May 5th, 2009

Miss California Nude Photo Flap!

Should Miss California lose her crown? First there was the gay marriage controversy, now naked pictures of Carrie Prejean have landed on the internet.

Showbiz Tonight received this statement directly from Carrie Prejean;

“On April 19, I chose to answer a question during the 2009 Miss USA pageant in an honest and personal manner that expressed my views of the long-established definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman. That answer, and my commitment to stand by my beliefs, has since resulted in attacks on me and my integrity as a woman. We live in a great country; a nation that was built on freedom of speech and freedom of religion. Yet my comments defending traditional marriage have led to intimidation tactics that seek to undermine my reputation and somehow silence me and my beliefs, as if opinion is only a one-way street.

“I am a Christian, and I am a model. Models pose for pictures, including lingerie and swimwear photos. Recently, photos taken of me as a teenager have been released surreptitiously to a tabloid Web site that openly mocks me for my Christian faith. I am not perfect, and I will never claim to be. But these attacks on me and others who speak in defense of traditional marriage are intolerant and offensive. While we may not agree on every issue, we should show respect for others’ opinions and not try to silence them through vicious and mean-spirited attacks.

“With that in mind, I will continue to support and defend marriage as the honorable institution it is. I will continue to stand with the overwhelming majority of the American people and the voters of my home state of California. If this whole experience has taught me anything, it is our precious right to speak freely, and how we as Americans can never allow anyone or any group to intimidate or threaten us to keep silent."

Tune into Showbiz Tonight on HLN at 11p ET & PT!

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. wbF6

148484 271435I believe other website owners should take this site as an example , very clean and wonderful user genial style . 382809

October 9, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jim

The problem is most people believe in the freedom of speech as long as the person is saying what they want to hear.

May 14, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bvitrano

Wow! So many people that claim to be Christian are the first to judge. No Christian is perfect and she never said she was. The fact is that Gay people are not tolerant of religions traditions. This is a free country and the last time I check, you are free to practice your own religion. It is sad that gay people are not tolerate. Gay people need to accept the fact that our country was founded with Freedom in mind. They are free to be openly gay and Christians are free not to accept it. I don't think we have any real Christians in this world any longer. They are quickly becoming a minority without a voice. How odd, our freedom of religion has turned against us.

May 13, 2009 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Scott

Another thing .......

Why is she not able to offer her personal opinion about gay marriage? Why are only gay people allowed to be "politically correct" when they offer their opinions?

I'm suprised more people have not criticised Perez Hilton for asking a loaded, self serving question and then going on a rant when he/she/it didn't get the answer he/she/it wanted to hear.

May 13, 2009 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Scott

GIVE IT A REST PEOPLE !!!!

Apparently this lady is a religous person who is not embarrased about her body. Tell me which passage in the bible forbids or condemns a woman showing her breasts. I also don't see this as a morality issue. If you do, you are questioning the morality of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of European and Australian women who sunbath topless on public beaches around the world.

Remember glass houses and "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"?

Give this lady a break and get on with your own lives.

May 13, 2009 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. John

You have already came on the stage on bikini, you already showed half naked to the world, you know what is modeling world, nudity and sex is as common as having your meal, so why are you so worried about some photographer took the pic of your breast...I mean does it matter... matter of fact it is good for you, you become more popular...one day you will have sex tape like Paris Hilton and Kim. I mean that's what you want right,..that is your culture.

May 13, 2009 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. Heavenly

Will said, "I am sympathetic to gays not having legal joinings like men and women but geez this argument is really about semantics the word “marriage” why dont we just use a different word for it when it isnt a man and a woman and let the Gays have the same legal benefits."

Hmm seem like we did something like that in the past....remember when Blacks had to drink out of different water fountains, use different bathrooms, go to different schools, and live in different neighborhoods than whites. They basically had the same thing but of course it just couldn't be in the same place or area with whites.

But of course it's all about semantics.

May 12, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Curtis

Miss California was asked a question about her beliefs in the Miss USA contest. She answered honestly, frankly, and bravely. All this BS about her using her crown to oppose gay marriage is unfathomable to me. She did not request that question, and her personal beliefs should not weigh so heavily against her on such a polarized and difficult question.

For the record, I do not care how gay people live their lives. I deeply respect their rights to live together and support equal rights for legal unions. However, the word marriage denotes a religious right that has been traditionally granted to only heterosexual couples. I understand gay people wanting to have a legal union and equal rights, but I do not understand the insistence to call it marriage, which is offensive to religious groups.

May 8, 2009 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. Fat Boy Fitness Zone

I'm fascinated by the furor all this has caused. By most accounts because Miss Ca. articulated her position that she is opposed to gay marriage she is a bigot and needs to be run out of the country on a rail. I love when people that scream for tolerance show their intolerance. News flash....it doesn't take a whole lot of character to be tolerant of people that agree with you. This is all just "political" bologna. These same people that are so up in arms over Carrie didn't bat an eye lash when Barack Obama articulated the exact same position. Does that make him a bigot? Inconsistency is apparently not just a problem for Christians.

May 8, 2009 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  10. Timbo

Let's tear her down like we do everyone else!

May 7, 2009 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Todd

Well once again the Fascist in media surface, and what a surprise it is from a media source that forgotten that Freedom of Speech allowed it to grow to media source that was once watched across the globe. However just by your question, which was purely stated with the sole purpose of doing harm to a girl that answered a question with honesty and integrity, which are terms that CNN knew 20 years ago.

Due to CNN difficulty with definitions, let me try to help... First, "Nude" is not represented by a model posing with her back to a camera wearing panties, it is to be without clothing, and is not immoral in any way. After all we are all nude from time to time, at least those of us that wash.... Second, why are you attacking a this honest girl and not attacking Perez for being a whinny man that just wants his sexuality on everyone's kitchen tables, if he is truly that needy, then you would better serve the public by getting him a date. In the end, all these events show that Carrie has both inner and outer beauty and should continue to display both anyway she sees fit (that is unless our media outlets are trying to crush our freedom of expression!?). As for Perez, I hope you find someone (no gender doesn't matter!) to love, and then the next time you ask a question and get an answer you dislike, you will at least have love in your heart, & might at least respect the person!

May 7, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. pablo

Hilton screwed up when he ask the question and now he is showing his stupidity. The gay community is fighting back to gain ground they deeply lost. They are playing dirty as they always have in order to justify their life style.

Carrie Prejean has the Lord on her side. That is all she needs. ( Yes, the Lord loves all gays too but it is still a sin!)

May 7, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cinci

Another self righteous – better than thou – hypocrite! A shining example for us all.

May 7, 2009 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. david m

Go GIRL. I think you are totally right about the marriage issue. This country is getting way out of line with this politically correct stuff !!

Not wanting to affend anyone but white WORKING, Tax PAYING Americans. we are so the minority now.

Keep on going with this. I do not want my son or daughter thinking that being GAY is OK and GAY MARRIAGE is way out of line with the christian people that started this great country.

What is NEXT ? Gay Sex education. on how to do it !

You shold also go after the.. Don't pay taxes then you should not have the right to vote on how those taxes are spent. Stupid, lazy people want everything for NOTHING.

I am a darwinist also. the strong survive. Its a Dog eat Dog world and they are wearing Bilk Bone underwear that we have paid for.

That hilton guy shoudl not even be a judge on gorgous women because he is always looking at MEN.

Yeh right ;^)

May 7, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Michael

I think Carrie Prejean made mistakes with her modeling but not with her stance on gay marriage! I'll bet these pictures wouldn't have surfaced or be a concern if she bowed to the gay agenda.

May 7, 2009 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  16. NapalmSanctuary

some of you guys got real chip on your shoulder,maybe yall should stop drinking your venom long enough to realize how bigoted you sound for a change,you act as if she beat you with a bat for just giving her honest opinion(respectfully as she did)

May 6, 2009 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Galoux

Two issues her. #1. Should she lose her crown? I have seen neither the photos nor the rules, but if the photos violate the rules–or rather, if her silence about them did–then the pageant is well within its rights to strip her of her title (padon the pun). #2. Is she being attacked over this because of her anti-gay-marriage remarks? Yeah, probably. And you can't have it both ways. You cannot hold yourself up as some defender of traditional morality and then not expect to get slammed when there are nekkid pics out of there of yourself, regardless of whether or not they were taken in furtherance of good ol' American-as-apple-pie capitalism.

Now, while I have long been a gay-rights activist (oh, and a Christian too, I might add), actually my biggest problem with Ms. Prejean and her freedom of speech is her lack of understanding that the English language is used to express thought. For example: "Marriage is good. There is something special about unions of husband and wives. Unless we bring men and women together, children will not have mothers and fathers." Rather makes one long for the eloquence of Miss Teen South Carolina, doesn't it?

May 6, 2009 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  18. Delores Boone

The rules state one must disclose photos of this nature when they apply to join the contest of Miss USA. She lied. Said no. She should be stripped of the crown for lying. Life needs order or there is chaos. To maintain order there needs to be rules. When the majority believes the rules in place are unreasonable, the majority needs to vote for change.
    It is not wise to change the rules after the breech.

May 6, 2009 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  19. Danny

This is a Perez Hilton inspired comment page. Who cares if she took a few photos! It is the gotcha media at work again.

May 6, 2009 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  20. MaryAnne Johnson

Oh my Gosh, Are you all this ignorant and fearful? Get off her back! Obama himself is against gay marriage! Most of America is for that matter. She has done nothing wrong. And her photos???Please!!!! They are less racy than Miley!!!! Get a grip.
    A few very bitter bitter people want to hurt this girl..Get off her back!
    FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!!!!

May 6, 2009 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  21. Jim

B. Where is the discrimination? Any man can marry any woman. No man can marry another man. I ask again, where is the discrimination?

Where draw the line, are we discriminating against polygamists? Are we discriminating against incestuous couples? What about a man that loves sheep?

May 6, 2009 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  22. Randomarrow

As a nudist I have no problem with miss california posing topless, as a believer in equal rights for all I oppose her desire to deny marriage benefits to all Americans. I believe she should lose her "Miss California" title because the so called Pagent that named her was a sham. Miss California officials selected her and paid for her obviously plastic boob job months before the "contest" began. All the naturally endowed California women who paid money and spent countless hours in a futile event to defeat the pre-selected Barby-Doll winner should join in a class action suit to expose these supposed "Beauty Contests" for the publicity driven shams that they are.

May 6, 2009 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  23. Allie B

I'm of the mind that all people have a right to be happy – and if "happy" means marriage, then traditional or same sex marriage is okay with me. That said, I don't have an issue with Miss California articulating her position (pro traditional marriage) during the pageant or afterward. What I do have a problem with is her presumption that her position (traditional marriage) cost her the "crown." Personally, I think her arrogance, sense of entitlement, and attitude likely impacted the final result. Moreover, she didn't really articulate her position very well – which no doubt impacted the score. She was judged by twelve people, not one, and who knows how all those folks felt about the issue. Isn't it presumptuous of her to assume that all the judges support gay marriage? She's in the pageant business and she should have been better prepared. Miss North Caroline won because she scored higher in the swimsuit and evening gown categories (these scores were shown on the screen) and she most likely received better scores in the interview because she was better prepared. It's time for Miss California to move on.

May 6, 2009 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  24. john

hell yes! she should loose her crown. She is so high and mighty, with her lofty religious beliefs. Honey, you can not have it both ways. In the bible I have read, a sin is a sin. Not sure if God would approve of you showing off your body for the world to see at 17. It's not my place to tell her or anyone else what to do. It's not her place to either. Shut your mouth and stand there and look pretty.

May 6, 2009 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  25. Remington

In response to "B". If expressing an opinion against gay marriage is bigotry then by "B's"logic expressing an opinion against polygamy or brother-sister marriages is discrimination as well.

If we listen to B, EVERYONE deserves civil rights including the man who wants to have a harem of 20 wives and the man that wants to marry his sister, or daughter, or son.

Way to go B!

May 6, 2009 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  26. Michael

Have you read her comments? One statement reads as if Christians are afraid there will be no more straight couples to make babies if gay couples get married. Whoa horsie!

Here's the beat: Women vote, black people are free, and gay marriage is an issue. I personally enjoy watching history unfold. Thanks Miss California! (kind of.)

May 5, 2009 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Larry Majorca

I believe the marriage the gay and lesbian community is looking for is, by nature, a civil contract, and not a religious one. Religious contracts are going to be determined by each of the religions themselves, and the Episcopalians are having a difficult enough time as it is. Freed of the judgemental baggage of sexual intimacy and, perhaps, child rearing, it would be the equivalent of designating a friend with the same rights of survivorship and partnership.

Three things the LGBT community fails or refusesl to understand: (1) it is precisely because many believe agreement to same sex marriage is tantamount to endorsement of practices contrary to deeply held spiritual beliefs that they are unable to, in good faith, support same sex marriage; (2) the approval of same sex marriarge as a civil contract may force people and institutions to act against their principles (Catholic priest forced to officiate?) and; (3) such good faith beliefs do NOT make people bigots.

May 5, 2009 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Will

I am sympathetic to gays not having legal joinings like men and women but geez this argument is really about semantics the word "marriage" why dont we just use a different word for it when it isnt a man and a woman and let the Gays have the same legal benefits. I can't believe they are attacking this LOVELY, YOUNG, women for standing up for her beliefs, and in a polite way. This really needs to be pursued as an issue of semantics and lets drop the use of the word marriage as the majority of people, even in California dont support using that word!

May 5, 2009 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  29. dootsie leininger

she should not lose HER CROWN?? she never won a crown..she's got fake plastic bags implanted under her chest wall, faux blonde hair, faux tan...if that's a traditional value..you can have it..phony bigot who represents christian morality??? in the nude?? you can have that too.

May 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  30. B

Substitute "gay" with black or any other race in Bill's sentence above and EVERYONE would agree that it was discrimination. Those who supported slavery and bigotry could support that with the Bible too.

EVERYONE deserves civil rights- green, yellow, black, white, gay or straight.

May 5, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  31. bill belichech

Why doesn't a person have the right to be opposed to gay marriage? I personally do not care about the legal implications of gay partnerships but I am opposed to it from a moral and religious standpoint as I believe she is.

May 5, 2009 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Saul Olinski

No, she should not lose her crown. A former President of the United States did not lose his office after admitting to a bj in the oval office, yet a few topless photos of a then 17 year old girl cause an uproar. Could it possibly be because of her views? Or her Christianity?

Conservatives, Republicans and Christians can do no right, liberals, Democrats and Obama supporters can do no wrong. That is why I do not watch CNN!

May 5, 2009 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  33. doug

Right on, Carrie!

May 5, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Summer

YAY MISS CALIFORNIA!! You are right. This is not a communist country, freedom of speech exists in America. People talk about tolerance for other people's opinion. Apparently, it is ok not to be tolerant towards Christians. They don't have a right to an opinion.

May 5, 2009 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Janice Urbsaitis

Miss California did not win the title of Miss America because she was not the best candidate. Plain and simple. In her determination to keep her face before the media, she has succeeded beyond her wildest dreams when nude photos she posed for surfaced. She should simmer down before she causes herself more damage.

May 5, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Pete

Sorry, chickadee, but when you use your own sense of ultra-morality as a justification for bigotry, you don't get to say "I'm not perfect" when evidence surfaces that maybe you aren't the clean Christian you say you are.

By the way, if you're so gosh darn concerned about "traditional" marriage, then why haven't you spoken out on no-fault divorce laws.

May 5, 2009 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |