September 25th, 2008

New-old Johnny Cash, Kinks

Good things to look forward to this fall:

- The Associated Press is reporting that a lost recording by Johnny Cash, “I Am the Nation,” will be released as part of “Johnny Cash’s America,” a documentary on the Biography Channel. The documentary will run on October 23; a DVD/CD companion package comes out October 28.

“I Am the Nation” is a recitation in which Cash talks about the United States through mentions of important people and events in American history. The recording was found among his personal effects after his death.

Cash, of course, is no stranger to statements about America; indeed, some of his greatest songs touch on issues that have united - or divided - the country. Think of “Ragged Old Flag” or “Man in Black,” or songs focusing on specific figures such as “The Ballad of Ira Hayes.”

- Kinks fans, get ready. The long-awaited Kinks box set is going to be a reality December 1 - at least in the UK. It’s called “Picture Book,” and it will run through the band’s entire career from 1964 onward.

According to Universal Music, which is releasing the set, the six-disc collection was compiled by Ray Davies and features an essay on the Kinks by rock critic Peter Doggett. (I guess John Mendelsohn wasn’t available.) The box includes more than 100 tracks, “a third of which are previously unreleased or new to CD,” according to a press release.

Now, anyone who’s followed this space knows I’m a huge Kinks fan, and I can’t wait for this box. But all I can find is references to the UK release; I’m trying to determine if it’s coming out in the U.S., where the Kinks had a more convoluted record company history. (I’ve got an e-mail to a Universal Music publicist - I’ll follow up if I get any response.)

Also, I hope the recordings - which were sonically muddled in the Shel Talmy days, though that was part of their force - have been remastered and cleaned up a bit … though not too much. Castle and Sanctuary have done a nice job with the titles they’ve handled; those works should be the model.

Thanks to Ron Sexsmith for the tip (and for those who like Sexsmith, keep an eye on CNN.com for a forthcoming story - and go see him on tour. He’s terrific).

– Todd Leopold, CNN.com Entertainment Producer

Filed under: Uncategorized

Next entry »
  1. Judith

I've loved the Kinks ever since the British invasion days and Johnny Cash was a musical genius and a national treasure–his Ride This Train album is one of the greatest ever about America.

October 1, 2008 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. #1 Kinks Fan

Let's hope for a U.S. coast to coast multi-city Kinks reunion soon. If they don't reunite just one more time (the smaller venues please) for themselves and for their true fans, it would be a termendous loss for everyone.

September 29, 2008 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Caitlin

Just got into the Kinks recently...I feel guilty for not listening sooner, but considering that I was born about 20 years after they debuted, it's not all that disconcerting. I'm sure that box set, if it reaches our shores, will school me a bit more than the greatest hits 1970-86 doubledisc I currently possess...

September 26, 2008 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sexsmith Fan

Waiting in anticipation for your upcoming story on the amazing Ron Sexsmith.

September 26, 2008 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. Slim Volume

afaic RON SEXSMITH is God. He's Paul McCartney with John Lennon's heart. He's the best songwriter working today. Sings beautifully, too. And a bag of chips.

September 26, 2008 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. Greg in TO

Dave Davies is God!

September 25, 2008 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. tom

maybe the members of the Kinks can act like adults and do some promotion for the box set !

September 25, 2008 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brian

Hmmm, I was hoping there would be a long lost recording of Johnny Cash singing with the Kinks. Or at least a recording of Cash singing "Dedicated Follower of Fashion". There is an interesting Kinks study here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8zNHUB28yY

September 25, 2008 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joe

Splendid news on all counts. I quite enjoy the Kinks, especially Village Green, Arthur, Something Else and the non-album singles. I agree that Sexsmith is also worthy and it is a shame that he and his tunes aren't better known.

September 25, 2008 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sexsmith rocks

Ron Sexsmith is waay underappreciated - so nice shoutout to him. I saw him years ago at the Westbeth Theater in NYC, and Elvis Costello was sitting a few folding chairs over!

September 25, 2008 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |