March 1st, 2009

My night with the Jonas Brothers

I have to admit: even though I am way past the "tween" age and consider myself a serious journalist, I enjoy anything pop culture - especially teen movies and TV shows, and my favorite "niece" keeps me up on the latest Disney sensations.

jonas.bros

The Jonas brothers talk to CNN before surprising fans in Atlanta, Georgia, on Saturday.

So when I received a call on Wednesday that the Jonas Brothers were coming to Atlanta this weekend, and was asked if CNN.com would be interested in covering their visit, it was a no-brainer. The Jonas Brothers are huge; you can't pass a magazine rack without seeing Nick, Joe and Kevin's faces. We were sworn to secrecy, no one could know that Atlanta had been chosen as one of the few cities to take part in the "Surprise Theater Invasion Tour."

Saturday was D-Day– or should I say J-day - and the brothers successfully arrived at Atlanta's Regal Hollywood Theater in secrecy.

Our own Brooke Baldwin, our photojournalist crew and I were escorted to a tiny room on the second floor of the theatre. We were given the opportunity to speak with the Jonas Brothers one on one before the big surprise. They were hustled in and could not have been more polite.

Brooke asked them why they were doing the tour. "It's so very important to us to really enjoy all of what we are doing with our fans," Nick Jonas responded. "They are making it all possible."

Joe Jonas talked about the reaction so far to the surprise tour. "We've been to a few cities already today to surprise some fans and it's been amazing, the reactions have been over the top."

They talked about how amazed they were about everything going on in their lives. "There are moments where we are shocked every single day, I think that's what makes it so special for us," Kevin Jonas said. "This is incredible." With all the craziness, they still claim to try and lead pretty normal lives. "We're normal guys, we hang out and go see movies, we go shopping, we like to play golf," said Kevin.

After the interview, the brothers gave a quick press conference, and then we were moved to the theater where their new movie "Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience" was being played to a sold out room of tweens. With all the media cameras set up in the room, the excited girls still had no idea that there was a big surprise coming. They were just excited to see the movie.

Then the Jonas Brothers were introduced, and the girls broke out in giddy screams. My ears are still ringing. Nick thanked the crowd (or at least I think he did, it was hard to hear over the screams). They spoke for about five minutes and waved a quick goodbye before running out the back door to the deserted parking lot in back.

Their mission was a success: they shocked the crowd. "We had no idea," said one young girl. Another went on about why she is such a big fan, saying "their music is really good."

Nick Jonas told us that he and his brothers appreciate all that their fans do (including the screaming and fainting). They feel very loved - and they certainly weren't disappointed in Atlanta. The young crowd showed their love and appreciation, and it was a night I'm sure they will never forget.

Post by:
Filed under: movies • Music

1. michele

i got a dream about nick jonas i stay up all night and all day each day someone special is you all the time be my boyfriend forever please please i love you nick jonas but for who i am when i am with you i do want to have you in my life all the time i see you in my dream i can sleep i see you in my dream all the time because i love you nick jonas are always here for you

February 27, 2011 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. michele

i got a dream about nick jonas i stay up all night and all day i think of you i love you not only for who you are everyday love me your own spwcial way but for who i Am when i Am with you i can sleep i see you in my dream have you into my life is a beautiful feeling ... you made me feel so special with all that you say i want to being with you forever i will keep loving you someone close to your heart is me i Am thinking of you i heart you the way you arei always love you right now Nick jonas ask michele heid out on a real date with me please at 4:00 – 5:00 o clock

jonas brothers is so kind and best person in wide would for all the peaople you have
    i watch you everyday i fell in love with you i Am think about nick jonas i can sleep i see you in my dream someone is you

February 5, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. Formica Sheets ·

Jonas Brothers is very popular right now, they are not only handsome, they also make great music "

November 8, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Marisa

The Jonas Brothers are amazing. That's all I needed to say.

March 23, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lawrence

Ah whatever, my kids like the Jonas Brothers, they'll grow out of it eventually and when in my car I choose what we listen to. I don't buy any of the JB merch for them, they can use allowance money earned by doing their chores for that. At least my kids enjoy the talented musical performances on the old Muppet Show and Sesame Street DVDs.

As far as them playing their own instruments, they have a full backup band with them and you can clearly see they at least don't play their own solos. One kid spends a lot of time strumming and looking like he's really rocking out, but if you watch his hands there isn't much going on.

So yeah I guess they probably do play, but not very well. At least it has my kids interested in picking up an instrument and ask dear old dad for tips.

Soon they'll be able to play better than the Jonas Brothers and maybe they can start paying rent! hehehe

March 21, 2009 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bob from PA

Lighten up people. I am a mid-40s gent and my daughters – preteen and teen – enjoy the Jonas Brothers. They are news – not headline news – but news nonetheless because of their popularity which will come and fade as it does with all bands. These young dudes have a positive message, which is more then can be said for many of the other 'artists' out there. Let them enjoy their year or two of top popularity and don't whine about them if you do not like them. There are enough alternatives out there to satisfy everybody. Lighten up people.

March 6, 2009 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. polytatt

Being a musician... I can tell you music is not about being a good role model. Its about making GOOD music. I can see having a backup guitar, but the whole band??? Whatever happened to playing the music and not dancing like clowns???Anybody who looks up to bands as role models has something wrong with them. What happens when these slip up, get hormones and mess around with one of your tweens?? To the gallows then huh.

March 5, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. di

As a mother of a 13 year old. I took my daughter to see the Jonas Brothers movie . My daughter thought they are amazing and loved the concert me. As a parent, I rather have my daughter be a follower of the Jonas Brothers and some other current no good artist. It is funny though that she has never had any interest in Miley Cyrus. As a 44 year old mother, I thought it was very entertaining. The theater I watched it in Gainesville, atleast the show we went to was not full to capacity. All I do know is that my daughter was calling and texting all her friend that she had watched the Jonas Brothers and all her friends that she was lucky to have been able to see it. At $15.00 during these hard times, it makes me wonder how many girls were not able to go because their parents could not afford it. My daughter plays in the high school band , plays the clarinet and the electric guitar. I consider her to be a rocker and she believes the Jonas Brothers ROCK and so do I!!!.

March 5, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brianna

Also to add i did go on a Saturday.

March 4, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brianna

Ok i love the Jonas Brothers and all but i bet they won't come to Columbus, Ga. Because when i saw the movie they were literally only 8 people in the theatre room. But, I guess if they did come it would most likely sell out. But, hey one can only dream.

March 4, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Marc

*laughing*

I had to laugh at the poster named, "Courtney."

"their music is so inspirational," she says, breathlessly. You must be deluded.

These boys have about as much say or control in their music as you and I have over the weather. Their music is played in the studio by session musicians. They don't write their songs. They don't produce the records.

They're "The Monkees," folks. Nothing more. It's product for the masses. Dumbed-down pablum.

And as for you mothers who say the Jonas Brothers are, "good boys who don't abuse women or do drugs..." you have to be deluded too. Do you really think that? What do you think your daughters want to do with these boys, shake their hands?

As a former road musician, I can tell you unequivocally that these boys are doing a lot more than watching Baby Einstein and reading the Bible. They're teenage boys with raging hormones on the road and unfettered by rule-makers. They have girls (young and mature) throwing panties on the stage. You can really fool yourselves into thinking of them as role models?

Really? Role Models?

Though I guess when your heroes are corrupt politicos and drug-addled celebrities, these guys look good in comparison.

How far we have fallen.

March 4, 2009 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sara

I don't have any problem with the Jonas Brothers at all. I think they are good kids and im glad that the children have someone to look up to who doesn't get involved with the police or do drugs & drink. Would you rather everyone looking up to somebody like Chris Brown who abused his girlfriend, or someon like Brittany Spears who got into so much trouble and sings about dirty things? Maybe they don't have the best music out there but they do appeal to most teens and have some talent. I find it funny that you have to criticize these guys because they dress nice, have a backup band, and care about themselves.

seriously grow up.

March 3, 2009 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Erin

I really like the Jonas Brothers! I really would like an autograph because they are awesome! But I would really like to go to one of their concerts. I always wanted to go to one of them on my birthday whitch is March 23. Also meeting them in person would be awesome as well. I have listened to all of their songs because they are the best. Backstage passes would be the bomb! Also the news reporter needs to work on her spelling.

March 3, 2009 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Marta

To: Arlene Brenner

Seriously... How do you dare point out the author's grammar mistakes, when you can't even spell the word "currently"?

March 3, 2009 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  15. Angry

Just as Miley, If they would sell their concert ticket to their fans and not to all the promoters, we might seem a litlle more friendly twords them.
    My daughter is 11, and I have stood in lines for hours and hours for both to no avail. Try thinking of your fans and not always $$$$$$$$$.
    Are we sending the wrong signal to you and not our children.
    For my daughter, I was offering $500 a ticket for Miley. For the Jonas Brothers, I won't mention it.
    Now, you could send me back stage passes and I would not even think about going to see the Jonas Brothers or Miley.
    Your loss not mine!
    (On a positive note I will say that I appreciate the clean music that they play)

March 3, 2009 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  16. Matthew

Calling the sellouts is a bit strange seeing as they were basically created by the corporate machine to begin with. They are just like the Monkees before them, manufactured pop that plays to the tween crowd. Heck they even have a TV show coming out that highly resembles the Monkees TV show from back in the day. There was nothing wrong with the Monkees and there is nothing wrong with the Jonas Brothers.

Now as far as being "role models", I'm one of those that feel that no celebrity should be a role model. That's the job of parents. Putting these boys in the position of "role model" is setting them up to fail when people start realizing they are human just like the rest of us. The first time they make one little mistake and they go from role models to scapegoats. How about we just admire that they have at least some semblance of morals in their life, but also not hold them to some ridiculously high standard that they are bound to break eventually.

March 3, 2009 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dean

What the hell is a Tween? And if i were a parent i would definetely worry if somebody labeled my kid as a tween. This 3 chord rock band shouldn't be considered great or amazing. If they didn't have the corporate $$$ promoting they're music and image, nobody would know who they were nor would they care to. Don't forget people, even the Beatles played in small dives playing 10hrs a day for god knows how many years before they made it big, in other words they suffered for their art and they devolleped their own sound and originality. THEY STOOD OUT. In other words they influenced a generation, because they had talent. I would also like to point out that when you're a teen your influences and tastes are mostly based on fitting into a social circle, like little cloned Paris Hiltons. Bands like this will just stunt your childs creative evolution, if music like Jazz is appreciated by the intellects of society, bands like the Jonas Brothers ensure the rebirth of another generation of ignorant self centered, materialistic wannabee Zombies. Well we're definately on right track in ensuring that there won't be any Leonard Cohen's left in the world for other generations enjoy.

March 2, 2009 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Anna

I have a teen who is crazy about the Jo Bros. Their music is entertaining and still quite innocent. I see nothing wrong with this and for those Jo Bro haters, who needs you? I find something wrong with those who need to find negativity in clean, fun entertainment.

March 2, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. lovejonas

Ok, first of all, the Jonas Brothers DO play their own instruments...they DO write their own music...and they CAN sing. So for all of you who think otherwise, don't say that stuff until you have the real facts. The Jonas Brothers are a great inspiration to kids AND teens everywhere, and they are role models. If they weren't such an inspiration, or if their music was no good, they wouldn't have the HUGE number of fans that they do indeed have. For everyone hating on the Jonas Brothers..well all I have to say is jealousy will get you nowhere. They are successful, hardworking boys, and haters just can't seem to stop dwelling on the fact that the Jonas Brothers are actually successful in what they do. The Jonas Brothers ROCK!!!

March 2, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Ian

The JB's have no more artistic merit than "crappy" hip-hop, they're just cleaner and appeal to a different audience. People act like it's so hard to introduce kids to clean music that ALSO is made by real musicians. In the end your kids will get a lot more out of it if put them on to something a little more artistic.

March 2, 2009 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. sam

and i agree. In 10 years no one will remember the jonas brothers or miley cyrus.

March 2, 2009 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sam

im not going to lie. The Jonas Brothers are sell-outs. Who was it who said they're as big as the Beatles? Geez such sad times...

March 2, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Blouem7

Clearly people don't get it. I think that it is great that tweens and teenagers have fresh unoffensive music to listen to from fellow kids who work hard and WRITE most of the songs (hence why they are VERY unlike the backstreet boys). You dont hear people calling the Wiggles sell outs because they tailor and style their music to young children so why should teenage kids making music for other teenage kids be called sellouts? If you knew their story- and how they struggled to have their music even heard- you wouldnt say that. I would rather have my children listening to this music over Chris Brown or music with dirty lyrics and such that seems to flood the airwaves. GO JO Bros!

March 2, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Tracey

Ask Kid Kraddick (nationally Syndicated radio show host) based in Dallas 106.1 Kiss Fm about his experience with the Jonas Bros. event here.
    Kid and his assistant were treated horribly.
    made to wait outside in 35 degree cold for over 3 hours after waiting indoors
    they (Jona's Bros.) were supposed to be there between 9-10 , didnt show till after 1am by then the Tween crowds parents had to take them home. (they thought they were a no show)
    Their PR Girls were rude to the Media
    and i can go on but call Kid and get the full Story
    he talked about it this morning

March 2, 2009 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Arlene Brenner

Boring article riddled with errors and mundane quotes. As a writer, I would have asked the Jonas Brothers about the most unusual request they've received from a fan, or what's their most memorable childhood memory.

I am curently unemployed. Amy Engel is still working. Go figure.

March 2, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Pete

I consider myself a rock veteran. I have seen the Stones, Who, Ozzy, Slayer, Metallica, and just about anyone else you can think of. And my kids dragged me to see the Jonas Brothers, or Jobo's as I call them.

Are they great musicians – no! Are they horrible – no way, they are not bad, and they have a good backing guitarist – he's no Dave Mustaine, but he is okay.

Do the kids love them? yes. Why.... because they are just kids. When you were 10 did you have a finely honed sense of musicianship?

Cut them a break!

March 2, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  27. rene

Teenage family "bands" and "stars" come and go, they always have and always will. The exception to this is the Osmonds... Donny and Marie continue to sell out their show in Vegas, the brothers still travel all over the world perfoming, and they've been doing it for 50 years now. The Jonas Brothers will only wish for such a long, successful career in the music business.

March 2, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Howard

As a musician it is quite obvious that the "band" is not the Jonas Brothers, but are actually the talented group who are actually playing their instruments that you catch a glimpse of during tv appearances. It would be interesting to hear what the guitar parts by the actual Jonas Brother's sound like, I'm sure it would raise some eyebrows.

March 2, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Marsh

The Jonas Brothers are a family who sings, plays instruments and writes songs together. They are entertaining, sing well and will stop and thank their fans every chance they get. They sing songs about things in their lives and the things that other tweens and teens can relate to. When you start putting down young artists who have done nothing wrong, you are showing how bitter and jaded you've become. I'm sure that when you were young you were told "you call this music? That's not music! Why in my day...". This is nothing new. This is new music, but yes, they are artists.
    I am in my mid thirties and I like their songs as I like (yes present tense) the BackStreet Boys music. It's a style of music, they cater to those who like this music. The movie was awesome, my daughter loved it. Yes it is expensive, but at least in San Diego, all 3D movies cost $15, not just the Jonas Brothers. GO JoBros!!!!

March 2, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  30. BigTex

The comments posted so far are interesting. To characterize them as sellouts implies that they have musical talent. The Jonas brothers are a made for po boy-band for the tween girls.

These boys played the Dallas Cowboys Thanksgiving half-time show. They couldn't sing and they could play an instrument. It was horrible in person and worse on TV.

It is unfortunate that promoters and labels don't focus on talented individuals that could have staying power and make the transitions with age.

The fact that CNN would actually spend time and money on these boys speaks to where CNN is in the world of news.

March 2, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  31. j

While I am not of an age to like the Jonas Brothers but my daughter is, I want to point out that many years ago the Monkees were the group formed as a pre-fab four. Same thing is the Jonas Bros. So this is not a new thing.

March 2, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Floridian

I agree with you- somehow the idea of a decent group of people being popular is too corney to be "cool". I dont particularly like their music.. but then.. if I were maybe 45 years younger I might.. then there is alot of music I dont like from the "cool people" with Bong in hand.

I say give em a hand.. law abiding decent kids. who care about themselves, their parents and their community- wow.. what a concept.

March 2, 2009 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Mary

Arjun, you really don't get it. Sellouts? As compared to what? The Jonas Brothers are teenage boys making music for teenage girls. They have catchy pop songs that appeal to a particular fan base. What's the problem with that? With my older kids listening to crappy hip-hop songs about drugs and cops and cheap women and one night stands, this is a very welcome respite. And I knew Bill Hicks in my youth and he'd be one pissed off MF to know you quoted him while talking about something mundane as the Jonas Brothers.

March 2, 2009 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  34. asdfghjkl;

I seriously don't see what the big deal is about these guys. It's backstreet boys mania all over again...only for the younger generations. Using products like these as 'rolemodels' for kids today sickens me. They even try to play off the 'purity rings' to bribe parents in. They can't even sing! product. product. product. You'd think they'd do better for the kids.

March 2, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jessica

The Jonas Brothers are great role models for young people around the world. Hopefully they will remain grounded with the help of their family and continue to produce hits for years to come.

March 2, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  36. April

Arjun Sharma: get over yourself already! Did you only read this article in order to make a negative comment. You should have read the title of the article and then skipped to another article that would not offend you so. Everyone has different tastes. Please go enjoy yours somewhere else.

March 2, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Pamala

Wow! 10% of their income??? Too bad they aren't getting much of the $18 my movie theater is charging per ticket to see their movie. I'm the parent who's not taking my kids to see the JB Movie – I refuse to pay $18 per ticket for any movie theater ticket. I do like the Jonas Brothers (as far as kids bands go...) and took my kis to their concert last year. But 18 bucks for a movie ticket?????

March 2, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  38. JOHN

Pathetic....
    Who cares!!!! They have awful voices...just a bunch of marketing crap to make money...the saddest part is.....the folks who listen to this crap and buy it...

March 2, 2009 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  39. sean

They don't even play their own instruments...did anyone see their SNL debut...there was a band behind them playing the music...they basically are on air guitar....makes no difference, they'll disappear just like the rest of the boy bands...but not before they try and become "hard" rockers, because of course they have to grow up and move on to the next genre...mmmh I wonder who will be the first to venture off into a solo career when everyone grows up and realizes the music is horrible

March 2, 2009 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Patricia

Don't take offense to this, but I don't know where else I can go to vent about this. Why do you on "Showbiz Tonight" focus on non-entertainment news stories? I mean can't you guys get away from the stupid "Octumom" crap already?! Maybe we'd like to see other stories on your show besides that big-lipped moron! I could care less about this pile of crap and her stupid babies. Like why not have that story about Bonnie Hunt being dissed by Barbara Walters on "Th View" two weeks ago? And why are you so gender-bias. Even though I'm a woman, I'm offended by how anti-male you are at "Showbiz Tonight". It's always "women-are-fabulous-and-men-are-jerks" on the show.

March 2, 2009 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  41. rcsmmama

I'm reposting my entry with spelling corrections so nobody feels the need to address them:
    I really don’t get the Jonas Brothers haters everywhere. From Arjun Sharma’s post, I gather he knows little about either the Jonas Brothers, their values, or raising kids. My kids are big fans of the Jonas Brothers and both my husband(who’s a metal fan and doesn’t really like pop music-including JB) and I think they are great role models, as do most parents of their fans. We’re happy that our kids have guys like this to look up to. These guys say that their dad is their hero, and that they try every day to make their mom proud. Family is really important to them. They have worked very hard to be successful. They write music and play instruments for themselves. They give 10% of their income to children’s charities. They don't drink, do drugs, abuse women or act self-important. As far as the music goes, artistic taste is really a subjective thing. There is plenty of music out there that I don’t get or that I think is awful, but I don’t tear down the people who created it. To each his own. I honestly think that people hate them, because the Jonas Brothers are able to maintain decent lives, AND be hugely popular AND successful, and most people can’t achieve even one of those things. Envy and bitterness are terrible things, and all of the haters should focus on more important things like getting a grip on their own obvious issues instead of trying to tear these guys down.

March 1, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Courtney

OMG i saw the movie twice!!!! it was soooo amazing because everyone was screaming. everyone was dancing on the seats and signing!!! it was great!!!!!! and lik everyone was dancing together in the front!!!!! i lost my voice i was screamin so loud! THAT MOVIE WAS FREKIN AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there music is such an inspiration! i love my jersey boys <33333

March 1, 2009 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  43. J. Wilkes

The Jonas Brothers are not sell outs. What is wrong with our kids having good clean role models? I think this PR campaign is brilliant.
    I guess you would rather hear stories about them doing drugs, shaving their heads, having breakdowns in public. No thanks! As the mother of three, it makes me happy to know my kids have someone like these three to look up to.
    And as a journalist myself, people make mistakes typing, it happens to everyone!

March 1, 2009 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Todd Leopold, CNN.com Entertainment Producer

error has been fixed – TL

March 1, 2009 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  45. AwesomeHat

THEIR music is really good, not THEY'RE

March 1, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Blinky

Sometimes I just can't help myself.
    From the story: Another went on about why she is such a big fan, saying “they’re music is really good.”

Either the fan said "they are music is really good" or the author has yet to learn the differences between "their", "there" and "they're".

Doesn't CNN have a proofreader?

March 1, 2009 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  47. Arjun Sharma

It kind of makes me sad to read stories like this, especially from serious journalists. The Jonas Brothers are sellouts, and worse- just plain bad. Their image and actions are a negative message to future generations; popularizing a band that sells its artistic message to the highest paying corporation is a musical sin of the worst degree. To quote the late Bill Hicks, "When did mediocrity and banality become a good image for your children? I want my kids to listen to people who ... rocked. I want them to listen to someone who plays from his ... heart!"

March 1, 2009 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |