April 6th, 2009

Ryan Reynolds on Scarlett Johansson … not

Ryan Reynolds must have been born under the right star. He's handsome, personable and a highly paid movie star.

As if that weren't enough, he's also married to one of the world's most beautiful women, actress Scarlett Johansson.

I interviewed him recently about his latest film, "Adventureland,” in which he plays a bit of a cad. We talked about his role as a guitar-playing handyman at a rundown amusement park. He told me about an old theme park in his native British Columbia called Playland.

"It was primarily drug addicts and pedophiles that hung out there," he joked.

We also discussed his upcoming role in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," one of the summer's most anticipated hits.

But I was itching to ask another question, one that bordered on intrusive. Who wouldn't want to hear his thoughts on life with Scarlett? Ryan and I were old pals by now, having shared a conversation of four minutes. Surely, he wouldn't mind me asking.

But how to phrase it? This is the way I tried to delicately introduce the topic:

"So, how is married life treating you?"

His reply:

"You asked, and I'm not going to answer."

He said it with a smile, as charming as could be. And that was that.

- Matthew Carey, CNN Senior Producer

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

« Previous entry
  1. darren

Is, what kind of response is that?? "if you don't like it, don't read it"? How the heck would you know if you like it or not if you don't read it? Duh!

April 7, 2009 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Benita Lee

If this is the quality of story from a CNN SENIOR producer, I'd hate to see what a junior producer can come up with...

You might want to check your facts, Playland still operates in Vancouver, British Columbia (Ryan's hometown). I am about Ryan's age and I went there every summer as a child and now I bring my own children there. I don't know what the heck he is talking about when he refers to the "drug addicts and pedophiles that hung out there". Just another pointless celebrity "quote".

April 7, 2009 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ls

oh my god! people really need to relax and take a breath. contrary to what everyone is saying, considering all the craziness in this world...its nice to read a silly article and put your mind to rest for a few minutes. if you don't like it, dont read it.

April 7, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bri Guy

With in-depth 'reporting' like this, it's no wonder newspapers are shutting down every other day!

Journalists complain that America's (lack of) attention span mandates that stories be trite and shallow, but as far as I'm concerned, it's the media themselves that perpetuate this myth and I'm reminded every single day I see a pointless poll, sensational or over-hyped 'story' (octo-mom anyone??), or catch glimpse of the madhouse circus that paparazzi have become.

Drop the tabloid journalism and put a little more thought, effort, and most of all, FACT-CHECKING into your stories. You're all so quick to pull the trigger on the 'exclusive' that it's often riddled with inaccuracies.

April 7, 2009 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brenda

Really?! One would assume that a CNN Senior Producer would have a degree in Journalism. We have global warming, a world-wide economic meltdown, wars on multiple fronts, genocide in the Congo, natural disasters galore yet THIS is what CNN opts to use it's resources to report on. Wow.

April 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jp

Well, I'd be much more inclined to ask Scarlett how married live was treating her. I'd be far more interested in her time with Ryan than his with her. She's pretty, but he's hot.

April 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. eep

Why would you even bother to print this?

April 6, 2009 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JOE

LUCKY S. O. B.! MAKES MILLIONS AND SLEEPS WITH SCARLETT EVERY NIGHT! ONLY IN AMERICA! LOL.

April 6, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. malek

you call that an interview.

other than saying "look at me i met Ryan Reynolds" this interview has no subtance.

April 6, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. skeet

Sheesh, the guy should have just said it's going well and thats it. He's not going to answer, he just did, his response makes it sound like they are having problems.

April 6, 2009 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bob

That's not much of a story there Matt.

April 6, 2009 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |