September 22nd, 2008

Tina Fey, Sarah Palin, and a purse

Has anyone seen Tina Fey’s purse? She came into the press room and announced that she couldn’t find it. She said it’s a “purple purse with an iPhone in it with a picture of a naked toddler.” She didn’t mention anything about a reward.

Fey’s series “30 Rock” won Best Comedy for the second year in a row, but when she came backstage everyone wanted to talk about her impersonation of Sarah Palin on "Saturday Night Live." Fey, a Democrat, quickly said she hoped the role was a limited run.

“I want to be done playing this lady November 5th,” she said.

Fey said she was “very resistant” to acknowledging the resemblance between her and Palin. But, she admitted, others saw things differently. When her small child saw Palin on TV, Fey recalled, there was an immediate response: “There’s Mommy!”

– Matt Carey, CNN Entertainment Producer

Filed under: Uncategorized

« Previous entry
  1. jane

yes and ...""To quote Sen. Joe Biden: “When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the televison set and didn’t just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, ‘Look, here’s what happened.""

It's remarks like this that make Obama and Biden so laughable. They should be on SNL they wouldn't even need to be portrayed by anyone just stand there and make their goof ball remarks to the Homer Simpsons of America. All hail Obama.... DOH!

October 12, 2008 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Benst

To quote Sen. Joe Biden: "When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the televison set and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'"

When are they going to say on NBC Saturday Night Live that Sen. Joe Biden said that? When are they going to do a comedy sketch on that remark?

NEVER!

NBC SNL has run comedy sketches that are anti-McCain, anti-Palin written by Democratic candiate for the Senate from Minnesota–Al Franken.
    NBC SNL does not want, and will not air, comedy sketches written by Republican candiates running for office.

I am an Independent, and this show is so far to the left it is not watchable. I do not watch shows that lean far to the right either.

I am a lot more worried about Sen. Joe Biden being a heartbeat away from the Presidency than I am about Gov. Sarah Palin.

September 29, 2008 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dee

Sarah Palin asked a reporter "What exactly does a VP do?". HONEST TO GOD. Check it out online or on YouTube...it has the actual clip!!!!!

September 28, 2008 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mom

My favorite was the old SNL Ross Perot skit. The reason people get mad is because the SNL skits are so good. As long as they make fun of everybody, it is good.

September 26, 2008 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jackie in Dallas

Wow, how vicious some of these blog comments are. It is odd how when it is a Democrat being skewered that you think it is funny, but not when it is a Republican. Wonder why? Why do you think SNL has such high ratings consistently? Because they are equal opportunity comics who parody both sides. Or have you forgotten all the Clinton stuff?

As one of the other posters said, this is comedy, folks, not serious news! When did you get so grim? Even Gerald Ford, who was endlessly skewered for his clumsiness, thought it was funny and even parodied the parody of himself. Lighten up!

Besides, Palin has set herself up for this. Any person, man or woman, who says they are ready Day 1 to take over the Presidency has some serious reality issues. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Abraham Lincoln...even Kennedy, Eisenhower, and Roosevelt...all expressed feelings of inadequacy for the office. No amount of experience in any other field can prepare you for the Presidency; and she's not even running for President! So far, the McCain campaign has kept her appearances to photo ops, scripted speeches, and a couple of very superficial questions. Until we see an unscripted, extemporaneous Sarah, expounding at length without a script, we won't really know who she is. That is life in the political limelight, and if she - and you, her supporters - can't take it, she's DEFINITELY not ready. You going to pout and cry if foreign dignitaries ignore her or speak harshly? That's the way politics is, and she better get used to it, as should you, for the next 40 days!

September 26, 2008 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ruthraldaba

It seems Americans have forgotten how to laugh. SNL is a comedy and therefore should not be taken seriously. With the economic mess they are right now, they should learn to laugh more even at their own expense.

September 26, 2008 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. Linda

Why is everyone so mean? I don't know why people can't just be nice. Like my mom taught me, 'If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.' Treat others like you'd like to be treated, even when you are writing anonymously on a blog. Please. The world will be a better place.

September 25, 2008 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Poulain

Kelana–They actually have been making fun of Obama for a long time. Fred Armisen is the SNL person who does him. Last season, they did a skit on the "3 a.m" Clinton commercial with both Obama and Clinton in it.

September 25, 2008 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Valerie

I thought the SNL skit was FUNNY (I recorded it and I'm still watching the opening skit). I watched it for what it was – something funny. Sometimes people are so skeptical and think there has to be something to what is being done. So what if they want to present their views in a skit? I'm sure if given the opportunity to do so, we might all do that. I believe SNL will be doing skits on McCain, Obama and Palin. I'm not sure about Biden. Will all that is going on, can't we just have a laugh without making people feel bad for having fun? If Sarah Palin thought it was funny, should she not feel that way because that would make her a bad person?

September 25, 2008 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Caroline

Interesting how the one with the brain is alway the first to be picked on.

Fey may try to imitate Palin on the easy stuff, but when it comes to needing a brain and real guts, there's a reason why Palin is where she is versus Fey who would be laughed out of any office of actual importance, unless she's there to entertain.

September 25, 2008 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. NIKKI

Tina Fey is a great comedian. She impersonated Sarah Palin perfectly. I support Tina Fey and her impersonations. I do not know why people are bashing on her. Take a joke, people!

September 24, 2008 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jane

Tina Fey wants to be done playing Palin come November....she should remember the words a wise person once said "There is no such thing as a small part, only SMALL MINDED ACTORS. Really I don't think she has to worry about it. Her career will fizzle out before our very eyes. After all she is no Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman or Meg Ryan now is she?

September 24, 2008 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Johnny

Come on people the country is in trouble. What you saw was a beautiful woman playing a beautiful woman. One is a great actress and the other is a great house wife, but neither is qualified to be in office.

September 24, 2008 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Peanut Gallery, Asheville, NC

whoops. I meant Fred Armisen played Obama, not Horatio Sanz.

September 24, 2008 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Peanut Gallery, Asheville, NC

If anyone follows the SNL political parodies they will recall the skit a few months ago showing a debate between Poehler's Clinton and Sanz's Obama in which the media asks Clinton tough questions and then asks if Obama needs his pillow fluffed. It was a skit lampooning the media's seemingly affectionate relationship with Obama. IT WAS A PARODY. ON OBAMA. AND THE MEDIA.
    I read that during the 2000 election both the Gore camp and the Bush camp followed their SNL political sketches closely to find out how they were being portrayed, because parody is based in an element of truth. Anyone remember "Strategery" and "Lockbox"? Hilarious.
    The Fey/Poehler sketch is also based in truth. Palin, when asked on GMA, didn't know what the Bush Doctrine is. Palin doesn't believe global warming is caused by humans. Palin doesn't have the foreign policy experience of the other candidates. That wasn't the point of the sketch, any more than saying Clinton has "cankles" was the purpose.
    The whole point of the sketch was the very end, when Phoeler/Clinton encouraged the media to ask tough questions of the candidates regardless of their gender and to "grow a pair and if you can't, I will lend you mine." As a female I think that’s a very, very valid point!
    There’s no need to attack Fey personally; she is entitled to her opinions and all of her success she has earned through hard work. No question that woman puts her all into what she does and has produced truly funny material. That’s commendable, regardless of political views.
    I encourage everyone to check out http://www.factcheck.org to see where candidates stand on issues. Helps to dispel all the crazy rumors about stances on issues and have real discussions.

September 24, 2008 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Barbara Feigin

Now I know why there are wars and hatemongering. I have never read such mean, terrible things about another human being. Tina Fey is a commedian. Where are all these loving Christians? Certainly not on this page. These comments are really scary.

September 24, 2008 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kevin

For all the people wondering why blogs are hateful and spiteful, welcome to the Internet. If you think this is a Dem vs. Rep issue, it's deeper than that. A lot, not all, of users on the internet feel anonymous and, in my opinion, show their true personality.

The only reason why people in the "real world America" don't have the same nasty remarks are that they have to see the people they would say it to, and that is "too gutsy" to do.

It's a shame really. I think some Americans are faking life just like the financial world, politicians, and the like. Just do what's right, all the time, and we'd be better off as an economy, nation, world. Kind of off topic, but I just read "why so nasty" remarks.

September 24, 2008 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Leena

""Undecided" no more!!!!!" You're going to base your decision to vote Republican on a SNL skit??

No wonder the rest of the world laughs at us.

September 24, 2008 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  19. DemDiva

I have to agree with 'cranchel' – where have your senses of humor gone? One of our best qualities as humans is our ability to laugh at ourselves – but if we take ourselves too seriously we just end up looking like whiney-piney babies. Have you seen the dude on SNL doing Obama with his ears sticking out like open car doors on a taxi – I think it's hilarious!!
    And do me one more favor – could we not assume that DEMOCRAT always means LIBERAL! Not all REPUBLICANS are NEO-CONS are they?

September 24, 2008 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Janelle Lenton, Tampa, FL

I think her impersonation was funny on SNL but her comments off the show don't mean a thing to me. She is a funny writer and performer but not my source of information regarding the upcoming election. Too bad so many people rely on show business for education.

September 24, 2008 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  21. Anne in Fla

Yes to the one who commented about how awful Mary Tyler Moore appears on TV. She is seriously ill with diabetes. Have a heart.

But there is one who looks worse, and this by her own choice. Jamie Lee Curtis is so ugly with her chopped off grey hair that I find her to be sickening. So much so that I turn her off as soon as she comes on.
    Crimeynee! Do something about yourself woman!! UGLEEEEY!!

Tina Fey vs Sarah Palin? tee hee hee.... Funny! You go girl. We need more exposure of any kind about this overly inflated hockey puk.
    All she needs is a purse so we can all bow and scrape to her blatant femininity. Would I ever vote a ticket with her on it? Are you kidding me? Do pigs fly? Duh. BTW, I am a woman.

September 24, 2008 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  22. Independant

PJR
    What would be truly great is for SNL to have Palin on before the election. In fact what would be really great is to have Sarah Palin do Tina Fey’s news anchor sketch. We’ve seen how Fey does Palin. Let’s see how Palin does Fey!

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA!!! IF MCCAINS PEOPLE WERE SMART THEY WOULD GET BACK ON SNL WITH HER! MCCAIN HAS DONE SNL BEFORE AND HE WAS PRETTY FUNNY.

September 23, 2008 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Independant

Okay this is ridiculous! Comedy is comedy and if you are offended then you may want to take a look inward and wonder why? The skit with Palin was funny. The skit with McCain was funny. The skit with the reporters and polar bears was funny! They are making fun of both sides here. They take a stereotype or a public perception, whether it be right or not, and then take it to an extreme. That is why it is funny! It is ridiculous!! It is all about characters and making them bigger than life! If you seriously are going to vote based on a few jokes then you really have a problem. I read on here where someone "KT" didn't get the polar bear skit. That was a dig on liberal media, elitest New Yorkers, City Folk (HA!). It also made fun of a rural, remote area and their "Redneck" citizens. I read there is no one making fun of Obama, I have seen a few. They haven't been very good. They will come, they always do. They didn't make fun of Govenor Howard Dean until he made that wierd yell! Then it was on! I realize this is a trying time and a stressful time. This is a very competitive election, people have to get used to barriers being broken and struggle with holding on to what they know. Just remember we are all in this together. We don't agree all the time but we don't have to. Fundamentally we can all agree on this Red, White, Blue, Green, Black, Man, Woman, Conservative, Liberal, or whatever you are, you are a part of this beautiful country and wish it to be better!

September 23, 2008 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  24. pjr

What would be truly great is for SNL to have Palin on before the election. In fact what would be really great is to have Sarah Palin do Tina Fey's news anchor sketch. We've seen how Fey does Palin. Let's see how Palin does Fey!

September 23, 2008 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  25. gerey

It blows my mind how many people are basing their vote on a political satire. I think SNL has not been great lately and this brought it back. The sketch about incest is SNL depicting the desperation of the media to continue riding the wave of the "Palin selection shock". It isn't suggesting that there was actual incest – since SNL isn't a news outlet – it is simply showing that the media is so desperate to write a story about Palin they are willing to say anything. This is more of an attack on The New York Times and their inability to comprehend any happenings outside of New York. I am tired of conservatives crying wolf and then being the wolf themselves.

September 23, 2008 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Peter

David, I agree with every single word of your response. It is unbelievable that people can spend so much time, energy and effort on such nonsense, that in the long run just makes them appear to be so stupid and "angry" people to the outside world. Whatever happened to good old fashion morals and being polite.

September 23, 2008 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  27. ivy

What happened to freedom of speech? What happened to having a good sense of humor? By the way, I've seen impersonations of Obama on SNL and I've laughed my head off. But then, I don't take things too seriously, nor do I try to impose my views on others!. Just call me a liberal!

September 23, 2008 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Annie

I have never seen one person bring about so much fear in the democratic wing of government. When did the VP choice ever make so many people swoon with outright anger and fear? Never in my 54 years have I seen such a fiasco about a little lady....why are the Dems so scared? This is a Pesidential Election...VP just goes for the ride. You guys were in high cotton there for awhile...I mean even in the foam "temple" so your god could walk out...What kind of ego requests the stage look like a temple...that is fu.

You see what we see....a winner and it scares the hell out of you.
    Go McCain and Palin...kick ass.

September 23, 2008 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Boo-hoo cry baby

Its just a joke! Lighten up!

September 23, 2008 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Beth Jersey

Thanks goodness there is finally some real investigative reporting going on at CNN! I was so pleased to see that your team of crack reporters was able to unearth the stupidest person in America in last night’s broadcast of ShowBiz Tonight. They devoted considerable time discussing a woman who had left an anonymous message indicating that she was thinking of voting for John McCain because the stars on the Emmy red carpet were “so mean to Sarah Palin.” Excellent!! Had I known choosing the next president of the United States was this easy I wouldn’t have spent so much time researching the candidates. But I am confused. If this individual really wanted to cast the pity vote, why did she not choose Barack Obama to vote for? After all, was it no less than the gentleman and scholar Rush Limbaugh who labeled Obama a communist, anti-American, and…wait for it…a Harvard grad?

Maybe it is time to suggest to this poor, confused soul that she spend some time reading her basic civics text from elementary school that explains how important the right to voice your opinion in public and vote are. She might want to pay a little more attention to what your reporters called “snarky remarks” by the actors, but were in truth legitimate concerns regarding a ghastly choice for a vice president candidate.

And maybe it is time for your crack reporters to get back to reporting on what they know best: vapid, self-centered beauty queens…oh, I guess that is what they were talking about after all!

Sincerely,

An informed American voter and proud of it,
    Beth Jersey

September 23, 2008 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Annie

Renee B......right on. I say to hell with all of NBC and any news organization that shows clear bias.

That is one reason why reality TV is so popular...those are real people who know they are just people...not stars who think they are stars...give me a break..

September 23, 2008 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  32. k in florida

For anyone who decides to change their vote based upon a comedy sketch, Please don't Vote, this election is too important for you to make a mockery of. Please leave the big decisions to people who can tell the difference between reality and television.

September 23, 2008 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  33. jes

they have parodied obama. a lot. pay attention people!! seriously, pay attention, not to just to the things that you can get up in arms about, ACTUALLY PAY ATTENTION. i only repeat this so much because SO MANY PEOPLE SEEM TO NOT BE GETTING IT. also by "liberal bias," i think you may mean "freedom of speech." i know a lot of people just went ahead and burned their copies of the constitution after it got a little muddy these last few years, but look it up on the internet-it's there.

September 23, 2008 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  34. LouAnn

Tina Fey went down in my book as playing the most disgusting and dispicable skit ever on TV. I dare say she would not have done one with OBAMA coming in and chopping a aborted baby that survived to make damn sure it is dead....why not that at least shows what the wants.
    Leave the young girl and all of Palin's family alone! You crossed the line!
    SNL go to Hell

September 23, 2008 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Mags

well i can see that NONE of you have a sense of humor

September 23, 2008 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Yoyo&Soya

All I can say is thank god for SNL, Tina Fey and the whole artistic community for highlighting, through tasteful (not to mention hilarious)parody , the ugly reality of american politics.

September 23, 2008 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Debra Williams

I'm a Democrat and I found Tina Fey's comments concerning Sarah Palin rather offensive. Palin is still a candidate for the Vice President of the United States and deserves a certain amount of respect (as does John McCain), whether the Republicans or the Democrats win. I realize that everyone is entitled to "freedom of speech", but the Emmy Award show used for political statement is unnecessary and rather classless on Ms. Fey's part ( as was ll the other little "digs". Contrary to the popular opinion of Hollywood, the rest of the US doesn't exactly look to them for their politics.

September 23, 2008 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Fey did a dead-on job with Palin!

Palin's mid-west 'twang with the lack of any real value to her words or ability was dead-on! The only reason Republicans want Palin is because McCain said so...Republicans are unable to think without a mouthpiece and because Palin is touted so vehemently, her spin doctors are doing a great job of convincing the feeble-minded in thought of how to vote. Not with what the reality is about her. That woman has no business running our country. McCain – yes/ Palin – NO WAY!

September 23, 2008 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Steve

Dear Hard-working Americans,

As a resident of Madison Avenue and owner of a fully paid 10,000 sq. foot apartment with a maid and a chef, I would like to remind you that Sarah Palin is out of touch with you and cannot possibly understand your needs. I can. Hold on one moment, I cannot find my $7,000 purse that I bought last weekend when I flew out west on my private jet (which I used with my carbon credits I earned when I reduced my home electricity use to less than a small city).

Anyway, back to this gun-toting, no experience governor from Siberia. Don't let her tell you what is right for the working man, that is what Jon Stewart and Barbara Streisand are for. And remember, she is not a true woman. After all, she does not support our right to abort a baby at 364 days by sucking the brain out of its tiny skull. James, is the car ready, I have a 10am spa appointment......

Regards,
    Tina Fey

September 23, 2008 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  40. Gramble

Why should anyone actually care what Hollywood thinks about the candidates – least of all a parody troupe like SNL! SNL has become trashy and classless, unlike the 'edgy' humor for which it was once known. Desperation makes people do stupid things.
    Vote for the candidate most qualified for the job!! Not because of the political party he/she represents but because he/she is most qualified to improve/manage the issues at hand. Basing your vote on a parody troupe's portrayal of the candidates would be rather pathetic.
    ...and why does a pig need a purple purse?

September 23, 2008 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  41. Donna

If you don't understand witty parody you probably can't laugh at yourselves. Chill out and quit being so literal.

September 23, 2008 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  42. Adrienne

I really don't understand why people are making such a big deal about this skit. It's not the first or last time SNL or anyone for that matter poked fun at the presidential candidates. It's sad that people are so easily swayed that some have decided to vote republican instead of democrat (or vise versa)– because of a comedy skit? Lets get real here– regardless of where Fey's political views stand any publicity is good publicity in this political race.

September 22, 2008 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Dave

"So this was personal and political for Fey. I won’t bother to watch SNL again. Too bad NBC has lost its way and become merely a mouthpiece for a political candidate."

its comments like these that crack me up. This was one of the funniest skits that SNL has put out in eons, and you say its "personal and political for Fey". Chevy Chase as Gerald Ford, Dan Akroyd as Jimmy Carter, I bet those were attacks also.............. its a TV SHOW. Get over it.

September 22, 2008 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Geo Long Beach

People, stop being such dumba#@s! SNL has been doing political spoof since I was a kid! Don't get your panties all in a wad because they are making fun of your precious Sarah!

September 22, 2008 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Bethany Price

In a democracy, the people (assuming they are given the right and reasonable access to vote) get the government they deserve. Picking personality over policy, charisma over character, likeability over leadership, insults over intelligent debate will result in an increasingly corrupt, partisan-locked and morally-bankrupt government. If we reward our leaders for lying to us, stretching the truth and name-calling in the elections, why would you think they would turn their back on that behavior once we have put them in office?

If we all make our decisions based on comedians, fake news shows, insulting celebrity endorsements, and internet gossip, rumor and innuendo, how could that possibly result in a reasonable, effective and intelligent group of leaders? There is so much information available on policy and each individual's leadership style. Pay attention to that. Don't be swayed one way or another by Tina Fey or Jeremy Pivens or Stephen Colbert. Don't vote for someone because you got your feelings hurt on behalf of someone else. Don't vote for someone because a comedian made you laugh or pissed you off. Vote because you truly believe in the ideology and vision being presented by the candidates and the campaigns. We have clear cut, very different visions for the future being proposed. Whose vision makes sense to you? Get engaged and get informed and then VOTE.

September 22, 2008 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  46. DK

Undecided – really? You are now voting for the Republican side just because you didn't like the Palin sketch?

This is sad to me. People vote because of your opinions and beliefs not because you like or dislike a comedy sketch.

I don't think celebrities should push their political beliefs but they have every right to speak them(like anyone else), especially in this case she was asked.

There will always be people with different opinions. This why we have a democracy. Debating is fine, but I find it pointless to fight with each other over a difference of opinions. So some celebrities don't like Palin. Some don't like Obama. Some people don't like me. some people don't like you. You just brush it off and be yourself.

It has been tradition of the media, SNL in particular, to mock and satire politics, sex, religion. If it really angers you that much then just don't watch. No need to wish negative things for Tina Fey or anyone who is just speaking her opinion. (again – when asked).

September 22, 2008 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Robert

Tina Fey it such a great wrtter and such a great actress. i am so happy that some channels still care about this country putting the reality in a satire.
    Tina fey should only blamed for impersonating a bad pick from the Republican. No experience and Tina is an example of smart women in this country

September 22, 2008 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  48. LAKINA

I can not believe the hypocrisy of the right wing. It is okay to lie about Obama's faith. It is okay to lie about his record. But if you make fun of Palin (like satirists have been doing for decades of both parties) you are just mean spiried. Tina Fey is brilliant. It's not her fault she looks like Sarah Palin. As a comedian though, she almost had a duty to portay her. Tina can't help it if Sarah has no experience. And check your facts. There are quite a few REPUBLICANS that feel the same way. Thank you Chuck Hagel.

September 22, 2008 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  49. KT

So, let us discuss the "enlightened" cast of SNL–I did not see it and am glad I did not, but apparently they did a little sketch this past Saturday to make fun of the New York Times. Did they find a NYT's newstory to paradoy? nope. They took a blogger's missive about Mr Todd Palin sleeping with his daughters and a union with his daughter that apparently produced a Down's Syndrome baby and then a polar bear on a snow machine killed a reporter and two other reporters met tragic deaths while in the state of Alaska.....very cute. I remember when political paradoies on SNL actually related an event or two. This was just sick–what a slam to those families with Down's Syndrome Children. Also, what a slam to families dealing with true abuse.

I used to look at Tina Fey and think, "how great to see a woman succeed and do it with such class" ...I'd like to print a retraction....

September 22, 2008 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  50. M.R. in L.A.

Goodness! Repub/conservatives are so catty – a stupid little blurb about someone losing her purse turns into another opportunity to spew vitriolic BS. What if Jim Belushi or Ted Nugent had lost their wallet last night? Do you really think the supporters of progress (Progressives) would be on here raving about what awful ugly fat lunatics they are and how they deserve their wallet to be stolen and their bank accounts emptied, and their credit cards be run-up to the limit and their NRA cards be flashed in the commission of a murder? Seriously!?! Some people need a little more laughter in their life – easily solved by watching a little more Tina Fey (Thursdays @ 9:30 on NBC).

September 22, 2008 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  51. david

Any of you wahoos who would vote based upon some comedy skit on SNL don't deserve to stand under the same flag as Jefferson, Washington, Lincoln, Kennedy, Reagan. You are in embarrassment. You demonstrate clearly to the world why we as a people are unfit to be the flag bearers of democracy and freedom. We are seen as greedy, ignorant, and inbred. Your idiotic comments in response to Tina Fey's humor are testament to why they hate us. Not because of our freedom, no they hate us because we have used our precious Constitution and Bill of Rights, and Declaration of Independence as toilet paper. Because we are so spoiled and pathetic that we don't even get what we have. Our country is about a grand democratic experiment, a call to a high level of civic engagement, not some adolescent trash talk full of ignorance and bigotry and just plain old stupidity. You can put lipstick on a pig...

September 22, 2008 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  52. LG

Renee B,

Lighten up. You'll give yourself a heart attack. Comedy brings discussion to the front of the line. I'm waiting for the Obama skit, which will probably highlight the real problems in this country- I hope you can guess what those are....

September 22, 2008 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Shel

Let us not forget, Sarah Palin is the Governor of the State of Alaska. Tina Fey is an actress on a TV show. Tina Fey generated interest when she played Sarah Palin on SNL, because people are interested in Gov. Palin, not Tina.

September 22, 2008 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  54. "Undecided" no more!!!!!

I was really upset when Hillary didn’t get the nomination, let alone the VP slot. But the way SNL & Fey trashed another woman candidate just solidified my vote for McCain & Palin. That was way over the top. This will be the first time ever that I will be voting for a Presidential candidate that was not a Democrat. I’m also done with SNL. What some trash!!!!!

September 22, 2008 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Tina Thompson

Yes, Rita, every woman should love Sarah Palin...just because she is a woman. Give me a break.

And if you think that liberals have cornered the market on divisive name-calling, perhaps you should read your own writing. And thank for waking up the Democratic base as well. Sadly for you and for Palin, there are a lot more registered Democrats than there are Republicans, and after 11/5, Palin will have a lot more time preparing her defense from the inevitable criminal charges coming to her for abusing power in her own state.

September 22, 2008 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  56. CJ

Palin has shown that you can have a family, marriage, and high power career. How is that anti-feminism? Is the only criteria for being feminine you must be pro-choice? There are many "feminists" who are also pro-life. Once an entertainer makes it big they also believe we actually care about their personal opinions. They became a "star" because of their acting ability, not because of their opinions. Most main streeters could care less what Clooney, Fey, Jolie, Pitt, or any other Hollywood star thinks politically. Spare me.....their moral compass is so twisted it only points one way-to themselves.

September 22, 2008 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Chris

What is it with the Republican party and its supporters that they always want to take their marbles and go home when ever someone lampoons one of their own. It's funny, it's satire, and did you notice they were slamming Hillary (though not nearly as much). Get a life folks. Your precious candidate made a very poor choice in a running mate, but for someone who who isn't even American, I'm sure not putting any faith in the American electorate to do the right thing and change this administration. Florida, chads, a Republican Supreme Court, quickly followed by the fiasco that was the 2004 election. Any of this ringing a bell? When Obama hopefully gets elected you will all have at least four years to watch the SNLs and the Daily Shows slam that administration. Bet you'll all be laughing then.

September 22, 2008 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Another Tina

So Rita doesn't like liberal women much?? I don't recall, but maybe someone can refresh my memory. Back in 1984 did all of the Democrats assume that Republican women would flock to vote for Walter Mondale, simply and totally based on the fact that Geraldine Ferraro was a woman? If so, I'm certain that they were mightily offended. Never mind the fact that Geraldine Ferraro had more qualfications in her pinky finger than Sarah Palin has in her entire body!

By the way, there's nothing wrong with espressing some dismay when a major political party chooses a VP candidate for the sole purpose of wooing women. If that's the most qualifiied female that the Republicans could find, then I would say for the next go-around – "DON'T BOTHER!!"

September 22, 2008 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  59. R-E-S-P-E-C-T

30 Rock is uniquely funny and Ms. Fey should be commended for her writing contribution to the show. I was very disappointed that she impersonated Gov. Palin. Her having become the first female head writer for SNL must have given her a much deserved sense of accomplishment which, hopefully, no one diminished. How sad that an accomplished women couldn't show the same respect to another
    accomplished women, politics aside. Ms. Fey will have to wonder if all the Emmy's she won were really about her talent or her politics. Since her SNL night was the highest rated in this decade and she plugged 30 Rock's streamsites and network while accepting an Emmy, I have to wonder if she hasn't gone over to the dark side of corporate politics. It's all about the ratings.

September 22, 2008 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  60. pns

bjpoole: She's old. She should have worn something with sleeves.

September 22, 2008 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  61. annoymous2

Why are dems so hateful? I was so turned off by the emmy's and the actors political views!

September 22, 2008 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  62. patty

I am dumbfounded as I read the anger and mean-spirit nature of some of these blogs. Whether Democrat or Republican, this is comedy. Political comedy has a long-standing tradition in America, and is often the catalyst of well-founded discussion. Tina Fey is an actress and a comedian (and a good one, at that), not a political analyst. Lighten up, America.

September 22, 2008 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Renee B.

Tina lost her purse? Maybe she can borrow one from Al Franken or Alec Baldwin. They both are pigs, and have pig ears! That whole group stinks! The SNL skit insinuating Todd Palin has an incestuous relationship with his daughters written by Al Franken was inexcusable. I hope Tina is done playing Sarah Palin too – because I hope Tina Fey is CANCELED, along with 30 ROCK, AND SNL! I AM SICK of this liberal media bias. If someone had slammed Obama this way, there would be calls for someone at NBC to step down today. I didn't watch the Emmy's (and for what I hear – didn't miss a thing), and the list of "entertainers" I'll be watching in the future is growing smaller by the minute.

September 22, 2008 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  64. MKA

Rita, have you given any thought to why Tina Fey and other people who have voiced educated, thought-out opinions of Sarah Palin, feel that way about her? She is the anti-thesis of every pro-feminist notion. It is people like you, who don't think about the issues, but instead make their votes based on knee-jerk reactions to "mean" attacks, that put idiots in the white house.

September 22, 2008 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  65. cranchel

It's too bad people in this country have no sense of humor any more. If you noticed, the person standing next to Fey was Amy Pohler doing Democratic Senator Hillary Clinton as smug and arrogant. I thought Fey and Pohler were the funniest thing about the show that night. Why does everyone seem to take offense to everything that is said. I think people just need to lighten up!

September 22, 2008 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  66. pjr

Anyone notice that Tina Fey looks a hell of a lot better and is far more magnetic playing Sarah Palin than she is playing herself?! No wonder the left is so worried about Palin!!

September 22, 2008 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  67. bjpoole

What is with Mary Tyler Moore? I have never seen anyone look so bad. It was just skin hanging off bone. Is She ill? What is going on?

September 22, 2008 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  68. anonymous

the only thing I noticed throughout the whole evening during the Emmys was the total 'lack of diversity' among all the nominees and winners. Glynn Turman seemed to be the only winner of color in the sea of TV people. its rather disappointing that the TV entertainment industry lacks people from different ethnic backgrounds. maybe they were there, but I didnt see any of them on camera. (well maybe America Ferrera, but anyone else? dont think so.)

September 22, 2008 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  69. Barbara Fischlowitz-Leong

You may look like Palin, but thank G-d you do not think, act of feel the way she does! I had my hair pulled back and up the other day and a friend asked me if I was taking up the PALIN STYLE. I IMMEDIATELY LET MY HAIR DOWN.

September 22, 2008 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  70. chuckjones

So this was personal and political for Fey. I won't bother to watch SNL again. Too bad NBC has lost its way and become merely a mouthpiece for a political candidate.

September 22, 2008 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  71. Kelana

I am waiting to watch an impersonation show that make fun of Obama.

September 22, 2008 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  72. Johnny Johnson

I hope Tina Fey is done playing Sarah Palin on November 5th too. Lord help us if Palin actually gets in the White House. She's unbelievably unqualified.

September 22, 2008 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  73. Republican turned Democrat

Yes, there maybe a great resemblance between Fey and Palin...the face, the eyes, the nose, the mouth. However, there is one major difference between the two, when it comes to intellect...Fey is much, much more qualified to be a vp than Palin!!!!! Palin, you need more coaching when it comes to speeches, and by the way, I just hate your squeeky voice...

September 22, 2008 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  74. Rita

I would imagine that Sarah Palin would also like to be done with you! I have never in my life seen such nasty, hateful, spiteful, just plain old biddies as these liberal women have shown themselves to be where Sarah Palin is concerned, but go ahead, you have gone a long way towards waking up the base for the McCain/Palin ticket lol.

September 22, 2008 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  75. Drew

Gee, should we give a shiite what an SNL moron thinks?

September 22, 2008 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  76. Kevin Gets

You hollywood people are so into yourselves... Tina Fey. You stink like POOOOO.

September 22, 2008 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  77. rufus

Hi Tina,
    You can sew a purse from a Sow’s ear!! (especially one with lipstick on her).
    Rufus the red fox said so

September 22, 2008 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |