December 4th, 2008

What did you think of the Grammy nominations?

Yes, they’re criticized as the “Grannies.” Yes, they tend to leave out any number of songs, albums or artists that may stand the test of time, rewarding popularity over artistry. Yes, with 110 categories, the names of the winners will have vanished from memory within five minutes of being hailed.

Coldplay was nominated for seven Grammy awards.

But they’re still the Grammys, the music business’ biggest award, and (some) attention must be paid. (If you want to pick your own best of 2008, go to iReport.com and testify away.)

There are always some intriguing inclusions - even if the reasons for those inclusions are debatable. Take “Raising Sand,” the album of the year nominee from Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. Was it nominated because it’s a genuinely interesting and often great album, or because the powers that be wanted to honor the Led Zeppelin frontman for his years of service? Doesn’t matter now. At least it’s there.

And how about Jamey Johnson’s “That Lonesome Song,” which a friend of mine - a diehard country fan, as in the Cash/Loretta/Haggard tradition of country music - characterized as “one of the few interesting things I’ve heard this year”? It’s nice that he’s recognized.

CNN’s iReporters have some picks that dovetail with the Grammys’. Maddogza loves Coldplay and rates “Viva La Viva” highly.  Zach2LNYC picked Radiohead’s “In Rainbows” as his best of the year - and the Grammys may agree.  And Jimbon5859 loved the Raconteurs’ “Consolers of the Lonely,” which is up for best rock album.

How about you? Chime in at iReport or post a comment below. We’ll have more of your thoughts tomorrow.

– Todd Leopold, CNN.com Entertainment producer

Filed under: Music

« Previous entry
  1. Indiemusicwolrd

Male R&B Vocal Performance

The nominees are in this group:
    Avant – BREAK YA BACK
    Trey Songz – I NEED A GIRL
    BRENTLEY- When Love Comes Back
    Usher – HUSH
    Charlie Wilson – THERE GOES MY BABY

October 27, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BigdaddyOMy

Jerry J & California Flight. should our could have won this hands down...... Project IV HOPE . Just neede more press along with others here in the US of A . California Flight the single and Title Track HOPE
    along with Don't bother me and many others ..... Outstanding LP for Best R&B LP for years to come.

I hope they win it we are now getting a wonderful lesson about Californa Flight. Who ever PR and Marketing these guys.
    We need to pay attention they HAVE that new era sound.

The 2009 going into 2010 California Flight their MY PIC as the overall winner even though the grammy RIAA just got them enter in they are really that good. Watch out for them their sounds is a NEW era of Soul and Funk blends edgy. but PHAT>)

February 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jim

Mike in houston hit the nail on the head. King Crimson! Yes!!!!! I saw the mighty Crim this year at Nokia Theatre and it just made every other concert I've ever seen feel like such a sad joke.

January 6, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kaylene

The Grammys are a bunch of millionaires and movie star spouses patting themselves on the back.

It used to be that any Grammy winner was a bona-fide great album or artist. No way, mo more.

Don't let industry snobs tell you what the "Album of the Year" is. Voice you opinion with sales, people. It's the only language they understand.

January 4, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Nse Ette

Albums overlooked: "Dear Science" by TV on the Radio, "Crayons" by Donna Summer, and "New Amerykah" by Erykah Badu. Brilliant albums regardless of their Grammy snubs.

December 22, 2008 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kathy

Haven't heard of most of the folks that have been talked about here. Listen to christian music and you won't go back.

December 21, 2008 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Grace

Coldplay is a welcome change to the same old on the grammys. Viva La Vida is the best song I have heard in years.

December 19, 2008 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. patrick

to Mike in Huston;

I totally aggre with you on the state of music talent but I need to make a correction Frank Zappa was not only nominated but won a Grammy for best rock instrumental album for "Jazz from Hell".

December 19, 2008 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. Vickie

Eric Benet's album (Love&Life) is the BEST R&B ALBUM. John Legend is overrated, you're right, there is no comparison. Eric Benet makes REAL music and his voice is priceless. He has been overlooked so many times. This is his time and I pray he finally gets the credit he deserves.

December 18, 2008 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ronald K Monson

I dont believe in the Grammys. I find that if an artist had some sort of tragedy through the year, they got a Grammy (ie, John Lennon got Album of the Year when he got killled.....YOKO ONO also won that with him. I find it hard to take that Yoko got an award for Album Of The Year.. Eric Clapton won a Gammy when his son died. Roy Orbison won best vocal for Pretty Woman AFTER he died...but he didn't win in 1964 when it was first released. George Harrison got nominated twice for songs on the CD that was release AFTER he died.). Now this year, Paul McCartney is nominated for is vocal performance on I Saw Her Standing There. Do you want to know how many copies I have of Paul singing that song that he didn't get nominated before. At 66, his voice is shot, so there his no way in hell that his vocal performance is better than his perforance with the Beatles in 1963. That past few years they seem to want to nominate Paul for his latest CD, which really aren't that good, and I'm a big fan and I don't even like his latest stuff. Are they hoping he would died and then they can give him his away. Its a meaningless award. Most of the Best New Artists are never heard of again.

December 17, 2008 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JSimmers

What I don't understand is how can you determine nominees for best music in any category for a Grammy reflecting 2008 when 2008 isn't over yet and folks are still releasing albums in 2008?

December 17, 2008 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kirk M.

What about those artists who defy genre's? There are those artists who aren't electronica, new age, techno, ambient or world music, but a hybrid instead. I'm interested to see a new category for artists such as Enigma, Moby, Bombay Dub Orchestra, or other ethno-techno like bands.

December 17, 2008 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Belle

I recently watched a performance (on YouTube): Mason Williams' "Classical Gas". It was nothing short of awesome - for those of us old enough to remember this song - and even if you're not, give it a spin and see what you think.

Anyway, when I finished watching it, I thought "that was back when you actually had to have talent in order to get on television or the radio.

I guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy. Yes. I know. I am.

Oh, well.... but check out the video anyway. :)

December 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Brian Vannoy

Eric Benet has more nominations than John Legend? Did anyone listen to those albums b/c there is no comparison.

December 14, 2008 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joe Easton

The worst! Why is so much of the "real" music we listen to and buy not included? Industry runs this program obviously. It has become so boring – no one watches anymore, no one cares.

December 11, 2008 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  16. Bobbi

I must say...what a disappointment that Alicia Keys wasnt nominated. As I Am is a timeless piece of work and to be overlooked is truly indicative of the mentality of the people behind it all. What has happened to real music and real artists? They are so hard to come by and when they do make something worth listening to, people fail to recognize...good job Grammy's!!!

December 10, 2008 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Rocky

I haven't watched a grammy show in 15 years. The problem with the music biz is the suits are deciding what is being heard. The same corporations who produce the music (using term loosely) own the media stations who play the music. There was a time when the Fans decided what was a going to be a hit. Those days are gone for good. Why else are those oldies band making all of the concert money. Who, but the ignorant youngsters would spend hard earned money to hear and see the crap that is being produced these days? I have not paid much attention lately is Britney Spears nominated for best Album? Wouldn't be surprised.

December 9, 2008 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. google

its true grammy is a JOKE... I mean people who cant even sing are nominated at least with American Idol we see true TALENT..... and because kids are the ones voting we will never see anybody with true talent winning... at least they picked Jennifer hudson, leona, alicia who can really sing but Rihanna??? camone where is the talent in rihanna?? the girl cant even sing... no high notes or anyting... and she is nominated... this is a serious joke

December 7, 2008 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  19. frances

The consensus is that Taylor Swift can't sing. I agree. So why is she EVERYWHERE?????

December 5, 2008 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  20. William

Cyndi Lauper will win Best Electronic/Dance album... Go Cyndi!!

December 5, 2008 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Justaylorsmom

The nominations mean there was no good music to listen to this year. Lil' Wanye sucks and its for the teenage set, but then Miley Cyrus didnt get a nod. Overall I dont listen to the radio, I love the 80s and listen to it on my IPOD

December 5, 2008 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Maria

Where have you all been? I have never agreed with much of these so called "Awards" shows. They never truly reflect who should have won. I frankly think they could take them all off the air and nobody would miss them. All of them suck and they don't serve any real purpose but to upset people!

December 5, 2008 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  23. lewis

Do you have to belong to a record label in order to be nominated for a grammy? I was extreamly disappointed with the Hip-Hop nominations. Lil wayne is one of the least soulful, and most unintelligent artists ive ever heard, and it seems like a song has to have his name on it in order to get nominated. The independent hip-hop seen was completley ignored, and it is one of the most new and exciting things in music right now. Atmosphere came out with a new album this year, which i think is incredible. If your tired of the absolute trash currently being spewed out by main stream hip hop right now, you should check it out.

December 5, 2008 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  24. Ben

Good to see so many Brits being nominated. We have done pretty well recently, especially with Amy Winehouse. But with Adele, Leona Lewis, Coldplay, MIA, Duffy, Estelle and Robert Plant all getting nominations in the big categories then we can be pretty proud of our contribution!

You should all youtube Leon'a new single in the UK 'Run'... it is a cover of a British band's song but it highlights how amazing her voice is!

December 5, 2008 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  25. Obi

One need only look at a performance from last year to see how dated the Grammys truly are–when John Fogerty, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis embarrassed themselves (and everyone in attendance) with their sloppy and out-of-touch medley. That just shows you that the Grammy powers-that-be do not care about the people who actually BUY the music and support GOOD music. Radiohead-kuddos! Raising Sand–kuddos! But everything else is basically out of step...well, except for Lady Antebellum for Best New Arist–THEY DESERVE IT!

December 5, 2008 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  26. Tony

I find them disappointing because not only are there more singers out there with a whole lot more talent – Lil' Wayne has absolutley NO TALENT AT ALL and got numerous nominations up the Ying Yang. It's just SAD!!!

December 5, 2008 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  27. Nick

Lil Wayne rules OK! Breakthrough hip hop.
    Jay-Z's American Gangster rules OK! But for nostalgic reasons.
    Duffy rules UK! But what about the Ting Tings?
    Unfortunately, today the US is about 2-3 years behind what's really happening music wise. I mean how long did it take for the Grammys to recognize electro and dance as legitimate categories?
    And all these comments come from someone whose first record he purchased was Elvis "Heartbreak Hotel" on a 78! At that time, US music really did rule the world...

December 5, 2008 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  28. No Country for Old Critics

Where the heck is REM's terrific album "Accelerate"? They leave those other wannabes in the dust when they're at their best as on this CD. And since when is Kid Rock a Best Male Vocalist? Can that freakin' loser even carry a tune? I have to agree with the person above who dared to mention Clay Aiken. I wasn't expecting much when my sister insisted I listen to his album, but being a Steely Dan fan, I gave it a shot. They're the musicians on it and certainly took him to another level. The range of styles was impressive and you have to admit, the guy has a unique set of pipes. I'd give him the nod instead of Kid Rocklobster any day. You heard it here first, REM fans, I liked the Aiken album. So sue me.

December 5, 2008 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  29. alex

Hey Kristy. I know what you mean about Gary Louris. I think Gary's music is brilliant and I can't wait for "Ready For The Flood"

December 5, 2008 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  30. Wade

Where is "Evil Urges" by My Morning Jacket? As good as John Mayer may be, does all he have to do is release something for a nom? I'm just not interested anymore. I remember when Starland Vocal Band beat Wild Cherry and Boston for Best New Artist. Times have changed, but the selection process has not...

December 5, 2008 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  31. Cory

Well, after 35 years in the business, it's still nice to see Judas Priest get a nomination, even if it was for their adventurous, but boring Nostradamus.

December 4, 2008 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Carol S.

ELO, Pink Floyd, Journey, 38 Special, Foghat, Moody Blues,
    "Sugar Sugar", "Hang on Sloopy", Crimmson and Clover", etc.
    Now THAT'S music to my ears.

December 4, 2008 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Michelle

Last time I checked the Jonas Brothers weren't really artists...

And Lil Wayne leads? My gosh... enough said.

December 4, 2008 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Brent

For me, the nominations this year were a mixed bag, as always. I think Alicia Keys was robbed from an album of the year nomination as well as an R&B album nomination for AS I AM. Also, I feel that Usher and Mariah Carey were robbed in the R&B categories for their respective albums, which were both good in my opinion (I know some people disliked Usher's HERE I STAND). I think that the most deserving album of the year for 2008 is Tha Carter III. It has made the most noise both critically and commercially. Viva La Vida is also a good choice, but I agree that it is a bit overhyped. Raising Sand is the only album I haven't heard completely, but I have a feeling that it could win, though it's probably not the most deserving. IN RAINBOWS should win best alternative album, but not album of the year. Similarly, Ne-Yo should (could) win the best contemporary R&B album honors (though he is against Mary J. Blige's fine GROWING PAINS), but not Album of the Year.

And the Jonas Bros. for best new artists? They should not have been nominated this year but last year if they were to be nominated. Jazmine Sullivan is my pick for best new artists, but Duffy and Adele are both great choices as well.

December 4, 2008 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jeff

Ahh... Hip Hop finally getting the credit it deserves

December 4, 2008 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Marie

I was really disappointed that Dave Gahan's "Hourglass" wasn't mentioned. I'm not sure about the timing of releases and how that plays into whether they're eligible (Oct. 2007), but that album is truly great. Electronic, Pop, whatever you want to put it in, it deserves some credit.

December 4, 2008 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Bree

Ugh... Lil' Wayne? Really? "I Kissed a Girl"? For a Grammy? Radiohead? Critically acclaimed yet never listened to, Radiohead? What is wrong with the people doing the nominating?

What ever happened to showing appreciation for the true artists out there? I was thrilled to see that Nine Inch Nails got a couple of nods, but it was sad to see that they weren't recognized in the big categories. Trent Reznor is one of the most important figures in music today and has come up with brilliant things... that don't get recognized. Ghosts I-IV was an incredible album with such a wide variety of music, it truly deserved the nod that it got. It would've been nice to see The Slip get put up for the award it deserves. (While I'm at it... Year Zero was the best concept album I've ever seen and should've gotten a Grammy or a few of them.)

December 4, 2008 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Robert

I am annoyed coldplay is overrated its does not deserve album of the year. And the johnas brothers get a nomination what the hell thats just a bad sign. I hope they enjoyed listening to real music last night. B.B. king is the man of the blues!!!! Also i was disappointed because I really wanted to see more metallica death magnetic. Its more then just a great rock album it should be album of the year not viva la vida!!

December 4, 2008 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  39. google

Its true this has nothing to do with talent... I mean lets face it Rihanna cant even sing but she has a nod.......... WTF yes she has catchy songs but how about looking at real talent for a change?? I am dissapointed but im very happy for Ne-yo cause the guy is very talented although his album is not that good, it only has few songs .... and Alicia, coldplay, Beyonce, they sure deserve a grammy... Lets wait and see.

December 4, 2008 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Tim Story

Ive stopped paying attention to the Grammies. I might look at the nominees but could care less what the results are. Either way they are going to give the grammy one of three kinds of artists. Somebody nobody listens to, an aging, returned, now "soulfull" rocker, or the young, well known, niche artist. The last one is to quell the complaints that they only pick old people. If it's possible I think the Grammies are even snootier than the Oscars.

I just have one question for them. If your nominees are really that great they why aren't they selling more albums? or being requested more? or being buzzed about online? Ok that was 3

December 4, 2008 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  41. James Duane

The grammys have always been hopelessly unimaginative. Lifetime number of grammy nominations for David Bowie: 0. Enough said.

December 4, 2008 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Michigan

The music is horrible, the nominees are horrible, the Grammy's are horrible.

December 4, 2008 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  43. mike

as soon as I heard that Lil Wayne led the nominations I lost all respect for the grammys

December 4, 2008 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  44. pico chevalier

NIN......Great Live Concerts, what gives with no nomination. Popularity contest as always. I'll pass on the grammys yet again.

December 4, 2008 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jessica

Lil Wayne....are you serious? One of his lyrics is, "I'm a venereal disease like a menstrual bleed" That takes talent right there *rolls eyes*

December 4, 2008 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  46. james

Considering that 3 of the 5 nominees for best hard rock album are Judas Priest, Rob Zombie and Motley Crue, I can't imagine how the Grammy voters still think they're in touch with music today.

December 4, 2008 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  47. SchruteBeet

Kings of Leon really deserve 3 nominations! One of only a few bands that really earned a nod.

December 4, 2008 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  48. korey clement

I love the nominations this year. I think this shows the balance in music we have today. I am a fan of all music genre's and believe Lil Wayne deserves to be nominated 8 times. HE has really had a huge year and thats what a grammy represents in music. Lil Wayne and Kayne West are realling turning heads in the music industry and rightfully so. Coldplay and others are showing why their uniqueness adds to the mix of music now-a-days. I think this will be a great show, and look forward to watching the winners...

Goodluck to all

December 4, 2008 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  49. The Jay

Music is dead. Has been for like a decade now...

December 4, 2008 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Nealito

No matter who they are or what genre/category/label is attached to their music. Nominated or not.............................I like their early stuff better!

December 4, 2008 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  51. kayla

ok..coldplay is okay..not a big fan but whatever..ok to people who don't like them...don't listen to them listen to something else...and another thing stop freaking complaining and save the drama for someone who will listen..ok..don't like them..deal with them!

December 4, 2008 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Rachel

I agree with Eric Schultz...well said.

December 4, 2008 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Ellen

Do not unstand why anyone would spend their time watching this or any other "award" show. Is not the obscene amount of money they make reward enough?

December 4, 2008 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Carla

Grammy, shammy! What's with the Josh Groban thing? His CD came out 14 months ago. Oh, wait. I forgot. His CD was the best selling album of 2007. Now that's talent!

December 4, 2008 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Derek

Huff and Doback should have been nominated.

December 4, 2008 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  56. john jones

It should be noted that Grammy nominations are based on voting done by members of the academy... inluding the majority of artists themselves. It's not a panel of clueless people... unless of course you consider the majority of artists today clueless. Everyone has their own opinions on what is "good" or "best"... so awards shows are to be taken for what they are... winners of an industry-wide vote.

It's still a yearly celebration of music, which is important if you ask me. There are ALWAYS at least a FEW worthy nominations regardless of whether you are a pop fan or a self-described "underground music snob" who stops liking something the minute it becomes popular.

December 4, 2008 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Adrianne in Los Angeles

I used to be a big devotee of the Grammys but over the years they've become over-categorized – if they have the Latin Grammys at another time why do they also have Latin categories this time? I think certain categories should be eliminated. And these days there is a lot of blurring of musical genres. It's obvious that the Grammys have their favorites and leave some very talented people out.

December 4, 2008 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Charlie H.

Why is anybody surprised by this? The people who give out Grammy nominations are the same people who run the record companies and decide which artists and songs get promoted in movies and on the radio. This is basically the industry looking at the pool of artists they've already decided to promote, and picking which ones they want to boost with a "Grammy-nominated" badge at Wal-Mart and online.

It's just the industry trying to manipulate the audience with a fake popularity contest in which they are the only entrants and the only voters.

December 4, 2008 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  59. kevin

One huge mistake has been made in the nominations, and it speaks to the lack of understanding the current Grammy panel has on today's music industry: Best r&b vocal female: Me, Myself, and I- Beyonce. This song was released on her debut album in 2003- she has since released 2 other albums, and many other singles. Why is a 5yr old song nominated, when it wasn't re-released at any time this year?!
    As for the rest of the nods: glad to see Adelle in the spotlight- great voice, went virtually unnoticed until her songs started popping up on various TV shows (SNL performance didn't hurt either)- but she deserves a grammy for her album- one of the years best.

December 4, 2008 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Adam

If M.I.A. and Radiohead don't win Record and Album, respectively...I can't even imagine who the winners would be.

December 4, 2008 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Veral

They all are a joke, but I'm crossing my fingers for Disturbed to finally win one. They deserve it more then any of them in the Best Hard Rock category. The rest of it I don't care much for, all of them are a joke and Coldplay is overrated and I don't think they deserve those seven nominations in the slightest. Better singers/groups out there than them.
    I'm just highly disappointed over the list with a few exceptions for hard rock/metal area.

December 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Anne

I read today that people are surprised that Taylor Swift
    did not receive a nomination. Hello! She has no voice!

December 4, 2008 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Anne

Celine Dion should record At Seventeen.
    Her performance was magical.

December 4, 2008 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Steve

Raising Sand is a beautiful album. It's not Led Zeppelin, but another side of Plant...worthy of many awards. Too bad Shelby Lynne's "Just a Little Lovin'" CD was basically shut out – I think it was the best album of the year.

December 4, 2008 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  65. JohnMac

Who Cares???????

December 4, 2008 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Jim Slattery

I agree completely with Moises Rivera about Vampire Weekend's exclusion. This is by far the best thing musically in 2008. Just brilliant stuff. I adore the Duffy song, and Adele's too, but they pale in comparison. What gives?

December 4, 2008 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Anne

After 1985, I stopped watching!

December 4, 2008 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Adam

I simply cannot understand the appeal of Coldplay at all. IMO, they have put out one good record (the first one) and the rest is an attempt to recreate what they briefly had. They lack originality and specialize in making the same record. Radiohead In Rainbows is by far the most creative and brilliant record this year. It is in another league.

December 4, 2008 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Jimmy

I'm surprised Rihanna didn't get a nod for album of the year... churning out like 7 top 15 hits is pretty amazing from one album. The album sales aren't there compared to the chart toppers she had but it was a great and enjoyable album. I also am surprised that Take a Bow didn't get a songwriting award for RnB or Pop song

December 4, 2008 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Nancy

It's obvious that the people who make the Grammy nominations never actually LISTEN to the music they are nominating.

December 4, 2008 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  71. gina

The Raconteurs’ “Consolers of the Lonely,” which is up for best rock album, should be album of the year. If you have not heard it, get it. They are AMAZING live as well! Where's My Morning Jacket as well? That was a runner up fro AOY!!

December 4, 2008 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Disapointed in Ohio

I am so sick and tired of seeing Taylor Swift....EVERYWHERE!!!!! Sure she may be able to write a song, but she certainly has little singing ability. I think that artists a little less popular...but with a tremendous amount of talent should get the nods!

December 4, 2008 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Nancy

I cannot believe that "Raising Sand" got 5 grammy nominations, including Album of the Year!!! That album sucked! It was a huge disappointment to me and everyone else I knew who was looking forward to its release. Can you say "monotonous" and "boring"??

Unbelievable! It had to be their names and the fact that they collaberated together on an album that garnered them these nominations, because it certainly wasn't the music!

December 4, 2008 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  74. David

I missed Celine's performance. The only one I cared to see/hear from. Taylor Swift really isn't ... that ... SWIFT, announcing the Hi/Hop nominees was clearly a last minute add on...

December 4, 2008 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Jimmy

Mariah Carey was snubbed by the Grammys once again. In a career spanning nearly two decades, she's only won five times, typically in the smaller categories. In the mid-90s, at the height her popularity, she was nominated heavily but walked away awardless. I'm hardpressed to find a station that actually plays the songs she lost to, while her songs remain prominent as ever.
    True talent is hard to find in this year's Grammy list. I think some of these artists should be pushed to do an MTV Unplugged concert to prove themselves, just like Mariah did way back when. But beyond a complete lack of nominations for E=MC2, Mariah will still remain on top and continue to entertain millions, as she is our generations greatest singing voice and an underrated songwriter as well.

December 4, 2008 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  76. CC

Coldplay, Kanye, Jason Mraz? I totally agree that they overrated, overplayed, and I'm not watching. I love hip-hop and Kanye is not where it's at!

December 4, 2008 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Paul

The music scene is much ado about nothing anymore. Many of the best musicians just don't give into the way things are going now, and just do not put out music anymore, give a few, who still put out great music, ie Metallica (Death Magnetic), their best album since the Black album. As for the rap, r&b, hip hop, which seem to all cross breed, do we really consider most of this music? Some of it is good, but most of it is marketing a catchy beat, milking it for as much money as they can get, and then they disappear, because they cannot make another catchy tune. So instead they come out with a clothing line, shoe line or a fragrance. If they actually spent time working on truly good music, then maybe they could really be something. (ie eminem, 50 cent, etc)
    Then they have the best album, and best record, why not add in their best cd, best music dvd, best iTunes download, etc. To many categories overlap. One category that should be added is a Lifetime Achievment award. But again that is just the Grammys, lets award the here and now and forget about anything worth listening to years from now. Remember when Norah Jones won everything a few years back. Haven't heard a thing out of her again. They do not even play here tracks on the radio anymore. Need I say anymore?

December 4, 2008 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Marty

I agree with Ed.....Taylor Swift needs more singing lessons. She can't hit alot of notes and her voice isn't strong at all. Lacks vibrato. Come back in a few years when you grow up and can sing better Taylor....

December 4, 2008 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  79. k

Overrated I think...miley cyrus?? really? no really?? is that real?
    jeez... I'll watch the highlights

December 4, 2008 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  80. daniel

the should be renamed the shammys.

December 4, 2008 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Darrell Russ

Donna Summer is a living legend in the world of Dance Music...like Aretha is to Soul!

December 4, 2008 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  82. nerdicus maximus

The Grammy nomination committee could not identify good music if it bit them in the, uh, ear! The whole thing is a joke. As a musician, the people I've admired, and been influenced by were seldom, if ever, Grammy winners.

December 4, 2008 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Darrell Russ

Donna Summer should have gotten nominated for Best Dance Reording as she had two of the biggest Dance hits of the year.."I'm a Fire" and "Stamp Your Feet." I am quite dissapointed.

December 4, 2008 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Jonathan

American Boy was not just the song of the year it was the record of the year - in a year that had a lot of clever and catchy songs this was the best.

December 4, 2008 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  85. allison

All I have to say is that there are two groups who deserved their nominations: Daft Punk and Nine Inch Nails.

If they don't win the Grammys will prove themselves to be as self righteous, meaningless, and talent-less as pop music and the rest of pop culture.

December 4, 2008 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  86. TSwift

Taylor Swift :(

December 4, 2008 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Ed

I agree with most of the commenters here, the Grammy's is more about commerialism, record sales, and pretty people. Not talent.
    It's a shame, used to be a good show rewarding great talent with great preformances.
    That pretty girl host (can't remeber her name) who said she can sing?
    She needs to take some voice classes – just awful!

December 4, 2008 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  88. nc

I think the Grammy's have become more of a popularity contest rather than who has true talent. Who is Lil Wayne anyway?

December 4, 2008 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  89. MP

Go EAGLES!!!! While the new album was no Hotel California it was much better than the Long Run and much better than the crap out today. I mean the radio fis ull with either mucialy challenged rappers, Britney sound and look alikes and "rock" bands all sounding like Nickleback (who sounds a lot like the Tea Party). The Eagles came out with an album that at times had some of the best lyrics in recent years. Also, for guys in their 60's they can still sing and rock.

December 4, 2008 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Julie

Happy that They Might Be Giants got a nod...even if it's in best Children's Recording.

December 4, 2008 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  91. rupa

I love coldplay, its amazing how the individuality of a musician gets reflected in their work. Gwyeneth is definitely lucky...

December 4, 2008 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Jimmy

I will also like to add that I was also surprised that Nine Inch Nails didn't get any other nods besides the ones they did. Trent Reznor did a great job producing and exploring sounds.

I disagree with the Alison Krauss/Robert Plant nod. That album was just okay but having them together doing the album was cool. I think it was just a nod to give Robert something after Led Zepp pretty much was disowned by anything established back in their prime. Just the fact it took them so long to get into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame should tell you something. They were just so creative.

Lets all just enjoy the performances and celebration of music.

December 4, 2008 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Bunny

Taylor Swift has no voice or ear at all.

December 4, 2008 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Jimmy

I read every comment. You all are pretty much hating because your favorites are not nominated. There is so much music out there that we all can listen to because of distribution network through radio, tv, internet etc that there are far more tangible musicians out there to listen to. Its hard to just pick a few to nominate.

The people who nominate are people like us. They have their own preferences. What ever list comes out there will be people complaining. Big DEAL!! get over it!

Enjoy watching some of the biggest performers out there get up on stage and perform, talk and present.

With that said, I was surprised that Alicia Keys did not get nominated for more categories. Her album was pretty complete for a pop/rNb album. I find it funny that people lash out against Lil Wayne when in fact his lyrics are pretty clever and witty even when they are not talking about anything important. Listen to Tie My Hands with Robin Thicke, that is a masterpiece of a RnB/Hip Hop collaboration.

I also find it funny that Music is on a downhill run. I'm older myself approaching my 40's and have seen popular music shift from Rock N Roll/RnB to include HipHop in its various forms. HipHop has transformed in many ways popular music of many of the previous Popular genres. I think people's misconceptions about the artistry that is HipHop/Rap is evident by these postings. Kanye West this, Lil Wayne that. Then they get mad they are not musicians or whatever.

Its the same deal that Rock N Roll initially had to go through and I think Hip Hop/Rap is going through it today. Rock N Roll took awhile to jump off and many other genres explored it. I find it odd that the same fans of the revolutionary music is so appauled to another revolutionary genre. Rappers can't sing, they don't play instruments. Did we not think Rock N Roll (later the heavier or alternative artists) couldn't sing or that they were doing it differently so we rejected them?

Kanye West is a revolutionary and is willing to explore music making much in the way other artists in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s were exploring Rock N Roll, Disco, and other new sounds of those eras.

December 4, 2008 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Nicci

The bar for Excellence in music has sunk to such a low that the winning or being nominated for a Grammy doesn’t mean anything anymore. I rarely even watch the show anymore...For years now artists didn't have to give vocal or musically good performance, but now they don’t even have to be on key on the recording…..

December 4, 2008 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Sally

First nominations announced last night – new artist. When I heard Jonas Brothers* in that group I gave up hope for the Grammys for yet another year.

* (not worthy of a nomination, not to mention this is their 3rd albumn)

December 4, 2008 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  97. cheryl buchanan

They included a song by Beyonce. The song is weird and she is already a has-been without much talent. nuff said..

December 4, 2008 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Patrick

Lil Wayne has 8 nominations? The Grammy's are dead!

December 4, 2008 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  99. JJ Vaught

Seriously though. Lil wayne is the best rapper alive. I am tired of Rap elitists, mostly white people, saying that he isn't a real rapper just cause he raps about money cars and hos. The fact is musically his album was amazing. Granted TI had a better album in my opinion. But it was not as influential as his. But yeah the jonas brothers are garbage. And How did Kid rock get a nomination? Either way radiohead should win. The fact is with so much of popular music being completely awful, its hard to really have shows like this. Within specific genres its possible. But considering how many people like music as bad as Coheed and Cambria, there really can be no consensus on what good music is.

December 4, 2008 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  100. courtney

Lil Wayne being nominated for 8 awards is a complete joke. He is one of the worse rappers ever!!!! He can not rap. You can not understand anything that he is saying. I hope he goes home empty handed just like Kayne!!!! As for Alicia Keys, I like her but the As I Am CD was not that great. She was screaming on most of the songs which made her sound like she could not sing. I think she is trying to be another Beyonce and we do not need another one. She was so different when she first came out. The Diary of Alicia Keys was GREAT!!! She now tries to be like everybody else and it is so sad. Listen to the Diary CD and then play the new one. Quality went downhill. She just got a little too ghetto this time around!!! I hope Adele wins Best New Artist!!

December 4, 2008 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  101. MJC

Lil Wayne for Album of the Year? The Grammys have officially jumped the shark. I love hip-hop, but this guy's voice is like sandpaper.

December 4, 2008 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Sally

The Grammys is nothing but a big party for the wealthy artists. Why should we watch the egotistical rich on our small televisions in our average houses contemplating a pile of bills? Look around where you live then look at how they live. I don't understand how people continue to support these people who don't give a care about you and me.

December 4, 2008 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  103. krishna

MIA BABY!!!! aw yeah!!!

December 4, 2008 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Phineas T. Borboon

Slim pickings, indeed! Lil Wayne and the Jonas Brothers?

December 4, 2008 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  105. rocker

The fact is, not one of so called muscians will be remembered in 20 to 50 years. Because they have no true talent.. In my day (and yes I am old..a child of the 60's) we had a message..a calling..this noise...
    and please stop with the gold teeth!!!

December 4, 2008 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  106. skitzo

some of you ignorant people blame the bad music industry on rap and hiphop...its true COMMERCIAL rap sucks cause all they do is glorify sex, drugs, money, killing and just ramble about stuff that doesn't make sense (my name is weezy, my friend is jeezy, my girl is very easy, just buy my record pleazy)....but if you dug a little deeper into the underground and heard the most intelligent artist – Immortal technique (caught in a hustle, dance with the devil, the 3rd world, the 4th branch, impeach the president)....and others like him Sabac Red, Mos Def, Talib Kweli....you can't catagorize an entire genre based on 2 artists (kanye west and lil wayne) that's like saying country sucks based on billy ray cyrus or rock sucks based on def leppard or alice cooper.....just plainly say that commercial radio is causing the downfall of quality music.

December 4, 2008 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Jeff

Lil Wayne, Kanye? Dear god! They are both so bad I don't even know what to say. Kanye needs to leave the mic alone, go back to being a producer, please. Lil Wayne...... is this even English? We're rewarding sales and popularity not talent.

December 4, 2008 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  108. chris

What the heck happened to Leona Lewis for a Best New Artist nod?

December 4, 2008 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  109. JB

wouldn't it be great if they held the grammy's and no one watched.
    And how many Lil's can you name – Lil Kim, Lil Bow Wow, Lil Jon, Lil Chris, Lil Fizz, Lil Wayne... Cancel the grammys – cause, really, who cares – and have a Lil freakshow instead

December 4, 2008 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  110. LaMont

The Grammys have become quite the joke in this decade (or longer). The only thing i found worth applauding lately was last yeara Album of The year Win for Herbie Hancock.

The acts are in\terchangeable in all of their genre's,unlike in the past where all the nominees stood out in their own personalities and styles. Every act,in every genre copy-cats eachother and the "labels" do nothing in terms of encouring originality or creativity.

People can call me a relic all they like for growing up in the era of LP's.cassettes & CDs but at least the acts of those times made great efforts to make the music worth your money.

Now,with downloading,Ipods and other newer (and lazier) ways to get access to music,it's like the industry is saying "The public wants music access to be effortless,so we don't need to make an effort to entertain either".

This decade in music,unlike the 20th century,stands for absolutely nothing and neither do the artists that represent it! (END)

December 4, 2008 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  111. MikeWall

The Grammys are a perfect example of our society today – they reward popularity and have nothing to do with rewarding true talent! If so, none of these idiots would have received any nominations!

December 4, 2008 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  112. BILL

I remember when "real" stars like Barbra Streisand, Neil Diamond, and Aretha Franklin were on. Now anyone can be a star. SNORE!

December 4, 2008 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Honeycomb

Why would you recognize Lil Wayne????

December 4, 2008 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Rita

Thank god BB King was there.

December 4, 2008 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  115. lidder89

Oh give it a rest people. The Grammy's represent what albums of the year that were not only good but also connected with the largest audience. Lil Wayne sold over a million albums in one week. Coldplay is one of the most popular bands of our time. M.I.A was huge this year and although not my taste so were the jonas brothers. You are right its a popularity contest, because when music is popular it means people are listening.
    If the grammy's need ratings they should hire britney, she could show up and just smile and millions would tune in.

December 4, 2008 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  116. lilacs

There is very little out there that you can actually call music. Rap and hip-hop is the worst there is and the music industry doesnt hire real talent anymore its all about looks. Rock and roll is the best music ever made period that is why so many rock star are still around and draw big crowds at concerts.

December 4, 2008 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Al rose

oh how we forget pure genious...best album of the year...chinese democracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 4, 2008 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Jax

I agree with all of you who say Cold Play is overrated. The Jonas Brothers are a complete joke. I mean have these boys even hit puberty yet??

I have not watched the Grammy's in years because their nominations and winners are a joke.

And Lil Wayne? Come on now. Personally, I am not a fan of rap but am sure there are better rappers than Lil Wayne. Also, lets stop feeding Kayne Wests ego!

The Grammy committee is a joke!!

December 4, 2008 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Benst1

I do not care who is nominated and who wins a Grammy award. I do love to watch the show, because they showcase all types of music and because they did away with the useless host/master of cerimonies, so they can focus on the music.
    The Grammys are not as important as the Noble Prize, the Putlizer Prize, or the Dupont-Columbia Awards for Broadcast Journalism, but, they are a lot more fun to watch.
    They are also a lot more entertaining to watch than the Academy Awards (Oscars), the Tonys, the People's Choise Award, or the Emmys.
    TV Guide picked the Grammys as the most entertaining televised award show a few years ago, and that is still true today.

Just watch the show and enjoy the music. If you like any kind of music, you will probably like the program. They like almost anything and everthing music, as well as "spoken word" recordings.

December 4, 2008 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  120. ABrown

Alison Krauss and Robert Plant made a spectacular album together. It's not your standard Country or standard Rock album, and the harmonies and music they created is entirely unique. Everyone who made that album should receive the grammy, it's unlike anything else out there.

December 4, 2008 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Sarah

The Grammy's have no credibility. Watch the ratings go down again this year– they should really just stop awarding "art".

December 4, 2008 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  122. n faust

How in the world does Taylor Swift get nominated and make albums when she can't even carry a tune!!! Who does she know? Also when she sang the Star Spangled Banner pre-game show, it was just terrible, she can't stay in tune for anything.

December 4, 2008 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Kevin C.

The same old Grammy BS, with the exception of Plant/Krauss...

December 4, 2008 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Beavis

Music died with Tiny Tim.

December 4, 2008 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  125. TO

OMG!!! I can't believe the Jonas Brothers were nominated! They SUCK!!! I have lost ALL respect for the Grammys.

December 4, 2008 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Ace

I would normally agree that Coldplay is overrated, but have you guys actually listened to their full new album? It is amazing. Radiohead is my favorite band of all time, but I still think Coldplay deserves best album of the year. I am psyched that Radiohead is getting some recognition though and In Rainbows is a great album.

As for Death Cab for Cutie, I love them and will cherish their old hits always, but their new album is crap. I'm sorry, it is. It is a watered down, sappy version of what used to be a great band.

December 4, 2008 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Diggs in 505

Lil' Wayne for President

December 4, 2008 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Linda

The music industry is so like television in the fact that it panders to teens, tweens and twentysomethings in who it promotes. A demographic that doesn't have nearly as much money to spend as people who are over 30. It's all show and no go, no substance just explotation and crass commercialism. You can barely distinguish one hip-hop, rap, pop, even country, artist from another these days. There are a few exceptions but they don't get the recognition they deserve. Sad.

December 4, 2008 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Vee

I watched the show last night and I think it was a creative and different way to announce the nominations. However, if Lil Wayne's music is indicative what mainstream thinks is Grammy worthy, I have lost faith in the music industry. I consider myself a liberal thinker and love rap music. But I had a friend download some music for me and I didnt request lil wayne but he put it on there. I have to next until I can get to song that I can tolerate the content of his message without the cursing and glorification of illegal drugs and activity. He may be a genius but for a different culture. Is this what we as a culture think is the epitome of musical genius? 8 nods? As an african american I cringe when I see him (and other rappers black or white) with their shades on, pants 2 sizes too small that they have to hold up as they perform.If Lil Wayne wins he will bring his whole neighborhood up on stage and be incoherent as usual. I am sure I will not watch.

December 4, 2008 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Amy

I haven't cared about the Grammies since the '80s when I was in junior high. And back then we had Stevie Wonder, Herbie Hancock, Howard Jones and Thomas Dolby on stage at the same time... where can you find that kind of creativity and skill these days? It's just not worth it.

December 4, 2008 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Luffing

Pathetic. The Grammy's used to be about artistry. Now, it's simply pop fluff.

December 4, 2008 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Avartsy

I was actually pretty stoked to hear Lil' Wayne is leading the pack with 8 noms! I don't have his album but from his songs and those he featured on, I think he well deserves it.

December 4, 2008 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Jackson, Seattle

Hey, look at is this way, given the history of the Best New Artist winner's quick fade into obscurity once they win, let's give it to the jonas brothers, so their careers can be over!

December 4, 2008 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Derrek Meyers, of Regina, Canada

Of the more than 100 categories, could the Grammy committee, the glorious think-tank that they are, not have found at least one category in which to nominate DONNA SUMMER or her recent work on the long-awaited cd 'CRAYON'S' ? Sure we fans waited 17 long years for all new original material, sure the first two singles went to #1on Billboard's Club Play chart, her 19th and 20th #1 singles on all Billboard chjarts! Yet, industry recognition for this amazing vocalist and songwriter is still lacking! C'mon people, Donna's been at this game for 33 years, she is long overdue for a 'Best Pop Female Vocal Performance', or even another 'Best Dance Recording' of which, Miss Summer won the innaugural Grammy for back in 1998. While the Grammies cannot please everyone, I for one, am dissappointed yet again at the nominations and who gets left out in the rain!

December 4, 2008 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Laura H

Yeah, I agree with Robert. In a world where Rhianna can win a Grammy is a world where Grammies mean nothing to me

December 4, 2008 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Nobody

I have been in this business for over 30 years now and it is time to retire . It is very simple math, garbage in = garbage out. There were some very good albums that were shut out (only my opinion) completely this year for reasons beyond my wisdom.

December 4, 2008 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  137. B Watkins

The sad state of the record industry has always been noticed in recent nominations. While many good bands and sings are nominated, and being nominated is equally as important as winning, there have been many, many 'slights' and exclusions dating back many years for certain groups and categories.

Progressive Rock has been ignored for years and years while being a viable category for many bands such as Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, it has never been fully recognized by the Grammy 'industry' but yet made tons of money for many people.

Another genre, strong and viable in the Christian Contemporary Music (CCM) industry, is the Christian Progressive Rock genre (CPROG). Many very viable bands like Neal Morse, Ajalon, Salem Hill,Vertical Alignment, Simon Apple, Orphan Project...ect with large fan bases and strong followings both in the US and overseas, go largely unnoticed by the CCM industry.

I am reminded of a song by the late Kevin Gilbert ..'Dance of the
    A & R Men'

Regards to All

December 4, 2008 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Suaavve

What happened to music? It has become a "product", like cheese or a hammer. It's "how many can we sell of this trendy thing?" as opposed to "let's create a catalogue of music that will last 100 years and other artists will clamour to re-record over and over again". I don't even listen to radio any more. The only way I find out about new music is if someone tells me about someone or I go on iTunes and do a random search or listen to a podcast of new music. With the overwhelming amount of indie labels and artists out there, why do we end up hearing the same old stuff over and over and over again? And then we get told that this person or that person is an "artist". Come on! They are just apart of a machine that you made, a overnight business, much like a storefront that opens up during Christmas to sell stuff and then shuts down when the holidays are over. Would have thought that by now, the music industry (business) would have wised up and realized that the real reason music sales are in the crapper is because there is (almost) nothing out there worth buying.

December 4, 2008 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  139. joni

who really cares? Music these days is terrible, with all the hip hop and rap and foul language used in songs! It's sad to think what our youth listen to now. So much money and time spent on musicians who don't obey the laws, too. What's this country coming to?????

December 4, 2008 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Gary Wilson

First, people who are upset because their artist didn't make the cut, i.e. Clay Aiken, should know that the cutoff for eligibility was September 30, 2008. Any thing released after that will be eligible for next year's awards. Having said that, Panic At The Disco's "Pretty.Odd" was a FANTASTIC cd. I was disappointed to see they got no recognition for a cd that was artful, original, fun, and catchy as hell.

December 4, 2008 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Catherine

With these nominees being such a surprise to everyone, I'm alittle floored that they didn't nominate Journey for any category. They were the music industry story of the year. And they didn't acknowledge them. I'm suprised that Lil Wayne got thee most nominations, let's just see if NARAS actually has the guts to give him Album of the Year honors.

December 4, 2008 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Shane(Ft. Lauderdale)

As much as I like Coldplay, they did not deserve 7 grammy nominations. I thought their newest album was ok, but definitely their worst to date. Radiohead should have been nominated.

December 4, 2008 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Mike

Aren't these the same people that awarded Jethro Tull a Best Heavy Metal album Grammy? It's always a committee that doesn't know it's own posterior from it's elbows!

December 4, 2008 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Jay B

I can't imagine millions of folks wanting to tune in to see which of these nominees ends up 'winning'. I predict record low ratings.

December 4, 2008 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Mike in NYC

I've laughed at enough ridiculous Grammy nominations to have long since stopped taking these awards seriously.

Most of what passes for music these days is derivative, predictable, recycled crap. You have to delve into the indie scene for what little quality there is.

December 4, 2008 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Rudolph

GARBAGE!!!

December 4, 2008 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  147. J V Donnant

Huh? Grammies? What Grammies?

You mean that silly self-adulation thing is still around?

December 4, 2008 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Bill W.

I was disappointed that Nine Inch Nails was overlooked for so much. Yeah, Trent Reznor got the nod for best instrumental performance and packaging, but if you look at what he did this year alone, he's revolutionizing the industry.

A double album with the most unique price structure I can think of – 25% of the songs for free, $5 to download the whole 32 song album, $10 to get the download and the physical CD, a $75 box set, and the $300 limited edition box set that got the nod. Then follow this 2 months later with a completely free album, followed by one of the most amazing and visually impressive tours of the year.

What Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails have done, taking these incredible steps forward in an industry that's shooting itself in the head over and over again, has been nothing short of amazing. It's just sad he doesn't get more mainstream recognition ever since he took the best move of his career and dropped his label.

December 4, 2008 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Drew

Who cares. Rap sucks and the music industry has been creatively bankrupt for years.

December 4, 2008 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Devin

If the The Jonas Brothers and Coldplay can both win the same award, it's bogus.

December 4, 2008 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Mike in Houston

And one more thing, there is a WHOLE HUGE library of Jazz/Fusion artists out there, that get ZERO playtime on American radio, yet just ONE Jazz/Fusion band has more talent than all the pop, rap, hip-hop and country bands EVER MADE combined!

December 4, 2008 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  152. michael

Alot of hip hop.... what about the rest of us... alternative, rock, techno, ... I'm not watching

December 4, 2008 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  153. kosta

these nominations make no sense. the hold steady and portishead have the year's best records, and the folks who came up with the nominations probably never heard of them. but then again it's the grammy's...

December 4, 2008 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  154. skitzo

America's children are getting dumber by listening to Lil wayne.... which explains alot.

December 4, 2008 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Mike in Houston

Since the end of the 1970's and into the mid-80's , we have seen music on a downhill run. You will never find bands today with the talent of bands like Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Brand X, Dixie Dreggs, Soft Machine, and Fire Merchants, to name a few. Some of these bands are still around today, but are ignored by the "main stream" critics and award shows. And then there's Frank Zappa. Someone who made over 80 albums in his career, and not one was ever "nominated" for an achievement award or Grammy. The Grammy's are a JOKE, and the music put out today by these "artists", especially pop, hip-hop, and rap, are about as worthless as music gets! And don't get me started on "Country Music", either. I never listen to radio anymore, I only play my CD's in my car, because today's "popular" music stinks!

December 4, 2008 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Moises Rivera

What about Vampire Weekend? The debut album of this New England is NPR's album of the year BY FAR. (voted by listeners) All their concerts have been sold out in North American. Lyrically and Musically superior to the likes of DUFFY and those other giftwrapped artists. If you haven't heard vampire weekend, then you haven't lived.

December 4, 2008 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  157. JJ Jones

They are awful and nobody is going to watch. There is nothing original or innovative in the mainstream music industry in years. Complete garbage.

December 4, 2008 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  158. VinceCapece

I disagree with the first poster ( Eric Schultz ); it's not a reflection of the sorry state of the music industry...it's a reflection of the sorry state of the music business! Excellent musicians and songs and albums abound, but the music business pushes garbage on us day in and day out. From the poor choices of commercial radio stations to the narrow range of satellite radio, nothing new and good is being provided to the public. Okay, maybe not NOTHING good, but the good stuff is being hidden by the dreck being forced down our throats. Really, Li'l Wayne and Coldplay deserve all of these accolades? And I lost count of how many people thought the Radiohead album was worth barely what they paid for it when they downloaded it for free. I have no doubt that the music BUSINESS would fully recover if only record companies offered us something worth buying.

December 4, 2008 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Sarah Stern

They are dead-on with Coldplay's nomination for Viva la Vida. Best album of the year, hands down.

December 4, 2008 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Nina

I just don't undertand how Alicia Keys album "As I Am" didn't get nominated. That was by far the best album out of the R&B category, and by far one of her most creative! I probably won't watch it this time around...I feel as though they cheated Alicia!!!

December 4, 2008 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Sandy

I agree . . . Coldplay is highly overrated - and has produced a very arrogant and obnoxious Chris Martin. And Kanye West? He's a joke . . . nothing more than a common hoodlum. Why his record label even bothers wasting money on him and P.R. . . . give the youth a good role model, not some talentless scum bag with an overblown ego like him. And nominate him for so many awards? Gimme a break! If that's all you can come up with, better forget the awards altogether. Throw the money, publicity and P.R. machine towards someone like Alicia Keys who has real talent and carries herself with dignity. And Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Smith, etc. Each represent someone for the young people to look up to.

December 4, 2008 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Jodi

KOL, Duffy.... where is Keane?

December 4, 2008 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  163. jesse

much ado about nothing

December 4, 2008 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  164. tom shiverdecker

music just isn"t what it use to be.; now it's more politics to be nominated than talent.The grammys are now boring to watch and worse to listen to.musical talent has been replaced by electronic gizmos.Hear the song, then hear it in person, it"s bad man, really bad

December 4, 2008 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Erik

The Grammy's have been a joke for a very long time now....most of the nominations are based on basically whats "popular" and what the music industry is shoving down our throats....which to be honest at least 80% of the stuff isn't real music, its manufacturing crap.....most of the acts at the grammy's lip sync their songs....its a joke!

There are some legit nominations and performances, but the american music industry has a lot left to be desired and needs a major overhaul

December 4, 2008 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  166. barbara

All i can say is,,,Kanye West again??? If there was an award for biggest ego,, he would win hands down. Boring, yawn...........

December 4, 2008 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Sue L

A category that doesn't get too much attention, "Best Folk Album", this year has a nominee that is so well-deserved it defies words. Kathy Mattea's "Coal" is a collection of coal mining songs and I would defy a listener to go unaffected after carefully listening to the words of each song. We, as Americans, tend to overlook the sacrifices (life and limb) that people have put forth to extract the coal from the depths of the Earth so that we can have heat and the electricity that allows us the convenience of getting news from the Internet and being allowed to post testimonials such as this. It is a dark but poignant set of songs that should make everyone feel humbled by those who work in this less-than-glamourous industry. Well done Kathy!! Thank you for taking on this cause as well as AIDS and Alzheimers – you are a shining light in the music industry (country or folk) who doesn't get the attention or accolades that you so definitely deserve.

December 4, 2008 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Ali

I don't care much for awards shows anymore, as I tend to disagree strongly with those honored. I am glad, however, to see Jason Mraz up for a few. He probably won't win (those who should usually don't), but he deserves the credit, so at least he's getting that.

December 4, 2008 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Juan in Cleveland

Radiohead’s In Rainbows is a masterpiece. They are the modern day Pink Floyd. I’m happy to see that Metallica was also nominated. Death Magnetic was an incredible return to form for them and I think it should have been nominated for album of the year. Coldplay’s new album also did not disappoint.

December 4, 2008 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  170. jfz

Selectors gave Hillary Clinton a Grammy in 1996 for her audio version of the book, "It Takes A Village". Barack Obama, Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter have also been in the running for Grammys. The Grammy awards are now nothing more than a political soapbox that has run out of suds.

December 4, 2008 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Zach

As a fan of good rap music, I find it a shame to see that Lil Wayne was nominated for so many grammy awards. It's a poor reflection of the rap scene when someone like him represents it.

Are the Jonas Brothers seriously nominated for Best New Artists? I can't believe my eyes!

December 4, 2008 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Honest Abe

With M.I.A., Lady GaGa and Lil' Wayne receiving nominations, I think we can all see that the Grammy's are out to reward true musical talent. No – really. Maybe they should give lifetime achievement awards to Clay Aiken, Fantasia and Good Charlotte. Woo hoo!

December 4, 2008 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Steven

The Grammy's fail to look at the best music around. Look at the Best of 08 lists that are out. Fleet Foxes is in the top 5 of most, if not all of them. They didn't even get a nomination, yet Kid Rock and the Jonas Brothers get nominated. The Grammy's are hurting those that are actually good and rewarding those that are mediocre.

December 4, 2008 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Kristy

I'm disappionted that my favorite artist Gary Louris, who did a heck of a job with his first solo cd didn't get anything. I guess working hard and not putting up fluff is not rewarded.

Then again the Grammys are always a popularty contest...all though the Dixie Chicks did thank Gary at the show a few years back when they won...

Oh, well...I just go back and listen to some good music while waiting for Louris' next cd Ready For the Flood with Mark Olson...

December 4, 2008 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  175. mike

The problem with the Grammy is that it is an award given to people with scarcely any talent. It seems to be more about record sales than anything else, I think.

December 4, 2008 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  176. DavidT

I haven't cared about the Grannies since they gave the first 'Best Heavy Metal Album' award to Jethro Tull.

December 4, 2008 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Deborah in Mississippi

The Grammy Awards are like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: totally worthless.

December 4, 2008 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  178. tr

The Grammy awards are enough, why do we need a show for nominations?

December 4, 2008 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  179. janet

It was soooo boring, quite frankly I would get more fun out of watching cement dry...what a waste of time.

December 4, 2008 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Anthony

The list of nominations wasn't as exciting as last year. On the other hand, the Grammys are kind of a joke. There is no such thing as the "Album Of The Year," because the voting process is subjective to begin with. Regardless, it's always fun to see musicians you revere get recognized. Radiohead's "In Rainbows" is a five-star masterpiece that ranks among the best albums of the past five years.

December 4, 2008 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Gary

I was very happy to see Kylie Minogue nominated again for "X", her comeback CD after her battle with breast cancer a couple years ago. Madonna should study Kylie for a blueprint of how a dance music CD should be done!

December 4, 2008 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Alex Franks

I don't really listen to mainstream music, so the main categories and their nominees are foreign to me, but I was very impressed with the Alternative music nominations. Narrow Stairs by Death Cab For Cutie was one of, if not the best complete albums I listened to all year, and I was pleased to see it recognized. Also great to see Kings of Leon, Flight of the Conchords and the wonderful Neil Young get nods too.

December 4, 2008 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Jane

Grammy nominations are a joke. The Best Male Pop Vocal Performance category is useless when it does not include one of the best male vocalists in the business. Yes, I'm talking about Clay Aiken, and no, you have no right to disagree with me because you haven't listened to his latest album. It was produced by Grammy winner Kipper, and recorded by the musicians from Steely Dan, and with the addition of Clay Aiken's powerful voice, they've created one of the best pop albums of this year.

December 4, 2008 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  184. Tankman

Raising Sand is a horrible album! In trying to give it away after I bought it, I had to give it to 4 people before one said he would keep it!

December 4, 2008 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Irene Karp

I think coldplay is so overrated, I know so many other bands are as well
    my girl's love the Jonas Bros, cute they are, but not exactly talented and
    Miley can't sing to save her life, coldplay does not deserve seven nominations, I guess they are the best of the worst.

December 4, 2008 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Dan

In my opinion, the nominations were extremely disappointing.

More so than in other years, it seemed as though appearing at the AMA's meant a snub at the Grammy's. There was some brilliant female R&B available during the nominating period and it was hardly recognized.

This looks to be a fairly dull telecast based on these nominations...

December 4, 2008 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  187. steve

I am excited to see Plant and Krauss up for several awards. The cd is great and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Adele. What a voice. I can relate to her Dusty Springfield sound which is good company to be related too.

December 4, 2008 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  188. Brian in San Francisco

DUFFY rules! I gifted her album, "Rockferry" to many friends and they all loved it. I still listen to it from beginning to end–it's incredibly soulful retro R&B/pop. I hope she wins Best New Artist.

December 4, 2008 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  189. Robert

After Milli Vanilli – who puts any stock in a 'Grammy'?

December 4, 2008 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  190. Eric Schultz

The sorry state of the music industry is reflected in the nominees. The Racontours and Radiohead deserve nominations as do Nine Inch Nails and other bands that aren't so popular with the "Grammies" or critics, but consistently produce fabulous music and have some of the best live shows ever.

December 4, 2008 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |