May 6th, 2009

Top 4: Backstage drama and first of the final three

They make the contestants go backstage.

I had totally forgotten about the hometown visits for the top three. It was great to see Elliot Yamin's mom in the flashback, may she rest in peace.

The finalists are going to be announced in random order, so we don't get to hear who was the lowest? Boo!!!

Ahh, the tease with the recap of everyone's performances last night.

And the first one sent to safety is Kris!! Holy smokes!!! Even he can't believe it!!

Filed under: television

1. Laurel

Kris your good but not great. You should have gone, home, Allison and Adam were the only ones that showed talent I completely enjoyed thier performances. I even made my husband watch and he hates idol and loves music. Adam can sing anything and allison can too. They proved it tues night

May 8, 2009 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mark

Kris has the purest tone of all of them. Newsflash- LOUD does not equal GOOD! Danny Gokey just gave the worst performance of Idol history this week and all you people can do is bash Kris because he doesn't scream and shout his way through a song. Don't do what the producers want you to do! Send Danny home! He doesn't deserve to be where he is.

May 7, 2009 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BLACKEYEDPEA

Allison is far more talented than Gokey, or Kris.
    She will be a big star and sell a ton of CDs.

May 7, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. shayla

I'm from LA, like Adam. I want to go to his hometown event. When is it?

May 7, 2009 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. grammi

Idol is getting boring...I tune in the last 15 minutes and dump the rest of the time as a waste.

May 7, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. taylor

american idol is a competition as a WHOLE, not just individual nights. yes, danny did have an off note on tuesday, but it was ONE. yes, allison did very well this week, but she has been in the bottom three numerous times, and has had a few off nights. you can't just say danny needs to be sent home because of one bad night. he's not a rock singer, he didn't shine. stop whining, she'll make it big anyway. look at chris daughtry, he didn't win, and he's more famous than almost all of the WINNERS of american idol.

May 7, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Andrea

Chris is not even in the same league as Allison and Adam. Neither is Danny for that matter. I'm not watching the rest of the season. I will DVR and only watch Adam's performances fast forwarding through the rest. What a let down.

May 7, 2009 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Andrea

I agree with Ben. Most of the votes came from females for the guys. Allison deserved to go toe to toe with Adam. Having either one of them as the winner would have been great. Sad to see her go. I'm sure she will have a great career though. That young girl can sang her azz off!

May 7, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. hippiechick

Paula WAS lip synching. I've been to the show, most of the musical numbers are taped just before the show airs live. Without all the soundboard magic she couldn't sing her way out of a wet paper bag. Remember her first album, when it was revealed that someone else sings behind her to make her sound better? If the judges are not sitting there and shown on camera, it's not "live". If there's a band involved, it's taped because it takes them forever to get it all set up and moved off the stage. A couple of weeks ago they had the stand-ins sitting in the judges chairs during a musical number. You can tell because the black guy who sits in for Randy doesn't have the same big head he does. They are always there for pre-taped stuff. Don't be surprised if Adam is sent packing next week. And no, I'm not crazy, just figuring that mainstream America will pick the two clean-cut boys for the finals.

May 7, 2009 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bernardo

If Kris has any decency or respect for himself he should volunteraly leave the show,he'a such a weak performer.Few times he got vocally lucky.With the votes of the moronic young girls(maybe boys??)he's in the final three and judging by this who knows??maybe he"ll win!!!!!!

May 7, 2009 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ben

American Idol is going to get what they wanted, Adam and Danny in the final. This show is nothing more than a popularity contest. Of course Allison was going, most of the votes probably come from teenage girls, of course they are gonna vote for the guys.

May 7, 2009 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  12. AS

Kris will win due to the army of teen girls who have a thing for twisted-mouths

May 7, 2009 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dee Plumley

Remember Allison is only17 but she is great. She has many years and will go far.

I think Adam will win. I do like Kris and Danny but Adam will win.

Daughtry has done so well.

May 7, 2009 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. Loni

I so thought it would come down to Adam and Allison, wow, what a shocker! I'm disappointed................

May 7, 2009 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. Scout

Kris is mediocrity, Danny would make a great gospel singer (or church choir) and Adam can perform. He is the ultimate entertainer. He has the "it" factor recording studios look for. The edge. I'm certain that Fox will capitalize on his and Allison's chemistry this summer as those two can rock. Allison fans, vote for Adam.

May 7, 2009 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  16. KD in Houston

I literally jumped up and down screaming and yelling I was so happy when they called Kris's name. My U-Verse Voice statement shows that I called in like 86 times! I'll have to check my cellphone bill to see how many times I called in from there!

May 7, 2009 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  17. chriskoh

Kris is so clearly the weakest of the final four. AI is proving itself to be a popularity contest instead of a singing contest. So sad fo Alison.

May 7, 2009 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  18. lesa

sorry sheri you must not here alot of talent kris was horrible and he is so safe and boring. I think girls need to look past his looks try listening without looking

May 7, 2009 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  19. MB

Where are people's heads nowadays? In a jar by the door? Filled with moo juice and alabama ho ho hew haw?

May 7, 2009 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  20. Michele

Adam Lambert is untouchable. Who cares about who wins American Idol – Adam is already a superstar, never seen an entertainer like him before.

May 7, 2009 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  21. Carlos

The tweens and teeny boppers strike again. AGH

May 7, 2009 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  22. Sherri

On Tuesday night, I thought Kris performed the best out of the four. I thought he did quite a job considering rock is not necessarily his niche. Sorry, but as much as I like to hear Adam perform, Tuesday night he just screamed, and that's about it. I couldn't understand half the words of what was coming from Allison's mouth, and Danny again was just Danny. So yeah, I'm real glad Kris is still standing.

May 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  23. carroll

what a wonderful time for kris who deserves only the best.
    keep up the good work kris , you may not win over the rocker but in my book you are a number 1 idol.

May 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Samantha

HAHA! I'm so happy Kris was safe. In your face, Simon, who said it was like having ice for lunch. Obviously, enough people disagreed to put him into the top 3. I voted for the 2 hrs and it paid off. I was hoping Danny would go home. Very sad for allison 😦

May 6, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. kelly

i cant believe danny or kris has made it this far, crazy crazy

May 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  26. melissa Drummond

i knew it was going to come down to danny and adam. Love kris and i think allison is talented but from the top 12 day i knew it would be adam and danny. I wont be shocked f it goes that way and adam wins. Danny is great and he would be my pic but he isnt as much of a showman. He will still make a record.

May 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Cowbelle

Even though I have to cybermicvoice thing, Paula's performance surprised me. She was an entertaining pop diva. My 72 year old Mom thought she was lip synching.

Gwen Stefani was the powerhouse that she has always been and will always be.

Chris Daughtry is actually a great idea considering he was eliminated before the final three. And look how he has overcome the AI defeat. His number has given me a goosebump or two and reminds me how talented he is, as well as what a renegade he was two seasons ago.

Shocked that Kris is picked over Allison, and I'm a big cry baby listening to her reprise right now. She is someone we'll see again, and I promise I'll support any work she releases in the future. I'm betting her cool factor has already increased exponentially for her senior year of high school.

May 6, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  28. 76Stinger

I think I am done watching AI. Allison out and Gokey still in? After the performances last night, you've got to be kidding me.

May 6, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Tina

I am totally bummed!

May 6, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  30. david

argh, she was SO much better then Danny. Send Danny home.

May 6, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Bob

America got this dead wrong! Kris, don't get too comfortable cause you're going home next week!

May 6, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Givemejustasmallbreak

No it doesn't mean Kris scored highest. Ryan said multiple times it was in no particular order.

May 6, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Chris

Allison should NOT be going home...

May 6, 2009 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  34. lori

good grief, can't believe those two guys beat out allison. Adam and allison were the only real talent. how dissapointing.

May 6, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Nikilea

Me either. I guess I don't give the voters enough credit. I pushed re-dial for Kris a bunch!!!

May 6, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  36. someone

I new he would make it he may not win it but ill tell you what he will be more successful then anyone of them... i cant wait for him to come home.... GO KRIS!!!!!!

May 6, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Will

bad news for Allison...

May 6, 2009 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Bonnie

I am so nervous..At this point I really do like them all. I think this is a really hard choice and that this is the best top four yet.

May 6, 2009 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  39. megz

I've got a really bad feeling that it might be Allison going home... I really hope I'm wrong

May 6, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. AI Watcher

The first 35 minutes of the show was "all filler and no hint of a thriller". Little focus on the Idol contestants in the first half... just a half hour of diversions and waiting.

May 6, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Judette

Yeah Kris, neither can I. I guess we'll be saying goodbye to Allison unless there's another Daughtry surprise and Adam is sent home.

May 6, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Givemejustasmallbreak

OK, this has nothing to do with Kris, but I laughed out loud at Daughtry talking about he wanted to be part of a band, not a solo performer, while they show the album with EVERYONE in the band blurred out but Daughtry. GOLD.

May 6, 2009 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  43. B

Whoa.......I hope this doesn't mean rocker chick is in trouble.

May 6, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  44. megz

I think Kris is great... but.... WHAT?! Does this mean that he scored higher than Adam or Allison???

May 6, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Judy

Kris is safe ! Color me shocked. Hey, did anyone catch a glimpse of Dannys face which suddenly fell about 2 feet. He's worried.

May 6, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Yuna

I am shocked!!! I can't believe Kris is safe; But then again, I wouldn't be too surprised if Danny goes home tonight. Last night's performance was a joke and I wasn't laughing.

May 6, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Bob

Geez, this probably means Allison is gone. Dammit!

May 6, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |