April 28th, 2009

Injury sidelines ‘Dancing’ star

Injuries have plagued “Dancing With the Stars” from the beginning this season. Two celebrity contestants – TV host Nancy O’Dell and singer Jewel - had to drop out before the competition even began.

Now, “Bachelor” alumna Melissa Rycroft, who stepped in at the last minute to replace O'Dell, had to skip last night’s show because of a hairline fracture of her ribs.

Rycroft was already dancing in pain last week and a video of her rehearsal with professional partner Tony Dovolani showed her wincing as she practiced the jive for this week’s competition.

Her absence meant the judges had to score the routine based on a rehearsal taped the morning of the live show in which casually-dressed Rycroft and Dovolani danced in an empty ballroom.

The development now sets up an interesting results show tonight. Rodeo star (and Jewel’s husband) Ty Murray seemed to be on his way out, but he received good reviews and a standing ovation from the audience after his salsa last night. His team also won the group dance competition.

Meanwhile, Rycroft had been receiving consistently great marks, but has her injury slowed her momentum?

Tell us who you think will be the next to go.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Sue

I think the little gymnest should go. She is too young and dances like a robot – not fluid!

April 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jt

Shawn Johnson has hit a plateau, with Chuck & Ty both showing steady improvement. Melissa seems more fluid and creative than Shawn, so I vote for Shawn to depart.

April 28, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Susan

Its about time to send Ty home !! I hope Melissa stays if she can...finally Tony gets paired with someone who CAN win and this happens. I hope she is well enough to stay...

April 28, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pam

I think Melissa is doing a great job and in the end it's her decision whether she goes on or not – unless of course she is voted off – and I don't see that happening! I think it's time for Shawn to go – and I'm afraid Ty or Gilles will be next – which I believe would be right – I believe the final 3 will come down to Lil' Kim, Melissa (if there) and Chuck. I may be wrong on Chuck – but I don't think so – I believe it will be Lil' Kim taking it all home!

April 28, 2009 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BillK

Melissa, Gilles and Shawn are going to be the finalists, with Li'l Kim being the last to go before finals...

April 28, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Stacey

I agree about the professional. I think some professionals always seem to get stuck with stars that don't/can't win. I wonder how they choose who gets paired with a star?

April 28, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Katherine

Don't you think people also vote for their favorite professional?

April 28, 2009 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Katherine

I think Melissa should go due to her injury. If not, I think Ty will go.
    BTW, Mark Ballas gets better and better.

April 28, 2009 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jonathan Hassenberger

Whom cares. Dancing? The stars? These people aren't stars. IN teh gammit of mankind they are irrelevant. This is just mindless egoism and greed. Aren't there more important issues for us to spend our time and energy upon? How about job creation and imprisoning all of the executives whom stole U.S. taxpayer funds? How about spending time bailing out fellow Americans? How about firing and indicting the knucklehead whom approved the "unanounced fighter jet trailing the Boeing jet liner over Manhattan?" Now, his trial is something I'd watch. We want justice... not dance. How petty have we become. A nation of mindless idiots.

April 28, 2009 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alicia

I think Ty will be voted off, but I hope it's Shawn. She dances too much like a gymnast-duh! But,it's supposed to be about who does the best dancing, most graceful, etc.

April 28, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scott

Melissa is 5 points behind second to last place, and we really don't know if she has a fan base because her previous high judges' scores has virtually insulated her from elimination. Ty blew me away last night, and I thought it was mean spirited for Len, the Grim Reaper, to say he thinks it is time for him to leave (he really did not criticize the dance–the score reflected Len's overall impression of Ty throughout the competition). Ty has always admitted when his dances were less than stellar, but I'm glad he stepped up and said that was his best samba and he can't see how he can do better. Also, Ty gained ground in the group dance. It's too bad Melissa could not compete, but I think her low scores will lead to her elimination tonight.

April 28, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. George

At this point Melissa might as well bow out. That's not the kind of injury that's going to heal in week's time and it's a strong possibilty she's just going to aggravate it again when she tries to resume dancing. She needs several weeks to fully recover.

It's a shame because she had a great chance of winning the whole thing.

April 28, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Heather Partner

I think Melissa should drop out because whose to say she will be able to dance week to week.. A fracture takes time to heal and that is not fair to the dancers who are 100% healthy...

April 28, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Frank Muraca

Just think of all the money the NETWORK is making with the vote by TEXT MESSAGING. It's Brilliant. TEXT to vote someone off, TEXT to vote someone on, TEXT TEXT TEXT..Congratulations on the shows producers in developing this ingeniuos cash flow method.

April 28, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Michele Williams

Not knowing if Melissa will be able to dance next week,
    give everyone a by this week and drop two next week – one
    of whom may have to be Melissa if she cannot heal or
    if she decides to withdraw. The other will be the individual
    who would have been dropped tonight.

Michele

April 28, 2009 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  16. Kel

I am hoping that Melissa drops out if she needs to and doesn't push herself unnecessarily. She is a great dancer, but needs to be healthy.

I hope Chuck goes. He thinks he is all that and a bag of chips, but he's more like a bag of wind.

April 28, 2009 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  17. alex

Maybe DWTS should steal a page from Idol and have the judges save a couple if they have the lowest scores or the judges can use a "mulligan" if there is an injury to a dancer that keeps them from performing.

April 28, 2009 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  18. Marsha

The biggest problem I can see with this show ( and I do enjoy it) is the fact, that these contestents are supposed to be amatures! Every week they get out there and "kill" to do these amazing STUNTS to electrify the audience and judges. Have we (judges&public) forgotten what this show was about when it started? Ty and Chuck are the most improved and had NO prior experience dancing,gymnastics or cheerleading going into competition. There have been way too many injuries this year with the big chase of the thrill for a vote!!

April 28, 2009 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  19. Midge

I don't want any of them to go!

April 28, 2009 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  20. Dave

I disagree, Carmen. I think both on "Dancing" and "Idol", America has got it right so far. All the contestants that are left deserve to be there, and from here on, it will always be somebody good eliminated.

April 28, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  21. VICKI

THIS SEASON HAS BEEN INTERESTING FROM THE 1ST WEEK. IT'S TOO CLOSE TO CALL, BUT IT SEEMS THAT THERE HAVE BEEN MORE INJURIES IN THIS GROUP THAN OTHERS. THIS IS AN INTERESTING MIX OF PERSONALITIES AND SKILL, I AGREE THAT TY HAS BEEN THE MOST IMPROVED, WITH CHUCK NEXT. I LIKE IT BEING CLOSE LIKE THIS, BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT.

April 28, 2009 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  22. Fred Riek

Melissa has been a big draw for DWTS. She has grearly improved over the weeks as have others, but I beleive she does have a big following. I also like Ty, but he is no where near the dancer that Melissa is. While Ty may be the nicest person, I think he is the weakest dancer, and as such he should go.

April 28, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  23. KenMcD

"They received 7s, with the judges blaming the low scores on not being able to see the couple dance the best routine possible and interact with the audience."

I think that the scoring should change when someone is injured: Based on the above the scores will ALWAYS be lower because the audience is not there( a setup for failure). Instead, why not average the last 2 or 3 dances and give that as the score. This also assumes that the "injury" is verified by a doctor.

And I would be very upset if they eliminated Melissa. But no matter what, I don't think we have seen the last of her.

April 28, 2009 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  24. Sandy

Melissa will and probably should be out, if for no other reason than health. Ty and Chuck have improved so much and I think they should stay in. Let's see where they are in the last couple of weeks. Then make the call. Lil' Kim messed up the group score and should be looked at as a possible elimination tonight. While she has been very good at times, her footing and balance has repeatedly been off. This time it cost the group, who would have probably scored all 10s. And I agree wholeheartedly with those who said Len is downright grouchy and rude. His comments to Ty and Gilles were uncalled for and the audience let him know it. Even Carrie Ann and Bruno are starting to look at him crosswise. I say eliminate the crabby Brit tonight!

April 28, 2009 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  25. Carmen

I am not sure who will be voted off but I think it is a mistake in this show and Idol to let people call in to vote. Most people can not be trusted to actually vote for the best dancer, singer etc. Instead they vote for people they like instead of voting for the talent.

April 28, 2009 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  26. TamsToy

Time to say goodbye to Melissa....unfortunately, a hairline fracture will not heal itself in a week or two. Ty deserves to stay in and if he leaves tonight because the viewers feel sorry for Melissa, that is not right. What Melissa should do is drop out of the competition. It is sad, because she is a good dancer, but it is only fair to the others. I hope DWTS doesn't waste the viewers time. Melissa will not bounce back that quickly from an injury like this.

April 28, 2009 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  27. Daisy

Melissa replaced Nancy O'Dell, not Jewel. Holly Madison was Jewel's replacement.

April 28, 2009 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  28. Sharon

I think she should drop out. She had her five minutes of fame for 10 minutes now. It is not worth hurting yourself more. I think Little Kim is now the one to beat and I see the finals being her, Giles, and Chuck.
    It is getting harder to pick who is going home. It is not past dances, we are supposed to vote on the week at hand only, and based on that Melissa should go.

April 28, 2009 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  29. Jano

There is a difference in being a good critic and telling it like it is, and beling down right rude. Len is this.

April 28, 2009 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  30. Janice

I hope Melissa will still be in there – she is a great dancer!

April 28, 2009 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  31. Dennis

I beleive Len is the only judge that tells it like it is! He is forthright when the performer does not do well and he praises when they go above and beyond. I agree with Len this week is Ty's last week.

April 28, 2009 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  32. Andrea

Man...I like all that are left. Whoever goes at this point will be heartbreaking. Ty has come a long way. I don't know. Hard to call this one. It could be anyone.

April 28, 2009 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  33. Patti

randeeeleee: that was hysterical!

April 28, 2009 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  34. Daryl

I hope the Robot Cowboy, I mean Ty goes home tonight. He is so stiff everytime he dances. His salsa was only good last night because that dance calls for his upper body to be rigid, and that is definitely his strong suit.

April 28, 2009 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  35. Jano

I am also sick of Len. He is a "grouchy old man" and was totally rude to Ty who has shown his work ethic and great desire to get better each week. I hope Ty is not eliminated. We voted for the first time last night and it was for Ty. I think Shawn should go.

April 28, 2009 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  36. randeee leee

They should tell Melissa that they picked her to stay, then have Jason the bachelor come on to tell her on national tv that they really want Ty instead

April 28, 2009 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  37. Toni

Melissa will DEFINITELY not be voted off tonight...she has way to many fans and even not being there she didn't score THAT low...she will stay and Ty or Chuck will go....

April 28, 2009 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  38. staci

I hope America will still voted for her.. she is a great dancer besides the temporary injury.. She is one of the best there.. keep her in USA!!!

April 28, 2009 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  39. michaels

Tye Murray has been the most over all improved since he started. always the gentlemen and professional, he continues to shine each week. and will be a fierce competitor to theend. Len, get a life.
    who will go... the frenchman is loosing his edge of competing, and the gymnist is using to much of her long jump moves..

April 28, 2009 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  40. Doreen

At this point, it's my opinion that she not continue to compete – it's NOT worth it. It's obvious she's a great dancer and but when does it become more important to win DWTS than it is to take care of yourself?

April 28, 2009 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |