen all season. What happens when he continually overshadows Kris, will these two stay free and will be cause friction.

May 20, 2009 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  29. diana v

Adam the performance of this song was fantastic it gave me total goosebumps that was a masterpiece you've won just by that song alone. Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  30. ang

Adam is too over the top. Kris has the best all around artistry. Go Kris. I can't get through either. Keep trying.

May 19, 2009 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  31. paige

like kara and paula, i tuned in every week just to see what adam would deliver...and deliver he did one of my all time top favorites tunes! not many could pull this song off...sam cooke would be proud. he has my vote if only i could!

May 19, 2009 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  32. joy

Adam, you were wonderful again. Thank you

May 19, 2009 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Luke

Kris and Adam were both really good tonight but my votes are with Adam. He's been more than great all season. A month ago no one even knew who Kris was. Adam was a star from the beginning.

May 19, 2009 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  34. The Real Eva

Its a combo Cook/Franklin. He did not oversing.

May 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  35. lin

Kris and Adam are the MVPs, meanwhile Megan was squeaking and Anoop was boring and Lil was off key and Matt was trying on hats etc..... You are both great and whoever wins deserves it. (And Allison was great too)

May 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Karen

Adam's amazing! He really could sing the phone book and I'd buy it! Kris is boring.

May 19, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Dana

being "Lambasted" is my favorite weeknight pasttime!

May 19, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Tarheel

Even my wife, who is a huge Kris fan, admitted she liked Adam's version of "A change is gonna come" Adam should win hands down. Kris is a really good singer and I don't blame people for voting for him, but vote for him for his singing ability and not some ignorant prejudices you might have against Adam.

May 19, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  39. idol fan

Brilliant performances Adam!!

May 19, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Sherri

Kris has much more artistry going on than Adam does, and that kind of surprises me, considering where Adam's been, career wise. There is no doubt that Adam is a good performer, but to my ears he just sound too shreek-y when he sings a lot of the time. My vote is for Kris....if I am EVER able to get thru!

May 19, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  41. bridgette

I really liked this one, the only one of the night I really liked. Mercy, didn't he look delicious, he can wear a suit. I wish they could have choosen all three of their songs, because they would have done a better job, even though I liked Change. This song, should win Adam the AI title, it was best overall.

May 19, 2009 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  42. tom

Adam is always better on the replay.... I do the same thing I thought he over sang Change but on replay it was AMAZING. Same with the last song on Replay it is definately worth listening too. Judge the Talent it is a talent contest. Adam is in a league of his own.

May 19, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Jen

I am so sorry to all of the Kris fans, but Adam is a true performer. I get chills everytime he sings!!!! Kris is a good singer, but he doesn't change it up at all. He always seems to have the same voice and same style that gets boring!!! If I pay to see a performer I want to get my moneys worth and with Adam I know thats what I would get 🙂

Go Adam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 19, 2009 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Susan - Canada

Hey people.....not everyone loves Adam. I for one, just don't like him...period.

May 19, 2009 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Denise C

Adam is unbelievable.. He has such grace and talent that no one can touch him, thats what a performer is too me, he can sing anything and make it his own. No way does he over sing a song he has his own style and makes it his own, regardless the outcome he will have a great career ahead of him, can't wait for the cd!!! GO ADAM!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!

May 19, 2009 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Bob

He started out really well with a slight gospel twinge. For Adam there doesn't seem to be a middle ground....it's either really soft or really loud. First part was really good but last part was over sang and over stated.

May 19, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Robin

Smarty-pants... the show is taped in California... remember, they're 3 hours behind the East Coast. Do the math... hee hee....

May 19, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Mr. Drew

Now, I don't know about artistic because Kris has some artistic talent. However, when it comes to talent, Adam Lambert is by far the better singer and performer. America should vote for the best singer, not the guy they feel is the underdog.

May 19, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  49. RH

Amazing performance – it was like being at an Adam Lambert concert. There is no comparison.

May 19, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Dyan

It's live on the west coast, so Suri was probably just looking forward to having some dinner after the show. 😉 There's a 3-hour time difference. 😉

May 19, 2009 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Judy

Just rewound the tape and listened to this again. His performance is even better than I thought. It was Fantastic. Not too Adamoized at all as I originially sort of thought. I was wrong. This was REALLY good.

May 19, 2009 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Dan from Iowa

I thought Adam was fantastic tonight as he was all season. He brought this whole show up a notch – I've talked to many people who never watched this show before. They heard about Adam and tuned in. I know the judges seem to lean towards Adam – but that's not his fault. He has been just as humble and gratious as Kris. They're both class acts – but I think Adam Lambert will be our next American Idol.

May 19, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  53. tracey

That performance was emotional and heart felt. He left it out there on the stage with that song, Moved me to tears, Hte man is too talented for words.

May 19, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  54. texas

Adam blew it out of the park! Kris is ok but Adam should win.

May 19, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Mr. Izz

It was 5:00 when the show started in California. A little late for Katie's baby?

Adam's the king. He's gotta win this thing. Come on America. Get it right!

May 19, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  56. c annabel

Talented yes, but Adam's over the top notes are almost too much for human ears!

May 19, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Juno

Not an Adam fan....but he will do great on Broadway!!!

May 19, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  58. maggie t

Thank God its over for good. My head is so so sore.

May 19, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Thea

Anahita the judges job is to pick the bet why do you think they side with Adam? "Desperate Housewives" don't pick the winner.

May 19, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Thea

Adam kicked Donkey!

May 19, 2009 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Jack

LeoXoel – I love what you said. Adam ROCKS. Great singing tonight.

May 19, 2009 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Judy

oh why does that boy have to look so damn good to women, (even if maybe women don't look that good to him ?) I dunno but this old girl says that kid is just plain hot, no matter who he likes to hang out with.

May 19, 2009 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  63. LeoXoeL

Adam's an S-O-B:....Stupendous Outstanding Breathtaking...

May 19, 2009 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  64. HJO

Please, photoshop that stupid chainlink fence out.

May 19, 2009 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Misty

Is this live? If they are in CA (which I am assuming they are)....it is only 5:48 CA, so no she shouldn't be in bed yet 😉 .

May 19, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Thede Vilthatiam

Adam oversang, as always. What did anyone expect?

May 19, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Kathy

Loved the song Kara wrote – another emotional beautiful performance by the GLAMBERT!!

May 19, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Lori

I agree I think Adam has stayed true to himself. He is consistently good throughout the entire competition. Even if he doesn't win I believe he will outsell Kris and any other season 8 contestant.

May 19, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Anahita

I really, really, really hope and pray that Kris wins.
    I use to like Adam, but he is a done deal.
    It is not a fair game when Judges favor him and take sides, when Simon himself is betting on him, this is not fair and this is not how you pick a Idol.
    The way that America spoke before, they should speak again, by picking the true Artist(Kris), the underdog.
    No matter the outcome, Adam has his future ahead of him and he is on his way, True humble and hard working artists like Kris don't get many chances, and they need to be recognized, aknowledged, and helped.

I was disappointed when in hte past weeks the judges never criticized Adam, it was so loud and clear, if anyone lese would of shouted that uncontrobaly from the top of thier lungs, they would of been hammered and smashed to nothing, but no not Adam.
    I DON'T LIKE WHEN THEY DO THIS.
    AMERICA PLEASE SPEAK UP TONIGHT AND VOTE FOR THE TRUE ARTIST.

May 19, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Dave

That was painful.

May 19, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  71. CAC

I really wanted a rock song for adam tonight. Sad...:(

May 19, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  72. James

Oy, and enough about the screaming! Learn the difference between screaming and a supernatural range. People are so incredibly uncultured.

May 19, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  73. B

This was phenomenal.

May 19, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Judette

I thought he did a great job with that song. I don't think he over sang it at all.

May 19, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Judy

I love Adam. Please everyone VOTE for Adam. He should learn though that he doesn't have to do the full on total Mony "Lambert Twist" to every song. Never mind. When he starts doing his own material after AI he'll explore all kinds of horizons as an artist.

May 19, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Eva

Ok I just noticed its only 545 in california so its not past her bedtime

May 19, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  77. joan

Rock on Adam!!! Kris is doing his best to compete but you undoubtedly have far more talent....he can play his little instruments....but he still doesn't compare to you....

May 19, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  78. James

Wait, I don't get it. Adam just did a stripped down, less-is-more song, and now you want him to do the same thing AGAIN? Adam has proven that his lower-middle register is stunning, almost unbeatable. But that high register is what sends me into the stratosphere.

May 19, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Willis

Adam oversing something?? Surely you jest!!

May 19, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Yuna

I think Adam is stealing the show. Don't get me wrong, Kris is a fine singer, but his ballads are getting boring. It's not past Suri's bedtime; it's like 6:45p.m. in Hollywood.

May 19, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Jon

I'm sorry but he sounds like Axl Rose in a blender.

May 19, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Spammy

Adam has never given "less is more". He's holding true to himself. Last week I felt what you're saying, a little. But, that song, that voice..brilliant! Especially with a lackluster follow up from Kris.

May 19, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Joan

The single greatest performance EVER in the history of American Idol. Absolutely moved me to tears and sent shivers up my spine.

I like Kris, I think he's a nice guy but this like watching two ENTIRELY different shows. The warmup guy and the star....or the guy that's performing in the lobby and the headlining guy on the main stage.

Adam Lambert rocked this OUT of the park....greatest Idol EVER

May 19, 2009 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  84. BradleyGene

No way adam over sang that song......adam's best song of the year was "Tracks of my tears"....i dont know why he didnt get to sing that...boo

May 19, 2009 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  85. dragongrrl

I thought it was FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!! I admit, sometimes when Adam goes into scream mode I cringe a bit. I didn't cringe on this. I felt like he sang the living hell out of that song.

May 19, 2009 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Eva

Suri was there??? how did I miss that got to rewind.

May 19, 2009 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Mary Donaldson

Change gave me CHILLS!!!

May 19, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Zebulon

It's tough... he didn't pick the song, so it's TOTALLY not his style. He does a lot better when it's his own style.

May 19, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Eva

Agree he over sang it

May 19, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Shaiyna

I ended up tuning him out because I was bored.

May 19, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Bob S

One word: AMAZING!!!! I still can feel those little hairs standing up on the back of my neck.

May 19, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |