December 11th, 2008

What do you think of the Golden Globe nominations?

What an odd set of Golden Globe nominations. But then again, it’s been an odd year, with two of the year’s best films - “The Dark Knight” and “Wall-E” - also two of the year’s biggest financial successes. Yet neither received much attention from the Globes. (Send us an iReport on what you thought of the nominations.)

Heath Ledger - deservedly - gets a nomination, but that’s it for “The Dark Knight.” “Wall-E” gets shoved into the best animated film category; apparently, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association didn’t want to also give it a best comedy or musical nod. (“Wall-E” may face the same problem from the Academy Awards.)

Woody Allen’s “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” picks up a bunch of nominations (including best comedy or musical), but none for Mr. Allen - not even a screenplay nod. Sean Penn gets a nomination for “Milk,” but there’s none for director Gus Van Zant or the film itself. “Doubt” has its entire cast nominated, but can’t squeak into the best drama category. (In the case of “Doubt,” many critics would agree: the film has earned praise for its acting, but writer-director John Patrick Shanley has been criticized for his direction and the stagier elements of his Tony Award-winning script.)

So what did you think? It’s been pointed out over the years that people are more willing to watch awards shows if they have a rooting interest. That’s not necessarily a reason for nominating box office successes, but this year - when “The Dark Knight,” in particular, has earned high praise from critics - it’s strange that the HFPA would leave it off their list. (Let me add that I haven’t seen many of the nominated films, some of which haven’t opened in Atlanta yet, so I’ll reserve judgment on their quality.)

So, at the least, the Globes are risking alienating possible viewers. And yes, awards shows are supposed to honor "the best" - but if you think politics and popularity doesn't enter into nominations, you're living in a different world.

Add your comment below or send us an iReport .

Filed under: Celebrities • Golden Globes • movies

Next entry »
  1. 2011 Model

wow

February 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kay

I think it is more about popularity than real substance. Some of the ones nominated aren't great actors at all, but they sure got a lot of media attention this year.

January 22, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. judy

This is just the beginning of alot of Hollywood liberals doing their back patting. I just hope the ratings on these fake shows keep dropping so there will not be so many on TV. I also hope their arms do not get too soar from all the patting.

January 14, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rik Kennedy

Oscars, Emmys and Golden Globes are worthless, who cares what journalists or actors pat their buddies back and give them an award. People's Choice Awards mean much more.

January 12, 2009 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. Josh W

I think it is Kate Winslet's year to finally bring home the hardware. She should win for Revolutionary Road. Anne Hathaway's time will come. Actually, Anne Hathaway's ex-boyfriend should get a Golden Globe too.

January 7, 2009 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mark

Who watches this crap anymore? Also why in gods name do people care about this?

January 3, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LTJ

They always nominate movies no one watches...I guess thats what makes you a great actor.

December 31, 2008 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. budo

AWFUL!! Not worth my time watching!

December 29, 2008 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bella

i don't like tom cruise and have no desire to see his new movie. i have, however, heard very favorable remarks regarding his performance in 'tropic thunder'. phillip seymour hoffman is always a star no matter actor/or supported. heath ledger had a great performance, just not sure it is oscar worthy. meryl streep is a given. wall-e was wonderful and brilliant! tv wise: 2 1/2 men – still don't see what the big deal is about it. same as how i met your mother. ncis is one of the best, w/er and the original law and order. svu, ci are also very good. deserving a golden globe nom or win should go to the closer, leverage, the mentalist, and the big bang theory! game show: are you smarter than a 5th grader. you never know what will happen.
    that's all i've got for now. i will watch and see.

December 26, 2008 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TOC

I saw "Benjamin Button" today and I am still trying to figure out why it is getting all the hype. It was far too long and tedious for the most part. I have never been against longer movies so long as the story is moving and keeps me interested but this one flat out stalled and an hour could have been easily cut out.

The movie was ok but was NOT as great as they claim it is. If you are choosing between the moive and a nap, take the nap at home to save your movie money.

December 25, 2008 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nancy

WALL-E is the most unique, touching, and heartwarming love story to come along in a millennium! It deserves the highest honors bestowed in the film industry. If you have only seen it once, you need to see it again several times to experience its full impact. Those who have discounted it are missing one important human ingredient- A HEART!

December 24, 2008 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Patricia Schurman

I agree with the nomination for HBOs / TRUE BLOOD.
    This is the best thing to come along since Dexter.
    Nelsan Ellis as LaFayette Reynolds is just the best and should have been nominated.
    Love, love, love this show.

December 24, 2008 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. CP

Not sure why The Dark Knight did not get a nod! It definitely deserved a Best Picture Nomination. Hopefully, the Oscar's will get it right! Christopher Nolan also deserves a nod for great direction.

December 23, 2008 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pamela

I am such a BIG fan of Kate Winslet's! I am excited to see she is nominated for Revolutionery Road and The Reader! I would like to see her win!

December 22, 2008 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Don

You people are all dopes.

The Golden Globes are a joke to real people.

Most of the movies (you probably call them "Films") haven't been
    released, and their nominaitons are based on studio money and
    star reputation.

December 22, 2008 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Dan I

MILK is the best film of its kind in years, if not decades. The "bio of a great man" genre usually leads to pretty dull film making, but Gus Van Sant pulled it of spectacularly. It would be nice if the GGs could just be laughed off, but they do, sadly, have name recognition, which leads to the continual perpetuation of their "relevance."

December 20, 2008 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Smarter Thanyou

Never seems to amaze me how many are totaly full of themselves. How many go to church or services to thank God? Most just say "I'd like to thank myself". I rather feed my dog than watch Globe BS.

December 20, 2008 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
  18. Lee

All awards shows are horrible, for people who have too much time on their hands.

December 19, 2008 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Paven

The Golden Globes are good for several reasons. One, they are voted by the press corps. They more than anyone other group would know who gave the best performances (in my humble opinion) and second, it gives individuals in the same category who may have given great performances equally a chance to nab an award for great work.

December 19, 2008 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Raymond

There down to earth and I get a good laugh.

December 19, 2008 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  21. Bill

Hey! I'm still reeling from "The Wire" getting no love! The focus of my anger now is great character actor Richard Jenkins not getting a nod for "The Visitor"!! Shame, shame!!

December 19, 2008 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  22. Sara

Dark Knight should have received many more nominations.

RIP Heath Ledger x3

December 18, 2008 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  23. jim

the globes are a joke. they never look at the movies through out the year.....they only look at the movies in the last few months...which really stinks...cause well there were a lot of good movies in 2008

December 18, 2008 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  24. roxana

i really like the movie dark night and i also thought it was a very good movie overall, which is why it's upseting to see that it didn't get a lot more nominees. But then again i think the Golden Globes are always overrated and a hoax. It's all about the red carpet fashion anyways. It's unfortunate that if Heath does win he wont be here to accept it :[

December 18, 2008 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Splum

RDJ!!!! YESSSSS!!!!!

December 18, 2008 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  26. Daniel

Some of these nominations were a little odd. Tom Cruise? Still like him, waiting for Valkyrie, and liked his role in Tropic Thunder, but that film was not good at all. The Dark Knight probably should have received a few more nods, at least one for best director. Seems these nods are based on commercial success or name recognition instead of the acting. James Franco is good but havent seen Pineapple Express. Probably more worthy in MILK. I'm expecting Sean and Heath to pull in some wins, Kate Winslet I hope even though I havent seen The Reader. She's just that good it doesn't matter. Kristen Scott Thomas would be a refreshing surprise. Always liked her. Now we just have to wait to see the Oscar nods. I'm sure the balance of reality will shift.

December 16, 2008 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  27. theotherbaconbrother

I LOVE most Pixar films. Both Toy Sory movies are among my all time favorites. If Wall-E is the first Pixar to get nominated or even worse win best picture my head will explode. It is a middling Pixar effort at best. The whole story after arriving on the space ship was silly and not upto Pixars usual exacting standards. I thought the animation was very run of the mill as well. I imagine it would be like a Scorcese fan watching The Departed win...the only reaction would be "...really?"

The Dark Knight not being nominated is just foolishness.

December 16, 2008 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  28. McWolcott

And I agree with above, Nelsan Ellis should have been nominated for True Blood.

December 16, 2008 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  29. McWolcott

I loved In Bruges and hope it wins everything it's nom'd for.

Also really hope either Dexter or True Blood wins, and MCH for best actor in a drama for Dexter.

Heath certainly shouldn't have a problem winning, he should have won for Brokeback.

December 16, 2008 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  30. mdegge

You know what cracks me up. Mad Men. This show gets all this acclaim and all these award nominations.....and yet still no one watches it. Everytime I turn around I hear about the low ratings it gets, which always comes attached with an asterisk saying, "But it's a great show!" Obviously the general public doesn't agree.

December 14, 2008 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
  31. mdegge

“At least the director wasn’t using gratuitous violence to shock. He was using it to make some interesting observations about good versus evil, morality, terrorism and rules of society.”

Good point, especially considering that the violence in Dark Knight never reached an over the top level. Yes there were lots of explosions and terrorism, but do you really recall seeing much blood? A lot of it was implied violence.

December 13, 2008 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  32. bri

Elizabeth Moss, the biggest oversight. If you havent seen Mad Men, start renting it now.
    As for True Blood i did a recent viewing marathon and loved it.
    So much better than Twighlight. I am also on the "Lafayette" bandwagon. Emmy nod it is.
    And what the hell happened with Melissa Leo from Frozen river, that was the rawest performance this year, so reflective of our hard economic times.

December 12, 2008 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  33. Pamela

I am so so HAPPY to see Kate Winslet nominated for not one but two catogories. Hopefully this is her winning year because she deserves it. She is the best actress and so talented and beautuful!

December 12, 2008 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  34. B

I am in agreement with those that say hollywood awards are becoming less and less relevant. IMO, all these alleged "prestige" movies that come out in the late fall/ early winter–that very few people seem to see–are not a good representation of the greater whole. I suppose every person has different tastes and different reasons for watching movies, but I think we are all ultimately looking for ENTERTAINMENT. I say they need to dwell on the talent to "ENTERTAIN," not just the talent to "ACT."

And quite obviously, "prestige" movies don't necessarily entertain people, otherwise they'd have more viewers/ fans.

"Blockbusters" come and go, many of which are just pure spectacle, no substance, and therefore are often ignored by "prestigious awards ceremonies." This year, however, saw the release of several great blockbusters, some of which were HIGHLY CRITICALLY-PRAISED, and one of which became the second highest-grossing film of all time. And the GGs hardly seem to notice.

Because of this, IMO, a film that is not only A) "a blockbuster," but is B)highly critically-praised, AND C) has great acting/ directing, should be placed LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of so called "prestige" movies that just has good acting. Come on! It's SIMPLE LOGIC.

I guess it's a sign of the times. As our culture progresses, grows, and becomes more and more diversified, it's just not going to be possible to satisfy a good number of people, let alone everyone.

December 11, 2008 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  35. John E Lexington KY

Streep will win for "Mama Mia"; then she won't be nominated for Oscar for it but may win for "Doubt".

GG are to art what People Magazine is to journalism. Different world. Tom Cruise? I think they nominated the fat suit.

December 11, 2008 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Andrea

Certainly glad they did not give that worthless excuse for a man a nod. Woody Allen belongs in jail, not being given accolades by the foreign press.

December 11, 2008 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Rick

I wasn't surprised that Dark Knight received so little attention. Except for the death of Ledger, it would not have done remotely as well as it did at the box office. His death created a lot of buzz. Some of the scenes were so confusing that I felt they hadn't finished filming at the time of Ledger's death and had to do the best with what they had. It was a decent movie but not great.

December 11, 2008 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  38. JohnMac

Who Cares?

December 11, 2008 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Michael

I'm personally bored with this years nominees. There is no one to be really excited for, other than hoping Heth Ledger will win his category. Movies were obviously so bad this year, we had to have people from Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Exppress nominated for awards. Not to mention TWO actress, nominted for two awards in two different categories. Half of these movies I haven't heard of. When it comes to the TV categories....HELLO has anyone heard of NBC, ABC, CBS or FOX.? We could count the number of overall nominations from these stations on two hands. A major part of the television nominations went to cable, HBO & Showtime shows.

It's sad to say that our movie and television programing has been really bad lately. Shows we are dedicated to and rally root for aren't nominated or are being cancelled. Hollywood needs a major overhaul!! We need the fun, the excitement back. Give us something to hope and root for!

December 11, 2008 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  40. aschatte

Its great to see A.R.Rehman getting nominated for best music. He totally deserves a nomination finally. Hope he gets the academy nod as well

December 11, 2008 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  41. William

Why no mention of the 3 nominations for The Wrestler? Mickey, Tomei, and Bruce. Not "Hollywood" favorites? Talk shows have barely mentioned them, if at all. Just Brad, Brad.,Brad, Angelina, Angelina, Angelina. Kalifornia was Brad's last good movie. Angelina's.....has she had one?

December 11, 2008 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Bo Johnson

It doesn't suprise me about "The Dark Knight" or "Wall-e". The various awards shows seem to push comic book movies and animated movies to a back burner all to often. If a movie is good, it's good, end of story. How can you ignore it because of the "type" of movie it is? "The Dark Knight" was an all around great movie, and should at least be considered for various awards. "Wall-e" was amazing, Pixar created a movie that kept millions entertained with very little dialouge, to me that says something. The various awards programs should start really looking deeper into a movie, not at it's cover or at it's box office millions.

December 11, 2008 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Eva

The whole movie industry is pathetic. The GG only look at white actors and overlook very talented black actors. Just in the past few years, the Academy Awards finally recognized talented black actors. I feel so sorry for black actors because there just isn't enough good roles to go around. I'm glad for Viola Davis. She was fantastic in "Doubt"!! Nominating Tom Cruise is the biggest joke of the year and that's the category he should win for.

December 11, 2008 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Sarah

Very happy to see Michael C. hall and 'Dexter' nominated again. I just hope MCH brings it home this year...

December 11, 2008 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  45. raul pozo

i am very pleased True Blood recieved two nominations, but it's
    supporting cast deserved recognition. The snub of Mary Louise Parker
    from Weeds, let's be real. Film "Hunger" and actor Micheal Fassbender, should have been nominated, along with Kate Beckinsale and Vera Farmiga from Nothing but the truth. I hope Emmys and Oscars prove different...

December 11, 2008 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Jonathan

Yawwwwwnnn. Didn't they just have these awards last week?

December 11, 2008 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  47. KirkLinn

Top movies if you look at Per Screen Per Week open As per the top 11 at the box office as of this weekend are
    #1. MILK (yet no nod for best) $21,638.71 99 screens/2 weeks
    #2. Twilight $12,744.21 3620 screens/3 weeks
    #3. Quantum Of Solace 3423 screens/4 Weeks

Sadly Milk was 11th
    Twilight was 2nd
    Quantum Of Solace was 5th

December 11, 2008 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Kelly

I can't help but say that I wish Heath Ledger had the Best Actor nod for Dark Knight. Although the Joker might be considered a supporting role, in this movie The Joker was the main focus of the movie. I like Batman and all but come on, who can not say that The Joker was the driving force of Dark Knight. Ledger should win an award, any award for his amazing portrayal but I wish it was best actor instead of supporting.

December 11, 2008 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Ellablack

This stuff is such garbage, theres so many important issues going on, awards for rich celebrities should be obsolete by now. Take the money, time and resources that make these stupid shows happen and make a difference in something meaningful.

December 11, 2008 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Tisha

I agree with Mary. Lafayette on HBO's True Blood is absolutely that show;s best character. He brings a whole new dynamic to the typical homosexuality role...

December 11, 2008 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Ptucker in Houston

Who cares??? Everyone knows these things are political and don't matter much to anyone that's not in the business. I say take them off the air altogether and run feature films in their places......awards shows (ALL of them) should be scratched from any TV line up.

December 11, 2008 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  52. jackson

Oh, and what of Richard Dreyfus in "W"? His Dick Cheney was the best thing about that movie!

December 11, 2008 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  53. jackson

Am surprised Amy Adams got a nod for Supporting Actress. She's not in the same league w/ Streep, Hoffman, and esp. Viola Davis in "Doubt." And where's Clint Eastwood as actor for Gran Torino? He's sure getting a lot of strong buzz for that role. I thought Emma Thompson in "Brideshead Revisited" was terrific, but that didn't make much of a dent at the box office.

December 11, 2008 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  54. ia

The Golden Globes showed no love for Gus Van Zant (director of "Milk"), actress Melissa Leo ("Frozen River"), Darren Aronofsky (director of "The Wrestler"), Jack White's song from "Quantum of Solice," "Lost" and its amazing cast, "The Wire," Harvey Keitel from "Life On Mars," But, as always, way too
    much love for Anjelina Jolie.

December 11, 2008 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jenn

Im happy with some of the nominations- esp that of Slumdog Millionaire– what a fantastic film!!!

The rest Im ok with, aalthough I agree MILK should have been nominated- Im on shock it wasnt.. Havent seen Doubt yet, but Im sure the performances are nothing short of stellar..

my real disappointment is with the Foreign Films.. Theres an Indian movie called 'Taare Zameen Par' ('Stars on Earth' as they translated it– and not poetically either.. so it sounds corny..) that was SO fantastic and wonderful.. moved me to tears.. and it was in the submission list and not nominated...

People dont always know a good film when they see one.. this one had a social message and did exceptionally well. parents, children and teachers alike should watch this movie... its good for the soul.

December 11, 2008 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Silver

I find that these nominations are nothing more than a joke to most people and the group who made these selections are probably sitting back laughing at the world. These folks are simply taking money and lots of of it from the highest bidder so their movie will be selected.

Few of the nominations have anything to do with excellence in directing, writing or acting. If this selection process is not based on bribes, then why do movies get nominated before they are even released. Are we to assume a group of old, fat bald men and women sit in a room, watch an early showing? Hardly, they wait for the money bribes to start.

People should ban and boycott the Golden Globes when they are televised. Boycott all companies that have commercials during the golden globes. The foreign press is a laughable bunch of fools. If we were to actually take their recommendation as the only movies to see....then ticket sales would drop dramatically.

brangelina nomination....a joke. no acting found in their movies....I guess they bought their nominations with the money they received from the rag-mag tabloid fodder..people magazine!

December 11, 2008 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Maggie

Boring come on...really who nominates these? Who are some of these people, movies, drama's...etc..... I won't be turning in..no one who got nominated intereste me really.

December 11, 2008 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Johnny

"At least the director wasn’t using gratuitous violence to shock. He was using it to make some interesting observations about good versus evil, morality, terrorism and rules of society."

Very good point, MindyM!

December 11, 2008 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  59. james

Regardless of what you think about Wall-E or the Dark Knight, the reality is we are amidst one of the worst recessions in 20 years, people are losing their jobs at a historical rate and people are losing their homes. Yet Nolan and Ledger come with a movie that gets people to drive to the movie theatre and turn their movie into a near billion dollar phenomenon. You can not deny the importance of a movie that can do this.

Without movies like these there wouldn't be an industry to celebrate. It's not the box office success, per se, that I ama ddress here but the fact that it can pull in legendary numbers amidst a legendary recession that needs to be recognized.

And yet it's tied with one nomination with Pineapple Express.

December 11, 2008 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Jake 007

Spoiled Hollywood –

Heath Ledger may be the lucky one!

December 11, 2008 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  61. NK

I am happy to see A. R. Rahman on the list. Hope he wins, he is my favorite music director.

December 11, 2008 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Janie

I always think it's weird when a film's actors all get nominations (Doubt) but then the director and film get nothing.

December 11, 2008 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  63. MindyM

I am thrilled that Heath Ledger deservedly got a nomination for his performance as the Joker in Dark Knight, but disappointed that the movie itself and the director were not also nominated. Let me say that I am speaking as someone who has traditionally despised the so-called comic book genre of movies. However, I have a great deal of admiration for Christopher Nolan for crafting and brilliant, compelling, intelligent piece of cinematic genius and elevating this type of movie to a level of grandeur and achievement unlike any that I have seen.

Just because a movie is a commercial success is not a reason NOT to nominate it, either. The idea that this movie has any more violence than other movies nominated recently, is just patently absurd. At least the director wasn't using gratuitous violence to shock. He was using it to make some interesting observations about good versus evil, morality, terrorism and rules of society. I thought it was great entertainment and smart movie making at its best.

December 11, 2008 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Phyl

I was very unhappy with the television nominees. Why "Boston Legal", "Heroes", "Medium", & "Saving Grace" were not nominated is beyond me. "Mad Men" is the most boring show on televison & the acting is far from spectacular. The same goes for "30 Rock". I enjoy Tina Fey, but the show is highly overrated.

December 11, 2008 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Hazen

That THE DARK KNIGHT only got nominated for 1 award is simply highway robbery. Of course, given award committees' penchant to pick "high art" films that bore the pants off of the average film goer, this is no surprise. The fact that THE DARK KNIGHT was one of the best films reviewed this year, as well as the biggest hit should have merited it much more consideration.

The Golden Globes are a joke.

December 11, 2008 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Elmyr

Not that I think many people care about this movie, but I was thrilled to see Happy-Go-Lucky nominated, along with star Sally Hawkins. Director Mike Leigh is an utter genius. It was certainly my favorite movie of the year, and her performance was devastating. I'd love to see her and the movie win everything this year, but the movie likely didn't reach a wide enough audience to garner Oscar noms. Shame. At least the Golden Globes got this right.

December 11, 2008 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Pen

I think it's a good quality movie year, lots of choices. But has anyone heard of this Dustin Hoffman movie "Last Chance Harvey?"

December 11, 2008 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Jackie in Dallas

Since I haven't seen a goodly number of the movies nominated, and rarely watch commercial TV at all, I'm not sure I have much of a valid comment except this: I rarely pay attention to critics OR awards. I like making up my own mind about what I see or read or hear. I do occasionally watch the awards shows, just for a laugh now and then. I've surprised myselves on occasion when I find that I've actually picked the winner in a tightly contested award race and someone else was the favorite. Even a blind monkey (me) can occasionally find a banana, it seems.

I do agree that the nominations seem to reflect the politics of the entertainment industry (and I don't mean democrat vs. republican, but the power politics you get whenever you get a group of people together). One of my favorite genres, science fiction, is rarely considered for any serious awards other than special affects, while the music, screenplays, directing and acting can be just as good if not better than "serious" movies; while I think Woody Allen is overrated, although he does have a talent for pulling together absolutely first rate casts. Same reasoning, Barbra Streisand, who is a gifted director, never gets a nod for that. The year that the entire cast of "The Mirror Has Two Faces" got nods, and even the film got a nod, but not Barbra is a good example. Or, for that matter, why Robert Altman, one of the most innovative directors rarely gets a directorial nod either.

I think the nominations are more interesting by the omissions than by who actually got one...

December 11, 2008 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  69. RyMan

Happy to see Vicky Cristina Barcelona on the list. Great film. A bit disappointing on Milk, but at least they are there in other catagories.

December 11, 2008 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  70. John

What happened to 21/2 men, and NCIS, Mark Harmon? This 30 Rock and Alex Baldwin is a joke.

December 11, 2008 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Heather

I can't believe there are no nods at all for Australia. I think Brandon Walters (Nullah) should have been given a (supporting) nod. It's not often a 12 year old can carry an entire movie.

As for Heath Ledger, I'm glad he got a nod. He deserved it, but The Dark Knight was not that great... I'm not surprised they didn't get a nod for best picture.

December 11, 2008 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Michelle

"Mamma Mia" is a great stage musical, but the movie was horrible. A nomination is laughable.

The bottom line is the Golden Globes are a joke. Ninety self- absorbed "journalists" vote and somehow Hollywood cares? Well, I think even they know it's a joke but they use it to hopefully sell their films. it's a media ploy.

We don't care. There was no ceremony last year because of the strike and honestly...did anyone miss it? I didn't.

December 11, 2008 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Kendra

I am surprised that Happy-Go-Lucky was nominated. That has to be one of the worst films of all time. There were very few people in the theater where I saw it, but we nearly all walked out after about 1/2 hour. The main action (if you could call it that) all appeared to be improvised and every scene went on way too long.

December 11, 2008 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Namourah

I was happy to see Robert Downey Jr. receive a nomination for his role in Tropic Thunder. It's definitely well deserved. Tom Cruise getting nominated for his role in Tropic Thunder, on the other hand, is a bit of a stretch. His part was entertaining but not award worthy. I'm totally disappointed that Tropic Thunder wasn't nominated in the Best Comedy/Musical category. How did that happen? It was the funniest movie of the year!

December 11, 2008 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  75. JD

No Nelson Ellis, no Taraji P. Henson, no Wire, but Robert Downey Jr? Really? I'm sickened

December 11, 2008 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Jason

I'm glad that Dark Knight got at least one nod... that being said I think it should have gotten a little bit more.

And I agree with one of the posters about True Blood, the actor who plays Lafayette is awesome.

And why isn't BSG not nominated for a drama? It fits the category and it is actually a good show.

December 11, 2008 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Bill

The rating system in the USA is a joke. How can Batman and Mamma Mia get the same rating? Other countries have more sense and rated Mamma Mia for all audiences.

December 11, 2008 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  78. mike

the globe and emmys are stupid they always snub the wire

December 11, 2008 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Bill

"Mamma Mia" was a great movie and Meryl Streep was brilliant. I had no interest in "Batman", and never saw it. I'd rather hear the great music of ABBA, and see the beautiful scenery of a Greek Island, then go see a dark, loud, freak show.
    Can't wait to get the "Mamma Mia" DVD Dec. 16th.

December 11, 2008 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Bladerunner

It is the Golden Globe Awards after all.......anyone remember Pia Zadora ??? Should not be taken too seriously !

December 11, 2008 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Salsa

Very disappointed that Simon Baker of "The Mentalist" didn't get a nomination. He's phenominal in this role and definitely should have been recognized. You've really antagonized a lot of Simon fans.

December 11, 2008 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Dre

Overrall I thought the nominations were on point, I was surrprised that Reader made it in over Milk. Glad to see the love for In Bruges which came out back in February. The Wrestler, Revolutionary Road, Benjamin Button all look great, they just need to hurry up and come out in theatres! Slumdog Millionaire and Milk were very good.

Oh, and just because a movie makes a lot of money at the theatre does not mean it is a great movie. Jackass was the #1 movie when it came out several years back, do you think it deserved an Oscar. Thank goodness for the Oscars who are the one award show remaining which actually award talent and great performances and not how much money a movie makes.

December 11, 2008 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  83. c.e.

This year's GG is a lot like the way 2007 has been...all over the place with focus put in areas that confuse us. The grammys are the same way too. And with the way 2009 is shaping up I suspect that SURVIVOR: the movie may be in the running for Best Picture next year.

December 11, 2008 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Mick McGurk

It seems ridiculous to announce awards for films that are yet to be release. yes ok so the foreign press may have been wined and dined by the various studios but it does seem a bit hollow to award a film that hasn't even hit the big screen yet. Of the big 5 Dramas 3 will be released over Christmas, the other two in the last month. What happened to all the other dramas the preceeded these this year. Were they really that bad.

It would seem the foreign press have the attention span of a goldfish.

The Golden Globes is a studio bought award.

December 11, 2008 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Jeff

"Milk" not up for best picture, screenplay, or director is a huge oversight.

The only thing that would have made that omission worse, though, would have been Dark Knight on the list.

Loving Slumdog, too, so glad to see that getting all the attention it deserves.

I fear "Milk" may have gone "full retard," though (to borrow a phrase from Tropic Thunder), since it is such a sausage factory of nearly all gay characters, and the main/only heterosexual character is a murderer.

I think people rather the gay murder infiltrating a heterosexual story, a la Talented Mister Ripley.

December 11, 2008 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Leslie

The Wire, anyone? Obama's favorite.

December 11, 2008 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  87. John Sanchez

I am also quite disappointed (though not in the least bit surprised) that the Foreign Press didn't take a risk and nominate one of the best performances of the year – Richard Jenkins in "The Visitor." While Langella, Penn and Rourke are deserved I think Jenkins should have nudged out either DiCaprio or Pitt. Kudos to the poster who suggested Melissa Leo for ""Frozen River" as well.

December 11, 2008 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Chris

Where's Walton Goggins from his incredible performance on The Shield ?

December 11, 2008 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  89. joe cooke

Stupid. Mostly movies few have heard of. Great way to get a big audience on award night. No wonder the award shows are circling the drain.

December 11, 2008 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  90. John Sanchez

In my mind "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" was the best comedy of 2008. How it got overlooked for a Best Picture nod over the wayyyy overrated "Mamma Mia" is beyond me. While I thought James Franco was decent in "Pineapple Express" I wish Jason Segal had gotten in the top 5 instead.

December 11, 2008 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Dave

I will keep it brief: Heath Ledger would have been robbed had he not been give a nod. However, "The Dark Knight" is one of the best films I have ever seen. In fact, I think it is the only film noir epic to come out in my 35 years of life of such quality. It's not a super hero movie, its a crime drama with sweeping noir tones. I will make sure I see the other nominee, but I already feel "Knight" and Nolan were robbed.

Also, I am surprised with the "Pineapple Express" nod, haven't seen it yet, but I guess it must just be that good...

Also, on the writer who brought up Alfonso Cuaron- he is a great director, indeed. His skill is impressive and I love the lens through which we see his films. But the man can't END a film to save his life. Everything always ends so aburptly- from "Prisoner of Azkaban" to "Children of Men"...

December 11, 2008 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Ross Arias

I am offended the HFPA did not nominate The Dark Knight for Best Picture Drama, Best Director and even Best Score. The Golden Globes are usually the award show that is not as uptight and pretentious as the Academy Awards so one would think you would see The Dark Knight nominated in more categories. Although it is not the typical award winning movie it is by the far best one out this year. The only one that maybe is even be on the same level is Slumdog Millionaire. Hopefully this does not effect a run for future nominations and ultimately the Oscar. It would be a huge disappointment.

December 11, 2008 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  93. elder darius

The perfect example of this is between Shawn and i, because i loved Wall-E. It is one of my favorite movies of all time. i recently saw Citizen Kane, said to be the best film of all time. Many say it is, others say it sucks, i say it was revolutionary at the time it came out no other director used those camera angles then. We won't ever all agree!!

December 11, 2008 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Paul

To have True Blood as a best drama TV series and not Lost or The Shield is just mortifying. Losing a lot of credibility, gang.

December 11, 2008 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Munchkyn

Not ONE nod to "Chuck" or "Pushing Daisies"? No wonder these awards are losing their prestige.

December 11, 2008 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  96. TJ

Does anyone care what the Golden Globes select? What qualifications do 80 people from the so called foreign press have to rate movies anyway? A snub from the Globes doesnt necessarily mean a person or film wont be nominated for an Oscar. The Globes are only about 50% accurate as barometers for Oscar nominations or wins. One could argue about what qualifications Academy members have, but at least they work in the industry and there are THOUSANDS of them voting, not 80..........

December 11, 2008 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  97. elder darius

Clearly, it's all politics. We all go to the movie theatre to watch movies to be entertained for as long as the movie lasts, just to be taken away for a while from our everyday lives. Awards are vanity. It doesn't matter. Everyone has their own opinion of who is the best actor, the best movie. We won't ever all agree on one, for we all differ in many ways!
    i am not a professional critic. What i say doesn't matter. But i blog it on here anyway, if anybody cares to read it.

December 11, 2008 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Matt, Ca

MILK was entirely robbed. Sean Penn deserves every nomination he's getting. However, Tom Cruise's nomination for what is essentially a cameo/walk-on role, is a slap in the face to the numerous deserving supporting roles in MILK (I will accept that James Franco's nomination for the mind-numbingly bad PINEAPPLE EXPRESS was a concession for him not getting the supporting nod). I think that the Academy Awards nominations will be vastly different than the Golden Globes, mainly because the Foreign Press is seeing things from a different point of view. MILK and WALL-E resonate with a large chunk of American audience because they are telling stories that connect specifically to us. Plus, I've got my fingers crossed that they at least use these films to make a political statement in the nomination process.

December 11, 2008 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Jack

Nobody watches anymore. Box Office does not rise or fall on the results anymore. When you have so many awards events in this industry that this time of year becomes known as "Awards Season", you know that the end is nigh.

Awards interest will continue to dwindle, until such time as the networks stop broadcasting them (in the face of distinct lack of interest from advertisers), or the PGA, DGA, WGA, HFPA, and SAG strike a deal with the AMPAS, effectively merging all the awards into one big event. Now, THAT would be something worth watching, I imagine. However, I'm afraid that my imagination is the only place such a possibility will ever reside...

December 11, 2008 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Shawn

Wall-E was, in my opinion (and it seems I'm the only one on the planet to feel this way), Pixars WORST release-to-date. If that movie had been their first release (instead of Toy Story), I may have liked it more. As it was, it seemed like a total rip-off of soooo many other stories and movies. I found very little originality in the film. Yes, it was a beautiful film to watch, but I found it boring and slow. Kung Fu Panda surprised and entertained me so much more as an animated film.

Granted, I am also in the minority that felt that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was a total waste of time. That movie, too, was filmed beautifully, but the story made absolutely no sense to me and is my absolute least favorite of the series. I guess for critics, though, Alfonso Cuaron can do no wrong, so YAY for him.

As for The Dark Knight, the only fun and/or interesting element to the movie was Heath Ledger's performance, so why would anyone be surprised that he's the only part of the film that is getting recognized?
    The movie was so violent and explicit in its' violence that I'm still perplexed as to why it received anything less than an "R" rating. The South Park movie didn't deserve an "R" rating if this movie could be given a PG-13. Why our country freaks out over something as natural as nudity but has no issues with violence is beyond me. Always has been and always will be.

Did Hellboy II get any nominations? That was an unexpectedly fun and interesting movie. It was the only film this past year that actually did astonish me.

For anyone that I offend with my above comments, I'm not trying to offend or upset. I'm just sharing my opinion. Besides, I already know I'm in the minority with these opinions. Have a great day!

December 11, 2008 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Patty

Tom Cruise was terrible in Tropic Thunder. In my opinion I thought he was desperately trying to stay relevant.

December 11, 2008 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Michael Sellers

More then half of these movies haven't even been available to the public to see yet. Sounds like a lot of inside slaps on the asses to me. It kind of leaves the public, who by the way eventually make or brake these films, pushed aside.

December 11, 2008 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  103. kec

Angelina's movie (Changeling) made a whopping $34 million in (7) weeks. Wake up Hollywood! The PEOPLE aren't even paying money to see her...how in God's name can she get a Golden Globe nod...How can this woman keep getting these accolades when the public doesn't even want to watch her movies!!!

December 11, 2008 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  104. The Dude

Woody Allan? Seriously? That's enough Woody Alan.

December 11, 2008 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Mabel

I would MUCH rather have seen MILK get a best picture nomination than SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE which has become the most overrated film of the year in my opinion. Kudos to Sally Hawkins who gave one of the greatest performances in HAPPY-GO-LUCKY!

December 11, 2008 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA gets 3 acting noms and a best film bid but Woody Allen gets nothing for writing and directing?? Robbed again.

December 11, 2008 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  107. jon

WHY STILL BEST MUSICAL OR COMEDY. that is the dumbest combination ever. there are not enough musicals made anymore to even make this part of the category. drop the musical and call lit best comedy.

December 11, 2008 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Jim

Meryl rules !

December 11, 2008 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Mary

I think they really missed the boat on not nominating Nelsan Ellis, for the role of LaFayette Reynolds, on HBO's True Blood. I am so glad that the show and Anna Paquin got a nomination but he is absoultely amazing on that show!!!

December 11, 2008 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Walker

Jennifer Anniston must have blown a gasket when she heard that both Brad and Angie were nominated.

December 11, 2008 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Jean

Tom Cruise's nomination is completely ridiculous on so many levels.

December 11, 2008 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  112. james

What a joke. Dark Knight gets one nomination ala Pineapple Express (which got nominated only because there wasn't room to nominate Franco for Milk due to politics). What a freaking joke.

December 11, 2008 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Bladerunner

What happened to Melissa Leo in Frozen River ?? Surely more deserving than Angelina Jolie in my opinion !

December 11, 2008 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Don Laventhall

I was shocked that MILK was not nominated for best film or Gus Van Zant as best director. Both were totally deserved, and MILK is by far the best film I have seen in years. What are they thinking????????

December 11, 2008 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Ralph

I'm surprised that Wall-E didn't get a best film nod, since it is one of the most beautiful films made in recent memory. However, I agree with the single nomination for Dark Knight: Ledger's performance was the only compelling thing about that film.

December 11, 2008 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  116. HollywoodJoe

The Hollywood Foreign Press are just a few dozen over-the-hill, self important suck ups. It's unfortunate that they get so much hype & PR for being nothing but a bunch of dried-up hack journos whose votes get bought by brown-nosing celebs and studio gift baskets.

December 11, 2008 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  117. JD

Most of the choices (except for theanimated ones) were not blockbusters and were only reviewed positively by the insular hollywood crowds that have seemed to drink more and more of their own bath water. Someone needs to wake up and realize (based on box office receipts) that Americans don't go to the movies to be told we are war mongers, or prejudiced, or hated by the world. We go to be entertained. We pay money for someone to create an environment where for a brief time we can escape the other things that make our days difficult, not to try and "rage against the machine" or join some elitist hollywood cause. That said the SAG and others need to figure out that all the strikes, TV series split apart (24, Battlestar Gallactica, etc) does nothing to endear us to actors who already make insane amounts of money and then have the nerve to preach to others how we need to give up things in our lives to help "the down trodden". Get your heads out of your "fourth point of contact" and understand that choices for awards such as these or actors using their pulpits to be political make it really difficult for the average joe to go to a movie that stars these activist actors. It becomes nearly impossible to divorce the BS they throw out for their "causes" publicly from their on screen personas during those two hours I want to be "entertained when that entertainment is dependent on me believing they are the character the portray rather than the idiots speaking for a "cause".

December 11, 2008 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Kevin

Dark Knight only got one nomination?!!! Certainly it would have been a bigger crime to have not nominated Ledger, but the movie itself should be in for best picture.

December 11, 2008 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Michael Sherman

I still hope Tom Cruise has a comeback....but I'm not sure he deserved a nomination for Tropic Thunder. He was just goofing off. He wasn't really acting. If anything, Tropic Thunder should have been nominated for best Comedy and Stiller should have gotten a Best Director nomination. Everyone who saw it said it was the best comedy they had seen all year. They probably just didn't want to get caught up in the "retard" controversy associated with the film.

December 11, 2008 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Gerald Flores

The people of "Cadillac Records" must be thinking "uh...what happened?"

December 11, 2008 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Anthony Regina

I was surprised that Philip Seymour Hoffman was nominated in the supporting actor category. In the play, at least, it was definitely a starring role.

December 11, 2008 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |