May 4th, 2009

Madonna's Shocking Adoption Drama!

We all know that Madonna doesn't back down from a fight, but it seems the hits keep coming in her quest to adopt 3-year-old Mercy James.

Monday, Madonna took her battle to the highest court in Malawi, the same time a man claiming to be the girl's father emerged claiming he wants to raise the girl.

Madonna's rep, Liz Rosenberg, sent me this email;

"I do not know for a fact that he is the biological father of Mercy. What I know is that she was not visited for the three years she was in the orphanage by anyone claiming to be a parent. And I know that he wasn't at court or represented regarding the appeal for the adoption. It is in the hands of the court and I hope that they will rule based on what is in the best interests of this child."

Doesn't look like Madonna is backing down anytime soon!

You can find out more about Madonna's adoption battle on Showbiz Tonight, 11p ET and PT.

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Steve

Kathy, I just saw your picture in the dictionary under the word "Freak". You should reconsider your use of word!

May 5, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bakarr

Why isn't Madona adopting a child from here? Trust me, there are plenty of kids she could adopt from the United States. I think, it could all be about popularity, she wants the attention.

May 5, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. belinda

hang in there Madonna....I, too....adopted from overseas...4 differeent times...and I, too...went to the court of appeals on one adoption and won...so....hopefully the courts will look at what is in the best interest of this child!

May 5, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Barbara

I don't understand how a celebrity can just walk into an orphanage and single out one child – like a sovenier. If they want to do something, then build a DECENT place for these children to live and grow up. I wouldn't have the heart to pluck one child out of these places knowing hundreds are left behind with nothing.

May 5, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. THINK ABOUT THE CHILD

Whethere you are a fan of madonna or not, this child will have a MUCH better live being adopted by her and the providings she can give this child. People have long had a love/hate with madonna based on her work as an artist however NO ONE can say she has not done a GREAT JOB in raising her kids. Think about it – there have been ZERO stories about her role as a mother. She is a fine mother and has done an excellent job in keeping her children sane and under control. (not like Britney or some of the other unfit mothers out there). When Madonna first got pregnant all the trash talkers mad comments that she would not be a good mother. giving their useless opinions when really – she has done a GREAT JOB. thank you Madonna for being a MOTHER first and foremost.

May 5, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dannette Horton

I am not a big fan of Madonna at all...but I am definately rooting for her and the child on this one. She is a fighter..I will give Madonna credit for that, but she chooses her battles and this is a battle worth choosing.
    Gah..I can't believe I would ever say this but....
    Go Madonna!

May 5, 2009 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nick in Vegas

This guy wants a piece of the action. Madonna is entitled to special treatment, she's invested millions of dollars and caused this little speck of a country to be the focus of international attention, the people in Malawi should try to work with her.

The world would have never know of this girl, Mercy. Now some poor bastards would try and have us believe Madonna is a bad person because she is trying to save her and offer her a splendid upbringing.

GET REAL.

May 5, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. CJ

Unlike Angelina, Madonna is trying to take short-cuts through the red tape that is always involved in any adoption. It seems like she thinks she's intitled to get what she wants when she wants just 'cause she's famous. Angelina, from what I can tell, has always had all of her homestudies and record checks done long before she has applied to adopt and is in whatever country for the amount of time stated by said country. With her first one, Madonna was there, what, a whole weekend before she took David to England? I'm pretty sure that in Malawi it is required that adoptive parents stay in the country for at least a month.
    And if her motive is to "save" a child from poverty, that is so not the right motive. A child should be adopted and brought into a family because it is so desperately wanted, not because someone wants to be looked at as a savior.

May 5, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bonnie

About the alleged father......
    In previous articles, it stated that the father was older than the mother. The mother died very shortly after childbirth and the father had been told the baby died as well. Why would he visit the orphanage if all he knew was his child had died???

May 5, 2009 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tony voshmgir

i don,t know who this kathy lady is calling a FREAK!! madonna is doing a good thing by wanting to save a child from poverty and death and gove that child a life full of love and happiness. is that wrong?

May 5, 2009 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. geri dallas

This so-called father came out of the woodwork because he thinks there is money to be made. Where was he when Mercy was in orphanage for three years?

May 5, 2009 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. wendy

i dont understand why people are giving madonna such a hard time about adopting when Angelina has this hole united nations of kids it seems like every time you turn around shes got a new kid from some part of the world madonna could give this child a hell of a good life vs living in the squalor of a slum seems like a no brainer to me giving the family money yes thats an option but i think that this little girl would have a shot at a great life if they would just let her be adopted

May 5, 2009 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  13. kathy

save the kid from being raised by that freak

May 5, 2009 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |