October 15th, 2008

Mark Wahlberg's new catchphrase

A couple of weeks ago my colleagues and I were talking about the "Mark Wahlberg Talks to Animals" sketch on "Saturday Night Live", and decided it was one of the funnier ones on that week's show.

There wasn't much to it, but it was surreal and oddly hilarious nonetheless. Andy Samberg, spot-on as Wahlberg, well, talked to animals. After his one-sided conversations with some of the critters wrapped up, he'd move on with, "Say hi to your mother for me."

Fast forward to Monday night. I was talking to Wahlberg at the red-carpet premiere of his new movie, "Max Payne," at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood. After asking him a few questions about the film, I just couldn't resist: what did he think of being poked fun of on "SNL"?

Wahlberg smiled. "It wasn't as funny as the Sarah Palin skit - it's not quite that good - but it's flattering," he said. And, he added, "now I got a new catchphrase" - one, he observed, he's never said in real life. (Isn't that always the case? Cary Grant never said, "Judy, Judy, Judy" either.)

With that, Wahlberg thanked me, shook my hand, and told me to, you know ...

– Douglas Hyde, CNN Entertainment Producer

Filed under: Celebrities • television

« Previous entry
  1. bielizna codzienna

Really decent blog post. We simply located ones own site and even wished to help you declare which will We have seriously appreciated examining ones own web site and even discussions. However I’ll end up signing up ones own rss feed and even As i expect to help you read through ones own web site all over again.

May 13, 2011 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rachel

The skit is available at hulu.com (along with some other SNL gems!)

November 2, 2008 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mark

His catch phrase should be "I don't drop my pants no mo"

October 31, 2008 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Michele

Samburg is definitely hilarious and I agree the Lawrence Welk skit had me in stitches.. lol.

October 17, 2008 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jason Williams

Typo...

I cannot STOP saying, “Say hello to ya mutha for me!”

My finace is about to kill me...

October 17, 2008 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jason Williams

I literally cannot saying, "Say hello to ya mutha for me!"

I thought the entire episode was one of the best in a long time.

The Lawrence Welk skit made us cry laughing and Anne Hathaway was fantastic and very talented.

October 17, 2008 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lady N

I thought the skit was hilarious! His accent and perfect. Is there a link where I can watch this again? HULU, Youtube?

October 16, 2008 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. shiffey

I have met Mark a couple of times and he was pretty layed back. I am a fan of him and SNL. I thought the skit was hillarious! His accent was right on. There is no reason for anyone to be upset when spoofed on SNL, it's all part of being in the lime light – be flattered not pissed.

October 15, 2008 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kat

I loved the sketch. Samberg is great.
    Loved him when he and his friends were doing Lonely Island.

October 15, 2008 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. nick

I thought the skit was awesome as well. But kept thinking I must have missed the movie he says that in.

Now knowing that it was random makes it even cuter. Thanks!

October 15, 2008 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jason

That skit is hilarious because Andy Samberg is the only funny cast member on SNL today. Everyone else is pretty mild to just lame. The sad thing is that he is rarely on the show. He does his amazing Digital shorts instead it seems. I'd rather seem him just own the skits, but oh well...good blog. Very funny.

October 15, 2008 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. rc

can't find it on youtube. can someone post a link?

October 15, 2008 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bobby D

You eat apples right? I produce Entourage.

Classic.

Say hi to your motha for me aight?

October 15, 2008 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dan

Samberg did a great impression, but that skit was the worst. It was the same joke 5 times in a row. Probably took 2 seconds to write.

October 15, 2008 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Steven

Umm, Doug, that skit aired on Saturday, October 4th. 11 days ago. I'm not sure how you and your colleagues talked about it "a couple of weeks ago".

October 15, 2008 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Chris

You actually went to the Happening, and you're blaming Mark Wahlberg? He's a good actor (did you see The Departed?), but can't save another weak movie from M. Night.

October 15, 2008 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Bob Lana

Umm, you talked to your colleagues two weeks ago? About a skit that aired 11 days ago?? Interesting...

October 15, 2008 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Nathan Bookman

The skit really was hilarious. The funniest part is that Mark Wahlberg really is that bad of an actor. He's horrible, essentially playing the same character in every movie that he's been in. How this guy went from being "Marky-Mark" from the "Funky Bunch" to an A-list Hollywood actor, is beyond me.

October 15, 2008 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Brian

skit was hilarious. mark whatever you are..wahlbergs movies arent that bad...happening did suck but i like him, seems like a reg joe

October 15, 2008 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Brad

Skit was GREAT! It's clearly a parody of the Mark Wahlberg we all see in the movies. Reminded me of the "Al Pacino Checks His Bank Balance" skit by Bill Hader. Taking a huge celebrity with an oddity or quirk and having them do mundane things = comedy gold.

October 15, 2008 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  21. melissa

i think andy samberg is soooo stupid and incredibly unfunny. however, the mark wahlberg sketch was hysterical. i hope andy samberg only comes out of his black hole to play mark wahlberg from now on.

October 15, 2008 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Glen D.

I'll grant you that "The Happening" could have been much better but I actually like Mark in pretty much every movie I've seen with him. However, the main point here is that Andy pulled off his voice and persona to perfection during that skit. I would be happy to see him revise the role again and again...perhaps he could, "talk to kids" or "talk to homeless people" or "talk to palin" – that would be AWESOME!!

October 15, 2008 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Rene

"Hey dog..I like your fur, it looks real good on you."

"Maybe we could do a movie together. I'm totally serious, it could be huge!"

LMAO!

It's sheer simplicity and stupidity is what made it hilarious – and Andy's spot-on, dead-ringer impersonation of Mark! (except not as hot – okay, the man's no Academy Award winner, but Mark is FRIGGIN' HOT!)

October 15, 2008 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Michele

I did not see Perfect Storm.. I think everyone did but me..ha.

October 15, 2008 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Fred

"I had a beard like that in the Perfect Storm. Did you see that movie?"

October 15, 2008 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Michele

I personally thought the skit was hilarious.. Andy Samberg is definitely one of my faves on SNL. Anyone seen "Hot Rod"??? If not, go rent it..it's funny. There's a scene where he's in the forest dancing to hideous 80s music...and well..you just have to see it to understand. It's ridiculous comedy at its best. :)

October 15, 2008 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jon

I pulled up that episode last night on my DVR just to watch it again. It's a great skit, simple and funny. It reminds me of how good SNL can be at it's best.

October 15, 2008 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sean

I lost it when he said "You like to eat apples. I produce Entourage."

October 15, 2008 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  29. rw

I can't believe anyone thought that sketch was funny. With the exception of the political humor the writing on SNL is at an all time low.

October 15, 2008 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  30. disco stu

"So your a dog. What's thats all about?

A line so simplistic but yet so vastly encompassing asked in the Mark Wahlberg Boston accent & attitude.

2 words – Comedy Genius. I loved it.
    I ask my dog that everyday, but as yet, have not received an answer. Blast that canine code of silence!!

October 15, 2008 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Tom

Seriously. People spend their time, let alone their lives, thinking about this stuff. Come on folks, let's try and be a productive member of society. And I know, I wasted a good 4.5 minutes of my life just now.

October 15, 2008 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Dave

Wahlberg is great! Mark you don't know what you're talking about. You must have missed him in "Departed" and "Invincible". "The Italian Job"? C'mon already, from what I hear "The Happening" just plain sucked. Now go say hi to your mother for me.

October 15, 2008 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Seth

Wow, this was lame.

October 15, 2008 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Billy McClelland

This sketch was too funny. The premise was brilliantly absurd, and Andy's impersonation was so dead on. What really made it funny to me was the combination of him talking so straight and seriously in such a ridiculous context. Mark Wahlberg may be acting a little more receptive of the skit now than when it first aired, but that's because it seems that everyone is asking him about it or commenting on it. I hope they keep doing sketches with Andy doing this impersonation because it's one of the funniest things i've seen lately.

October 15, 2008 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  35. songspeakmusic

We have not been able to stop saying, 'Say Hi to Your Mother For Me' at in quite awhile.

October 15, 2008 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Chris

I read somewhere else that Mark Wahlberg was all uptight about the whole thing, and saying that he only saw it on youtube, and didn't find it funny and that "they've asked him to host a bunch of times", and he keeps turning them down because "SNL hasn't been funny in years"

October 15, 2008 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  37. David

Acting skrills?

October 15, 2008 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  38. shdrew

Ha! That's so funny that you have this blog up because I happened upon that sketch on Hulu and LOVED IT. In fact, I just bulletined it to all my friends on MySpace. Samberg's impersonation is indeed spot-on (I hope he'll be doing MW more in the future); and the chicken's reactions in the sketch are priceless!!!!!!

October 15, 2008 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Lucy

Say hi to your mother for me...

October 15, 2008 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  40. brian

i love the line to the donkey, "you eat apples, right? i produce entourage," that made the two things sound like equal accomplishments. because each task requires the same amount of brain cells and burnt calories

October 15, 2008 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  41. DL

I thought the sketch was almost as good as one of my all time favorites which was Tracy Morgan as Brian Fellows – "Where's that snake's arms?!" Just hilarious.

October 15, 2008 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Big D

The Happinging is in my top ten worst movies ever, half the movie was sceens of blowing trees and grass, but Wahlberg is a good actor, just caught up in a bad plot. Tuff job for the director, "OK, lets get some more shots of wind and that a wrap."

October 15, 2008 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  43. eric

It was probably one of the funniest skits on SNL in the last 10 years.

October 15, 2008 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Sarah Lena

I second Anthony's comment; "A lot of people want to eat you. I just want to talk to you, okay?" is used EVERYWHERE we go now.

Which is awesome.

October 15, 2008 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  45. tommy

bad actor? have you not seen boogie nights!?!

October 15, 2008 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  46. nick spezio

the phrase "say hi to your mom for me" is from the movie "back to the future".

October 15, 2008 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Rick

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

October 15, 2008 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Christine

Oh yeah, my boyfriend and I thought it was the funniest skit of the night. Andy Samberg did a really good job–he really sounded like him!

"I like your beard. I had a beard in the movie, The Perfect Storm. Did you see that movie, goat?"

Haha!

October 15, 2008 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Noel S. Cabayo

Of course!

October 15, 2008 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  50. joe

it's andy samberg, not sandberg

October 15, 2008 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Mark

Wahlberg is the worst! The happening was the worst movie ever.
    But this lack of acting skrillls killed it. I was hoping he would kill himself
    in the move! But alas, he survived with his deadpan acting all the way
    to the end. Worst MOVIE Ever. Now go say hi to your motta for me.

October 15, 2008 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Rebecca

Gosh darn hilarious... "Now I'm going to talk to a goat, hey goat, what's up?..."

October 15, 2008 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Anthony Cantu

It's catching on here in Kansas City (at least with my immediate circle of acquaintances as well as my wife's).

"A lot of people want to eat you. I just want to talk to you, okay?"

It is definitely hilarious.

October 15, 2008 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  54. chris

that skit was funny because of the great impression, because the premise was so stupid, and especially because of the reaction shots of the animals

October 15, 2008 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  55. Mike

I saw the skit the night it aired, and then I met Mr. Wahlberg that following Monday when he was a guest on a radio show and I happened to be in the studio. The guy was completely cool, and very nice. He and Ludacris were promoting Max Payne, and both seemed very down to earth people.

I thought the skit was very funny, and after meeting Mr. Wahlberg, Sandberg's impression was dead on. Glad to hear Mr. Wahlberg took it in stride.

October 15, 2008 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  56. Gerald

fascinating.........

October 15, 2008 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  57. Stacie

That skit was hilarious. I keep saying to everyone that will listen, "Now, I'm gonna talk to a donkey."

October 15, 2008 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |