June 23rd, 2008

George Carlin, 1937-2008

One of the great joys of this job is that you occasionally get to meet your heroes. And they didn’t come much bigger, for me, than George Carlin.

I was the kind of kid who repeated Carlin lines and routines to my friends (and received more Carlin lines and routines in return). I watched his specials. When my wife and I went to Las Vegas in 2002, the one show we took in was Carlin’s.

So I was intimidated, to say the least, that day in late 2004 when he came by CNN Center for an interview. In Vegas, Carlin was at his best - which meant carving sacred cows into so much finely sliced meat. At one point in his show he poked fun at the name “Todd” (an easy name to make fun of, let me tell you). I didn’t want to end up on the end of his skewer.

But the Carlin I met was everything I’d hoped for - relaxed, friendly, thoughtful, humane. He was modest about his own accomplishments, and saved his harshest (and most hilarious) words for two of his favorite targets, politics and religion.

It was 30 minutes of heaven. Though I don’t know that a lapsed Catholic realist like Carlin would have used that word. (iReport: Share your thoughts on George Carlin)

Like many fans, I find myself thinking of my favorite Carlin routines today. “Tonight’s weather forecast: Dark. Continued mostly dark tonight, followed by widely scattered light in the morning.”

Baseball has the seventh-inning stretch. Football has the two-minute warning.”

“Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.”

I will miss him.

– Todd Leopold, CNN.com Entertainment Producer

Filed under: Uncategorized

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Thomas Knight

It has been 5 years and I still miss his humor. Always in my heart!

June 17, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John Leslie

The very first comic I saw was George Carlin. His silent routine made me laugh so hard I side hurt. His facial expressions spoke volumes.

August 2, 2008 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. G-Man

Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails, and the greatest arrogance of all: Save the planet. Save the planet? We can't take care of ourselves! We haven't learned to care for one another. The planet is fine! The planet isn't going anywhere – WE ARE!! THE PEOPLE ARE SCREWED!! The planet is getting rid of us. We're going away. We're just another failed mutation, another closed end biological mistake. The planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas. The planet will heal itself of us and cleanse itself because that's what it does. It's a self correcting system.

July 6, 2008 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. mattson

i bet he and Andy Kaufmann are laughing their asses off.

July 1, 2008 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Carlin Fan For Life

I love George Carlin. Him and Louis Black have been my favorite comedians in my adulthood. He was simply wonderful!

June 30, 2008 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. V. Laffitte

George Carlin was a brilliant man, and will certainly never be forgotten.

June 30, 2008 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hardy Campbell

George Carlin is one of the few people I would call a Great American. A hero even, because his quest for humor in truth required a moral courage and wisdom few of us have. He dared to defy conventional stupidity and the shibboleths of tradition, patriotism and all the the other -ism ills of a society that pats itself on the back for sins forgotten and victories imagined. He was the scourge of balloons floated by the pompous and the narcissist, the bane of the intellectually dishonest and the worst nightmare of the hypocritical and self-righteous. His wit, insight and penetrating command of the language took no prisoners but also left no scars. In a sense he will be missed because his physical presence is gone, but his example remains to inspire, goad and deflate. His soul will assume the form of a gadfly, buzzing, irritating and stinging, and you'll be laughing with every bite.

June 30, 2008 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BOB MAHAR OHIO

OH MY GOD !!!IT'S BEEN A WEEK SINCE HIS PASSING !!!

HE IS STILL IN THOUGHTS...GOD BLESS YOU

June 30, 2008 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jason Zaragoza

Dear George,

I only had the opportunity to meet you once. It was in a small farm town 45 minutes west of Oklahoma City in Weatherford on the campus of SWOSU. I was asked by the Student Government to introduce you to the student body for a night of comedy that the students as well as the farmers of that community would never forget.

I remember listening to your records or at least hearing them coming from my dad's record player as a kid. I had seen you in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure as well as Dogma. I received your bio the night of your performance and was floored to see how young you were when you began as a Disc Jockey. You didn't know it at the time, but I was a DJ too.funny. Unbeknownst to you, I was being hounded at the time for being a professed Christian and agreeeing to introduce that "foul-mouthed" comic. What would it do to my witness? How many numerous people would stumble from my reading of your bio?? Oh Dear!

As I waited for you backstage to check the introduction, I watched you pace back and forth in the makeshift dressing room the university provided. You looked up, stopped everything you were doing and said hello. You never broke eye contact with me and you also asked me about my classes and commented on the music being played over the PA system.

I will never forget your sketch about Farmers.(F$C! the Farmers) I will also never forget how many folks from that farm town walked out of the show.. I remember reading a letter in the student paper the next morning from a young lady with bi polar disorder who was a member of the Baptist Student Union giving me grief for introducing you. I simply replied: Why were you there if you profess to be a practising Christian? done.

While I was too young to understand your genius and I certainly had not ran out and purcahased all of your records or HBO specials, you taugt me something that day that I still haven't learned from Christians around the world: being genuine is better than being a copy of someone else.

Thanks for stopping your routine in that dressing room to talk to me. Thanks for asking me about my classes. Thanks for always "keeping it real." Thaks for telling me to break all the rules first. Thanks for making me believe for 15 minutes that you were my friend.

I will miss you. I prayed for you and I will continue praying for the ones you left behind. I don't know where you will spend eternity, but I will say that you made me laugh and that kind of medicine these days is in very short supply.

God Bless George Carlin.

June 30, 2008 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. kath

gawd i miss him!!!!

i remember this joke the most fondly. "have you ever smelled your own farts? i mean, like if you are alone in an elevator or someplace and you fart and sniff and think to yourself "hmmm...DECENT!'"

June 29, 2008 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kim

George was one of those people that saw the world with humor. He made us laugh because he took what we thought was so serious and turned it around and found the humor in it. That is why I loved his style. We ALL need to laugh at ourselves. George gave us that when he did his routines. I never met the man, but I did get an opportunity to see him preform. He made us think and he made us laugh. He was a GREAT TEACHER. George will be missed. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.

June 28, 2008 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Harleigh

"A house is just a pile of stuff with a cover on it..."

To this day, every time I fly I look out the window of the airplane at the houses below and remember that line.

There are no words, George – you'll be missed.

June 27, 2008 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joe Fox

I have listened to and enjoyed George Carlin for over 50 years. He was brilliant and funny. I've watched and listened to him with tears rolling down my face and sometimes cringed when he seemed to cross the line. I have always taken to heart his routine on "STUFF".
    After all life is an accumilation of stuff and George put it in perspective.
    I hope George had all his stuff in order when he left. I will sorely miss him.
    Remember George, no matter where you go.there you are.

June 26, 2008 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nicole

I have always admired George Carlin. He said what so many of us think at any given moment but wouldn't dare say. So many of his observations resonated with me and stay with me to this day. The beauty of our country, free speech ... it gave us this man who was able to say what he was feeling, thinking, etc. Humor is the best medicine. I know many a situation where a joke was cracked to make it all better.
    George was special. He was talented and creative. His delivery was always impeccable. He was incredible. I can't say enough. I was saddened to hear of his death. I may never have met the man, but years of listening to his lines, and loving every minute of it, I am saddened that there won't be any new material.

George left tremendous shoes to fill ...
    George, you will be missed, there is no doubt about that.

June 25, 2008 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. carlin lover til the end

George was truly a "master of the english language". He could turn the most mundane into an absolutly side splitting routine. No one will ever be able to fill his shoes and I know I for one will have a huge "comedy" volid where he was. In his last special he reflected on when people die how they spend their time in heaven. He made me laugh til I cried with his statement "they are up there smiling down on us", and then in the next breath saying they had much better things to do than watching and smiling for us. George, you have it right. I hope you are in comedy heaven giving all the residents their moneys worth, knowing that you can say ANYTHING YOU WANT! RIP brother, you will be missed more than words can say.

June 25, 2008 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mobiusinformer

You guys get all touchy when people start attacking religion – which, I believe, is in line with the rules of religion. Just amazes how George was able to explain away the 'invisible man in the sky' and still the masses remain clueless. How very primitive.

June 25, 2008 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  17. josh ohio comic

the best the brightist the world will be much smaller not without its voice of reason . telling us to step back and look around ,carlin was the greatest influence in my career and to this day i live by something he said... "enjoy yourself all the time, and do whatever you want. Don't be seduced by that mindless chatter going around about "responsibility." That's exactly the sort of thing that can ruin your life"..george carlin. he probably already has show dates in the afterlife ....keep'em laughing george....

June 25, 2008 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  18. John Aaron

Holy S**t!
    He's gone...
    Better pray to Joe Pesci...

June 25, 2008 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  19. Mel

To those who are stating that Carlin was an athiest, he was not.

He said "Atheism is a belief, so I’m not an atheist, ‘cause that’s something you have to believe in… I’m just a person who thinks someday you could find out… and I would know that whoever is there judging me, and I’m sure there’s no one like that, but if there was someone judging me, then I’d be fine…" -GC on Larry King 2001

Can't believe you're gone, George. I love you, man! We'll miss you so much!

June 24, 2008 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Joel

Don't look for anyone in the next millineum to take his place.It will never happen.He was one of a kind.I was fortunate enough to have seen him several times.Now,feeling unfortunate.....of course

June 24, 2008 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Tom

George Carlin was "thinking outside the box" long long before it became a phrase we all know and use on a regular basis. He sure will be missed.

June 24, 2008 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Redphilly

I can hear George now: "God, why didn't you let me know you were real?" And God says, "If you had shut your big mouth for a minute I could have gotten a word in edge-wise, Georgey boy!"

June 24, 2008 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  23. Brandon

The George Carlin I knew died around 1979. He was hilariously funny until he started attacking religion. He's been dead a long time as far as I'm concerned.

Shoot is sh*t with two o's.

June 23, 2008 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Charles Gargiulo Jr.

In a world of spin, charlatans and modern day snake oil salesman, George Carlin was a man who's voice will be more enduring and important than most of the politicians, businessmen, and religious hypocrites he righteously skewered could ever hope to be. He showed us how important and powerful, and yes sometimes dangerous, Free Speech can be. George Carlin's pursuit to be unrelentingly honest in his opinions; pointing out the vast Orwellian cultural restraints that society conditions us with from an early age made me feel more PATRIOTIC than any flag-pin wearing talking head ever did. I didn't always agree with him (although, I usually did...) but I ALWAYS respected his courage in speaking the truth as he saw it and not always telling us what we wanted to hear. Oh and by the way, the man was hilarious. Quite simply, the smartest, funniest stand up comedian who has ever lived. The world of comedy has lost an irreplaceable legend. Society has lost an even rarer voice of truth. Thank you for everything, George. You will never be forgotten.

June 23, 2008 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Comedian boima Freeman

Carlin was one of the best and he surely will be missed.....

but can you imagine the reception he receives......Richard, Redd, Rodney, and all those comics already gone are all talking and sharing stories and welcoming him...

We will Miss you Mister C.......Mr conductor.....

June 23, 2008 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Tammy L., Lewiston, NY

George – I know you're up there laughing at the rest of us down here still stuck in the thresholds of earth hell, mourning your death. And you know what? You most certainly deserve the last laugh. I loved you George, you gave everyone a reality check with every statement, and you taught us how to laugh at ourselves and the injustices in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

“The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it? A Death! What's that, a bonus? I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch, you go to work. You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement. You do drugs, alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating...

...and you finish off as an orgasm.”

June 23, 2008 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Ryan Konrad

He said what everybody was thinking....I loved this guy!

June 23, 2008 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jim

I don't know how many free drinks I gave away to the first person in the audience (at a Karoke show) who could name all seven dirty words in the correct order.

Thank you George for making my life on stage that much easier!

June 23, 2008 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Rick

As a teenager growing up in the 1960's, my father and I agreed on very little in politics, sociology, or much of anything else. But we agreed on the fact that George Carlin was a genius and we both laughed at his wry observations of life. I gave my dad Class Clown for a Christmas present one year and he told me it was his favorite gift that year. I am forever grateful that George helped bridge the gap between two generations and helped my father and I reach some common ground. Thanks, George, for all of the laughs you gave both of us over the years. You were a shining beacon of intelligence in an otherwise insane world.

June 23, 2008 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  30. J. Hale

We have lost our mirror back of ourselves, the one that removed the filter from our eyes and dared us to see what is really around us. He is no longer here to hold our hands and punch us in the face. Yesterday, George Carlin shuffled off this mortal coil, passed on to the otherside, he has been uploaded & downshifted,is pushing up daisies, gone down for the dirt nap...nobody did it like you George.

See you around the otherside Mr. Conductor, you were one in billion.

June 23, 2008 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Really Mad Professor

Carlin really was a comic-genius, and he was a brilliant commentator as well. His thoughts on the first Iraq War (recorded for his “Jammin’ in New York” set in 1992) seem as pertinent today as they did then. He was a careful student of the absurdities of our language and a fine citizen of the world.

June 23, 2008 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jubei

Ah, George...

The G.O.A.T. of comedy. Glad I got to see him once. I've got your poster with 10,000 filthy words still on my wall. I still perform my act of subterfuge, "Gee is that Golf Digest?" – Phrraaattttt!!. = )

June 23, 2008 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Ed St. Clairsville, OH

George was a funny comedian with his facial gestures and routines.
    I liked his earlier stuff better. In his later years he seemed to get more vulger with his routines. May he rest in peace.

June 23, 2008 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  34. LY

I may be like a skunk that wanders into a picnic grove here, but I don't understand the reverence for a man who did not revere anything. Lots of people are funny. Some people are screamingly funny and clean in the process. (Sinbad comes to mind.) Carlin was funny, but was just a comic. Richard Pryor was much funnier and came across as being far more humble...someone I would have liked to know. I don't regret not knowing George Carlin. I don't see his death as a cultural loss.

June 23, 2008 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Don

You made a difference George, and that's what counts! You made us laugh and you made us think. But most importantly, you made us realize the absurdity of our actions as a species and to laugh at ourselves and not take it all so damn seriously.

Chill out! Bing Bong. Five minutes past the big hour of 5 (somewhere in the world). It's cocktail time! Thanks for all the humor and laughs George. You made a difference!

June 23, 2008 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Scott Relf

I saw him about 4 years ago here in Winnipeg, Canada. The show was fantastic, and what struck me then was how glad I was that he was out there, touring night after night, saying what he was saying. He made us all laugh (shocking a few in the process too), but he also made us think. I can't think of anybody out there who can fill those shoes and it makes me very sad to hear of his passing. We'll never see another like him. Luckily he left behind a ton of concerts on video and record, books and films which will live on to continue keeping this gifted, blatantly honest and unique comic alive forever. R.I.P. Mr. Carlin and thank-you.

June 23, 2008 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Chris from Bothell

Point's already been made about how ironic it is to say "RIP" and "prayers for his family" when some of his best routines have been about the absurdity of religion.

Still, one could play all his routines about death and dying back-to-back, and have an instant (and thoroughly appropriate) eulogy.

"I don't wanna be buried when I die. Don't wanna be cremated either. I wanna be blown up!"

There's no one now who can pick apart language so thoroughly and hilariously as he did. He was unique. I've never been this affected by the death of someone who wasn't a friend or family member.

Joe bless you, Georgie. Ya done good.

June 23, 2008 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Paul

I was saddened to hear about Carlins death, I too listened to his albums as a child in the 70's. He taught me to question the status quo and not to belive all the crap that politicians and religious leaders were constantly spouting forth. Most importantly for me he made me realize that there is no god and that all the people who believed there was one (Monty) were idiots who were afraid to use their minds. George always told you how it really was and was not afraid to ruffle feathers while he did so. There are too few people like him in the world today, he will be missed by millions. 71 was too young for him to die, its said "the good die young" so I figured George would be around for many more years. I'll have to smoke a "fatty" for you George.

June 23, 2008 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Erik P

I am very saddened by this news. Not having a large family at all, this is hard for me to take...he was like an uncle I never had. He told things like they were, whether someone wanted to hear it or not. He told the truth and called BS where it was needed most: politics and religion. You are a funny, funny man and I will miss you a lot George, I am so glad I got to see you perform in Detroit a few years back. The universe and my family got even smaller today. Thank you for being a part of my life. :)

June 23, 2008 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jeff

One of my true heroes. I am fortunate enough to have seen him live and very fortunate that I spent a quiet night in a restaurant waiting on him a few years back. We chatted about politics, diet ("I'd like to f*cking kill Dr.Atkins!"), wine, and comedy. We lost a good one this time. See you in the future, Rufus!

June 23, 2008 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  41. gina peru friccero

What a shock! You will be missed, but we know you are with your wife and happy. Thanks for all the laughs, you were the BEST.

June 23, 2008 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  42. John

I wonder if he received his "two-minute warning"?

June 23, 2008 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Benjamin U.

As I get older it has been more difficult to see the heroes of my youth pass; like special effects visionary Stan Winston. Hearing that George Carlin is gone hits pretty hard at my core since he was so influential to my outlook on life and helped mold my sense of humor. I enjoyed his play on words, quirky mannerisms, and invitation to take the audience on a journey view life from an alternative perspective. I know wherever he has gone from here he will be just as vocal there as he was here. One of his lessons taught me that if I was on death row I would ask for a comedian instead of a priest; might as well go out laughing. He was the father/grandfather figure I wish I had.

June 23, 2008 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Noah

"There are no words..." or, there are seven...

June 23, 2008 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Charlie

My wife and I went to see George about two weeks before our daughter was born in 1983. The instant he came onstage, we started laughing so hard, we were convinced the baby was going to come right then... the absurdity of which made us laugh even harder!

But as much as we enjoyed it, I still couldn't convince my wife that Georgia Carolyn would be a great name for a daughter.

Adios, Amigo

June 23, 2008 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Amelia

RIP George Carlin...Your great comedy will be remembered always. I only wish I had the opportunity to see your standup live. You get me through my workday via MP3 files of your standup, and I always (almost) pee my pants when I listen to you. Sharp wit, genius comedy...You will be missed!

June 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Maggie

Occupation? Foole... That's my favorite skit. My heart just about stopped when I saw the headline that he'd died. He seemed like he would go one forever. He really made me think about society, and what our norms are, and where do they come from, anyway?? George, you're the best, man! You'll never be forgotten...

June 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  48. berkeleyEE

Wow, I'm impressed.

Unlike most bloggers, 99.9% of the commenters here are literate, thoughtful, and can actually spell correctly.

What an impressive bunch! Good for you, George.

June 23, 2008 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Barry

George, Than you very much for all the laughter you gave me over your 40 years. I will surely miss you. And to his daughter, our prayers are with you.

June 23, 2008 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Chris aka CEB

People I can do without:
    Any man whose arm hair covers his wristwatch,
    Guys with big gums and small teeth,
    A cross eyed nun with a bull whip and a bottle of gin,
    Guys in there 50's named Skip,
    Any woman who purchases Astro Glide with an Exxon credit card,
    Any person who can recite all the verses to the Star Spangled Banner,
    Guys who wear the same underwear till it cuts off the circulation to their feet,

June 23, 2008 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  51. TREVONBACH

GEORGE RULED. we have lost a major part of americana here today. there will forever be a hole in my heart wishing i could see you perform one more time.

what a sad sad day. i'll be wearing black jeans and black tee shirts all week.

June 23, 2008 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Craig

His ability to not only entertain me absolutely but do it in a way that made me THINK is something I will always cherish.

And to the couple of people distastefully chucking religious shots at this man a day after his death, I only wish he was still around to swiftly dismantle you with a few short witty sentences.

June 23, 2008 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Kari A.

I am glad that I am not the one who will have to eulogize him. Where would I start? When I was a teen in the 70's I first came across, I think, his album "Operation Foole" (he spelled fool with an e "to p!$$ people off"). I was taken aback. His wit, his sarcasm and his intelligence...amazing! In addition to making you laugh (scream with laughter sometimes), he made us think! What a concept for a comedian.

Rest in peace, George. You are missed already. There will never be anyone like you.

June 23, 2008 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Kase

I have had a few heroes in my life, people who I admired for what they accomplished . . . Jim Henson, Charles Schulz, John Prine . . .

But nobody had a bigger influence on me than George Carlin. His routines echo inside my head all the time. I was even the "Indian Sargent" in the Muhl Revue . . . "all you tall guys, over by the trees, all you short guys, down behind the rocks, you with the beads . . . OUT OF LINE !!"

People our age had that relationship with Carlin through his albums. He could have been invisible for all that mattered, but his voice and his thoughts, his humor and his anger, thats going to stay with me forever. I'm in some kind of mourning, but not really sadness. His death just reminds me how much I enjoyed his life.

I'm reminded of his routine about death . . .

"I don't want to be buried, and I don't want to be cremated either . . . I want to be blown up !!! KA-BOOM . . . there he goes . . . God love 'em !!"

RIP George.

June 23, 2008 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  55. CK

I cried this morning in bed with my coffee as I heard the news. George has helped me (along with wine and the existentialist philosophers) keep on keeping on with a smile during these recent dark years in this fading republic's history. I was lucky enough to catch him 5 times onstage. To hear him question and analyze religious superstition in a concert hall across the street from the Mormon temple square in Salt Lake City was fabulous...to catch his midnight show on New Year's Eve, front row, in Las Vegas, was simply fantastic. I miss him already, and feel empty knowing that he's not out there somewhere on the road tonight doing his gig...CK

June 23, 2008 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Brad

Right now the CNN.com poll shows only 18% are offended at his jokes.

He'd probably be offended by that, or people now are less offense-able because of him.

Thanks George. 'Respect the Classics Man'.

June 23, 2008 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Martin

George Carlin was so unique. To be as funny as he was, make you think, subvert the dominant paradigm and make social commentary that made you laugh but made you question as well. To this day I can recite huge portions of AM/FM that I memorized in high school. From the days when I smoked pot to my adult life when I didn't, George continued to make me laugh. The last time I saw him, after the show my throat hurt from laughing so much. George that big sucking sound is the hole you have left. And it ain't gonna get filled.....

June 23, 2008 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  58. DeWayne Addison

I grew up laughing at the "poo-poo" humor that was just on the edge enough that it irritated many but entertained more. He used a variety of outlets throughout his career to demonstrate his comedic talent. What shocked me, though, was not his adult comedy but his work with children's stories/movies. If you have children, you'll know what I mean. Carlin was one of many voices in the "Cars" movie. He also split time with actor Alec Baldwin in the narration of "Thomas the Tank Engine" which is beloved by millions of children and is a favorite of my oldest daughter. A comedian who used the no-no words so frequently yet had the gift of sweet, trusting, and comforting narration for kids was ironic to me. He was a man that was funny, clever, edgy, sincere, and intelligent on many topics be it everyday things, politics, people, or children. I'll miss both the "poo-poo" humor AND his work with children's stories. Rest in peace, George.

June 23, 2008 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Ricardo Espinet

I personally had seen George Carlin in more than 1 occasion, 4 times in NY and his show here in Roanoke, VA. . My wife never heard of George Carlin until I have played a couple of videos from my Ipod. She was hysterically laughing her head off. When i found out that George would be appearing at the Roanoke Civic Center in VA. I immediately went and purchased tickets for the show. My wife and I were gracious to witness a masterpiece at work. I bet at this moment there is a comedy show in heaven and someone is not very happy ! lol sorry if it sounds cruel. But i will miss George terribly and I can actually say that all the greatest comedians in the world are gone. Take Care and say hello to Nippy!

June 23, 2008 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Jared M

As an avid fan who was exposed to much of Mr. Carlin's newer material, I am sad to see one of the great minds in comedy leave us. His humor often tested the minds and views of those he entertained, but he would never shy away from controversy, and I applaud him for that. George was a masster at dissecting religious/policically charged subjects in a way that had you rolling on the floor. Geroge you will be missed.

June 23, 2008 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Patti Strong

A couple of years ago I asked my 80 year old mother what she would like for her birthday. The answer was tickets to the upcoming George Carlin appearance. I wasn't surprised – she introduced me to the humour of the "Hippy Dippy Weatherman" 40 years ago and we have been laughing ever since. Thanks George – I hope you and all "your stuff " are in a good place.

June 23, 2008 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Peter Singer

George injected the world with not only humor but an invaluable mindset: Question everything.

June 23, 2008 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Ed

"The temperature at the airport is 73 degrees, which is F'in stupid because I don't know anyone that lives at the airport."

June 23, 2008 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  64. TK

George Carlin – Thank you very much for making us stop and think.

You made us laugh at ourselves to the things that we do routinely without thinking. You did it in a manner that we all could relate to, since we have seen those things happen around us all the time with us participating in it! That is what made it funny and thought provoking.

A brilliant comedian. George – you will be missed.

June 23, 2008 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  65. susan morrison-vega

Too soon, too soon, too soon. George Carlin, like Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor, lit up our lives with their humor and wicked ability to link our shared humanity and hypocrisy. For forty years, he has affirmed and informed my views of the world because I knew he was right and, at his core, kind. I am deeply saddened.

June 23, 2008 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Rob

"Everybody says that politicians s*ck. Well, where do we think these people come from? The don't pass through some membrane from another reality. They're Americans. They were raised by American parents in an American culture, they come from American schools and American churches and American businesses and they are elected by the American people. This is the best we can do, folks. It's what our system produces. As long as you have selfish, ignorant citizens you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders."

What would GC do?

June 23, 2008 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  67. nora

his humor kept me awake on many a 10-12 hour long road trip. of course, i was laughing so hard that i nearly drove off the road a few times, but at least i would have been awake in the ditch...

June 23, 2008 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  68. wg

A house is just a pile of stuff with a cover on it.

RIP, George.

June 23, 2008 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Really Mad Professor

Carlin really was a comic-genius, and he was a brilliant commentator as well. His thoughts on the first Iraq War (recorded for his "Jammin' in New York" set in 1992) seem as pertinent today as they did then. He was a thoughtful student of the absurdities of our language and a fine citizen of the world.

June 23, 2008 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jack Dunn

Who cares?

June 23, 2008 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Stever

George Carlin was the greatest humourist of my generation and I will miss him tremendously.

Hardly a week goes by but that someone tells me, "Hey, you look just like George Carlin!" I never quite knew whether that was a compliment or not, but I've never felt so proud as I do today of looking dead.

RIP George.

June 23, 2008 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Tony Davis

What a sad day. In my opinion we just lost the greatest standup comedian of all time. I've been a fan of George since I was 10 years old (in 1986) when I shouldn't have been listening to him in the first place! Finally got to see the master at work a couple of years back and it was without a doubt the best standup I have ever seen live. Thanks for all of the laughs and memories over the years. My personal favorite? Probably "BS From The Sky"! Rest In Peace George. You will be missed by myself and all of the millions of other fans whose lives you made happier with your comedic genius.

June 23, 2008 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  73. DuMars

You ever notice that most of the people who are against abortion are people you wouldn't want to f**k in the first place?

This ain't no celebrity death. This is a national tragedy. People should go home from work, the flags should fly at half mast. We should all gather in a public space, dress in black, and trade jokes until we pass out from laughter. And one more thing. I AGREED with almost everything he ever said. That's what made him so amazing. Not only was he incredibly funny, he was right! Religion IS ludicrous, politicians are OUR fault, Americans are selfish and ignorant, anti-abortion people really are anti-woman, euphemisms are a way of avoiding the truth, farts are funny, and Kansas really should be turned into a televised prison farm. (Rectangular states are cheaper to fence) I just hope we all learned something.

June 23, 2008 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  74. pam

I woke up this morning with my 18 year old daughter saying"mom do you know some guy named George Carlin"
    And the first thing out of my mouth was"no, tell me he didnt die"
    I just knew that was what she was gonna tell me.

Then she asked "who is he, i dont remember him"

I could'nt imagine somebody not knowing who George Carlin was.

She should of known who the "Hippy Dippy weather guy" was.

Why i never had her listen to him, i never know.
    I just assumed EVERYONE knew him.

What a loss if they didnt.

R.I.P. GEORGE

June 23, 2008 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Sue K

As I read all the tributes to George written here – and could agree with so much everyone has to say about what they remember and the laughter he brought to us over all these years – it occurs to me that we will have to survive these months leading up to the next election without his Wit and Wisdom . . . . and all the years after! What a loss for us. He will be missed more than we can imagine . . .
    Thank you, George, for all you gave us.

June 23, 2008 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Yan Daoust

We love you George !!! Now and forever !!!!

June 23, 2008 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Kevon Huntley

George Carlin was a brilliant wordsmith. I'm grateful to him for providing some of the biggest laughs of my life.

June 23, 2008 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Janie Dunlap

I will always remember George Carlin as "The Hippy Dippy Weatherman." He always made me laugh even when he sometimes stepped over the line and offended me. The offense was what made me laugh and why he was such a great comic, he will be missed!! Thank you George for all of the laughs in a world that needs to be laughed at!

June 23, 2008 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Brian

Wow,

Ever since George's heart problems were made public, I feared this day.

We all move on from this life, but some folks make an amazing impact while they are here. George was one of those folks.

He has always been a comedic hero of mine, and his mastery of the language has made me laugh for decades,

I just love how he lampooned and puched holes in so many "sacred cows". Pure, pure genius.

Thanks for all the laughs, George!

June 23, 2008 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  80. randy s

I am a 48 year old stand up comic in Houston. I have listened to Carlin since I was 8 and my mom bought his 1st album – "Take-offs and Put-ons". I am a Christian who sometimes winces at Carlin's language. I hope he is not suffering now. However, I mainly remember him for his silliness and his right-on expose' of hypocrisy in America. Too bad so many never saw past the language to discover the genius. I believe Cosby said something similar when Pryor died, another major loss.

June 23, 2008 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  81. portlandboy65

I was a bit young for Lenny Bruce so George Carlin was the 1st adult comic I remember. He was funny and cool when I was a kid, and as I grew into adulthood, he became the eye of society. His humor was both funny, provocitive and insightful. I will miss him a great deal, but I think that he's with Lenny, Sam and Rodney now having a real laugh on all of us. Bye George... see you sometime..

June 23, 2008 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  82. EconEd

I know most people will remember him from the mid-1970s on, but I first saw Carlin on the Mike Douglas Show and the Tonight Show. All of his characters will "Al" Al Sleet (weatherman) Al Percent (agent), etc. Very funny – he became edgier later on. A great example of the difference between a comic (he says funny things) and a commedian (he says things funny).

June 23, 2008 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Lindy

I discovered George in the '60's. His ideas and viewpoint were totally
    great for me, a teenager breaking away from my Buffalo Italian neighborhood. He made me laugh, but most of all he made me think.
    May he rest in peace.

June 23, 2008 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  84. mobiusinformer

The Last of the Great American Comedians.

June 23, 2008 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  85. ani

"Once you leave the womb, conservatives don’t care about you until you reach military age. Then you’re just what they’re looking for. Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers."

more relevant today than ever! RIP, Carlin! We'll miss you!

June 23, 2008 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Matt McHugh

George is dead. Long live George.

Some people make a fuss over how, in recent years, Carlin seemed so bitter, so misanthropic, that he was sometimes more offensive than funny. But that's what he did... what he always did. Peel back the layers of what society is comfortable with to reveal the self-satisfied hypocrisy beneath.

This world, this country, desperately needs people like that - now more than ever (something he certainly sensed). He was America's court jester writ large... and sometimes the jester p***es off the courtiers. That's as it should be.

My favorite bit of his of recent years: After making an uncomfortable joke about cancer the audience groaned at...

"Now, I know there are certain unpleasant things some people don't like you to joke about. Some people think that if you even talk about certain unpleasant things, you somehow increase they likelihood they might actually happen."

"Some people are really f***ing stupid."

God, I will miss him.

– mattmchugh.com

June 23, 2008 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Niels Kongsdorf

I loved his routines. From the hippy dippy weather man, WINO and his looks at everyday life. I remember about 30 years ago when he was on Carson and Johnny asked him about a recent heart attack that he had had. at that time George was in in his late 30's. I will miss you George, you made me laugh and understand that life is not to be taken too seriously. I learned from you to focus on important things.
    Thank you for the memories, I am sure you will be the headliner at the comedy club of the Pearly Gates tonight.
    God Bless you.

June 23, 2008 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Travis in Colorado

I've always liked George Carlin, it was funny to see an older man like him doing the weird and offbeat things that he did. He was very cynical, very smart, very much a smart ass, and most of all, very much loved by people everywhere. You'll be missed George. Thank you for the laughs.

June 23, 2008 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Greg Lyman

As a kid in the 60's he really made me laugh. I never liked his later hippie act. Robert Klein is a lot funnier without using swear words.

June 23, 2008 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Jenn

My stepfather introduced me to Carlin's humour when I was a teenager, much to my mother's chagrin. I had been raised in a conservative religion, and when I got my hands on the 7 words that cannot be said on television, it was with glee that I memorized those words and queried my mother about them endlessly.

But my favourite routines of Carlin's was his SBD (silent but deadly) about flatulence. It still makes me laugh. I'm not really into bathroom humour, but Carlin had a way to make it seem almost dignified.

I'll miss him.

June 23, 2008 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  91. steve

George you were brilliant and funny. you will be missed. RIP

June 23, 2008 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Bobby

All I have to say is I grew up with Shining Time Station and I was fascinated with trains at a young age. I thought George Carlin was the best conductor on the show as they had a few actors one was a Brit which I was rather annoyed with. As I grew older I found Carlin's standup and it blew my mind that such a vulgar comedian could do a children’s show as well as he did he seemed to enjoy it, which shows he was a man of character and will always be remembered, when my children grow older I will share his antics with them. Rest in Piece Mr. Carlin.

June 23, 2008 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Pearl

I do not recall the first time I was fortunate to catch George Carlin on
    HBO Comedy. I was totally impressed with the use of his humor in which he engaged his audience to look at ourselves, religion, politics, abortion, family, children, etc. Also, I was impressed with his ability to express his humorous view of humanity with a non-stop flow of words. His profanity emboldened his message.

When I scan HBO I hope the channel will continue to schedule George Carlin's repetoire of humor.

RIP George Carlin your satirical messages made us laugh.

June 23, 2008 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  94. EJR

I remember George Carlin growing up. He was intense and really had a way of looking at things from a different perspective. I tuned into that and to this day follow that line of thinking. You open your mind when you decide to consider there are other options. Life is so much better when you learn to laugh and can laugh at yourself.

Sure, he was a bit "rough," some say obscene. But seriously, it is an opinion. What one calls obscene and vulgar another will just brush it off as nothing.

He pushed peoples buttons and some hated it, others loved it. He will be remembered always regardless of which person you were.

RIP George Carlin. I am sure God is feeling the pain right about now from laughing so hard.

June 23, 2008 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Cashman

George Carlin was one of the brilliant comedians of the 20th century (and the early 21st). He knew how to make us laugh, and always spoke the cold, bitter truth, which is why he was so funny. He will be missed.

I suppose he's "up there" "smiling down on us" today. Erm, ok,... maybe not,... ;-)

June 23, 2008 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Chuck

I had the misfortune of hearing his "Book of the Month Club" skit on the radio while I was driving. I was laughing so hard I almost had to pull over. I remember thinking to myself "I can just see the headlines now...Five-car crash caused by a George Carlin comedy bit."

I would say RIP, but I don't think Mr. Carlin would appreciate that, so I will just say "Thanks."

June 23, 2008 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  97. JQ

I'm glad I had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Carlin at SUNY many years ago. He was the consummate performer and a true master at his craft.

RIP – you will be missed.

June 23, 2008 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Steve O

Thanks for all the laughs George. You truly will be missed.

June 23, 2008 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  99. themoi

My mother always said you have to be smart to have a sense of humor. If that's the case George Carlin was a genius.

June 23, 2008 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Lissa in Montreal

I had the privilege, years ago, of seeing him in concert in Burlington, Vermont. After the concert, my brother and his friend went to sit in the lobby of the swank hotel in the city. Eventually, room service was called to Mr. Carlin's room. My brother, ever the sleuth, followed the room service waiter and when he was gone, slipped a note under the door. He explained that he was a journalist for his college newspaper and would love an interview.

The next morning, George Carlin called our house and gave that interview. He supported so many good causes and made people laugh in ways no one else ever will. I'm seriously saddened by his loss. It's a loss for us all.

June 23, 2008 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Monty

I'm sorry for his family that he has passed away. Now he stands before God and has to answer the question of why he thought religion was b/s. Hope he passed thru the fire but I don't think many athesiest do, at least according to the bible he so rightful disrespected, because according to the 1st amendment, is allowed to do so.

June 23, 2008 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Larry B.

Carlin was one of a kind. He was at his best in poking holes in long standing beliefs, especially in politics and religion. His salty, adult humor of one line dialogues did nothing if not get our dull brains thinking in a different light, and prodding our mental laziness to question what we had taken for granted for so long.
    Agree or not agree with him, he insisted on nothing less than our
    undiivided attention to the institutions that rule our everyday lives.
    It will be a long time before another comes close to the wit and humor found in George Carlin.

June 23, 2008 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  103. gnewt

I saw Carlin in the early 90's and one thing that I always talk about was how blunt he was. In that show he finished with about 15 minutes on religion (and if you were a Carlin fan you know what I am talking about). The last line of the show was..."If there is a God, let lightning strike me dead right now." I wonder where George is today?

June 23, 2008 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Mindy of Austin

I have to go into my barber today and ask them to "frost my bush" just to pay my respects. We will miss you George!

June 23, 2008 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Dawn

I think I said all seven words when I heard the news. Thanks George for making me mad, making me think and mostly for making me laugh.

June 23, 2008 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Dimitri

I heard the news at 4:00 AM and one thought ran through my mind: "Not good, Bruno..." today will "smell like an anchovy's [expletive]".

Knowing George and his comedy also tells us that he will *not* be "looking down on us" with that silly smirk on his face. The man was absolutely brilliant.

I considered George a personal guide and a modern day prophet (as much as he would have disagreed with that designation). I will miss him terribly. I am sure mother earth will too, given that he's left her his share of plastic bags.

What a sad day...

June 23, 2008 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Barbara Moriarty

When his album came out, we Played "The 7 Dirty Words You Can't Say On TV" on our record player over and over and over again.We laughed until the tears ran down our faces.
    Today, my tears are from sadness.
    I told my teenager that George had passed away and she didn't know who he was.Her loss....... not knowing what a brilliant man and comedian he was.
    God bless you George and thank-you!!

Barbara Moriarty

June 23, 2008 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  108. christie

I did think George was funny, but I think it is very sad that people are writing that "heaven" just got funnier, and that God needed more humor, when George Carlin openly challenged the very idea that God even existed. I dont believe that at the end of George's life he heard, "well, done my good and faithful servant." I believe he heard, "depart from me, I never knew you"....that makes me very sad.

June 23, 2008 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Brian

I feel like my best friend died.

I have been following Carlin as long as I have followed comedy. To me he was one of the funniest people on the planet. What I liked most about him was his way of tellling it like it is, no holds barred. I try to be the same way as a result. I finally got to see him about a year before "It's bad for ya" came out and it was one of the highlights of my life. I've seen all of his stand up specials and read all of his books, loved every minute of them all. It just seems strange that there will be no more works of George Carlin. From one Atheist to another, I'll miss you Georgie, thanks for the memories!

June 23, 2008 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Carole

My favorite skit was the one about "Customer Service". It's so very much on the money!!

Thanks George for the memories!

June 23, 2008 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Matt

"Luckily due to our fear of death in this country you don't have to die...you'll....pass away" – George Carlin

A true genius right up till the end.

June 23, 2008 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Andrew

I remember when I first heard George it was his joke about the 2 commandments. Always be faithful and honest to the provider to thy nookie. And try really hard not to kill anyone unless they pray to a differents invisible god than you do Rest In Peace George

June 23, 2008 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Cate

well, now you've really done it! died! how dare you. there is still 'stuff' to study, move, and rant against! good luck and 'break a leg' in your next stage act.

June 23, 2008 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Garth Ranzz

The saddest news yet from a year of big loss. Yet the first thing that entered my mind upon hearing the news this morning was, "I wonder if he got his two minute warning?"

"Now, you might be wondering why I would even suggest that someone can affect the manner and style of his death. Well, it's because of a mysterious and little-known stage of dying, the two-minute warning. Most people are not aware of it, but it does exist. Just as in football, two minutes before you die you receive an audible warning: "Two minutes! Get your sh1t together!" And the reason most people don't know about it is because the only ones who hear it are dead two minutes later. They never get a chance to tell us.

But such a warning does exist, and I suggest that when it comes, you use your two minutes to entertain and go out big. If nothing else, deliver a two-minute speech. Pick a subject you feel passionate about, and just start talking. Begin low-key, but, with mounting passion, build to a rousing climax. Finally, in the last few seconds, scream at those around you, "If these words are not the truth, may God strike me dead!" He will. Then simply slump forward and fall to the floor. Believe me, from that moment on, people will pay more attention to you."

I know he'll not rest in peace because that was not his way. Give 'em hell George and keep them rolling in the aisles!

June 23, 2008 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Deloras

George Carlin was a great guy. He could never have been a politician, because he always spoke the truth.
    Gonna miss you Buddy.

June 23, 2008 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Erik K.

What a brilliant man! There are so many ways to describe George. He had a extremely livid view of life in general (ideally that it is full of crap!) and had one hell of a knack at making it extremely funny. We will all miss miss him as he was a soul that doesn't come around that often.

Rest in Peace George! We all loved you and thank you for your innate wisdom.............

June 23, 2008 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  117. tlym

My favorite bit by George Carlin was "This is my stuff. That is your sh**. Everytime I hear it, it's like the first time.
    This is a sad day...

June 23, 2008 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Malfean

Even God needs a good atheist comedian...now he has the Best.

RIP buddy, you're headlining in the Real Palace now.

June 23, 2008 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Dave

Carlin, you were my idol and always made me smile. I will never forget your comic genius. You will be missed!

June 23, 2008 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Jo, Rhode Island

Thank you for making my Constitutional Law class a bit humors during the review and discussion of FCC v. Pacifica Foundation.

May you rest in peace!

June 23, 2008 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Neal M.

The first comedian I remember hearing for the first time. And I quote..."I'll wash your mouth out with soap. And I'll blow bubbles out my ass." You will be missed.

June 23, 2008 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Glenn Smith

Heaven just got one hell of a lot funnier! Way to go George, I'll miss you.

June 23, 2008 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Megan

Seven Words.....Stuff.... the cat running into the sliding glass door and trying to be cool, then going behind the couch and saying "F'n MEOW"...the dog can't use the can opener...hippy dippy weatherman...
    The list of my favorite Carlin bits is never-ending.
    Also – Every time he was on Real Time with Bill Maher, I was always amazed at how clear and concise he was – and RIGHT ON about everything!!
    He tought me to question everything, and never be afraid to say what you want to say.
    I respect him dearly and am SO sad he's gone – SUCH a great loss.

Hopefully he's found out where Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor are hanging out so he can complete the AfterLife Comedy Trifecta...
    Keep observing George, you're a GENIUS!!

June 23, 2008 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  124. "Doc"

George Carlin was amongst the real giants in his profession. Yet I don't think that really mattered to him. He never really let up on his brand of humor, observations and annalysis of humanity and life. As we've come to know comedy, George Carlin showed us that the real comedy is based on truth, no matter how unflattering, iconoclastic, or base it may be. We were all his "lab rats" and gratefull fans!

June 23, 2008 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Andrew

George, I miss you.

And in his words...."how about a moment of silence. Why is it always silence? Why not a moment of screaming? This man is dead. AHHHHHHHH. How about a moment of muffled conversation?

Which I'm sure we all will share to delight in the gifts he gave to us.

God is glad to have you back.

June 23, 2008 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Thomas Russomano

There will never be another George Carlin. He was the best at what he did - make us laugh and think.

RIP

June 23, 2008 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Rich

This man molded my generations humor. From the age of seven watching his HBO specials and all way up to now, this man altered the way we looked at life, authority, and humor. We were blessed by this great man.

And to anyone that had a problem with his act, the joke mostly was on and about you.

June 23, 2008 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Nickel

There are not enough words to express the loss. Prayers to his family in this difficult time.

Tim Russert told us how it was in the political world. Carlin told us how it was in the real world.

GC is now with his maker, and God is LHAO right now.

June 23, 2008 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Scott in Ottawa

I'm gonna miss him ramblings and obvservations, he made listening to life's little frustrations enjoyable and funny. We are indeed losing one of the comedic world's best and most loved comics, taken too soon from us, before we had heard all he had to say, my thoughts are with him and his family(ies), don't pray for George as he was/is anti-organised religion, just think a happy thought, or think of something that frustrates you and then take a step back and look at the humourous side of it, that's what George would want you to do

-from all the Vinnie(s) and Debbie(s) that aren't out there after all....

June 23, 2008 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Deborah

It's nice that George is receiving all these wonderful praises... for the longest time I was also a huge fan of George Carlin, quoted him at parties in the 70's and 80's, and went to see him at a show in Las Vegas. That show was the funniest I'd ever seen him do. HOWEVER, in recent years he became bitter and it showed dramatically in his routines. My son took me to a show a few years ago for Mother's Day (knowing that I enjoyed him so much in Vegas), and I was screaming inside in pain. If my son hadn't bought the ticket I would've walked out but not before yelling at George before I did.

His show was all about suicide. He wanted to start a suicide channel and said he'd watch it all the time. He named various ways people could kill themselves and said he'd support any forms of mass death...whether it was by natural means or manmade means . What upset me so much was that young people enjoyed him... as I did... and suicide rates are high for our young people. I thought it was atrocious and despicable. I'm sorry for his family, but I'm relieved he won't influence anyone else to take their own life. For someone who did so much with his career and made everyone laugh, I thought it was a sad ending to his career long before he died.

June 23, 2008 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  131. aj

Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, the holy trinity of comedy. They're all gone now......

June 23, 2008 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  132. nipple-kick

Obscene? Yes. Vulgar? Yes. Intelligent? YES!!
    George Carlin had a way with words, a way of pissing people off but making them think. Occasionally he would warm your heart like fine bourbon. The man was a true great. Like any true great, there are always bashers and haters. Rest in Peace Mr. Carlin. You hold my respect and will do so into the afterlife.

June 23, 2008 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Steven Taylor

"Sometimes a little brain damage can help..." – George Carlin

June 23, 2008 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Stevem Taylor

Perhaps the most important thing that George Carlin did on this Earth was to teach us to question authority. His lessons of never blindly believing anything the government tells you or blindly believing in an "invisible man in the sky" are just the tip of the iceberg. He was a genius that not only made us laugh, but also made us think. Try to heed his advice to us all.... don't be a sheep.... be an individual.

June 23, 2008 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Carl S.

Richard Pryor must have finally retired...So God needed another Brilliant comedian...RIP George.

June 23, 2008 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Mark S

He helped me through my teenage years. His work always reminded me to never look at life too seriously. I know his topics were sometimes controversial, but he would always come down to earth with some fart jokes. I'm sorry but there is not a single standup comedien that can come close to Carlin's craft. A wordsmith through and through.

May Joe Pesci bless you my friend!!!

June 23, 2008 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Ken Sampsell

Like the great Buddy Rich, George Carlin had a mastery of his craft, unlike anyone else. The timing engaged us in such a manner that to listen to either one of them you knew this will never come again. Thank you George for the miles of smiles......Ken

June 23, 2008 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Terri

I was just in vegas on june 5th and saw him at the orleans. It was my first time seeing him live, and it was great. It's hard to believe a comic genius is gone.

June 23, 2008 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Luke

My roomates and I in college used to listen to his routines all the time, always catching something new to laugh at. They never got old, and they never will.

June 23, 2008 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Greg

The 'Seven Dirty Words' were proceeded way back in the 80's by the 'Incomplete List of Impolite Words' that literally took 2-3 pages of greenbar paper to list line by line... I know I have somewhat dated myself, but it's amazing how sometimes the most obvious observation causes one to reflect, and at the same time considered obscene... comedians that make us laugh at ourselves are the best, just like Gallagher and Robin Williams... human frailty, what a blast! Do you not hear Carlin in Robin Williams' tale of God smoking a joint while creating the Duckbill Platypus? Genius, pure and simple. What a loss.

June 23, 2008 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Peter Szabo

I believe that culture impacts you when you are young and the thing that resonate with you at that time shape who you will become and the memories you bring with you. My sense of humor, my sense of who I am was influenced in a huge way by high school days of sitting with my best friend in his basement and listening to Class Clown. We laughed ourselves to tears and till this day just wait for openings to whip out a Carlin line. I travel a great deal and there is not one time, not one, that after the pre landing announcement is made "we will be on the ground shortly" that I do not say out loud, "well, that's a little vague."
    I will miss him. He was a large part of my life. So I hope that he is back with the Big Electron and I will be praying to Joe Pecsi to grant his soul eternal rest.

June 23, 2008 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Carmen

Growing up Mr. Carlin gave me times of sheer unadulterated belly laughs. He was thoughtful and provacative. His material was not just "dirty words", they had double meaning and always made you think! From albums, to comedy specials to acting George Carlin, made a imprint on American satire. Too sophisticated for most, his humor was ironic and at times simply sillyness. HIs observations of everyday things like the difference between Baseball and Football are legendary. His rants about flying and its terminolgy is classic. Original and always incredibly intelligent George Carlin was a free speech trailbrailzer. He is probably looking down at all of us, sipping from a water bottle and call us *(#%^&$...

I hope his "STUFF" lives on forever! I was honored to see him live at the MGM years ago, and I remember trying to catch my breath between punch lines... it was the most fun!

Your genius will be missed.

June 23, 2008 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Ben Kearney-Saint Louis,MO

Wow, one of my heroes has passed. There will never me another one like him. He brought so much to the table everytime. He will continue to make me laugh from the grave.

"Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck"

"Standing ovations have become far too commonplace. What we need are ovations where the audience members all punch and kick one another."-George Carlin

Thanks for the memories R.I.P.

June 23, 2008 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Piewacket

Rest in peace, George, rest in peace!

June 23, 2008 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Bud

I didn't always agree with what he said, but he seemed to always know how to say what I was thinking in a way that made everyone understand me better. I will not say anymore really as he wouldn't want all of this i am sure, but I for one will miss whatever he planned on saying next.

June 23, 2008 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  146. angie

I'm in shock. George seemed like he would live forever. Heaven indeed just got a bit funnier. God Bless You and all you've given us.

Any one here remember his routing on Voting? "If you vote, you have no right to complain." This world is a better place because of his contributions..and hopefully just a little bit smarter.

June 23, 2008 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Earl Gaines

"Why do they lock gas station bathroom? Are they afraid someone will clean them? Geroge Carlin

June 23, 2008 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Walter LaMont C.

Just two weeks ago,my brothers and I were listening once again to his much under-appreciated "Take Off's & Put-On's" album,for what had to be more than the 100th time.

That album,while a little on the silly side,puts a strong connection & bond between us. We're always joking quoting lines from the album.

If we get off the phone,we say "Good Night!" like the character Marge's date says to her before shaking her hand,instead of a kiss good-night.
    We loved the Indian Sargeant routine,the game show send up of "Queen For A Day" called "Queenie For A Day".

Qoute : "Would you...like to be....Queenie! for day?"
    Man in audience : Yaaaaaa!
    Host : Not you sir!

Carlin had other more acclaimed comedy records but we just love the more understated feeling of that one. George was always cool in our book and always will be.

Rest In Peace George.

Quote: ....and remember, "Behind every silver lining...there's a dark cloud" .

June 23, 2008 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Phoenix599

George Carlin's acerbic wit went straight for the jugular every time, and seldom missed its mark. He was much, much more than a comedian. Comedy was only the vehicle which he used so effectively to deliver his message.

George...you will be missed. Rest in peace.

June 23, 2008 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  150. connie

A wonderfully intelligent funny,funny man. I began watching him with my Dad, on the Tonight show in the late 60's early 70's. Some of his humor went over my head at the time, but it was still funny. Some of his humor was offfensive, but it was still funny. Some of his humor pushed the envelope a little to far, but it was still funny. I will miss the Hippy Dippy Weatherman. My sympathy to his family and fans.

June 23, 2008 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  151. B. Gray

A comedian whos been around forever, and work will continue to live twice as long! Out of all types of people in the world, the greatest are those who can make us laugh!

Thanks George!

June 23, 2008 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  152. yurei

"then they say 'get on the plane, get on the plane'. I say $&@! you im getting IN the plane! Let Evil Keniviel get ON the plane"

Rip George

June 23, 2008 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Jim

Twenty-five years ago I was privileged to see him live. His opening line that night: "Didja ever notice that you don't meet many Chinese guys named Rusty?"

June 23, 2008 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Kirk Russell

Reading the above comments made my eyes moist. It is a great loss to the world.
    We fans should work to make this world a more humane place. Afterall, that was the central message of his comedy.

June 23, 2008 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Daniel Barret

I remember listening to Carlin records as a kid. He turned me on to critical thinking and forever changed my life. He will be missed.

June 23, 2008 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  156. angela

Politically incorrect or not...George Carlin called it as he saw it and it was the TRUTH. The people who couldn't see this truth are the fence straddlers that love to have their cake and eat it too. People that don't get his humor need to have that thing removed from their butt. George was the man and will be missed by all of his fans.

June 23, 2008 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Steve

Man what a loss for comedy and for the world at large. What a truly sad day. I am just cracking up at reading everyone's quotes of his. Keep them coming, what an awesome way to remember him.

Rest In Peace, George.

June 23, 2008 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  158. jane h molloy

My husband and I were priivileged to see him on the eve of the turn of the century. I will never forget it. He was inspirational, thoughtful, and mostly a voice of logical reason. He could "diagram" a thought the way teachers taught you to diagram a sentence.Say "tres Santa Marias" for our friend.

June 23, 2008 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  159. alan reubel

do any of you remember the bit george did about going home after school and forgetting his keys ? after jiggling around a lot he started to pray...then he realized, God wouldn't save him. it was the great sense, and i mean, sense of humor, that made him such a funny man.

what a loss. my respects to his family.

June 23, 2008 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Jill

I will miss him very much. Ironically just Friday I was watching some of his classic stuff on youtube and laughing with my kids about it..I always connected to George Carlin's words not to mention the laughs and I gave my kids that enjoyment and realistic viewpoint that George brought forth so well.. He said the things we all are thinking and I appreciate him for that. Thank you George...

June 23, 2008 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Glenn

Like David from Buffalo, my brother and I somehow got our hands on the cassette copy of "A Place For My Stuff". We spent that entire summer listening on and off to the tape and giggling our butts off. What made it funny was not only the comedy (which at 9 we really didn't understand), but the fact that it was sooo dangerous. We'd quickly turn it off when one of the evil "adults" would come around. I will truly miss George Carlin and his truly unique outlook on the world.

Glenn in Tennessee

June 23, 2008 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Jeff

I just wanted to point something out to certain people that keep sending their prayers out....George Carlin was a devout athiest and spent much of his comedic career mocking people praying to the boogeyman in the sky. So if you really want to honor George Carlin then you might think about leaving the religious rhetoric out of it because you are doing him quite the disservice by doing so.

With that said....The world will miss the comedy of George Carlin. His brilliant observational comedy that was so great at pointing out things that made no sense at all that happen so frequently on a daily basis and putting that humorous spin on it. The best thing that can be said is that he will live on just by the mere fact that he influenced so many other comedians with his comedy and so many people in general with his personal views on politics, religion, and so much more.

June 23, 2008 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Joe from CT

Got to see him a couple of years ago on his “Life is Worth Losing” tour. He was even more brilliant in person than he was on HBO. You just can’t replace talent like that. Rest in peace, Mr. Carlin. You deserve it.

June 23, 2008 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Doug

RC...you are obscene, you are also a douchebag...if you dont like the man then just dont comment. This is in memorial to someone who has died, have some freaking respect. I hate people like you, everyone here is paying respect to a man who died and all you can think of is "Lets take one more cheap shot at him before he starts rotting."
    Bravo RC...you have class.

Now back to the topic...Geroge Carlin was a genius who showed people how to laugh at themselves, he helped people relize that you cant take everything seriously all the time. He will be truly missed, but his legacy will live on in everyone who listened to him and learned not to be afraid to speak your mind and say what you really mean, instead of being politically correct.

RIP
    George Denis Patrick Carlin
    May your legacy live on forever

Let us Pray:
    In The Name of the Pasta, The Sauce and the Holy Meatballs
    RAmen

June 23, 2008 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Dana

For the past couple years, listening to George Carlin's "farting in public" act on my Ipod (while on the subway) has been a daily ritual. On mornings when I was on a subway full of cranky people heading off to work, it made oddly gleeful to listen to George Carlin wax on about the importance of, and rules, behind a test fart. I urge everyone who takes public transportation to find this comedy act and play it today, preferably while on a train, or a bus....

June 23, 2008 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Scot

I think George would find all this lamenting and speaking in aphorisms a great boon for his act... And as it was said above, in characteristic style he "Did a Carlin" for his exit...

Well done George, I for one will miss you.

June 23, 2008 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  167. KD

Forever my favorite, forever missed, forever genius, forever funny, and most importantly, FOREVER REAL!!!!!

The comedy world will never be the same,,,

thank you for so many years of laughter and the reality of the things and people around us..., and for making us realize that we ALL need to be able to laugh at ourselves sometimes!!!!

June 23, 2008 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Rick

I'll miss Carlin as well. I was lucky enough to see him once live, but have listened to all of his albums (even his early ones). He was absolutely brilliant.

Let us hope his incomplete list of impolite words will continue on. I think that'd make him smile.

We'll miss you George.

June 23, 2008 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Joe

Got to see him a couple of years ago on his "Life is Worth Losing" tour. He was even more brilliant in person than he was on HBO. You just can't replace talent like that. Rest in peace, Mr. Carlin. You deserve it.

June 23, 2008 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Maurice

I remember being very young, six to be exact and my uncle invited me to the parlor to sit and listen to a comedy LP. It was George Carlin and although my mouth gapped most of the afternoon from some of the words being used, I found comedy, more to the point George Carlin's comedy. He took the simple and made it complex and the complex, he made it simple. I will surely miss his comedy and know that he is probably sitting in heaven making God laugh.
    George you will be missed and thank you for the gift of laughter that you gave us all.

June 23, 2008 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  171. William Echevarria

When I learned of your demise the first words that went through my mind were...ummm...those 7 words.
    In the saddest and worst moments of my life, I could always count on your jokes to make me laugh and feel great afterwards.
    Now the Holy trinity is reunited: Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor & You.
    May God bless you and receive you with sincere laughter.
    Keep 'em laughing up there...

June 23, 2008 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Ira Perlman

The problem with death is that you don't get to decide what "stuff" to bring.

June 23, 2008 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  173. zeitgeisty

I’m sick with grief today, the master George Carlin has died.

Usually I’m not the type of person who gets all emotional over ‘celebrity death’, after all though it might be sad, it really has no effect on my life. With Carlin it’s different. He was a shining beacon of truth, one of the few beautiful things I’ve experienced in my life. He was the funniest man that ever lived. I know it’s clichéd as a fan to say ‘he felt like part of the family’, but he really did to me. I grew up with him, watching him on those HBO specials. His comedic genius was breathtaking – LITERALLY. No one could have me on the floor gasping for breath like George Carlin. Still, he wasn’t just silly, he was profound and thought provoking, insightful and incite-ful. He was an artist, a bastion of truth in a world filled with mendacity, and his death is inordinately painful to me.

RIP George, you were a beautiful guy, a shining light, and a never ending source of inspiration….I’ll miss you dearly..

June 23, 2008 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Carlynn

First let me say that my first name is Carlynn, though most people who met me or read my name say Carolyn, so the first thing I always said was no Its Carlynn, like George Carlin and there was never one person that said "who". So i have always felt close to him. I also grew up in the 70's and then he was always on something and I watched him every chance i could, not only to see my "friend" whose name I shared but also because there was no one funnier. The routine about kids going to there bedroom for a punishment I have actually used on my mother and because of it also had to think twice before sending my own kids there when there were in trouble. His comedy was so smart and even though it was funny as hell it made you stop to think. I will miss him and am grateful to him for making my first name easier for all the dumbasses out there. Rest in peace George. Between you and Tim Russert Heaven sure did get lucky.

June 23, 2008 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Christopher

George Carlin was simply a genius. He made people realize the short comings of society and couldn't have done a better job at it, it was simply amazing. I am completely shocked to hear of his death, he was and still is a huge inspiration. George will be missed.

June 23, 2008 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  176. jen

Carlin was not a comedian, he was a philosopher who spoke the truth. He will always be a hero to me and to others who have zero tolerance for B.S.

June 23, 2008 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  177. Joe Dickerson

I had the privilege of listening to George Carlin when he was a DJ in 1959 in Fort Worth (Jack Burns was the news man) on KXOL. He did the evening "teen show" and was honing his soon to be famous humor then. While I've become more conservative and he became more liberal he was still my favorite comedian because he always told the truth (no matter how inconvenient). We love you, George. R.I.P.

June 23, 2008 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  178. Katie

George Carlin showed a mirror on the American psyche and poked fun at our willingness to accept denial as endemic to our society. George spoke the truth with humor and reflected back the hypocrisy of our thinking. Saw him in person several times in Vegas. One of my favorite Carlinisms " don't worry about the planet, mother earth is like a big old dog and she will shake us all off like a bunch of fleas if we become too irritating to her.

June 23, 2008 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  179. Flintstrike

I was lucky enough to see George in concert back in 1990's and still have my shirt..."Simon says go F#@^ yourself" not censored. I always wear it when I wish to convey my feelings to those around me. George made all of us laugh at the reality of life and how deep down we all agree with him...put in my vote for the "All Suicide Channel" Farewell Mr. Conductor, the train has taken him on to Shining Time Station for the last time...

June 23, 2008 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  180. Salomon Lewy

George Carlin made our spirits rise above the usual baloney which politicians and their ilk want to feed us with.
    I'm thankful for having had the chance of enjoying his wit and courage. He will be sorely missed .

June 23, 2008 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  181. Corey Pinchart

George Carlin will forever be known in the entertainment industry for doing "a Carlin." Basically, this man, after every comedy routine would have his suitcase packed and ready to go. When the routine was over...there was no encore...he made a beeline for the nearest stage door, got into a waiting vehicle, and was leaving the theatre before the the first patron could gather up their stuff to leave after the standing ovation. For years, myself and fellow stage managers, technical directors, and production managers call this "a Carlin exit." I don't remember how many times I would ask a famous comedian or his/her manager if we were doing "a Carlin" tonight? Much to my surprise 95% of them knew what I was talking about or would say, "No they will go back for an encore and then we will sit in the greenroom and unwind first before we leave." George Carlin will live forever in the hearts and minds of many of the entertainment industries best professionals. He himself created a term for the fastest stage exit possible in the Performing Arts scene.

June 23, 2008 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  182. David Levesque - Buffalo NY

Carlin. Wow, what a loss for the comic world. I learned how to swear from Carlin. I still remember sneaking my Dad's cassette copy of "A Place For My Stuff" when I was 9 years old and hearing him go through "The Book Club". I still laugh everytime I ask someone how they are and they reply "fine" or "nice". Or every time I fly and enter the Terminal. Loved that routine too. RIP George. May you forever float on a heavenly seat cusion loaded with beer farts.

June 23, 2008 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  183. Robbin

I woke up in a good mood for a Monday until I turned the news on at 5:30am and heard the news. It will be a somber day for me, trying to put on a happy face for my co-workers (some people don't get it). You just had to get George Carlin. If you didnt get it, you can't explain it. I'm sorry I never saw him live. Maybe one day on the other "side".

June 23, 2008 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  184. steve phelps

How sad to see our pop icons and heroes slip away from us one by one ..Time is so precious..Hopefully todays icons will once again raise their voices as Carlin did about the woes and injustice of our society and the ability to laugh at ourselves ..Give em hell up there George and say hi to Lennon for us...

June 23, 2008 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  185. Poe

There are no words...

June 23, 2008 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  186. VERN

He was the best and most intelligent comedian iin his time! He will be missed very much!---He said it like it is!

June 23, 2008 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  187. Julie

The world is a much smaller place without George Carlin. The first time I saw him live, I laughed so hard I got to the point where I just couldn't laugh anymore–I was too worn out, yet the tears still flowed down my face because he was so damn funny. This brilliant funny man had such a way with the English language, he could make us all laugh at ourselves for the silly "pc" things we all do. He will be sorely missed. R.I.P.

June 23, 2008 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  188. Michael Adams

George was a genius, comedic and otherwise – a true gem. A Humanist to the core but such a base in cynicism, it was an absolutely brilliant balance that put him in an entirely different class that reached across to many different types of people. He could have lived to have been 300 and it would have still been too soon for him to go – I do find it a damn shame we'll never get to see him speak at his own Kennedy Center honors. Heaven just got a hell of a lot funnier today, or there was another mewling child born in the world with a gift of observation and perspective that I hope he or she knows how to use.

June 23, 2008 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  189. Jim from Germany

Wadda ya mean think “outside the box”? He's freakin' dead!!! How much more "in the box" can ya be? Man, don't people like that just tick ya off?

George, you will be missed.

June 23, 2008 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  190. Kris Barrie

Was being funny long before I was born, but will still be making people laugh long after my grandkids are dead.
    'Just think of how stupid the average person is and realize that half the people on this planet are stupider than them'

June 23, 2008 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  191. Paul Marker

He will be deeply missed. He will always be a comic genius, my favorite comedian and an American cultural icon of this time.

June 23, 2008 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  192. RC

George Carlin is obsene. I did not care for his comedy (if you call it that).

I hope everyone is not so blind.

RIP, my prayers for his family.

June 23, 2008 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  193. tbates1214

I was also a big Carlin quoter with all of my friends growing up and even today. I'm really gonna miss his comedy.

"Legally Drunk... well if it's legal, what's the ****** problem!?"

Rest in Peace, George

June 23, 2008 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  194. Michael

Remembering Geroge Carlin today makes me think back to watching him on "The Ed Sullivan Show" doing the Hippy Dippy Weatherman when I was a kid in the sixties. George Carlin was the first, best comedian of "my generation" that received a national audience following. His routines were so thought provoking and most importantly, funny, that he will be greatly missed. So much of what he spoke about was taken up in the national lexicon that no other comedian reached until Robin Williams. Thanks George, you were one funny guy.

June 23, 2008 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  195. Heidi

Today is a sad, sad, day. George Carlin was and extremely funny man. My condolences to his family. The man, and his humor will be sorely missed.

June 23, 2008 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  196. Jeremy Lymburner

George Carlin was the first comedian I saw live while I was living in Buffalo, NY. My mother took me to see him as he was her favorite comic for as long as she could remember. She had all his shows on LP. Now I am serving in the US military and have introduced many of the people I serve with to his style of comedy, which to say the least is completely hilarious and honest. Today is a very sad day for my mother and I as a truly great person and pioneer of his industry has been taken from us. He was definitely a person who told it like it was and held nothing back. We'll miss you George!

June 23, 2008 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  197. Gary V. Nichols

I met George Carlin at a book signing in DC. As I stepped up to the table to hand him my book he looked up, smiled, and said, "Yo ho Mr. Nichols." (I was in my Navy uniform at the time) I could not figure out how this awesome comic knew my name. I took my book, thanked him, and left. After pondering this for about 30 minutes I realized how he had been able to know my name, I had my name tag on. The book is in my book case now and still makes me laugh, as does thinking about the time a comic outsmarted a sailor by reading his name tag.

June 23, 2008 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  198. donna olmes

Wow, what a lost! I just watched one of his videos " Jammin in New York " this past weekend. His work was timeless and will never go out of style. He kept it real and ALWAYS SAID....what everyone else was thinking but was to afraid to say. I really liked his piece on the state of the planet and how one day the earth will just shake us off like fleas....it will happen! Thank you George for your ability to spoon feed us the truth while our mouths were wide open from laughing so hard..He will be missed...and there will never be another like him. Our prayers go to his family.

June 23, 2008 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  199. Thomas

"I used that word because that's what fat people are. They're fat. They're not large; they're not stout, chunky, hefty, or plump. And they're not big-boned. Dinosaurs are big-boned. These people are not necessarily obese, either. Obese is a medical term. And they're not overweight. Overweight implies there is some correct weight. There is no correct weight. Heavy is also a misleading term. An aircraft carrier is heavy; it's not fat. Only people are fat, and that's what fat people are. They're fat. I offer no apologies for this. It is not intended as a criticism or insult. It is simply descriptive language. I don't like euphemisms. Euphemisms are a form of lying. Fat people are not gravitationally disadvantaged. They're fat. I prefer seeing things the way they are, not the way some people wish they were.."

R.I.P

June 23, 2008 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  200. Andrea

I just saw him last month for the first (and only, now) time. This is so sad and I now feel extremely priveleged to have had that chance.

June 23, 2008 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  201. George Skirkanich

Carlin was not only a brilliant comedian, but an accomplished actor, as well. What I will remember most about him and his life was that he was an absolute master of language. He had a command of English that many of us today would envy, thus explaining his success with the "Seven Words".

Good night, sweet prince. I miss you already.

June 23, 2008 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  202. Kat

I was very sad to hear about the passing of George Carlin. I grew up in a pretty liberal home in Flint, Mi and my parents used to let us listen to Carlin when we were kids. I will always associated him with my parents and laughter, something that was very important in our household when we were growing up. His wit and oberservations of the human experience always made me laugh. I will miss his presence in the universe. I would say RIP, but I think that would be the last thing he would want to do...

June 23, 2008 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  203. William

Remember his skit on when Celebrities die? I think, if he really believed what he was saying, he would have hated all this attention. But he was a funny man, even though some of his humor was off color, and sometimes just off.

June 23, 2008 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  204. Clayton Reed

George Carlin was a big inspiration to me as a teenager in the early 70's. He not only made people laugh, but think "outside the box." I too, would go to school and re-enact his routines for my classmates. He made us all laugh and think. To this day I still think his ideas made me a better person by not accepting things like a herd of sheep. His wit an humor will be greatly missed by me and I know that anyone that was touched by him will miss him too.

June 23, 2008 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |