May 12th, 2009

Top 3: Adam Lambert loves U2

Seriously, how did they decide which judges got to pick which songs for which contestants?

Adam Lambert

Simon selects "One" by U2 for Adam to sing, and we learn that Simon got a call from Bono clearing the song for use. Groovy.

Adam is in denim, and I find myself missing the leather. I am going to risk the wrath of the Lambs and say I don't think he did his best.

I thought it was going to be AMAZING, and it was just OK. He seemed like he fell back on the theatrics instead of just singing beautifully as we know he can.

But honestly, Adam so owns this show this season that they should rename it "Adam Idol." He advises the audience to rewind the performance and listen to how beautiful the U2 lyrics are, and I find myself reaching for the remote. I am his to command!!

And not to beat a dead horse, but honestly I want to do a Three Stooges smack on the judges down the line with all of the snark they are throwing at each other. When Kara launched into the faux-British accent to taunt Simon, I was waiting for the "Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah" to come next.

Filed under: television

Next entry »
  1. terri

Personally, I think Adam improved on the song and owned it.

May 27, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sara

I really do not like Adam. I did at first..but now he is so boring. He reminds me more of a drag queen dressed up.
    Kris is my fav. His voice is pure and I like that he is NORMAL.
    Go Kris...YOU have my vote all the way!!!

May 19, 2009 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CLM

Can't believe anyone could find fault with Adam's performance. Adam is totally a superstar. I do agree Danny was meant to go home and Kris is so darn boring and his mouth so hard to watch I can't even look. Go ADAM!

May 18, 2009 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. luke

dude you guys are a bunch of friggin babies. Adam ha more talent than any singer to ever try out for idol and i personally think he's got the same qualities as like, axle rose or steve tyler. Great singer, great performer. you guys dont know talent. (kara sucks though)

May 13, 2009 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Allie B

Anyone who does not think that Adam will be big is seriously delusional. It's fine to not like him, his style, or his voice – that's your perogative and this is the USA. That said, I just got back from a three week trip to Europe, Australia, New Zealand and he was the ONLY AI contestant (save for Allison and occasionally Kris) that anyone is talking about. This show may be "American Idol' but entertainment is a global business and Adam is the definition of an international star.

While I personally didn't love his performances last night as much as other weeks (in part due to arrangements and the awful sound mix) he has made this season interesting and deserves to be in the final. So does Kris, who has consistently who has demonstrated his artistry throughout the season despite little support from the judges and producers. He mus be doing something right to make the Top 3.

May 13, 2009 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cindy

Hey Geoff, I own an American car and refuse to buy anything made in China – and I can't stand Adam. He's overly dramatic and perfect for Broadway. Close your eyes and listen to him sing, I mean scream. He's not that good. And I've been around music all my life. The finally should be Alison and Kris. But the idols that don't win usually do better than the person that wins. Goes to show you how much pull the "voters" have in the real world.

Kara, you're annoying. Time for you to go. Four judges is too many.

May 13, 2009 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. idolcritic

Idol-is-fixed – get a life. Those who like Adam DON'T CARE about his personal life, they just appreciate his TALENT. Calling Kris a joke is equally ridiculous and your Danny would be horrified to read your opinion or have someone like you in his fan club. Adam will have the last laugh – all the way to the bank, no matter what happens tonight.

May 13, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kristine

With all do respect, Lisa...the numbers may be easier to remember, but all you need to do is look at the phone and know that the numbers are COLUMN 1, 2, and 3.

May 13, 2009 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Idol-is-fixed

Lambert is LAME. Yes, he butchered the U2 song, but then again, U2 sucks anyway so who cares.

The stupid public will vote for him and he'll win...he will NOT be famous like Kelly or Carrie...ADAM will be the Taylor Hicks...flash-in-the-pan. And when he comes out of the closet, all the people who say they "love" him now will bash him...that's just the human nature of it.

Kris is a JOKE...I cannot stand looking at him while he contorts his face and dislocates his jaw EVERY time he sings...it's like a horror movie gone bad. He's cute, yes, just don't look at him...he'll be going home tonight.

Danny is TERRIFIC. He may not have the stage presence of the freaky Adam, but he sings and he sings very well...I hope he WINS!

Here's what Adam needs to do after he gets voted off tonight:

Reprise the role of Dr. Frank-N-Furter in Rocky Horror Picture Show. Come on, you can all see it, can't you?? He already does most of the makeup...it wouldn't be a stretch for the rest.

May 13, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chris Kirkpatrick

While I'm not exactly a passenger on the Adam train, I have to take issue with those who would disqualify him on account of his "experience." Whether you realize it or not, Adam is far from the first contestant to have professional experience prior to going on Idol. In fact, few of these people woke up one day and said to themselves,"Hey, I'm going to try out for American Idol." (perhaps with the exception of Jason Castro). Many have been educated in Music, have had vocal training, were in bands...Adam was just the UNDERSTUDY for Fierro in "Wicked." That shouldn't disqualify him. Let the boy sing. Seriously!

May 13, 2009 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Greg

JW – a couple of things:

1. You are sitting on your butt in front of a computer screen like the rest of us.

2. We get that you are an Adam fan, but just because you are, you don't need to be defensive when others don't agree with you.

3. Regarding your earlier comment, yes some pretty talented people applauded and recognized his talent. I recognize his talent. I'm just not a fan of the screeching and screaming and think he would do much better if he just sang.

We may not have the talent of those people, but our opinions do matter as we are the consumers and the ones that will actually buy (or not buy) his music. And I personally wouldn't want the music he performed last night even if someone paid me $20 to have it.

May 13, 2009 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JW

I cannot wait for American Idol to be over and the contestants are no longer subjected to this crap. What will you all do with your time then? Find someone else who is attempting to reach a dream (rather than sitting on their butt in front of a computer screen) to insult and bash. What is wrong with you people?

May 13, 2009 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. Niix

I recognize Adam's ability, appeal and imminent apotheosis into the music world. I know he's been branded with the 'It' stick. However, his 'It" on One was more like an evil clown wielding an enormous bloody axe with a jagged edge (are you paying attention Mr. King?) as he wantonly butchered one of my favorite U2 songs. I'll bet this is the last time Bono allows the use of their songs on AI. I'd rather stick a rusty spoon in my eye than listen to that performance ever again.

May 13, 2009 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. Greg

Sasha – I agree. It started out good when he held control and sang it normally. Then he just took it to a whole nother level (and not in a good way). It made Mary J. Blige's version even sound good. Bono must be horrified.

May 13, 2009 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sasha

I don't understand why the judges (and America apparently) love him, even if he has a bad performance! The first 45 seconds of this song were beautiful. I actually thought I'd like his song for once. Then he started his high pitched, screamy, tongue sticking out, spit flying, gasping for air singing he normally does, and it went straight down hill. Ruined it. I'm hoping for an upset!

May 13, 2009 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  16. dnice

To Andrea:
    I didn't have any trouble getting through for Adam. Which scares me. I had trouble voting for Danny.

May 13, 2009 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  17. Greg

No one is saying the guy isn't talented, but he clearly doesn't know when to control the screaming and screeching. If he would show some more control he would be more tolerable. The performances last night definitely were not tolerable.

May 13, 2009 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  18. dnice

All I can say is WOW!!! The BEST show I ever saw for Idol. Like it or not, Adam is the best talent, hands down. But not everyone is going to like his style. There is a style for everyone up there on that stage. Each of them earned their place last night. They will all have careers, but I think Adam will be as famous as Michael Jackson. (With no negative connotation meant). He will be a legend some day.

May 13, 2009 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  19. JW

Yes, Linda everything is a conspiracy, you pick a number and dial it and if you have trouble remembering three numbers, WRITE IT DOWN

May 13, 2009 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  20. JW

Let's see, Smokey Robinson gave Adam a standing O, Slash said he has incredible vocals, Jamie Fox went on and on about him (as well as the girls he watched it with), shall I go on? Seriously, I think I will take what these people have to say about Adam to heart, rather than a bunch of poeple who have no musical experience outside of watching AI (which is none by the way). Do you really think you are right over these amazingly talented individuals?

May 13, 2009 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  21. Lil

Adam, go home. You totally ruined a great song. That was horrible!

May 13, 2009 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  22. Eric Sabo

I agree ... this song is about the gorgeous melody and lyrics and not theatrics and mellisma. Thing about Adam is that while he most definitely can sing, I am never moved by him. His performances all seem contrive.

May 13, 2009 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  23. Andrea

First off, I cannot freakin' STAND Kara. She's too stupid and obnoxious to be a judge. Second, I love Adam and I think he's the most talented of the bunch ... That said, this was not my favorite week for him. I thought "Feeling Good" (Rat Pack week) was his best performance and I'm still stunned that he allegedly finished near the bottom during that week. Third, as much as I love Adam, I have never been able to vote for him because I CANNOT GET THROUGH. I tried all three lines last night numerous times during the voting time window, but I got a busy signal every time. What's up with that?

May 13, 2009 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  24. Greg

What a horrible embarrassing version of a classic. The judges are just kissing his butt. The guy is talented but last night he was way too over the top.

Adam should have done NIN's "Hurt", Kris should have done DM's "Personal Jesus" (Acoustic), and Danny should have done The Eagles "Desperado"

May 13, 2009 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  25. Carolyn

Unfair – Paula gives Danny a stupid disco song and Adam gets a great U2 song! All that aside Adam screams way too much, seems to want to show us all some wierd tongue aberration he has, and looks like a caberet performer every SINGLE time he sings. I might be able to enjoy him if I was only listening to him, but watching him gives me the serious creeps!

May 13, 2009 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  26. Spoonface

Boy, Adam sure can scream a good song!

May 13, 2009 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  27. Greg

What a horrible embarrassing version of a classic. The judges are just kissing his ass. The guy is talented but last night he was way too over the top.

May 13, 2009 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  28. Bob

It should be criminal what Adam did to "One". If butchering a song were a crime, he'd be on death row.

May 13, 2009 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  29. Geoff

All you Adam haters probably drive Toyotas and Hyundais, buy European made clothes, and look for a lot of Chinese made household junk. Let's keep it real here. You hate America and everything that America stands for. That's what an Adam hater is.

May 13, 2009 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  30. Joey

Hey Adam, STOP SCREAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2009 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
  31. Renee

Adam is great & all but will have to say it doesn't seem fair when he has been doing stage work and on the pro end of preformances since he was young. Adam can stoop screetching and get his ego in check, as good as you are..I won't be the one buying your CD and I think you won't go as far as you think.
    As for Danny & Kris, I think they are the true "show"mena, as they are the ones that have shown their humble beginnings to where they are now.

May 13, 2009 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  32. Margie

I am an Adam fan but the U2 song didn't work for me either but I thought he did great on the Aerosmith song. I voted for Adam tonight and had more trouble getting through than any other night this season, even with 3 lines. I don't think being crowned the "Idol" is really that big of a deal. They are in the top 3 they have created their fan base and they ALL will get a record deal. Even when you like an artist or a group typically you will like 6 or 7 songs on a 12 track CD. Everyone has there favorites.....so we will just wait to see who produces the best music after AI and the AI Tour!!! My prediction is that we will hear a lot more from Adam and that he will sell millions of CD's the first time out. We will see if its good enough for him to do a second. I think that Danny and Kris will fade away after Idol, doing a reality show, hosting or be one of those who are primarly know as having been on AI. But I think he will put together a great rock CD and I will certainly buy it. G

Good Luck Adam, you are the best of the three and you are on your way to the top. Just remember Chris Daughtry....he totally rocks.....love his music and can't wait for the next CD...and who even remembers the top 2 that season. Your a winner no matter what!

May 13, 2009 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  33. Roger Barton

The judges were pathetic the way they swooned all over Adam. I do not get it, this is an amateur signing competition but yet they allowed Adam into this competition knowing full well he has been signing professionally for 8 years. Does seem fair.

Then to top it off, count the number of times he has closed the show. You may not think it is important, but the person who closes the show normally obtains more votes. Its the last person you remember. Week after week after week he has closed the show, which means to me, the Producers want him to win. This was very apparent tonight when Simon Cowell basically was a walking billboard for him, as well as, the other judges. To me I am tired of the same old tongue and screaming. Its always the same, dramatic Adam we see.

Again I do not think it is fair the way the judges behaved last nigh or for the past several weeks. You can tell they want him to win. They want the person that they feel will give them the most $$ from their lame record contracts. They stacked the deck tonight against the other two. They want Kris off the show, as he has a higher fan base then Adam. They want him off the show, because he could upset who they wish to win and that is Adam. The only person you can see routing for Kris on the show is Ryan Seacrest.

Actually I hope Adam wins, because the winner on Idol is not the winner. They get a lame recording contract, where they barely make any money for a year (IDOL TAKES BACK) with songs that they do not have a choice to sing.

Anyway, I am extremely disappointed in the judges, Next year, I hope bring it back down to three judges. Four is just too much and Kara is irritating at best.

May 13, 2009 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  34. benjamin

How absolutely awful. I'm at a loss for words...

I'm 100% biased as a lifelong U2 fan...but this was inexcusable. Adam is the worst in AI history. He sounds like broadway Matt Bellamy wannabe.

I'll definitely second Justin's comment...Danny owned it tonight.

May 13, 2009 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  35. Jack Frost

I thought Danny's first song was boring. Most of his songs just sound safe and ordinary to me. If his voice wasn't unique, he'd be very copy-cat. His second song was good in the second half. First half was boring.

Adam "One" – very emotional in the soft parts, but too screetchy in the middle. His best live performance was Mad World. Listen to the studio version of Whole Lotta Love and you will see how awesome he really is. He made EVERY song his own this season. Kris was the only other contestant who CONSISTENTLY made each song his own, although to mixed results. Hope the two of them will be in the finals.

Best top 4 of any season. Adam is clearly #1, though.

May 13, 2009 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  36. Susan - Canada

I cannot believe how Simon was "pimping" Adam....almost begging for viewers to vote for him. And the way the judges seem to sway the public, I'm sure they will vote for him in droves!!

May 13, 2009 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  37. sabrina

I am an Adam fan, but above all I am a U2 fan and I didnt like that version of One..still... ADAM DESERVES TO BE IN THE FINAL.. . I didnt like "Cryin" either. So once again, he deserves to be in the final but not based on these performances.. Still love ya Adam, will buy all your albums and go to your concerts no matter what..
    Kris deserves to be in the final! He will sell like John Mayer one day.. Danny will sell like Taylor Hicks.. nuff said

May 13, 2009 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  38. James

You people seem to fail to recognise brilliance when you see it. Adam has consistency on his side where these other two plain janes don't. Kris and Danny have never been as consistent as Adam so if the producers are backing Adam it's because he's not set to fail. I'll admit his songs weren't HIS best tonight but they sure kicked the other two singers out of the water. I feel sorry for Adam that the backing singer screwed up 'Cryin' for him. If you listen to the track back she's completely overpowering him and flat making it sound like he's making the mistakes, no wonder he pulled the earpiece out of his ear so he could hear himself and feel the song. She wasn't even matching him on the notes and cutting the words short while he was holding them. They just didn't match.

May 13, 2009 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  39. Jill Jarvis

It is definitely very close. I still think Adam shines over the two, but it now it is a bit of a toss-up between Danny and Kris. They both had one very good performance and one not quite as good. Despite what the judges said, no one can beat Joe Cocker singing "You Are So Beautiful." And certainly not Danny Gokey.

May 13, 2009 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  40. Ben Lee

I hung up on my spouse just to hear this guy sing...got lots of explaining to do tomorrow...and it was worth it! I vaguely remembered U2's version and not saying that he did not butcher a "masterpiece"...but I loved what I heard from Adam – because his version can stand on its own. Still a fan!

May 13, 2009 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  41. wat-evs

HE BETTER GO HOME!

May 13, 2009 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  42. lori

Adam Stinks, And Tonight He Really Lived Up To It.
    C'mon How Are You Gana Let Him Butcher An Aerosmith Song.
    He really needs to go now.... Enough Already!! Steven Tyler Would Not Be Impressed!!

May 13, 2009 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  43. RR...

Adam haters you are all in for a long two weeks...all you can say is insult Adam Lambert...he can sing whatever you want...the trouble is that you Adam haters, should listen all performers on the studio version, normal lenght, 3 to 5 minutes, not the gimpy minute and a half that's on the air, and then make up your mind, honestly, who's the best...if you have the guts for it...
    America is voting politically, and with their stomachs, just listen to yourselves
    Any way....nothing will change what is written, and that is: Adam Lambert winner American Idol 8....so be it !!!!.....

May 13, 2009 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  44. Ingrid

I could cry because that HURT ME! UGHHHH!!! He totally butchered the song and he looks like a pansy! Idol SUXS!!!!

May 12, 2009 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  45. NZchick

I too thought it wasn't his best performance. BUT, as a confirmed Adam-addict, I agree with other bloggers when they say that Adam's 'B-game' is still twice the others' 'A-game'!

I can't vote from NZ so please, all Adam fans, vote on my behalf!!!

May 12, 2009 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Kristie

That performance was AWFUL!!! It's one of my favorite songs from my favorite band... I'm disgusted. Does anyone recall Elliot Yamin singing this song with Mary J. a couple of years ago on Idol? Now THAT was amazing! And I can't see what the fuss was about getting permission from Bono to use it given it's been performed on the show before... they obviously already HAD permission for the song's use.

May 12, 2009 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  47. U2FTW

Lambert just butchered one of the greatest rock songs of all time...I'll bet Bono really regrets letting this dude get a hold of his masterpiece...

May 12, 2009 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Justin

Definitely dissapointed with Adam's performance tonight on 'One.' 'Cryin' was a bit better, as at least he pretty much stayed true to the original melody. 'One' he totally butchered the melody....why, I don't know. If he'd have stuck to the way it was written I'm sure it would have been much better. And he didn't need to go to the high wailing voice as much as he did, in both performances.

I thought Danny's 'You Are So Beautiful' was the best of the night. And that's coming from someone who was thinking he should have gone home last week.

May 12, 2009 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  49. cynrivet

I was so excited to hear the announcement that Adam would be singing One.... until he started to sing...horrible, awful, grotesque at best. Now I know what U2-The Musical would look like on Broadway. Never, ever, should Bono allow another of his creations to be so disgustingly overdone.

May 12, 2009 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jer

Adam, I think you did great. I liked the 'One' version – different is a good :-) You are sexy and yummy. All my votes are for you.

May 12, 2009 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Karen

I like Adam and think he is a good singer, but I have to draw the line when he goes and butchers a song like "One." Wasn't there any other song that Simon could have picked?
    He is right, they are great lyrics, but he shouldn't have gotten the chance to butcher them.

May 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  52. DD

Adam is really good, and he deserve to win it all.

May 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Mary

I have to agree with you about the judges tonight. Especially the two in the middle. That new one just yammers on and on; Paula acts like she's on something. This show isn't about them. And Paul left a huge makeup mark on Simon's shirt. Good lord!

Another observation – the producers really, really downplayed the hometown visits this year – what's with that? Didn't anybody show up?

May 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  54. RoseParvin

I do not think anyone should sing Bono's songs for he is the only one we would like to hear that from not any golddiger!

May 12, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  55. bridgette

Poor Adam, people love to hate him. This wasn't his best performance, but having said that, at least I wasn't bored. I am looking at these blogs and people are spending more time saying how awful Adam was, instead of complimenting their favorite. Adam acted like he didn't have a worry in the world. He was smiling and relaxed, handing out kudos to the second and third place finishers, as an afterthought. He figures even when he's at his worse, he's still twice as better, than the others at their best. I love Adam, but he didn't act like he had a care in the world. He's that confident that he's going to be there at the end, and I hope he will be. Adam was like that from the beginning. Do you remember when he walked in to the audition room and Randy said "don't be scared" and Adam said, "I'm not scared" and he wasn't and never has been. His confidence in his abilities is astounding. He believes he can sing anything and the majority of America will like it and he's been pretty much on the mark. Adam certaily don't need the judges pimping for him or the show, by putting him last, as the showstopper. They should have either put him first or second, so that their obvious pimping to their star, wouldn't be so blatant. Adam don't need the judges or this show pandering, because he knows he can sing, all he needed this show for was a vehicle to showcase his talents. Adam, I love you and hope to see you crowned as the American Idol, you have earned it and certainly deserve it.

May 12, 2009 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  56. U2 Fan

They should never use a U2 song. That is a band you just don't touch.

May 12, 2009 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Charity Jones

I absolutely love Adam. I can't wait to buy his music. The Dude is good. There's no dening it. God Bless you Adam.

May 12, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  58. CW

Adam was awful.!!!! I can't stand this guy. Drama queen and drag queen in one.

May 12, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Terri

Loved it!!!!! Adam will be in the final, but honestly, it's a toss up between Kris and Danny for the second spot in the final. Loved Kris on the Kanye song, loved Danny doing Cocker. Tough, tough call.

May 12, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  60. NINA

The reason the judges are ga ga over Adam is that he's got the chops, he's got charisma and he looks like Elvis and Priscilla long lost embryo.

May 12, 2009 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Kenny

Adam butchered One...
    Danny stunk up You Are So Beautiful...
    Kris was decent...

Why do these guys consistently rewrite great songs to the point where they are nearly unrecognizable?

UGH...

May 12, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  62. St

throw up!

May 12, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  63. maggie t

for the first time i actually left the family room when the judges started to suck up to adam after the first song. i felt ill, its just so awful the way they behave.

May 12, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Slainte

Not sure Adam after those 2 performances .... he should have just toned it down a bit!!

May 12, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  65. leelee

My 6-year-old sings a better version of "One."

May 12, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Sam

Adam is gross. I cannot stand his dramatics, and the manipulative bias of the judges is really stunning. I am hoping for an upset.

May 12, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  67. andy

He was just too theatrical. Both songs were not sung that well tonight.
    Too much control was lost to theatricals. A
    Open up and say, "AAAAGH!"

May 12, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Slainte

Did that sound bad on anyone else's TV???? And I love Adam ... what happened? It sounded completely off key and my dog was upset!!

May 12, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Nan

Yuk!!! Adam can't sing. He can only scream!

May 12, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  70. EB Allen

OMG!!! He's doing my fave Aerosmith song "Cryin" but I'm not lovin it -he's messin it up BAD!!! This arrangement with his screechin it may doom him. Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory....WOW!!! Really really BAD.

May 12, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Bob

I guess Adam feels that all he has to do is show up to win. He absolutely sucked on both songs tonight.

May 12, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Daisy

U2 called. They want their song back. Adam ruined it.

May 12, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Bryan

Adam was really, really, really terrible. I simply don't understand why the judges liked his version of U2. It's an amazing song; one of my absolute favorites. He killed it. In a bad way.

May 12, 2009 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  74. MaryK

LInda – Voting numbers are not fair? Oh please – do you really think people are dialing randomly? Oh 3-6-9 go together so I'll dial those. No. Normal people don't.

May 12, 2009 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  75. B

I thought it would be much better than it was.

May 12, 2009 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  76. n

i think all the judges are brainwashed–adam is not that great at all! i boo him.

May 12, 2009 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Slainte

It started off beautifuly and I thought he was going to continue in that mode. I LOVE Adam but he should have sung it as the ballad – the way it was intented it to be. The over the top performance didn't work on that song. Not sure Bono will approve!!

May 12, 2009 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  78. ST

Adam and Danny – they just scream. I couldnt understand a single word that Adam sang. I was waiting for him to start singing... but he just screamed!

May 12, 2009 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Holly

Not my favorite but I still liked it. The judges picked some odd songs for all 3.

May 12, 2009 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Robb

dude hacked up a great u2 song. it really was horrible. i think he is way overated.

May 12, 2009 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  81. CW

Awful !!! The guy screams every time he sings. I hated it.!!!

May 12, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Grace

I just didn't get it. Thought it was weird.

May 12, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Kim

No way. Adam was outstanding.

May 12, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  84. andy

Too much tongue.

May 12, 2009 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Glo

I will admit Adam has a good voice and range. But, I don't get the judges drooling over him time and time again. He did an okay job with One by U2, but it wasn't incredibile. It seems the judges are set on him winning and have lost their objectivity. Adam is good, but not the flawless wonder that the judges think he is.

May 12, 2009 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  86. joan

Adam is the chosen one...unbeatable....great vocals....

May 12, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Lily

Adam sounded HORRIBLE!!!! I can't believe the judges liked that song.... I'll say it again... HORRIBLE!!!!

May 12, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Kim

Please....that sucked BAD! He wrecked one of my most favourite songs of all time. Now I know how it will sound as Muzak.

May 12, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  89. bc

ADAM ROCKED – and it shoudl be Adam and Kris in the finale with Adam winning. BUT also for the past 10 total idols, everyone one of you are good. Congrats to everyone.

May 12, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Mel.

I have to rank the songs the judges picked as Adam, Kris and then Danny. Although I will admit I'm not 100% into the show tonight (trying to watch NCIS at the same time). And what is with the judges?? Hellllooo? Are we in kindergarten? I don't think so. Keep it on the playground, kids. The viewers want to hear constructive comments.

May 12, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Tia

This was not his best by far – I was very surprised that he would run for the finals with such a mild ballad style performance and in the end I just wanted to have it all end. The lyrics are lovely and it is a great song, but it did not even come close to being something right for him.

May 12, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  92. JCW

what adam loves is ruining good songs.

May 12, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  93. jim

Adam's performance was so theatrical. I kind of expected to see 'Cats' start walking around the stage.

May 12, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Judette

Adam rocked it once again. He could have tone down on the theatrical but he's an amazing singer and sang the song well. Adam ROCKS!

Ideally, I'd like to see an Adam/Kris final but I know it's going to be Adam/Danny. Sigh

May 12, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Cy

I agree that Adam was NOT at the top of his game. That is an incredible song and he is incredibly talented. But that was not an incredible performance. I'll watch it again and see if I'm more impressed....

May 12, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Mark

The performance of One by Adam was worse than bad karaoke! My children thought it was horrible and laughable when he screams in every song he sings.

May 12, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  97. jen

The best part of this song is not only the lyrics but the melody...and the version they had adam do did the song no justice. I didn't enjoy it at all. I am tired of the judges kissing his rear end this season.

May 12, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Erin

I loved the song! Is Kara being as annoying as I think she is, or is it just me? Why was she talking back to Simon yet agreeing with him at the same time!

May 12, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Eva

agreed I love Adam but this was not the best . Personally I hurt when I heard his version of ONE

May 12, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Nancy

Not my favorite perfomance by Adam but he at least can stay in tune. Both Kris and Danny were way off.

May 12, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Lis

Round 1 goes to Gokey....

May 12, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Linda

I'm an Adam fan, but I think the voting numbers are a bit skewed in his favor, which isn't quite fair. Really, which is easier to remember?

1 – 4 – 7
    2 – 5 – 8
    3 – 6 – 9

May 12, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Jei

I wish he kept it a bit more quiet, gentle but he did his thing and it worked. Best of the 3 so far.

May 12, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Yuna

What's so amazing about him is the "full" songs you can download and you really hear his talent; unlike "live" short version. When he records, he doesn't scream like he does on stage; probably because A.I. tells him to tone it down. Adam does OWN the show. He will be the next A.I. and I think he knows it too.

May 12, 2009 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Bob

Adam absolutely massacred this great song. I bet Bono is calling wanting his song back.

Also, moderator, you seriously need to get a clue. You didn't know the lyrics before ADAM TOLD YOU TO LISTEN TO THEM? How old are you, 12?

May 12, 2009 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  106. David

I can't believe America would vote for this drama queen – ugh!

May 12, 2009 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |