January 7th, 2009

Nominations everywhere!

Here’s how you know awards season is in full swing: Besides all the honors that are going to be given out – the People’s Choice Awards, the Critics’ Choice Awards, the Golden Globes -  there are a flurry of nominations being announced.

The American Society of Cinematographers named its five finalists. They are “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” “The Dark Knight,” “The Reader,” “Revolutionary Road” and  “Slumdog Millionaire.” Two of the films, “The Reader” and “Revolutionary Road,” were shot or co-shot by the amazing Roger Deakins, who might finally win an Oscar this year. Last year he lost to Robert Elswit, who did the terrific work on “There Will Be Blood.”

The Writers Guild picked its nominees for adapted and original screenplay. In the former category, the nominees are "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," “ The Dark Knight," "Doubt," "Frost/Nixon" and " Slumdog Millionaire.” Original screenplay nominees are “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” (it’s Woody Allen’s 19th WGA nomination), "Burn After Reading," "Milk," "The Visitor" and "The Wrestler."

With “Dark Knight” earning picks in such “prestige” categories - as well as nabbing a Producers Guild nomination for best picture – its chances for major Oscar nominations have risen.

Finally, the NAACP Image Awards nominations went out today. Among the leaders are “Tyler Perry’s House of Payne,” with six, and “Ugly Betty,” with five. Beyonce also received five nominations in music categories.

– Todd Leopold, CNN.com Entertainment Producer, from news services and press releases

Filed under: Golden Globes • movies

« Previous entry
  1. Toni

Hey Pat, just to clarify: You don't want Heath Ledger to be recognized, because he 'did drugs by choice;' instead you think Robert Downey Jr. should win?

January 11, 2009 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. dan

The Dark Knight is my favorite film 2008. I had the pleasure of watching that film and Benjamin Button. Both very good and the acting was top notch in both films, so both are deserving. David Fincher and Christopher Nolan are both one of the best directors today and each film had actors that hold their own. So good luck to both films and let the BEST film win.

P.S. The acting did not suck according to aj, but of course, everyone has right to opinion...Iron Man was good, but the story was too simple in comparison to Button or The Dark Knight!

January 8, 2009 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. doug

aj and steve = flaming idiots.

January 8, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. steve

I too didn't care for the Dark Knight. Heath's performance/acting annoyed me. Iron Man was alot better.
    Perhaps for Oscar buzz,
    I liked 'The Duchess' received **** in local Caliente paper in my town and I agree.
    Another excellent period piece this year was 'The Other Boleyn Girl' which will be ignored too.
    I loved 'The Visitor' and heard 'Vicky Barcelona' is fantastic!

January 8, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. aj

I don't think Dark Knight should have been nominated in any category. The acting sucks all the way around. It should have been a tv movie.
    Iron Man runs over Dark Knight. As for the hoopla regarding Heath Ledger, well he's dead because of drugs. 'nugh said. I could do his part better than him. Paint my face, talk in deep voice, there you have it. If he wins it will be because people pity him, not for his acting.

January 8, 2009 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. Trazey

Awards season is always fun, even if the most over-hyped movies always seem to catch the noms & wins - ie. Slumdog Millionaire, wow it's pretty much the most talked about "little" movie this year and meh, it was OK but nothing special for sure. I hope "Appaloosa" gets a nod at something, Ed Harris & Viggo Mortensen were great in it.

January 8, 2009 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  7. Benst1

Let's not forget the Golden Raspberry Awards. That's a trophy a lot of movies should be nominated for. Let's give the stinkers the dishorable metion they earned!
    I would like to nominate Quantum of Solace for the worst theme song ever used in a James Bond movie.

January 8, 2009 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Fan111

People's Choice awards are bogus. I also remember though when the Golden Globes were not held in great esteem but that has changed. As far as the Oscars go, if Slumdog Millionaire does not win best picture and Heath Ledger does not win best supporting actor, there is no justice.

January 8, 2009 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  9. JG

Thankfully celebrities have no issues celebrating themselves. If not, no one would care. With the number of award shows it is almost like they are trying to find a way to give every entertainer some sort of award. And what is with the racially dividied awards?

January 8, 2009 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. pat

robert downy jr. deserves the award.what kind of messege are we sending if a self induced drug addicts wins...heath..heath doesnt doesnt deserve it.sorry but that is the truth.lets not reward people for being on drugs by choice..

January 7, 2009 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Steve McNaughton

The Dark Knight will not win, nor does it deserve to. It's a very, very good movie but not better than 'Slumdog Millionaire' and from what I've heard not more deserving than Revolutionary Road. Heath is brilliant in it though and will win various awards for his supporting role. (Hard to call it a supporting role when he ran away with the whole movie) It will clean up in categories such as sound, make-up and editing but not a chance of it winning best picture. Overall the choices seem about what I expected. Though I predict now that 'Revolutionary Road' will start cleaning up in the best picture categories and will win the Oscar for best picture. The most deserving film I feel is Slumdog Millionaire but it won't win. It's that "oh, we've covered our buts with nominating a "foreign" film now lets pass it on to the movie about how miserable American suburbanites are. It's going to be 'American Beauty' all over again. I've yet to see it and hear that it's very good but I have this gut feeling it will clean up and a year from now we'll look back and say "you know it was good but quite overrated, I'd rent Mad Men instead". I could be wrong. Just a prediction.

January 7, 2009 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |