May 3rd, 2008

Eagles in the desert, lots of love backstage

Notes from Stagecoach, Day 1:

It was the cover of the Eagles' 1976 album, "Hotel California," brought to life.

There they were - Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit and Joe Walsh - silhouetted against a desert oasis, surrounded by gently swaying palm trees and a crowd of 40,000. But this was no flashback mirage. This was opening night of the second annual Stagecoach festival in Indio, California - a three-day country music event just outside Palm Springs.

"We thought it would be a good chance to broaden our horizons in terms of our audience," said Henley. "Maybe there's some country fans who haven't really heard us before. California figures prominently in our history, as does the desert. So we're glad to be here."

Some of the 14 other musical acts on Friday expressed excitement at sharing a bill with the legendary Rock and Roll Hall of Famers. Michelle Branch's parents made the trek from Arizona to catch her set - but not before asking, "Hey, can you get us tickets to see the Eagles?"

"First, they want to see the Eagles, then their granddaughter, then me. I'm not even sloppy seconds. I'm sloppy thirds!" Branch laughingly complained, as her 2-year-old daughter, Owen, ran around the artist compound - a little mini-me in a sundress and pink sandals.

Henley chuckled when informed of Branch's comments. "I gave her a guitar when she was starting out. Tell her I said hi."

Backstage was a big mutual admiration society for the artists. Henley interrupted his interview for a moment when Trisha Yearwood's elegant vocals came soaring through the window of his dressing room trailer. "I hear Miss Yearwood singing. Her voice is unmistakable. God, she's good."

John Fogerty - a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer himself with Creedence Clearwater Revival - admitted, "I'm a huge fan of the Eagles, and I just ran into Glen Campbell."

After his set, Shooter Jennings also caught up with Campbell, who was friends with Shooter's late father, Waylon, back in the day. "It's been great seeing you grow up," Campbell told Shooter affectionately.

"I'm trying, man!" the younger Jennings replied. "I'm hanging on like a hair in a grilled cheese sandwich!"

The two embraced briefly. As Waylon's son left his trailer, Campbell spontaneously burst into a Foo Fighters song. "It's times like these you learn to love again!"

Outside, a roadie brought a dual-necked guitar onto the main stage. That could only mean one thing. The Eagles were just about to launch into "Hotel California." In the '70s, it was a metaphor for decadence. But on this night, it stood for camaraderie within the country rock community. Henley's poignant voice rose above the crowd, which had joined him in singing, "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!"

A cheer rose, as the familiar guitar solo wailed and palm trees danced against the desert backdrop. For a brief moment, Hotel Calfornia was once again filled to capacity.

- Denise Quan, Music Correspondent/Senior Producer, CNN Entertainment

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Teddy Fleckenstein

Sugar also contributes to the moistness of desserts and their tenderness. The flour or starch component in most desserts serves as a protein and gives the dessert structure. Different flours such as All-Purpose Flour or Pastry Flour provide a less rigid gluten network and therefore a different texture. Along with flour desserts may contain a dairy product.;,

My own, personal web site
    <http://www.caramoantourpackage.com/caramoan-package

May 2, 2013 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. Parker Belotti

Dessert is the usually sweet course that concludes a meal. The food that composes the dessert course includes but is not limited to sweet foods. There is a wide variety of desserts in western cultures now including cakes, cookies, biscuits, gelatins, pastries, ice creams, pies, pudding, and candies. Fruit is also commonly found in dessert courses because of its natural sweetness.",

Brand new posting on our personal web blog
    <a href="http://www.caramoanpackage.com/caramoan-tour/

April 25, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JG

Does Branch even know what "sloppy seconds" are?....that's disgusting!....... 🙂

November 1, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Morton

Tokyo Marui Desert Eagles GBB which do you think looks more real?
    Im wondering which do you think looks more real:

The chrome GBB desert eagle or the plain Black GBB desert eagle?

Im want to buy one but i forgot how they look like in person. http://hg2.stonehitaccess.com/map-1.html

October 30, 2010 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. Egbert

Tokyo Marui Desert Eagles GBB which do you think looks more real?
    Im wondering which do you think looks more real:

The chrome GBB desert eagle or the plain Black GBB desert eagle?

October 25, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. T Eagle

Don Felder did submit the verse chord progression for the song and some killer leads. But don't let these Felder Fans fool you! It was Henley and Frey who made the song what it is with the words and arrangement! Plus, about 50% of the lead guitar work belongs to the great Joe Walsh!

The Eagles are still around because their sound has always evolved. The Eagles wouldn't be the Eagles if the lineup hadn't changed. (Meisner hadn't left etc.) It is part of who they are. Just like Felder, who only appeared on 3 and 1/2 of the groups 6 studio albums. Bernie Leadon (who everyone forgets) got the ball rolling for the Eagles guitar work with his banjo pickin' and country leads that complemented Frey's Detroit rock roots so well! Not very many bands can go from what was considered california rock to a "satanic rock period" and finish up with duel talk box leads only to reappear as 60 year old country music grandpas who still fill arenas to capacity.

I love the Eagles and have seen them twice! Anyone who enjoys music should go if they have the chance!

June 13, 2008 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Phil

There are no Eagles without Don Felder.

May 26, 2008 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. Warren

Kathryn K May 12th, 2008 6:11 am ET

I’d love to ask The Eagles….Will there ever be a video made for Hotel California? But then again, maybe there doesn’t need to be one….we’ll just let the things we’ve imagined over the years set the stage for it.
    ----------
    Kathryn K, there is a good bit of in-concert performance footage of HC from that tour. Back when Henley actually played the drums and sang at the same time. Search youtube and you might be able to find some.

May 16, 2008 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pat

Did Wal-Mart sponsor their appearance?

May 13, 2008 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. chrys

How ironic that the article starts off with a reference to "Hotel California" yet the man who wrote the music to that song is never mentioned nor is he with the band anymore – the great DON FELDER, Class of '65, Gainesville, Florida. We remember you Don, oh, yes we do! The Eagles without you and your out of this world guitar riffs is not the same.

May 13, 2008 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kathryn K

I'd love to ask The Eagles....Will there ever be a video made for Hotel California? But then again, maybe there doesn't need to be one....we'll just let the things we've imagined over the years set the stage for it.

May 12, 2008 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. Warren

Found the quote. Sorry, it was 1982. Here it is:

[i]Frey also turned to a collaborator on his album: Jack Tempchin, who co-wrote two of the early Eagles hits, "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and "Already Gone He also worked briefly as producer Karla Bonoff's new "Wild Heart of the Young" album and co-produced with Jerry Wexler the, well-received debut by Texas singer Lou Ann Barton. He's now producing the debut of Jack Mack & the Heart Attack, an L.A.-based soul/rock band. He's also eyeing some live shows.

All this activity has him excited. "I feel great," he said. "I'm involved with a lot of music that I love and I'm my own boss. That's why I know there'll never be an Eagles' 'Greed and Lost Youth' reunion tour. "To me, the Eagles will always be a summer band ... a young band that asked the questions that our generation was asking."[/i]

May 8, 2008 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Warren

The Eagles have gone from being the most boring group live (I saw them in 1977 on the HC tour), to the most boring Vegas act working the tour circuit. How many side musicians are on stage these days with them? A drummer(!), a couple of keyboard players, a guitarist to replace the great Don Felder, and sometimes a horn section.

In a "People" magazine article in 1980, Frey was quoted as saying, "The Eagles are a young band. You won't find us doing the 'Lost Youth and Greed Tour'." Someone's pants are on fire.

May 8, 2008 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. eaglesnyc

Hotel California cover brought to life...not quite.

Add Don and Randy, subtract Timothy then you have it

May 7, 2008 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Wendy

The Eagles are the greatest and are truly amazing in person! I have been very lucky to see them a few times and treasure the Don Henley autograped picture and a group autographed picture I have. I'm a lucky girl! Hell Freezes Over tour was awesome!!!! I love the Eagles and named my dog after Henley years ago. Second dog got the name Eden and I didn't even know the new CD was called Out of Eden. How strange is that?

May 7, 2008 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Lisa

Have seen the Eagles in concert three times and have NEVER been disappointed. Every single song is a hit and one you know every single one of the words to. They even do the numbers that the band members put out as singles outside of the band. They are just incredible!

May 7, 2008 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  17. Joyce

saw them at the Omni in Atlanta back in their prime..it was the most exciting concert. I remember taking bets that they would come out and open up with "Take it Easy" but it was "Hotel California. back in those days, smoking was allowed in the concerts( and some that wasnt..umm..) it was awesome...They are opening up for the brand new venue- Verizon wireless amphitheatre in Alpharetta ,GA on May 16th...cant wait !!! I believe that some tickets are still available, because they had to extend to four shows. I am reading the book about their rise and fall and rise again "Take it to the LImit " and did not realize that Glenn Frey was actually the one to pull the plug..always liked Frey and Henley equally. I hope it is the kind of event that you can be on your feet the whole time singing along.
    Keith Urban is the best single artist concert I have seen lately.

May 6, 2008 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Bobby Jack

Talented musicians and the truly great bands can deliver live...period. They always have. (the) Eagles live shows have always been fairly close to perfection which is their standard. I have seen them several times.

In this day of 15 minute celebrities, overdubbing, sampling, and lip-synching...it's good to see the REAL MUSICIANS getting their due (not that they need it.

There are a number of groups who would fall into this category Aerosmith, Allman Brothers, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers....they can really play...so they do. There are some good new acts that fall into this catagory as well....Thrice....Saosin....

May 6, 2008 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  19. Cadiddledoodle

I saw the Eagles once; Don Henley twice, and Glenn Frey once... I plan on going to whatever concert they have together or individually in the future around the south Florida area. They are great; their voices are top notch – and if I may quote from a fan I heard say this during a Don Henley concert in Boca a couple of years ago – "he's got the greatest rock 'n' roll voice, ever..." How true!!

I hope they keep on keepin' on..... rock or country, the genre doesn't matter to me – they're great!!

May 6, 2008 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  20. Tresa

The Eagles are the best. I have travelled all over the US to see them.
    Probably the best concert was the millennium concert in LA. We
    travelled from Indiana to be there. It was an event we will never
    forget. Thanks Eagles!!

May 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Brisk

The first time I saw the Eagles they were the backup band for Procul Harem in an arena with a capacity of 1000. Every one was like who are these guys they are amazing. They were the best backup band I ever saw. There was a group of bikers who followed them from concert to concert. The next time I saw them was 15 years later at an outdoor concert for 60,000 they were the lead act for Jesse Winchester and Steve Miller. One of the best bands of all time.

May 5, 2008 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Kathy Corrigan

I saw them back in the 70s three times. Saw them in the Jerry Brown benefit concert with Linda Rhonstadt and Jackson Browne. Linda Rhonstadt ended with Desparado and the Eagles came out and started with Desparado! It blew my socks off!

May 5, 2008 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  23. Candy

I have never before seen or heard such a great group in concert as the Eagles. I first saw them at the Rose Bowl in CA during their Hell Freezes tour after hearing /seeing them many years before. They have all developed into stars in their own right and when combining their talents, they are unbelievable! I feel so lucky to have "been there" live to enjoy their act. Don't ever miss them if you get the chance to experience their perfection. I sure won't !!!!!!!

May 4, 2008 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Chris

I have never had the chance or the honor to see the Eagles but I have been lucky enough to see Don Henley twice and he is better in person than on CD. So I am assuming the rest of the Eagles are as well.

May 4, 2008 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Sue

The Eagle are brilliant in concert. I have seen them a couple time, they are better in person than on CD.

May 4, 2008 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |