May 6th, 2009

Top 4: Paula Abdul is forever our girl

Paula sold more than 53 million records? Impressive.

Paula Abdul

Her new song, "I'm Just Here for the Music," is what it is. I'm not sure what modern-day computer program was used to enhance it, but the song was definitely a throwback to the Paula of old.

I will give it up to her, though, because she looks incredible. This chick never seems to age!

She was giving me a little Vanity 6 circa the early 1980s with that bustier, but if you got it, flaunt it like crazy, why doncha?

Filed under: Paula Abdul • television

1. Sandy

Sorry, but I thought Paula should have stayed at the judge's table. She's a nice person, looks great, but her performance was lame . . . very lame. Her dancing left a lot to be desired (I know she has back problems) and that bubble gum music she was singing was sooooooooooo boring.

All of the Idol contestants gave much stronger performances than she.

May 11, 2009 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. me to know

Wow! I can't believe that Paula lip synched- what a poor example to set for the final three! She is great and I love her to death, but shame shame shame on her for not singing! Singing is what the show is about! Shame on you, Paula!

May 9, 2009 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. redheadkb

Well.....I guess I am in the minority. While Paula was prime in her time, I do not feel she did herself any favors with the song/dance routine. I get tired of many of the old timers coming on stage to belt out songs from decades ago and acting like they can still sing and dance. Paula just added herself to the list! American Idol is about the young people sharing their talents. I do not want to see Paula or any of the 60plus performers come out of retirement and try to act like they can still do it! It's time for people to AGE WITH SOME GRACE! I feel like Paula cheapened herself by her dance routine and am disturbed American Idol Producers continue to throw in some risky/trashy like spots. This is a family show!

May 8, 2009 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BLACKEYEDPEA

the woman is in great shape and knows how to dance, I'll give her that. the vocals are what they are, lip synched and computerized, whatever.

but the never-aging thing is something else. Botox and/or fact lift, eye lift, neck lift, teeth whitener, the woman has had it all. she looks awesome of course.

May 7, 2009 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jerad

What a horrible performance, with the completely synthesized vocals and lip-syncing. That was pitiful.

May 7, 2009 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Amy

How can she still look that good? What's her secret?

May 7, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel

Obvious lip sync. A person can't be lifted up, placed nearly upside down, and sing like nothing. I liked how the cameras were jumping around all over the place so you could not notice she wasn't singing. Question: If you have a headset on for "singing", why bother standing at a microphone to sing? If she makes a CD, I will "bootleg" it then throw it in the garbage.

May 7, 2009 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tracy

It was so bad I'm glad I dvr'd it. I thought I was watching a video from 1985, thank god for fast forwarding.

May 7, 2009 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. nelly001

Hi!

I think Paula's performance was awesome. I really enjoyed watching it, and please don't say it was shameful to lipsync! :O She was dancing her ass off, so it would have been difficult to get the vocals just right if she was dancing like that at the same time as singing live. And she is a perfectionist. I'm glad of the lipsync! 🙂 Cause I love to watch her dance her ass off.

May 7, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Preston

I loved Paula Abdul's performance! And she gives Britney Spears and Lady GaGa's hit singles a run for their money with her own new song! The song is so catchy. Yes, it has a lot of technology and sound effects with her voice in the song, but she pulls it off in that song, I like it and it makes it catchy! The dancing was astounding. Few artists can take 10 to 14 years off between albums and singles and can tear it up on stage like she did last night! I'm really excited to hear her new album this summer! I even bought to Forever Your Girl in summer 1989, one year after its 1988 release and played it over and over! Still do along with her Greatest Hits album! I listened to Knocked Out in Hampton County, SC in July 25, 2008 on I-95 and it still rocks! It will feel full circle in 2009 to dance to Paula Abdul again, this time with her new music! Can't wait to play her new songs and play them over and over!

May 7, 2009 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Aaron

So very, very, sad.

Lip Sync = Shame!!!!

May 7, 2009 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mike

Rock on Paula. Does anyone agree that Kara should not return as a judge next year? What was the point of a 4th judge anyway?

May 7, 2009 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. MLD

Of course Paula Abdul was not singing live, but in my opinion she did a great job. The dancing was great and spot on. Nice to see that you don't have to be in you twenties to give a great show.

May 7, 2009 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. LS

Paula, Paula, Paula, don't you think you are a little old for the Britney impersonations, get out of the 80's, babe and show a little dignity!

May 7, 2009 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  15. SB Texas

I enjoyed seeing Paula dancing on stage but would like to have seen her actually singing. It is obvious from some of the dance moves that she was lipsyncing and I feel that takes away from the performance.

Not to dimish her vocal ability, but why do "artists" feel the need to sing
    through a synthisizer. I believe some do it to cover up the tru quality of the singing or to improve on the poor musicality of the song.

Props to Paula, she looks great, but I would really like to hear her true
    voice when singing.

May 7, 2009 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  16. Sted

Paula was good she was lip syncin but she was good u gotta give her her props for doin all that dancin. Whether u kno it or not Beyonce, Cher, Mariah Carey all have some kind of syncin goin on everytime they perform it may not b as obvious but they do. O by the way Paula is nowhere near them but she did well

May 7, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  17. stephen

oh yeah, PLEASE get rid of kara. i can not stand her!!!! she is sooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying.

May 7, 2009 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  18. stephen

paula looks fantastic, but lip syncing? cmon....

May 7, 2009 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  19. paul-a

That was horrible.
    I think she's a cutie, but this was embarassingly uncomfortable.
    I wanted it to be so good, was seriously disappointed.

Total lip synch'd, synthetically modified voice and boring, pointless song, and limp dance moves.

I WISH they'd have let the judges criticize that – they would've trashed it.

May 7, 2009 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  20. Larry "O"

For a Dance club that song was great. Of course she was lip syncing I'm sure but the Dance routine made up for that. Downloaded the song for the graduation dance.

May 7, 2009 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  21. AS

Horrible. If you shut your eyes it was Britney Spears.

May 7, 2009 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  22. ryerordstar

Paula looked great as usual and she can actually still dance pretty good. BUT, why does she get to lip sync? Paula that sucks, you expect to be able to critique these people who get on stage and show their chops and you can do the same thing, shall I say DIVA. Pretty pitiful. I would have loved to have seen Simon judge her performance.

May 7, 2009 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  23. Jen

TCJ in SC i agree with you about the spears thing as well, i was thinking it the whole time i was watching it. but even though you could tell she was lip singing, she's still go it for being what?!?! like 47. if she had fun, good for her!

May 7, 2009 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  24. Pat

Nice moves Paula! Why would AI showcase her this year as a choreogrpher, now a performer? Indulgence! ... Simon and the producers. Hmmm.

May 7, 2009 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  25. Desiree

Paula Abdul? Seriously? Not only was the weak song lip synched but her dancing seemed half hearted. Paual needs to just keep cashing her checks from Idol and hawking her jewelry and forget about "reviving" her career. It isn't happening and last night didn't help matters. This will go the same as her last single.........if you even remember the name. It's over Paula accept it.

May 7, 2009 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  26. RG

What a crock...computor generated voice machine and all of the singing taped...please! she can still dance thou. Did you catch the end of the song when they switched off the tape so she could talk. I guess the excuse of having a bad back so she could do the pain pills won't work anymore after all that dancing and jumping! Paula still looks hot...

May 7, 2009 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  27. Chris M

Too bad the song was lip-synced.

May 7, 2009 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  28. Joe

she was terrible last night, I wish Simon would tell America what he thought of her preformance

May 7, 2009 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  29. ANN

Glad I missed it.

May 7, 2009 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  30. lin

Last year Paula got terrible comments. This year everyone loves her. The TV viewers are very, very fickle and not loyal at all. They love you, then they hate you. Paula is a good soul and the contestants always say they love her. I think she's using antidepressants and she's got it together again. Bravo Paula.

May 7, 2009 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  31. Galoux

Paula has always been more a dancer than a singer. I couldn't care less that she was lip synching. She;s slowed down a bit on her moves–not as sharp, not as much extension, etc.–but she can still entertain, and her body looks fabulous. She's almost exactly nine years to the day younger than I, and not only am I envious now, I'd have been envious nine years ago too!

May 7, 2009 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  32. Ricky Morgan

Paula sang a Kylie Minogue song tonight. Kylie does it better!

May 7, 2009 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  33. Jean

Paula is an awesome, wonderful, and professional performer with a heart as big as Texas. How anyone can dislike her is a mystery to me!
    Loved your performance, Paula, and I love you. If you should leave Idol, this fan will leave, too!!

May 7, 2009 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  34. eileen gensel

Give me a break I though Paula was good. You guys act like she is 90. She is only 46 or 47 not dead. Someone said she did good for her age. She is not old. Look at Tina Turner and she is way older and still going come on...

May 6, 2009 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  35. kevinr

above comment states -> This is a singing competition and a singing show; there should be no lip syncing by anyone

I don't think she was competing for anything. it was entertainment, and I think she did great. so what if it was lip synched, happens all the time. I thought the dancing was great, was entertainment, big deal

May 6, 2009 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Mike

Not crazy about the lip sync. But Paula is a great dance, and she it HOT! Loving the cleavage she is flaunting this year! And what a great face and smile!

May 6, 2009 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. KYGirl

I have to admit Paula looked fabulous tonight and I was surprised to see that she can still work the dance floor! Good for her! I agree with the references to Brittney Spears. If I didn't know better, I would have sworn that was Brittney singing! I can only hope to look that good at her age! I thought the song was catchy though – I may download it.

May 6, 2009 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Smithson

This is a singing competition and a singing show; there should be no lip syncing by anyone. That's the beauty of the show, we used to know that whoever was performing was actually doing it live on the the stage. I like Paula but the producers shouldn't allow this by her or anyone.

May 6, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Forever a Fan

Paula was awesome, I was so happy to finally see her get out there and strut herself. I guess it is true what they say, "if ya got it, ya got it"
    Way to go Paula, you will always be our girl!

May 6, 2009 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Sam

I enjoyed Paula's performance. I thought it was good and she looked good.

May 6, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Snowball

Gadzooks, give us a break with the lip-sync comments. They all do it!

Paula was awesome. What a princess, and she showed once again why she's been able to sustain a career for nearly thirty years. She's always in high demand as a choreographer.

I'm glad Idol chose to give us a chance to see the dynamic and multi-talented Paula Abdul perform.

May 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jen

Go Paula! You are the best choreographer and talented dancers ever. I think you're amazing and a great entertainer.

May 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Dan from Iowa

Paula Abdul is an incredible performer and really delivered tonight. Of course she lip-synched! It's a very common thing on TV, especially when doing a lot of movement and dancing. I enjoyed every minute of her performance!!!

May 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Bandzii

Terrible lip synching and looks like she was proud of it. wow. God bless her.

May 6, 2009 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Tina

Who cares if she sang live or not, which would be almost impossible with the dance routine. But my gosh, a woman the same age as I am being able to move like that, way to go Lady! Besides she probably choreographed it too and wrote it as well!!!

May 6, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  46. kelly

Paula was awesome. she definately reminded me why i loved her in the 1980s. good for her, being sexy and talented. i love her dancing too. awesome~

May 6, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Stephanie Smythe

Paula was really bad. Forget about the lip-synching, which was expected, but her dancing was bad too. She looked like Britney the night she bombed at the awards show last year (Grammy's?) Very very embarassing and disappointing.

May 6, 2009 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  48. CW

Even though the performance looked like it was lip synced. The dancing was great. I am one of those people who did not have a very good opinion about Paula. This changes all of that. Paula you are a great artist.

May 6, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Wayne's Music Journey

Paula Abdul – I believe has grace , style and drank from the fountain of youth. She is a talented judge on American Idol. She really feels a deep routed connection with the contestants and she offers great advise most of the time, and she is not only supportive but she seems dress and be in coordinating in spirit and mind with the contests journeys. Music wise I never doubt Paula Abdul. She still has got it. She never lost it.

Bless You Paula.. It's always a pleasure watching a good heart, cool Paula on American Idol.

Wayne

May 6, 2009 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  50. B

The idol kids lip-synched one of their group numbers a week or two ago. I thought that was worse than Paula doing it.

I wish Fox wouldn't be so dang greedy and would just make this a 30 minute results show.

May 6, 2009 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Tiffany

ridiculous, who judges other people really singing and then has the nerve to get up onstage and be a 50 year old britney spears wanna be lip synching. ugh, what a nightmare.

May 6, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Heather

Having said that I would much rather watch someone play an instrument, stand in one spot, and sing their heart out... I was just sayin'.

May 6, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Matthew Rettenmund

"It's a singing competition" and then she does THAT on it? Embarrassing.

May 6, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Heather

If you are disappointed by lip synching then you are disappointed often. Anyone who does such an intense dance routine during their performance is either going to lip synch or sound shaky, "off," and rather bad like Gwen Stefani.

May 6, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  55. lori

yes! The brittney spears reference was exactly what I was thinking but couldn't articulate!

May 6, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Yuna

I don't care if she lip sync her song. She was fabulous on stage. She is a true performer.

May 6, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Robert

Paula almost makes the show impossible to watch.

May 6, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  58. lori

she seemed a little awkward but who am I to say?

May 6, 2009 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Robert

Danny is overrated. It will be a shame if Adam doesn't win. He has been far and away the best from the start.

May 6, 2009 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Givemejustasmallbreak

Well, she was being thrown all over the stage....see Gwen Stefani for the reasons why lip synching is sometimes better. I had to hit the mute button, all she was doing was gasping for air.

May 6, 2009 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Crazy Viewers

The song was obviously tech enhanced but it was still catchy.. she's earned her way, she looked amazing and if she enjoyed herself then who cares.. good for her.

May 6, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  62. carol

paula was super good, enjoyed it very much.

May 6, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  63. KK

Kara needs to go – she is sooooooooooo annoying and she wastes too much time

May 6, 2009 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  64. philip

Paula was not singing live it was recorded. I think that's a shame when to final four sing live.

May 6, 2009 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  65. pfunkatl2

I EXPECTED to LAUGH at Paula's song...but, GUESS WHAT? I thought it was GREAT! Old-school dance music that I LOVE! My friend agreed too!

May 6, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Cat

Simon and Paula should "hook up." Aren't they both single? Nothing like a little fireworks to spice up a relationship. Paula is HOT and Simon is adorable in a cranky sort of way.

May 6, 2009 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  67. TCJ in SC

I was not impressed. Thought I was watching Britney Spears 30 years from now.

May 6, 2009 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  68. bob S

Her peformance on Idol tonight was a disaster! lip sunc on the way, its pretty bad that her performance on a live stage is probably the only lip sunc song sang in the 8 years Idol has been on the air.

May 6, 2009 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Mary Donaldson

Paula was so incredible in her heyday 25 years ago. I'm not so sure I needed to see her perform in this incarnation, but she does look spectacular for her age.

May 6, 2009 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  70. eric

obviously she lip synched the song. I didnt like it

May 6, 2009 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Jack in TampaBay

She never ages and is still THE BEST! Whatta phenomenal woman!

May 6, 2009 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  72. RJ

So obviously lip sync'd. She should be embarrassed.

May 6, 2009 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |