April 7th, 2009

Top 8: Watch 'American Idol' with CNN.com

Tonight, the contestants perform their choice of song from the year of their birth. Well, everyone except youngster Allison Iraheta was born in the 1980s - a decade which also gave birth to MTV and the compact disc.

So get ready for a lot of '80s flashbacks.

Watch "American Idol" tonight along with CNN.com’s Lisa Respers France, who will be blogging live during the show.

Last week saw the not-very-shocking dismissal of Megan Joy. Tonight each contestant is going to have to show us his or her best if they want to escape Megan’s fate.

Watch what CNN Radio's Michelle Wright had to say about last week’s results show.

Who do you think will turn in a strong performance tonight?

Post your comments below, or head over to iReport to submit video of your reactions to the performances.

Your comment or video may appear on CNN!

–Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Filed under: television

1. Linda

Randy the older voter LOVE ADAM I'm close to 60 & I think that he's GREAT

April 7, 2009 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Colleen Simrell

After watching it all, it was the worst week for all of them in my opinion. I totally understand the sympathy factor for Scott, bottom line is he is not a pop star. He showed it in his performance tonight. List of who should go next: Scott, Snoop, Lil, Matt

Top 4: Adam, Danny, Allison and Kris

Adam and Danny in the final.

April 7, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rob

Adam is going to rock , its about time the birth date show came on.....

April 7, 2009 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jay

I feel from last weeks misery Anoop will some how come with a really strong performance like he always does after a disaster. Kris is just amazing and i got to love the guy for his talent. Adam is leading the pack, but still does not have my vote thought. Allison is a nice girl and i encourage her to do the best she can, she still young and has a huge career ahead of her even if AI isn't hers to win. I THINK DANNY IS JUST BLAHHH. Cant understand why people vote for him, and hated how he turned one of my favourite songs"jesus take the wheel" and destroy it. Matt a really nice guy and i like him. I feel Scott and Lil are trailing behind; Lil has to be a bit more smarter if she want a chance at this competition. In conclusion Scott back your bags cause your going home, SORRY.

April 7, 2009 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Randy

Danny is the one to watch. Adam wont get the older vote like Danny can because of his nail polish and modern "Twilightish" look.

Adams fine but creepy.

April 7, 2009 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Francesca

Adam Lambert will dominate as he has and will, week after week after week....He simply is breathtakingly fabulous in all his performances.

April 7, 2009 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Marissa

Kris will do amazing as usual. Adam will do what he does (you either love or hate what this guy does musically and I'm on the hate side. In the end Kris will pick up the votes of voted off contestents and Adam will platue). Allison and Matt should preform well. Lil' just isn't as good as we thought she was in the begining. I don't think Scott will do well either. And who knows with Anoop, He's very spotty.

April 7, 2009 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Barbara

I am pulling for Anoop!! This may be his night to shine. He has great vocals.

April 7, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jill

Kris Allen is on a very close par with Adam Lambert. I see them in the finals. Go Kris!!!

April 7, 2009 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tonyae

I think Danny and Allison will do well. Kris is also a strong performer, and Lil could do well with an Anita Baker ballad..........I hate Adam; he is a total freak!! The rest could go home now...

April 7, 2009 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lam

It's been Adam since day 1!!! I'm nearly 60 and he just blows me away!

April 7, 2009 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jimmy -Gilbert, AZ

Adam and Chris will blow everyone else away.. they are the top 2 finalists hands down!

April 7, 2009 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jason

I know this isn't an 8o's song but adam would be great singing the queen song find me sombody to love as i believe he has the awesome vocals to perform this song.

April 7, 2009 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John

Danny will Jam... And hopefully Anoop will be shown the door. He should have never made top 12... And he needs to be gone.

April 7, 2009 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kale

Kris Allen ALWAYS does amazingly well. He will definitely do the best tonight by far.

April 7, 2009 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Pat

Agreed with Joan, Adam needs to get out of American Idol while he still can! Like I said before, Im sure they already have him on some sort of contract to where he cant just decide to leave the show. He's had enough exposure, I don't wanna see this guy get sucked into the pop venue that American Idol will undoubtedly suck him into. He needs to be fronting a band Mars Volta-esque or even something completely new!

April 7, 2009 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jason

I Think adam will once again be the best he has a voice that can compare to some of the great rock ledgends.

April 7, 2009 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Joan

The same person will dominate that has dominated EVERY week....Adam Lambert. Seriously, the 80s was the decade of hairbands and the great male VOICES of rock. Tonight should be an easy gift and shoe in for the Elvis lookalike. MInd you, he could sing Tiny Bubbles and still make it sound like it came out this morning. Sadly, they may ruin this guy's career by giving him lame songs to sing once he easily wins. Adam needs to be fronting a band and filling stadiums. Either that or get the guy to Vegas!!!

April 7, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  19. sheilah anderson

ONE WORD....................A D A M

April 7, 2009 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  20. George

Allison should be strong. Kris will be strong. Adam will butcher a great song and still inexplicably get lots of votes for screaming. (Please go to Broadway after AI – I'll never make it to Broadway and it will save us from an excruciatingly "artistic" album). If he ever does a straight Queen song (straight as in no rearrangement) – he'll actually find his niche. Adam and the Drama Queen – good 21st century name for a rock-opera band!

Why don't people vote for Allison? I don't get it. Strong voice, can sing anything, admittedly fashion-challenged, but if you vote on voice and potential growth of the artist – she's a can't miss. Well, when she leaves, I hope she finds good people to do her 1st CD – I'm 52, and I'm buying it!

April 7, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Edi

I am looking foward to Allison and Adam sing... They should have co-American Idols this year! Why not? They've changed it all up so far anyway!!!!

April 7, 2009 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Donna

Adam all the way! Can't wait to see what he'll perform this week!

April 7, 2009 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Bobby in AZ

Allison and Adam will dominate. They have the most adaptable voices on the show. Maybe Gokey but he'll come in a distant 3rd.

April 7, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Terri

Adam will dominate as he does every week.

April 7, 2009 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Holly Mills

Adam and Danny will dominate tonight! They are the only 2 consistant ones left! Lil Rounds & Matt Girad continue to pick the wrong songs. If Kris & Allison pick the right songs then they will do well. Scott and Anoop NEED TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 7, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Chief

I'm not looking forward to hearing Adam Lambert screech through another song! Ok, we get it, you can sing high-good for you. Now, could you please tone it down a bit? He's always WAAAAAAY over the top! I'll take 1 Danny Goeke or Matt Giraud over 100 Lamberts any day!

April 7, 2009 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Linda

Adam Lambert will dominate. He never disappoints!

April 7, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kapow

Adam Lambert has got it in the bag.

April 7, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  29. angie

Adam Lambert wins! End the show Now. NO one compares to him.
    He has the whole package. Go Adam! Love ya

April 7, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  30. KELLEY

Allison and Adam are the ones to watch tonight.

Sadly, I think Anoop will be going home after tonight's
    show.

April 7, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Sandy

Adam Lambert . . . who else? He's leagues ahead of all the others.

April 7, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sherrie

I think Adam and the dude with the glasses whose wife passed away...they are both consistent in giving good performances

April 7, 2009 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  33. 1oldcat

I'm sure ADAM will do well!

April 7, 2009 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Brittney

As much as I dislike his singing, I think that Adam Lambert is going to be really good tonight. His hair-band'esque rifs are definitely going to come in handy.

April 7, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Chris

Adam is going to rock out... I've been wanting to hear him sing an 80's ballad... this is his night to leave everyone one behind and become the expected winner. He has proven himself to be in a league of his own, and tonight, he will seal the deal. I am hoping to maybe hear some boston, journey or even scorpions... but really, anything he'll sing will be good.

Now for Danny, he sounded a little bit too much like the lead singer of the original band when the group sang together the other night. If he is smart, he will choose a song inwhich his vocals do not match the original artists'.

I think Alison will also do good tonight... her raspy voice will be perfect for an 80's song (that's if she has to do an 80's [she was born in the 90's] ).

As for the others, all I can say is Good Luck. The 3 contestants mentioned above have the upperhand tonight.

April 7, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  36. AIFan

I would think Adam would have the best performance as he is clearly the best singer, performer, al around.

April 7, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Steve

I think Alison will be strong tonight!!

April 7, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |