April 17th, 2009

Amy Poehler's new gig

Amy Poehler got huge laughs on “Saturday Night Live” for reading outrageous news on Weekend Update and for her brilliant impressions of Hillary Clinton, Britney Spears, Sharon Stone and countless others.

So it’s kind of strange to see her in a new comedy role and not hear applause or laughter when she appears on screen.

Poehler is the star of “Parks and Recreation,” a new television series on NBC in which she plays Leslie Knope, a mid-level city official in Pawnee, Indiana.

The show’s Web site bills it as a “mockumentary that looks at the exciting world of local government” and fans of “The Office” will recognize the same mix of workplace tensions, deadpan delivery and comically awkward moments. (The show’s creators also wrote for “The Office.")

Two episodes of “Parks” have aired so far and it’s still hard to say what to make of the series. I’m a huge fan of “The Office” and some of its outrageous situations and dialogue make me laugh out loud, but this show hasn’t had the same effect so far, though it is amusing in places.

The big focus so far has been the effort of Poehler’s character to turn an abandoned construction pit into a park and the resulting bureaucracy and frustrating contact with the public.

It took a while for “The Office” to catch on with audiences - will it be the case with this show? If you’ve been watching “Parks and Recreation,” tell us what you think.

Post by: ,
Filed under: television

1. Forbes

Man, show is terrible. And, maybe the worst part of all is Amy Poehler.
    I tried to give it a chance, like a lot of people, I though Palin was kinda funny and all. But now, I can't believe how unfunny Amy Poehler is. She just sorta does this wacky face thing.
    Just don't find her the least bit funny now.

April 28, 2009 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mike

she's a genius
    show sucks

April 21, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mblind

It's the worst show on TV.. I am never watching this again..

April 21, 2009 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TL Marsh

I've worked in the Dept. of Parks & Rec. for no less than 2 cities
    in "The O.C.", as well as a County Government, too. I recognize
    many of the typical clue-less bureaucratic types I dealt with on
    this show, including the star's sometimes vacuous character.
    Then again, I'm a big fan of the Christopher Guest mockumentaries
    ("Spinal Tap", "Waiting for Guffman", "For Your Consideration"),
    and I think this show is great. Hopes it stays on the air!

April 21, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

I think you people are just Officianados. Get it?! If you can get past that the show is really quite funny. The irony of the relationship between Amy and her boss is worth watching in itself. She thinks government can solve every problem and he advocates dissolving almost all forms of government.

I love "The Office" as well. I think there is room for this sit-com as well. Especially if it gives a great comedic talent like Amy Poehler a chance.

April 21, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Emily

I think the parks and recreation is such a funny show! I always laugh when i watch it with my family. In fact., The character Leslie reminds me of myself.....

April 21, 2009 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nadia

Watched 15 minutes of the pilot but turned if off after realizing it was EXACTLY like The Office. Did the producers think we couldn't catch on b/c in this show Michael Scott is woman? On top of being unoriginal, it isn't very funny. Two thumbs down!

April 21, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Stef

I work in local government and this is not at all a "mockumentary". Funnier things happen in my office everyday! This show is awful. None of the characters are likeable. The story line is unrealistic. It is a shame! I definitely expected more from the writers and hoped for much better. Amy Poehler is a very funny lady and I cannot believe she is playing this kind of "stupid" character. It is definitely beneath her talent. If it weren't for Earl and the Office preceding and following this show, I would just turn the TV off!

April 21, 2009 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. AndyK

Anne hit it on the head! I think The Office has gone down hill too! Feels like they are going through the motions, although the last epi was pretty funny with the cheese puffs – THAT's the kind of stuff that Parks and Rec needs. Silly momements happening at a faster pace, not actual boring local government at work!

To me, having Amy as a smart, wise-cracking New Yorker thrust into small government would have been more fun to watch. How many episodes can you devote to making a corner park?

April 21, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GeorgiaPeach

Has anyone see the Mighty B? That show is FAR more funny and exciting than Parks and Rec – her talent really shines in that cartoon, not sure this is the best use of her talent on this Office-like show. It's like what makes Amy Amy doesn't get to shine through.

April 21, 2009 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sacwho

The show is perhaps more funny for us who actually work in local government, because many of the situations and discussions really happen. It is satire – but not too far from the truth. Agreed that they could make the lead role a bit smarter and have her deal with bureaucracy and public involvement and managing federal, state and local regulations. It would make it more connected to the audience.

"You deal it permits and red tape and long waits for approval? Well so do we...let me show you how it really is."

April 21, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. npike

i generally like Amy – but this show is awful and i'm not watching any more.

April 21, 2009 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chris

This show tries to be too much like The Office, creating really awkward situations, few of which are actually humorous. Poehler is just frustratingly awkward to watch, eliciting more sighs than laughs. Maybe the show will grow into its own, but I have my doubts.

April 21, 2009 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Stephany

I watched the first episode. I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt that the show was new and it might take a little bit to get the bugs ironed out. I WAS WRONG! This show is not funny at all. Amy was funny on SNL. On this show....not so much. Sorry.

April 21, 2009 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  15. Bill from Madison

I loved Amy on SNL. Her new show is a complete waste of her talent. Parks & Recreation will be very short lived, I'm afraid. One of the most boring shows I've seen since the one on the Geographic Channel about wildebeests trying to climb out of a dry river bed.

April 21, 2009 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  16. Anne

Parks & Rec is ok, might get better, might not, but what really floors me here is how many people seem to still be mega-fans of The Office.
    The show has gone so steadily downhill since last year it would take more than this space to enumerate the ways. Rainn Wilson is just too creepy, Steve Carell is not only unfunny, but sad, and whoever the guy is who plays Andy is more than faintly icky . Jenna Fischer used to be great, as did John Krasinski, but no longer, and get rid of that kid who plays Ryan. The other characters, unfortunately, are too minor to even rate.

April 21, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  17. Heather

Well I know I am in the minority here, but Poehler isn't my favorite. She seems to always be laughing along with the audience. I don't care for her delivery. I LOVE the audience but what makes actors like Rainn Willson so great is that they fully commit to the character. I was thrilled to hear they were working on a new series but that was killed when they cast her.

April 20, 2009 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  18. rick

I too appreciate Amy's talent but she deserves better than this "Office" re-tread. P&R is an "Office" knock off filled with a female Michael Scott, an eyebrow lifting, smirking "Jim" imitation and an Indian character, this one male. A success formula run amuck. Not good, not fresh, not creative, and a disrespect of the American public.

April 20, 2009 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Lois Griffin

I don't like this show so far, not at all. Amy is hilarious and beautiful – unfortunately, she's not a good enough actress to make us believe she is as stupid as the character Leslie Knope. Steve Carell is a great actor and pulls off the stupidity of Michael Scott. Unfortunately, Amy Poehler just is not at that level of acting yet. The show is not a good one.

April 20, 2009 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  20. jeff

This show is just another example of television and movie executives unwillingness to branch out and look for new story ideas. Why keep doing the same thing over and over? The Office has been done, take a chance on a totally new concept.

April 20, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Stephanie R

Love Amy Poehler, but confussed by the exact format of The Office which I love. She needs a fresh, new innovative approch, she can do anything! Give her something extreme to do...not a knock off... she's way to talented for this show!

April 20, 2009 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ruby

I really am enjoying this show. Each character is funny in their own right. I hope the network gives it enough time to grow an audience. I think it could be great.

April 20, 2009 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  23. Laura

I agree with the other posters, I love Amy Poehler but this show stinks...I'm surprised it made it to episode 2, I thought for sure it was going to be just like "Emily's Reasons Why Not..."

April 18, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sherry

I really liked the first episode. The next episode was awful. I hope the next few are funny. I will definitely give it a chance because I love the cast and am a big fan of The Office. The Office was not that funny for the first few episodes either but as I continued to watch and the characters developed, it quickly became a favorite. I hope the same happens with Parks and Recreation.

April 18, 2009 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Jeremy

You have to give the show time. Tell me one show that most people tend to enjoy that was a smash hit right out of the gate? It takes most shows and writers quite a few episodes to really hit their stride. Give the show time and it'll come.

April 18, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ryan

Watched the first episode, and decided to never waste my time with it again. Why would I want to watch a less funny version of the office when I can just watch the office?

April 18, 2009 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Kevin

This show is hilarious. I think the first episode was overhyped so the best lines were in all the commercials. Despite that, this show has a lot of great moments, especially if you have ever ventured to a community meeting or dealt with your local government. Give the show some time.

April 18, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  28. geri

HUGE fan of Amy P. from film and SNL, love the office. Thought the new sitcom was terribly disappointing. Unfortunately, its just not funny. I'm hoping it won't have too big of a negative impact on her career.

April 18, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Winston

Bit of a rough start but that goes for any show. I've laughed a few times during the first two episodes and will certainly continue to watch. I'm sure they'll get into their "groove" soon enough, just gotta give it a chance. I love Amy Poehler, I think she's hilarious.

April 18, 2009 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  30. Kat

I must say that I'm a huge Amy Poehler fan. But, I'm rather disappointed with this show so far...
    I've feel that the show is just taking elements of the Office and placing them in new contexts, such as a local government system. Poehlers, Michael Scott character has been run into the ground already by the Office, it's less funny and more painful to see Poehlers character do more of the same.
    I'm also disappointed because it seems like poor timing to imitate the Office, which I feel has lost their touch and has been going down hill...fast.
    I really wanted this to work for Amy – she's so talented. It's very disheartening to be so disappointed.

April 18, 2009 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  31. Chris

This show has its funny moments but overall it is not original, it is the office done bad! I think Amy Poehler is great and I am really disappointed that she was not given a good enough show!!!

April 18, 2009 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  32. Shane McGuire

I cannot comment on the show "Parks", but I can comment on three new shows that have really suprised me in their release.

Those would be "Kings", "The Beast" and "Southland"

I can truely say the folks who put these together have done a fine job, and I ma definately lookng forward to new episodes.

If you have not seen them yet, you just might want to have a good look.

In particular Southland. So far it has been a really viceral look into the life of Law Enforcement Officers, who in this day in time are totally unrespected.

If you want a closer image than that you receive on Cops, then this is going to be a nice change. And... for the record, no its not just another Police Series like NCIS, or the CSI Series.

April 18, 2009 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  33. Kherov

NOT FUNNY

April 18, 2009 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  34. NBClover

I love The Office as well as Amy Poehler. I wanted so bad to like this show after the intense advertising we have seen for it. But my husband and I agree: It is not funny and does not play up enough on Poehler's comedy skills. I am done watching it (as well as the disgusting "My Name is Earl" show!).

April 17, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  35. M Kay

I like it! It's not an "in your face funny" kind of show, but it's pretty funny, and the characters are sort of endearing.

April 17, 2009 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Christy

I run a Parks Department for a municipality and I was so looking forward to this show. Amy has the talent but the writing is short of horrible. I suggest they can the writers, ask several of us who run bizarre departments to recount some of our real situations and let it run.

I agree that some of the lines hit home, but only for those of us fortunate or crazy enough to work in municipal or state government. I think there is better out there to showcase Amy's talent.

April 17, 2009 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Kristine

I love Amy but not the show. I tried to watch the second episode and it was painful... I think what it lacks is strong characters. Amy does okay as her character but she doesn't have a good supporting cast, or at least the writers don't do a great job creating funny characters in this show. That one weird teenage girl gets on my nerves.... and the town meeting with the angry citizens was too much. She should do Fish and Wildlife, not Parks and Rec. At least then you can add the animal element or random hunters or fisherman....

April 17, 2009 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  38. degrassiluv

I really wanted to love Parks and Rec. the moment I heard Amy was getting her own show, but when I saw the first episode it was a HUGE disapointment. I love Amy SOOOOOOO much, but she really should have stayed on SNL. when she was there, I actually laughed.

April 17, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Irene

I work for a Parks and Recreation department in a municipality that shall remain nameless. So when I saw that there'd be a comedy about P&R with Amy Poehler, I thought, "Can't miss".

But unfortunately, what goes on in my own department is funnier than this show has proven to be so far. You want an amusing cast of characters and funny situations, just come observe my department any day of the week. But the TV show just hasn't been very good so far.

Although I gave the show a chance, I don't plan to watch it anymore. Hope the talented Amy finds another more promising showcase for her many talents.

April 17, 2009 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Shellz

Truly not funny. It was painful. I miss her in film and SNL. Amy – you are so much funnier and brighter than that! Post pregnancy hormones or just bad writers?

April 17, 2009 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Joe

I've loved Amy since seeing her on Blades of Glory, where her over the top character was hysterical. I see alot of that in this show too, over the top Amy, and I like it.

April 17, 2009 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  42. AMM

I am going to give it a couple more episodes before I write it off completely. One of the endearing things about The Office is the supporting cast, and the fact that a lot of us can identify with the quirky personalities in the workplace. Local government, though... it all seems too slapstick and over the top. Perhaps that's how local government really operates, and maybe my county clerk is laughing her butt off at the show, but I'm not.

I'm giving it a shot, though. I really want it to be funny, because I like Amy Poehler.

April 17, 2009 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Barb

I love The Office, I think its the best comedy out there right now, and I really like Amy so I wanted to like this show, but I was disappointed. I work for local govt so I was looking forward to it, but I barely cracked a smile during the first episode. As ridiculous as the Michael Scott character is, he is actually believable, in that uncomfortable way. Amy's character is not. I want to give it another chance, but I found it almost painful to watch.

April 17, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Denise

waste of a lot of talent.

April 17, 2009 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Heidi

I think we need to give this show a chance to shine! The writers can spicen it up in a heart-beat. They found a great cast of characters and an interesting subject to work with (government). Amy Pohler can do no wrong in my eyes!

April 17, 2009 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mik

Amy should just go back to SNL, in my opinion. She was so much better and it sounds like they're trying to make her like Tina Fey, who left SNL and has a hit show. I don't know, I thought 30 Rock wasn't going to make it far so we'll see what happens....

April 17, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Hank

The problem with the show is it displays the ineptitude of government officials all too realistically. In The Office, Dunder Mifflin is a private sector business and the gaffes made would directly affect the financial success of the company, so the viewer understands scenarios may not play out realistically on the show. Contrast this with a government office that is funded by tax payer money, yet continues to blunder and NBC might have struck a nerve with the public.

Whose to say that wasn't the goal of the show though.... it would be a brilliant move to disguise a social statement in what is assumed to be a 30 minute comedy spot...

April 17, 2009 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Jason

I think the office took a bit to catch on because it was a foreign concept (to us) but it works because it's hysterical. This show seems totally formulaic and it's tragically obvious that it's trying to ride The Office coat tails. Why did they think this could work? Even if it's funny (and it's not) it's still at a disadvantage because it's totally unoriginal. I hate to say it, but I think their run was over before it started.

April 17, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Mark Bornstein

I think the show has done a great job assembling an able cast and I think it comically delivers. For those who think the Knope character resembles Michael Scott, that is understandable but I feel Poehler gives a new dynamic to awkward/situational comedy e.g. Amy's body language and delivery. Overall, it has had a steady start and I hope to be able to watch more of this entertaining comedy.

April 17, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Bill

Perhaps Amy Poehlar should start her own paper company. That's original idea...I think...or is it?

April 17, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Rick

What makes 'The Office' fun to watch is it's uniqueness. The fact that this new show is a blatant copy makes it a lot less interesting and attractive. It'll have an up hill struggle if it hopes to survive and find its own niche.

April 17, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jason

Actually very funny show. I hope it sticks around – Prime Time is painfully short of intelligent satire.

April 17, 2009 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Will

I would have to say that she is a very funny lady, and this show was not good at all. Hope that it gets better, but I am not going to wait to find out. Sorry AMY. We still love you!!

April 17, 2009 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Peggy

I like Amy Poehler, but nothing about her new show is funny. I am so disappointed.

April 17, 2009 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jovan

There will be no applause or laughter even if it's filmed infront of live audiance. The show is not funny at all. Gave it a try and that's it.

April 17, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Daniel

I'm still watching, but I think it would have been better to see Amy Poehler's character be a little more intelligent having to deal with the more idiotic side of government and the public. It might also have been a better move to set the show in a department that gets more public traffic than P and R. I just don't see as many average people going there as opposed to the DMV or the tax office.

April 17, 2009 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Heidi

I think any show in its first episodes seems a bit out of whack and uncomfortable with itself. People need a little time to grow into the characters. I'll give it some time.

April 17, 2009 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  58. c r

This show haas not been funny at ALL. The public meeting was excruciating to watch. They say they are going for "comedic awkwardness" but so far there has been no comedy. Too many of the funny sight gags have been ruined by the previews. It is unfortunate that the best part of this series has been a) the bobby knight poster in Amy's supervisors office and b) watching Amy's stunt look alike fall down the hill.
    Pull the plug NBC.
    Just whatever you do, don't put Kath and Kim back on Thursday nights.

April 17, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  59. ChadB

I think the show has potential. There is definitely an "Office"-esque writing style and camera work. The cast has to have a few episodes under their belt to gel together. The Office was introduced, then it went away, then it came back again, and I could see it happening to P.A.R. also. If you look at Amy's other bodies of work like Baby Mama or Blades of Glory, she always played a secondary character, but played them so well, and hilariously (I mean, come on, making out with Will Arnett on camera as her "brother" when they are married in real life? Who else could pull that off with such comic gusto, and make it believable?).

I'm willing to ride out the season and then compare notes at the end. Only time will tell.

April 17, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Dina

It took a while to get used to the "mockumentary" of "The Office", but I still don't think doing a similar comedy genre would work here. "The Office" works because it's more of a cast ensemble, and each character gives something great to the show. But so far, with "Parks and Recreation", there is very little ensemble piece here. The other characters need to be better developed. Amy can't carry the whole show herself.
    Good luck!

April 17, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Jen

I am so disappointed in this show, as I was so excited to see Amy again, after leaving SNL. bummer!

April 17, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Kristina Cashion-Cunningham

I love this show! Last night was the first night I actually laughed out loud, but I enjoyed the first episode as well. Perhaps it's because I see a little of myself in Leslie Knope, not something I'm proud of. But sometimes it is nice to see a little bit of yourself on TV . . . and actually laugh.

April 17, 2009 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Bob

I, too, am distracted by the "female Michael Scott" thing.
    A little Michael Scott goes a long way.
    This one is smart and has it's moments, but it's relying too much on familiar style and tone rather than staking it's own territory. I'll give it time, though. 6 episodes, tops.

April 17, 2009 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Aaron

P&R has its moments but needs to pick it up if it wants to compete with 30 Rock and The Office..... Sorry Amy 😦 I still heart you....

April 17, 2009 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Hmmm

I have watched both episodes and it's just not that funny. The few mildly amusing moments are few and far between, and it feels like an effort to wait for them. She's a good comedic actress, but the characters do not seem enough to build a show upon, no one has any depth, or even hints at any depth. It's like an "okay" SNL sketch, but stretched into a half hour. Sad.

April 17, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Randall Arnold

Geez, people, give it time.

April 17, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Ken

I have to agree with the negative tone of the comments, but I did feel like this week was an improvement over last week, and the show was ALMOST funny. I feel like they have funny storylines in place, but they execute them poorly (e.g. the town hall meeting).

April 17, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Michael Smith

This show stinks and needs to be taken out of its misery.

April 17, 2009 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Eric G

I like the show, but ive always like Amy. The only thing i dont like is what i dont like about "The Office" ...it bugs me when they look at the camera! So fake and pretentious.

April 17, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Liddy

Eh, it's not funny. I haven't laughed once. I'm a huge fan of The Office and wanted to give this show a chance, seeing as how NBC has been hanging their hat on it. But it's just not funny or engaging. The characters are one-dimensional. Greg Daniels and Mike Schure are both brilliant, I'm not sure why this sitcom falls falt on its face.

April 17, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Abby

I like it. It's early Office right now, but it'll catch on. Amy is great and so is Rashida Jones. It has its dull moments, but the funny ones are very funny. It's very much the same deadpan humor of The Office and just like The Office it will work out most of its kinks soon and be just as enjoyable.

April 17, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Dave

FOGHORN SOUND

April 17, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Lee

I love Amy Poehler and hoped for more for her. It's too much like The Office to not draw comparisons. Too bad they couldn't have given her her own new show instead of a remake of another. I hope it gathers steam for her sake, but I don't see it lasting.

April 17, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  74. David Hutson

I WANT to love this show, and I will give it every chance. As a fan of the original Aussie Kath & Kim, I hated the US version for weeks – but I've come around, I like it for completely different reasons than the orig but I have acquired a taste for it. I'm hoping the same will happen with P&R, because I really do like the cast members and ADORE Amy P...

April 17, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Keith A. Runyon

Amy Poehler is funny, pretty and talented but Parks and Recreation is horrible! She should have stayed on SNL.

April 17, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Andrew

I think you hit the nail on the headn with the article... It's a show very much like the office – but not as funny, or as interesting... I plan to give it 2 more weeks before making a final decision but I thought last night kinda stunk.

April 17, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Tom Scanlon

It's not a bad show at all. But all new shows need to gel and the cast needs to get a rythme going. This show definitely hasn't come together yet. I'll give it a month or so. I think Amy Poehler can find a good rythme with this case. I just hope that the creators give her a part in the direction that the show moves, because the comments that this show is just a ripoff could be validated if they don't find some new spins. I think that Amy could do that.

April 17, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Tammy B.

Watched about 10 minutes and said "next" and went to another show. This show was terrible. I like Amy – but not even enough to stick it out.

April 17, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Jon

So far it is TOO much like The Office. Amy Poehler's character is the female Michael Scott. This is like when they did "That 80's Show" thinking that the concept alone was the success of "That 70s Show". She is so funny and talented that it's not fair that she is just working on a re-hash of the office. They should have made this a true spin off like they were going to and then we would have accepted it much more. The worlds could have collided and it would have been soo funny.

April 17, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Travis

I agree with Kristy. I work in state government, and I found the whole show to be a very satirical, yet accurate, representation of government. I would bill the show as The Office for the public sector. I was LOLing the whole time.

April 17, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Kevin King

It's a funny show. Poehler works as the doe-eyed politician finding her footing while trying not to compromise her decency. Although, she does step in it every now and again thanks to some misguided principals. It isn't at The Office level yet, but there's promise.

Although the show probably won't get too much love here, since the CNN forum crowd reminds one of the same type of people you see at a typical city council meeting (the type of people the show lampoons regularly): a lot of opinion with little patience.

April 17, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Matt

I can't say that I'm warming up to this one. I gave it a chance and just don't think it's all that funny (and I'm a big Office fan). I know Poehler *can* be funny as I loved her on SNL, but the suspect writing is killing this one.

April 17, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  83. john

I have tried to site through this show twice...not good and probably not going to last without a major overhaul.

April 17, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Kristy

Of course most people wouldn't understand the concept and the mockery behind this show unless of course they work or have worked in local government. If they have, they would know that what is portrayed in Parks and Recreation happens everyday within local government! The show is great and makes me laugh!

April 17, 2009 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  85. JohnTate

I haven't watched it because the commercials are horribly unfunny. As everyone knows, usually the best material is shown in the commercials. I'll be surprised if it makes it past five episodes.

April 17, 2009 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  86. josh

It stinks. It tries to be The Office, it's shot like The Office, same format as The Office... but just not funny. Amy P is great and Rashida Jones is very likable but unfunny is unfunny.

April 17, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  87. WendyinPA

I'm not a fan of the show...and I so love Amy Poehler. But if she is going to pull that character off she has to have a better supporting cast. The Office works because you have all these other quirky character. Dwight who's off the wall about things. Jim who's the loveable next door type with common sense to bring things into perspective, etc. So either the supporting cast needs to step up or I'm afraid this show will not be around much longer.

April 17, 2009 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Jeremy

Granted, I remember the first season of the Office and how slow it was in developing into the success it is today. I also think that Poehler's one of the better talents that SNL has produced along with Sandler, Ferrell and Fey. However, I would have thought that the Office writers would get it right from the start. My perception of Parks and Recreation so far is that it's a second-rate version of the hit show. To me the similarities between the two are so glaring that it was difficult for me to sit through the first episode. I don't see it being very successful at all to be honest.

April 17, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  89. SuzyQ

Sorry, I love Amy, but this show is really terrible. I give it a couple more weeks at the most!

April 17, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Sara

I love the show. Definitely plan to keep watching. I think it will gain momentum if given a chance. It's got a great comedic team behind it! Just remember, when "The Office" first aired, it didn't do so to great fanfare, and the first season was only 6 episodes or so. Now, look at its popularity. I hope folks will give the same chance to Parks and Rec.

April 17, 2009 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Dan T.

I think the show has its moments but lacks that hysterically funny moments. Your quotable moments, which The Office has. The huge upside for the show has gotta to be Aziz or Tom in the show. He is absolutley hilarious. He was in scrubs and is in observe and report, he just cracks me up. Hope this show booms for sure.

April 17, 2009 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Rachel

Parks and Recreation is an exact copy of the office. It's almost as if they took the reject episodes from the office script and just changed names and places...oh, and acting abilities. I'm an Amy Poehler fan, but definitely not in this roll.

I give the show one season (maybe less)...

April 17, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Mark G.

I agree: it's hard to rate this one yet. The whole style is a direct copy of The Office and that fact alone is a distraction, as I am always comparing the two. It's also hard to quite accept Amy in this role, as she is so hugely and multiply talented–her history of accomplishment outshines her in this role. (I know that's not fair Amy. You know we love you. If anything you're TOO good.) It's like going back to commercials when you don't have to. Personally I want to see Amy in more movies. I bet she's a very talented actress in serious roles as many comedians are.

April 17, 2009 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Mario

I love the Office – but this show stinks. Amy Poehler looks like she is doing a bad Michael Scott (portrayed by Steve Carell) impersonation.

April 17, 2009 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Ron Romero

Man, I think Amy Pohler is one of the best talents around, I remember her all the way back to early appearances on Conan O'Brian as Andy Richter's little sister, but I have to say, this show is just plain horrible.

It is like they got the bad writers from the Office to come up with characters that are just plain annoying in every way. The office characters work because even in their goofiness, you LIKE them. These characters are just downright stupid, unrealistic, mean, bad stereotypes. I give the show a solid D.

April 17, 2009 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Philip

Not that funny. I don't plan to keep watching.

April 17, 2009 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |