April 30th, 2009

Kirstie Alley Apologizes for Weight Gain

The last time Kirstie Alley appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show she was strutting her stuff in a bikini, showing off her weight loss.

Kirstie Alley

The actress and former Jenny Craig spokesperson appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show Thursday, embarrassed and apologetic that she gained back the 75 pounds she lost. Alley admitted that without the folks from Jenny Craig to keep her in line, her motivation flew out the window. Video: Watch Alley on Oprah and reaction.

A spokesperson for Jenny Craig told Showbiz Tonight:

“Jenny Craig maintains a friendly relationship with Kirstie and we are proud of her accomplishments while she was on our program. Kirstie successfully lost 75 lbs and maintained that weight loss throughout our three year relationship, which came to an end in December 2007. We remain supportive of Kirstie, wish her nothing but the best and we would welcome her back at any time as a returning client.”

Despite her mock jealousy of current Jenny Craig spokesperson Valerie Bertinelli, Alley says that Bertinelli inspires her to lose weight once again, as does First Lady Michelle Obama.

Well, I can tell you that the Showbiz Tonight staff was fired up over Kirstie Alley's public apology! Does the actress have anything to apologize for?

Tune in to Showbiz Tonight, 11p ET & PT on HLN.

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Wilmah Evanm

Hi there all, here every one is sharing these experience, therefore itis good to read this blog, and I used to pay a quick visit this blog all the time.

July 11, 2012 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. hotel en playa de san juan alicante

Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a applicable deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided vibrant clear idea

April 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jojo

Kirstie,
    I want you to know I've gained some weight. And I'm really sorry.

June 28, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. Nifty Louie

I agree with Ringo, this is definitely a thyroid problem. I know another male who suffers from thyroid disease, and it is even worse for males than it is for women. Women can live with it, men are expected to be one-up on things, and it can be debilitating. For a star like Kristy, she may be in denial its a medical issue. The trick is to go see a doc, and get on the thyroid medication as quickly possible, the effort she is putting into weight loss will have exponential results. I promise.

November 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. paula r

Kirstie is probably fed up with pleasing people! I am sure if she could lose the weight again she would! America is all about building people up and then tearing them down! I hope she does lose the weight again and doesn't do it for Jenny Craig or anybody else just herself! I am not even a big movie star person but I am sick of all the negative publicity, nosiness and all the crap that human beings have to deal with just because some boob doesn't like they way they look!

August 15, 2009 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marji

Kirstie is beautiful. I think everyone in this world should mind their own business and take care of themselves. If everyone did that wouldn't the world be a better place.

June 13, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jill

When there is so many real issues of importance going on in the world, why should any of us care about a pampered plump celebrity that has the means and access to personal chefs, trainers and nutritionists and plenty of time on her hands? Poor lady struggling to stay thin. Try some real issues like not being able to afford food. Try being in the real world. Those of us working for a living don't have time to sit around and eats sticks of butter all day. Get a job and you'll lose weight lady.

May 7, 2009 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Erika

The apology was because she was embarrassed. She knows people are saying things about her, and even if they are not she perceives that they are thinking poorly of her. Its clear to me that Kristie has bought the lie like so many have, which is, if you do not look like a cookie cutter image, then you are worthless or . . . you have something to apologize for. It's to bad because like so many have said there is nothing to apologize for, but I think that is the trap of fame, your whole self image comes from how many people like you.

May 5, 2009 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jess

It is really sad. That people focus on celebrities. They're just human, with human problems. She needs to quit being a Scientologist. Focus on loving God and herself. Lose the weight and getting over it. For some people it's hard to lose weight and keep it off. The sad thing is, if she gives up.

May 5, 2009 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dannette

I really think that it is sad that in this society anyone has to apologies for their weight. It's none of our business anyway. This is about Kristines personal health. I know she is a celebrity but she should not feel compelled to apologies to any of us for her personal battles.

May 5, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Diana

Bravo to all of you who say Kirstie is fine as she is (health is a major concern but it's her business). I am 61 and have been overweight most of my life despite repeated diets, weight loss surgery, exercise, etc. I truly believe that some of us are just that body type regardless. I work at staying active and healthy and eating right. I have a wonderful husband of 32 years, a great career, a lovely daughter, many friends and a happy life. Being overweight is not the end of the world - one adapts and does the best they can with what they are given in life. People should not be so judgmental - looks are not everything and it truly is what is inside that counts in the long haul.

May 5, 2009 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kathy

I think Kristine needs to be beautiful for herself. No one else.

May 5, 2009 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jenickki

This is all crazy. When you lose weight so much in the open, of course the media is going to lamb-baste you when you gain it back.

Anyone who has ever lost weight on these "so called wonder diets" can tell you that when you start to go back and act like a human being and actually start to live your life; you gain weight.

Kirstie has nothing to apologize about. Jenny Craig owes her the apology due to the fact that after 3 years she could not maintain the weight based upon their principles.

You don't have to be a size 6 to be beautiful.

Awh, I would be really curious to see if Val balloons back up as well. They both are beautiful women, and that is what should be respected not whether they look hot in a bikini or not.

May 5, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. pam

I feel that this is the problem. What, you have to pay Jenny Craig for the rest of your life in order to keep off the weight. Thats makes "0" sense. We have to learn to lose and keep off the weight without making others rich. Kirstie Alley does not have to apologize for something that is happening to all Americans. We live in a fast food, high fat country and we all have to learn to just say NO!

May 5, 2009 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sherri

She does not 'owe' anyone an apology. It is her body, she can do anything she wants with it.She knows she has relapsed. She does not need the entire country coming down on her for gaining weight. This is what we women have to get over. Our weight is not our life.
    As for saying she is repulsive, I do not understand that at all. She is a pretty, talented woman. Does her weight make her repulsive? Then it is a good thing Lori is not one of Kirstie's friends.
    Kirstie will lose it when she is ready. It is no business of ours. At all

May 5, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  16. Don

Lori is repulsive, Kirstie will always be a babe.

May 5, 2009 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  17. honest ab

Hey, It's Hollywood....do you expect anything better from them. If you aren't a size 2, you are obiest. This is the very reason why our young girls are facing anorexia and bulimia problems. Hollywood has distorted our girls mind of what beauty is. So, my advise to Kirstie and many others are to learn that beauty goes so much farther than skin or outward appearance, but it is whats on the inside of a person heart that make them absolutely gorgous and beautiful. Yes, we want to be healthy this is the main factor, not how much weight you lose. You have some of the smallest people, who are unhealthy.

So, I say learn to love yourself and stop waiting for others to love you, tell you who you are, and what you should be. Ladies, take my advice tell your daughters they are beautiful regardless of their size and to encourage them to be healthy, this is the best information we could ever give our daughters. Men lie to them regardless of what they look like and we need to protect our daughters, inform them of who they are, and not to never allow a man to determine their worth and destination.

May 5, 2009 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  18. Barbara

I do not care if she is grossly overweight and she is! She must not care very much about herself in order to get so big. I am 10 lbs. over and when I get that much over, I feel terrible physically and mentally. She needs counseling. Her lifetime is short with that much weight. I remember her years back and how pretty she was. Too bad.

May 5, 2009 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  19. debbie

it strikes me funny that someone who lost weight and then gains weigh shoudl have to apolize we struggle with our weigh issues every day up down up down. do i have to apolize to every one iknow because i gained some weigh no way. but will i try again to lose yes. please can we focus on real issues like the world , and leave this women alone to do what ever she needs to do to lose weight or what every.

May 5, 2009 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  20. ringo

That level of weight gain isn't just about willpower. She needs to look for a medical issue – thyroid, blood sugar, even asthma (which can make you tired all the time long before it makes you wheeze). There is clearly a problem here.

May 5, 2009 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  21. Sue

I don't think she has anything to apologize for. She was inspirational to people but both she and Oprah don't need to feel embarassed. Why should we hold them to a higher standard than we hold ourselves to? I think that it goes to show you that no matter how successful or how much money you have you are still a human being and have the same struggles as the rest of us. And like the rest of us they have to just keep going and learn from their mistakes. I was sad to hear that with all the good they have done that they still are judging themselves by outward appearance and expect us to as well. Just be happy and know that no matter your size you are a worthwhile person.

May 4, 2009 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ruthy

She's still pretty. She'll figure it out.

May 4, 2009 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  23. courtney

Mj -your w wonderful person and hoiw right u are!!!! for all we know god is a fat woman!!!!lol

May 4, 2009 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Flora

She has nothing to apologize for. I hope she learns to accept herself & move on. If she chooses to attempt to lose the weight in the future, I would hope that she does it privately, not for the world to see and judge.

May 4, 2009 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Victoria

Apologize? To whom? It's no one's business but Kirsties. Perhaps Kirstie should learn to love herself. To have your happiness tied to the opinions of others is not healthy!

May 4, 2009 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ashley

I think Kirstie deserves to be happy without having to wonder what the people of the world will think of her. She lost 75 pounds; I know I wouldn't be able to do that, especially with the constant pressure of Jenny Craig and the public eye criticizing or praising each and every move. She shouldnt' apologize to anyone. Her life is her life, and if her happy weight isn't 75 pounds lighter, that's fine. She will lose weight again. Just give her time.

May 4, 2009 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mare

Again, good luck, Kirstie!

May 4, 2009 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  28. joco, NH

She is a beautiful woman who has the battle that so many of us fight – the bulge. She'll lose it.

May 4, 2009 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Kathy

I admittedly have had a weight problem and I can't understand how in the heck someone can gain 75 lbs in a year's time. As successful as she was and the money she was getting to promote Jenny Craig (and probably free food) and her circuit training equipment in her house, there is no excuse on this planet for her to have put that much weight back on. After the first 20 lbs I've have been running for Jenny Craig. She needs to be embarrassed – Do I care about her apology? Actually no. Her weight is her business – we know she's fat . She's not telling us anything new. There's no reason to be whining all over the news and TV about it – just do something about it. I started my weight loss program because of my family – If i remember correctly, Kirstie was orphaned in her late teens or early 20's; she should realize she needs to be around for her kids. She needs to ask herself this question – is she eating to live or living to eat.

May 4, 2009 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Joy

Thank you MJ. Kirstie is not repulsive and I wish her the best also. She owes no explanations or apologies to anyone.

May 4, 2009 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  31. loretta

Moo moo. Why do we care about this untalented cow! A failure in work family and weight. What a waste! And this is news? Shame on CNN for this crap!

May 4, 2009 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  32. cm

You go girl. I wish you the best of luck in your journey to lose the weight. Please do what is best for you, because you have a strong creator. An apology is not needed.

May 4, 2009 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  33. james

My comment is for Lori and it goes like this- Lori your comment is repulsive. You should be ashamed of yourself for being so judgemental. Obviously Kirsitie has a problem with her self image and really doesn't need to get slammed every which way she turns. Try a little compassion. You might find it becomes you.

May 4, 2009 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  34. irish

I believe that she has absolutely nothing to apologize for. Who are we to throw stones. People gain weight for any number of reasons, depression, overeathing, health issues. We have no idea of what she was desling with in her life and it's really none of our business. Beside that, are any of us so perfect that we honestly think we have the right to judge? Everyone needs support when trying to "get back on the horse".....if you can't say something positive don't bother commenting.

May 4, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  35. KC

Yes inner beauty is what matters, but.......that size is not healthy for anyone. Everyone needs to slim down to at least the healthy size for them, that makes them not be higher on the chain for health problems. Once they are there if they want to go slimmer its their choice, but no one should settle for being overweight and happy with their body when its not bout their body its about their health.

May 4, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Kim ---Dublin, Ohi

Kristie has nothing to apologize for. It is her body and she need to do whatever it takes to be happy. Her health is so much more important than what people have to say or think. I would prefer to see her get her health in order but having been there a number of times and back I know what she is fighting.

I would not have been so public with my weight issue in the first place would be my only criticism of Kristie. I wish her the best life has to offer and hope health problems do not take her from us early.

May 4, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jan

I think she was very brave to go on Oprah and admit her failure. Should she have apologized, probably not....she should only answer to herself, not the hyper-critical US citizens.

May 4, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  38. LT

Why on earth would you call someone repulsive? What are we 5th graders now? That is hateful, cruel and uneccesary. It always amazes me to see how judgemental people are of everyone else...before you call someone else repulsive think about how you would feel if millions of people were saying that about you on a daily basis...What if everyone in the world told you that you were repulsive, fat, ugly, and hideous? Im sure you have a flaw, Lori...we all do. Keep that in mind before you start spewing that foolishness.

May 4, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Linda

I think Kirstie has no reason to apologize. Her weight her life. People should not feel ashamed of how they look no matter what! Being happy and healthy that is all that should matter

May 4, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Tom Bruce

Other than a brief, whiney, and sometimes boring, stint on "Cheers," what has this lady every done to deserve our attention? Let's talk about people who matter.

May 4, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Char

Kirstie is a beautiful woman no matter her weight. She is talented and should not apologize for anything. I think we should all be understanding about weight issues. No one wants to have them but several of us do. God Bless her and I hope she can find peace and happiness with herself no matter what size she is.

May 4, 2009 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Elizabeth

I don't believe the lady has any reason to apologize. I do wonder, however, if her continuing "battle" with her weight is indicative of a much deeper problem. Rather than being so public about gaining weight and "apologizing" to people she doesn't know and who don't know her she should privately and quietly seek the help she needs to lose the weight (if she feels she should) and to understand why she needs to "go public" with such a private matter.

May 4, 2009 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  43. Brenda

Why don't people just get a life and stop judging others! I have a daughter who is 5-1 weighs 105, yes, she is very thin, but so was her great grandmother who lived all her life at 100 lbs and died at the same weight! Did at 93 and healthy all her life, just thin.

May 4, 2009 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  44. Franky

Ohhh, that's Kirstie Alley. I remember her now, she was in that talking dog movie with John Travolta, I remember that movie and even with the babies, that's so cute...

Yeah, I was kinf of bogus too her because she got fat but hey, come on, is funny when women get fat, no? Is funny, I mean, I don't get fat, why? That's because I like pina coladas...and get caught in the rain...you're the love that I've looked for...write to me and escape!! LOL!!!

I love that song!! Who doesn't like to look at the early newspaper and get tired of your wife at the same time? LOL!!! Sorry, but we are bustin out that song over here...can't believe we're going old-school!!

May 4, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  45. Bill

It is really nobody business. People have enough problems in this world without being harassed about their weight.

May 4, 2009 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  46. MB

Kirstie still rocks! She has all the talent she's ever had no matter what her weight. People need to get over the "how big a person is" issue and look at accomplishments of that individual.
    If/when she loses some weight, she'll gain back her comfidence and show everyone how stupid a topic this really is!
    You GO Kirstie!!

May 4, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  47. CM

I feel really bad for Kirstie Alley. I feel her pain. I'm not quite as large as she is, but I've been struggling to lose my last 20 lbs. I worked out with a personal trainer for 4 months and had lost weight and was eating well. As soon as prices increased from working out with the personal trainer I stopped working out and starting eating bad foods. I have since only gained back about 5 lbs. It still feels terrible. I realized that I have a problem with committing to a work out regimen as well as with eating healthy. It's like I'll work out and do well, but as soon as I start seeing results I resume to eating unhealthy foods. I've finally realized this and this time I'm going to create my own work out regimen, keep a diary of the times I work out, and track the foods I've been eating. Hopefully, this will hel pme.

May 4, 2009 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  48. kelli C

Kirstie has NOTHING to apologize for. Its not she was being a hypocrit, she was Jenny Craig's spokesperson but she was also participating in the program so it's not like she was in our faces, preaching at us to lose weight. She was sharing HER success and letting us know if she can do it so can we. She is a BEAUTIFUL woman, talented and funny. No matter her weight, as long as she is happy, it's HER business. I would only be concerned about her weight if it was causing her health issues. I hope she can get to a HEALTHY weight and stay there. Keep being you Kirstie. We love ya!!!

May 4, 2009 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  49. Valerie

She does not need to apologize. No one needs to apologize for gaining or losing weight. Seriously...who cares. And it is no one's business but her own. Being overweight says NOTHING about the kind of person she may or may not be.

May 4, 2009 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  50. Teresa

Kirstie is an unhappy depressed woman. Just because she gained back the weight is no reason to judge her as a person. Nobody knows what her personal demons might be, and it's nobody's business either.

May 4, 2009 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  51. LocNar

Great way to get back in the spotlight...

May 4, 2009 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  52. Robb

I think it's sad that she feels she needs to apologize. It's a sad statement about the shallowness that is prevalent in American society.

May 4, 2009 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  53. Starvation

A Hollywood life is so hard on actresses. They have to stave themselves silly to win roles and then when the limelight fades they tend to enjoy those goods things they have been deprived of.
    Eating items from a grocery store is easy but it is all packaged junk food full of sugar and high fructose corn syrup (a killer). Just like everying else in nature people also tend to take the path of least resistance. Kirstie is beautiful and funny no matter what her weight. It's always easiest to knock people when they are down...path of least resistance you know.

May 4, 2009 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  54. Artman

Kirstie is a beautiful, talented woman whom is struggling with her weight.. Big deal. So am I. I totally get it.
    I think she should seperate her personal life from her acting career. I dont care what Oprah says. Never have.. Just another waste of verbage on the airwaves for people to pick apart.
    Best wishes Kirstie

May 4, 2009 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  55. SAC

Kristie has nothing to apoloze for. I have been through this too. I lost 80 lbs through Weight Watchers, but due to stresses in my life I gained it all back. Most women on this planet have problems with weight. That's why companies like Jenny Craig, Nutra-System and Weight Watchers make so much money. Then I realized that even being thin didn't make any difference to what I was feeling inside and until I get that straight, losing weight is not going do any good.

May 4, 2009 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  56. Chuck Donnelly

She has nothing to apologize for...especially on Oprah.! That woman changes sizes every 3000 miles...! She's still nice looking...and Valarie Bertinelli sure is hot again. Get back on the program Kirstie!

May 4, 2009 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  57. missy

She isn't repulsive, she's a normal woman struggling with weight issues. Welcome to the real world. It's nice that some of Hollywood isn't skin and bones. I am a physically fit woman, but I see REAL women struggle all the time. It's a shame that people think heavy people are repulsive. Walk a mile in their shoes, before you judge.

May 1, 2009 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  58. Sandy

Kristie does not have to say she is sorry about her weight. She is a beautiful woman. I admire her.

May 1, 2009 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  59. Mel

Our society really needs to get over being size bias. There are so many other things for all of us to work on.

Leave people alone, whether they be too skinny, too fat, too short, too tall, etc.

May 1, 2009 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  60. Sarah

Why does anyone care how fat or thin any celeb is? People are beautiful no matter what their weight. Most of America is obese anyway....

May 1, 2009 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  61. Duane

Kirstie has always annoyed me. I remember she made some snide comments about Shelly Long back in the day, which I found confusing. Kirstie should worship Shelly Long! If Long has not quit 'Cheers", Kirstie would likely be a fat unknown housewife.

May 1, 2009 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  62. Dan Verner

Re miss california.Jane,if you think same sex marriage is ok why don't you and Nancy get married and get a reality show?It would be really neet to watch you two get into a little spat,OMG could the world handle it!!!!!

May 1, 2009 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  63. MJ

I think her weight is her own business too. She is not repulsive, she is a woman who just needs to learn to be happy with who she is regardless of the package it comes in. Maybe if the people of the United States looked for inner beauty as much as outer beauty, there wouldn't be so many screwed up people in the world.

April 30, 2009 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Dan

I hope she can find the inspiration to "get healthy" whatever weight that may mean for her. She's a very talented comedic actress but people unfortunately enjoy slamming her now. I really hope she finds the happiness that will let her take care of her weight/health.

April 30, 2009 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Kelly

I think her weight is her personal business. Really, who cares.

April 30, 2009 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |