May 13th, 2009

Top 3: Jordin Sparks is back

Jordin Sparks sings her new single, "Battlefield," and is accompanied by the song's writer, One Republic frontman Ryan Tedder.

Jordin Sparks

She is looking quite glam, but it took me a minute to figure out she was singing "You better go get your armor," because it sounded like she was saying, "You better go get your drama."

I love those songs that have built-in, misheard lyrics.

She looks about 10 feet tall in the mini-dress, and I am slightly freaked out by the scary look she throws into the camera at the end of the song, complete with dramatic lighting that on my screen made her look like she was almost glowing green.

Wicked!

Filed under: television

1. Ed Y

at the end of her performance she had her arms spread out wide and on her left had you can see a HUGE ring. when she whips her hands back the ring goes flying towards the crowd.. I was roflmao. I cant believe I can't find any mention of this anywhere on the internet.

May 15, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. piperone

omg i'm so glad I'm not the only one that was confused by the lyrics lol

May 15, 2009 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. sonja

Seriously ....was she trying to act like beyonce she looked a mess!

May 15, 2009 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Barbara

Absolutely horrible...ask Simon, he'll tell you. That wicked stare at the end freaked my daughter and I out!!

May 14, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Morris the Cat

Problem with American Idol is that too many of its grads are shaped to be the next Rihanna, Beyonce, Ciara, Whitney, Britney, Jessica, etc.

Not enough to be Pink, Bjork, Adele, Sarah Vaughan, Lavern Baker, Billie Holiday, Sheila Jordan, Karen O., Amy Winehouse, etc.

May 14, 2009 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Morris the Cat

Jordin was my second favourite Idol winner (after Fantasia) but Idol's record producers inflicted her with the typical AI sugar-pop stuff that kills careers and taints the entire Idol system. Fantasia was given a piece of garbage fluff-stained record to break out and it flopped. At least Fantasia has acting chops and went to Broadway....

Jordin was a precocious 16 year old superstar who looked 24 cuz she was nearly 6 feet tall and had great genetics. Now, look at the sad state of affairs. She obviously can't write stuff so she has to go with the terrible writers of American Idol sugar. Trying to hard to emulate Beyonce, Rihanna, Ciara, ALicia Keyes (who was great last night), Britney....

Probably explains why Lil Rounds got knocked out so early. She tried to do that pretty-pop and it flopped. Should have done Billie Holiday, Lavern Baker, Muddy Watters, etc.

May 14, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gail Trotter

I Love Jordan Sparks and thought she looked, especially good last PM. However, the song was a trainwreck!!!

May 14, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. nickoy

Girl, I want to hear again your strong vocals.

May 14, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kj

Did anyone notice her ring fly off her hand during her performance? If you recorded it, you can see it. For some reason my kids thought it was so funny. We had to rewind it and watch it over and over.

May 14, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jess

I have to say, I agree with everyone. I love Jordan Spark's music, but, throughout this song, I kept asking myself, "why would an artist who wrote 'One Step at a Time' write a song like this?" It didn't make any sense, and probably because she isn't famous for songs about a battlefield; her songs are usually more uplifting (which I actually liked). But, consider, she's definitely grown up from the 16 or 17 year old who first one Idol in 2007; you have to lose your innocence sometime. So, for me, all was well and good until she shot that killer look of ungodly hatred and pain into the camera. Whoa... what's her problem??? I'm really hoping she didn't mean a word she sang last night....

May 14, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. I'mjustsayin'

Correction: I mean
    whoever writes for Rhianna COULD write for Jordan as well.

May 14, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. I'mjustsayin'

I love Jordan but please please Timbaland, write my girl some material. I also think whoever writes for Rhianna write for Jordan as well.

May 14, 2009 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. t

She sucks

May 14, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Diana

I felt she was going through a battlefield while singing or lip-synching the song. She can do much better than that. However, she did look very good, very cute.

May 14, 2009 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kelly

She looked stunning! And people who say she can't sing need to google the video of "You'll Never Walk Alone". She was 17 when she sang that!!

I do agree the song didn't showcase her vocals, or wasn't really her genre, but she was wicked good!

May 14, 2009 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  16. Poor thing

That was not a great performance.

who told her to try to act like Beyonce? bad move...

May 14, 2009 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  17. tina

A very poor performance but I was never a huge fan of hers.

May 14, 2009 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  18. Rick

Good to see Jordin back but that song was somewhat boring.

May 14, 2009 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  19. paul

Sorry Jordan, Battlefield is not a good rock song for you. You have way too much talent to waste it on a low level rock tune. Way too many battlefield lines, and go get your armor, what heck does that mean?

May 14, 2009 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  20. Liss

Jordin looked great last night!

May 14, 2009 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  21. cynthia

she looks good – and normal – and i dont' think she had plastic surgery – she was always very pretty – she looked slimmer around the face so i think she lost some weight but i dont think she had a nose job at all

May 14, 2009 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  22. Ohio

FANTASTIC, BEAUTIFUL, CLASSY, EXCELLENT – All define Jordin Sparks. By far the BEST celebrity performance!!!!! Excellent!

May 14, 2009 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  23. Don Domat

Wow, she is BIG!!! Heavy, and that face ... duh

May 14, 2009 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  24. jessica

yeah, her face was pretty scary. that should have warned to tv audience before they did that. i'm sure a lot of children had bad dreams last night. poor kids. great perfromance though.

May 14, 2009 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  25. Bob

Horrible – she would not have made top 5 this season.

May 14, 2009 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  26. Jas

the song was amazing...vocally!! Who cares if the end "looked: wicked! When it hits number one on the charts...remember your comments on here...and it will!

May 14, 2009 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  27. Mary

Of all the winners in all the past seasons, she ranks as one of the biggest disappointments in my book.

May 13, 2009 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Caroline

I didn't like that song or performance either, plus, the dress was truly hideous. Gosh if I had that much money I would at least wear something classy looking.

May 13, 2009 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Dennis

And to think, she won over Melinda Doolittle. Crikeys, that was painful to listen to, so after ten seconds I just changed the channel while it was on. Please don't do that to us again. Heck, if she had sung like this two years ago she wouldn't have even gotten to Hollywood, let alone won.

May 13, 2009 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  30. AJ

Song was not good....but she looked good. She has either lost a lot of weight...plastic surgery or really tight girdle on...but she still looked good.

May 13, 2009 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Marc

Big-time plastic surgery, on her nose and arms (Alcia Keys has had a bunch, also. She looks nothing like she did just a couple of years ago). Song was awful; Lip-synching was even worse. Another "packaged product", and soon to be forgotten, but not soon enough.

May 13, 2009 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  32. EB Allen

Terrible song...I think Pat Benatar already did a song like it...only LOTS better. 😉

May 13, 2009 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  33. JOsh

"you better go get your armor?" Who wrote those lyrics? OMG, bad!!!!!

May 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Emily

Does anyone else think that she got a nose job?

May 13, 2009 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  35. jerry

Yuck. Not good

May 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Bob

She looked and sounded hot hot hot

May 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Soriah Siss

Absolutely horrible performance.

May 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Slainte

Yeah – I thought it was my TV again ... it sounded like there was no melody!!

May 13, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Justin

The anticipation is huge. Who will it be?

Danny vs Kris?

Danny vs Adam?

Who know! I hate working on results night. Thank goodness for this blog!

J

May 13, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Bob

Wow, that song was bad. Seriously, it had no melody at all. Jordin Sparks is better than that.

May 13, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |