May 29th, 2008

Summer reading list

Though I really don’t get any more time to read in the summer as I do in, say, February, there’s something about the idea of “summer reading” that prompts me (and, judging from the countless stories out there, others) to make up foolhardy lists of all the books I plan to immerse myself in over the next three months.

The irascible Lewis Black has a new book out.

So here’s what I plan hope to get to before Labor Day appears, knowing full well that this list will last about as long as a chill in August:

– “The Last Campaign: Robert F. Kennedy and 82 Days That Inspired America,” Thurston Clarke (Henry Holt): I cried when I finished Evan Thomas’ RFK biography, and I expect to feel the same sadness when I get to the end of this new book about Kennedy’s ill-fated 1968 campaign.

– “Nixonland,” Rick Perlstein (Scribner): Perlstein’s book about the splintering of America, and its exploitation, should be a sobering bookend to “Last Campaign.”

– “The Enchantress of Florence,” Salman Rushdie (Random House): I hope to get the chance to interview Sir Salman when he comes to Atlanta in July to talk about his new novel, a romance set in the 16th century.

– “The Salterton Trilogy,” Robertson Davies (Penguin): I loved Davies’ Deptford Trilogy when I read it several years ago - particularly the amazing “Fifth Business” - but I haven’t returned to the late Canadian author. I hope to rectify that oversight.

– “Armageddon in Retrospect,” Kurt Vonnegut Jr. (Putnam): Vonnegut’s final book is a collection of unpublished stories, many set during the waning days of World War II he described in “Slaughterhouse-Five.”

– “Me of Little Faith,” Lewis Black (Riverhead): The Comedy Central curmudgeon is fiercely entertaining on the air. Will he do the job on the page? (His first book, “Nothing’s Sacred,” worked pretty well.)

– “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” Mark Twain (Bantam): Each summer, my book club reads a classic. I haven’t picked up either of these books in years; I hope they hold up. (Incidentally, I highly recommend Ron Powers’ brilliant 2005 Twain biography, “Mark Twain: A Life.”)

If I can maintain my usual book-a-week pace, I should have time for a few others. David Sedaris’ new collection? John Szwed’s Miles Davis biography, “So What”? To paraphrase “Jaws” Chief Martin Brody, I'm gonna need a bigger list.

What’s on your shelf for the summer?

- Todd Leopold, CNN.com Entertainment Producer

Filed under: Books

Next entry »
  1. Janice Mahon

I have just started reading "This Republic of Suffering, Death and the American Civil War" by Drew Gilpin Faust. 620,000 soldiers died in this horrible war, and this book addresses what happened to these bold men who gave their lives for "the great cause" and the disposition of their bodies.

My great great Uncle William Hand, who fought on the side of the North, who was a New York City native, he lost his life at the Battle of Mary's Heights in Fredericksburg, Virginia. A letter from the War Department to my family states as follows: "We regret to inform you that Mr. Hand died valiantly, his head was blown off by a cannonball and he died instantly."

My ancestor was buried in a mass grave in Fredericksburg along with all the other "Yankees." How did I find this out? Several years ago, I went down to Fredericksburg to try to get information about William Hand. As I went into the Visitors Center, i asked the guard how I could find the remains of my ancestor. "Well, was he a Yankee or a Confederate?" "He fought on the side of the North" said I. "He's buried in a mass grave" said he!

A great book, I highly recommend it!

December 19, 2008 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. andrea

how we are hungry-dave eggers
    slaughter-house five-kurt vonnegut
    napalm and silly putty-george carlin (also, brain dropping)
    middlesex-jeffery euginedes

July 14, 2008 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Simone

Currently, reading 'Library at Night' by Alberto Manguel. I take it on the deck each night at dusk and read a couple of chapters. It makes me want to revamp my own library, take out all the college paperbacks and look to more relevant things. His take on the place of a 'library' in one's life is very illuminating.

June 26, 2008 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jake from TX

"Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. Read it now, thank me later.

June 23, 2008 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kathrine

lately I've been selecting a classic author and reading all of his or her major works. by the end of the summer, I'll be done with:

dombey and son
    pickwick papers
    tale of two cities

June 23, 2008 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. Trish

Water for Elephants is an amazing, gripping story and Middlesex is brilliantly written. Pillars of the Earth will entertain you for days. Enjoy!

June 22, 2008 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. julie

Hardrok Stiff and Into Thin Air by Thomas Zigal
    the Lasy in the Palazzo
    Peace by Richard Bausch
    Thiteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
    Resistance by Owne Sheers
    Skeletons at the Fest by Chris Bohjalian
    Angelica by Arthur Phillps
    and i just finished Pariah by Thomas Zigal....a five-star who-done-it with a ghost

June 13, 2008 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Susan

This is ultra-light reading: The Shopaholic Series, or anything by Sophie Kinsella. Jennifer Weiner is also lots of fun. Summer reading to me means something I can read and still be interrupted by all the kids home from school!

For not-as-light, how about The Kiterunner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, or One Thousand White Women.

June 13, 2008 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. Christy

Read every book by Augusten Burroughs. He's fantastic!

June 12, 2008 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CJT

The Shack by William Young

June 12, 2008 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Beth

I read all things by Jonathan Kellerman, Janet Evanovich, Mitch Albom an Faye Kellerman. They are my top favorite authors.

I can not wait to read James Frey's new book, Julie Andrew's new book, and Girls Like Us!!!!!!

My all time, favorite books are:
    Helter Skelter (about the Manson Murders)
    A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
    Up the Down Staircase (I reread this book every year)
    Mila 18 (by Leon Uris)
    The Stand, by Stephen King (a masterpiece, imho)

June 11, 2008 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Deb

Sweet Love by Sarah Strohmeyer
    Bobbie Faye's (kinda, sorta, not exactly) Family Jewels by Toni McGee Causey
    Mercy Street by Mariah Stewart
    The Steel Wave by Jeff Shaara

The above are on my immediate list. After that, I have a mountainous to-be-read pile that I can pick from depending on my reading mood (light, dark, silly, suspense, etc.)

June 11, 2008 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Gabby

Books I'm planning to read:

1. Fast Food Nation by Eric Scholsser
    2. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
    3. The World According to Garp by John Irving (read The Cider House Rules last year, it was amazing!)
    4. Atlas Shrugged by Ana Rynd
    6. The Deathnote Series (gotta read some manga)

June 11, 2008 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Patricia

Four Queens by Nancy Goldstone
    Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson
    How to Read Literature like a Professor by Thomas Foster
    The Singular Mark Twain by Fred Kaplan

June 11, 2008 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Samantha

The World WIthout Us- Alan Weisman
    Sense and Sensibility- Jane Austen
    The Stand- Steven King

I'm eclectic. 🙂

June 11, 2008 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  16. MARIA M

Just discovered Harlan Coben...will read anything by him. Also, Nora Roberts, Dean Koontz, Michael Connelly, Kathy Reichs, Jodi Piccoult.

June 11, 2008 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  17. BuckeyChick

Candy Girl – Diablo Cody
    Catch up on James Patterson
    Benjamin Franklin by Walter Isaacson
    Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

June 10, 2008 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Diana

Just finished :

"Rhett Butler's People" by Donald McCaig. This book details the time and characters of Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind" from the prospective of Rhett Butler. As one who couldn't stand Scarlett at the end of "Gone With the Wind", it was nice to revisit the characters that I did enjoy!

Plan on reading:

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
    Home: A Memoir of My Early Years by Julie Andrews
    Ladies of Liberty by Cokie, Roberts
    Devil May Care (James Bond 007 Series)
    by Sebastian Faulks, Ian Fleming
    and, of course, no summer reading would be complete without at least on James Patterson and Clive Cussler!

June 10, 2008 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. MaryEllen Kane

summer is for light reading at the beach

To Kill a Mocking Bird – Harper Lee
    Fried Green Tomatoes – Fannie Flagg
    Beach House – James Paterson
    anything from Janet Evanovich

June 10, 2008 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. SHERYL

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen – good book, easy to read

June 10, 2008 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  21. Nina

New:
    The first two books of Nora Roberts newest Trilogy – "Blood Brothers" and "The Hollow".
    "The day I ate whatever I wanted" – Elizabeth Berg

Rereads:
    The three sisters trilogy – Nora Roberts
    "Emma" – Jane Austen
    "Midsummer Night's Dream" – Shakespeare
    "Mists of Avalon" – Marion Zimmer Bradley ( I've reread this every summer for 16 years, except the one that TNT mutilated it on screen )

And who knows how many more of the many gems in my bookcase...
    money's tight. It's a reread summer 🙂

June 9, 2008 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Cher Bellar

I am going to read all summer "Chick Lit" classics. If you are like me, please enjoy the book, The Bachlorette Party!!!! Funny, Sexy and perfect for those over 35, 40.....

June 9, 2008 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. mELIssa

so i guess im the only one who reads poetry anymore? why do books in general or in the summer have to be easy? UGH grrr.....

June 9, 2008 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  24. lori

Currently reading, "In the Company of the Courtesan" by Sarah Dunant. I loved "The Birth of Venus" so chose to read this one too. It's very good since I love historic novels. A little spicy too, so it's a good summer read for the pool and beach.

June 9, 2008 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  25. Brian Vannoy

The Lyre of Orpheus is my favorite Robertson Davies book. Next would be What's Bred in the Bone. GREAT READS!

June 8, 2008 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Nikkie

Anything by Dean Koontz!!! I just finished Odd Hours and I want more!!! If you're a Dean Koontz fan, you will understand!

June 8, 2008 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  27. anniegirl1138

Jane Austen works (I 've only ever read Emma)
    Germaine Greer – I have never word a word but the media sexism during the Democratic race have inspired me to learn a bit about the women's movement roots.

June 8, 2008 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  28. heather

I am a voracious reader and my list is shaping up like so:
    The End of Mr. Y (S. Thomas)
    Armagedon in Retrospet (Vonnegut)
    The Human Stain (P. Roth)
    Amsterdam (I. McEwan)
    Scarlett (S. Lawhead)

June 8, 2008 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  29. Tekisha Slack

"A Good and Happy Child" by Justin Evans
    Very scary stuff! Will be made into a movie soon.

June 7, 2008 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Shawn

1. A Land As God Made It - the subject is the Jamestown settlement
    2. Postively Main Street - Hunteresque account of traveling to Bob Dylan's hometown
    3. The Book Thief - have been told I need to read this one
    4. American Spinx - Jefferson
    5. Washington's Crossing - account of Trenton and Princeton
    6. Born in the Country: A History of Rural America - Ongoing preparation to write my family's history.

June 6, 2008 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Joyce

The River of Doubt by Candice Millard. I'm not much for history but loved this story of Theodore Roosevelt's great exploration trip down the River of Doubt in the Amazon.

June 6, 2008 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  32. salman siddiqui

i think i am just going to stick with HALO 🙂

June 6, 2008 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  33. Christy

The next Stephanie Plum novel by Janet Evanovich, Fearless Fourteen. Finished Charlaine Harris's From Dead to Worse. And I am working my way thru Victoria Laurie's Psychic Eye series. Just fun reads.

June 5, 2008 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  34. John

One of the best books I have ever read is The Path of the Heart by William and Joy Jenkins!

June 5, 2008 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Gayle

After reading "The Other Boleyn Girl," we've decided to go through the works of Philipa Gregory:
    "The Boleyn Inheritance"
    "The Virgin's Lover"
    "The Constant Princess"
    "WideAcre"
    "The Favored Child"
    "Meridon"

June 5, 2008 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Darnell

I am beginning my summer reading season off with some African literature that a professor friend of mine recommended. I just finished reading Chinua Achebe's THINGS FALL APART and am now working on SO LONG A LETTER by Mariama Ba.

I would like to pick up MEIN KAMPF and read it again. I read it 16 years ago (when I was 15 almost 16). and I would like to read it again balanced against my life experiences and knowledge of historical context that I have learned over the years.

As far as bestselling/mass fiction, there is nothing out there I'd really like to read right now....

June 5, 2008 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Chris

Anything by Augusten Burroughs is terrific!
    "A Wolf at the Table" is the newest read.
    "Dry" or "Running with Scissors" are both comedy and human tragedy at the same time. Delicious!

June 5, 2008 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  38. Pam

Planning on some light summer reading:
    any thing by Jimmy Buffett
    The Appeal–Grisham
    Some suspense novels by J.A Jance

June 5, 2008 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  39. becca

Currently rereading "flowers for algernon" for the 3rd time. This is the most moving book I've read in my life and the only to make me tear up. I can't believe I never discovered it in high school.

June 4, 2008 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Michelle

Check out first time author Laura A. Hooper's new novel at http://www.rosebudstalker.com

One of the best books of the summer!

June 4, 2008 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  41. JEB

The Time Traveler’s Wife (Audrey Neffenegger). This book is a great summer read. It's a funny, romantic journey that you can't put down.

June 3, 2008 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Mich

I am reading Stephenie Meyer's books: "Twilight", "New Moon", "Eclipse", "The Host" and finally "Breaking Dawn" when it is released in August

June 3, 2008 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Juls

I love historicals. Any thing!!! Pre-17th century,most interesting. But then again, I'll read just anything. When my child was small, I read to her constantly. And when she was about five, she could read for herself. My point is, when a child can't read, a child cannot learn, so parents, do yourself a favor with your summer reading. Include books for your child and READ to them. It will be good for you, as well. Besides, what can it hurt, you may learn something, too. Incidentally, that little girl that I read to so many years ago is a lawyer.

June 2, 2008 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Ashley

Anything by Carl Hiassen (local Miami author, also has a column in the Miami Herald)- his books are hilarious, highlighting the insanity that is South Florida. "Stormy Weather" is my favorite so far.

June 2, 2008 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Clark

The Art of Racing in the Rain (Garth Stein)
    The Road (Cormac McCarthy)
    Taxi to Tashkent (Tom Fleming)
    Flawed Giant: LBJ and His Times (Robert Dallek)

June 2, 2008 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Allen

"Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz

"Brother Odd" by Dean Koontz

"With The Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" by E. B. Sledge

"The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief" by Francis Collins

"Ghosts Among Us" by James Van Praagh

June 2, 2008 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Jace

Books I would highly recommend:

Pillars of the Earth/World Without End (Follett)

the entire Clan of the Cave Bear series (Jean Auel)

The Color Purple (Alice Walker)

The Time Traveler's Wife (Audrey Neffenegger) (read it before the movie comes out!)

The Stand (uncut version) (Stephen King)

Bag of Bones (Stephen King)

The Oil Age is Over: Deal With Reality or Reality Will Deal With You (Matt Savinar)

On my list for this summer:

The Prophet's Way (Thom Hartmann)
    Walking Your Blues Away (Thom Hartmann)
    anything about Peak Oil that my boyfriend thrusts upon me *L*

Currently Reading:
    Where In The World Is Osama bin Laden (Morgan Spurlock)

And as someone above said, the library is awesome!! All those free books just make me want to swoon!

May 31, 2008 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Robert

Nice to Come Home To – by Rebecca Flowers

May 31, 2008 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Jacquie G.

I'm rereading all of Peter Robinson's books with his character, Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks. I've read them all over time, but now have collected them and will do them in order.

I recently discovered author Denise Mina. Her books take place in Glasgow, Scotland.. I liked the Garnet Hill Trilogy.

Politically: The Nine, The Commission, Obama's books, and Senator Lincoln Chafee's new memoir. Sports – right now my husband is reading a book about Terry Francona by Michael Holley and I'm on Mike Lowell's book. Both very good, especially if you're a Red Sox fan.

Lots of good reading out there for the summer of '08.

May 31, 2008 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jane Cornett

Summer is for sizzlers- "Big City, Bad Blood" by Sean Chercover and "Hardcore Hardboiled" Edited by Todd Robinson. I'm really looking forward to Lee Child's "Nothing to Lose", and Chercover's "Trigger City" which I hope come out soon.

May 30, 2008 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  51. jeanne

Evidence of Things Unseen Marianne Wiggins
    Water for Elephants Sara Gruen
    Persepolis Marjane Satrapi
    Longitude Dava Sobel
    Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes Cathcart and Klein
    American Bloomsbury Susan Cheever

Just finished The Bielski Brothers by Peter Duffy, On the Road and Ethel & Ernest by Raymond Briggs

May 30, 2008 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Shawn

The God Principle by John Rekesh is one of the best books I have ever read. It changed the way I looked at life.

May 30, 2008 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Lisa

My book list

1. Treasure Island
    2. Breaking Dawn (go to stepheniemeyer.com to learn more)
    3. The Host (again stepheniemeyer.com)
    4. Inkheart
    5. Shadow Children series by Haddix
    6. Narnia books

These are all books that anyone can get into and enjoy.

May 30, 2008 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  54. Julia H

"The Richest Season," By Maryann McFadden
    Coming out next week from Hyperion.

May 30, 2008 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  55. John

ANYTHING BY HARRY TURTLEDOVE AND ROBERT CONROY'S 1900,1861 AND 1945. Micheal Dobson and Douglas Niles books

May 30, 2008 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  56. Chris

Breaking Dawn

The Shack

Redeeming Love

Any new Janet Evanovich or James Patterson books

May 30, 2008 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  57. Kathe

Couples by John Updike along with Heartburn by Nora Ephron are my standard summer reading. New books include The Big Why by Michael Winter and Air above Water by Elizabeth Hay.

May 30, 2008 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  58. Nina

New Prey book by John Sanford
    New book by Nevada Barr

May 29, 2008 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  59. OBAMA 08

Dreams of my father -Barack Obama
    Audacity of Hope – Barack Obama
    The Tipping Point – Malcom Gladwell
    Catcher in the Rye – J.D Salinger
    Death of a revoluntionary , Che Guevera .
    The Art of War
    Rose that grew from concrete .

OBAMA 2008- 2016

May 29, 2008 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Alex

If i get the time between jobs and college courses I plan on reading quite a few books.

1. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
    2. The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman
    3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (again) by J.K. Rowling
    4. Eldest by Christopher Paolini
    5. The Marshall Plan to Novel Writing
    6. Ranger's Apprentice book 3
    7. Ranger's Apprentice book 4
    8. The Wizard Heir
    9. Pillars of the Earth

And whatever else may pop up along the way. The list is ambitious.

May 29, 2008 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Cassandra

"The Giver" by Lois Lowry- Amazing Book!!!

"Night"- Elie Wiesel (not for those with a sensitive stomach, but still highly reccomended for those interested in the Holocaust)

May 29, 2008 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Gary

Wicked
    The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
    By
    Gregory Maguire

May 29, 2008 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  63. matt j, brooklyn

into the wild, jon krakauer
    yiddish policeman's union, michael chabon
    the maltese falcon, dashell hammett
    torso, brian michael bendis
    a modern world, michael chabon
    how we are hungry, dave eggers
    the road, cormac mccarthy

May 29, 2008 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  64. John Ramsey

One of the best books that I've picked up in the last year is an independent called "Toilet Bowl Soup: Redneck Tales from the Armpit of America" by Mike Adams. This book is hilarious and I take it with me every time I travel. There is a website http://www.toiletbowlsoup.com

May 29, 2008 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Simone L

Letters to a young therapist

Eat, Pray, & Love

And whatever else falls into my lap

May 29, 2008 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Maggie

I just read "Swine Not", Jimmy Buffett's new book – quick, enjoyable read. Janet Evanovich's new one coming out soon, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett has been waiting in a pile of others. I may finally get to that one. I also am awaiting the arrival of Bobby Murcer's autobiography "Yankee for Life". I ordered it this week and am a HUGE Murcer fan as well as a lifelong NY Yankees fan

May 29, 2008 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  67. kate

Summer is fiction.
    It's the light and easy beach reads. The books that you can keep in your car or in your bag and mix them up several times without missing to much in between.
    I love the lists already posted.
    Who said reading was a thing of the past?
    Looks like a lot of people are still enjoying a good read.
    Janet Evonavich 14 is my must.
    Last thirteen years I read all the old ones again and then donate them to local libraries or book drives to get them out and shared with others.
    Remember to pass on a good book to others.
    Hell, pass on a bad book to others. Someone else may like ?

May 29, 2008 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Margaret

"Water for Elephants"

May 29, 2008 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  69. iheartreading!

Anything by James Patterson....he is amazing. (Make sure that you read the Cross series ...very excellent.)

When Janet Evanovich's new book comes out ....my entire family will be reading it this summer!

I just started the Stephanie Myer series....good so far...something totally different, but very good.

Probably be reading some of the classics such as Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austin as well.

May 29, 2008 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Alex

I hit return by accident on my previous post. I mean to also mention Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, which I plan to read when it hits paperback in July.

May 29, 2008 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Alex

The new Bond novel, Devil May Care
    Golden Compass
    The Book of the Damned: The Collected Works of Charles Fort (He was the original real-life Fox Mulder back in the early 20th Century)
    And I'm also about 2/3 of the way through a years-long project to read the complete Simon Templar "The Saint" mystery series by Leslie Charteris, so there will be more of those read over the summer, too.

May 29, 2008 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  72. SMD

Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes was a great read, I am looking forward to reading the Barbara Walter's memoir as well as James Patterson's upcoming novel, SAIL.

May 29, 2008 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Jen A

Blood Noir-Laurell K Hamilton
    Blue Smoke and Mirrors-Elizabeth Lowell
    Tail Spin-Catherine Coulter
    Death Angel-Linda Howard
    Cry Wolf-Patricia Briggs
    Tribute-Nora Roberts
    Heart Fate-Robin D Owens
    Meliting Stones-Tamora Pierce

May 29, 2008 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Christie

I am currently reading "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet, and have to say that it is an incredible read!! So on my list for the summer is the sequel "World without End". I am quite excited that when I am finished with this book that I have another one to jump straight into.

May 29, 2008 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Pammy D

Can't wait to get my hands on the new comedic caper by Toni McGee Causey. Bobbie Faye's (kinda, sorta, not-exactly) Family Jewels is in bookstores this week.

Her first book, Bobbie Faye's Very (very, very, very) Bad Day was my favorite read of last year. I think I fell off my couch about ten times from laughing too hard during reading.

You can check out the author's site:

Also LOVE Lisa Lutz, The Spellman Files.

And anything by Harlen Coben and Robert Crais that I haven't read already.

May 29, 2008 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  76. martha

Patricia, I spent a summer reading AnaisNin, DjunaBarnes when I was 18, and it changed my life. Don't miss Nin's exquisite diaries.
    Brian: Wish we could sit and talk about Gertrude Bell together. Don't miss one I'm reading right now, too:
    A Winter in Arabia by Freya Stark
    Other reads in my pile: the Wretched of the Earth and Black Skin, White Masks, by Frantz Fanon, a psychiatrist in Algeria during the war, his theories and reflections on being black, being traumatized by revolution, and the methods of revolutions.
    Naguib Mafouz, Palace Walk–a trilogy, political fiction, Egypt, 1920s
    Al Sadr–new book just out
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, schitzy/funnyabout New Orleans, fiction discovered posthumously by Walker Percy, won Pulitzer–amazing writing not to be missed by lovers of The Big Easy!

May 29, 2008 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Emily

Anybody with even a vague interest in wine should read "The Billionaire's Vinegar" by Benjamin Wallace. I just finished it and it is so well written that it reads more smoothly than even the best fiction and is very researched.

May 29, 2008 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |

7. Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
    8. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
    9. The Hot Zone by Richard Preston
    10. The Andromeda Strain by Michel Crichton

May 29, 2008 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Kathy

The Richest Season by Maryann McFadden. I know some book club members that had an advanced copy and loved it. Officially comes out next week.

May 29, 2008 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Amanda

Whatever catches my eye. Can't wait to find out what that is!!!

May 29, 2008 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Rachel

Arthur Schlesinger's "The Imperial Presidency," "The Thousand Days," "Robert F. Kennedy and His Times;" Richard Hofstadter's "Anti-Intellectualism in American Life;" all of Robert Caro's three-volume biography of Lyndon Johnson, "The Years of Lyndon Johnson," Jeff Shesol's "Mutual Contempt" (a re-read, now that I've read a biography of Lyndon Johnson. Just having Robert Kennedy's life's perspective wasn't enough to fully comprehend Shesol's analysis the first time through.)

Incidentally, I read Evan Thomas' biography of , and it certainly moved me to tears. "Nixonland" and Thurston Clarke's “The Last Campaign: Robert F. Kennedy and 82 Days That Inspired America” are on my list, if I have time.

Obviously a very politically and historically oriented crop of summer reading for me.

May 29, 2008 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Teri

you have to check out Barry Eisler's series of books about John Rain!!!
    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED all of them....
    You can go to BarryEisler.com to get more info...

May 29, 2008 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Tom Bruce

I read a book a week. The following are upcoming planned reads:
    Nortre Dame vs the Klan by Todd Tucker
    Adirondack French Louie by Harvey L. Dunham
    Gang Leader for a Day by Sudhin Venkatesh
    Ike: An American Hero by Michael Korda
    Lincoln Unmasked by Thomas DiLorenzo
    The Real Lincoln by Thomas DiLorenzo
    Slipknot by Linda Greenlaw
    On Liberty by John Stewart Mill

May 29, 2008 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Jessica

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

May 29, 2008 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  87. C.Wutzke

The Diana Gabaldon 'Outlander' series is excellent, though each book tops 800 pages so don't plan on accomplishing much else while immersed. No matter, fans of "Herself" LOVE big books! I can also HIGHLY recommend Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" and sequel "World Without End".

May 29, 2008 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Abbs

The Road

May 29, 2008 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Benson

"Snuff" by Chuck Palahniuk

May 29, 2008 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Alexa

Hiding in Hip Hop: On the Down Low in the Entertainment Industry
    The Andromeda Strain, which I am fairly certain I read back at age 11 or something, but have completely forgotten by now
    Russian Prison Tattoos and the Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopaedia

I'm also planning to reread all the Edward Eager books I've not picked up in years, and a thousand other things along the way.
    Anyone who hasn't read Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer yet should put that on their list, along with the film.

May 29, 2008 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  91. McAdam

Fiction:

"The Garden of Last Days" Andre Dubus III – I'm surprised this book hasn't gotten more press considering the success of "House of Sand and Fog." If this this is as good as that one, then it's an amazing book.

"A Good and Happy Child" Justin Evans

"So Brave, Young, and Handsome" Leif Enger- Enger's earlier "Peace Like a River" is a beautiful book; I'm sure this will be wonderful as well.

"Mister Pip" Lloyd Jones

Nonfiction:

"Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness" Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein

"The Political Brain: The Role of Emotion in Deciding the Fate of the Nation" Drew Weston

"The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives" Leonard Mlodinow

"Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets" Sudhir Venkatesh

May 29, 2008 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Sarah Davis

I'm halfway through Amanda Rio, by Steven Donahue, a book about domestic violence. Not too many people know about this book, but I strongly recommend it. So far, it's been terrific.

May 29, 2008 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |

May 29, 2008 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  94. rog

Finally getting to: Schulz and Peanuts – a bio by David Michaelis
    Child 44 – Tom Rob Smith
    His Excellency – George Washington – Joseph Ellis
    The Promise: God's Purpose & Plan For When Life Hurts – Fr. Johnathan Morris

just a few to name a few

May 29, 2008 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Rita

The Book Thief – by Markus Zusak
    The Power of One – by Bryce Courtenay
    Girls Like Us – about the lives of Carly Simon, Carole King and Joni Mitchell. Started this one and it's very interesting.

May 29, 2008 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Sara Gulfport, MS

Finishing the Stephanie Plum Chronicles by Janet Evanovich

May 29, 2008 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  97. HeyZeus

Looking forward to "Lush Life" and a new biography of Willie Nelson.

May 29, 2008 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Bill

Michael Morshed's debut novella, "No Room for Innocence". It's about three 20 something's trying to make their way through a current day that is on the cusp of societal change. Petty theft, mobsters, bar drinking, girlfriends and infidelities, it's packed with relatable emotions and cuts deep to what it means to be human these days. Great illustrations in it too! A good quick read.

May 29, 2008 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Kimberly

March by Geraldine Brooks
    The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
    Read People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

May 29, 2008 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Brian

My Life at Grey Gardens: 13 Monrths and Beyond
    The Emperor's Children (trying to finish this never-ending snoozer; not a recommended read)
    Stonewall: The Riots That Sparked the Gay Revolution
    Fallen Founder: The KLife of Aaron Burr
    Gertrude Bell: Queen of the Desert, Shaper of Nations
    When You Are Engulfed in Flames (Sedaris)
    The 13th Tale

If I have time, I will likely throw in some Hemmingway

May 29, 2008 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Calley

World War Z – Max Brooks – Again
    The Zombie Survival Guide – Max Brooks
    Monster Nation – David Wellington

May 29, 2008 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  102. PamSansour

Autobiography of a Face, by Lucy Grealy. I just finished Truth and Beauty, based on Grealy's life, and cannot WAIT to read her story.

May 29, 2008 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  103. margaret

and re-reading David Peterson's On The Wild Edge and Pete Fromm's Indian Creek Cronicles – a classic

May 29, 2008 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Mary, Atlanta

Finish Eat, Pray, Love
    Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
    Getting a Grip: Clarity, Creativity, and Courage in a World Gone Mad
    Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit
    An Inconvenient Truth: The Crisis of Global Warming

May 29, 2008 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  105. margaret

The Road by Cormac Mccarthy
    The World Without Us by Alan Weisman -
    real uplifting stuff!

May 29, 2008 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Connie

Number one book this summer I cannot wait to read: Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer! I have it marked on my calendar and can't wait to get my hands on this one!

May 29, 2008 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Kathy

"Girls Like Us" by Sheila Weller. If you are a baby boomer, you will love the behind-the-scenes stories about Carole King, Carly Simon, and Joni Mitchell. Very interesting reading.

May 29, 2008 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Anon_e_mouse

1. "William Clark: Indian Diplomat", by Jay H. Buckley (actually, I'm over halfway through with this one right now... an interesting book that offers no apologies, merely explanations for how one man implemented American policy towards the Native Americans from about 1815 to 1836)
    2. "George Washington's Secret Navy", by James L. Nelson
    3. "Built to Move Millions: Streetcar Building in Ohio", by Craig R. Semsel
    4. "The New York, Westchester and Boston Railway: J. P. Morgan's Magnificent Mistake", by Herbert H. Harwood Jr.

May 29, 2008 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Jane

The Heroin Diaries is a great read-it's a look into the drug world through the eyes of the taker. It's a great non-committal read, easy to follow, yet totally foreign to a non-drug user. I grew up in the "just say no" generation. Jodi Pouchoult is always a great choice, always a page turner.

May 29, 2008 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Jim

Finishing up:

For Whom the Bell Tolls – Hemingway
    Troubled Sleep – Jean Paul Sartre

On the list for the rest of Summer:

Lolita – Nabokov
    The Sun Also Rises – Hemingway
    A Moveable Feast – Hemingway
    The Sound and the Fury – Faulkner
    100 Years of Solitude – Marquez

No present author can stand up to the likes of Fitzgerald or Hemingway, which is unfortunate.

May 29, 2008 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Necie

I recommend everyone read The Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. This is a true story about the lost of lives of some of the bravest men that ever walked the face of this earth. This book has changed the way i view life, and changed what i view as a challenge. I have NEVER in my 35 yrs been so deeply touched by a book. Everyone i've shared this story with has the same response. Please read, i promise, you won't regret the time it takes.

May 29, 2008 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Jodi

well i have my books in order on how i want to read them

1. The Right Hand of Evil- JOHN SAUL
    2. SUSHI FOR BEGINNERS
    3. VANISHING ACTS

May 29, 2008 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Rekha

Try "The God Principle " by John Rekesh. It is an excellent book.

May 29, 2008 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Jon

Confessions of an Economic Hitman (NY Times Bestselling fictionalized memoir about how the global economy is linked to corporate economic forecasting). I can't put it down.

Next up is of course McClellan's memoir.

May 29, 2008 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  115. C.Hearn

Voices of Autism the healiing companion : a volume of real stories
    about the disease. Reading this collection gives comfort to families
    coping with some very difficult times. Profits from the book will be donated to The Healing Project, a not-for-profit organization.

May 29, 2008 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Andrea

The only one I'm trying to get to for certain is The Omnivore's Dilemma. Luckily, my city expanded the library budget to enable each branch to open six days a week instead of five–so now I can go on Saturdays (if it weren't open on the weekends, it would be useless to me). I just run into the library once a week and pick up what strikes me at the time. It's a nice suprise every week!

May 29, 2008 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Sam Twain

I'm finding lots of wonderful stuff published "on demand" (amazon.com and others offer such services to new authors), perfect for light "summer reading." Just finished a nifty sci-fi/ghost story called "Quantum Acres" by Gregory Zeller ... scary, exciting, funny fun!!

May 29, 2008 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  118. RJ

"Roots" by Alex Haley
    "Robert Kennedy" by Evan Thomas
    "This Side of Paradise" by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    "Night" by Elie Wiesel

May 29, 2008 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Jax

The Richest Season by Maryann McFadden. It comes out next week - I can't wait!!!!!!

May 29, 2008 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Peter Vogel

The Salterton trilogy isn't as good as the Deptford trilogy. The second book (Tempest-Tost) is some fun, especially if you've ever worked in amateur theatre) and the third book (A Mixture of Frailties) is excellent, as Davies always is when writing about artists (in this case, a budding opera singer). However, the first book (Leaven of Malice) isn't great. (I may have the order of the first two books wrong–either way it's one very good back, one OK book, and a not so great book).

On the other hand, Davies' Cornish trilogy starts with a not-so great novel (Rebel Angels) which does finish with a fabulous sexual perversion. But both of the next two books (What's Bred in the Bone, Lyre of Orpheus) are excellent. It might be a better second choice after the Deptford trilogy.

May 29, 2008 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Bob

already read:
    on the road

reading these this summer:

the god delusion
    the monkey-wrench gang
    zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

hopefully i can get to a couple of kurt vonneguts before the end of summer

May 29, 2008 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Saggia

Murder at the Bad Girls Bar & Grill by N.M. Kelby
    Infected by Scott Sigler
    Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea. by Chelsea Handler
    Odd Hours by Dean Koontz
    Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughn
    Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
    Nothing to Lose by Lee Child

May 29, 2008 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Scott

"Can't Stop, Won't Stop: The History of Hip Hop"

May 29, 2008 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Tom M.

Slash and the Heroin Diaries.

These books are a tremdous read and an intense look into the lives of two of the most hardcore rockstars of our time.
    Check these out if you love to ROCK!

May 29, 2008 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  125. JS

The entire Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. I've read them before but absolutley have to read them again before the fourth and final book comes out in August and the first movie in December. I highly reccomend these books to anyone.

Other books: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and a few others I have yet to stumble across.

May 29, 2008 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Nikki

The Beautiful Fall: Fashion, Genius, and Glorious Excess in 1970s Paris by Alicia Drake.

May 29, 2008 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Desiree

Important books!!!

Global Brain – Howard Bloom
    On Combat – Dave Grossman

May 29, 2008 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  128. kevin

I like reading adventures.
    Anything by Clive Cussler and I can't be bothered.
    Every 5 years or so, I reread To Kill A Mockingbird.
    Such an amazing piece of American Lit. And a pretty good movie as well!
    Summer means escaping, so the more fun the book the better.

May 29, 2008 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |

The Lover – Margueritte Duras
    Glenavaron – Lady Caroline Lamb
    Ladies of Grace Adieu – Suzanna Clark
    John Adams- David McCullough

May 29, 2008 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Mary

I'm with Resheda and her friend. I plan to read all Jane Austen plus other books written about Jane or sequels to her originals! I will take Austen books with me when I travel to France and Spain this summer.

May 29, 2008 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Cindy

Rosebud Stalker by Laura Hooper. Great book for a first-time author, but can only be purchased online at her website: rosebudstalker.com.
    I'm looking forward to her next one!!

May 29, 2008 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Lisa A.

It's going to be a full-time job just to keep up with the books all my favorite authors are releasing in the next few weeks: Ruth Rendell, David Sedaris, Marian Keyes and Janet Evanovich all have books coming out. I've also recently discovered the adorable "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series by Alexander McCall Smith, so that should keep me busy for the rest of the summer!

May 29, 2008 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Lisa

I'm a self-confessed non-fiction junkie. I cannot wait to read Scott McClellan's revealing account of his time as the press secretary in the Bush White House.
    The Diving Bell and the Butterfly sounds intriguing to me as well.
    Believe it or not, some of the best books I've read over the last couple of years have been featured on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report. They select some of the most articulate and fascinating authors to feature. (Better than some of the soppy stuff Oprah chooses.)

May 29, 2008 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Pete

1) Re-reading "The Dark Tower" by Stephen King
    2) Raymond Feist's new book
    3) George RR Martin's new "A Song of Ice and Fire" Novel – when it comes out

May 29, 2008 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  136. diane

An unfinished life (about the life of jfk)
    The greatest generation-Tom Brokaw
    Eat, Love, Pray

May 29, 2008 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Tiffany from Florida

My list may be a bit different from what others have posted thus far... I am a high school teacher and read things that I can put on my classroom shelf and recommend/relate to my students. However, all of these books are splendid for adult readers as well since it takes us out of that 'real world' landscape and into smaller problems and bigger joys:

1. Breaking Dawn (Stephanie Meyer) **This is the highly anticipated 4th edition of the Twilight Series - I highly recommend the entire series! These books are receiving high acclaims by both teens and adults all across the world (PS. I am in love with Edward just like all other female readers of this series!)**
    2. The Looking Glass Wars (Frank Beddor)
    3. Lock and Key (Sarah Dessen)
    5. Peter Pan (J. Barrie)

May 29, 2008 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Anita

The Unexpected and Fictional Career Change of Jim Kearns, by David Munroe, a funny and totally identifiable memoir of an average guy; The Outsider by Albert Camus and the Amber Series by Roger Zelazny.

May 29, 2008 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Matthew

Stephen King's Dark Tower series and related books.

May 29, 2008 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  140. John

I believe summer reads by definition should be something light, not mentally taxing, and something you don't mind getting wet, sandy, or covered with sunscreen at the beach

I'm starting with Candy Everybody Wants by Josh Kilmer-Purcell

May 29, 2008 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Franz

Varney the Vampire by James Malcolm Rymer (who wrote Sweeney Todd) and The Haunted Palace by Mrs. Yorke (1801).

May 29, 2008 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Kristen Steele

The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon

May 29, 2008 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Cathy Serwe

"Absolution Denied" looks like a great mystery from a new writer named Jeff Reindl. I think it will be a great summer read.

May 29, 2008 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Jules

Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey
    Note of a Dirty Old Man by Charles Bukowski
    The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin
    The Cowboy and His Elephant by Malcolm MacPherson
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (this one should take most of the summer!)

May 29, 2008 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Jerry Keselman

John Adams – about a third of the way through and this is great. After watching the miniseries I needed more and this book is providing it.
    The Hobbit – reading for the umpteenth time, now with my 9-year old daughter.

May 29, 2008 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  146. TJ

"Spencer Hurley and the Aliens". Reading it to the kids. It's a new novel series for kids. It's about a brother and sister that get abducted by aliens.

May 29, 2008 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Lisa

Read The Dew Breaker by Edwidge Danticat.

I applaud you for choosing Twain. I suggest reading Puddnhead Wilson instead of Tom Sawyer; it's actually a better complement to Huck Finn.

May 29, 2008 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Niblet

1. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
    2. The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
    3. What Shamu Taught Me About Life, Love, and Marriage: Lessons for People from Animals and Their Trainers by Amy Sutherland
    4. Hold Tight by Harlan Coben
    5. America: The Last Best Hope V.1 by William J. Bennett
    6. A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle

May 29, 2008 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  149. tim bullard

"stop the madness" by amy goodman and david goodman. it's a horror story, especially the librarian part and the Patriot Act parts. it's like a lost script of Rod Serling's.
    chilling.

May 29, 2008 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  150. JH

I'm reading all of E.M. Forster's books this summer. Nerdy, I know, but he's an author I managed to avoid all through college. I feel guilty about that, especially after loving Zadie Smith's "On Beauty" so much (it's based on Forster's "Howard's End"). Started with his first, and I'm loving it so far.

May 29, 2008 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  151. diane

All of the Harry Potter books!!!

May 29, 2008 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  152. Taylor

"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" by Jean-Dominque Bauby. An incredibly moving story about the former editor of French Elle who suffered a stroke leaving him completely paralyzed with the exception of one eyelid. His physical therapist created a communication system – certain letters corresponded with a winking pattern. Using this system he penned this masterpiece about his life.

May 29, 2008 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  153. anonymous

Why you try "100 Great American Novels You Should Have Read but (Probably) Didn't"? Great selection of overlooked and lesser known American novels from the past 200 years.

May 29, 2008 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  154. Tyler Herman

"Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea." This book by Chelsea Handler, host of Chelsea Lately on E, is one of the most humorous books I have read. She is to the point and honest with all she has to say with being funny and sometimes going over the line which makes it that much better.

May 29, 2008 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  155. Harry W

"The Creature from Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin – an account of the formation of the Federal Reserve by a group of early ultra-rich.

May 29, 2008 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  156. DrD

Since this is the 100th birthday year for Ian Fleming, I am reading all of the original 007 James Bond novels in order of publication. I am also looking forward to "Devil May Care," the new 007 novel by Sebastian Faulks that is supposedly written in the original Fleming style.

May 29, 2008 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  157. Resheda

A friend and I are reading Jane Austen's collection this summer. Both of us recall reading a few in high school but neither of us retained much.

May 29, 2008 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  158. Vicki, Florida

The Golden Notebook
    The Darkest Child
    A Clockwork Orange
    What is the What
    The Grapes of Wrath

May 29, 2008 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  159. Matt C

"All We Ever Wanted Was Everything" by Janelle Brown. About a family blowing up in the excesses of the dot com boom. Sounds hilarious and sharp and getting really good reviews.

May 29, 2008 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |