May 19th, 2008

The crush to see Indiana Jones

Sunday afternoon, thousands of journalists, film critics and invited guests were anxiously awaiting the first screening of the new Indiana Jones film, "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," here at the Cannes Film Festival. It has been nearly 20 years since the last Indy movie, after all.

The first screening was at 1 p.m. at the main theater at the Palais. The civilized group of patrons patiently waiting to be allowed entrance into the theater quickly turned into a mob scene as reporters with looming deadlines worried they wouldn't be let inside before the theater reached capacity. I remember a similar situation when "The Da Vinci Code" premiered here at Cannes two years ago. It was unpleasant, but hopefully everyone who needed to see the film was able to do so.

That scene really demonstrated how this is the big movie here at the festival. Watch some of the anticipation surrounding the "Indiana Jones" premiere

The day before, over at the famed Carlton Hotel on the Croisette, I interviewed the cast and filmmakers .. .and some of them were very worried about the reception the movie would receive. Director Steven Spielberg initially declined to do any press other than international, but in the end, he agreed to talk to CNN. He told me he was extremely nervous about showing the movie, but that he feels that way about all of his films. Star Shia LaBeouf asserted he loves the film but is terrified his individual performance could be the one to "bring the house of cards down."

Now that it's been shown, "Crystal Skull" is getting mixed reviews. People magazine film critic Leah Rozen told me, "You wanted to love it and I think most of us liked it. It's fine, you feel kind towards it, but there are stretches where you're going, why isn't this more fun, why isn't this really popping."

USA Today asserted, "There is considerable fun, and it's good to see that Indy, though slightly weary, still has the goods."

Other critics weren't so kind. The Chicago Tribune called it a "cockamamie" story, and The Hollywood Reporter said Indy "gets swamped in a sea of stunts."

Star Harrison Ford told me he's unconcerned about the critics and he's "damn proud" of the movie.

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" opens worldwide this week. Do you have a review of the film? Submit it to us at iReport.com.

- Brooke Anderson, CNN Entertainment Correspondent

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. escort site

Rather cool site you've got here. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Hilary Benedict

August 31, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Solid Snake

this movie is teh suxxzors...

July 7, 2008 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Michael Bryan

You people are joking, right? I mean you HAVE seen the movie, right? It's just so...tired. Boring, bad and tired. 19 years and we get Indiana Jones meets ET? Really?

If anyone here thinks this is a good movie then you are truly starving for good movies. It's just as Lucas predicted – he said we'd hate it as much as the new Star Wars and he's right. It's that bad.

May 30, 2008 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tom

I left the movie disappointed. This film just did not have the panache of the other three. It was almost like it was an excuse for ILM to show off their chops. There _were_ great moments in the movie. The problem was that the story was disjointed and erratic, and the characters we all know and love got buried by the CGI. The cast performed well. Karen Allen still has chemistry with Harrison Ford. Shia LaBouf is showing he has a promising career ahead of him. The script, however, was horrid.

This wasnt so much a bad movie as it was a bad Indiana Jones movie.

May 29, 2008 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Shawn Slone

I'm not going to go on and on about how bad this movie sucked but if it were hanging out at the corner of Hollywood and Vine after dark it would make quiet a bit of money there too. The Dyson vacuum guy may want to speak with Spielberg and Lucas to get some ideas on how to create maximum suckage.

May 29, 2008 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Richard

The movie critics got it right this time. This movie sucked all around.

May 28, 2008 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Crystal

well, i wouldn't say this is the best Indy Jones movie, but it is entertaining than majority of the big-box-office movies, my advice: go to see the movie with less expectation......... Spielberg and Lucas are pure genius!!!

May 27, 2008 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. joopy

I've watched all the indy's every few years...
    and this is easily my very favorite...imagine that..
    The haters seem to have this idea that becuse they
    hate all over something....that makes the people
    who love it look dumb, like they are smarter...
    i ask all of you...what is the point of life? to love
    or to hate? to look for the good in something
    or look for that bad...or a balance between the both...
    that's for each and every one of us to decide.
    but for my own sake, and also as an artist, and
    creator, i know which side i'm leaning towards.

May 27, 2008 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joe

$311 million world wide, I guess word of mouth really took this one to a new level :>

May 26, 2008 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. David D

What a waste of money, huge plot holes even these big stars can not fill, I expect more for my money. Watch the ratings dive on this movie once 'word of mouth' takes effect.

May 26, 2008 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. boten50

Aweful movie. I loved all of Harrison Ford's movies but this one is by far the bigggest waste of time. It is a shear example of good marketing the movie was worthless.

May 25, 2008 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Teresa

I don't really care what the critics say about a movie, any movie. But it was interesting to see the reviews, because really, none of them wanted to be unkind to this institution, but I will be. I am a huge fan of the Indy movies and was so thoroughly disappointed by this movie. It did not stay true to the franchise....too much with special effects and not enough with the story (too many little details, how much about the 50's history can you put into the first 20 minutes? and the oh, hey let's throw the kid in with no lead in). Very, very disappointed by the movie and disappointed by the critics being so very kind to it!

May 25, 2008 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joe

Welp, I wasn't disappointed in it. It was leaps and bounds better than "Last Crusade."

Each Indy movie was different from the previous, this one is no exception.

The critics are just "Phantom Menaceing" all over again!

May 25, 2008 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kerri Sachan

Harrison Ford has left a legacy in Indiana Jones, and no one will ever be able to fill his shoes. Therefore, I think this movie was made for two reasons: (1) to bring back the "old" Indy fans; and (2) to pass the torch to a younger generation.

I thought the effects were somewhat cheesy (in comparison with what LucasArts has done with other films), but maybe they were meant to be that way. Let's not forget that Harrison Ford is still as handsome as ever, and is still able to do his own stunts at 65-years-old. That in itself deserves a round of applause.

We love you Dr. Jones.

May 25, 2008 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Garla

I liked the movie. I go to movies to be entertained and that's exactly what I was "entertained". I pay no attention to movie critics....I so often don't agree with them anyway. I rely more on my own instinct and that of my friends. It was a great way to spend a couple of hours with an "old friend." It was good to see him and Marion back together again and "Mutt" added a fresh perspective. It's not a "deep" film, it's not supposed to be! It's supposed to be entertaining and IMO, it was just that! Kudos to Spielberg, Ford, Lucas and the rest of the gang! I hadn't been to the movies in a couple of months or more and it was well worth the wait!

May 25, 2008 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jonathan

It was a lot of fun. Too bad some people just cannot suspend their disbelief for a couple hours and enjoy the ride.

May 25, 2008 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  17. bill pike

CRITICS are those people who cannot create. It the same people who carry signs against whatever with no solutions. they also think highly of themselves and again HAVE CREATED NOTHING. i do not ever listen to one of these jerks.

May 25, 2008 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  18. Rita

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" met my expectations and exceeded them. I can say I left the cinema last night feeling quite satisfied, as I did after the first three films all those years ago. "Raiders of the Lost Ark" has the edge on all the sequels, but I'll give this one 4 out of 5 anyway. "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" isn't better than "Raiders" but it is better than "Temple of Doom".

May 25, 2008 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jerry

Very disappointed in the movie. Spielberg and Ford and all of that money and talent......... they have unwittingly tried to create another "Zanidu" (sic). Remember Zanidu? All of that dancing, rollerscating, jugglers, acrobats, etc. etc..... all in the same place at the same time...... a total flop? Spaceships, "the space between space", cliff plunges no man could survive even in a capsle, phony looking special effects (trying to save money I suppose), "period" motorcycles with disc breaks, Natzis invading a highly sensitive US bomb facility unopposed, escaping an atomic direct hit in a frig. (great example of fun for all of the little crum crunchers to emulate ...... hide in the frig for fun), on and on, need I cry more? What happened to the good old Indiana Jones movies where there was actual suspense and relatively realistic stunts for us all to enjoy...... young and old. This was a money sell-out by "big players". They let themselves down along with all of us. I hope this is the last ever of this series. On the other hand, look at the skill, money, effort, talent and stunning results of the continuing James Bond series............. Doesn't that really say it all? To all of you who complain about "we complainers"........... these "big money men" could have done far far far better for their "supporters".

May 24, 2008 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. NICKOLE

I have been an AVID Indy fan over the years but I have to admit, I saw the new film last night and it was a disappointment. My husband and I walked out thinking it was a good film but not Indy. Possibly a set up for another Indy film starring Shia Labeouf? Not the best but with Harrison Ford who can do wrong, right? Quite honestly it was Indiana meets Han Solo. We left with major questions on the purpose of the storyline, didn't fit for Indiana...

May 24, 2008 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  21. fran

right ! i stop listening to critics a long time ago , they are way out of touch with every day people , bunch of snobs any way .been waiting for this move for years and the lines are long to get in .i have been turned a way 3 times and they have two shows going 3 times a day ! thats a bad movie ? looking forward to seeing this one . just a few hours of relief from todays uptight world .

May 24, 2008 at 5:23 am | Report abuse |
  22. Steve

We the people are the best critics. I saw it in the theatre's and although some of it wasn't exactly what I suspected that's the goal of what Steven, George and Harrison were looking for... Something different. I imagine that if I watch it more I will enjoy it more and more just as in Raiders...etc. It was nostalgic the way it should be... it felt familar. I thought it was a great movie and to be honest I think most of us are just glad to see Indy again. One character(Indiana) /person(Ford) that you wish would never age.

May 23, 2008 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  23. idiedalittleinsidewhenisawindie

This movie was awful. It was full of nothing but cheap, poorly written one liners and cheezy over the top acting–esp. Blanchett's ridiculous russian accent. The crystal skull plot was mediocre at best, and Speilberg et. al.'s attempt to build the father son sub plot, that was so well done in the Last Crusade, failed to redeem the CSP.

My biggest problem with this movie, however, was that it was entirely too childish–this is something that the other three movies were not. Why were their cute and cuddly animals in an action/adventure movie? The idiotic CGI prarrie dogs who looked more like the groundhog from Caddy Shack and the monkey army were nothing short of obnoxious.

That being said, this movie will be loved by those people who also like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

May 23, 2008 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Fabian030

Definitely in competition for the silver medal of the series (nothing could beat Harrison and Sean in the same movie ... so don't care about gold).
    It's a really, really good Indy movie, the one I've been waiting for.

May 23, 2008 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Joseph

The new film blew big time!!! It was like close encounters + the Mummy. It sucked!!! There were moments that I really enjoyed, but the new film lacked the emotion and warmth of the original films. I was really wanting to like this fim, but the script was weak, and the scifi influence was lame. Over all, it was great seeing Doctor Jones on the big screen again, but the film left you wondering why they chose such a scfi based story. I was simply sad when I left the theater, because there was no excitement from the crowd, simply no reaction. First they destroy the Star Wars movies, and now this. Simply disappointing.

May 23, 2008 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Alec MacAlister

Who really cares what the critics think? I enjoyed the movie immensely and so what if some talentless hacks that pass them selves off as film critcs agree with me?

The only reason these jackals criticize movies for a living is because they can gain a bit of notoriety and forget that they weren't talented enough to come up with the ideas for the movies by themselves.

The new Indiana Jones movie may not win a lot of awards that us down to earth 'real people' couldn't care less about anyway but it's a couple of hours of harmless, enjoyable escapism that gives us a break from the melodrama of our own lives and all the rubbish that seems to be prevalent on TV these days and especially takes us away from all the political BS that permeates American TV right now.

Thanks Lucas and Spielberg for all your critically panned movies that bring back some of the magic us older folks found in the movies while growing up. Keep 'em coming boys.

May 23, 2008 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Chris

I had the opportunity to see the movie yesterday afternoon. I went in with the attitude that it needed to be treated like a separate entity from the first three films. To me, there was no way that the movie could live up to twenty years of expectations. I remember the feeling of absolute horror that I felt when I saw the first new installation of the Star Wars saga.

I enjoyed the movie for what it was...a series of magnificent chase scenes interwoven with an un-Indy like quest. Just seems that aliens and Area 51 are not what our whip cracking crusader should be all about. I am glad that they made it, but to me it will rank fourth in a series of movies that I enjoyed growing up watching.

May 23, 2008 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Grand Nagus

The ONLY critic I have any respect for is Roger Ebert. He at least wrote screenplays and knows what its like from the creative aspect of things.
    These other critics are all a bunch of pompus as*** who could not write their way through a Dr Seuss book.
    Thae best critics are US... the audience, we go see what we like and thats that. I feel sorry for the person who bases what he/she will go see based on a short quip from some egotistical critic.

May 23, 2008 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  29. Mongo

I hate to agree with negative critics, but the film does not live up to the mythology that has been created by the three previous ones. It feels more like an extended episode of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, hokey and forced.

I get what Spielberg and Company were trying to achieve with the 50's sci-fi B-movie genre, but unfortunately, they set themselves on a higher pedestal when they took elements from the 30's Republic Serials and created films that were top notch with the nostalgic feel.

The actors are fine, but the SFX and stunt double use is extremely obvious and while Raiders, Temple, and Crusade had a built in improbability factor, they made you believe with a solid story and realistic effects. Here, your worst fears come true. Sorry, but I was disappointed.

May 22, 2008 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Kraig Rasool

What is wrong with these people who say "Ahhh Indy was just okay, it could have been better.....Obviously they didnt grow up with the Indiana
    Jones saga many years ago, approx 20 some years ago. My friends and i used to line up here in Wash DC at the largest screen here (The Uptown theatre) to see Indiana Jones films, and ive seen the latest and he still has the power and the thrills he had then.... His sidekick to me does an excellent job as well....People have been so bombarded with movies with so many special effects that when you see someone doing some real fighting and wrestling with the bad guys you say its not enough..... I strongly disagree.... Indy is still Indy and still gets my approval....go Indy go Indy.

May 22, 2008 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  31. Hambone

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach; those who can't do either, become critics. Critics are like eunichs; they both know exactly how it's SUPPOSED to be done.

May 21, 2008 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Corsico

"No Country..." was great, IMHO. Remember, we're ALL critics. Most of us just don't get paid for our criticisms. 😉

Regardless, I want to see this film and I'm sure I'll be 'damn proud' of it too!

May 21, 2008 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  33. rebecca

i agree critics are normally wrong. They want to be smart and pick and don't care if it is a good movie for the masses.

May 20, 2008 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Diana

If the critics don' t like a movie that means it is good, they never get it right...they loved No Country of Old Men...dumbest movie ever made..so go Indy!!! I know you will be great

May 20, 2008 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Benst1

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" has gotten an 80% approval rating from RottenTomatoes.com, the movie critics website, (which was started by Roger Ebert, Pulitzler Prize winner). The majority of critics love the latest Indiana Jones movie, just like they love "Iron Man" which has gotten a 95% approval rating.

Go to RottenTomatoes.com to find out what the Critics really think about a movie.

May 20, 2008 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  36. Laura

Movie critics never get it right. Almost every movie they say is terrible is usually one that is most liked by the public. I never listen to what they say, they are almost always wrong...

May 20, 2008 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  37. D in Fla

I always listen to the critics. If they hate it, I'm going to love it!

May 20, 2008 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  38. iyeong

There should be a web site to critic film critics. That would be fun!!

BTW, when are they making the next "Back to the Future"?

May 20, 2008 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  39. toni

Who needs movie critics? They seem to be a bunch of snobs, especially if they think the movie doesn't live up to their expectations. I stopped listening to them years ago.

May 19, 2008 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |